Greenmount Cemetery
Town of North Dansville, Livingston County
GPS Location N42.543 W 77.681
10071 Greenmount Ave, Dansville, NY 14437
Submitted by Alyce Clayson Moran
Updated by Deanne Knapp, Andrew Burdett, Jane Schryver, Paul Hoffman, Don "Mac" McLane, Mark Gerber, Linda Acomb, Bob Glover, Annette Campbell & Alyce Clayson Moran

Researched by Bob and H. Ross Glover 2011-2014.  Contact them for gravestone photos/obits/info <CoachBob@coachglover.com>

To the Greemount Cemetery List

To the List of Transfers from the Old Dansville Village Cemetery


 
Photos by H. Ross Glover


Photos by Jan King, Alyce's sister


Greenmount Cemetery Map contributed by Bob Glover


History of Greenmount Cemetery and the earlier cemetery in Instructor Park.

Compiled by Jane Schryver from files in the Dansville Town Historian's Office

1797 Nathaniel Porter, who had arrived in the valley with his brother William the year before, became the first to be interred in Dansville's Cemetery; he died on March 12, before he was even able to fashion his own place to live. He was buried at the Old Village Cemetery.  By 1888, all markers were moved from that cemetery to Greenmount Cemetery and the bodies remained.

1847 On August 4, The Dansville Cemetery Association was organized and Greenmount Cemetery was opened.

1866 The caretaker’s house was built. All improvements for the year including the house and wooden gates totaled about $2,000.

1868 The first Memorial Day service for Dansville, held on May 30, consisted of a parade leading to Greenmount Cemetery.

1888 The cemetery chapel was built and in 1889 was dedicated.

1891 The barn behind the caretaker’s house was built.

1896 The sign that hung on the chapel door is preserved in the cemetery office.

1902 The Sexton was Philip H Kinney.

1904 The "Soldier's Plot" at Greenmount Cemetery was established for the benefit of Civil War veterans; it would be the site of Memorial Day services for many years.

1910 On July 12, the Village Board acquiesced to a request from a Mrs. Hillman, who complained that the name of the street that she lived on was much too gruesome. Instead of Cemetery Street, she suggested, why not Greenmount Avenue?

1915 Memorial entrance pillars and fence were given in memory of Maxwell Sweet.

1931 Memorial fountain erected at gate in memory of Anna Connengaser Teachout.

To the Greemount Cemetery List



Back To Steuben County

If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact me at:
Painted Hills

 This page is maintained by the PHGS

Last Update March 20, 2014

2011-2014  by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society All Rights Reserved

Main | Email Us | Look-Ups | Members Family Pages
Become a Member | Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer