CATTARAUGUS COUNTY, NEW YORK
Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some
of its Prominent
Men and Pioneers.
L.H. Everts, 1879, Edited by Franklin Ellis
Transcribed from pages 369-374 by Cindi Clark
The town of Farmersville lies upon the east
border of the county,
north of the centre.
Its surface is a hilly upland and forms a water-shed, from
streams flow north into Lake Erie, cast into the Genesee, and south
the Allegany. The highest point, near the centre, is from 800
900 feet above the railroad at Olean.
The only considerable stream is Ischua Creek, which flows
through the west part. Mud Lake, in the north part, covers an
of about 40 acres, and discharges its waters to the
The soil upon the uplands is chiefly a vegetable mould,
on clay, slate, and shale; that in the valleys is a gravelly
It is well adapted to grazing and stock-raising.
are chiefly agriculturists, and cheese is the chief source of
The milk of about 2400 cows in manufactured into this product by the
cheese-factories situated within its borders.
The town contains a total area of 29, 843 acres, of which 19,
830 acres are improved. Its population in 1875 was 1094, a
of 295 since 1860.
While the settlement in 1817 of Peter and
Cornelius Ten Broeck,
Richard Tozer, Peleg Robbins, and Levi Peet, in its results, may have
the first permanent one in the territory now known as Farmersville, it
is an established fact that settlements were projected some twelve
previously. In 1805, Asaph Butler, Jeremiah Burroughs, John
William Vinton, Calvin Chamberlain, and Elijah Johnson entered into
with the agents of the Holland Land Company for lands in township 5,
4; and in 1811, Gideon Lewis, Ezekiel Runals, Samuel Blancher, Benjamin
Jenks, Jr., William Parks, and George Parks mode contracts with the
company for lands in township 5, range 3.
It has not been ascertained that any of these contractors
settlers. If they did, their stay was brief, and no
were made. But we have very good evidence that settlers,
those named, were hear as early as 1810 or 1812.
Hon. Smith Parish, of Portville, became a resident of
in 1821. The country was then a wilderness, comparatively;
were but few settlers, and they had but a few acres of cleared land
and things as they then appeared to him are remembered with
distinctness. He says that when he came here a deserted log
and barn were standing on a small clearing, situated near the outlet of
Mud Lake. The rafters or poles that supported the roof of the
had rotted, and were falling in, and that both buildings presented the
appearance of having been built some ten or twelve years. He
that the builder and original occupant of the premises was a man named
Pixley, who, after living here some two or three years, gave up the
of clearing away the large elms and other giants of the forest, which
the ground on all side, and removed farther west.
He also remembers that near the inlet of the same lake was
small log house, surrounded by a little patch of cleared
This house had been built and occupied by a man named Bradford; yet he
thinks that at the time Judge Ten Broeck and his comrades made their
in the central part of the town, in 1817 these cabins were already
and there is justice in their claim that they were the first permanent
As Judge Peter Ten Broeck was the pioneer of those men who
the first permanent residents of the town of Farmersville, and as he
during his lifetime, the prominent man of the town, as well as one of
most prominent men of Cattaraugus County, we reproduce the following
the “Old Pioneers of Cattaraugus County:”
In 1816, Peter Ten Broeck, a young man twenty-three years of
age and of German extraction, left his father’s house in Otsego Co., N.
Y., to seek his fortune in the far “West.” His outfit was
consisting of a single change of clothing, and barely ready money
to defray his traveling expenses. With his pack on his back
alone and on foot the entire distance from Otsego County to Erie, Pa.,
reaching that borough the latter part of May. He had examined
considerable care the country over which he had passed, and after a
at Erie for a few days he set out on his return. Taking his
across the country, through Chautauqua County to Connewango, Little
and Ellicottville, he reached a small settlement on Ischua Creek, now
as Franklinville, June 6, 1816. Spending a day or two
for rest, he renewed his journey homeward, where he arrived in the
part of July.
In October of the same year, accompanied by his brother,
(who died in Farmersville in 1843), and Richard Tozer, he again started
on foot to seek a home in Cattaraugus. They carried their own
which were replenished by purchase from farmers and others living along
their route. They were nearly a month on the road, reaching
Franklinville, Ellicottville, Little Valley, Great Valley, and a part
Napoli and Connewango. They saw nothing particularly
they left the valley of Ischua, and finally resolved to return to
or Farmersville, and take up farms in that vicinity. Soon
return to Franklinville, Mr. Ten Broeck was deputed by his associates
go to the land-office at Batavia and contract with the Holland Land
for three farms. This he did, contracting for 600 acres, --
himself, 200 for his brother Cornelius, and 200 for Mr.
and Tozer accompanied him out as far as the Genesee River, where they
by the day during Mr. Ten Broeck’s absence. On his return
earned money enough to purchase a month’s supply of flour, beef, and
The flour was baked into bread, and the supplies divided into three
parts, and each taking his sack on his shoulder, they then again sought
their wilderness home. Arriving there in due time, they set
staking and “blazing” out their lots. Winter coming on, and
having been made for a stay through it, they returned to Otsego
In February, 1817, the three returned again, their company increased by
the addition of Capt. Peleg Robbins and Levi Peet.
Before leaving the fall previous, the three new settlers had
erected a small log house, and completed it except the roof.
first business of the party, on their return, was to procure the
covering for their “log mansion.” The first two nights were
in the inclosure, which was partially covered with canvas.
protected the stout-hearted pioneers from the storm, which began the
they reached there, and continued for thirty-six hours. Snow
to the depth of three feet; but notwithstanding this, as their
were great, Ten Broeck and Tozer with an ox-team made their way through
the woods and snow to McClure’s saw-mill, 10 miles distant, for boards
to cover their log house, which was to serve as an abiding-place for
whole party. The boards were obtained, the house finished as
as it could be, and soon the curling smoke of an old-fashioned log fire
was making its way above the surrounding tree-tops. Here the
new settlers labored together, ate, drank, slept, and whiled away their
leisure hours, until the following May, when various members of the
erected two or three additional log houses, and the locality began to
like a thriving settlement. This was the establishment of the
settlement within the boundaries of Farmersville, and was upon the site
of the present village of the same name.
About the middle of May, 1817, Mr. Peter Ten Broeck caught
“Western fever,” and disposing of his land interest to Levi Peet, one
his companions, he, accompanied by Capt. Robbins, left for the
They returned to Farmersville the latter part of August of
same year. Here they remained for a few weeks, when Mr. Ten
and his brother Cornelius returned on foot to Otsego County, by the way
of Buffalo, Niagara Falls, and Rochester.
The greater part of the fall and winter of 1817-18, the
remained at their old home in Otsego County. In February,
returned to Farmersville. The fall of the same year Peter Ten
contracted for 50 acres of land in the southwest part of the town,
he brother settled in the central part, in the vicinity of Messrs.
Peet, and Tozer. Peter Ten Broeck built a log house the same
and in it kept “bachelor’s hall” until about 1822, when he married a
Freeman, daughter of Judge Freeman, then one of the judges of the old
of Common Pleas of Cattaraugus County. Soon after his
Ten Broeck began to enlarge his landed possessions, adding a little
by year for a period of forty years, until his acres were numbered by
thousands, and his personal estate by the hundred thousands.
farm was about six miles long by one mile wide, and raising,
and fattening cattle became his principal business. In 1822
appointed an associate county judge by Gov. Yates, and continued to
in that capacity until 1827. In 1837 he was reappointed to
office by Gov. Marcy, and held the office and discharged its duties
until the adoption of the new constitution of 1846.
During the interim from 1827 to 1837 he was appointed an
of the Holland Land Company, charged with the duty of collecting the
due the company in the counties of Cattaraugus, Allegany, and
He held this appointment until the Holland Land Company sold their
to other parties, and was for two or three years the agent of the
successors, represented by the Hon. Staley N. Clarke.
Judge Ten Broeck was a man of iron nerve, and of large
being over six feet in height. In private life he was
of easy manners, cordial and confiding to his friends. He
his high rank as a private citizen, and became the largest land-owner
Western New York by the closest attention to business, and the practice
of frugality, without being in the last degree open to the charge of
The settlers before mentioned were all unmarried men except
Isolated as they were in their wilderness home, they found it
necessary to make some local laws for the government of their small
They drew up a code, signed it themselves, and induced others to sign
as they came in. One section of their mutual statute was as
“If any single woman who is over fourteen years of age shall
come to reside in out village, and no one of this Confederacy shall
her his company within a fortnight thereafter, then, and in such case,
our board shall be called together, and some one shall be appointed to
make her a visit, whose duty it shall be to perform the same or forfeit
the disapprobation of the Company, and pay a fine sufficiently large to
buy the lady thus neglected a new dress."
Few towns upon the Purchase have been more prosperous, and it
is quite likely that this early regulation aided essentially in the
of founding a new settlement and speeding its progress. These
carried their provisions ten, and even twenty, miles upon their backs
the woods; and, as a contrast between the past and present, as an
of what industry and enterprise will accomplish, it is only necessary
point to the remarkable success of one of their number, -- Judge Ten
Peleg Robbins, Richard Tozer, and Levi Peet settled upon lot
36, the present site of the village of Farmersville. Here
the first framed house, which he occupied as an inn for many
It is believed that he began keeping a place of entertainment about
He was also the first supervisor in 1821. Levi Peet erected
framed barn about 1820, and in it were held the early religious
as it was for some years the most commodious room in the
He was appointed postmaster in 1836.
Nehemiah Parish, a soldier of the Revolution, came from
Monroe Co., N.Y., and settled here in 1818. He was
his sons, Roswell, Shubael, and Zabad. Jeremiah Parish,
Nehemiah, also a veteran of the Revolution, accompanied by his son,
became a resident in 1821. The Parishes were from Vermont
Smith Parish removed to Portville in 1831, and has since been one of
most prominent citizens. Among other residents of the town of
in 1821, were William Adams, William J. Burns, Simeon Bradford, Solomon
Curtis, Jr., Ashbel Freeman, John Flagg, William Gilley, Russell
(who represented the county in the State Legislature in 1831, and was
for several terms), Lyman Hubbard, Daniel Hodges (who represented the
in the State Legislature in 1825), Joseph Hazleton, James Leland,
Leet, Caleb Lewis, Joseph Mills, John D. Older (a surveyor), William
Jesse Older, Elijah Rice, John Rice (2d), Clark Rice, David Rood, Cyrus
Rood, William Stillwell, Chauncey Taylor, Lucius Tyler (an early
of the peace), Uriah D. Wood, Alfred Willey, Samuel G. White, Moses
and William Wareing.
The settlers of 1822 were Zachariah Blackman (a soldier of
Revolution), Franklin Blackman, Jabez Blackman, Gain R. Blackman, Jabez
S. Blackman, Ora Bond (an early justice of the peace, and supervisor
several terms), Brightman Brooks, Robert Bard, Michael Chaffee,
Freeman, John Hayford, Zaccheus Lawrence, Zachariah Lawrence, David
Edward Stone, Edmund Stone, Erastus Skinner, Frederick Swan, William
David Springer, Henry Saxton, Stephen Town, Alvah Town, and James
who built the first saw-mill, on the outlet of Mud Lake, in
Previous to 1825, Israel B. Abbott, Tracy Avery, John Aiken,
John Barnhart, Solomon S. Butler, Edward Bumpus, John Bowers, Samuel
Perry H. Bonney, Ezra Belknap, Harry Butler, Preserved Bullock, Artemas
Barnes, Alva Burgess, James E. Bishop, Asa Bullard, Solomon Burns,
E. Baillet (who was county clerk in 1837, 1843, 1846), Eli Burbank,
Carpenter, Curtis Carpenter, Zenas Carpenter, Elam Clark, Caleb S.
Dyar Cowdry, Abram Cayter, Jacob Comstock (who kept the first store in
1828), Ashbel Carter , James Calkins, Curtis B. Devine, Willine Dunham,
Silas Dort, Salmon Dutton, Albert Fancher, Ezekiel Flanders, Frederick
Farrington, Timothy Henry, George W. Gillet, Charles Gary, Abner
Richard Goodwin, Ira S. Hatch, Ebenezer Harris, Ira Hatch, Hiram A.
John Henry, Peter Holmes, Cicero Holmes, Gordon Henry, Peter Hadlack,
A. Harris, Samuel S. Henry, Ezra Kellogg, Samuel Milliken, Marcellus
Enoch Richardson, Ebenezer Reed, Ebenezer Reed, Jr., Nathaniel Rowley,
Gershom Rowley, Jr., Amos Rose, Benjamin Rose, Jonathan Rich, Jr.,
Ross, Simeon Smead, John Squired, Enoch Sanborn, Alvah Skinner, Asahel
Spooner, Nicholas Spoor, James Tarbell, William L. Thomas, Marvel
Anthony Van Schaick, Jacob Wade, Henry Wade, John D. Wood, James
Oliver Wakefield, Joseph Wedge, James West, and George Wickwire were
of the town. From 1820 to 1825 settlements had been rapid and
for we find, by referring to the census reports of the latter date,
the town then contained a population of 636 inhabitants.
Marsena Baker represented the county in the State Legislature
during the session of 1859.
The first marriage was that of Peter Ten Broeck to Miss Polly
Freeman, in 1822.
The first birth was that of Joseph A. Tozer, who was born in
Mrs. Magdalene Adams died Nov. 7, 1820, but it is claimed
deaths occurred previous to this time; that children of Rice,
and the widow McCaa, were buried near the southeast corner of lot 33,
5, range 4, prior to 1818.
By an act of the Legislature of the State of
New York, passed
March 29, 1821, the town of Farmersville was formed from Ischua, and
territory embraced within its boundaries are, by that act, described as
follows: “All that part of the town of Ischua consisting of
township in the third range, and the fifth township in the fourth range
of townships, shall be set off from the town of Ischua, and be erected
into a separate town, by the name of Farmersville; and the first
shall be held at the house of Richard Tozer, on the first Tuesday of
next, and annually on the fist Tuesday of March thereafter.”
The following are the proceedings of the first town-meeting,
and are copied verbatim; “At the first annual meeting of the
of the town of Farmersville, holden in and for said town, at the house
of Richard Tozer, on Tuesday, March 5, in the year of our Lord one
eight hundred and twenty-two, the following officers were elected, and
resolutions passed, viz.: Richard Tozer, Supervisor; Elijah Rice, Town
Clerk; Russell Hubbard, John D. Older, Peter Ten Broeck, Assessors;
Robbins, Collector; James Leland, Uriah D. Wood, Oversees of the Poor;
Lyman Hubbard, William Stillwell, Joseph Mills, Commissioners of
Solomon Curtis, Jr., Alfred Willey, Peter Ten Broeck, Commissioners of
Common Schools; Thomas Leet, Peter Ten Broeck, Russell Hubbard, Samuel
G. White, Inspectors of Common Schools; Moses Wade, William Burns, Jr.,
Peleg Robbins, Constables; Daniel Hodges, Levi Peet, John Flagg,
Gilley, Zabod Parrish, Moses Wade, Joseph Mills, Solomon Curtis, Jr.,
Taylor, Alfred Willey, Joseph Haselton, Overseers of
“Voted, by the freeholders and inhabitants of the town of
that pathmasters be fence-viewers, that there be one poundmaster, that
Levi Peet be poundmaster, and that his south barnyard be a pound for
“Voted, that hogs be allowed to run at large until they do
and then that the owners of said hogs take care of the same and pay the
“Voted, that there be the sum of $250 raised for the
“Voted, that there be raised the sum of $25 for the support
“Voted, that fence-viewers be allowed $1 per day.
“Voted, this meeting be adjourned to the house of Richard
in the town of Farmersville, the first Tuesday in march,
The supervisors, town clerks, and justices of the peace of
town of Farmersville from 1822 to 1878 have been as follows.
years inclusive, opposite their respective names, show the time those
were filled by them:
1822-24. Richard Tozer. 1850. Reuben
1825. Russel Hubbard. 1851. Russel
1826. Richard Tozer. 1852-53. Andrew C.
1827. Peter Ten Broeck. 1854-55. James
1828. Russel Hubbard. 1856-58. Marsena
1829-30. Ora Bond. 1859-61. David
1831. Jonathan Graves 1862. James H.
1832. Russel Hubbard 1863. J. T.
1833-35. George W. Gillet. 1864. William
1836. Russel Hubbard 1865. Adelbert
1837-38. Peter Ten Broeck 1866. William
1839. Russel Barlow. 1867. Andrew
1840. Ora Bond. 1868-70. Levi L.
1841-42. Peter Ten Broeck. 1871. David
1843-44. Solomon Cummings. 1872-73. A. E.
1845. Edwin Taylor. 1874-76. Henry S.
1846-48. Solomon Cummings. 1877-78. James
1849. Jarvis Leonard.
1822-24 Elijah Rice.
1855. Reuben Cherryman.
1825. Jacob Comstock. 1856. James A.
1826-27. Lucius Tyler. 1857. Reuben
1828-31. George W. Gillet. 1858-60. Myron
1832-37. Francis E. Baillet. 1861-62. J. T.
1838-39. Solomon Cummings. 1863-64. Myron
1840. George W. Gillet. 1865. Franklin
1841. Solomon Cummings. 1866-67. J. T.
1842-43. Francis E. Baillet. 1868-71. Albert E.
1844. Grove B. Graves. 1872. S. C.
1845-49. Luther Cross. 1873. D. G.
1850-52 James Nichols. 1874-75. John
1853. M. Hayford. 1876-77.
1854. Deloss J. Graves. 1878. Melvin E.
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
1822. William Stillwell.
1838. Ora Bond.
Levi Peet. Solomon
William Wareing 1839. George W.
1823. Lucius Tyler. 1840. Ora
1825. Jacob Comstock. 1841. Clark
1826. Ora Bond. Gideon D.
James Leland. 1842. Solomon
1827. George W. Gillet. Amos
Joseph Haselton. 1843. Edwin
1828. Ora Bond. Stephen
1829. James Leland. 1844. Ora
James Weston. 1844-45. Feliz
Lucius Tyler. 1846. Solomon
Jacob Comstock. Hiram
1830. Cyrus Keyes. Russel
1830-31. George W. Gillet. 1847. Edwin
1832. Ora Bond. Samuel W.
Elijah Anderson. 1848. Jarvis
1833. Ora Bond. 1849. Hiram
1834. Cyrus Keyes. 1849. Sheldon
1835. George W. Gillet. 1850. David
1836. Hiram Bond. George W.
1837. Solomon Cummings. 1851. George W.
Clark Rice 1852. Duma Burr.
1853. Hiram Johnson
1868. David P. Hooper.
Benjamin G. Cagwin. M. J.
1854. Silas L. Peet. 1869. Clark
1855. Benjamin G. Cagwin 1870. David
1856. David Carpenter.
1857. Andrew C. Adams. 1871. Samuel A.
1858. S. A. Thomas. 1872. David
1858-59. Gardner George. Dodge
1860. David P. Hooper. 1873. N. D.
1861. Gardner George. Edwin
David Carpenter. 1874. H. M.
1862. Andrew C. Adams. Jedediah
1863. David Carpenter. 1875. S. M.
1864. David P. Hooper. L. L.
1865. Ebenezer Hungerford. 1876. Samuel S.
1866. Andrew C. Adams. Hiram N.
John Rockwell. 1877. Abram A.
1867. Abram A. Peet. Rufus E.
Aaron G. Hovey. 1878. H. M.
The State road from Franklinville to Fairview,
this town diagonally from the southwest to the northeast, was the first
traveled highway, and was laid out prior to 1816. The road
as leading from the residence of Cornelius Ten Broeck’s to Richard
tavern, was laid out by order of Pell Tidd and Joseph Cole,
of highways, of the town of Ischua, July 1, 1816.
The Buffalo, New York and Philadelphia Railroad crosses the
corner of the town, intersecting lots 33, 34, and 35 of township 5,
4. It was completed in 1872, and has no station in
The Rochester and State line Railroad enters the town on the
north border of township 5, range 3, and passing Bradford Flats, a
in Farmersville, it leaves the town on the north border of township 5,
range 4, and again entering the town, crosses the extreme northwest
This road was completed in the spring of 1878.
Comparative statement of the number of acres improved,
value of real estate, value of personal estate, amount of live-stock,
mills, manufactories, etc., of 1835 and 1875:
Assessed value of real estate
Number of cattle
yards of fulled cloth
Amount of county tax
Number of saw-mills
Public money expended
Number of scholars
Assessed value of real estate
Tons of hay
Bushels of barley
Pounds of maple-sugar
Number of horses
cows whose milk is sent to factory.
Pounds of butter made in families
pork made on farms
The village of Farmersville, situated on lot
36 of the fifth township,
third range, and a little southeast of the centre, contains 2 churches
(Methodist Episcopal and Baptist), 1 hotel, 1 store, post-office,
school-house, cheese-factory, 2 or 3 small mechanic shops, and about
inhabitants. Its site was the point selected for settlement
Ten Broecks, Tozer, Robins, and Peet, in 1817.
Fairview, a post-office station in the extreme northeast
and lying partly in Allegany County, contains a store, cheese-factory,
blacksmith-shop, wagon-shop, copper-shop, and a few
The first action taken by the first board of
of the town of Farmersville is shown by the
“We do certify, that in pursuance of the act entitled ‘An act
for the better establishment of Common Schools,’ passed April 12, 1819,
we have formed for a common-school district all that certain part of
town of Farmersville, in the count of Cattaraugus, situated as
Lots 25, 26, 27, 33, 34, 35, and the west 100 acres of lot 17, in the
township of the 4th range; and all that certain part of the town of
in said county, situated as follows: Lots 31, 32, 39 and 40,
4th township of the 4th range, and lots 7 and 8, in the 4th township
5th range, and have numbered the same School District No. 1.
“Given under our hands, at Ischua, this 25th day of April,
“Peter Ten Broeck,
“School Commissioners, town of
“Moses Warner, Jr.,
“School Commissioners, town of
April 27, 1822, Alfred Willey, Peter Ten
Broeck, and Solomon Curtis,
Jr., met at Farmersville and formed to additional school districts,
District No. 2, to consist of lots Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9,
10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, and the east part of lot 17, in the 5th
of the 4th range, and lots nos. 20, 27, 28, 29, 30, 35, 36, 37, and 38,
in the 5th township of the 3d range.
District No. 3, lots Nos. 6, 7, 8, 14, 15, 16, 22, 23, 24,
32, 39, and 40 of township 5, range 3.
In November, 1822, School District No. 4 was formed, and
of lots Nos. 1, 2, 3, 9, 10, 11, 18, 19, and the east part of lot 17,
the 5th township of the 4th range.
Jan. 1, 1823, the trustees of School District No. 1 made the
“Time school has been taught by qualified
Number of children attending school
children of school age residing in that
the district belonging
children of school age residing in that
the district belonging
Amount of money received and expended
At a meeting of the school commissioners, held
March 22, 1823, for the purpose of apportioning the school funds in
possession, amounting to $46.50, and finding that School District No. 1
was the only district which had complied with the law, the whole amount
was paid to said district.
In a report made to the superintendent of common schools of
State of New York, dated Sept. 10, 1825, the school commissioners of
town of Farmersville, viz., Daniel Weston and Elam Clark, report as
“Number of school districts in town,
“Number of parts of school districts in town, 4.
“Number of whole districts from which reports have been
“Number of parts of districts from which reports have been received,
“And that from the said reports the following is a just and
“ ‘ Whole time any school has been taught therein, 31
“ ‘ Time such schools have been taught by qualified teachers,
“ ‘ Number of children attending school, 155.
“ ‘ Number of children between the ages of five and fifteen
“ ‘ Total amount of money received during the year,
“That the school-books most in use in the common schools of
town are the Holy Scriptures, Webster’s Spelling-Books, American
Beauties of the Bible, American Reader, and Pike’s
In comparison with the foregoing, from the
report of the school
commissioners of Cattaraugus County for the year ending Sept. 30, 1878,
the following statistics are taken:
Number of school districts
Number of school-houses
Value of school-houses, with sites
Number of volumes in library
Value of library
Number of teachers employed
Amount paid for teachers’ wages
Number of children of school age
Amount of public money received from State $1051.71
Amount of money received from tax
Number of weeks taught
The first religious meeting was held by Rev.
Elias Going –a Baptist
minister---at the barn of Levi Peet, in 1821.
THE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH AT FARMERSVILLE
was organized in 1823, and incorporated September 12 of
the same year.
Among the first members were Jonathan E. Davis, Uriah D. Wood, Benjamin
Westcott, Ashbel Carter, and William Older. The society was
Sept. 13, 1834, and Hiram Carter, Richard Robbins, Peter Holmes,
Adams, and Curtis B. Divine elected trustees. It was again
April 7, 1838; and for the fourth time, Nov. 15, 1853.
The church edifice, which will seat 300 persons, was erected in 1838,
at a cost of $1500. It forms parts of the Franklinville
J. H. Freeland, pastor, and has a membership of about 30. The
are the pastors’ names from 1851: Wm. Bush, 1851-52; W. S.
1853; William Scisne, 1854; N. Jones, 1855-56; E. G. Selleck, 1857; H.
Hornsby, 1858-59; A. McIntire, 1860-61; H. M. Ripley, 1862; J. Hills,
J. H. Rogers, 1864; J. Lathan, 1865-66; A. W. Willson, 1867; S. P.
1868-69; J. K. Torry, 1870-71; J. C. Whiteside, 1872-73; T.
1874-76; T. D. Goodrich, 1877; J. H. Freeland, 1878.
Present number of members in the church, 26; number of pupils
in the Sunday-school, 28; number of volumes in library, 75; James H.
superintendent of Sunday-school.
THE BAPTIST CHURCH OF FARMERSVILLE.
was organized Jan. 17, 1826, with 18 members, by Rev.
It was incorporated April 4, 1836, Rev. Adrian Foot and Levi Peet
and George W. Gillet, Cornelius Ten Brocek, David Carpenter, Joel
Jonathan Graves, and Ora Bond, were elected trustees.
Their house of worship, which has sittings for about 300
was built in 1838, and cost $1600. The society numbers about
Rev. William Hughes, pastor; Scott Cummings, Sunday-school
THE WELSH CONGREGATIONAL SOCIETY OF SILOAM
was organized with 26 members, Oct. 5, 1836, by Rev.
The society worshiped in a private house until 1870, when their church
edifice was erected. It cost $1200, and has sittings for 250
At a meeting convened at their house of worship, April 25, 1871,
David D. Morgan, Evan Griffiths, Morris M. Jones, Thomas T. Jones,
R. Jones, Thomas Richards, David C. Richards, and Robert Richards,
D. Morgan and Evan Griffiths were elected Church-Wardens, and David D.
Morgan, Thomas Richards, and Morris M. Jones, Trustees. The
was incorporated April, 1871.
During the war of Rebellion the town paid in
bounties to her soldiers
$9000. The county paid to the same soldiers $3300, making a
She sent into the field 97 soldiers and seamen, and 11 men
were not accredited to the town.
* Official members of thee
churches were respectfully requested
to furnish data from which a more complete history could have been
but in each instance they failed to respond.