WHO’S WHO IN POTTER COUNTY
Brief Biographies of Many of the Prominent Residents of Potter County,
And A Brief Review of the History of Potter County
By Marie Schadenberger and Sylvia Wilson
F. A. Owen Pub. Co., Dansville, NY
Transcribed & Submitted by PHGS Member: Sheri D. Graves
See the beginning of Page
A for an introduction and the end of page B for an index.
- ROSELL H. LEETE, a progressive farmer in Eulalia Township,
Potter County, was born January 16, 1894, in Bingham Township, the
son of N.J. and Thera (Howe) Leete, a pioneer family of Potter County.
Since 1913, Mr. Leete has been farming in his present location where
he specializes in potato growing. He produced more than 4,000 bushels
of potatoes in 1946. He is a member of the Grange, I.O.O.F., Farmers’
Alliance and Industrial Union. He married, February 18, 1919, Kathryn
Palmatier, of Coudersport, daughter of Frank and Ella (James) Palmatier,
both members of pioneer families of Potter County. Mrs. Leete is a
member of the Presbyterian Church. She is past deputy of Rebekah Lodge
and past deputy of Pomona Grange. Children: (1) Ruth (Leete) Quimby,
of Coudersport, R.D., who has one son, James Walter. (2) Lucile (Leete)
Edgreen, of Port Allegany, who has one son, Robert James. (3) Norman
Keith, in partnership on the farm with his father. (4) Jean Marie,
a cadet nurse in Philadelphia General Hospital.
- ARCHIE KNOX BAKER, real estate representative with A.E.
Stroud Realty Company of New York, New York, was born November 17,
1898, in Raymond, Allegany Township, the son of George W. and Florence
(Morley) Baker, both of whom were members of pioneer families of Potter
County. Mr. Baker attended high school in Coudersport. He was associated
with the Potter County Garage for nineteen years. He built and operated
for eight years a filling station at First and Main Streets in Coudersport.
He is a member of Park Methodist Church, Eulalia Lodge Number 342
F.&A.M., Coudersport Consistory, Rotary Club and Golf Club. He
married, June 4, 1918, Nina Francis of Raymond, the daughter of Leroy
and Cora (Williams) Francis. She is a member of Park Methodist Church
and of Eulalia Chapter Number 148 O.E.S. Children: (1) June Lorene,
supervisor of vocal music in Wellsboro. Born Feb. 23, 1922. She graduated
from Ithaca College in 1943, having majored in vocal music. She is
amember of Park Methodist Church and of Alpha Iota Sorority. She married
Robert Entwisle, a veteran of World War II now studying music at Ithaca
College. (2) Harold Arlington, a student at Colgate University. Born
Sept. 7, 1924. He is a veteran of World War II, with three years’
service in the U.S. Army Medical Corps. He is a member of Park Methodist
Church and of Sigma Nu Fraternity. Mr. and Mrs. Baker reside at 110
East Third Street in one of the oldest homes in Coudersport. The house
was built in 1847. Mr. Baker’s hobby is woodworking.
INA (HARLOW) WOODARD was born the daughter of Richard Lewis and
Frances Elizabeth (Haislip) Harlow of Charlottesville, Virginia. She
graduated from Miller Co-Ed School in Charlottesville and from Bradford
Training School as a registered nurse. Mrs. Woodard was active in
the war effort doing Red Cross work of all kinds, nursing, aiding
in War Bond drives and in other capacities. She was Postmaster in
Shinglehouse for six years. She is a Past Matron of Eureka Chapter
Number 52 O.E.S. and she attends the Methodist Church. Mrs. Woodard
is the widow of Dr. James Alban Woodard, a veterinarian in Shinglehouse
for many years. Dr. Woodard was born May 2, 1875, the son of Prentice
and Emma (Drake) Woodard of Shinglehouse. He graduated from the University
of Toronto Veterinary College in 1911 and practiced his profession
in Shinglehouse from 1911 until his death, September 19, 1944. He
also owned and operated a drug store in Shinglehouse and served as
Postmaster at Shinglehouse for ten years and as Burgess for several
years. He was a member of the Methodist Church, of Knights Templar,
Coudersport, and of Shrine Joffa Temple in Altoona. He was a past
master of Sharon Lodge Number 598 F.&A.M. and a Past Worthy Patron
of Eureka Chapter Number 52 O.E.S. He married, first, in 1900, Winnie
Marchisi of Bolivar, New York. She died in May 1910. They had one
daughter, Sarah (Woodard) Pearsall, who has two sons, John S., Jr.,
and James H. Dr. Woodard married, second August 31, 1913, Ina Harlow.
- LENA A. STEVENS, tax collector of Harrison Township, was
born in Harrison Valley in the house where she now resides, the daughter
of George W. and Zittilla (Goodman) Stevens. Miss Stevens’ ancestors
were pioneer settlers, coming to Potter County as early as 1846. Miss
Stevens attended Harrison Valley schools and Genesee Wesleyan Seminary
at Lima, New York. Her life has been spent chiefly in business activities
and travel. She spent fifteen years marketing mineral spring water
from a natural spring in Harrison Township and fifteen years conducting
a gift shop and real estate business in Florida, in partnership with
Miss Aurelia Cobb. Miss Cobb died September 4, 1945. Miss Stevens
attends the Federated church. She had one brother, Leslie G. Stevens,
who died February 28, 1929. She has one sister, Clella (Stevens) Michelfelder.
(See par. 42). Miss Stevens’ hobbies are antiques, gardening and local
- CLAYTON E. GALLUP, a resident of Coudersport for more than
fifty years, was born in Port Allegany on December 25, 1864, the son
of L.J. and Polly (Burdick) Gallup. He was in the lumber business
in Port Allegany and later was in the livery business in Coudersport.
He was deputy sheriff for four years, constable for twenty years and
assessor for eighteen years. He is a member of Eulalia Lodge Number
342 F.&.A.M., and of Coudersport Consistory. He attends the First
Presbyterian Church. He married, October 3, 1894, Nettie A. Hooker,
the daughter of William and Lucy (Champlin) Hooker. She is a member
of Allegewi Chapter of the D.A.R. and she attends the First Presbyterian
Church. She graduated from Lock Haven Normal School and taught school
for ten years before her marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Gallup spend the winter
months in St. Petersburg, Florida, and the summer months in Coudersport.
Mr. Gallup’s hobby is playing shuffleboard.
- RAYMOND L. SIMENDINGER, pastor of St. Bibiana Catholic Church
in Galeton, was born in Brisban, the son of John T. and Catharine
Simendinger. He graduated from Niagara University and was ordained
in St. Joseph Cathedral in Buffalo, New York by Denis Cardinal Dougherty.
He spent six years at St. Thomas Church in Corey as assistant pastor,
one year at St. Catherine Church in DuBois as assistant pastor, six
years as pastor of St. Nicholas Tolentino Church in Crates and since
1941 he has been pastor of St. Bibiana Church. He is also pastor of
St. Germai Church in Germania.
- COLLINS SOLOMAN HERRICK, editor of Herrick newspapers in
Coudersport, was born January 14, 1909, in Shinglehouse, the elder
son of Charles A. and Nora (Johnson) Herrick. (See par. 29). He graduated
from Shinglehouse High School in 1926 and has been in the newspaper
business continuously since that date. He worked on Oswayo Valley
Mail and the Olean Herald and managed the Leader Dispatch. He purchased
Oswayo Valley Mail in June 1941 in partnership with his brother, Joseph,
and in January of 1942, he purchased and consolidated Potter County
Journal. He was elected vice-president of Pennsylvania Newspaper Publishers’
Association in 1940. He is a member of Sharon Lodge Number 598 F.&A.M.
and of Coudersport Consistory. He married, first, Margaret Russell
in 1930. She died in 1936. She was a member of St. Theresa Catholic
Church. Children: (1) James, age 15. (2) Robert, died in June 1946.
(3) Elizabeth Anne, age 10. He married, second, Grayce Voorhees, in
1937. She is a member of the First Baptist Church, O.E.S. and Pennsylvania
Women’s Press Association. They had one son, Cecil Arvine, born January
1944, died March 1944.
- DOROTHY (CILLEY) HAMILTON, state sanitarian of Pennsylvania
Department of Health, was born July 14, 1897, the daughter of Lewis
and Cornelia (Dorrance) Cilley of Osceola. Mrs. Hamilton is a member
of the Methodist Church, West Branch Shrine Club, Business and Professional
Women’s Club, Women’s Civic Club and Poetry Club. She is also a past
state officer of the American Legion Auxiliary and a member of the
Board of Northern Tier Children’s Home. She married, April 23, 1921,
Fred Hamilton, the son of William F. and Edith (Tice) Hamilton, pioneer
settlers of Potter County. Mr. Hamilton is an accountant in Galeton.
Children: (1) Margaret (Hamilton) Bicksler, of Lewisburg, born May
9, 1923, who attended Pennsylvania State Teachers College. She has
one son, Frederick Charles. (2) William Frederick, born May 9, 1926,
a veteran of World War II with twenty-six months’ service in the U.S.
Navy. Mrs. Hamilton’s hobbies are collecting dolls and antiques.
- MICHAEL JOHN CROSETTO, owner and publisher of the Leader
Dispatch and proprietor of the Galeton Hotel, was born March 21, 1906,
in Galeton. He is the son of Rosa (Bertana) Crosetto. He graduated
from Galeton High School and has been employed as follows: machinist
apprentice, machinist with BGS Railroad in Galeton from 1923 to 1928,
toolmaker with Willys Morrow Company, Elmira, New York, from 1928
to 1929, locomotive inspector with the Erie Railroad Company in Cleveland,
Ohio, from 1929 to 1932, traveling in South America from 1932 to 1933,
with the U.S. Department of Commerce from 1934 to 1936, investigator
of Pennsylvania Labor Relations Board in Harrisburg in 1937 and 1938,
regional director of Pennsylvania Labor Relations Board in Pittsburgh
in 1939, inspector Wage and Hour Division of the U.S. Department of
Labor in Washington, D.C. in 1939, commissioner of conciliation U.S.
Department of Labor in Washington, D.C., from 1940 to 1943, assistant
deputy executive director of National War Labor Board in 1943 and
1944 and labor advisor, Allied commission in Rome, Italy, with the
rank of colonel in the U.S. Army in 1944. He is a member of the Roman
Catholic Church, Knights of Columbus, Rotary Club and the Democratic
Party. He is secretary of Galeton Chamber of Commerce and regional
director of U.S. Number 6 Roosevelt Highway Association of Pennsylvania.
- ADA (RAYMOND) SPENCER was born February 3, 1882, at North
Bingham, the daughter of William Greenleaf and Ann (Colvin) Raymond,
both members of families which were among the early settlers of Potter
County. Mrs. Spencer was graduated from Mansfield State Normal School
and taught school for several years in Ulysses, in Cornwall-on-Hudson
and in Atlanta, Georgia. She is a member of Ulysses Baptist Church,
of W.C.T.U., of Ulysses Women’s Club, of Ulysses Chapter Number 95
O.E.S. and she is a charter member of Allegewi Chapter of D.A.R. She
married, January 17, 1906, Dr. James Wright Spencer of Barton, new
York, the son of Harvey Lyman and Susan (Hannah) Spencer. He was graduated
from Mansfield State Normal School and from the Dental School at the
University of Pennsylvania. In 1905, Dr. Spencer came to Ulysses where
he practiced dentistry until his death, October 31, 1938. Children:
(1) Gaylord Colvin, of Ulysses, born October 23, 1908. He graduated
from Mansfield State Teachers College, attended Duke University and
graduated from Eckels College of Embalming in Philadelphia. He taught
in Ulysses High School for seven years before entering the U.S. Army.
He served forty-three months in World War II, with forty months as
sergeant in the South Pacific Area. (2) Harvey William, a dentist
in Wellsville, New York, born September 13, 1913. He graduated from
the University of Pennsylvania Dental School. He served thirty-seven
months as captain in the Dental Corps of the U.S. Army during World
War II, with seventeen months’ service in the European theater of
war. He married Maurine Martin, of Aberdeen, South Dakota, who is
also a dentist. They have two daughters, Corinne and Susan.
- HOWARD G. KENYON, a merchant of Genesee, was born in Genesee
August 18, 1894, son of George and Elizabeth (Gray) Kenyon, pioneer
settlers of Potter County. He was graduated from Genesee High School
and from Alfred Academy. He was attending Alfred University when he
entered service during World War I. He has operated a general store
in Genesee since 1924. He is a member of the Methodist Church, Lewisville
Lodge Number 565 F.&A.M., Coudersport Consistory and American
Legion. He married, April 27, 1921, Dorothea McConeghy, of Coudersport,
daughter of James and Alma (Hertig) McConeghy. She is a member of
Eulalia Chapter O.E.S. and of the Methodist church. Children: (1)
Verena (Kenyon) Ruddnick, of Elmira, New York. (2) Doris Elizabeth,
age 12. (3) Robert Howard, age 9. Mr. Kenyon’s hobbies are hunting
and flower gardening.
- LEE ARTHUR VOORHEES, son of Frederick and Myra (Cook) Voorhees,
was born in Mansfield, September 11, 1878. He was graduated from Mansfield
State Teachers College in 1897. Following graduation, he taught school
at Conrad for one year. On August 15, 1898, he was employed by the
First National Bank in Coudersport, becoming assistant cashier. He
later organized the Grange National Bank in Troy and remained with
the bank as cashier during 1909 and 1910. He then was president of
the Okmulgee National Bank (later the Okmulgee State Bank) in Okmulgee,
Oklahoma. He sold this bank in 1912 and organized and became cashier
of the Guaranty State Bank in Okmulgee. He disposed of his banking
interest in 1916 and, until 1942, he engaged in the oil business.
In 1942, he returned to Coudersport with his family. Mr. Voorhees
has been chief clerk of Selective Service Local Board Number 1, Potter
County, in Coudersport since April 1, 1943. He married, October 24,
1906, Edna Rennells, of Coudersport, daughter of William Cyrenus and
Ella (Strait) Rennells. Mrs. Voorhees is a sister of Cora Elizabeth
Rennells. (See par. 14). She is a member of the D.A.R. Children: (1)
Virginia (Voorhees) Swan, of Abilene, Texas, who has one daughter,
Eleanor Alyne. (2) Eleanor (Voorhees) Johnson, of Coudersport, who
has two children, Virginia Elaine and Frederick Lee. Mr. Voorhees
and all the members of his family are members of Christ Episcopal
Church in Coudersport.
- CHARLES C. VAN DE BOE, attorney and realtor in Shinglehouse,
was born September 17, 1878, in Harrison Township, the son of Carmi
D. and Ida G. (Grover) Van DeBoe. Mr. VanDeBoe attended Mansfield
State Teachers College and taught school for three years before entering
the law office of Peck, Stone, Heck and DuBois in Coudersport as a
law student. He was admitted to Potter County Bar April 1, 1904. On
September 1, 1904, he was admitted to District and Supreme Courts
of Pennsylvania located in Shinglehouse where he has practiced continuously
since that date. He served nine years as Prosecuting Attorney of Potter
County. He operated the water system in Shinglehouse for thirty years
and he conducted an insurance agency in Shinglehouse for thirty-eight
years. He has dealt in real estate since 1904. He is a member of Sharon
Lodge Number 598 F.&A.M. and Coudersport Consistory. He married,
October 5, 1910, Bertha L. Beyer, the daughter of Christopher and
Eliza Beyer, of Warren. Mrs. VanDeBoe attended Clarendon State Normal
School. She then entered training for nursing and, after being graduated,
she practiced in that profession for several years prior to her marriage.
She is a member of the Baptist Church and of Order of Eastern Star.
Children: (1) Carroll D., of Shinglehouse, a graduate of Temple University.
He is transportation manager for the National Powder Company of Eldred.
He has one son, John Charles. (2) Mary Elizabeth (VanDeBoe) Egan,
of Shinglehouse, who attended Bucknell University. Mr. and Mrs. VanDeBoe
have spent several winters at their winter home in Daytona Beach,
Florida. Mr. VanDeBoe is a brother of De Grover VanDeBoe. (See par.
- KITTIE N. (THOMPSON) LYMAN was born November 17, 1867, in
Mason, Ingham County, Michigan, the daughter of DeWitte Clinton and
Laurette (Williams) Thompson. She attended schools in Mason, Michigan,
and taught school for four terms before her marriage. Mrs. Lyman is
a member of the Methodist Church and has taught a Sunday School class
of girls for thirty years. She is a collector of local historical
and genealogical material of the Lyman, Card, Thompson and Branch
families. She also collects antiques and museum pieces. She married,
April 24, 1889, Milo Lyman, of Roulette, who was born February 1,
1852, in the house in which Mrs. Lyman now resides, the son of Laroy
and Thankful (Card) Lyman. Mr. Lyman’s grandfather, Burrel Lyman,
had the first deed of land in Roulette. Mr. Lyman’s father, Laroy,
was a farmer, merchant, surveyor, geologist and famous pioneer hunter
and trapper. Mr. Lyman after attending Alfred Academy, now Alfred
University, taught school for several years. Later, he studied mineral
deposits and mining in the Eastern part of the United States. In 1886,
after his father’s death, he purchased the family homestead and became
an outstanding figure in the development of Roulette as a farmer,
lumberman, manufacturer, merchant, banker and gas operator. He died
October 18, 1935. Children: (1) Laura Kate (Lyman) Chestain, of Coudersport,
owner and manager of the Rexall Drug Store. She was graduated from
Alfred University in 1910 and taught school for several years. She
has two sons: (1) Richard L., a veteran of World War II and a student
at Hahnemann College and Hospital in Philadelphia; and Rupert L.,
a photographer. (2) Florence Gertrude (Lyman) Fiske, of Bradford.
She is a graduate of Alfred University and she taught school for several
years. She has three children: Robert K., a veteran of World War II
now teaching at West Reading. He is a graduate of Pennsylvania State
University. Helen Marie, a graduate of Pennsylvania State University.
Gordon L., a graduate of Pennsylvania State University and a veteran
of World War II. (3) Robert R. Lyman, of Coudersport. (See par. 53).
Mrs. Lyman’s hobbies are scrapbooks, stamp collections, flowers and
- MICHAEL JOSEPH CURRAN, assistant trainmaster of the B&O
Railroad in Galeton, was born in Antrim, Tioga County, the son of
John and Mary (McMahon) Curran. He attended Antrim schools. He was
telegraph operator for the B&S Railroad from 1901 to 1903, agent
at Osceola from 1903 to 1905, and telegraph operator of New York Central
Railroad. He returned to the B&S (now B&O) Railroad in 1905
as operator. He has held the positions of train dispatcher, chief
train dispatcher, trainmaster and assistant trainmaster. He married,
may 14, 1927, Nellie Lacy. (See par. 102). They have one daughter,
Patricia. Mr. Curran is a member of the Knights of Columbus, Galeton
Rotary Club of which he is a past president, and Galeton Chamber of
Commerce. He, with S. Lynn Lush, Michael J. Crosetto and Carl W. Smith,
comprised a committee which negotiated with the Lenox Furnace Company,
Inc., when its plant was moved to Galeton in 1945. More than one hundred
men are now employed by the company.
- WILBUR A. WAGNER, hardware merchant of Ulysses, was born
in Ulysses on May 8, 1915, the son of Orlo E. and Lida (Empson) Wagner.
Orlo E. was a hardware merchant in Ulysses for more than twenty years.
Wilbur A. graduated from Ulysses High School and Bryant Stratton Business
college in Buffalo, New York. In 1936, he purchased his father’s interest
in Wagner and Monks, becoming a partner with W.C. Monks in the hardware
business where he has been since that date. He is a member of the
First Baptist Church, the Grange, Lewisville Lodge Number 536 F.&A.M.,
Coudersport Consistory, 32nd degree of Masonry and the
Lions Club. He is a veteran of World War II, with two years’ service
in the U.S. Navy, fourteen months of which were spent in the South
Pacific. He is a member of the National Retail Hardware Association
and a member of the local fire department. He married, March 8, 1941,
Jannette Dykins of Addison, New York, the daughter of Ralph and Bertha
(Church) Dykins. Mrs. Dykins is a sister of Dr. N.W. Church. Mrs.
Wagner graduated from Addison High School and from Rochester Business
Institute. She is a member of the First Baptist Church, Ulysses Chapter
Number 95 O.E.S. and Ulysses Women’s Club of Potter County Federated
Clubs. They have one son, Ralph Orlo, born January 1, 1943. Mrs. Wagner’s
hobby is sewing. Mr. Wagner’s hobby is woodworking.
- GILBERT LEE WENZEL, owner and manager of Wenzel Electric
Appliance Store in Galeton, was born October 4, 1905, in Port Allegany,
the son of Charles C. and Dorothy C. Wenzel. His father operated the
Lyman Run Hotel at one time, and his mother if the owner of Wenzel’s
Tea Room in Galeton. Mr. Wenzel was graduated from high school, from
Chicago Electrical Engineering Works in Chicago, Illinois, and from
Coyne Electrical School in Chicago. He started in business in Galeton
in 1927, and he now has one of the finest modern buildings and electrical
appliance stores in Potter County. He is a member of the Rotary Club
and of West Pike Grange. He married Dorothy V. Bull, of Wrightsville,
born May 10, 1909, the daughter of L. Robert and Helen M. Bull. She
is a member of the Presbyterian Church, of Friend Class Sunday School
and of West Pike Grange. Children: (1) Richard L., born February 21,
1929, a member of the Presbyterian Church, of the church choir and
of Galeton School Bend. (2) Janet H., born January 19, 1931, a member
of the Presbyterian Church and of the school band. (3) David L., born
March 17, 1940. (4) Judith A., born April 22, 1943. Mr. Wenzel’s hobby
is fishing, both in Canada and the ocean.
- FRANK M. BLISH, SR., pastor of the Methodist Church in Ulysses,
was born May 4, 1874, in Deposit, New York, the son of Henry M. and
Cornelia (Terrell) Blish. Rev. Blish was graduated from Marietta College
at Marietta, Ohio, and was ordained at Buffalo, New York in 1912.
He was in West Wisconsin Conference as pastor of various churches
for seventeen yers. He came to Ulysses in 1941 where he has been pastor
of the Methodist Church since that date. He married, first, Mary Whitford,
Of Earlington, Kentucky, in 1890. She died December 21, 1904. Children:
(1) Helen (Blish) Klotzbach, of Basom, New York. (2) Rev. Frank M.
Blish, Jr., of Seattle, Washington. Rev. Blish married, second, Mable
Shattuck of Worcester, New York, on August 7, 1907. Mrs. Blish is
a member of church societies, of Ulysses Chapter Number 95 O.E.S.,
of W.C.T.U. and of Women’s Club. Children: (1) Rev. Harold E., of
Galeton. (2) Kenneth N., who was killed in action with the 7th
U.S. Army in France during World War II. (3) Walter G., of Akron,
New York, a teacher of mathematics in Amherst High School. (4) John
A., also of Akron, a veteran of World War II., having served three
and one-half years in the Pacific Area. Rev. Blish is a member of
Buffalo Consistory. He is a Boy Scout Master and has been interested
in Boy Scout work for a great many years. His hobbies are fishing
- JESSIE (LEWIS) BURT was born July 23, 1869, in Lewisville,
the daughter of Seth and Sarah (Gridley) Lewis. Mrs. Burt has lived
all her life in Lewisville. The house in which she resides was built
in 1847 by her cousin, Orange A. Lewis. She is a member of the Methodist
Church and is a charter member of the W.C.T.U. She was graduated from
Genesee Wesleyan Seminary at Lima, New York, in 1829, and taught school
for several years. She studied law in the office of her father, who
was an attorney. She also worked with her father when he was editor
of the Ulysses Sentinel. Mrs. Burt married, May 22, 1897, Arthur S.
Burt, an attorney of Ulysses. He, with John Stone, of Coudersport,
started a private bank which later became the Grange National Bank.
Mr. Burt died June 9, 1937. He had three children by a former marriage:
Elizabeth and Alice (Burt) Voss, both of Coudersport, and James of
Brooklyn. Mr. Burt and Jessie (Lewis) Burt had three children: (1)
Seth Lewis, of Oxford, Pa., a graduate of Pennsylvania State College.
(2) Sara (Burt) McGrew, of State College, a graduate of Pennsylvania
State college. She has four sons, Karl A., James B., David L., and
Ralph V. (3) Clarence A., born January 14, 1907, died October 12,
1932. Mrs. Burt’s hobby is reading literature.
- WESLEY E. CAREY, dairy farmer and breeder of Ayrshire cattle
in Harrison Township, was born in Harrison Township, June 26, 1900,
the son of Albert and Zella (Houghtaling) Carey. He was graduated
from Harrison Valley High School, after which he held various positions,
including farming, until 1928 when he started his dairy farm where
he has been located since that date. His farm was the first one in
Potter County to be surveyed for the soil conservation program. He
is a member of the Grange and attends the Federated Church. He married,
December 21, 1924, Florence Edwards of Harrison Valley, daughter of
Emery and Edith (Stetson) Edwards. She was graduated from Harrison
Valley high School and from Mansfield State Normal School. She has
taught school for twenty-five years. She is a member of the Federated
Church, the Grange and of state and county teachers associations.
They have one son, Robert E., born February 10, 1929, a senior in
Harrison Valley High School. Robert has won a number of first awards
in the 4-H Club by showing Ayrshire cattle at fairs in the county.
He has won other awards at the Harrisburg Farm show. Mr. Carey’s hobby
- KENNETH H. MULKIN, practicing osteopath at Shinglehouse,
was born September 18, 1908, in Sharon Township, the son of C.A. and
Minnie (Holmes) Mulkin. He was graduated from Philadelphia School
of Osteopathy in 1933 with the degree of D.O. and has been practicing
in Shinglehouse since that time. He is a member of Phi Sigma Gamma
Fraternity, Pennsylvania Osteopathic Association, and is president
of Shinglehouse Bowling Association. He attends the Methodist Church.
He married, August 29, 1934, Phyllis E. Porter, daughter of George
S. and Minnie (Mealy) Porter, of Endeavor, Pa. Mrs. Mulkin attends
the Methodist Church. Dr. Mulkin’s hobbies are hunting, fishing and
- S. LYNN LUSH, manager of Lush Brothers which operates a
department store in Galeton, a furniture store in Wellsboro and an
appliance store in Wellsboro, was born at Manhattan, March 18, 1889,
the son of Henry W. and Cora E. Lush, descendants of pioneers who
settled in the vicinity of Williamsport at the close of the Revolutionary
War in which three branches of the family served. Mr. Lush, after
being graduated from Galeton High School and Williamsport Commercial
College, became, in 1907, Secretary of the Elk Creek Lumbar Company
at Eugene, Oregon. In 1910, he returned to Pennsylvania and became
manager of the mercantile business of Henry W. Lush. He continued
in this capacity until World War I during which he served as a sergeant
in the Field Artillery. He returned to Galeton in 1919 and was joined
by his brothers, Harry L., R. Otto and W. Gale, in forming a partnership
to take over the business which had been conducted by their father
from 1893 to 1919. Mr. Lush is a member of Galeton Lodge Number 602,
F.&A.M., and Coudersport Consistory. He is Commander of the American
Legion chapter and is President of Galeton Rotary Club. He is Ruling
Elder of the First Presbyterian Church of Galeton and has served on
the Board of Trustees for twenty-six years, sixteen of which he was
President of the Board. He served on Galeton Boro Council from 1924
until 1942, being its President for twelve years. He served on the
Board of Trustees of Lock Haven State Teachers College from 1930 to
1934. Mr. Lush is Secretary-Treasurer of the Elk Creek Lumber Company
in Eugene, Oregon, Receiver of the Galeton Banking Company and Resident
Secretary of Perpetual Care Fund of Galeton Cemetery. During World
War II, he was commissioned a captain in Pennsylvania Reserve Defense
Corps Auxiliary and he raised a company of volunteers for home defense
in Potter County. He married, June 19, 1930, Ethel Nordquist of Galeton.
They have one son, Henry W., born September 27, 1931, who is a cadet
at the Valley Forge Military Academy.
- GEORGE E. CARROLL was born in Little Valley, New York, October
27, 1880, son of Patrick J. and Anna T. (Costello) Carroll. Mr. Carroll
was formerly a station agent with the B&O Railroad. He is now
retired and makes his home in Genesee. Mr. Carroll had more than fifty
years’ service with the railroad. He is a member of Sacred Heart Church.
He married, September 3, 1907, Lenore M. Loney, daughter of Mr. and
Mrs. Michael Loney. Mrs. Carroll taught school for several years prior
to her marriage. She is a member of Sacred Heart Catholic Church,
of the Women’s Democratic Club and she was appointed by Governor
Earl as a member of the Board of Assistance of Potter County. Children:
(1) George E., Jr., who was a technical sergeant in charge of communications
at Nichols Field, Manila, during World War II. He was captured at
the surrender of Corregidor and he died while a prisoner of war at
Camp Cabanutuan. (2) Thomas Eugene, a veteran of World War II now
attending the University of Pasadena, California. (3) Leo V., of Greenwood,
New York, also a veteran of World War II. (4) Helen G., of Harrisburg,
a graduate of E.B.I. in Elmira, New York. She has charge of state
unemployment of Social Security of the State of Pennsylvania. (5)
Genevieve M., a graduate of R.B.I. She is a senior clerk for Metropolitan
Life Insurance Company of Olean, New York. Mr. Carroll’s hobby is
collecting railroad timetables. Mrs. Carroll’s hobby is writing poetry.
- PAUL RAYMOND KAPP, D.D.S. in Shinglehouse, was born November
25, 1902, in Harrisville, the son of Albert D. and Carrie M. (Schollenberger)
Kapp. He was graduated from Greenville High School, attended Theil
College for two years and the University of Cincinnati for two years.
He received his B.S. and D.D.S. at the University of Pittsburgh. He
started practicing dentistry in Shinglehouse August 7, 1930. Dr. Kapp
is a member of the American Dental Association, the Eighth District
of Pennsylvania Dental Association, Psi Omega Dental Fraternity, the
Parent-Teacher Association, Bolivar Country Club and Rod and Gun Club.
He is in charge of the only school dental clinic in Potter County.
He married, August 19, 1929, Flora Salamon, daughter of Charles and
Mary (Vogel) Solamon. She was graduated from Allegheny General Hospital
in Pittsburgh in 1928 as an R.N. Mrs. Kapp is a member of St. Theressa
Roman Catholic Church, and of P.A.R.N. Assocition. She is secretary-treasurer
of the Catholic Church and a past-president of the High School Parent-Teacher
Association. Children: (1) Paul Raymond, Jr., born June 26, 1930.
(2) Janice Ann, born December 3, 1931. (3) John Richard, born September
26, 1933. Dr. Kapp’s hobbies are hunting and fishing.
- JOHN F. STONE was born March 3, 1862, on a farm in Harrison
Township, the son of Levi and Hannah Stone. At twelve years of age,
he started being on his own. He attended Ulysses High School and business
college in Elmira, New York. He entered the clothing business in Ulysses
in the early ‘80’s. He later became Postmaster of Ulysses. In 1891,
he became Deputy Prothonotary of Potter County. He studied law in
the office of Benson, Mullin and Seibert and was admitted to practice
in local courts in 1896 and in the Supreme Court in 1901. Mr. Stone
was among those who drilled the first gas well that was the nucleus
of the Potter Gas Company, later the North Penn Gas Company. He was
instrumental in organizing the following: The Coudersport Trust Company;
The Grange National Bank of Ulysses; The First National Bank of Genesee;
The First National Bank of Allegany, New York; The First National
Bank of Shinglehouse; and the State Bank of roulette. He helped construct
the Eldred Water Plant and consolidated it with the Galeton Water
Company. He also organized the Benton Water Supply Company and the
Benton Electric Company. He has been President of the following: Columbus,
Ohio, Gas Company; Alliance, Ohio, Gas Company; Shinglehouse Natural
Gas Company; The Manufacturers Gas Company of Port Allegany; Roulette
Gas Company; Mountain Gas Company; and, V&S Bottle Company. He
was treasurer of the Genesee Chemical Company for many years. In 1903,
he purchased the Brookland, Pennsylvania, Farms where he has done
extensive farming. He was elected to the State House of Representatives
in 1930, and was re-elected in 1932. He married Kate Burt, of Ulysses.
They had two sons who died in infancy and one daughter, Marion Clare,
of Coudersport. She was graduated from Coudersport High School, National
Park Seminary and Boston Conservatory of Music. Mr. and Mrs. Stone
also reared and educated a niece, Elizabeth Burt, born in Ulysses.
She was graduated from Coudersport High School, Syracuse University
and Wilson College. She now conducts an insurance business in Coudersport.
Mr. Stone belongs to numerous lodges and organizations and is an honorary
33rd degree Mason.
- JEREMIAH JOSEPH CRONIN, pastor of Sacred Heart Church of
Genesee, was born in Ireland June 23, 1904, the son of Jeremiah Joseph
and Julia (Murphy) Cronin. Rev. Cronin came to America while a child.
He was graduated from Mt. St. Mary’s College at Emmitsburg, Maryland,
and was ordained at St. Mary’s Seminary in Baltimore, Maryland. He
has served in St. Andrew’s Church at Erie and in St. Catherine’s Church
at DuBois. On May 2, 1946, he came to Genesee. Rev. Cronin took an
active part in the war effort at DuBois. His activities included writing
weekly columns for men in service, making speeches on all patriotic
occasions and at War Bond drives, and making farewell addresses to
all contingents of service men leaving DuBois. He has made radio addresses
on Christmas, Easter and other special occasions since 1937. He gave
the welcoming home speech in 1946 at a big GI Homecoming celebration
in DuBois. Rev. Cronin’s hobbies are reading and writing for publication.
- JOHN S. PEARSALL, automobile dealer in Shinglehouse, and
Inter-State Commerce Transportation, was born April 30, 1898, son
of Herbert L. and Irene (Herrick) Pearsall, of Shinglehouse. His father
and mother were both school teachers and his father, after being graduated
from the University of Buffalo, was superintendent of schools in Cameron
County. Herbert L. was also in the lumbering and gas business which,
at the time of his death, his son, John S., took over and operated
for several years. John S. was also in the wholesale gasoline business
for several years. He was graduated from Shinglehouse High School
and from Westbrook Business Academy. He has been in the automobile
business in Shinglehouse for more than twenty years. He is a member
of the Methodist Church and Sharon Lodge Number 598 F.&A.M. which
his father helped organize in 1896. His father was the first master
of the lodge. Mr. Pearsall married, January 30, 1927, Sarah Woodard,
of Shinglehouse, daughter of Dr. James A. and Winnie (Marchisi) Woodard.
Mrs. Pearsall was graduated from Shinglehouse High School and attended
Western Reserve University at Cleveland, Ohio. She is a member of
the Methodist Church and is a Past Matron of Eureka Chapter 52 O.E.S.
They have two sons: John S., Jr., attending high school, and James
H., a student in junior high school. Mr. Pearsall’s hobbies are swimming
and hiking with his sons.
- MARY JOSEPHINE MILLER, a teacher in Potter County for more
than thirty years, was born July 4, 1868, daughter of John Richardson
and Sarah (Nelson) Miller, a pioneer family of Potter County. Miss
Miller attended school at Sweden, at Ulysses and at Tremont, New York
City. She is a member of Park Methodist Church, New Century Club and
S.H.G. Miss miller’s brother, the late Arthur J. Miller, had one son,
Victor L., a realtor of Seattle, Washington, who has three children:
iris Lysle (Miller) Groves who has three children, Sylvia Anne, Warren
David and Georgia June; Arthur E.; and Mary J. Another brother of
Miss Miller, the late John H. Miller, had one son, John Burdick Miller,
a professor at Bucknell University, who has three children: John Robert,
Eugene G. and Philip G. Miss Miller’s sister, Henrietta M. Miller,
resides in Eggertsville, New York.
- A. DONALD BARTOO, principal of Genesee Township School,
was born May 30, 1913, at Harrison Valley, the son of Clarence W.
and Ruby (Miles) Bartoo. He was graduated from Charleston Vocational
High School and from Mansfield State Teachers College. He also attended
Wharton School of Finance, University of Pennsylvania. After his graduation
from college, Mr. Bartoo worked two years in the state administration
office of the Works Progress Administration and three years in the
Auditor General’s office of the State of Pennsylvania. He then went
to the E.I. Dupont DeNemours Company of Wilmington, Delaware, where
he spent five years as a senior accountant. In 1945, he came to Genesee
as principal of Genesee Township School. He is a member of the Methodist
Church, Lewisville Lodge Number 556 F.&A.M. and Coudersport Consistory.
He married, August 17, 1937, Marie C. Wrobel, of New Castle, the daughter
of Joseph and Carolyn Wrobel. Mrs. Bartoo attended Commercial Business
School. She is a member of the Methodist Church. They have three children:
Donald F., born February 8, 1940, and twin daughters, Diane J. and
Phyllis Ann, born December 21, 1944. Mr. Bartoo’s hobbies are sports
- WILLIAM HENRY CURTIS, Justice of the Peace and Supervisor
of Genesee Township, was born at Andrew Settlement, Allegany Township,
August 21, 1877. He attended the district schools and was graduated
from Northern Indiana Business Institute April 8, 1898. He came to
Genesee in October of 1898 as bookkeeper for A.H. Borden and as secretary
of the Diamond Oil & Gas Company. In 1901, he became clerk in
the NY&P and the B&S Railroad station. He later became agent,
which position he held until May of 1936. He has served as Justice
of the Peace since January 5, 1914, and during this time he has performed
two hundred marriages. He has been secretary of Genesee Township since
1921, secretary of Potter County Supervisors’ Association since 1923
and Supervisor of Genesee Township since 1936. As supervisor, he has
attended eight sessions of the State Association of Supervisors as
a delegate from Potter County. He has been president of Old Folks
Reunion since 1938 and president of Genesee Townsend Club since 1939.
He is a member of Pomona Grange and of State and National Grange.
He also, at one time, conducted a store and was Postmaster at Andrew
Settlement. In 1911, he was elected County Surveyor and served four
years in that capacity. He was elected school director in 1921 and
served six years, having been its secretary at the time the new school
was built. Mr. Curtis married, November 14, 1901, Mary E. Smith, of
Oswayo, daughter of David Eugene and Joanna (Carmer) Smith. Mrs. Curtis
is a member of the W.C.T.U., the Ladies’ Aid of the Methodist Church,
Townsend Club, Grange, and Rebekah Lodge. Both Mr. and Mrs. Curtis
attend the Methodist Church. Children: (1) Joanna (Curtis) Whitney,
who died December 21, 1925. (2) Carlton J., of Buffalo, New York,
who has two children, Carol Jean and Jay. (3) James Eugene, of Genesee,
a veteran of World War II. He has one son, Robert. (4) William Henry
Jr., of Wellsville, New York, a veteran of World War II. He has three
daughters, Martha Ann, Joice Marie and Dorothy Jane. (5) Theodore,
of the U.S. Army Air Corps. (6) Ruth M. (Curtis) Carr, of Richburg,
New York, who has two children, Judith Pauline and Joseph Lawrence.
All six children of Mr. and Mrs. Curtis were graduated from Genesee
High School, the two daughters having been valedictorians of their
- ARTHUR W. McLATCHIE, who is associated with the Easton and
Fee Garage of Coudersport, was born in Mina on December 5, 1899, the
son of George L. and Anna (Klein) McLatchie. Arthur W.’s grandfather
McLatchie came to America from Scotland and his great-grandfather
Klein settled in Potter County almost one hundred years ago, having
migrated to this country from Germany. His grandfather Klein built
the house where Arthur W.’s mother now resides. Mr. McLatchie was
graduated from Coudersport High School. He is a member of the First
Presbyterian Church, Eulalia Lodge Number 342 F.&.A.M., Coudersport
Chapter Number 263, Potter Commandery Number 69 K.T. and Coudersport
Consistory. He married, December 23, 1925, Naomi Ruth Weimer, of Roulette,
the daughter of Major and Virginia (Rossman) Weimer. Mrs. McLatchie’s
grandparents were pioneer settlers of Potter County. She was graduated
from Roulette High School and from Lock Haven Normal School. She has
taught school for twenty-two years. She is a member of the First Presbyterian
Church, Daughters of American Colonists and Eulalia Chapter Number
148 O.E.S. She is Past Matron of O.E.S. Mrs. McLatchie’s hobby is
knitting and Mr. McLatchie’s hobby is working as an amateur gunsmith.
- E. LEETA KELLY, optometrist with offices in Galeton and
Westfield, was born in Galeton, the daughter of W.E. and Eva (Zimmerman)
Kelly. (See par. 134). Dr. Kelly received her education in Galeton
schools and Rochester School of Optometry. She has been practicing
optometry with her father since 1921. She is a member of the Business
and Professional Women'’ Club and attends the Methodist Church. Dr.
Kelly'’ hobby is antiques and she is the owner of a table which belonged
to Jerome Bonaparte, brother of Napoleon, and his American wife, Betsy
- FRANK WILSON KENDIG, Superintendent of the Consolidated
Water Company of Coudersport, was born in Orrstown, Franklin County,
on April 17, 1873, son of David Edward and Charlotte Ann Kendig. After
leaving school at the age of sixteen, he was employed for twelve years
by the Pennsylvania Railroad Company. He then spent six years with
the Ridgway Dynamo and Engine Company at Ridgway, after which he accepted
a position with the United Water and Guarantee Company of Harrisburg
as superintendent of its Jersey Shore Pennsylvania Water Plant. In
the course of two years, he was promoted to the position of general
manager of the company’s six water plants located in Pennsylvania,
New Jersey and West Virginia. This position he held for four years.
In 1912, he and his associates purchased the Galeton-Eldred Water
Company and, in 1914, they purchased the Consolidated Water Company
in Coudersport. In 1917, Mr. Kendig sold his interest in Galeton-Eldred
Water Company to his associates. He became the sole owner of the Consolidated
Water Company at that time, also becoming its president. In 1935,
he sold the stock of consolidated Water Company to Robert Hall Craig
of Harrisburg, and his associates. Mr. Kendig has been superintendent
of the company from 1935 until the present time. He is a director
of the First National Bank and president of Benton Water Supply Company.
He is a member of Christ Episcopal Church and of I.O.O.F. He is a
director of the Golf Club. He married, September 29, 1897, Nancy Gage
Holes, daughter of Charles and Isabella Holes, of Ridgway. Mrs. Kendig
is a member of Christ Episcopal Church. They have one daughter, Madge
Corrine Kendig, who married, August 20, 1926, Milton Kendall Cox,
of Schenectady, New York. Both Mr. and Mrs. Cox are graduates of Syracuse
- HARRY E. ELLIOTT, District Forester of the Susquehannock
District, was born June 5, 1882, in Mansfield, the son of Dr. and
Mrs. F.G. Elliott. He graduated from Mansfield State Teachers College
in 1902 and taught in the Pennsylvania public schools for three years.
In 1909, he graduated from Mount Alto School of Forestry and since
that time he has been a forester in the Pennsylvania Department of
Forests and Waters. Having been one of the earlier state foresters,
he has played an important part in the protection of all forest land
and in the administration of forest lands belonging to the state.
The Susquehannock District includes Potter, McKean and the northern
part of Clinton Counties, an area of approximately 1,330,000 acres
of forest land of which 272,000 acres belong to the state. Mr. Elliott
is a member of the Session of the First Presbyterian Church, Coudersport
Consistory, and is President of Coudersport Council. He married Mabel
Duncan Renfrew on June 7, 1911. They have three children: Julia Marie
(Elliott) Pierce of Logan, Ohio, a graduate of Grove City College;
Dr. Frederick Duncan Elliott, a graduate of Duke University who was
a lieutenant (j.g.) in the Navy during World War II and who is now
at Lahey Clinic in Boston, Massachusetts, married to Sara Bunch of
Commerce, Georgia; Thomas Renfrew Elliott, a graduate of Syracuse
University in Forestry, who was a captain in the U.S. Army during
World War II and is now assistant forester at Salem, Virginia, married
to Joanna Moore of El Paso, Texas. Mr. Elliott has been active in
Boy Scout work. His hobby is baseball.
- ADDIE CORNELIA (DOUGLASS) HARVEY, a prominent member of
the First Baptist Church was born in Ulysses May 25, 1861, daughter
of James Thomas and Susan E. (Basset) Douglass. Mrs. Harvey was educated
at Ulysses schools and at Lock Haven State Normal School. She is a
member of Potter County historical Society, Order of Eastern Star,
S.H.G. and First Baptist Church. She married, September 4, 1884, Mark
Stephen Harvey, son of Albert L. and Sarah (Spencer) Harvey. He was
graduated from Ulysses High School and Lock Haven State Normal School.
He was cashier and director of the First National Bank and treasurer
and director of the Coudersport Trust Company for about thirty years
prior to his death may 24, 1933. He was a deacon and trustee of the
First Baptist Church, a member of the church choir, a 32nd
degree Mason and a trustee of Coudersport Consistory. Children: (1)
Vera (Harvey) Hopkins, of Cleveland Heights, Ohio, born February 12,
1887. She received her education at Peddie Institute and Syracuse
University. She has one daughter, Eleanore (Hopkins) Bartels, of Kensington,
Maryland, born February 29, 1916, a graduate of Stephens College.
Mrs. Bartels has two daughters, Lynn h. and Leslie Georgie. (2) Roger
Douglas Harvey, born February 12, 1891. He was educated at Peddie
Institute, Harvard University and the University of Minnesota. He
received the degree of Doctor of Philosophy from Harvard. Dr. Harvey
spent three years as geologist in Chili with Braden Copper Company.
He later was geologist with Cero de Pasco Copper Company in South
America where he died August 31, 1931, at Lima, Peru. He was a Mason
and a veteran of World War I. He had one son, Roger B., who was born
April 28, 1932. (3) Beth B. (Harvey) Biesel, of Coudersport, born
November 3, 1892, a graduate of Syracuse University and a member of
Delta Delta Delta Sorority. She has one son, William Harvey Biesel,
born March 2, 1917, a graduate of Peddie School and the School of
Journalism at Syracuse University. He is a veteran of World War II.
- HARRY A KILBOURNE was born August 15, 1880, in Germania
Station, the son of Eldred and Mary (Impson) Kilbourne. He attended
school in West Pike, and he has completed courses from Scranton ICS
in engineering and Cooks Chicago Engineering Works in electrical engineering.
He was employed in 1896 by the B&S Railroad, now the Baltimore
and Ohio Railroad, and was promoted in 1907 to the position of locomotive
engineer, which position he now holds. He is a member of the B. of
L.E. Number 429 and General Chairman of the Board of Adjustments.
He is also a member of Galeton Lodge Number 602 F.&A.M. and Coudersport
Consistory. He married, June 30, 1909, Mabel J. Head, of Galeton.
Mrs. Kilbourne was born August 18, 1885, the daughter of William B.
and Agnes (Shelley) Head. She attended Mansfield State Teachers College
and taught school for several years before her marriage. She attends
the Methodist Church and is a Past Worthy Matron of Galeton Chapter
Number 53 O.E.S. They have two children: (1) Helen Agnes (Kilbourne)
Bliss who, during World War II worked with her husband, Merle Bliss,
a field director for the American Red Cross. They have one son, William
Elwin. (2) William Eldred of Elmira, New York, who attended Pennsylvania
State College. He has one son, William Eldred, Jr.
- JAMES J. MORLEY was born April 6, 1862 at Gold, the son
of William S. and Susan (Ardrey) Morley, pioneer settlers of Potter
County. William S. was a veteran of the Civil War. James J. attended
Potter County schools and has been a merchant and farmer. He served
as Commissioner of Potter County from 1920 to 1924. He was Justice
of the Peace for thirty years and assessor of Ulysses Township for
seven years. He married January 29, 1887, Minnie Conable, of Raymond,
daughter of Seth and Sarah (Burrous) Conable, pioneers of Potter County.
Mrs. Morley died January 14, 1919. Mr. Morley has four children, fifteen
grandchildren and twelve great-grandchildren: (1) Seth W. of Gold.
He has four children: (a) Chester H. of Gold who has three daughters,
jeanette, pear Marguerite and Jane; (b) Marguerite (Morley) Lehman
of Syracuse, New York, who has one son, James Edwin; (c) Marie (Morley)
Truax of West Bingham, who has two children, Stanley and Suzanne;
(d) James E. of Morgantown, West Virginia, a veteran of World War
II. (2) Mack B. of Middletown, New York, who married Eugertha Everitt.
They have eight children: (a) Kathryn (Morley) Allen, of Middletown,
who has two children, Karen Lee and Daniel; (b) Everitt, of Middletown,
who has two children, Joy and James; (c) Franklin P., a teacher in
Warwick High School; (d) Edith (Morley) Davis, whose husband is an
officer in the U.S. Navy and who has two children, Terry Lee and Cheryll
Lynn; (e) Marion (Morley) Hollinger of Portersville; (f) Maude, a
student at Fredonia College; (g) Mable, a student at Alfred University;
(h) Mack B., Jr. (3) Maude P. (Morley) Cloud of Gold, a graduate of
Mansfield State Teachers College. She taught in Potter County for
many years. (4) Edwin of Gold, who married Elizabeth Olmstead of Coudersport.
They have three children: (a) Mary, a teacher at Harrison Valley;
(b) George, at home; (c) Jack who is in the U.S. Army and is stationed
in Puerto Rico.
- WILLIAM H. CURRIER, dairy farmer at Andrews Settlement,
was born December 18, 1900, in Colesburg, the son of William and Harriet
(Carpenter) Currier. He graduated from high school in Columbus, Ohio,
and for a time was associated with the Briggs Manufacturing Co. He
has been dairy farming on his own farm since 1931, specializing in
the breeding of Holstein-Friesian cattle and Belgium draft horses.
He is a member of the Methodist Church, of Eulalia Lodge Number 342
F.&A.M., of the National Holstein Association and of the Belgium
Draft Horses Association of America. He is a 32nd degree
Mason, Coudersport Consistory. He married December 20, 1935, Mary
Gilliland of Ellisburg, the daughter of Daniel and Gertrude (Nelson)
Gilliland. Mrs. Currier is a graduate of Mansfield State Teachers
College and she taught school for several years prior to her marriage.
She is now secretary of the School Board and a member of the Methodist
Church. They have one son, William H., Jr., born September 5, 1936,
a student in Genesee. Mr. Currier’s hobbies are hunting and an interest
- ADE F. NICHOLS, Superintendent of the Potter County Home,
was born in 1873 in Shinglehouse. He was in the mercantile business
for a number of years and held an appointive office in the state capitol.
He was Postmaster in Shinglehouse from 1931 to 1935 when he was appointed
to his present position. He married, first, Blanche Mead. Children:
(1) Enos Nichols, of Port Allegany, who married Teresa Sanzo of Olean.
They have one daughter, Betty, who served two years overseas with
the Army Nurse Corps. (2) Gladys (Nichols) Mitchel, of Schenectady.
She has two children, Blanche and Edward. Mr. Nichols married, second,
Laura Price of Youngstown, Ohio. They have one son, Robert Ade, age
- MARGARET (SHUTT) WENTWORTH was born February 22, 1863, in
Ashokan, Ulster County, daughter of DuBois and Janette (Ennist) Shutt.
She received her education in Steuben County, New York. On October
18, 1883, she married Ernest L. Wentworth. Mr. Wentworth was in partnership
with E. W. Robinson in the leading general store in Coudersport until
his death on March 18, 1920. They had one son, Milton Schutt, born
December 18, 1893, died in March 1920. Both Mr. Wentworth and his
son were 32nd degree Masons. Mrs. Wentworth is a member
of the Baptist Church, O.E.S., New Century Club, Historical Society
and Alumni of the Chautauqua Reading Circle. Her hobby is homemaking.
- BIRDELLA (GRANT) GRABE, owner and manager of Grabe Furniture
Store in Coudersport, was born January 19, 1885 in Ottawa, Illinois,
the daughter of J.H. and Lucy (Savage) Grant. Mrs. Grabe graduated
from Coudersport High School and attended Elmira College, majoring
in music. She taught music for many years and has operated the Grabe
Furniture Store since 1927. She is a member of the Presbyterian Church,
of Eulalia Chapter Number 148, O.E.S., and of various civic clubs.
On March 3, 1907, she married Almon R. Grabe who was in the furniture
and undertaking business for many years. He died July 31, 1928.
- BERT STRAW, county agricultural agent of Potter County,
was born September 6, 1892, in Kerrmoor, Pennsylvania, the son of
Harrison and Emeline (Read) Straw. Both parents were from families
who were early settlers of Clearfield County during the Revolutionary
War. Mr. Straw graduated from Clearfield High School in 1912 and from
Pennsylvania State College in 1916. Since that time he has been engaged
in the business he is still conducting in Coudersport. He is a member
and an elder of the First Presbyterian Church, also a member of Eulalia
Lodge Number 342 F.&A.M., Coudersport Chapter Number 263, Potter
Commandery of Knights Templar Number 69 and Couderpsort Consistory.
He married, November 30, 1916, Gertrude Rush of State College, daughter
of William C. and Lucinda May (Knox) Rush. Mrs. Straw is a member
of the First Prebyterian Church, of Order of Eastern Star and is active
in various church organizations. Children: (1) Gertrude (Straw) Covey
of Willow Run, Michigan, who has one daughter, Nancy Jo. (2) Bert
Edward, a 1st lieutenant in the U.S. Army Air Corps, now
stationed in Germany. He married Elaine Watson who is now living in
Coudersport. They have one son, William Earl. (3) Mary Frances (Straw)
Tavery, of Houston, Texas, a veteran of World War II during which
she served as a pharmacist’s mate first class in the WAVES. (4) Joan
Marie, a student in Coudersport High School. Mr. Straw’s hobby is
- PERLEY E. CROWL, District Manager of the North Penn Gas
Company at Galeton and sales manager of Merchandise for Galeton and
vicinity, was born in Liberty, Tioga County, Pennsylvania, June 26,
1865, the son of Albert Aaron and Ann (Hubbard) Crowl. Mr. Crowl attended
school in Lawrenceville. He taught school in Lawrenceville for one
term and in Potter County for three terms. For five years he was a
lumber inspector in Mills. In March, 1890, Mr. Crowl came to Galeton
as inspector in the Clinton Mills. In June 1890, he became associated
with W.& I.R. Gale general store where he remained for three and
a half years, during which time he was also Assistant Postmaster.
He then worked with H. W. Lush for ten years. From 1903 to 1920 he
was district manager of Potter Gas Company and superintendent of Galeton
Eldred Water Company, formerly Potter Gas Company, and now has forty-three
years service with the company. He married, June 27, 1894, Angie White
of Harrison Valley, born August 1, 1868, the daughter of Lewis and
Eleanor (Hunter) White. Mrs. Crowl taught school for ten years before
her marriage. Mrs. Crowl is bookkeeper in the North Penn Gas Company
and has been with the company forty-three years. Both Mr. and Mrs.
Crowl are members of the Methodist Church. They have one daughter,
Mildred (Crowl) Huntington of Bradford. She is a graduate of Mansfield
State Teachers College and attended Syracuse University and Pennsylvania
State College where she studied vocal music. For several years she
taught art and music in Galeton schools and taught music to private
pupils. Mr. Crowl’s hobby is gardening.
- H. EDGAR FENNER was born August 7, 1872, son of Elisha P.
and Harriet (Smith) Fenner. Elisha was a Civil War veteran, having
served three years and eleven months. H. Edgar attended Alfred University
and started in the mercantile business in Coneville. He was Postmaster
there from 1902 to 1905. He then went to Cameron, New York, where
he conducted a hardware business for six years, following which he
was in the hardware business in Alfred, New York, for three years.
He then came to Shinglehouse where he conducted a general store for
twenty-eight years. He retired and now resides in Shinglehouse. Mr.
Fenner was president of the First National Bank of Shinglehouse for
sixteen years. He is a member of Cameron Mills Lodge Number 547 F.&A.M.
and of Coudersport Consistory. He married, March 2, 1895, Nina Locke,
daughter of C.F. and Mary (Coston) Locke, of Alfred. Mrs. Fenner attended
Alfred University. She is a member of O.E.S. and of the Grange. Both
Mr. and Mrs. Fenner are members of the First Seventh Day Baptist Church
of Alfred. They attend the Methodist Church in Shinglehouse. Children:
(1) Eldyn L., of Shinglehouse. (See par. 125). (2) Alyene (Fenner)
Brown, of Ithaca, New York. She is a graduate of Cornell University
and was associated with the Home Economics Department at Cornell.
She has two daughters, Barbara and Susan. Mr. and Mrs. Fenner have
spent several winters in Florida and California. Mr. Fenner has been
active in baseball and he is now an ardent golfer.
- WALTER PIERRE WELLS, attorney of Couderpsort, was born May
10, 1905, the son of John Walter and Eloise (Stebbins) Wells. (See
par. 38). He was educated at the University of Pennsylvania, Harvard
University and Dickinson School of Law. He is a member of Alpha Tau
Omega. He was admitted to the Potter County Bar on August 17, 1931,
and has been district attorney for Potter County since 1933. He is
director of the Citizens’ Safe Deposit and Trust Company, of Empire
Gas and Fuel company and of Bradley Producing Company. He is president
of the C&PA Railroad Company. He is a member of Christ Protestant
Episcopal Church, Eulalia Lodge Number 342 F.&A.M., Royal Arch
Chapter, Potter Commandery and I.O.O.F. He is a vestryman of Christ
Episcopal Church in Coudersport. He married, May 4, 1937, Anne Elizabeth
Mulligan. Children: John Walter Wells II, born March 23, 1942, and
Rosemary Anne Wells, born August 15, 1944.
- W. S. PFEIFFER, of Roulette, was born April 30, 1866, in
Marietta, Ohio, the son of John and Hannah Pfeiffer of Wurttemberg,
Germany, who came to American in 1860. John, a Civil War veteran,
marched with Sherman to the sea. W.S. received his early education
in Gallipolis, Ohio, and entered the leather business with his father
in Gallipolis. After coming to Roulette, Mr. Pfeiffer was in the leather
business for seven years. He was then electrical engineer in the Stave
Mill Company and Potter Gas Company for several years, after which
he studied photography in Pittsburgh. He returned to Roulette where
he conducted, for many years, a photography studio in his own home.
Mr. Pfeiffer is an active member of Eulalia Lodge Number 342 F.&A.M.
and of all bodies of Masonry including 32nd degree Coudersport
Consistory. He attends the Methodist Church. In 1936, he received
a diploma from the National Nutrition Society, for a correspondence
course, and in 1943 he received a certificate from the Commonwealth
of Pennsylvania Division of Homemaking Education for classes which
he attended in Roulette. He married, January 24, 1894, Nellie Boyington
of Roulette, the daughter of William Jackson and Purdence (Lyman)
Boyington. His great-grandfather was Major Isaac Lyman, of Revolutionary
War fame. Mrs. Pfeiffer founded and kept a public library in her home
where she also had a ladies’ furnishing store. She was always active
in the civic affairs of her community. She died December 1927. Mr.
Pfeiffer, at the age of eighty, makes his own garden, cans fruit and
vegetables and cares for his home. He has one brother, Fred W., who
resides in his old homestead in Gallipolis.
- CLYDE A. DEVLING, hardware merchant of Galeton, was born
in Westmoreland, Kansas, July 6, 1880, the son of John and Virginia
Mary (DeHaas) Devling. Mr. Devling received his early education in
Beech Creek and Lock Haven and graduated from Lock Haven Business
College. He came to Galeton in 1899 and was associated with a grocery
store until 1905 when he became engaged in the hardware business.
In 1925, his brother, Nelson J. became a partner in the business which
is now known as the Devling Brothers, Inc. Mr. Devling has been an
Elder of the Presbyterian Church since 1917. He is a member of the
Chamber of Commerce and of Galeton lodge Number 602 F.&A.M. and
Coudersport Consistory. He married first on August 26, 1903, Minnie
M. Schramm. She died in January 1917. He married second Emma L. Schramm
on August 1, 1918. She is a member of the Presbyterian Church, Galeton
Chapter Number 53, O.E.S. and the Auxiliary of the American Legion.
They have five children: (1) Wilhelmina (Devling) Watson, born May
25, 1919, a graduate of Mansfield State Teachers College and a resident
of Bradford. (2) Patricia E., born November 3, 1920, who attended
Mansfield State Teachers College and now resides in Galeton. (3) Mary
Virginia, born November 27, 1921, a graduate of Pennsylvania State
College and a veteran of World War II, with three years service in
the Women’s Army Corps, one and one-half of which were spent in Egypt.
(4) Betty Jane, born October 31, 1923, a graduate of Pennsylvania
State college and now a resident of Akron, Ohio. (5) Robert C., born
June 2, 1925, now of Galeton, a veteran of World War II in which he
served as an Ensign in the United States Naval Air Corps and during
which time he received training at Cornell University, Colgate University
and Chapel Hill. Mr. Devling’s hobby is baseball.
- HOWARD NEEFE SCHUTT was born May 8, 1894, in Coudersport,
son of Willard F. Schutt and Bertha (Neefe) Schutt. Willard was a
lumberman, merchant and also was a 33rd degree Mason. Howard
graduated from Rutgers and also received a degree from Columbia University.
He was a lieutenant in the 106th Field Artillery in the
First World War. Mr. Schutt is a partner in W.F. Schutt & Sons
Furniture Store in Coudersport. He is active in the Business Men’s
Club, American Legion and the Hospital Board. He is a member of Christ
Episcopal Church and is a 32nd degree Mason. On July 27,
1927, he married Lucille Wells, daughter of the Honorable J. Walter
Wells and Eloise (Stebbins) Wells. (See par. 38). Mrs. Schutt graduated
from Coudersport High School and Vassar College. Prior to her marriage,
she worked in new York City with the Society for Prevention of Cruelty
to Children and with the American Red Cross. Since her marriage she
has been active in the Red Cross, D.A.R. and literary and civic clubs.
She is a member of Christ Episcopal Church. Children: (1) Nancy Wells,
age 16, a student at Westtown Friends School in Chester County, Pennsylvania.
(2) Margot Eloise, age 14. Both Mr. and Mrs. Schutt are collectors
- CHESTER WARREN TODD, S.T.D., pastor of First Presbyterian
Church of Coudersport, was born in Kingston, New York, son of William
Newton and Livinia Jane Todd. William N. was pastor of several Dutch
Reformed churches in New York and New Jersey, later becoming pastor
of Presbyterian churches in Pennsylvania. Chester Warren Todd graduated
from Wooster College in 1905 with an A.B. degree and from Princeton
Theological Seminary in 1908. He was ordained in Coudersport, his
first church, by the Presbytery of Wellsboro on October 16, 1908.
On July 1, 1910, he became pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Mt.
Union and in 1919 he became pastor at Sunbury. He remained there for
twenty-five years, returning to the First Presbyterian Church in Coudersport
on September 1, 1944. He has received the following degrees: B.D.
from Susquehanna University in 1929, S.T.M. from Chicago Lutheran
Seminary in 1932, S.T.D. from Temple University in 1935. He was a
commissioner to General Assembly of Presbyterian Church U.S.A. at
Rochester, New York, in 1915, and at Grand Rapids, Michigan, in 1924.
He has been moderator of Wellsboro, Huntingdon and Northumberland
Presbyteries and has also been Stated Clerk of Northumberland Presbytery
since 1934. On June 28, 1910, he married Mathilde Reidy of Coudersport.
She taught school for six years prior to her marriage. She is active
in church societies, Red Cross work and literary clubs. Children:
(1) Margaret S. (Todd) Kline, of Lebanon, who has one child, Willa
Ann. (2) Virginia K. (Todd) Black, of New York, New York. (3) Jane
Lois Todd, also of New York.
- WILLIAM D. ALLEN, Justice of the Peace in Galeton and Director
and Vice-President of the First National Bank of Galeton, was born
March 27, 1870, in Stony Fork, Tioga County, the son of William J.
and Philinda E. (Dale) Allen. Mr. Allen received his early education
in Stony Fork. He came to Galeton in 1900 where he conducted a mercantile
business for nine years. He has been Justice of the Peace since 1907,
his present term to expire in 1950. He was Tax Collector of Galeton
for twenty-one years and in the insurance business from 1909 to 1945.
He is a member of the Baptist Church, Chamber of Commerce, Rotary
Club, Fraternal Order of Eagles and has been Secretary of the Industrial
Association for twenty years. He was Secretary of the Galeton Moose
Lodge Number 826 for thirty years. Mr. Allen is also Past Master of
Galeton Lodge Number 602 F.&A.M., Past Worthy Patron of Galeton
Chapter O.E.S. and a member of all bodies of Masonry, including all
York and Scottish Rite Masonry and Ismailia Temple A.A.O.N.M.S. of
Buffalo, N.Y. He married, November 26, 1895, Ray M. Hughes of Antrim.
She is a member of the Baptist Church and a Past President of the
W.C.T.U. They have three children: (1) William David, of Cleveland,
Ohio, born November 7, 1904, a graduate of Armour Institute of Technology.
He has two children, William David, Jr., and Ardis June. (2) Margaret
E. (Allen) Osani, of Valley Stream, New York, born August 5, 1906,
a graduate of Mansfield State Teachers College. She has three children,
David Duane, Marcia Rae and Carol Ann. (3) Duane Hughes, of Galeton,
born February 3, 1909, a graduate of East Stroudsburg Business College.
He has two sons, Duane H. and William D. IV.
- J. PHILIP THOMAS, secretary-treasurer of the Coudersport
Production credit Association and the National Farm Loan Association
of Coudersport, was born August 29, 1901, son of James M. and Mary
Ella (Davis) Thomas of Philadelphia, Pa. He graduated from Marple
Newton High school in Newton Square and attended Pennsylvania State
College. He came to Potter County in 1922 as cow tester of the county.
In 1928, he became an instructor at Rosebud Indian Hschool at Rosebud,
South Dakota. In 1934, he became associated with Coudersport Production
Credit Association, becoming secretary-treasurer in 1942. On July
1, 1946, he became secretary-treasurer of the National Farm Loan Ass’n
of Coudersport which comprises five counties, Cameron, Elk, McKean,
Tioga and Potter. He married, February 12, 1926, Katheryn Mary Dodd,
of Ulysses, daughter of Peter and Grace (Snyder) Dodd. Mrs. Thomas
graduated from State Teachers College and has taught school or several
- GEORGE A. MASTIN, merchant in Ulysses, was born April 20,
1885, the son of W.L. and Kate (Dimon) Mastin, pioneer settlers of
Potter County. Mr. Mastin received his early education in the public
schools. From March 6, 1909, until 1936, he operated a men’s clothing
store which, in 1936, he converted into a department store, taking
his sons-in-law, George W. McCoy and John P. Howland, into the business
as partners. He is director of the Grange National Bank, secretary
of the Masonic Building Association, past treasurer of Ulysses Library
and has held numerous Borough offices. He is active in civic projects.
He is a member of the Baptist Church and of all bodies of masonry,
including 32nd degree, Coudersport Consistory. He is also
Chief Ripper of the Rip and Tearum Lodge Number 23 of the Order of
Red Republicans, organized in 1920. He married, March 18, 1911, Kathryn
Grabe of Coudersport, daughter of Theodore A. and Mary Grabe. She
is a member of Ulysses Chapter Number 95 O.E.S. and of the Lutheran
Church in Coudersport. They have two daughters: (1) Jeane of Ulysses,
a graduate of Lewisville Vocational School and a Past Worthy Matron
of Ulysses Chapter Number 95 O.E.S. She married George W. McCoy of
Ulysses. They have three children, Sandra, George, III, and Karen.
(2) Betty, of Dundee, New York, a graduate of Lewisville Vocational
School. She married John P. Howland of Coudersport. They have two
children, Perry and Gary. Mr. Mastin’s hobbies are fishing and growing
- MARY ALICE (BARNHART) MARTIN, who has lived more than a
century, was born in Gaines Township, Tioga County, Pa., on December
24, 1844, the daughter of Daniel K. and Marietta (Bernauer) Barnhart.
She is a member of the Free Will Baptist Church at West Pike and was
a trustee of the church and extremely active in church work until
1945. She has always been considered a good neighbor. She has been
a member of the Grange and she was president of the cemetery association
for many years. She married Stephen Henry Martin, May 16, 1869. He
died in 1886. They had nine children, one of whom is living, J. Kent
Martin, a dairy farmer in West Pike with whom Mrs. Martin resides.
J. Kent married Gertrude Wentworth. They have four children: (1) Warren
Brownell Martin, a veteran of World War II with five years’ service
in the U.S. Army. He graduated from Westminster Choir School and traveled
to Europe with the Choir in 1934. (2) Esther Alice, a graduate of
Mansfield State Teachers College, now attending Pennsylvania State
College. (3) David Kent, a graduate of Pennsylvania State College
and a veteran of World War II with three years’ service as a 1st
lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps. (4) Paul Charles, a student at
Pennsylvania State College and a veteran of World War II. He has one
daughter, Mary Jean. Mrs. Martin’s daughter, Elinor Alice, who died
May 17, 1946, was for more than 48 years a teacher and for more than
thirty years assistant principal of Galeton High School. She was also
prominent and active in the civic and social affairs of the community.
Mrs. Martin, at the age of 102, is able to get around in a wheel chair
and wash dishes.
- NELLIE (LACY) CURRAN, editor-manager of the Leader Dispatch
in Galeton, was born in Galeton, the daughter of Edward and Anna (Walsh)
Lacy. She attended Galeton schools and was graduated from Lafayette
High School in Buffalo, New York, and from Burns Business School of
Buffalo. She was employed as a secretary for Travelers Insurance Company
in Buffalo from 1915 to 1917 and as stenographer in the stores department
of the B&S Railroad in Galeton from 1917 to 1927. She assumed
her present duties in October 1941. She is publicity chairman of Galeton
Chapter of American Red Cross, secretary of the Galeton Business and
Professional Women’s Club, chairman of the annual fund-raising appeal
of the National Foundation of Infantile Paralysis, member of the Pennsylvania
Women’s Press Association and of National Women’s Press Association.
She married, May 14, 1927, Michael J. Curran. (See par. 81). They
have one daughter, Patricia, born February 21, 1929, in Williamsport.
She is a senior in Galeton High School and is a member of the high
school band. She plans to enter Mansfield State Teachers College in
September of 1947. She plans to study music.
- CARLTON C. GROVER was born November 17, 1871, in Bingham
Township, Potter County, the son of Charles H. and Eliza (Raymond)
Grover. He has been a prosperous farmer, a successful merchant and
an active politician in Potter County for many years. He now resides
in Ulysses. He is a member of the Baptist Church and of the Grange.
He married, September 21, 1898, H. Emma Kibbe, of Bingham Township,
born September 16, 1874, the daughter of George W. and Dorothy (Fuller)
Kibbe. The grandparents of both Mr. and Mrs. Grover were pioneer settlers
of Potter County. Mrs. Grover is a graduate of Mansfield Normal School
and she taught school for several years prior to her marriage. She
is a member of the Baptist Church and of W.C.T.U. Children: (1) Gladys
Eliza, of Ithaca, new York, a graduate of Ithaca College. She married
Walter S. Wollf. They have two children, Jacqueline Mae and Walter
Scott. (2) Dorotha, of Homestead Park, a graduate of Mansfield State
Teachers College, who also attended Columbia University. She married
William Jackson. They have three children, Patricia Ann, Robert Arlton
and William, Jr. (3) Dewert Greenleaf, a dentist in Elkland, a graduate
of Pittsburgh University Dental School. He married Margaret Jennings.
(4) Arlton George, principal of the high school in Washington, Pennsylvania,
a graduate of Pittsburgh University. He married Winifred Burtch. They
have three children, Jarvis Arlton, Sandra and Linda. (5) Eldon Grover,
a professor at Nichols College in Dudley, Massachusetts. He graduated
from the University of Ohio at Athens, Ohio. Mrs. Grover is interested
in politics and in W.C.T.U. work. Mr. Grover is interested in politics.
- THOMAS H. NANNEY, Master Mechanic of the B&S Railroad,
now the B&O Railroad, for more than thirty years, was born in
Evansville, Indiana, September 5, 1870, the son of Hiram C. and Hester
Ann (Miller) Nanney. He received his early education in Evansville,
and has been connected with the railroad mechanical department most
of his life. He is a life member of the American Railroad Association,
Mechanical Division. He is also a member of Galeton Lodge Number 602
F.&A.M. and Coudersport Consistory. He married, January 15, 1910,
Nora Alexander of Evansville, the daughter of Homer and Nancy H. Alexander.
Mrs. Nanney has been active for many years in Galeton welfare and
American Red Cross work. She is a member of Galeton Chapter Number
53 O.E.S. Mr. Nanney’s hobbies are reading and archaeology. Both Mr.
and Mrs. Nanney have travelled extensively.
- CLAIR W. STATHAM, merchant and Justice of the Peace in Harrison
Valley, Pennsylvania, was born December 16, 1916, the son of Ida (Smith)
Statham and the late Carl Statham. His ancestors were among the pioneer
settlers of Potter County. He has always made his home in Harrison
Valley. After graduating from high school in 1934, he was employed
by the Schweitzer store and the Hubbard store and in 1940 he became
proprietor of his own general store. In 1941 he was elected Justice
of the Peace. In 1931, Mr. Statham became a member of the Baptist
Church, a part of the Federated Church of Harrison Valley. Since that
time he has been active in church work and has been presented with
a certificate licensing him to preach. During the absences of local
pastors, he has often preached in the Christian and Missionary Alliance
Church and in the Federated Churches at Potterbrook, Mills and Harrison
Valley. He is also Sunday School Superintendent and teacher. Mr. Statham’s
hobby is farming. He owns, in partnership with his brother-in-law,
Benjamin Truax, a township farm.
- LOUIS RAUB was born march 24, 1871, in Renchen, Germany,
the son of Louis and Caroline Raub. He received his early education
in Germany, coming to America in 1892. He has made his home in Pennsylvania
since that date. He owns and operates a large service station in West
Pike. He is a member of the Catholic Church. He married January 3,
1894, Amelia Cook, of Lancaster. She was born in Karlsruhe, Germany,
November 9, 1870, and came to America in 1888. She is a member of
the Catholic Church. They have three children: (1) Hilda (Raub) Davies,
who has one son, William, a veteran of World War II. (2) Clara (Raub)
Livingston, who has two children, Howard, a veteran of World War II,
and Virginia Alice. (3) Otto, a veteran of World War II, who has two
sons, John Louis of the U.S. Navy and Thomas Otto. Mr. Raub’s hobbies
are hunting and fishing.
- ELDYN L. FENNER, drilling contractor and oil producer of
Shinglehouse, was born July 22, 1898, in Alfred, New York, the son
of H. Edgar and Nina (Locke) Fenner. (See par. 110). He attended Alfred
public schools and studied agriculture at Alfred University. He has
been a farmer and merchant and, for the past seventeen years, he has
also been a drilling contractor. He is a member of the Seventh Day
Baptist Church of Alfred, a member of Sharon Lodge Number 598 F.&A.M.
and of Coudersport Consistory. He married, November 26, 1925, Helen
M. Myrick of Shinglehouse, born January 31, 1901, in Knoxville, the
daughter of Isaac N. and Amanda O. (Huber) Myrick. She graduated from
Shinglehouse High School and attended Lock Haven Normal School. She
is a member of the Methodist Church, Grange, Eulalia Chapter Number
52 O.E.S., and the School Board. She is Secretary of the County Board
of School Directors and Past President of the P.T.A. Children: (1)
Marjory (Fenner) Lederhouse, of Ransomville, New York, who has two
daughters, Carol and Karen. (2) Mary Louise, a student in Shinglehouse
High School. (3) H. Edgar, also a student in Shinglehouse High School.
Mrs. Fenner’s hobbies are bowling and golf. Mr. Fenner’s hobbies are
fishing and golf.
- EMIL ANDREW ZEAMAN, owner and manager of the Germania Hotel
in Germania, was born in Germania, January 3, 1879, the son of Wenzle
and Anna Zeaman. He was a fireman and engineer of the B&O Railroad
for thirty-five years. He returned to Germania in 1932, where he has
remained since that date. He is a member of the Moose lodge and of
the Locomotive Firemen and Engineer Lodge. He married, September 19,
1902, Mary Collins of LeRoy, New York, the daughter of Jerry and Elizabeth
(Ryan) Collins. She is a member of the Catholic Church, W.B.A.M. and
Ladies Auxiliary of the Locomotive Firemen and Engineers.
- JOSEPH A. ENGLISH, insurance broker and distributor for
Investor’s Syndicate of America, Inc., in Coudersport, was born at
Olean, New York, September 12, 1911, son of A.J. and Mary (Golden)
English. He is a graduate of Coudersport High School and of Slippery
Rock State College where he majored in physical education. After his
graduation from college, he was associated for two years with the
Pennsylvania Department of Highways. Following this, he was County
Supervisor for Adult Recreational Education for five years. He then
went to his present position which was interrupted for thirty-six
months while he was in service in the U.S. Navy as a lieutenant. While
in the Navy, Mr. English served on Admiral Nimitz’ staff and as an
officer aboard the U.S.S. West Virginia. Mr. English is a member of
St. Eulalia Catholic Church, the American Legion, V.F.W., Reserve
Officer’s Naval Service and Reserve Officer’s Association. On November
7, 1936, he married Wilda L. Haupt, daughter of Wallace H. and Mabel
(Shick) Haupt of Coudersport. Mrs. English is a graduate of Tioga
High School and she attended Fairfax Hall, Waynesboro, Virginia, and
Elmira Business Institute at Elmira, New York. Mr. and Mrs. English
have one son, Terrance lee, born January 24, 1940. Mr. English is
county chairman of the American Red Cross, First Aid and Water Safety.
His hobbies are recreational activities.
- EMIL J. KNECHTEL, JR., was born July 22, 1892, in Coudersport,
the son of Emil J. and Mary Knechtel. He graduated from Coudersport
High School and has been in the grocery business for some years. He
has been manager of the Market Basket in Coudersport since 1924. He
is a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge. He married, May 10, 1913, Edna
Roth of Buffalo, New York. She is a member of the Lutheran Church
and of the Ladies Auxiliary of the American Legion. Children: (1)
Evelyn (Knechtel) Martin, of Coudersport, born April 15, 1914. She
has one son, George. (2) Howard E., of Coudersport, a veteran of World
War II, with four years’ service in the Medical Corps of the U.S.
Army. (3) Lillian M. (Knechtel) Kocher, of Chester, who has three
children, Kenneth, Wanita, and Lillian. Mr. Knechtel’s hobbies are
fishing, hunting and bowling.
- KATHERINE J. REESE was born April 13, 1865, in Lisle, New
York, the daughter of Albert A. and Celina (Johnson) Hodskin. She
married, first, James B. Benson, son of the Hon. Isaac Benson and
Eugenia (Stebbins) Benson, one of the fore-most families of Potter
County. Mr. Benson was an attorney. He died May 30, 1897. Children:
(1) Eugenia (Benson) Perry. (See par. 16). (2) Frances A. Benson,
of Coudersport, born October 2, 1888, in the house that is now the
Masonic Consistory. She is a member of Alligewi Chapter of the D.A.R.,
of Eulalia Chapter of O.E.S., of New Century Club and of Christ Episcopal
Church. (3) Eloise (Benson) Cole, of Batavia, New York, born may 9,
1891, a graduate of mechanics Institute. Mrs. Reese married, second,
Dr. Francis Gurney Reese, on March 8, 1899. He graduated from the
University of Pennsylvania and from the university’s medical school.
He came to Coudersport in 1894, where he practiced medicine until
the time of his death, December 4, 1942. In 1914, he completed an
advanced course in surgery at the Polyclinic Hospital in New York
City. He was a member of the American Medical Association, of Potter
County Medical Society, of Sons of the American Revolution and of
the Potter County Historical Association. He was also a member of
Christ Episcopal Church and was a 33rd degree Mason. They
had one son, Dr. Albert G. Reese. (See par. 6). Mrs. Reese is a member
of the Alligewi chapter of the D.A.R. and of Christ Episcopal Church.
- HOWARD D. MORTON, funeral director of Shinglehouse was born
at Randolph, New York, June 4, 1886, the son of W.S. and Etta Morton.
He graduated from Great Valley, New York, High School and from Simmons
School of Embalming at Syracuse, New York. He is a member of county,
state and national funeral directors’ associations. He married Elizabeth
M. Martin, of Great Valley, the daughter of Thomas and Fanny Martin.
She taught school for several years prior to her marriage. She is
a member of St. Theressa Catholic Church. They have one daughter,
Bette Jane, who graduated from Shinglehouse High School and from E.J.M.
Meyer Hospital in Buffalo, New York.
- KATHERINE S. ROOT, of Coudersport, the daughter of Harvey
G. and Sabina (Ziefle) Root, was born October 29, 1903, in Wharton.
Harvey G. was a partner in Root Bros. Lumbering Business in Potter
County, one of the big lumber jobbers of Pennsylvania. He was prominent
in the affairs of the community, was a school director and a director
in the Citizens Safe Deposit and Trust Company for many years prior
to his death. He was a 32nd degree Mason and was active
in Consistory work. Katherine attended the Potter County schools and
Mechanics Institute at Rochester, New York. She is prominent in civic
and social clubs of the community and her hobby is sewing. She finds
time and enjoys making dresses for her friends.
- MARK L. VAN WEGEN, farmer specializing in potato growing
in Hebron Township, was born April 20, 1884, in Hebron Township, the
son of Marion F. and Addie (Anson) VanWegen. His grandparents were
pioneer settlers of Potter County. He attended Potter County schools.
Mr. VanWegen is a member of the Pennsylvania Potato Growers’ Association,
director of Potter County Farmers’ Alliance and a member of the Central
Grange and of Coudersport Consistory. He attends the Methodist Church.
He is a committeeman for the G.L.F. He married, June 1, 1918, Esther
Niles of Eulalia Township, the daughter of F.L. and Carrie (Clark)
Niles. Mrs. VanWegen is a member of the Methodist Church, of Eulalia
Chapter Number 148 O.E.S., of Central Grange, of Farmers’ Alliance
and of the W.C.T.U. They have one son, Harold Francis, a student at
Alfred University. He is a veteran of World War II. Mr. VanWegen’s
hobby is traveling.
- VICTOR LOUIS MASON, owner of Mason’s Creamery in Coudersport,
was born September 23, 1908, Passaic, New Jersey, the son of Victor
Louis and Daisy Comstock (Simons) Mason. Victor Louis, Sr., was a
prominent politician and businessman. During the Spanish-American
War he was private secretary to the Secretaries of War, R.A. Alger
and Elihu Root. He was associated in business with General Alger in
Detroit, Michigan. He was also President of N.C. Transcontinental
Construction Company and asst. Secretary of the Republican National
Committee in charge of the Eastern Division Campaign of 1908. Victor
Louis, Jr., received his education in Montclair, New Jersey, High
School, City College, New York City and Brooklyn Polytechnic School
of Engineering. He worked for the Engineering Department of the Erie
R.R., the Penna. R.R. and the Penna. State Highway Department. He
is at the present time in the creamery business, manufacturing ice
cream and dairy products in Coudersport. He is a member of Coudersport
Consistory, 32nd degree Mason. He married Maxine L. Schadenberger,
the daughter of Frank and Marie Schadenberger. (See par. 56). She
is a member of Christ Episcopal Church and Eulalia Chapter No. 148
O.E.S. They have two children, Victoria Luise and Victor Louis, III.
- W. E. KELLY, optometrist with offices in Galeton, Knoxville
and Westfield, was born in Thurston, New York, the son of James and
Mary Kelly. His early education was received in Campbell, New York.
He studied watch making in Philadelphia College of Horology and was
in the jewelry business in Galeton for ten years before attending
Northern Illinois College of Optometry from which he graduated in
1908. He also took a post graduate course in 1912. He continued in
the jewelry and optometry business until 1935, at which time he began
devoting his entire time to the practice of optometry. He was watch
inspector for many years for the B&S and B&O Railroads. Dr.
Kelly attends the Methodist Church and is a member of the Chamber
of Commerce. He married, July 24, 1888, Eva Zimmerman of Marshland.
She was active in the jewelry business and in church work. She died
December 24, 1933. He has one daughter, E. Leeta. (See par. 98). Dr.
kelly’s hobby is taking automobile trips.
- RAYMOND B. WOOD was born May 31, 1871, in East Smithfield,
Pa., the son of Francis and Delphine (Campbelle) Wood. He received
his education in East Smithfield schools, Rochester Business Institute
and Elmira School of Commerce. He was in the dairy business in Bradford
County and Wilkes-Barre before coming to Potter County in 1897. He
was in the office of the B&S Railroad until 1905 when he became
freight and passenger agent at Ansonia and Cross Fork. He came to
Galeton in 1910 as freight and passenger agent. He retired in 1933,
since which time he has made his home in Galeton. He married, January
25, 1804, Jennie Beach of East Smithfield. She was born March 26,
1874, the daughter of George T. and Edith (Bullock) Beach. Both Mr.
and Mrs. Wood are members of the Methodist Church. Their children
are: (1) Francis E., born March 19, 1895, now educational director
at Viewpoint School near Amenia, New York. He has three children,
Rutson, Marilyn and Miriam. (2) Edith (Wood) Menkee, of Akron, Ohio,
who is a graduate nurse. She has one daughter, Diane. (3) Lyndon L.,
born September 16, 1899, who attended Syracuse University. He died
October 5, 1931. (4) Leland R., born January 20, 1905, now vocational
director at Midland High School. He has two daughters, Penelope and
Lynda. (5) Willard B., born April 3, 1911, a veteran of World War
II, having served three years in the U.S. Army, now associated with
the Star Gazette in Elmira, New York. Mr. Wood’s hobby is gardening
and Mrs. Wood’s hobby is music.
- MARY JANE (KINNEY) McGOEY was born February 22, 1876, to
John W. and Amy (Rennells) Kinney of Blockhouse, Pa., one of the pioneer
families of Potter County. She married Matthew M. McGoey, August 6,
1895. He operated a blacksmith shop in Coudersport. He died July 31,
1933. Mrs. McGoey is a member of Park Methodist Church. Children:
(1) Gertrude (McGoey) Brewer McGuire, of Minneapolis, Minnesota, a
graduate of Bucknell College. She has one son, Thomas Mathew, a veteran
of World War II. (2) Ruth (McGoey) Potter, a graduate of Rochester
Institute. She has two children, Robert Gordnier and Katharine Mary.
(3) Edna Norma (McGoey) Mason of Baltimore, Md., a graduate of George
Washington University Hospital. She has two children, Frank E. and
- EDWARD DOUGLAS FISHER, a farmer specializing in potato culture,
was born October 3, 1905, the son of Edward M. and Mildred F. (McKay)
Fisher. He attended school in Buffalo, New York, and graduated from
High School in Mayville, New York. He studied agriculture at Cornell
University and did agricultural work in New York State for six years
prior to coming to Potter County in 1930, at which time he was associated
with the G.L.F. with whom he remained for five years. He then started
farming and potato growing with A.C. Ramseyer of Smithville, Ohio.
In 1935, Mr. Fisher purchased abandoned farms in Potter County and
since that time has specialized in agriculture, potato growing and
the raising of Christmas trees on land otherwise unsuited for agriculture.
At the present time, he operates farms consisting of two thousand
acres. He has 220,000 Christmas trees planted. He is a member of Christ
Episcopal Church, of Eulalia Lodge Number 342 F.&A.M., Coudersport
Consistory, Grange, I.O.O.F. and Rotary Club. He is vice-president
of Pennsylvania State Potato Growers’ Association and chairman of
Soil Conservation in Potter County. On November 29, 1933, he married
Mildred Nelson of Coudersport, daughter of A.T. and Viola Nelson.
(See par. 8). Mrs. Fisher attended Westbrook Business School in Olean,
New York. She is a member of Christ Episcopal Church, of Eulalia Chapter
Number 148 O.E.S., New Century Club and of various civic clubs. Children:
(1) Douglas Nelson, born January 21, 1935. (2) Rita Marie, born September
3, 1936. (3) Drusilla Lee, born May 18, 1938. (4) Kristine Margaret,
born December 18, 1941. Mr. Fisher’s hobby is the study of nature.
- DE GROVER VAN DE BOE, regional Scout executive, was born
August 23, 1885, in Harrison Township, the son of Carmi D. and Ida
(Grover) VanDeBoe. His father was of Holland Dutch and his mother
of colonial English ancestry. He graduated from Coudersport High School,
the University of Pennsylvania and the U.S. Military Academy at West
Point. He studied law in Coudersport and was admitted to the bar in
1911. He practiced law in Potter County until 1917, when he entered
the U.S. Army as a major in the infantry of the AEF in World War I.
He became Boy Scout executive in Harrisburg in 1919 and deputy regional
Scout executive over the states of Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland,
Virginia and of the District of Columbia in 1926. In 1945, he spent
four months making a survey of conditions in Germany relative to a
program of activities for German youth. This work was done for the
U.S. Military Government. Mr. VanDeBoe and all the members of his
family are members of Christ Episcopal Church. He is a 33rd
degree mason and a member of Sigma Nu Fraternity. He married, September
16, 1914, Vesta Ella, daughter of William and Eva (Dyke) Thompson.
Mrs. VanDeBoe is a graduate of Syracuse University. Children: (1)
A son who died in infancy. (2) Gretchen (VanDeBoe) Fesus, of Akron,
Ohio, a graduate of Marjory Webster School in Washington, D.C., who
was a Red Cross recreational director for blind soldiers during World
War II. (3) Evelyn D. (VanDeBoe) Mann, of Lansdowne, Pa., a graduate
of West Chester State Teachers’ College. She did post-graduate work
at the University of Wisconsin. (4) Wilhelmina (VanDeBoe) Irvine,
of State College, a graduate of Marjory Webster School. She was a
corporal in the WAC during World War II. Mr. VanDeBoe intends to make
his home in Coudersport upon his retirement in 1950. His hobbies are
woodcarving and iron work. Mr. VanDeBoe is a brother of Charles C.
VanDeBoe. (See par. 79)
Deceased During Publication
George E. Carroll November 2, 1946
JJ. Morley, October 5, 1946
INDEX OF BIOGRAPHIES
Abson, Floyd Edward 4
Akeley, Archibald P. 65
Allen, William D. 116
Baker, Archie Know 68
Baldwin, Addie G. (Wolters) 28
Barr, Eldon S. 37
Bartoo, A. Donald 95
Bartoo, Herbert R. 5
Berger, James Stanley 39
Blish, Frank M., Sr. 84
Buck, Lawrence 46
Burrous, C. Mat 58
Burt, Jessie (Lewis) 85
Burt, Mary Louisa (Sheldon) 31
Cane, Harry E. 19
Carroll, George E. 89
Cary, Wesley E. 86
Chapman, Norman 43
Chappell, Margaret (McGinnis) 23
Colcord, Edith (Haskell) 35
Covey, Katherine (Knox) 51
Cronin, Jeremiah Joseph 92
Crosetto, Michael John 75
Crowl, Perley E. 109
Curran, Michael Joseph 81
Curran, Nellie (Lacy) 120
Currier, William H. 104
Curtis, William Henry 96
Daily, Seward Wells 25
Deiterich, Florence (Fleshutz) 3
Devling, Clyde A. 113
Doane, Mary (Cook) (Faulkner) 44
DuBois, William Frederick 21
Edgcomb, Minnie C. (Tice) 2
Elliott, Harry E. 100
English, Joseph A. 127
Fenner, Eldyn L. 125
Fenner, H. Edgar 110
Fisher, Edward Douglas 137
Gallup, Clayton E. 71
Grabe, Birdella (Grant) 107
Grabe, George H. 32
Green, John Franklin 17
Grover, Carlton C. 121
Hall, Wrayburn B. 1
Hamilton, Dorothy (Cilley) 74
Hart, Henry D. 63
Harvey, Addie Cornelia (Douglas) 101
Haynes, Carrie (Grover) 64
Henderson, James L. 29
Herrick, Charles A. 73
Herrick, Collins Soloman 7
Hug, Fanny (Goetz) 20
Johnson, Victor E. 90
Kapp, Paul Raymond 40
Kazmierski, Robert Henry 98
Kelly, E. Leeta 134
Kelly, W.E. 48
Kendig, Frank Wilson 99
Kenyon, Howard G. 77
Kilbourne, Harry A. 102
Knechtel, Emil J., Jr. 128
Knight, Ella B. (Kinny) 9
Langworthy, Byron L. 11
Leete, Rosell H. 67
Lewis, Belle (Haskell) 61
Lewis, Robert Rathbun 34
Lilly, Morton H. 45
Lush, S. Lynn 88
Lyman, Kittie N. (Thompson) 80
Lyman, Robert Ray, Sr. 53
Mahaley, John W. 30
Martin, Mary Alice (Barnhart) 119
Mason, Victor Louis 133
Mastin, George A. 118
McGoey, Mary Jane (Kinney) 136
McLatchie, Arthur W. 97
McLaughlin, Robert S. 57
Meine, Philip A. 10
Michelfelder, Clella (Stevens) 42
Miles, Vernal C. 59
Miller, Mary Josephine 94
Moody, Donald Lee 22
Morley, James J. 103
Morton, Howard D. 130
Mosch, Herman Carl 26
Mulkin, Kenneth H. 87
Nanney, Thomas H. 122
Nelson, Almeron Taggert 8
Nichols, Ade F. 105
O’Connell, Francis M. 62
Patterson, Coletta D. (Dunn) 15
Pearsall, John S. 93
Perry, Eugenia Celina (Benson) 16
Pfeiffer, W. S. 112
Potter, Lettie (Gordnier) 60
Raub, Louis 124
Reese, Albert G. 6
Reese, Katherine J. 129
Rennells, Cora Elizabeth 14
Reynolds, Frank W. 24
Richards, Robert Wayne 35
Root, Katherine S. 131
Rosenbloom, S. Joseph 49
Rumsey, David Noah 36
Sawyer, Sheil Bond 12
Schadenberger, Frank H. 56
Shutt, Howard Neefe 114
Selt, Jenny (Dykeman) 47
Shear, William Albert 41
Simendinger, Raymond L. 72
Sinon, John T. 33
Smith, Howard R. 27
Spencer, Ada (Raymond) 76
Statham, Clair W. 123
Stevens, Lena E. 70
Stocum, Louis G. 18
Stone, John F. 91
Straley, Rudolph C. 54
Straw, Bert 108
Sullivan, James L. 66
Thomas, J. Philip 117
Todd, Chester Warren 115
VanDeBoe, Charles C. 79
VanDeBoe, De Grover 138
VanWegen, Mark L. 132
Voorhees, Lee Arthur 78
Wagner, Wilbur A. 82
Wallgren, Andrew Bennett 52
Weimer, Major 50
Wells, John Walter 38
Wells, Walter Pierre 111
Wentworth, Margaret (Schutt) 106
Wenzel, Gilbert Lee 83
White, Mark R. 13
Wood, Raymond B. 135
Woodard, Ina (Harlow) 69
Zeaman, Emil Andrew 124