Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus County,
ed by William Adams, pub 1893.
Town of Olean
Bios of Olean A through I contributed by Ronda Oberlin
Bios of Olean J through Z contributed by Lee Campbell
ABBOTT Family of Olean
D.S. ABBOTT, inventor and manufacturer of saw-mill machinery, was born in Ischua, July 1, 1838. He removed to Olean when sixteen, perfected himself in mechanics, and has long been doing a profitable business in the manufacture of his inventions. He makes lath-mills, lath-packers and trimmers, slab-slashers, shingle-machines, shingle-jointers, drag-saw machines, shingle-bolters, etc. Mr. ABBOTT is a Prohibitionist and was the candidate of that party for sheriff in the election of 1888.
ACKERLY Family of Olean Page: 897 Town of Olean
I.E. ACKERLY, a native of Kennedy, Chautauqua county, was reared on the farm and in early life clerked in stores, and at the age of eighteen began telegraphing, which he followed until 1870, being a year or two train dispatcher. Becoming acquainted with the oil country and the oil business he was finally appointed agent for the Pennsylvania Transit, a pipe-line concern, and shortly afterward was promoted superintendent of all the company's lines, which position he resigned in 1877. Since 1872 Mr. ACKERLY has been engaged largely in the oil business alone. He is a prominent Mason.
ADAMS Family of Olean Page: 897 Town of Olean
Ansel ADAMS, son of Thomas and Anna (THORP) ADAMS, was born in Oak Hill, Greene county, July 16, 1804, and married March 4, 1835, Ruth A., daughter of Benjamin NICHOLS, of Windsor, N.Y. In 1838 they came to Olean, where he died in 1886. In 1839 he was chosen deacon of St. Stephen's Episcopal church and for some time was its senior warden. For a number of years he was prominently engaged in dealing in real estate and merchandise and left at his death a widow and three children, the latter being Edgar A., Norman E., and George A., all born in Olean.
ALDERMAN Family of Olean Page: 897 Town of Olean
E.E. ALDERMAN is a native of Portville, where his early life was passed as a student and clerk. He was born May 4, 1858, and in November, 1887, came to Olean, where he associated himself with L.F. Lawton and has since been engaged in the real estate business under the firm name of E.E. Alderman and Co. Mr. Alderman has been secretary and treasurer to the Buffalo Street Land Company, secretary of the Olean Building, Loan, and Savings Association, and a member of the Executive Committee of the Board of Trade. He has always taken a leading part in the political affairs of the country, and has been the treasurer of the Cattaraugus County Republican Committee.
ALLEN Family of Olean Page: 897-898 Town of Olean
Henry G. ALLEN, son of Stephen and Mary A. (SHELDON) ALLEN, was born in Allegany, May 2, 1838. He began in business as a lumberman. He volunteered in Co. A, 85th N.Y. Vols., July 16, 1861, and served until Nov. 24, 1862, when he re-enlisted in Co. L, 4th U.S. Artillery, for three years, and was discharged at the close of his term of service. March 21, 1866, he married Mary A., daughter of Samuel OOSTERHOUDT. He has since been a farmer in Olean, a lumber merchant of Portsmouth, Ohio, a lumberman and coal dealer in Rexford, Pa., form 1878 to 1881, and postmaster there from 1881 until he resigned in 1885. Since then he has resided in Olean, with a winter residence in Florida.
ANDREWS Family of Olean Page: 898 Town of Olean
Clarence E. ANDREWS, son of George and Charlotte (STODDARD) ANDREWS, was born in Busti, N.Y., Dec. 1, 1849. His paternal grandfather, a native of Vermont, was one of the first settlers of Busti, and held a captain's commission and led his company against the Indians, who afterward recognized him as their special friend. His maternal grandfather, Rev. A.A. STODDARD, also a native of Vermont, was a prominent pioneer Baptist minister, who son, Rev. I.J. STODDARD, now of Iowa, was one of the first Baptist missionaries to India, where he labored about twenty years. George ANDREWS is a farmer and still resides in Busti. C.E. ANDREWS finished an academic education at Jamestown Academy. At the age of eighteen he became a bookeeper in Minnesota, where he spent two years. He next spent twelve or thirteen years as a traveling salesman. In July, 1882, he purchased the furniture of A. BLAKE and has since been one of Olean's energetic business men. Mr. ANDREWS is a member of the Board of Trade and of the Baptist church, and a Republican. In Jan., 1874, he married Augusta F. CAMPBELL of Busti.
ASHTON Family of Olean. Page: 898-899 Town of Olean
Rev. James William ASHTON, D.D., rector of St. Stephen's Episcopal church, was born in Philadelphia, Jan. 18, 1843. His father was Daniel R. ASHTON, who for many years was a well-known teacher, and his mother was Elizabeth Josiah MARSH, a woman of aristocratic type descended from one of the old Revolutionary families. His grandfather, Colonel MARSH was commander of a regiment of the Pennsylvania line and an aide-de-camp of general Washington during the battle of Princeton. The early years of his life were spent under the parental roof, and at the age of sixteen he entered the University of Pennsylvania. While there the Civil war broke out and the military spirit which he inherited from his forefathers was quickened by the patriotic and Spartan-like disposition of his mother, who inspired him with high and noble aims of life. When the first gun of the Rebellion was fired all the patriotic impulses of his nature were stirred and he desired to offer his service as a volunteer soldier, but in consideration of his studies and his immature age it was deemed best to wait. In the meantime his soldierly spirit was not at rest, for he was a member of the University Light Infantry Company. In 1862 he laid aside his academic gown and nobly took his place with the brave men who were fighting for the preservation of the Union. By appointment of Governor Curtin he received a commission as first lieutenant of Co. C. 157th Pa. Vols. His first military duty was discharged in the neighborhood of the city, where he recruited a number of men, and at Fort Delaware Bay, where for a time he acted as post adjutant and learned the science of war, the drill, discipline, and tactics. For some time he was drill-master of a large part of the garrison of the fort, when there were thousands of Confederate prisoners there. Active service, however, was what he sought and he was soon engaged in the neighborhood of Washington and on the line of the Orange & Alexandria railroad in Fairfax county, Va., where he built a blockhouse to protect the road against the raids of rebel calvary under Rosser and Mosby. He was with General Grant at the front in the spring of 1864 and fought in several engagements, and on the 28th of July he received a severe wound in the right scapula, which, along with other and almost fatal disabilities incurred in the line of duty, obtained for him an honorable discharge. He experienced keen regret at being compelled to leave the army, but when health and strength permitted he proceed to carry out his long-cherished ambition of being a Christian minister. His forefathers on both sides had been members of the Church of England and of the Protestant Episcopal church in this country, but from circumstances which occurred before his birth some of his family had drifted into the Baptist church and in its principles he was reared and at the age of fourteen was received into fellowship. He studied for the ministry first in the Episcopal Divinity School in Philadelphia and then in the Baptist Theological Seminary in Newton, Mass. He prepared some young men for college, among the number two who have distinguished themselves as clergymen, and for months he lectured to a large class of wounded and disabled soldiers at the Government hospital, for which service he was liberally compensated by Miss Elizabeth BIDDLE, of Philadelphia. After graduating at Newton his first charge in the Baptist church was at Waterford, N.Y. , and his second the Central Baptist church of Norwich, Conn. In 1871 he resigned from the ministry and membership of the Baptist denomination and was admitted to Holy Orders in the Episcopal church, being confirmed and ordained deacon and priest by the Rt. Rev. William Bacon STEVENS, D.D., Bishop of the Diocese of Pennsylvania, in old Christ church, Philadelphia, a singular coincidence being that, when he stood in front of the chancel he was immediately above the grave of some of his ancestors, who had once been prominently identified with that church. In this change of religious opinions and ecclesiastical connections Dr. ASHTON was governed entirely by the highest principles of conscientiousness, and from a profound belief that in the Episcopal church he could best serve his Lord and Master. In the Episcopal ministry Dr. Ashton has been rector of the Church of Our Merciful Saviour (now the Annunciation), Philadelphia, where he labored for six years, after which he was rector of Grace church in the same city. In April, 1883, he became rector of St. Stephen's church in Olean, which he still holds, it being the longest rectorship in the history of the parish. He took charge of the church at a time when its condition was one of feebleness, and by the strength of his high personal character, coupled with the faculty of organization which he possesses, its condition is now one of strength and influence, not only to the community, but also in the Diocese of Western New York The elegant and costly new stone edifice which occupies a commanding position overlooking the park has been built and paid for during his rectorship. As a pulpit orator Dr. Ashton has rare gifts. Not only in the church but also in the community, is his influence and strong personality felt. He received the degree of Master of Arts from his alma mater and the degree of Doctor of Divinity from Hobart College. He is also a member of the Pennsylvania
BAIRD Family of Olean Page: 899-900
G. W. Delmar BAIRD was born in Ripley, N.Y., Sept. 16, 1847. Receiving his education at the Quincy High School and serving an apprenticeship as a painter, he came to Olean in October, 1877, and entered the employ of the Empire Freight Line, of which he has been for some time its chief clerk, having also served as clerk of the Board of Education and treasurer of the First M.E. church. Mr. Baird married, Nov. 11, 1868, H. Amelia, daughter of Kester TRACY of Ripley.
BARROWS Family of Olean Page: 899-900
Erasmus BARROWS, who was born in Freedom on February 11, 1834, was a resident of Olean about twenty-five years, a portion of which time he practiced dentistry. He married, Aug. 30, 1859, Ellen T., daughter of William B. SHEPARD. Mr. Shepard's father was an early settler of the county and William B. died aged seventy-three on the farm where he was born. Dr. BARROWS died in Olean, Aril 27, 1882.
David E. BARROWS, D.D.S., nephew of Dr. Erasmus BARROWS, was born in Arcade, NY, in 1855. Commencing the study of dentistry with his father when eighteen he practiced with him until 1883, when he came to Olean, where he has since followed his profession. He is a thorough student and is regarded as an expert having successfully treated many difficult cases in dental surgery. Dr. BARROWS married, in 1880, Nettie, daughter of Francis K. DAVIS, or Yorkshire.
BARSE Family of Olean Page: 900
Hon. C.V.B. BARSE, born in Manchester, Ontario county, December 11, 1887, received his education in the common schools and in Penn Yan Academy, and began business as a clerk in a hardware store. ON attaining his majority he embarked in general merchandise business from Franklinville, where he remained until 1851, when he removed to Olean, where he had established a branch store in 1848. In 1864, with H.S. Morris, he established a hardware shore at Bay City, which was continued five years. His son, Mills W. BARSE, was for four years his representative there. In 1868 he was nominated and elected to the State Legislature. He was the founder of the State Bank of Olean in 1870, which was changed in 1878 to the Exchange National Bank. Mr. BARSE was the only president of these banks until his death in 1885. He was also the first canal inspector at Olean in 1857. Sept. 7, 1841, he married Mary H., daughter of Aaron WADE, a farmer of Franklinville; children: Francis L., born June 20, 1844, married D.C. LEFEVRE, of Albany, Mills W., born Dec. 6, 1846; and William C., deceased.
BARTLETT Family of Olean Page: 900
Frank L. BARTLETT was born in Belfast, Allegany county, September 25, 1859, was educated in the common schools and at Friendship Academy, and began his business career in the First National Bank of Cuba. In 1880 he entered the Exchange National Bank of Olean, when the late Hon. C.V.B. BARSE was its active head, and later became assistant cashier. Upon Mr. Barse's death in 1885 Mills W. BARSE was made president and Mr. BARTLETT was promoted cashier, a position he has since ably filled. He has been chairman of the Executive Committee of the Board of Trade, treasurer of the Electric Light and Power Company, treasurer of the village, and director, secretary, and treasurer of the Pennsylvania Lumber Storage Company. In all of these positions Mr. BARTLETT has exhibited a wonderful executive ability. His decisions are quick, but are wrought with sound judgement, and in all transactions he evinces a keen, shrewd penetration.
BAXTER Family of Olean Page: 900
John L. BAXTER, son of John W., was born in Olean, June 21, 1832, and two years later removed with his parents to Friendship, NY, where the father died in 1863. The son married Ellen PHALEN, of St. John's, Ireland, in 1863, and in 1881 located permanently in Olean, where he engaged in the milling business. Mr. BAXTER is a Democrat in politics.
BELL Family of Olean Page: 900-901
C.E. and G.F. BELL (twins), sons of Nathaniel D. and Rebecca (DAVIDSON) BELL, were born in New Hudson, NY, in 1854. They received an academic education in Friendship and were farmers until they attained their majority. They began a commercial business at Kane, Pa., in the fall of 1876. In 1880 they removed to the oil country near Bradford and there engaged in producing oil and selling goods until the fall of 1888, when they settled as dry goods merchants in Olean. The firm of Bell Brothers has recently purchased store property former known as the butler store and re-constructed it into one of the finest equipped dry goods stores in southwestern New York. They employ twenty-five clerks. C.E. BELL married a daughter of John SELL, of Warren Pa., in 1886 and had one son, born April 6, 1889. Mrs. BELL died March 3, 1892, in the thirtieth year of her age.
BIRGE Family of Olean Page: 901
Norman BIRGE, son of John, was born in Coventry, NY, July 7, 1816. His father was a carpenter and a soldier in the War of 1812. Norman BIRGE received a common school education and was a clerk and an apprentice to the trade of harness making. In March , 1839, he settled permanently in Olean and opened a shop for the manufacture of harnesses, in which he was actively engaged until his death in 1892. Dr. Whitney says, "Mr. BIRGE is distinguished as being the owner of the first buggy in Olean." In 1853 Mr. BIRGE married Sarah BARNEY, a native of Vermont, and their only daughter, Jennette, is the wife of Fred B. HUMPHREY, whose children are Grace and James.
BISHOP Family of Olean Page: 901
Jason S. BISHOP, son of Levi and Sarah (HIGGINS) BISHOP, was born in Hume, NY, Sept 27, 1835. His father was a blacksmith and died in 1847, when the family removed to a farm. In 1857 Jason S. went to Kansas, but a year later returned and engaged in the sale of groceries from the spring of 1859 to 1861. He was next a farmer in Granger and Hume until 1874, then a merchant in Fillmore until 1879, when he settled in Olean, where he has since resided. He purchased twenty-seven acres of the Martin farm and platted it into village lots, which he has been engaged in selling. He is senior member of the firm J.S. Bishop and Son, general merchants, and has also been engaged in the oil business. He has served three year son the Board of Education and was a prominent member of the building committee in constructing the State Street Academy. He was one of the largest contributors to secure the location of the Quirin tannery in Olean. July 30, 1861 he married Mary S. MINARD. Children living: George L., born Dec. 20, 1863, junior member of the firm of J.S. Bishop and Son; and Sarah, born May 15, 1865, wife of S.I. HAAS, an architect in Los Angeles, CA.
BLAKE Family of Olean Page: 901
Adoniram BLAKE was born in Milton, VT, July 1, 1824, and when fifteen years of age moved with his parents to St. Lawrence county, NY, where he attended the ST. Lawrence Academy at Potsdam. His father, John B., a native of New Hampshire, died in 1840. After completing his education young BLAKE began the study of dentistry in Albion, Orleans county, which profession he subsequently practiced fifteen years, traveling on a circuit with headquarters at Buffalo, and in 1860 located permanently in Olean, where he formed a partnership with N. S. BUTLER in the dry goods business. Three years later he bought the stock of F. R. EATON, taking as a partner in this enterprise L. W. GIFFORD. He sold his interest in this store three years afterward to Bradley FAUNCE and devoted his attention to his hardware trade, which he had previously established as the second establishment of the kind in Olean, and which he sold in 1880, repurchasing it, however, in 1885 and forming a partnership with W. S. WILKINSON under the firm name of Blake & Wilkinson. In 1874 he built Blake's Opera house at a cost of over $20,000, at that time the finest block in the county. In 1858 Dr. BLAKE married Anna M. BIGELOW of Sardinia, NY. Dr. BLAKE served many years on the Board of Education and the Board of Village Trustees.
BLAKESLEE Family of Olean Page: 901-902
Manley A. BLAKESLEE, born in Perryville, NY, April 4, 1824, came to Olean in 1847, and for three years taught school and clerked. In 1851 he opened the first drug and book store in Olean, which he continued until 1886, except the years 1863 and 1864. Mr. BLAKESLEE is now a surveyor. While in trade as a merchant he was three times burned out.
BLESSING Family of Olean Page: 902
Conrad J. BLESSING, son of John and Apoleno (SHELLING) BLESSING, was born in Allegany, May 2, 1861. He lost his father while yet a lad and was early apprenticed at the blacksmith trade. He began business for himself in his native town about 1880. In 1882 and 1883 he came to Olean and purchased a shop, which was burned, and erected another on the site. He gives his entire attention to horseshoeing. In 1882 he married Huldah BACON, of Allegany.
BLIGHTON Family of Olean Page: 902
Elijah C. BLIGHTON was born in Machias, Feb. 24, 1849. His father was Thomas N. BLIGHTON, a carpenter and joiner by trade, who died there June 9, 1861, after residing in the town some fifteen years. Receiving a commercial education at Arcade, NY, Eliah C. married, in 1873, Ida C. BARGAY, of Concord, Erie county, who died Nov. 14, 1884; he married, second Minnie A. BARGAY in 1886. Locating in Olean in 1875, in the furniture establishment of Hoyt & Oosterhoudt, he began business for himself in 1880 as an undertaker.
BOARDMAN Family of Olean Page: 902-904
The BOARDMAN family of American largely descends from Samuel BOREMAN, and Englishman of prominence, who came to Ipswich, Mass., in 1637, and in 1640 permanently settled in Wethersfield, Conn. He was a man of education and property, and his descendants in every generation have held high positions in both church and State.* (footnote here: The name was spelled BORMAN or BOREMAN until 1712, when it became BORDMAN and later BOARDMAN. The line from Samuel to Jehiel is Samuel (1), Nathaniel (2), Nathaniel (3), Nathaniel (4), Jehiel (5).) A log-book of Timothy BOARDMAN, kept on the Colonial privateer Oliver Cromwell in 1778, giving much of value of early times and also a biography of the author, Rev. Samuel W. BOARDMAN, D.D., was published by the Rutland County Historical Society in 1885. The introduction by the secretary of that society says: "The BOARDMANs are all known as a strictly industrious, upright, religious, scholarly race."
Jehiel BOARDMAN (5) was born at Bolton, Conn., Sept. 30, 1761. Emigrating to Norwich, VT, with his parents in early childhood he, while yet in early youth, commenced active life as a soldier in the Revolutionary army. After the war he became a merchant and lumberman at Norwich, where, in 1789, he married Sally HATCH. In 1795 the glittering reports that came to him concerning the "Western Reserve" (which was just offering itself to civilized occupancy) caused him to take a journey thither. His route was on foot from Norwich to Philadelphia to Pittsburg, finishing his journey to Cincinnati on a government boat loaded with corn. Here General Wayne was drilling his men preparatory to the famous battle with the Indians at Miami. (footnote here: The land where Cincinnati now stands was then selling for $1 an acre, and one mile back from the river it brought twenty-five cents an acre.) Mr. BOARDMAN returned to Norwich with the intention of emigrating to the Western Reserve, but was prevented by the opposition of friends and the dangers and hardships of the journey. In 1799 he removed to Derby, VT, a few miles from the Canada line. Here he cleared up a farm, commenced lumbering, and subsequently engaged in merchandising. In 1813 he decided to move to the Ohio country. His family then consisted of seven children. The long and tedious journey was made with his own teams, taking with him his household goods. They reached Olean early in 1814, then the head of the navigation on the Allegheny, and where boats were fitted out for going down the river. Pleased with the advantages Olean offered Mr. BOARDMAN decided to settle here, purchased land on the north side of lean creek (the present site of Boardmanville), and began to clear and make a home in the dense pine forest, building a log house, in which he lived while clearing and improving his land. In 1817 he built a large frame barn 34 x 54 feet and in 1818 erected a commodious frame dwelling 32 x 44 feet. These buildings were built by hand, as there was no machine work in those days, and they are yet in use, the house now standing on First avenue in Boardmanville. Jehiel BOARDMAN was a man well calculated by disposition and inclination for a pioneer. He was energetic, industrious, and scrupulously honest, and for the score of years he lived in the newly-settled town of Olean his influence was greatly felt and duly appreciated by his fellow citizens. He resided in the home he had built until his death, July 27, 1834. His wife survived him seven years.
Olcott P. BOARDMAN (6), youngest son of Jehiel and Sally (HATCH) BOARDMAN, was born at Derby, VT, March 28, 1810, and came with his parents to Olean. His childhood days were passed in the pioneer's home, and amid the labors and privations incident to that life he attained a manhood vigorous in the sturdy characteristics which make the worthy man. His school education was necessarily limited, but he made good use of the opportunities afforded, and when nineteen years of age became clerk for Hon. F.S. MARTIN; his next employer was G.E. WARREN, a lumber dealer of Pittsburg. He passed the spring and summer seasons in that city and the winters in the Upper Allegany, where he bought lumber. When twenty-two years old he re-purchased the old homestead (his father having lost his title by the bankruptcy of Hoops) from F.A. NORTON, who had become land proprietor of this portion of "Hoop's purchase." In 1833 Mr. BOARDMAN made very many improvements on the homestead, but during the great tornado of March 20, 1834, his unfinished barn was devastated, his house greatly injured, and of his 200 acres of timber hardly a tree was left standing. This disaster, although destroying most of his property, did not discourage him, and he rebuilt and repaired the buildings which were occupied by his parents. From this time until 1849 he was successfully engaged in lumbering, supplying the markets of the cities on the Ohio river from the pineries of the Allegheny and its tributaries. In 1849 Mr. BOARDMAN remodeled the homestead and made it his home. In 1867 he selected and made extensive purchases of land (covered with valuable timber) in the fertile Red River valley of Minnesota. In 1871 the first iron bridge in town was built over Olean creek at Boardmanville by Mr. BOARDMAN, then highway commissioner, despite great opposition. Boardmanville, comprising about thirty acres of the Boardman farm, was platted in 1878. Over five acres was given to streets fifty feet wide and avenues forty feet side. The lots were 50 x 120 feet in size. The first sale of lots was made and buildings erected in the fall of 1879. The deeds have a clause prohibiting the sale of intoxicating liquors. There are now more than 100 good homes with a population of 500 people in Boardmanville, showing the results of a wise and liberal policy of dealing and the benefit of the prohibition of liquor traffic. In Nov, 1883, he moved into his fine brick residence, which he commenced to build in Sept, 1882, on the old homestead site, personally superintending its construction, and here he now resides with his wife and granddaughter amid its lovely surroundings awaiting the Master's call.
Mr. BOARDMAN married, October 3, 1833, Marcia P., daughter of Luman RICE, a prominent pioneer and businessman of Olean. Their son, Luman Olcott BOARDMAN, born at Olean, December 16, 1835, married Emeline C., daughter of Joshua N. BARTLETT of Olean. He died Sept. 11, 1881. Mrs. Emeline C. BOARDMAN died June 1, 1889. Their children were Marcia Rice, born at Olean, and Olcott P., who died Aug. 1, 1871. Mr. BOARDMAN has ever been an important factor in the civil business of the town. In 1838 he was elected justice of the peace at Olean; he was postmaster from 1849 to 1853, toll collector on the Genesee Valley canal at Olean from 1860 to 1862, assistant assessor of United States internal revenue from 1862 to 1866, has also served as town assessor, for years has been a prominent and useful member of the Board of Education, and in many positions of trust has done admirable service. Mr. BOARDMAN is a strong temperance worker and has been a conscientious member of the Presbyterian church for more than half a century. He is a careful and methodical man of business, who has done much service to the community in responsible positions. He stands in the front rank of progress, and the active influence of both himself and estimable wife has been freely given to causes working for the betterment of humanity.
BRADNER Family of Olean Page: 904
John H. BRADNER, the general manager of the large dry goods establishment of George B. ADAMS & Co., is a native of Orange county, and during his residence in Olean has acquired an enviable reputation for honest dealing, strict integrity, and uprightness.
CONKLIN Family of Olean Page: 904
William H. CONKLIN moved from his native town (Greenfield, Saratoga county)to Wyoming county in the fall of 1824. In 1843 he removed to the village of Castile, where he established business as a blacksmith and wagon maker, which he moved to Olean in 1860. Here he has carried on business under the firm name of W.H. & D.C. CONKLIN, manufacturing wagons which have acquired a wide reputation. Mr. CONKLIN is one of the leading citizens of Olean. He is esteemed as a man of substantial worth.
COON Family of Olean Page: 904 Town of Olean
James V.D. COON, M.D. (see also page 157), has doubtless the longest presidential record of any man in Cattaraugus county. Prominent among the Olean organizations of which he has held the position of presiding officer, or of which he is president at the present time, are the Board of Trade since its formation in 1888, the Board of Education, the village, the Electric Light and Power Company, and the Building, Loan, and Savings Association. He has also held other important public positions, being coroner three years, and in all these various capacities, Dr. COON has evinced a broad and liberal mind, absolute integrity, and an intimate knowledge of parliamentary practices. He is an energetic republican and a worthy Mason.
BULLIS Family of Olean Page: 904
Spencer S. BULLIS was born in Aurora, NY, in 1846, and when twenty years old was engaged in the lumber business in that town, going from there to Port Allegany, PA, with his brother, and as Bullis Brothers operated there for five years, when they bought the Fobes mills near State Line, establishing there the town known as Bullis Mills, and also about the same time building the large mills at Carrolton, both of which are still producing large amounts of lumber. His personal lumber interests are conducted under the head of the Allegany Lumber Company (Limited). It was in 1884 that the various lumberman of Olean and vicinity formed what is called the United Lumber Company (Limited), which was finally succeeded by the Pennsylvania Lumber Storage Company, of which Mr. BULLIS was made general manager, and which does business from the Atlantic to the Mississippi. Mr. BULLIS purchased large tracts along the Red House, Quaker Run, Sugar Creek, and Willow Creek valleys, containing some 40,000 acres and tributary to the Allegany & Kinzua railroad. Mr. BULLIS is a central figure in the lumber transactions of northern Pennsylvania. He is the executive officer of all his business enterprises.
CHAMBERLIN Family of Olean Page: 905 Town of Olean
George CHAMBERLIN, son of Moses and Anna (PLATT) CHAMBERLIN, was born in Franklinville, Aug 11, 1821, and was one of a family of fourteen children, eleven of whom grew to maturity. George at the age of twenty-one went on foot to Massachusetts with his cousin Arad WOODRUFF, for the purpose of perfecting a brick-making machine. He remained there about a year without successfully completing the invention, when he left it to his cousin and returned the same way to Cattaraugus county. He next became a millwright, and invented, patented, and perfected a rope-making machine and sold the right for $5,000. About 1848 he came to Olean, where he spent the remainder of his life. Here he established a foundry and machine shop which he continued as a custom and job establishment until he completed and patented his stump-pulling machine, the manufacture and sale of which gave employment to ten men. This business he conducted till his death Oct. 17, 1884. He was a pillar of the Methodist Church and its steward and trustee. Feb. 4, 1846, he married Clarissa CLARK, who was born June 6, 1825, and who died Nov. 6, 1866; children: Henry W., Lewis G., and Ella V.
Henry W. CHAMBERLIN, born March 2, 1847, received a business education in Buffalo, engaged with his father in manufacturing his stump-pulling machines, and was a member of the Chamberlin Manufacturing Company until Feb. 24, 1888, when he became the sole owner of the business and conducted it alone until his death Nov. 9, 1889. The business is continued by Mr. CHAMBERLIN's widow and by Edward TROY, who had long served as book-keeper. Mr. CHAMBERLIN was president of Olean village and a member of the Board of Education. June 9, 1870, he married Emma O. NORTHRUP, of Onondaga county, and they had one daughter, Clara N. Lewis G. CHAMBERLIN was born April 20, 1851, and became a partner in the Chamberlin Manufacturing Company in 1875, where he was engaged until Feb. 1888, when he sold his interest to his brother and engaged in the real estate business and in manufacturing dynamite in Chattanooga, Tenn. He died in Olean, Nov. 16, 1891. May 22, 1877, he married Patience S. PIERCE, of Ischua; children: George L., born Feb. 26, 1878, and C. Husted, born Feb. 9, 1885.
CLARK Family of Olean Page: 905 Town of Olean
Andrew B. CLARK, native of Rushford, NY , was born in 1847 and came to Olean with his parents when he was seven years old. Receiving a good business education he first learned the carpenter's trade and after building the shops, etc. for James H. LUTHER he began with the latter the trade of pattern making which he still follows. 8 Aug 1868, Mr. CLARK m. Carrie S. HARDY of Rushford, Allegany, NY.
COAST Family of Olean Page: 905 Town of Olean
John COAST was born in Venango county, PA, in 1825. His early business operations consisted of manufacturing iron and fire-brick; he was a pioneer in the oil development, being one of the first to engage in the business, and having since successfully followed it, operating in all the fields. Before pipe lines were established Mr. COAST shipped the oil down the river in barges. With his sons F.T. and J.W. he has conducted an extensive oil business and pushed to a successful issue many other enterprises of note.
COON Family of Olean Page: 905-906 Town of Olean
Sam H. COON, the city and associate editor of the "Olean Daily" and "Weekly Times", has been a resident of Olean about seven years, during which time he has thoroughly identified himself with the material interests of the city. Mr. COON was born at Ashaway, RI, and at an early age went to Wisconsin,where his youth was spent. He learned the printer's trade in a country newspaper office in Wisconsin, and attended school at Albion (Wis.) Academy and Alfred (NY) University. He began his newspaper experience with Ferrin & Weber on the "Cattaraugus Republican". Mr. COON has a wide acquaintance in journalism and is regarded as a versatile writer.
DOWNS Family of Olean Page: 906 Town of Olean
John W. DOWNS was born in Wellsville, Allegany county, July 4, 1862, and came to Olean in 1877 in the interests of Bullis Brothers, which firm soon afterward merged into the Allegany Lumber Company, with whom Mr. DOWNS continues as superintendent of the lumber department.
DUFFY Family of Olean Page: 906 Town of Olean
Patrick J. DUFFY, born in Ireland, July 9, 1850, became a merchant tailor in Olean in 1880. In May, 1879, he married Mary E. LeSTRANGE, of Pennsylvania. He is a highly respected citizen and a careful business man.
DUKE Family of Olean Page: 906 Town of Olean
Joseph DUKE, son of William and Elizabeth (COKAYNE) DUKE, natives of England who emigrated to America about 1829, was born in Conklin, NY, April 23, 1836. In 1841 the family removed to Scio, NY, and July 3, 1866, he married Emily REASER at Hammondsprt, NY. He settled in McKean county, PA, with his brothers, and built up the village of Duke's Center, named in their honor. They bought quite extensively of cheap lands and when it was discovered that they were situated in the Bradford oil belt large parcels were sold. They were also extensive lumber dealers and manufacturers. In the spring of 1875William and Joseph DUKE went to Bradford and opened there the fist lumber yard. Later they bought extensively lands which proved to be good oil territory. Joseph DUKE was a director in the Bradford National Bank and when Bradford became a city he was nominated by the Republicans for mayor, but declined the honor. He was for years intimately connected with Olean and decided to make it his home. He removed hither and purchased one of the most eligible sites in town, upon which he commenced the erection of a fine residence, but died Dec. 25, 1884. The Bradford Oil Exchange, of which he was a member, convened at once, appointed a committee of five members who attended his funeral, and adopted resolutions, in which were these words: "In his death the Exchange loses a member whose quiet, unobtrusive life was a synonym of all the attributes which adorn life and make man respected." Mrs. DUKE resides in Olean. Children: Joseph Hanford, b. Dec 25, 1868, of Corry, PA, and Myron J., born Dec 3, 1875.
John DUKE, son of William and a native of Corbettsville, NY, was born April 14, 1832. After his father's death in 1848 he remained with his mother until he attained his majority, when he became a millwright, which, with farming and lumbering, he followed the ensuing twenty years. About 1868, with his brothers Thomas, Joseph, and Charles, he removed from Scio to McKean county, PA, and settled in the hamlet now known as Duke's Center, where he continued his old occupation until 1878, when he commenced oil operations by sinking two wells on his own lands, which have since constantly produced oil. In 1881 he came to Olean and built a beautiful residence and a brick block on Union street which bears his name. He is also interested in real estate, and is identified with the denomination of Disciples of Christ at Duke's Center, to which he gave the grounds and most of the funds for the erection of the church edifice of the First Church of Christ, and also planned and laid out the Duke's Center Cemetery. Mr. DUKE married Nancy J., the daughter of Joseph MORGAN, of Scio. They have an adopted son, William C. DUKE, a farmer at Duke's Center, who married Ella PIERCE and has sons John G., G. Wellington, and Daniel.
EATON Family of Olean Page: 906-907 Town of Olean
Fred R. EATON, born in Springville, NY, July 24, 1833, was educated in Springville Academy, and in 1856 became interested in mercantile business in Olean, but for two years thereafter remained personally in Buffalo, acting as under-sheriff under his father-in-law, Orrin T. LOCKWOOD. In 1858 he removed with his family to Olean and was an active merchant here thirty years. During that time his stores were burned four different times and upon two occasions the loss was total. During his business career he built fourteen stores on Union street between State and Laurens, two of which are now standing, all the others having been burned. There are now standing in the city eleven dwelling houses which were also built by him. In politics Mr. EATON has always been a republican, and as such was elected supervisor of Olean in 1863 and 1864. As a member of the town board during the war he successfully resisted an attempt to repudiate town bonds issued to resident volunteers for the purpose of keeping the quota full. In 1879 Mr. EATON was elected president of the village and re-elected in 1880. In 1886 business called him to Duluth, Minn., where he has since spent most of his time.
EATON Family of Olean Page: 907 Town of Olean
A.T. EATON was born in Cuba, NY, and has spent most of his life in banking institutions. After residing a number of years in the west he returned to Cuba, where he entered a bank as collection clerk
EMERSON Family of Olean Page: 907 Town of Olean
Andrew J. EMERSON was born in Allen, NY, Feb 28, 1856, and married Lula ALLEN, of the same place, who was born Dec. 3, 1855; children: Susie and Grace. Mr. EMERSON came to Olean in 1886 and shortly afterward established his present business of manufacturing marble and granite monuments.
FARLEY Family of Olean Page: 907 Town of Olean
JAMES FARLEY was born in Havana, Schuyler county, August 6, 1856, and at the age of seventeen located in Olean, where he has since resided. Feb. 8, 1882, he opened the Buffalo House, which he still conducts as a hotel. July 2, 1878, Mr. FARLEY married Anna M. LAMBECK, of Olean. A Democrat in politics he was elected alderman of his (the 3d) ward in 1887.
FIX Family of Olean Page: 907 Town of Olean
Jacob FIX, born in Batavia, NY, August 19, 1868, located in Olean as baker and confectioner in 1886. He has built up a profitable business and a good reputation and enjoys the respect of a large circle of friends.
FRANCHOTT Family of Olean Page: 907 Town of Olean
N.V.V. FRANCHOT was born in Morris, Otsego county, August 21, 1855, and attended and was graduated form the Union School at Schenectady and from Union College in 1875. He began business in Millerstown, PA, but removed to Olean, Sept. 1, 1878, where he has since resided. His operations have been principally in producing petroleum in connection with the firm of Franchot Brothers, of which he was the senior and active member. He is interested in the Tidewater Pipe-Line Company, in some valuable mines in Canada, and in real estate in Washington and Olean. Mr. FRANCHOT was chairman of the Executive Committee of the Board of Trade its first year. He stands high in the councils of the Republican party, and as a business man and citizen is energetic, progressive, and competent.
FRAWLEY Family of Olean Page: 907 Town of Olean
John B. FRAWLEY, born in Owego, NY, Feb. 20, 1845, began learning his trade of tinsmith in Syracuse in 1863 and located in Olean in 1879, establishing himself in the hardware business, which he still follows. May 29, 1872, he married Margaret E. ROACH of Owego. Mr. FRAWLEY was for some time a member of the Board of Education.
GALLAGHER Family of Olean Page: 908 Town of Olean
GALLAGHER Brothers, sons of James GALLAGHER, came to Olean in 1878 and engaged in the manufacture and sale of nitroglycerine and dynamite, and did a large business in the Bradford, West Virginia, and Ohio oil fields, where they torpedoed successfully hundreds of wells. James E. GALLAGHER, the senior brother, is the patentee of the valuable "Explosive Weight," which will explode a torpedo or other explosive at any depth and 2,000 feet under water.
GILLINGHAM Family of Olean Page: 908 Town of Olean
Charles GILLINGHAM, a native of England, came to this country in 1852, when twenty-six years of age, locating at once in Olean. Being a carpenter by trade he soon began contracting and has since successfully followed that line of business. In 1865, after the great fire, he started the Olean Sash Factory. Mr. GILLINGHAM has built many public buildings, among them the Chamberlain Institute and Dow's Bank at Randloph, St. Bonaventure's College at Allegany, First M.E. church and Alumni hall of Ingham University at LeRoy, and the Exchange National Bank and the Methodist, Baptist and Episcopal churches in Olean. Although naturally of a quiet temperament he is relied upon for active work in all philanthropic measures. He is a staunch Republican and a fearless temperance advocate, is a director of the Forman Library Association, and the oldest member in point of service on the Board of Education. Perhaps his greatest efforts outside of business have been in the line of church work. He has long been a member and supporter of the Methodist church of Olean, being for many years superintendent of the Sunday school, and occupying various other official positions.
GODFREY Family of Olean Page: 908 Town of Olean
David P. GODFREY, son of Joel and Pemelia (PECK) GODFREY, was born in West Bloomfield, NY, Sept. 1, 1813, and in the spring of 1827 came with his father to Yankee hill in Ischua. In Dec. 1829, they removed to Pleasant valley in Olean, about two miles north of the village. In 1834 he purchased his first 100 acres of wild land of Frederick A. NORTON, paid for it, and added to it from time to time until he had nearly 300 acres. He has aided in building the local school house and two church edifices for the Methodists, of which church he is a member and trustee. In 1841 he married Abigail BOUTON, by whom he had one son, Elisaph D., born in Jan. 1842. He enlisted in the 154th NY Vols. and received a gunshot wound at the battle of Chancellorsville. Upon recovery he was again employed by the government, which he has continuously served to the present time, bing now in the Pension Department as a travelling agent. He married Amanda HICKS; children living: Carrie (Mrs. Charles OOSTERHOUDT); Orrin W. and Frank N., of the firm of D.P. GODFREY and Sons, farmers, breeders of full blood Holstein cattle, milk dealers, who reside on the homestead; I. Mulvin, a farmer in Portville; Elmer M., express messenger; and Fred W., a photographer in Olean. Orrin W. GODFREY, born on the farm where he now resides, Jan 30, 1849, was educated in the common school of his district and in Olean Academy, and has always been a farmer. May 24, 1871 he married Frances H., daughter of John A and Elizabeth C. (TUBBS) OLDS, of Smethport, PA, who where pioneers of McKean county. Children: Mina A. and Myra E. (twins), born Aug. 15, 1873, and Elizabeth A., born Sept. 13, 1888. Frank N. GODFREY, also born on the homestead, June 29, 1852, married, Sept. 13, 1886, Helen A. VAN DUSEN, of Olean, and has one daughter, Ruth A., born April 1, 1889.
HASTINGS Family of Olean Page: 908-909 Town of Olean
Henry HASTINGS, son of Barnabas and Permelia (FOX) HASTINGS, was born in Cortland county Dec. 5, 1828. In 1836 his parents removed to Sardinia, NY, and his mother died in September following. At the age of 15 he began working in summer and attending school in winter, and learned the carpenter's trade in Ontario county, where he resided about five years. In the fall of 1851 he came to Olean, where he has since resided. He has been a carpenter and builder nearly forty years, and is also a farmer on lot 3. Mr. HASTINGS has been highway commissioner four years and with his colleagues in office built the first Iron bridge in Olean. He also served as assessor one term. Sept. 20, 1855, he married Sarah, daughter of the pioneer, William B. SHEPERD; children: Fred B., born Sept. 28, 1856; Ellen S., born Sept. 14, 1858; Wm. H., born Jan. 1, 1874; Frank E., born Jan. 1, 1866, died Nov. 2, 1876.
HAUGH Family of Olean Page: 909 Town of Olean
Michael J. HAUGH was born in Ireland, Aug. 15 1853, came with his parents to America when seven years of age, and finally learned the trade of stone cutter, which he followed several years. Locating in Olean in 1879 he established his present bottling works, being also a dealer in ice, and meeting in all his business enterprises with excellent success. June 12, 1881, he married Margaret MCGUINN, of Weston's Mills.
HEILBRUNN Family of Olean Page: 909 Town of Olean
Joseph HEILBRUNN, a native of Germany, was born May 17, 1848, immigrated to America in 1866, and located in Olean in 1880, where he started a small business in peddlers' supplies, which he constantly increased in volume to the present proportions. His wife is Rosa ROSENBAUM, whom he married in October, 1880.
HIGGINS Family of Olean Page: 909 Town of Olean
Orin T. HIGGINS was born in Centerville, Allegany county, August 14, 1826. He successfully followed the mercantile business for many years in Allegany county and was engaged in banking and other commercial enterprises, through which he amassed an ample fortune. Mr. Higgins latterly gave his entire attention to his extensive timber and real estate interests, principally in Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. He was president of the Higgins Land Company and treasurer of the Olean Land Company, and was one of the largest individual owners of white pine timbered lands in the United States. He had also extensive real estate interests in this city. He died March 3, 1890.
HIGGINS Family of Olean Page: 909 Town of Olean
Frank W. HIGGINS was born in Rushford in 1856. His schooling was finished at the Riverview Military Academy on the Hudson, after which, at the age of twenty, he went in to trade in Michigan. In 1879 he came to Olean and took the active management of the business of Higgins, Blodgett & Co. who at that time were running a number of stores in the oil country and in Allegany and Wyoming counties. He now devotes most of his time to western land interests. An active Republican, he has been chairman of the County Committee, and was a member from the 34th Congressional District to the Chicago convention of 1888. He did effective work upon the stump during the campaign of that year and is among the recognized leaders of his party in this part of the State. His name is spoken of as a candidate of his party for a State senator. He is president of the Forman Library Association, has been eminent commander of the St. John's Commandery, K.T., was a member of the St. Stephen's church building committee, and a member of the Executive Committee of the Board of Trade.
HOLLY Family of Olean Page: 909 Town of Olean
George J. HOLLY, born in Ceres, Allegany county, in 1860, married in 1881, Emily R. duaghter of Dewitt C. ALLEN, of Allentown, Allegany county. He is a member of the 43d Separate Company and his wife is a dealer in hair goods, etc., in Olean. Her father, who died in 1864, was a prominent resident of Allegany county, holding several important offices and being extensively engaged in business enterprises.
HOMER Family of Olean Page: 909-910 Town of Olean
Samuel R. HOMER was born in Lowell, Mass., Feb. 1, 1817, and died in Olean, March 20, 1889. Mr. HOMER came to Olean about the time of the construction of the New York, Lake Erie & Western railroad in 1841, with which he was prominently connected, being the superintendent of construction of the telegraph lines from Jersey City westward to Little Valley. Upon the completion of the road he took charge of the dining-room at the Olean station, which he conducted for many years. With the exception of about two years Mr. HOMER has been continuously a resident of Olean since 1851. In 1859 he became associated with ex-Governor Horatio SEYMOUR in the lumber business in this town, and the two were jointly the owners for many years of a large tract of real estate north of the city. Their partnership relations were dissolved about 1880, but their personal relations remained of the most close and intimate character until the death of the ex-governor. Until the advancing years brought feeble health Mr. HOMER was actively engaged in business enterprises, in which he was successful in a marked degree. He had led an upright, honorable and useful life. He generously placed at the disposal of the Board of Trade valuable and desirable tracts of land, was prominently connected with the Masonic bodies in the city, and was one of the early members of St. John's Commandery, K.T. He married, Nov. 14, 1845 Sarah A. CLARK; children residing in Olean: Eugene A., George D., and James M. Goerge D. HOMER was born in Piermont NH, July 27, 1849, and with his brothers is a farmer and stock breeder. James M. HOMER, born in Olean, April 3, 1852, married September 20, 1883, Hattie D. ROOT, of Bolivar NY. Eugene A. HOMER is the Olean agent for the American Express Company.
HUTCHINGS Family of Olean Page: 910 Town of Olean
William HUTCHINGS, and Englishman by birth and parentage, was born in 1851, came to America, locating in Armstrong county, PA, in 1869, where he was engaged in the oil business, and in 1883 settled in Olean, where he opened the Genesee House. In 1881 He married Eva SUTTON, of Greece City, PA.
IRISH Family of Olean Page: 910 Town of Olean
William M. IRISH, general local manager of the Standard Oil Company, was born at Fair Haven, MA, July 2, 1829, served as clerk in the customs office at New Bedford during the administration of Pierce and Buchanan, and in 1861 engaged in the petroleum oil refining business at that place, being made superintendent of the New Bedford Oil Company, which was one of the first to engage in refining petroleum. In 1865 Mr. IRISH came to the oil country and became the superintendent and treasurer of the Wamsutta Oil Company, which was located on Oil creek. In 1872 he became the superintendent of the Octave Refining Company at Titusville, remaining with that company until it was sold to the Acme Refining Company in 1876. Mr. IRISH came to this city in May, 1876, taking the position of general manager of the Acme Works, which position he has since held. IN point of years of experience he is one of the oldest oil refiners in the country, and has acquired a thorough and independent practical and scientific knowledge of the business. His opinions on the various branches of oil refining are recognized as high authority, and he is frequently called upon as an expert. He was a member of the school board and city council of Titusville for several years, a member of the Board of Education of this city nearly eight years, being president of the board a considerable part of the time, and was president of the first Board of Water Commissioners in Olean, during which administration the works were constructed. He was appointed by Governor Cleveland a member of the Board of Directors of the State Insane Asylum at Buffalo and was reappointed by Governor Hill. Mr. IRISH is one of the directors of the Olean Electric Light and Power Company, was president of the Board of Trade and remains interested in the growth and advancement of the town. He is now President of the Board of Health and one of the supervisors of the city.
JACKSON Family of Olean. p. 911
Edward S. Jackson, son of Dr. Thomas S and Sarah A. (Percival) Jackson was born in Portville, Oct. 13, 1859, was educated in the public schools, commenced the study of dentistry in 1878, and was graduated from the Pennsylvania College of Dental Surgery in Philadelphia in the spring of 1887. He at once settled in Olean for the practice of his profession, where he is still engaged. He is a member of the Eighth District Dental Society of the State of New York and a member and a steward of the First M. E. church of Olean. June 5, 1881, he married Carrie M., daughter of Dr. L. M. Raub, of Bolivar; children: Albert H. and Lewis E.
JOHNSON Family of Olean. 1893. p. 911
James G. Johnson, of English descent, came from Canandaigua to Olean (then known as Hamilton) in 1808 and commenced the first settlement within the corporate limits of the present city. He was immediately joined by Sylvanus Russell and Bibbins Follett. Mr. Johnson died early in 1811. At his death his widow, whose maiden name was Sophia Stone, of Scotch parentage and on her motherís side a descendant of the Dudley family, returned to her fatherís house in Bloomfield, Ontario county where her son, James G. Johnson, who was given his fatherís name, was born Sept. 13, 1811. Mrs. Johnson remained with her father until 1819, when she returned to Olean. About this time James G-, Jr., commenced attending school, which he continued two years, after which his school days were limited to the winter season, and were discontinued when he reached the age of thirteen. At the age of fourteen he left home and for eight months was clerk in a store at Centerville. He then entered the store of Ebenezer Lockwood in Olean where he remained two years, when Mr. Lockwood discontinued business. He was next a clerk with William Bagley. In 1831 he entered the store of the late Judge Martin at a salary of $10 per month and board and washing. Prior to this he had a stated salary with Osborne & Bockes a few months. Young Johnson continued in the employ of Judge Martin five years, when he became a partner under the firm name of Martin & Johnson, which partner-ship was continued nine years. In 1846 he removed to Allegany, where he had previously bought a tract of timber land and a saw-mill, and engaged in the manufacture and sale of lumber and also carried on a mercantile business. In company with Eleazar Harmon, of Ellicottville, he platted into lots and sold the grounds where the village of Allegany has since been built. In 1854, with Gilbert Palen, he built and operated the sole-leather tannery afterward owned by the late J B. Strong. In 1862, at the suggestion of the late Hon.E. Fenton, then member of Congress, he was commissioned by President Lincoln captain and assistant quartermaster, and assigned to duty in the Army of the Potomac. I-Ie saw the battle of South Mountain and Antietam and was with the army under General McClellan and General Burnside in its march to Fredericksburg. He was stationed at Aquia creek in the winter of 1863-64 and subsequently at Harrisburg, where he remained on duty until the close of the war. For meritorious service he was promoted to the rank of colonel of volunteers. He returned to Olean with his health impaired, but again established an extensive mercantile business, which he continued some years and resigned it to his sons. He was active in the formation of the First National Bank of Olean, of which he was one of its directors. He was convinced that Olean and Allegany were within the Bradford oil belt, and he so impressed others with his convictions that they, with him, formed a company and sunk the first oil wells in both these towns, on land leased by him to the company. Colonel Johnson was first a Whig and an active worker in that partyís ranks. He was nominated by his party in 1848 for the State Legislature and was elected. His brother, Marcus H. Johnson, who was residing in the Second District of this county, was nominated the same year by the Democrats and elected over the Whig nominee. In the fall of 1849 his party nominated and elected him county clerk. In 1871 he was appointed postmaster of Olean and filled the position until 1877. He was also supervisor of Olean in 1840, Ď843, 1844, arid 1845 and of Allegany in 1855.
JOHNSON Family of Olean. p. 912
Elisha M Johnson, son of James G., was born June 13, 1844. With his brother Marcus H., under the firm name of Johnson Brothers, carried on for many years an extensive grocery and produce trade. Marcus H. died in 1876 and Elisha M. became an oil producer. He was elected to the Legislature in I1880 and in 1883-84 was a member- of the Republican State Committee. Sept. 2, 1874, he married Cornelia Harriet Jackson, of Avon, N. Y.
JOHNSON Family of Olean. p. 912
James F Johnson, a native of Lisle, N. Y., was born Nov. 3, 1831, was for three years succeeding 1851 a miner in California, and in 1855 located in Olean where he has been a justice of the peace about twenty years, conducting also an extensive real estate business He was deputy sheriff six years. In 1856 he married Mary E., daughter of Dr John Mason, of Mercer, Pa.
Julius JOHNSON Family of Olean. p. 912
Julius P. Johnson was born March 18, 1847, in Darien, Genesee county, spent two years at and was graduated in 1863 from the Poughkeepsie Business College, and in 1868 located in Olean, where he has since followed the avocation of book-keeper, being also an expert accountant. Aug. 18, 1868, he married Lodema E. Carr, of Byron, Genesee county. Their daughter Nellie S. is a graduate of the Olean High School and a book-keeper by profession. Mr. Johnson is a staunch Democrat.
James M. JOHNSON Family of Olean. p. 912
James M Johnson, son of James S. and Sarah (Root) Johnson, was born In Ellicottville, April 29, 1856, was educated in the Ellicottville Union Free School and by ex-District Attorney G. M. Rider and District Attorney J. H. Waring, and was a clerk in the postoffice of his native town two years, after which he became assistant at Hinsdale. Two years later he was employed in a general store in Franklinville. In 1881 he formed a partnership with the late Samuel Oosterhoudt in the shoe business. Mr. Oosterhoudt died in the fall of 1884, when Mr. Johnson sold to the estate of his partner. He soon after purchased the store of L. Latimer & Co. and has since continued the shoe business alone. He is also interested with a partner in a similar store in Jamestown. He is a member of the Board of Trade, and as a Republican has represented Olean in the county conventions and on the Republican Count Committee. In Jan., 1884, be married Anna S., only child of N. S. Goodwin, of Olean. They have two daughters.
KERR Family of Olean. p. 912
Will J. Kerr, a native of Liverpool, England, came to America in i868 and to Olean in 1886, where, about 1888, he commenced the jewelry business, in which he has been eminently successful and maintains an excellent reputation.
If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact us at:
This page is maintained by the PHGS
Last Update February 2, 2020