WHO’S WHO IN POTTER COUNTY
Brief Biographies of Many of the Prominent Residents of Potter County,
And A Brief Review of the History of Potter County
By Marie Schadenberger and Sylvia Wilson
F. A. Owen Pub. Co., Dansville, NY
Transcribed & Submitted by PHGS Member: Sheri D. Graves
See the end of page B for an index.
A BRIEF REVIEW OF THE HISTORY OF POTTER COUNTY
In the early 1800’s there came to the area now called Potter County
the first permanent settlers believed ever to have inhabited this area.
To the unbroken forests of pine and hemlock and cherry, men brought their
axe and sawmill, their flocks of migratory workers and their hardier ambitious
settlers who remained to make the land their home. Many of the present-day
residents of Potter County are descendants from the pioneers who chose
to take up permanent abode here.
White men seem to have been the first permanent inhabitants of Potter
County. The wooded hills apparently held no allure as a home for the Indians.
They preferred, for permanent camping grounds, the lands which were less
densely forested where they could grow their crops. However, they frequently
passed through this area while hunting, as remains of their temporary encampments
testify. The Indians who hunted in this area were members of the Delaware
With the exception of a few explorers and missionaries, white men did
not come to Potter County until after it, and neighboring counties, were
purchased from the Indians in 1784.
Originally, the landowners were wealthy men who lived elsewhere and
large land companies. An agent for lands in Potter County who did much
for the development of the county was John Keating, for whom Keating was
named. Later, Mr. Keating purchased lands from William Bingham, for whom
Bingham was named, and employed Francis King to explore the region and
plan townships and towns. Roulette was named for one of Mr. Keating’s partners,
John S. Roulet.
In 1804, the country was created by the state legislature and was named
in honor of General James Potter, an Irish-born commander who served under
Washington during the Revolution.
Settlement of the county began soon after this. William Ayers is considered
the first settler in the county and Major Isaac Lyman who built one of
the first roads was the second. Many of the present citizens of the county
are descendants from Major Lyman. Another famous settler was John Peet
who came to the county in 1811.
But prior to this, towns had been surveyed and named, Shinglehouse takes
its name from a house built of shingles by M. Generet, a Frenchman, in
1806. Coudersport was surveyed in 1807 and was named in honor of John Coudere,
head of the financial backers of John Keating.
It is difficult to understand in these days the trials and hardships
which the early settlers were forced to endure. The woods were dense and
not easily cleared for farming. The sources of supply of food and other
necessities were far distant, the distance made difficult by the lack of
transportation. Little by little, roads were built, then occasional bridges,
grist mills, sawmills, tanneries and other industries were eventually,
and slowly, brought to the area, making unnecessary the arduous supply
trips through the forest to more settled areas.
The panther, the wolf, the bear and the violence of frozen winters were
a constant menace to the early settlers, of whom there were 186 by 1820.
But the pioneers were a hardy lot and gradually won their battles against
Today Potter County makes a comfortable home in which the beautiful
forests and rolling farms are man made, a triumph over the devastation
which was wrought by the lumbering business.
The logging industry was for a number of years the main source of revenue
of the county. First the white pine was cut and sent down the rivers to
distant sawmills. Then sawmills were built within the county. Perhaps the
first sawmill was built about 1815. Francis King and Major Lyman also were
interested in the lumbar business.
After 1880, the pine timber had been almost exhausted. Some cherry had
been cut also, especially by A.G. Lyman of Sweden Valley who specialized
in cherry lumber. But in 1873 there had begun to be a market for hemlock
bark. This became a thriving business, the bark being used in the tannery
industry. Tanneries were built in several locations within the county.
The one at Coudersport was built in 1880 and it is still in operation today.
For the builder William Gale the town of Galeton was named.
Among the many noteworthy settlements of the county was that by a group
of Seventh Day Baptists who began settling in Hebron Township in 1831.
German immigrants, seeking freedom in the new world, first settled in Roulette
and later a group of them came to Sweden Hill. It was later that Germania
was founded by many Germans who were refugees from the European war of
1848. In about 1842, Martin Moran came to Potter County. He founded the
Irish Settlement in Genesee Township. This settlement had what was probably
the first church to be built in the county. Ole Bull, the famous violinist,
tried valiantly to found a settlement of Norwegians in the county. However,
sadly enough, it was a failure, due to the fact that the Norwegians did
not seem to have the necessary physical stamina and also Ole Bull was the
victim of a land swindle, losing tens of thousands of dollars on his venture.
During the years, Potter County grew, her industries became large and
profitable. Railroads and highways were built and her citizens took an
active part in National affairs. During the Civil War, the primary sentiment
of the county was anti-slavery and the underground railroad functioned
in the area. Potter County’s young men have gone ardently to the defense
of their county in every war, including World War II.
Churches and schools have been built and improved through the years,
giving the county necessary cultural advantages. An unusually large number
of residents of the county are Masons. It is one of the smallest districts
in which the number of Masons is sufficient to be qualified to have a Consistory.
Coudersport Lodge of perfection was established July 17, 1896, and the
first meeting was held December 8, 1896.
Today Potter County stands as a monument to her early settlers, to the
contributors to her history, the men who planted new forests and reclaimed
the wasted land, and who, with ingenuity and ambition, made the region
important in the oil and gas industry, in farming and in dairying and potato
growing. The editors wish to express thanks to all the residents of Potter
County who have helped makethisbook possible.
Brief Biographies of
Many of the Prominent Residents of Potter County
written in 1946
- WRAYBURN B. HALL, active for many years in farming, lumbering,
and the natural gas industry, was born October 19, 1887, at Ellisburg,
son of Horace H. and Sarah J. Hall. Mr. Hall’s parents were both descendants
of early colonial families which were active in the settlement and
development of Potter County. Mr. Hall was educated in the public
schools of the county and was graduated from Elmira Free Academy of
Elmira, New York. He was active for several years in road construction
for the Pennsylvania Department of Highways. He served overseas for
one year with the AEF, K Company, 312 Infantry. Mr. Hall is Past Thrice
Potent Master, Coudersport Lodge of Perfection A.A.S.R. He is a 32nd
Degree Mason, Secretary-Treasurer of the Coudersport Association Relief
Fund and a member of I.O.O.F. He was elected to the House of Representatives
in 1936 and was re-elected in 1938, 1940, 1942, and 1944. He is a
member of Park Methodist Church. He married Edith M. Webster, daughter
of Josiah and Cemantha (Chapman) Webster. Mrs. Hall is a descendant
of Governor John Webster of Connecticut.
- MINNIE C. (TICE) EDGCOMB was born July 19, 1873, in Coudersport,
daughter of Henry M. and Julia A. (Bishop) Tice. Her father came to
Galeton in 1874 where he owned and conducted the first general store
in Galeton until his death in 1899. He was a Civil War veteran and
was also the first postmaster in Galeton. Mrs. Edgcomb received her
early education in Galeton schools and was dietitian at the Y.W.C.A.
in Rochester, New York form 1921 to 1931 when she returned to Galeton
to make her home. She is a member of the Brick Presbyterian Church
in Rochester. She has been production chairman of the American Red
Cross in Galeton since 1940. She is a charter member of the Business
and Professional Women’s Club and of the Women’s Civic Club. She married,
February 28, 1895, Ralph C. Edgcomb of Galeton, the son of J. Osgood
and Saphronia (Conable) Edgcomb. Mr. And Mrs. Ralph Edgcomb, after
their marriage, went to Moscow, Idaho, where they settled on government
timber land. They built a log cabin in which they lived for six years,
after which they returned to Galeton and entered the hotel business.
Mr. Edgcomb was proprietor of the Edgcomb Hotel until his death in
1918. Mrs. Edgcomb’s hobby is collecting antiques.
- FLORENCE (FLESCHUTZ) DIETERICH, optometrist of Coudersport,
was born October 28, 1900, daughter of Herman D. and Henrietta (Zimmerman)
Fleshutz of Coudersport. Mrs. Deiterich graduated from Coudersport
High School and from the University of Rochester where she studied
optometry. She received her practical training in Philadelphia and
is licensed to practice in both Pennsylvania and New York. She is
an active member of Christ Episcopal Church, a Past Matron of Eulalia
Chapter Number 148 O.E.S., and she was District Deputy Grand Matron
District Number 12 in 1941 and 1942. She married, August 28, 1938,
William H. Dieterich, who is a lay reader in Christ Episcopal Church.
They have one daughter, Florence Henrietta, age 6. Dr. Deiterich’s
hobbies are hooking rugs and making pies.
- FLOYD EDWARD ABSON, born July 5, 1877, in Coudersport, son
of William H. and Hattie (Smith) Abson. He attended the Old Academy
on the Hill with Miss Jenny White as his first teacher. He graduated
from Mansfield State Teachers College in 1897 and for four years taught
in Potter County township schools. He was then bookkeeper for Diffenbacher
Mill in Galeton and was later employed by Gates Bros. In 1909, he
went to Coudersport as clerk in the Post Office. He later became Assistant
Postmaster, which position he will hold until June 3, 1947, at which
time he plans to retire. He is a member of Park Methodist Church,
a member and a Past Master of Eulalia Lodge Number 342, F. & A.M.,
32nd degree, Coudersport Consistory, A.A.S.R. He has always
been active in church and Boy Scout work. He married July 18, 1899,
Rosa Guy of Port Allegany, Pa. Mrs. Abson taught school in Sweden
Valley prior to her marriage. She is a member of Park Methodist Church,
New Century Club of which she was president for three years, and is
active in civic work. She received an invitation 1938 to represent
the Women’s Committee of the Pennsylvania Constitution Commemoration
Committee to honor the Constitution of the United States and to celebrate
the 150th anniversary of its ratification in Philadelphia.
Children: (1) Florence (Abson) Geigle of Coudersport, born June 15,
1900, a graduate of Rochester Business Institute. She has one daughter,
Joan; (2) Josephine (Abson) Handley of Steelton, Pa., born February
21, 1903, who is a graduate of Syracuse University, having majored
in music and art. She has four daughters, Rosanna, Patricia, Kathleen
and Frances; (3) Guy William of Aliquippa, born November 19, 1905,
who is a graduate of State College. He has one daughter, Nancy Jane;
(4) Gerald P., born May 6, 1908, died July 13, 1910. Mr. Abson’s hobbies
are camping, hunting, fishing and golf.
- HERBERT R. BARTOO was born on a farm near Mills, August
5, 1890, the eighth son of Henry S. and Clara (Grover) Bartoo. His
paternal grandparents, William and Maria (Knight) Bartoo, settled
in Pennsylvania woods in pioneer days. His maternal grandparents,
Marcus H. and Martha (Wilbur) Grover were pioneers in Bingham Township.
Mr. Bartoo graduated from Harrison Valley High School in 1910, took
a course in teachers’ training at Grove City College and taught school
for eight terms. On January 2, 1919, he was appointed rural mail carrier
at Harrison Valley and has held that position continuously since that
date. He is a member of the Federated Church and of the Grange. He
is president of the Mills Cemetery Association and of the Harrison
Valley Public Library. He is one of a family of twelve children, nine
of whom taught school. He married, first, July 2, 1911, Esther Hendrickson,
daughter of Charles and Mary (Cady) Hendrickson. Children: (1) Raymond,
of Pittsburgh, who married Norma Butler. They have four children.
(2) Ronald, a veteran of World War II and now a student at Yale University,
who married Mary Johnson. (3) Donald, a veteran of World War II now
attending Mansfield State Teachers College. Mr. Bartoo married, second,
Verna (Tapp) Blackman, daughter of John and Ella (Baker) Tapp, October
10, 1942. Mr. Bartoo’s hobbies are raising flowers, gardening, wood
carving and genealogy.
- ALBERT G. REESE, dentist of Coudersport, was born in Coudersport
July 8, 1900, the son of Dr. Francis G. Reese and Katherine (Hodskin)
Reese. (See par. 129). He graduated from Coudersport High School and
from the University of Pennsylvania in 1926. He has been practicing
in Coudersport for twenty years. He married June 16, 1927, Margarete
Lois Elliott, daughter of Berton B. and Annie Elliott. Dr. Reese is
a member of the American Dental Association and he is a 33rd
- FANNY (GOETZ) HUG was born in Wurttemberg, Germany, April
7, 1861, the daughter of Wilhelm and Hedwig Goetz. She came to America
in 1880 and settled in Germania. She is a member of the Roman Catholic
Church. She married September 18, 1881, Joseph Hug of Germania, the
son of John Jacob and Frederica (Becher) Hug. John settled in Potter
County in 1861, having come here from Germany. He was proprietor of
the first undertaking establishment and furniture store in Germania.
Joseph was a carpenter in Germania. Children: (1) Hettie (Hug) Hoschna,
of Germania and New York, N.Y. She married October 9, 1903, Karl Hoschna,
famous composer of Madam Sherry, Girl of My Dreams, Three Twins,
Dr. DeLuxe, The Chaperons and other music. He died December 23,
1911. They had two daughters: Frances Anna, of Arlington, Virginia,
who is a musician and a member of American Guild of Organists; and
Anna (Hoschna) Bittenbender, also of Arlington, who has two children,
Karl Claude and Joanne Marie. (2) John J., of New York. (3) Harry
M., of Phoenix, Arizona. (4) Roy, of Baltimore, Maryland, who has
six children, Mary Frances, Vincent Gordon, Joseph, Anna Theresa,
Rita and Doris. Mrs. Hug’s hobby is gardening.
- ALMERON TAGGART NELSON, son of Almeron and Elizabeth Ann
(Taggart) Nelson, was born April 25, 1874, on the farm where he now
lives. His farm, located near Coudersport, was settled by his grandfather
in 1820. Mr. Nelson has been a farmer for many years. He was a mail
carrier for thirty-four years and was county auditor from 1912 until
1916. He attends the Methodist Episcopal Church and is a member of
the Central Grange. He married June 29, 1898, Viola L. McLaughlin,
daughter of D.W. and Martha Ellen (Graham) McLaughlin. She is a member
of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Grange, the W.C.T.U., the S.H.G.
and other civic clubs. Children: (1) Margaret E. (Nelson) St. Clair,
of Buffalo, New York, who attended Westbrook Business School. (2)
Myrtle Irene (Nelson) Kerchner, who attended Westbrook Academy. She
has one son, Rodney. (3) Milton Almeron Nelson, of Eldred. He has
two children, Patricia Ann and Maxine E. (4) Marlin T. Nelson of Buffalo,
New York. He has two sons, Allen Taggart and David Ford. (5) Mildred
M. (Nelson) Fisher. (See par. 137). Mr. Nelson’s hobbies are playing
pinochle and gardening.
- ELLA B. (KINNEY) KNIGHT, owner of the Hotel Crittenden in
Coudersport, was born in Warren County, daughter of Edward and Evelyn
(Crull) Kinney. She married, September 11, 1901, Harry N. Knight who
came to Coudersport in 1902 when he purchased the Crittenden which
he operated until 1907. For a number of years he was in the hotel
business in Rochester, new York and for eighteen years he was manager
of the Rochester Business Men’s Club. Mr. Knight was a member of Coudersport
Consistory and other bodies of Masonary. He attended Christ Episcopal
Church. He died June 6, 1940. Mrs. Knight is a member of the Golf
Club. She attends Christ Episcopal Church.
- PHILIP A. MEINE, President of the First National Bank of
Galeton and bookkeeper at Sunnydale Farms Inc., was born February
7, 1868, in Germania, the son of Dr. Charles Meine and Mary (Sandbach)
Meine. Dr. Meine studied medicine in Germany, coming to this country
in 1853 and to Germania in 1855. He built the first cabin in Germania.
He graduated from medical school at the University of Buffalo in 1870
and practiced medicine in Germania until the time of his death in
1915. Philip A. graduated from Mansfield State Normal School in 1886.
He was a member of the school board in Galeton for more than thirty
years, which position he resigned when he became County Commissioner.
He is a member and trustee of the First Presbyterian Church. He was
superintendent of CCC Camp Number 88 of Lyman Run from 1933 to 1940.
He is a member of the Rotary Club, of Galeton Lodge Number 602 F.&A.M.,
of Coudersport Consistory and of Shrine Ismalia in Buffalo, New York.
He married, May 6, 1897, Elizabeth Schillinger of East Mauch Chunk,
Pa., the daughter of Nicholas and Katherine (Pfeiderer) Schillinger.
She is a member of the First Presbyterian Church and of Galeton Chapter,
O.E.S. They have two daughters: (1) Grace (Meine) Lush, of Galeton,
who has one son, Stanley Gale. (2) Margaret (Meine) Braun, of Yonkers,
New York, where she teaches school. Mr. Meine is the owner of the
Ole Bull Bible, printed in 1686 and bound in 1694. It is sixteen
inches long, twelve inches wide and six inches thick. Ole Bull gave
it to the colonists at Oleona and it was given to Dr. Meine by Henry
Andresen who had been Ole Bull’s secretary. Mr. Meine’s hobbies have
been hunting and fishing
- BYRON L. LANGWORTHY, insurance and real estate agent of
Shinglehouse, was born October 11, 1874, in Portville, New York, the
son of byron A. and Cornelia (North) Langworthy. At the age of sixteen,
he graduated from Westbrook Commercial College at Olean, New York.
Mr. Langworthy came to Shinglehouse in 1909 where he established the
Langworthy Insurance Agency and Real Estate. He was mayor of Shinglehouse
from 1938 to 1946. He is a member and a trustee of the First Methodist
Church, a member of Sharon Lodge Number 598 F.&A.M. and Coudersport
Consistory. He has been manager of the Automobile Club for twenty-four
years and has held the office of either president or treasurer for
twenty-five years. Mr. Langworthy is interested in all civic projects
and was instrumental in obtaining the borough’s ownership of the water
company. He married, August 28, 1896, Myrta Davie of Little Genesee,
New York, the daughter of Royal and Lucinda (Slade) Davie. Mrs. Langworthy
is a member of the First Methodist Church and is a member and Past
Matron of Eureka Chapter Number 52, O.E.S. Children: (1) Ruth (Langworthy)
Barber Stoddard of Santa Monica, California, who has four children,
Rowland O. Barber, R. Philip Barber, Patricia (Barber) Lax, and Nelia
R. Barber. (2) Merton L., of New Rochelle, New York, a graduate of
Carnegie Tech. He has five children, Eleanor, James H., Marilyn, Eugene
and Elise. (3) Doris (Langworthy) Mason, of Saugerties, New York,
who has one daughter, Virginia. (4) Byron R. of Palestine, Illinois,
a graduate of Pennsylvania State College. He has two children, Gail
and Hugh. Mr. Langworthy’s hobbies are woodworking, gardening and
working to obtain improved roads
- SHEIL BOND SAWYER, inheritance tax appraiser, was born June
14, 1880, in Keating Township, McKean County, Pa., the son of Harley
Theodore and Laura (Bond) Sawyer. He received his education in the
district school and Smithport High School. He had twenty-four years’
service as brakeman on the BZ&K Railroad, brakeman and conductor
on the B&S Railroad and conductor on the Sante Fe Railroad. He
was superintendent on the C&PA Railroad for four and one-half
years. He was sheriff from 1928 to 1932, superintendent of Potter
County Home and Farm from 1932 to 1936 and sheriff again, from 1936
to 1940. He is a member of the Episcopal Church. He is also a member
of the Board of Directors of the C&PA Railroad, a member of Galeton
Lodge Number 602 F.&A.M., Knights Templar, Coudersport Consistory
and Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen. He married, July 31, 1916, Adeline
Wrooman of Canisteo, New York, daughter of Theodore and Elizabeth
(Hallett) Wrooman. She graduated from Canisteo High School and teachers’
training class. She is a member of the Episcopal Church, Order of
Eastern Star and Ladies Auxiliary of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen.
They have one son, Harley Theodore, a student at Mansfield State Teachers
College and a veteran of World War II.
- MARK R. WHITE, mortician in Galeton, was born February 21,
1908, in Galeton, the son of Earl and Jennie C. (Wilhelm) White. Earl
was a mortician in Galeton from 1898 until his death in 1944. Mark
R. graduated from Mansfield State Teachers College in 1930 and attended
the University of Rochester. He was an instructor in Galeton High
School from 1930 until 1933, after which time he became associated
in business with his father. Mr. White is president of Tioga and Potter
Counties Funeral Directors’ Association and is a member of the National
Funeral Directors’ Association. He is a member of the Rotary Club,
Chamber of Commerce, Knights of Pythias, Corral Canyon Riding Club
at Wellsboro and of Galeton Lodge Number 602 F.&A.M. He attends
the Methodist Church. He married, December 19, 1931, Edith Coates
of Rochester, New York. She was born September 3, 1908, the daughter
of George E. and Belle (Tice) Coates. Her grandfather, Henry M. Tice,
owned and operated the first general store in Galeton and was the
first Postmaster. She is a graduate of Rochester Business Institute.
Mrs. White is a member of the Methodist Church, of Galeton Chapter
Number 53 O.E.S. and of the Business and Professional Women’s Club.
They have one son, Mark Richard, born May 14, 1937. He is a student
in the fourth grade in Galeton schools. Mr. White’s hobbies are horses
and antiques. Mrs. White is also a collector of antiques.
- CORA ELIZABETH RENNELLS, a teacher in the Coudersport schools
where she has been teaching for almost a half century, was born in
Coudersport February 9, 1878, daughter of William Cyrenus and Ella
(Strait) Rennells. Miss Rennells lives in the house in which she was
born. Her paternal grandfather, Benjamin F. Rennells, was one of the
pioneers of Coudersport. Her maternal grandfather, major Isaac Strait,
was the first Prothonotary of Potter County. She is a descendant of
several Mayflower lines, among them, John and Priscilla Alden, William
Brewster, John Howland and John Tilly. Miss Rennells is interested
in genealogy and has traced her ancestry back to 1080 A.D. as recorded
in the Doomsday Book of England. She is a member of Park Methodist
Church, and is a charter member of Allegewi Chapter of Daughters of
the American Revolution, in which she has been an officer since that
chapter’s organization in 1912. She is a member of educational associations
and of national, state, and local social clubs. While her principal
interests center around her professional work, she is also interested
in art and needlework.
- COLETTA D. (DUNN) PATTERSON, Postmaster of Coudersport,
was born in Startwell, January 14, 1889, the daughter of John and
Susan (Patterson) Dunn. She graduated from Coudersport High School
and from Bryant Stratton Business College in Buffalo, New York. On
September 27, 1916, she married Perry Smith Patterson, a lawyer. He
was a member of the law firm Shepherd, McCormick, Thomason, Kirkland
and Patterson of Chicago, Illinois. He died July 7, 1926. Children:
(1) Perry Smith Patterson, an attorney in Chicago. He is a graduate
of Georgetown University and of Northwestern University where he studied
law. He was a lieutenant in the U.S. Army during World War II. He
married Carolyn Falconer Groves. They have two children, Perry Smith
Patterson III and Caitilin Groves Patterson. (2) Susanne Maria (Patterson)
Kemper III. Mrs. Patterson is a member of St. Eulalia Catholic Church.
- EUGENIA CELINA (BENSON) PERRY was born in Coudersport, February
3, 1886, daughter of James B. Benson and Katharine Jane (Hodskin)
Benson Reese. (See par. 129). Mrs. Perry is a member of Christ Episcopal
Church, of Allegewi Chapter of D.A.R., of Daughters of American Colonists,
of the New Century Club and of the Historical Society. She married,
January 5, 1909, Lytle F. Perry, the son of David E.S. and Maude (Townley)
Perry. David Perry was a Protestant Episcopal clergyman. Lytle Perry
was educated at Allegheny College and, after studying law, was admitted
to the Bar in June 1911. For several years, he practiced law in Potter
County and then moved to Erie where he practiced law until his death,
November 30, 1927. He established the Erie County Law Journal and
remained its sole proprietor during his lifetime. He was a member
of the Episcopal Church and was a 32nd degree Mason. Children:
(1) Katharine Maude, of Coudersport, a graduate of Erie Academy High
School and of Sweet Briar College. She did graduate work at Western
Reserve University. She did social welfare work before her marriage.
She married Herbert Allen Dorfeld of Coudersport. They have one son,
William Gurney. (2) David E.T., of Coudersport, a graduate of Pennsylvania
State College. He studied law at the University of Michigan. He married
Katherine Daugherty. They have two children, Franklin Lytle and Patricia
Ayleen. (3) Frances Eugenia, of Coudersport, who attended Dickinson
Junior College and graduated from Miss Wheaton’s Business School.
She married James Harris Seymour. Mrs. Perry’s hobby is her garden.
- JOHN FRANKLIN GREEN, born July 25, 1875 in Foxburg, Pa.,
son of John H. and Rosa Bell (Drake) Green, has been for years in
the oil business in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia.
He is a member of the Baptist Church, of Coudersport Consistory, of
Jaffa Shrine at Altoona, of Maccabee Lodge K.O.T.M. He was the first
Patron of Eureka Chapter Number 52 O.E.S. and has been secretary of
the Sharon Lodge number 598 F.&A.M. for forty-one years. He married,
October 6, 1898, Lena McDivitt of Eldred, daughter of D.B. and Alice
(Davis) McDivitt. Mrs. Green is a member of the Baptist Church and
is a member and Past Matron of Eureka Chapter. Mrs. Green has traveled
extensively in the United States and Canada. Children: (1) Lawrence
Evelyn, of Trinidad, BWI. He married Virginia Pratt of Pasadena, California.
They have two daughters, Terence Anne and Lauren Evelyn. (2) Muriel
(Green) Dennison, of Owosso, Michigan. She married Rev. R.R. Dennison
of Warren, Ohio. They have two children, Emily and Robert Russell,
Jr. (3) John Franklin William, of Shinglehouse, a veteran of World
War II, having had four years’ service as a lieutenant in the AAF.
Mr. Green’s hobbies are gardening and growing flowers.
- LOUIS G. STOCUM, Commissioner of Potter County, was born
in Addison, New York, May 8, 1878, the son of Lewis and Mary (Godfrey)
Stocum. He graduated from Peddie Institute, Heightstown, New Jersey.
At one time, Mr. Stocum owned and operated the Joerg Drug Store in
Coudersport and later was a partner in the M.S. Thompson Drug Company.
He was assistant postmaster for four years and spent five years in
Northwest Canada operating a farm and store. He is a member of the
Odd Fellows Lodge, the Moose Lodge, and is a 32nd degree
Mason, Coudersport Consistory. He married, September 27, 1900, Marion
Thompson of Coudersport, the daughter of M.S. and Cora (Mann) Thompson.
Children: (1) Mary (Stocum) Britton, of Coudersport, who has two children,
Louis H. and Marylyn. (2) Kathryn (Stocum) Feaster, of Ephrata, Pa.,
who has one daughter, Nan Carolyn. (3) Donald G., of Coudersport,
a major in the U.S. Army Air Corps in World War II. He flew the Bl17
Flying Fortresses and saw service in France and Northern Africa. He
received the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Air Medal, several Oak
Leaf Clusters and the Purple Heart. He has a son, Ronald Lee. (4)
Jean Ann (Stocum) Zimmerman, of Coudersport, who has one son, Donald
Warren Zimmerman. Mr. Stocum’s hobby is fishing.
- HARRY E. CANE was born September 9, 1872 in Cradley, England,
son of Richard and Hanna (Kings) Cane. He came to the United States
in 1893. For a number of years he was private secretary to actor Henry
F. Daley. Mr. Cane was on the legitimate stage in 1893 with the New
York City Academy of Music. In 1899 he went to Yonkers, New York with
the Silver Truss Company. Mr. Cane came to Coudersport in 1911 and
entered the theater business, in the old rink, with Mr. Lloyd whose
interest he later purchased. Mr. Cane bought the old Opera House on
Main Street in 1916. This he sold in 1928. He is still associated
with the theater. Mr. Cane is active in civic projects and sports.
At one time he was President of the Allegany Baseball League. He is
a 32nd degree Mason and a member of Christ Episcopal Church.
In 1899 he married Rose Johnson. She died in 1903. They had one son,
Charles Edward, born October 18, 1900, who is a graduate of the University
of Pennsylvania and is a resident of Chatham, New Jersey. He has two
children, Janet and Charles, Jr. Mr. Cane married, second, Margaret
C. Johnson in 1905. She died in 1932. They had two sons, Ernest Rolan,
of New York City, born January 7, 1913, and Harry George, born September
23, 1915. Both are graduates of the University of Pennsylvania, and
the latter is a veteran of World War II, having served in the Naval
Air Service. Mr. Cane married, third, Leala Virginia Sowell of Savannah,
Georgia, on May 27, 1934. They have one son, William Parker, born
January 30, 1940.
- VICTOR E. JOHNSON, chiropractor in Galeton, was born in
Addison, New York, February 15, 1903, the son of Edgar R. and Kathryn
(Orr) Johnson. He is a graduate of Galeton High School and of Palmer
School of Chiropractic Science. He practiced his profession in Galeton
for one year before going to Hornell, New York, in 1926 where he practiced
until 1930 when he returned to Galeton. He is a member of Delta Sigma
Chi, the Moose Lodge and the Chamber of Commerce. He is a member of
the Methodist Church. He married, December 1, 1928, Jennie Schramm,
daughter of Bartley and Nettie Schramm. She is a member of the Presbyterian
Church. Mr. Johnson’s hobby is gardening.
- WILLIAM FREDERICK DUBOIS, attorney and president of the
First National Bank in Coudersport, was born in Geneseo, Livingston
County, New York, on March 24, 1860, to Edward and Mary (Sheridan)
Dubois. In 1877, Mr. Dubois became associated with a government surveying
party and went to Florida where he was engaged for two years in the
inspection of orange groves. He than spent a year as foreman of an
orange grove. He returned North and re-entered the District School
where he had been enrolled previous to his departure for Florida.
He began teaching in this school in 1881. In 1883 he taught in the
schools of Livonia, New York, after which he entered Geneseo Normal
School. He graduated in 1887 and taught at Rushville, New York, until
1889. Mr. Dubois came to Coudersport in 1890 as Supervisor and Principal
of the Coudersport High School. He resigned from this position in
1898 and began the study of law. He was admitted to the bar in 1899
and has practiced law in Coudersport continuously since that date.
He is an active member of the First Presbyterian Church, a member
of all the bodies of Masonry, including Ancient and Accepted Scottish
Rite, Coudersport Consistory. He was at one time President of the
CP&A Railroad. He was a member of Coudersport School Board for
thirty-five years. He married, December 26, 1894, Nellie Olmstead,
daughter of Honorable A.G. and Ellen (Ross) Olmstead. Hon. Olmstead
was at that time Potter County Judge. Mrs. Dubois died November 1,
1942. Mr. And Mrs. Dubois had one son, Arthur W. of Coudersport, owner
of the Coudersport Insurance Company. Arthur W. is a graduate of Lehigh
University. He married Helen Welfing. They have one son, Arthur F.,
born June 7, 1926. Arthur F. is a veteran of World War II. He plans
to attend Lehigh University.
- DONALD LEE MOODY, pastor of the First Methodist Church in
Shinglehouse, was born February 8, 1914, on the farm of H. E. Harriman
at Harriman, New York, the son of G. Harold and Millie (Krum) Moody.
His father was a foreman on the Harriman estate. Rev. Moody graduated
from Canton High School in 1932 and from Mansfield State Teachers
College in 1939. He attended Drew University at Madison, New Jersey
in 1940 and graduated from Colgate-Rochester Divinity School in 1944.
He was ordained Elder at Buffalo, New York in 1944 by Bishop Richardson.
He served Methodist pulpits in the following locations: Mainsburg;
Tioga; Covington; Scottsburg, N.Y., Conesus, N.Y., West Sparta, N.Y.
and Websters Crossing, N.Y. He came to Shinglehouse June 8, 1944.
He is also pastor at Ceres, N.Y. He is a member of the Genesee Conference.
He married, December 22, 1939, Hazel Jackson of Mansfield. She attended
Mansfield State Teachers College. They have two daughters, Priscilla
Anne, born January 13, 1941, and Purdence Jean, born January 13, 1945.
Rev. Moody has been active in Boy Scout work since 1927, first as
a Boy Scout and later as a Scout Master. He is now Scout Master of
Troop Number 57 at Shinglehouse. He is also serving as chairman of
the Potter county District Leadership Training Committee. His hobbies
are woodworking, forestry and nature study.
- MARGARET (McGINNIS) CHAPPELL was born December 1, 1865,
in the state of New York, the daughter of Bryan and Ellen (Moran)
McGinnis. The family moved to Potter County where Mr. McGinnis was
prominent in the Democratic Party. He served as county commissioner
for several years. Mrs. Chappell was the only teacher in Genesee from
1885 to 1887. She married, November 13, 1887, John Chappell of Ulysses.
He died April 11, 1911. Mrs. Chappell was assistant editor of the
Ulysses Sentinel for several years, assistant cashier of the Grange
National Bank for several years, state press superintendent of the
W.C.T.U. of Pennsylvania for nine years, secretary of the Board of
Education in Ulysses for eighteen years during nine years of which
she was also president of the Board. She has been president of Potter
County School Directors’ Association. Mrs. Chappell has 3540 volunteer
hours to her credit selling War Bonds and Stamps in Pittsburgh during
World War II. She also sold bonds during the first World War. She
is a member of the Sacred Heart Church. She has four brothers: James
A. McGinnis, of Fort Worth, Texas; Bernard B. McGinnis, of Pittsburgh,
a State Senator; Connel M. McGinnis, of Wellsville, New York, and
Genesee; and Clair E. McGinnis, of Pittsburgh, a former member of
the State Legislature.
- FRANK W. REYNOLDS, President of the First National Bank
of Genesee, was born in Millport, on May 25, 1886, the son of Lamont
D. and Hattie (Eastman) Reynolds. Mr. Reynolds has been a banker in
Genesee since he was twenty years of age and has been president of
the First National Bank since 1932. He is a member of Lewisville Lodge
Number 556 F.&A.M., Ulysses Chapter, Potter Commandery and Coudersport
Consistory. He attends the Methodist Church. He married, September
16, 1916, Ruth Madeline Clark of Ulysses, daughter of Arnold and Ina
Clark. She is a member of the Methodist church, and Ulysses Chapter
Number 95 O.E.S. Mr. And Mrs. Reynolds have one daughter, Joyce Marie,
a senior in Oberlin Conservatory of Music at Oberlin, Ohio.
- SEWARD WELLS DAILY, merchant, farmer and potato grower of
Genesee, was born October 27, 1910 in Genesee, son of Edward P. and
Emily (Sluyter) Daily. He was graduated from Genesee High School and
he attended Staunton Military Academy in Virginia and Pennsylvania
State College. After college, Mr. Daily took over his father’s business
and re-named it the Genesee Milling Company. He became a partner in
Daily and Palmatier Garage in 1945. He has been a farmer specializing
in potato growing since 1937. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, Lewisville Lodge Number 556 F.&.A.M. and Coudersport Consistory.
He is treasurer of the School Board and is active in civic affairs
of the community. He married, October 28, 1933, Gertrude Card, of
Roulette, daughter of Dorman L. and Mary (Carey) Card. Mrs. Daily
was graduated from Mansfield State Teachers College and she taught
school in Genesee for three years prior to her marriage. She is a
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and of Ulysses Chapter Number
95 O.E.S. Children: (1) Donald Edward, born January 24, 1935. (2)
Joanne Margaret, born May 26, 1937. (3) Seward Russell, born July
- HERMAN CARL MOSCH, a practicing physician and surgeon in
Coudersport, was born in Galeton August 11, 1911, son of Otto Carl
and Mabel (Burrous) Mosch. He was graduated from Galeton High School
and from pre-medical school at Temple University. He received a BS
degree from Mansfield State Teachers College in 1933, his master’s
degree from the University of Buffalo in 1934 and the degree of MD
from Hahnemann Medical College in Philadelphia in 1937. He interned
at Hahnemann College Hospital. He began the practice of medicine in
Coudersport during October of 1938. He is county medical director.
Dr. Mosch is a member of the Presbyterian Church. He is a 32nd
degree Mason, a member of Senior Medical Staff of Potter County
Memorial Hospital, of the American Medical Association and of the
Pennsylvania State Medical Society. He married August 24, 1938, Eleanor
A. Dunn of Philadelphia, the daughter of Dennis D. and Ellen Barry
(Walsh) Dunn. Children: Marilyn, Carolyn Barry, Carl Dennis and Mary
- HOWARD R. SMITH, watchmaker in Coudersport, was born April
14, 1897, in Coudersport, the son of Ellsworth W. and Hattie (Van
Buren) Smith. Ellsworth W. organized Coudersport Consistory Relief
Fund in 1923 and was its secretary-treasurer until 1936. In 1934 he
received the 33rd degree in Masonry. Howard R.’s grandfather,
William Van Buren, a relative of President Van Buren, and at one time
a stagecoach driver (later owner and manager of the Van Buren Hotel),
brought Ole Bull, famous violinist, and his colony to Potter County
in September of 1852. Mr. Smith was graduated from Coudersport High
School and became a watchmaker in 1915. He worked as a watchmaker
until 1929 when he became a salesman of stocks and securities. He
returned to watchmaking in 1944. He is a member of Christ Episcopal
Church, Eulalia Lodge Number 342 F.&A.M., and Coudersport Consistory.
He married, February 21, 1934, Velma Rodgers, of Oil City, the daughter
of Rev. Eugene A. Rodgers and Carrie (Thompson) Rodgers. Mrs. Smith
was graduated from Buffalo City Hospital as a Registered Nurse. She
is a member of Christ Episcopal Church, Order of Eastern Star and
New Century Club. They have one daughter, Marilyn Jean, a student
in grade school in Coudersport. Mr. Smith’s hobby is woodworking.
- ADDIE G. (WOLTERS) BALDWIN, the daughter of Robert R. and
Alice (Raymer) Wolters, was born in Smethport. She is a member of
O.E.S. and of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Austin. She married,
November 14, 1895, Frank E. Baldwin, who was a lawyer, banker and
State Senator. He died August 9, 1943. Mr. Baldwin’s parents, John
E. and Josephine (White) Baldwin were descended from old American
families who settled in New England before the middle of the seventeenth
century. Mr. Baldwin studied at Chamberlain Institute and graduated
from St. Bonaventure College from which he later received the honorary
degree of Doctor of Law. Following his graduation, he taught school
for three years. He graduated from Law School at the University of
Michigan in 1893, after which he practiced law in Austin from 1894
until the time of his death. He was appointed appraiser of McKean
County in 1893. He served in Austin as burgess for two terms, as school
director for five years and as Postmaster for seven years. He was
a State Senator from 1908 to 1932, except for one term. He was President
of the Senate from 1919 to 1921 and Auditor General from 1932 to 1936.
Mr. Baldwin was very active in Masonic affairs including both York
and Scottish Rites and the Consistory. He was a member of the Knights
of Pythias, the I.O.O.F., the Elks, Pennsylvania Society of New York,
Brookland Club and of the Methodist Church. Mrs. Baldwin’s sister,
Frances Kenyon, makes her home in Austin with Mrs. Baldwin.
- CHARLES A. HERRICK was born in Muskegon, Michigan, January
4, 1871, the son of Joseph M. and Melissa Ann (Collins) Herrick, a
pioneer family in newspaper business with four of their sons entering
newspaper work. The family came to Pennsylvania when Charles was two
years old, living first in Cameron County. They came to Potter County
in 1884. Charles A. started in newspaper work in Ceres in 1891. In
1901 he came to Shinglehouse where he was in the newspaper business
for fifty years. In 1941, he turned the business over to his sons,
Collins S. and Joseph N. Mr. Herrick attends the Baptist church and
he has been a member of the school board in Shinglehouse for several
years. He married, first, Bessie Warner, February 11, 1904. She died
August 17, 1906. He married, second, Nora Johnson, October 10, 1907.
Children: (1) Collins S., of Coudersport (see par. 73). (2) Joseph
N., of Shinglehouse. (3) Marie (Herrick) Freer, of Smethport, who
has two sons, John and Ivan. Mr. Herrick’s hobbies are photography,
hunting and fishing.
- JOHN W. MAHALEY, attorney in Coudersport, was born in Hanover,
York County, August 13, 1901, the son of John W., Sr., and Ellen M.
(Fitz) Mahaley. He graduated from Hanover High School in 1919, from
Dickinson College in 1926 with an A.B. degree and from Dickinson School
of Law in 1936, L.L.B. He is a member of the Methodist Church, of
the Bar Association, of the Boy Scouts and of the F.&A.M. He married,
August 24, 1926, Bernice M. Crandall, daughter of Alfred N. and Amarilla
(Horton) Crandall. She is a graduate of Mount Holyoke College. She
is a member of the Methodist church, of the Women’s Club and of W.S.C.S.
They have one son, John Crandall Mahaley, born October 31, 1929.
- MARY LOUSIA (SHELDON) BURT was born December 22, 1878, in
Coudersport, daughter of Walter K. and Louisa (Kortz) Sheldon, one
of the pioneer families of Potter County. Mrs. Burt is a graduate
of Mansfield State Teachers College. She married, February 25, 1901,
Monta C. Burt. He was a teacher and later became president and superintendent
of Gray Chemical Company in Roulette. He was a 32nd degree
Mason. He died November 1, 1934. Children: (1) Agnes Eloise (Burt)
Schutt of Couderpsort, born December 8, 1907, a graduate of Penn Hall
and of Mansfield Teachers College. She has two daughters, Barbara
A. and Janice B. (2) Monta C. Burt, born October 21, 1920, who attended
Mercersburg Academy. He served for more than three years in the U.S.
Army Signal Corps. He is now attending Lafayette College. He married
Valerie Hiller of Westwood, New Jersey. Mrs. Burt is chairman of Potter
County Chapter of the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis
and is a Past Matron of Eulalia Chapter of Eastern Star. She is an
active member of the First Presbyterian Church, of the Golf Club and
of civic clubs.
- GEORGE H. GRABE, funeral director and embalmer in Coudersport,
was born in Austin, May 15, 1910, to Herman Frederick and Verna (Hafner)
Grabe. He graduated from Port Allegany High School in 1928, from Pennsylvania
State College in 1933 and from Cleveland College of Embalming in 1935.
He is a member of the First Presbyterian Church, of Liberty lodge
Number 505 F.&A.M., of Royal Arch Capter Number 263, of Potter
Commandery, of Coudersport Consistory, of Business Men’s Club, of
the Golf Club, of I.O.O.F., of Central Grange, of Rotary Club, of
Chamber of Commerce and of Pennsylvania State University Alumni Association.
He is secretary of Tioga and Potter Counties Funeral Directors Association.
He married, July 2, 1939, Ellen (Toward) Fickenger, who has two sons,
Charles Frederick Fickenger, age 18, and Thomas Edward Fickenger,
age 15. Mr. and Mrs. Grabe have one son, George Herman, born December
9, 1944. Mr. Grabe’s hobbies are golf, hunting and fishing.
- JOHN T. SINON, retired business man, was born in Scio, New
York, November 18, 1869, son of John and Ellen (Welch) Sinon. He married,
September 27, 1900, Mae L. Baldwin, daughter of John E. and Josephine
(White) Baldwin. John Baldwin had one of the first oil farms around
Duke Center. Mrs. Sinon is a sister of Frank E. Baldwin (See par.
18). Mr. and Mrs. Sinon have three children: (1) Josephine L. (Sinon)
Fouratt, of New Brunswick, New Jersey, a graduate of Rutgers University.
She taught English and dramatics in New Brunswick for several years.
(2) Frank Arthur Sinon, an attorney now practicing law at Harrisburg.
He graduated from Pennsylvania State College and Dickinson Law School
and was admitted to the Bar in 1936. He was a lieutenant (sg) in the
U.S. Navy during World War II. He married Dorothy R. James, daughter
of Arthur H. James, former Governor of Pennsylvania. (3) Helen Mae
(Sinon) Wilmarth, of Duke Center, a graduate of Hood College. She
taught for several years in Otto High School in Duke Center. Her husband,
Arthur E. Wilmarth, is principal of Otto High School.
- ROBERT RATHBUN LEWIS, President Judge of the 55th
Judicial District, was born August 1, 1880, in Duke Center, the son
of Willis Irving and Lucretia (Rathbun) Lewis. Willis I. died August
2, 1913 and Lucretia died May 7, 1894. Robert R. was graduated from
Coudersport High School in 1897, from Wilbraham Academy in 1899 and
from Wesleyan University in 1903. He studied law in his father’s law
office in Coudersport and was admitted to the Bar on May 10, 1905.
He was appointed Secretary of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on
May 6, 1929, and appointed President Judge of the 55th
Judicial District May 24, 1930. He was elected President Judge of
the 55th Judicial District in 1931 and re-elected to that
post in 1941. He is a member of the Pennsylvania Bar Association and
of the American Bar Association. He is a member and trustee of Park
Methodist Church. He married, July 17, 1907, Margaret Wrean, of Penn
Yan, New York, daughter of Robert and Ella Virginia (Phillips) Wrean.
Children: (1) Willis Irving, born July 24, 1910. He married, October
25, 1941, Eloise K. Page. They have two children, Eloise Wrean and
Kristi Page. (2) Virginia Wrean, born February 4, 1912. She married
August 15, 1936, Frank M. Thomas. They have one son, Robert Lewis.
(3) Margaret Rathbun, born May 4, 1913. She married, November 21,
1942, Francis S. Clarke.
- EDITH (HASKELL) COLCORD was born March 30, 1862, daughter
of Edwin and Laura (Cannon) Haskell, one of the pioneer families of
Potter County. Mr. Haskell was, for many years, editor and owner of
the Potter county Journal which was later taken over by his son-in-law,
Mahlon J. Colcord. Mr. and Mrs. Colcord were married May 11, 1886.
Mr. Colcord was an attorney. Mrs. Colcord graduated from Lock Haven
State College and taught school or several years in Potter County,
as did her sister, Belle (Haskell) Lewis. (See par. 61). Mrs. Colcord
has four children: (1) David H., of Marengo, Illinois, a graduate
of the University of Michigan. (2) Marion (Colcord) Brauer, a graduate
of Mt. Holyoke College. (3) Alice (Colcord) Shenton of Schenectady,
New York. (4) E. Haskell, of Elgin, Illinois. Mrs. Colcord is a member
of Park Methodist church, of Eulalia Chapter Number 146 O.E.S., of
New Century Club, of Red Cross and of civic organizations.
- DAVID NOAH RUMSEY was born January 5, 1867, at Rumsey Hill,
Sullivan Township, Tioga County, son of Joseph B. and Lucy Ann (Ripley)
Rumsey. He was educated at Rumsey Hill Red School, Canisteo Academy
and Westbrook Commercial School, from which he was graduated in 1886.
He was in the production of gas and oil business at Lima, Ohio, from
August of 1886 to December of 1893; auditor and general freight and
passenger agent of NY&P Railroad from January of 1894 to December
of 1899; Prothonotary of Potter County from January 1, 1900 to January
1, 1903; associated with the First National Bank in Coudersport from
February of 1903 to August of 1904; treasurer of Buffalo Southern
Railroad from August of 1904 to 1908; clerk and treasurer of East
Aurora Village, New York, from April of 1910 to February of 1942;
located in California from November of 1941 to May of 1942; treasurer
of Genesee Chemical Company from April of 1943 to February of 1946.
Mr. Rumsey is now retired from business and is making his home in
Genesee. He is a member of First Presbyterian Church at East Aurora,
Blazing Star Lodge Number 484 F.&A.M., East Aurora Chapter Number
282, Potter Commandery, Number 69 K.T., Couderport Consistory, Ismailia
Temple A.A.O.N.M.S., Aurora Borealis Number 642 I.O.O.F., and East
Aurora Fish and Game Club. He married, June 24, 1891, Anna Sophya
Cross, of Colden, New York, daughter of James B. and Lois Jane (Peabody)
Cross. Mrs. Rumsey is a member of the First Presbyterian Church at
Eas Aurora. They had one daughter, Fay E. (Rumsey) Westlund, born
February 3, 1898, died June 10, 1936. She was graduated from Mount
Ida School in Newton, Massachusetts, June of 1919 and from the University
of Illinois June of 1923. She had one daughter, Lois Jane, of Pasadena,
California. Mr. Rumsey’s hobbies are hunting and fishing.
- ELDON S. BARR, hardware and general store merchant, in Roulette,
was born in Roulette Township on June 15, 1876, the son of Samuel
W. and Beulah (Greene) Barr, early settlers of Potter County. He received
his early education in the Old Red School House and in Roulette School.
At an early age he worked in the woods and sawmills with his father.
In 1900, he went to work for the Elmer Hardware store in Roulette
where he remained until 1904 when, with Milo Lyman and Dorman Card,
he established a hardware store. This store was destroyed by fire
in 1911, but was rebuilt in 1912. Mr. Lyman retired in 1923 and Mr.
Card retired in 1926, leaving Mr. Barr the sole owner. Mr. Barr later
converted his store into a hardware, five-and-ten, and general store,
taking his son, Elvin, into the business as his partner. Mr. Barr
married, December 23, 1903, Adah Tenbroeck, daughter of John and Sylvia
(Fessenden) TenBroeck. They have one son, Elvin J., born November
29, 1906. He is a graduate of Roulette High School and of Bliss Electrical
School, Washington, D.C., and is a veteran of the Navy in World War
II. Elvin J. married Freda L. Lewis of Emporium. They have three children:
Barbara, born June 8, 1934; Robert L., born May 16, 1936; and James
W., born January 12, 1940. Both Mr. and Mrs. Barr are members of the
- JOHN WALTER WELLS, attorney of Coudersport, was born in
Oswayo on November 27, 1869, son of Walter and Sarah (Lyman) Wells.
He was educated at Mansfield Normal School, Alfred University and
Cornell University. He is a member of Phi Delta Phi Fraternity. He
has been a member of the Potter County Bar since December 3, 1891,
and he is a director of the Empire Gas and Fuel Company and of the
C&PA Railroad Company. He was elected to the Pennsylvania House
of Representatives for the sessions of 1897, 1921, 1923, 1925, 1927
and 1929. He is a member of Christ Protestant Episcopal Church, of
Eulalia Lodge Number 342 F.&A.M., Coudersport Royal Arch Chapter,
potter Commandery and Coudersport Consistory. He married, September
26, 1893, Eloise Stebbins. Children: (1) Lucile M., married Howard
Neefe Schutt. (See par. 114). (2) Katharine Mary, married Henry Hollingsworth
Michael Pett. (3) Walter Pierre. (See par. 111).
- JAMES STANLEY BERGER, attorney in Coudersport and State
Senator from the 25th Senatorial District, was born January
3, 1903, at Warren, the son of Clare A. and Harriett M. (Stanley)
Berger. He received his education in Kenyon College and Dickinson
School of Law. He married Georgiana J. Daniels of Coudersport. They
have two children: James Daniels Berger, born October 31, 1932, and
Jane Daniels Berger, born October 31, 1937. Mr. Berger is a member
of Christ Episcopal Church.
- ROBERT HENRY KAZMIERSKI, physician and surgeon of Coudersport,
was born July 27, 1906, at Pittsburgh. He graduated from Schenley
High School in Pittsburgh, from the University of Pittsburgh in 1927
and from St. Louis School of Medicine in June 1931. His internship
was at the West Penn Hospital in Pittsburgh. He was resident at St.
Joseph’s Hospital in South Bend, Indiana, and at the Presbyterian
Hospital in Pittsburgh. He was captain of the Medical Reserve in 1938.
At the present time, Dr. Kazmierski is chief-of-staff of the Potter
County Memorial Hospital. He is president of the County Medical Society
for the year 1946 and is a member of the Pennsylvania State Medical
Society and of the American Medical Association. His lodge affiliations
are Masonic, Consistory and I.O.O.F. He married, November 11, 1933,
Carolyn E. Henderson, of Oil City, who is a registered nurse and a
graduate of West Penn Hospital. Children: Robert Henry, born October
15, 1938, and Mark Ross, born June 16, 1945. Dr. Kazmierski and family
are members of Park Methodist Church.
- WILLIAM ALBERT SHEAR, the oldest living Mason in Coudersport,
was born December 9, 1858, in Pickering, Canada, the son of William
and Hannah (Hartrick) Shear. The family moved to Coudersport in 1863.
Mr. Shear, senior, was Master Mason in Coudersport in 1865, 1867 and
1870. William Albert was in the mercantile business for many years.
He served as Postmaster for nine years. Mr. Shear is a 32nd
degree Mason and has been a Mason for more than sixty years. He has
held many public offices and has been a promoter of Coudersport and
Potter County. He is a member of the First Presbyterian Church. He
married, first, Elizabeth Haxton, of Meadville, in June of 1886. They
had one daughter, Beatrice (Shear) Curran Bement, of Lawrenceville,
who has two sons, Robert Curran and Duane Curran. Mr. Shear married,
second, Grace Ashley on September 9, 1909. Mrs. Shear is a Past-Matron
of Eulalia Chapter Number 147 O.E.S. She is a member of the First
Presbyterian Church. They have three children: (1) Dorothy H. (Shear)
Mitchell, of Carmi, Illinois. She was graduated from Allegheny College.
(2) Grace L. (Shear) Austin, of Coudersport. She was graduated from
Bloomsburg Teachers College and has taught school for fifteen years.
(3) Thomas R., of Coudersport, a graduate of Lehigh University. He
married Maxine Johnston. They have two sons, William Albert II and
Thomas R. III.
- CLELLA (STEVENS) MICHELFELDER, Potter County president of
the W.C.T.U., was born February 12, 1881, in Harrison Valley, the
daughter of George W. and Zittilla (Goodman) Stevens. She is a sister
of Lena Stevens. (See par. 70). Mrs. Michelfelder is a graduate of
Mansfield State Teachers College and of George Washington University.
She taught school for six years before her marriage on June 22, 1911,
to George Michelfelder, Jr., of Harrison Valley, the son of George
and Chrischanna (Truthan) Michelfelder. Mr. Michelfelder conducted
a clothing store and an insurance business in Harrison Valley for
many years. He died September 26, 1933. Mrs. Michelfelder is a member
of the Baptist Federated Church, the D.A.R. and has been president
of Harrison Valley W.C.TU. for thirty-five years, president of Potter
County W.C.T.U. for fourteen years and recording secretary of Pennsylvania
State W.C.T.U. for four years. She has been active in civic projects,
including chairman of the Women’s Republican Committee, chairman for
many years of Red Cross drives and Red Cross work and she is one of
the leading promoters of the fund for the perpetual care of the Mills
Cemetery. She has taught Sunday School for more than fifty years.
Children: (1) Richard, of Newport News, Virginia, born June 19, 1916,
a veteran with five years’ service in the U.S. Army during World War
II. (2) Ruth (Michelfelder) Parker, of Westfield, born March 29, 1920.
Mr. and Mrs. Michelfelder were two of the leading promoters of the
two succesful dry campaigns conducted in Harrison Township.
- NORMAN CHAPMAN, merchant in Genesee, was born August 14,
1899, on the Chapman farm near Genesee. His father, Guy F. Chapman,
a farmer and merchant, was president of the First National Bank at
the time of his death. He, with Elmer J. Johnston, organized the Genesee
citizens Water Company, one of the best small town water systems in
the state. Mr. Chapman’s mother, Lina (Richmond) Chapman, an accomplished
musician, was organist and choir director of Genesee Methodist Episcopal
Church from 1908 until 1936. She assumed the interest of her husband
in the general store business of G.F. Chapman & Son after his
death, and her activity had much to do with the success of the furniture
department which was opened at that time. Mr. Chapman was graduated
from Genesee High School in 1915, from Wellsville, New York, High
School in 1916, from Mansfield Normal School in 1918 and from Alfred
University SATC in 1918. He was Bugler Sergeant SATC Alfred University.
He is a partner in the department store of Chapman-Burrous in Genesee,
vice-president of Gibson Furniture Company, Inc., in Wellsville and
is owner of Chapman Farm near Genesee, specializing in breeding registered
Holstein-Friesian cattle. He is a member and former trustee of Genesee
Methodist Episcopal Church, president of Seneca Council, Boy Scouts
of America, Olean, New York, since 1938, member and former president
of Wellsville Rotary Club, member of Pennsylvania State Republican
Committee, Past-Master of Lewisville Lodge F.&A.M., Past High
Priest of Ulysses Chapter of Royal Arch Masons, member of Wellsville
Royal Arch Chapter and Coudersport Consistory. He is also secretary-treasurer
of Potter County Holstein Breeders Association, a member of Patrons
of Husbandry, a member of Pennsylvania Grade Crude Oil Association
and director of Potter County Soil Conservation District. He married,
September 6, 1923, Ruth Louise Karns, of Benton. She was graduated
from Wilkes-Barre Institute in 1917 and from Bryn Mawr college in
1921. She taught school in Harrison Valley High School 1921-1922.
She was sales manager of Frontier Press Company in Philadelphia 1922-1923,
during which time she trained organizations in Bethlehem, Pa., Atlantic
City, New Jersey, and Baltimore, Maryland. She took an active interest
in her husband’s store, buying, decorating and selling, from 1932
to 1940. She is past-president and chairman of the Fellowship Committee
of the American Association of University Women, Alfred University
Branch. Children: (1) Coreene Louise, born October 7, 1924. She was
graduated from Genesee High School in 1942 and received her A.B. degree
from Alfred University in 1946. She is now doing graduate work in
art and ceramics at Alfred. (2) Guy Frederick, born December 13, 1930,
a student at Wellsville. Mr. Chapman is interested in Boy Scout activities,
having been a member of the Executive Board Seneca Council since 1938,
finance chairman of Wellsville in 1940, of the Southeast District
in 1941 and of Seneca Council in 1945.
- MARY (COOK) FAULKNER DOANE, a resident of Coudersport for
more than fifty years, was born in Penn Yan, New York, May 18, 1863.
She married, first, Edward Faulkner, of Waverly, New York. He died
in 1888. Children: (1) Louis E. Faulkner, of Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
He has one daughter, Mary Elizabeth (Faulkner) Mapp, who has one son,
Louis Edgar. (2) Ethel (Faulkner) Groves, whose husband, H. Lawrence
Groves, of Coudersport, has been in foreigh service work for the government
form more than twenty-eight years. They are now residing in Greece.
They have one daughter, Carolyn (Groves) Patterson, of Chicago, Illinois,
who has two children, Perry and Caitlin. Mrs. Doane married, second,
George H. Doane on September 24, 1892. Mr. Doane was for many years
a prominent and successful hardware merchant in Coudersport. He died
October 18, 1944. Mrs. Doane is a member of the First Presbyterian
- MORTON H. LILLY, mayor of Coudersport, was born in Coudersport
July 23, 1888, son of Harrison and Elvina (Fickler) Lilly. The Lilly
family has lived in the same block, on which Mayor Lilly now resides,
for nearly one hundred years. He has been the mayor of Couderpsort
for eight years and has also been a vice-president of the Citizens
Safe Deposit and Trust Company and a member of its board of directors
for a number of years. He was in the retail shoe business for thirty
years. He is a member of the First Presbyterian Church and for many
years has been a member of the board of trustees of the church. He
has been a member of Eulalia Lodge Number 342 F.&A.M. for more
than thirty-five years and of Couderpsort Cosnistory for thirty years.
He is a charter member of the Rotary Club and Coudersport Golf Club.
He married, September 26, 1917, Ruth R. Reynolds, of Mainsburg, the
daughter of Lyman L. and Blance (Dewitt) Reynolds. She was a graduate
of Mansfield State Teachers College. She died April 1, 1940. Children:
(1) Morton Reynolds Lilly, a student at Albany Business College at
Albany, New York. He was graduated from Coudersport High School and
served with the 135th Regiment of the 34th "Red
Bull" Division of the U.S. Army during World War II. The 34th
was the first American division to be sent into the European theater
of war in 1942. He received the Bronze Star Medal April 28, 1945.
He married Florence Margaret Powell, of Ogdensburg, New York. (2)
Betty Jean (Lilly) Gross, of Wellsboro, who is a graduate of Coudersport
High School and of Spencer School of Nursing at Meadville. She is
operating-room nurse at Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Memorial Hospital in
- LAWRENCE BUCK, farmer specializing in dairying and potato
growing, was born September 16, 1893, in Ulysses, the son of C.E.
and Charlotte (Cushing) Buck. He is a graduate of Ulysses High School.
He is a director of the Grange National Bank and a school director
of Ulysses. He is a member of the Baptist Church, the Grange, Lewisville
Lodge Number 556 F.&A.M., the County School Board and the Board
of the Northern Tier Children’s Home. He married, April 2, 1917, Mabel
Evans, daughter of Arthur and Rosa (Reed) Evans of Ulysses. She attended
Boston Conservatory of Music. She is a member of the Baptist Church,
the Grange and the Federated Women’s Club. They have nine children:
(1) Lois (Buck) Wilson of Mansfield who graduated from Ulysses High
School and attended Pennsylvania State College. She has one daughter,
Sally Ann. (2) Grace (Buck) Kear of Harrison Valley who graduated
from Ulysses High School and attended Mansfield State Teachers College.
She has one daughter, Kay Frances. (3) Louise (Buck) Miller of Campbell,
New York, who is a graduate of Ulysses High School and of Robert Packer
Hospital of Sayre. She has two children, John and Jane. (4) Jean (Buck)
Howe of Ulysses, a graduate of Ulysses High School and Mansfield State
Teachers College. She has one daughter, Margery Jean. (5) Gladys (Buck)
Angood of Bingham Center, a graduate of Ulysses High School. She has
two children, Donna Joyce and Ronald Arlie. (6) Roger Lawrence of
Ulysses who graduated from Ulysses High School in 1946. (7) Dorothy
Anne, a student in Ulysses High School. (8) Raymond Eugene, a student
in Ulysses High School. (9) Robert Armond, a student in the fifth
grade in Ulysses School. Mrs. Buck’s hobby is music. Mr. Buck’s hobby
is collecting stamps and coins.
- JENNY (DYKEMAN) SELTZ, Postmaster of Galeton, was born in
Cross Fork, September 25, 1878, the daughter of Miles and Ida (Baker)
Dykeman. She received her education in Brooklyn, Pennsylvania, schools
and has been postmaster for the past twelve years. She is a member
of the Episcopal Church and is a Past Worthy Mtron of Galeton Chapter
Number 53, O.E.S. She married, first, December 20, 1898, Albert Stambaugh
of Galeton. He died March 31, 1909. She married, second, January 8,
1911, Henry E. Seltz. Mr. Seltz was in the hardware and furniture
business until the disastrous fire in Galeton in 1916. He then entered
the insurance business which he conducted until the time of his death,
January 5, 1925. Mrs. Seltz has one son, Richard Dykeman Seltz of
Rochester, New York, who has one daughter, Mary Jeanne. Mrs. Seltz’
hobby is collecting stamps.
- JAMES L. HENDERSON was born June 16, 1885, in Oswayo, the
son of Robert and Maria (Carr) Henderson. He was educated in Oswayo
public schools and is a member of the Catholic Church. He is associated
with Pittsburgh Corning Glass Company. He married, January 18, 1912,
Katherine Elmer of Roulette, who was born Mary 17, 1888, the daughter
of George and Anna (Helwig) Elmer. Mr. Elmer owned and operated the
leading hardware store in Roulette from 1886 until his death in 1932.
Mrs. Henderson attends the Baptist Church and is a member of Myrtle
Chapter Number 43 O.E.S. They have one daughter, Ida Margaret (Henderson)
Chase of Roulette, who was born October 6, 1919. She attended Westbrook
Business College at Olean, New York. She has one daughter, Linda Lee.
Mrs. Henderson’s sister, Mayme (Eimer) Bailey Stillwell died in 1922,
leaving two sons, George Elmer Bailey and Ronald W. Bailey, who made
their home with Mr. and Mrs. Henderson. Mr. Henderson is interested
in sports as a hobby and Mrs. Henderson’s hobby is growing flowers.
- S. JOSEPH ROSENBLOOM, partner of Rosenblooms ready-to-wear
store in Coudersport, was born June 13, 1904, in Austin, the son of
Frank A. and Golda Rosenbloom. He graduated from Austin High School
in 1922, attended Pennsylvania University, the University of Pittsburgh
and graduated from St. Bonaventure College with a B.S. degree. He
came to Coudersport in 1932 as manager of Rosenblooms store and remained
manager until 1938 when he became a partner in the store which was
established in 1898. Mr. Rosenbloom is a member of Arcania Lodge Number
580 F.&A.M., Coudersport Consistory, I.O.O.F., Coudersport Community
Association and Beth Zion Temple, Bradford. He married March 5, 1934,
Rena Stone of Minneapolis, Minnesota, the daughter of the late Lewis
B. and Lena C. Stone, former residents of Austin. Mrs. Rosenbloom
is a member of Eulalia Chapter Number 148 O.E.S. and of Beth Zion
Temple. Children: (1) Gail Ronna, born June 29, 1935. (2) Paula Maxene,
born September 3, 1938. Mr. Rosenbloom’s hobbies are civic enterprises
- MAJOR WEIMER was born in Pleasant Valley Township, Potter
County, July 23, 1872, the son of Otis and Huldih Jane (Johnson) Weimer.
His grandfather was one of the early settlers of Potter County. Mr.
Weimer received his early education in the public schools. He was
a lumberman for several years and was also connected with the tannery
business. He is now associated with the Pittsburgh Corning Glass Company.
Mr. Weimer is a member of Eulalia Lodge Number 342 F.&A.M., Coudersport
Chapter Number 263, Coudersport Consistory, having been in the first
class when it was organized in Coudersport in 1899. He married, February
16, 1897, Virginia D. Rossman of Sweden Hill. She is a member of the
Baptist Church. They have four children: Geneva (Weimer) Grandin of
Roulette; Naomi (Weimer) McLatchie of Coudersport; Dema (Wiemer) Burt
of Cyclone; and Florence (Weimer) Gallup of Port Allegany. Mr. Weimer’s
hobbies are hunting and fishing.
- KATHERINE (KNOX) COVEY was born July 13, 1878 in Couderpsort,
daughter of Franklin W. and Sarah Elizabeth (Dickenson) Knox. Mr.
Knox, always interested in Potter County, was a lumberman, attorney,
president of C&PA Railroad and president of the first water company
of Coudersport. Mrs. Covey’s childhood home is now the Old Hickory
Tavern. Mrs. Covey graduated from Smith College in 1903. She was married
to James E. Covey September 6, 1903. Mr. Covey, a successful businessman,
was a Spanish War veteran. He was a 33rd degree Mason.
He died July 11, 1930. Mrs. Covey is a member of Christ Episcopal
Church, of the D.A.R. and of O.E.S. Children: (1) John K., of Bellefonte,
a practicing eye, ear and nose specialist. He married Helen Hunt of
Lockhaven. They have one child, James Hunt. (2) Elizabeth A. (Covey)
Winchell, who has two children, James S. and Katherine C. (3) James
Franklin, a graduate of Pennsylvania State College and a veteran of
World War II, who is, at present, industrial arts instructor at Meadville,
Pa. He married Cathryn Blanchard of Meadville. They have two children,
James F., Jr., and Ann Elizabeth. (4) Francis Dickenson, of Salt Lake
City, Utah, a graduate of Banks Business College and a veteran of
World War II. He married Wenona H. McGhan of Salt Lake City. Mrs.
Covey’s hobbies are reading and raising flowers.
- ANDREW BENNETT WALLGREN, Sc.D, LL.D., Ph.D., and M.D., was
born September 29, 1877, at Varberg, Sweden, the son of Nelson Barthles
and Christine (Nelson) Wallgren. He received his degrees from the
Universities of Berlin, Heidelberg and Upsala. He also attended Pasteur
Institute. He was, at one time, pathologist and bacteriologist at
Pittsburgh, St. Margaret’s and Columbia Hospitals in Pittsburgh. Dr.
Wallgren was Chair of Biology and Bacteriology at the University of
Pittsburgh from 1902 until 1946. He is also an artist. He is a member
of Phi Gamma Delta and of Sigma Xi. Since 1926, he has spent his summers
at his camp in Potter County where he now makes his home. He has two
daughters: (1) Julia (Wallgren) Hurley, of Pittsburgh, a graduate
of Bristow Academy at Bristow, Virginia, and of the University of
Pittsburgh. She has three children, Clark, Lynn, and Gretchen. (2)
Anne Patricia, of Pittsburgh, a graduate of Bristow Academy, Pittsburgh
University, Pennsylvania College for Women, University of Pittsburgh
and Margaret Morrison. She is now librarian at Carnegie Institute.
Dr. Wallgren’s hobby is painting.
- ROBERT RAY LYMAN, SR., President of the Citizens’ Safe Deposit
& Trust Company of Coudersport, was born October 9, 1894, at Roulette,
the son of Milo and Kittie C. (Thompson) Lyman. (See par. 80). His
grandfather, Laroy Lyman, was a famous pioneer hunter. Mr. Lyman graduated
from Roulette High School in 1912 and from Pennsylvania State College
in 1919, where he received a B.S. degree in forestry. He served in
World War I with the 10th Engineers AEF in France in 1918
and 1919. In addition to his bank position, Mr. Lyman is treasurer
of Potter Garage Company, director of C&PA Railroad, director
of Northeastern Lumber Manufacturers’ Association. He is a member
of the Advisory Council of Northeastern Forest Experiment Station,
of the Advisory Board of Pennsylvania Forestry Association, of the
American Forestry Association, of the Society of American Foresters
and of the Ntional Lumber Manufacturers’ Association. He is chairman
of Potter County CED Committee. He was president of Gray Chemical
Company from 1935 to 1946, vice-president of Manufacturers Charcoal
Company from 1942 to 1946 and of Wood Distillers Corp. from 1942 to
1946, director of Norwich Chemical Company from 1943 to 1946 and of
Wood Chemical Institute from 1935 to 1945. He was president of Coudersport
Borough Council from 1932 to 1938. He is amember of the First Presbyterian
Church. He is a 32nd degree Mason and a member of the Republican
Party. He married, July 15, 1920, Lorena M. Williams of Howard, Pa.
Children: (1) Robert R., Jr., born April 16, 1921. (2) Betty J. (Lyman)
Good, born Mary 28, 1923. (3) Lois A. Lyman, born October 11, 1926.
- RUDOLPH C. STRALEY, born October 13, 1873, in Germania,
the son of John G. and Catherine (Becher) Strahley who came to this
country from Germany in 1855. Mr. Straley attended the public schools
in Germania and graduated from Eastman Business School in Poughkeepsie,
New York. He was associated with the general store in Germania. Later,
when the First National Bank of Galeton was organized in 1904, Mr.
Straley became bookkeeper and cashier. He was cashier until he retired
in 1945. He is now one of the directors of the bank. He is a member
of the Presbyterian Church, Galeton Lodge Number 602 F.&A.M. and
Coudersport Consistory. He was a member of the school board for twenty
years. He married, August 20, 1901, Flora Schramm, daughter of Martin
and Mary (Gundel) Shramm, early settlers of Potter County. Mrs. Straley
is a member of the Presbyterian Church and Galeton Chapter Number
53, O.E.S. Children: (1) Thelma, a graduate of Mansfield State Teachers
College and of Pennsylvania State College, who is a teacher in Galeton
High School and is also a member of the Presbyterian Church and of
Galeton Chapter Number 53 O.E.S. (2) Norma (Straley) Topping of Southampton,
Long Island, New York, who has three sons, Pierson, Arthur and Albert.
(3) Dorothy (Straley) Miller of East Hampton, Long Island, New York,
who has two children, Daniel, Jr., and Mary Dorothy. Norma and Dorothy
are twins and both are graduates of Mansfield State Teachers College.
Mr. Straley’s hobbies are gardening and fishing.
- ROBERT WAYNE RICHARDS, practicing physician and surgeon
and mayor of Shinglehouse, was born September 16, 1886, at Hazelhurst,
the son of George and Cora (Warfel) Richards. He was graduated from
Clarion Normal School and from Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia
in 1912. He interned at Jefferson Medical College Hospital and started
practicing in Shinglehouse in 1913. He entered Bellevue Hospital on
February 4, 1918, as a 1st lieutenant in the U.S. Army
Medical Corps. He was stationed at Camp Oglethorpe, Georgia, Camp
Waco, Texas, and Hoboken, New Jersy. He served overseas from march
1919 to August 1919. He was honorably discharged from service October
19, 1919, and he returned to Shinglehouse where he has been in practice
since that time. Dr. Richards was health officer of Shinglehouse and
inspector and examiner of Shinglehouse and Sharon Township Schools
from 1925 to 1935. He has been associated with the Mountain Clinic
in Olean, New York, since 1915. He is a member of the American Medical
Association, of Jefferson Medical College Alumni Association, of the
Edward Anthony Spitzka Anatomic Society, of F.&A.M. and of Coudersport
Consistory. He has been president of the Automobile Club of Shinglehouse
for the last twenty years. He married, first Claire E. Robison, of
Philadelphia, on September 24, 1913. She died February 13, 1935. He
married, second, Nita Githens on January 1, 1944. Dr. and Mrs. Richards
both attended the Methodist Church. Dr. Richards’ hobbies are fishing
- FRANK H. SCHADENBERGER, the son of Christian and Louise
(Schauss) Schadenberger, was born March 6, 1876, near Coudersport,
on a farm which his father cleared as an early settler. He attended
Coudersport schools and was graduated from Westbrook Business College
at Olean, New York. As a young man he was interested in athletics.
He won many medals as a champion bicycle rider of Northern Pennsylvania
and Southern New York. Later as a farmer he became active in politics
in Potter County and was elected Auditor and Commissioner. During
World War I, he served on the Exemption Board and has always been
active in public affairs. He married, February 27, 1903, Marie Rounseville
Pearce, whose maternal grandfather, Abiather Rounseville, was one
of the first settlers of the county. Mr. Rounseville came to Couderpsort
in 1841 and for many years acted as Commissioner of State Roads. He
was Postmaster in 1853. One of the first houses to be built in Coudersport
was that of Mr. Rounesville and it is still standing, being occupied
at the present time by the Schutt Funeral Home. As descendants of
the early settlers of potter County Mr. and Mrs. Schadenberger consider
their farm near Coudersport as their home, although, since Mr. Schadenberger’s
retirement, they now spend part of their time living in Hornell, New
York. Mrs. Schadenberger is active in church circles, and she is a
member of Fortnightly Club and Hornell County Club. They have one
daughter, Maxine, who married Victor Louis Mason of Montclair, new
Jersey. (See par. 133). Mr. and Mrs. Schadenberger have two grandchildren,
Victoria Luise and Victor Louis, III.
- ROBERT S. McLAUGHLIN, funeral director in Shinglehouse,
was born December 2, 1906, at Olean, New York, son of Leon C. and
Hazel (Sliger) McLaughlin. Mr. McLaughlin was graduated from Olean
High School and Simmons College of Mortuary Science in Syracuse, New
York. He served his apprenticeship in Syracuse at Snyder Funeral Home,
coming to Shinglehouse in 1936 as a partner in Morton Funeral Home.
He entered the U.S. Navy in February of 1942 and was in service until
April 1, 1946. He saw twenty-seven moths of service in the South Pacific
area. On July 1, 1946, he opened a new business, McLaughlin’s Home
for Funerals, in Shinglehouse. He is a member of the First Presbyterian
Church in Olean and attends the Methodist Church in Shinglehouse.
He is a member of Sharon Lodge Number 598 F.&A.M., of Veterans
of Foreign Wars and of county, state and national funeral directors’
associations. He married, November 14, 1941, Evelyn Mildred Russell,
of Shinglehouse, daughter of Harry and Mary Elizabeth (Cuneo) Russell.
Mrs. McLaughlin is a member of the Methodist Church and of the Order
of Eastern Star. They have two sons: Robert S., Jr., born November
27, 1943, and Michael Russell, born August 27, 1945. Mr. McLaughlin’s
hobby is photography.
- C. MAT BURROUS, merchant and oil producer, was born February
12, 1907, in Galeton, son of Clinton and Nellie (Whalen) Burrous,
one of the prominent families of Potter County. Mr. Burrous was graduated
from Galeton High School. He came to Genesee in 1928. He was first
employed by First National Bank where he became cashier. In 1935 he
formed the partnership of Chapman-Burrous. He is a member of Lewisville
Lodge Number 556 F.&A.M., Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite,
Coudersport Consistory, Ismailia Temple Buffalo Shrine, Furniture
Club of America, Wellsville Aviation Club, Wellsville Country Club,
and B.P.O.E. He is director of the First National Bank, president
of Gibson Furniture Company, Inc., of Wellsville, and he was vice
president of Genesee Chemical Company until 1946. He attends the Methodist
Church. He is a partner in Whitehall Oil Company, Tomahawk Oil Company,
Arrowhead Oil Company, and Madison Hill Oil Company. He married, March
6, 1927, Beryl Lowe, daughter of Ed and Lolo (Ludden) Lowe. Mrs. Burrous
is a member of the Order of Eastern Star. She attends the Methodist
Church. Children: (1) Wanda Jacquelyn, born December 17, 1927, a student
at St. Lawrence University in Canton, New York. (2) Barbara Ann, born
Mary 2, 1933, now attending Wellsville High School. (3) Richard Mathew,
born April 24, 1935, a student in Ulysses. Mr. Burrous’ hobbies are
flying and golfing.
- VERNAL C. MILES, district conservationist of the Soil Conservation
Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, was born November 15,
1910, in Germantown, the son of Charles A. and Jennie (Robinson) Miles.
He was graduated, in 1935, from Pennsylvania State College, where
he majored in forestry. He first became affiliated with the Soil Erosion
Service and has been with the Soil Conservation Service in West Virginia
and Pennsylvania since 1935. He is a member of the Methodist Church,
the Society of American Foresters, Alpha Zeta Fraternity, and Xi Sigma
Pi, an honorary forestry fraternity. He is secretary-treasurer of
the Pennsylvania State Mont Alto Forestry Alumni. He was a member
of Germantown Chapter of DeMolay. He married, June 24, 1939, Ruth
Sawyer, of Apollo, the daughter of Dean C. and Kathryn (Jones) Sawyer.
Mrs. Miles was graduated from Indiana State Teachers’ College where
she received a B.S. degree in home economics. She is a member of the
Methodist church. Children: Lois Kathryn, born August 16, 1940; Dorothy
Ruth, born July 21, 1942; and Janet Mabel, born February 19, 1944.
Mr. Miles’ hobby is sports.
- LETTIE (GORDNIER) POTTER was born August 28, 1872 in Coudersport,
the daughter of Walter and Lydia (Armstrong) Gordnier. She is a member
of the Methodist Church, Eulalia Chapter Number 148 O.E.S., W.C.T.U.,
Potter County Historical Society and Allegany Group of WSCS. She married,
April 2, 1891, Milton James Potter, son of James Oliver and Phoebe
(Grover) Potter. Mr. Potter was an influential citizen of Potter County.
He was a member of all bodies of Masonry, including the honorary 33rd
degree, and was a member of the Methodist Church. He was superintendent
of Silver Truss Company and was a real estate dealer. He died February
15, 1919. Children: (1) Margaret, born June 10, 1894, died June 12,
1899. (2) James Clarence, born August 3, 1898, died June 2, 1899.
(3) Robert G., of Attleboro, Massachusetts, born in June 1900. He
is a graduate of Princeton University. He has two children, Robert
and Katharine. (4) Willis G., of Coudersport, born August 25, 1902.
He attended Cornell University. He has two daughters, Carol Virginia
and Lois. (5) Paul G., of Pittsburgh, born January 25, 1905. He is
a graduate of Bucknell University. He has one daughter, Patricia.
(6) Milton James, Jr., of Coudersport, born November 13, 1907. He
was graduated from Coudersport High School and from Bucknell University
where he majored in mechanical engineering.
- BELLE (HASKELL) LEWIS was born July 31, 1864, to Edwin and
Laura (Cannon) Haskell. Mrs. Lewis graduated from Lock Haven State
College and both she and her sister, Edith (Haskell) Colcord (See
par. 35), taught school in Potter County for a number of years. Mr.
Lewis was a partner in Buffalo Hardware Store in Austin, Prothonotary
of Potter County for several years and secretary of the Citizens’
Safe Deposit and Trust Company for some time. He was a 33rd
degree Mason, having received the degree in Boston in 1903, and he
was one of the founders of the Coudersport Consistory. Mrs. Lewis
is a member of Park Methodist Church, Eulalia Chapter Number 146 O.E.S.,
New Century Club, Red Cross and civic organizations.
- FRANCIS M. O’CONNELL, priest of St. Eulalia Parish, Coudersport,
was born in Williamsport, Pa., son of Daniel J. and Anne (Carrig)
O’Connell. He graduated from St. Joseph’s High School and from the
University of Notre Dame. He then attended St. Bonaventure Seminary
and was ordained a priest on December 7, 1916. He was stationed in
DuBois, Pa., and Corey, Pa., before coming to Couderpsort in January
1936. While in school, he won recognition for his ability in baseball,
basketball and on the track team.
- HENRY D. HART, practicing physician of Genesee, was born
March 1, 1861, son of William M. and Mary Ann (Langdon) Hart, a pioneer
family of Potter County. He attended district and Ulysses schools.
He started teaching at the age of eighteen and taught in several schools
in Potter County. He studied medicine under the instruction of Dr.
A. L. Bottom and was graduated from Baltimore Medical College March
30, 1883. He started practicing medicine in Genesee during May of
1883. Dr. Hart is the only living charter member of the Potter County
Medical Society. He is a member of the Methodist Church and was a
member of the school board for about thirty years, having been president,
secretary and treasurer of the board at various times. He married
November 8, 1883, Jennie A. White. She died November 4, 1918. Children:
(1) Leah Blanche (Hart) Skillman, of Bemis Point, New York, who attended
Mansfield State Normal School. She has three children: Lawrence D.,
of Englewood, California, a veteran of World War II; Eleanor, of Boston,
Massachusetts; Lester J., of Bemis Point. (2) Olin J. Hart, of Genesee.
Dr. Hart’s hobbies are hunting and fishing. He has caught thousands
of brook trout during his life and has made many hunting trips in
- CARRIE (GROVER) HAYNES, a resident of Harrison Township
for more than sixty years, having lived in her present home in Harrison
Valley for the past thirty years, was born August 30, 1862, in North
Bingham, the daughter of Charles and Eliza (Raymond) Grover. She attended
school in Ulysses and taught school for several years in Allegheny
and Potter counties. She married, September 30, 1885, Lewis E. Haynes
of Harrison Township. He was a farmer for many years and held many
important offices in Harrison Township, including tax collector, supervisor,
school director and director of the Grange. He was treasurer of the
local chapter of the Grange at the time of his death, May 28, 1938.
Children: (1) Jennie, now living in the Haynes farm homestead in Harrison
Township. She married James W. Riley of Harrison Township. (2) Harriet
E., of Harrison Valley, who married Frank H. Dibble of Harrison Township.
Mrs. Haynes is a very active woman and at the age of eighty-four she
is teaching a class of boys in Sunday School. She attends the Federated
Church and is a member of the Grange.
- ARCHIBALD P. AKELEY, School Superintendent of Potter County,
was born May 18, 1886, in Russell, Pa., son of Lester O. and Emma
(Rhodes) Akeley. He graduated from Oswayo High School, Grove City
College, Mansfield State Teachers College and St. Bonaventure College.
He was Assistant County Superintendent from 1915 to 1918, and has
been County Superintendent since 1918. He is a trustee of State Teachers’
College of Lock Haven, president of the board of trustees Coudersport
Library, president of Potter County Historical Society and commander-in-chief
of Coudersport Consistory A.A.S.R. He is a member of all Masonic bodies.
He is a stated clerk of the session of the First Presbyterian Church.
He is a Pi Gamma Mu, a member of various state and national educational
associations, a member of American Association of University Professors,
of Pennsylvania Historical Society and of the Rotary Club. He married,
December 31, 1918, Doris Heymann of Galeton, a graduate of Mansfield
State Teachers College. She taught school in New Jersey for four years.
She is a member of the First Presbyterian Church, of O.E.S., New Century
Club and other civic organizations. Mr. and Mrs. Akeley have two sons:
(1) John Wilder, born May 23, 1920, now a resident of Lock Haven.
He is a graduate of Lock Haven Teachers College and a veteran of World
War II. He married Rose Minnie Probst of Lock Haven. (2) James Thomas,
a 1st lieutenant in the U.S. Army, born December 4, 1921,
who attended State Teachers College prior to his entering service.
He married Gloria VonHagn of Germania. Mr. Akeley’s hobbies are local
history research and woodworking.
- JAMES L. SULLIVAN, retired business man of Genesee, was
born April 17, 1871, the son of John and Mary (Durkin) Sullivan. He
was in business in Genesee for more than fifty years and is a prominent
and influential man in the community. He is a member of Sacred Heart
Catholic Church. He married, June 25, 1902, Della M. McGinnis, of
Genesee. She attended Mansfield Normal School and taught school for
several years. Mrs. Sullivan has been Postmaster of Genesee since
1936. She is a member of Sacred Heart Church, and of St. Agnes Guild.
Children: (1) Donald J., of Norfolk, Virginia, who was graduated from
St. Bonaventure College. He married Mae Suthrell of Norfolk. (2) Paul
James, of Providence, Rhode Island, who was graduated from Wellsville
High School and was a 1st lieutenant in the Transportation
Corps of the U.S. Army during World War II. He married Dorothy Girard,
of Pawtucket, Rhode Island. They have one son, Paul Francis.