Biographies from Roulette and Homer Townships Potter Co., PASubmitted by Barb Hyde
MRS. PRUDENCE L. BOYINGTON, daughter of Burrel and Dorcas (Irons) Lyman, was born in Roulette, Potter Co., Penn., in 1830. After leaving school she taught several years, and was a very successful teacher in Potter county. But the early difficulties Mrs. Boyington passed through in studying to become a teacher were many and great. Her compensation for teaching her first school was $1 per week in summer and $2.50 in winter, with her "board around" added. Often she had to walk a mile and a half through deep snow to reach the place where she temporarily took her meals and found a lodging.
She married William J. Boyington March 13, 1851, after which they
located at Hebron, where her husband was engaged as lumberman, eventually
removing to Roulette, and in 1858 she became proprietress of the Roulette
Hotel, a business she still continues. Their children are Mary A. (Mrs.
Clinton S. Corthell, of Findlay, Ohio), Dora E., Nellie P., and Gertrude
G. (now Mrs. J.K. Regan, of Salamanca). Mr. Boyington is a member of
Eulalia Lodge, No. 342, F. & A.M.; he is a Democrat in politics,
and was postmaster eight years. He was born in Randolph, N.Y. in 1826.
His parents removed to Olean; from there to Wisconsin, where his mother
died. His father returned to Olean, where he died in 1888, at the advanced
age of eighty-four years; their children were William J., Esther and
BELDIN BURT, merchant, Burtville, son of J.K. and Orrilla
(Lyman) Burt, was born in Burtville, Potter Co., Penn., in 1841. His
grandfather, Benjamin Burt, was born in Chemung county, N.Y., and there
married Mercy Rickey. In 1808 he came to what is now Burtville, at that
time a wilderness, engaged in farming and in the lumber trade, and erected
the first mill at that point. He rafted his lumber down the river to
Pittsburgh, where he received $2.50 or $3 per thousand for it, which
was usually expended in family supplies; these were loaded in a canoe
and polled up stream. His children were Elisha, J.K., Sarah, Israel,
Elizabeth, Joanna, Hannah and Benjamin, all deceased excepting the first
four. J.K. Burt, who has the proud distinction of being the first white
male child born in Potter county, was born in Roulette township in 1811,
at a time when there were no educational advantages, and when the country
was absolutely wild. He married Orrilla, daughter of Burrel Lyman, of
Roulette, in 1837, and located at Burtville, where he engaged in farming.
His family consisted of thirteen children, of whom five are deceased.
Those living are Lyman, Beldin, Benjamin, John C., Hugh, Aden, Alice
(Mrs. C.E. Grover, of Port Allegany) and Annis (Mrs. A.H. Coleman, of
Burtville). Beldin Burt remained at Burtville with his parents until
twenty-one years o1d. He then began life for himself, and has since
been successfully engaged in the general mercantile business, and has
also dealt extensively in lumber. In 1871 he married Annis, daughter
of George Taggart, late of Emporium, and their children are Guy, George
and Flora. Mr. Burt is a member of Eulalia Lodge, No. 342, F. &
A.M. He is a Democrat, and although he takes an active interest in politics,
he is not an office-seeker.
GEORGE EIMER, merchant, Roulette, son of John and Catherine
Eimer, was born in Germany in 1860, and came to America with his parents,
in 1868, locating at Yonkers, N.Y., where they remained about a year,
and then removed to Roulette, Potter Co., Penn., where the father purchased
a tract of land and engaged in business as a farmer and lumberman, and
where they still live. They have four children: George, Conrad, Francis
and Mary. George made his home with his parents until 1886, when he
came to the village of Roulette, and became associated with E.C. Gale,
of Wellsville, N.Y., in the hardware trade, the firm name being Eimer
& Co. In 1887 he married Anna Helwig, and they have one child, Katie.
The family are members of the Lutheran Church. In politics Mr. Eimer
is a Democrat. He has been town clerk for the past three years, and
is still an incumbent of that office.
E. R. GRIMES, farmer, P.O. Roulette, son of J.B. and
Anna (Bennett) Grimes, was born in Towanda, Bradford Co., Penn., in
1832, and with his parents came to McKean county, and located in Liberty
township, where his father improved a farm, and at his death was one
of the well-to-do citizens. His family consisted of ten children: Jane,
now Mrs. E. Lillibridge, of Port Allegany; Louisa, now Mrs. B. Card,
of Roulette; E.R.; Elias; Caroline, now Mrs. G. Stickles; William W.;
Abigail, now Mrs. B.G. Maine, of West Branch, Penn.; Samuel; Lester,
and Ella, now Mrs. Z. Sherwood. E.R. Grimes made his home with his parents
until 1853, and then became one of the firm of Dolley & Grimes,
lumbermen, at which he continued five or six years, after which he located
on the farm he now owns in Roulette, and has devoted the most of his
attention to farming, although he has also been quite extensively engaged
in the lumber business. Mr. Grimes was one of the noted hunters of this
portion of the State, having a natural inclination in that direction,
and has pursued that sport every year since he was a boy of twelve years.
He has killed deer every year but one, and in the winter of 1888 killed
eight; has also killed many bear and wildcats, and is as familiar with
the woods as any man living. He was married, August 16, 1855, to Eunice
Burton, of Crawford county, Penn., and their children are Helen M.,
now Mrs. William Lehman, of Sartwell Creek; W.R.; Delphina, now Mrs.
Peter J. Weipper, and Eddie M. In politics Mr. Grimes is a Democrat,
and has held various official positions.
WILLIAM H. HAZEN, farmer, P.O. Roulette, son of George
G. and Eliza A. (Remmele) Hazen, was born in Stewardson township, Potter
Co., Penn., in 1842. His father located there at an early day and engaged
in the lumber trade until his removal to Coudersport, and a little later
to Roulette, where he was in the lumber business for fifteen or twenty
years. He then purchased a farm in Liberty township, McKean county,
where he still has his residence. Mrs. Hazen died in July, 1881. Their
children were William H., Charles A., and Mary A., who died when six
years of age. William H. remained an inmate of the parental home until
after the breaking out of the Civil war, when he enlisted, in August,
1862, in Company K, One Hundred and Forty-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers,
and was mustered out of the service in June, 1865. He then returned
to Roulette, where he has since lived. He worked at the carpenter' s
trade a number of years, and was also in the lumber business until 1881,
when he bought the farm where he now lives. In May, 1872, he married
Luzerne, daughter of George Weimer; she died October 31, 1879, leaving
two children, Glenn W. and Carl S. In 1882 Mr. Hazen married Esther
E. French, daughter of Nehemiah French, and they have one child, Warren
N. Mr. Hazen is a member of Eulalia Lodge, No. 342, F. & A.M., and
of A.F. Jones Post, No. 204, G.A.R. In politics he is a Republican.
Mrs. Hazen's father, Neheiniah French, settled in Port Allegany in 1856.
He was a farmer and lumberman. He married Margaret Shaff, who died in
1851, leaving three children: Sarah D., Martha R. and William H. September
5, 1852, he took for his second wife Olive I. Samson, who died December
10, 1887, leaving two children, John C. and Esther E. Mr. French now
makes his home with Mr. and Mrs. Hazen.
M. V. LARRABEE, farmer, P.O. Roulette, son of Willett
and Rosanna (Smith) Larrabee, was born in Almond, Allegany Co., N.Y.,
in 1837. He was reared and educated in Whitesville until twelve years
of age, when he was thrown upon his own resources. He engaged in various
occupations, among others as baggageman and fireman on the Erie Railroad
from 1854 to 1856, remaining in Whitesville until 1862, when he removed
to Potter county, Penn., and in 1868 located on the farm he now owns
in Roulette township, and has since been engaged in farming, and has
also dealt extensively in lumber. He was married, September 8, 1858,
to Eugenia, daughter of Franklyn Forsyth, of Allegany county, N.Y.,
and they have had four children: Charlotte (now Mrs. B.F. Begell, of
Harrison Valley), Laura (now Mrs. O.E. Marsh, of Collins Centre, Erie
Co., N.Y.), Fred, and Frank (who died in December, 1888, aged fourteen
years and nine months). Mr. Larrabee is a member of Eulalia Lodge, No.
342. F. & A.M. He is in politics a Republican, and is active in
political circles. He was elected county treasurer in 1877, served one
term of three years, and has occupied various official positions in
the township. He is one of its able and respected citizens, and is always
among the first to assist any enterprise of material benefit to either
township or county.
JOHN M. LYMAN, farmer, P.O. Roulette, son of Isaac and
Minerva (Cole) Lyman, was born in Roulette, Potter Co., Penn., in 1833.
His parents removed to Mercer county and there his father died in 1838.
The widow with the family returned to Roulette, where she married Garrett
Fosmer, after which the subject of our sketch lived with Nelson Clark
for a year, and with James Nelson until he was twenty years of age.
In 1855 he married Barbara Witheredge and located in Roulette, where
he engaged in business as a farmer and lumberman. His wife died in 1872,
leaving four children: Watson A., Lenora, Jennie and Minnie. Mr. Lyman
afterward married Miss Ada Wilkinson, and their children are Rosa M.,
Carrie, Ethel and Ina P. Mr. Lyman in his political views is a Democrat,
and has served as constable nine years, and justice of the peace ten
years. He is one of the enterprising men of Roulette, and stands high
in the community in which he lives.
DON F. MANNING, blacksmith, P.O. Roulette, son of Perry
and Margaret (Weimer) Manning, was born in Liberty township, McKean
Co., Penn., in 1854. His parents were among the pioneers of that township,
where they still live, his father being a prominent farmer and lumberman.
They have had a family of seven children, viz.: Annis, Don F., Mark
(who died of typhoid fever July 27, 1889), Lettie, Will, Charles and
Minnie. Don F. worked at various occupations and made his home with
his parents until 1876, when he learned the blacksmith' s trade, and
located at Roulette. February 5, 1879, he married Nora Lyman, and has
one child, Iva. Mr. Manning is a member of Roulette Lodge, No. 322,
I.O.O.F. He is a Democrat in his political views, and for the past two
years has been treasurer of the township. He is a prosperous, public-spirited
citizen, and is a popular officer, performing his duties efficiently
MILES MARSH, farmer, P.O. Roulette, son of Luther S.
and Betsy (Edson) Marsh, was born in Barton, Tioga Co., N.Y., in 1844,
and with his parents located in Roulette, Potter Co., Penn., in 1857.
His father was a mason by trade, but after locating in Potter county
engaged in farming. Of his family of nine children, seven are living:
Miles, Levi, Albert, Olive, Mary, Julia and Josephine; a son, Thomas,
died from the effects of injuries received by falling into a body of
water, and one died in infancy. Miles made his home with his parents
until in 1861, when he enlisted in Company G, Fifty-third Pennsylvania
Volunteers. He was wounded in the head by a saber cut, at the battle
near Culpeper Court House, Va., but remained in the service, however,
until the expiration of his term of enlistment, and was mustered out
in the Shenandoah Valley, October 19, 1864, when he returned to Roulette
and engaged in various occupations. In 1865 he married Dorcas, daughter
of George Weimer. After his marriage he removed to Michigan, where he
was engaged in a saw-mill for a couple of years, when he returned to
Roulette and purchased the property he now owns, and built a planing-mill,
which is operated by his oldest son. Mr. and Mrs. Marsh have four children:
Willie, Fred, Minnie and Minerva. Mr. Marsh is a member of A. F. Jones
Post, No. 204, G.A.R., and Roulette Lodge, No. 322, I.O.O.F.; his son
is also a member of the I.O.O.F. Mr. Marsh has held various official
positions in the township.
L. D. REYNOLDS, merchant, Roulette, son of William C.
and Orpha (Stillman) Reynolds, was born in Hebron township, Potter Co.,
Penn., in 1858. Foster and Fannie (Potter) Reynolds, grandparents of
L.D., were among the pioneers of the county, and located in Hebron about
1830, where Foster engaged in farming, and was a millwright by trade.
Their children were William C., Stephen P., Henry T., Sarah and Celestia.
William C. Reynolds was born in Allegany county, N.Y.; came with his
parents to Hebron township, and in 1855 married and located there, engaging
in farming. Lamont D. was the only child. Mrs. Reynolds died in February,
1888, and Mr. Reynolds still remains there, and has been in various
ways identified with that part of the county. L.D. Reynolds engaged
in teaching for six years, then in 1885 began the mercantile business
at Millport, and in the same year married Hattie L. Eastman, of Wellsboro,
Tioga Co., Penn. Two years thereafter he removed to Roulette and established
a general merchandise store, where he is conducting a constantly growing
business. He is a member of Roulette Lodge, I.O.O.F. and also of the
K.O.T.M. In politics he is a Republican. He has two children: Francis
W. and Grace G.
A. J. TUCKER, of Roulette, was from 1860 to 1886 successfully
engaged in the tanning business in Halifax, Vt. He is the resident member
at Roulette of the firm of A.J. Tucker & Co., proprietors of the
extensive tannery at that place (of which mention is made in the chapter
devoted to Roulette township). The other members of the firm are W.T.
Jackson and Henry Taggard, both commission merchants in the leather
business at 244 Purchase street, Boston, Mass. They manufacture wax
and grain leather exclusively, and do first class work, the usual output
of the tannery being an average of 300 sides per day. The plant at Roulette
consists of a ten-acre plat of ground, with a main building 120 feet
long by 45 feet wide, having a wing 110 feet long by 45 feet wide, the
entire building being two and a half stories high. Besides these there
are bark, leach and boiler houses, all in separate buildings, and well
adapted to their use. The tannery has a capacity of 300 sides per day,
and the firm employs about sixty-five men, using from 2,500 to 3,000
cords of bark per year. The entire business is under the exclusive management
of Mr. A.J. Tucker.
O. R. WEBB, farmer, P.O. Roulette, son of Timothy and
Lucina (Grimes) Webb, was born in Liberty township; McKean Co., Penn.,
in 1831. His maternal grandfather, Samuel Grimes, was a pioneer of that
county, and settled in Liberty township about 1825. He was a native
of New Hampshire, where he married, and was the father of three boys
and five girls. Timothy Webb was a native of Otsego county, N.Y., and
removed to this county where he married. He afterward moved to Michigan,
but returned to Pennsylvania and located at Ridgway, Elk county, where
he died in 1837, leaving six children: Jane, now Mrs. Jacob Palmer,
of Custer City, Dak.; Emily, now Mrs. James Van Sickles, of Genesee
county, Mich.; O.R.; Francis, who died when about five years of age;
Ellen, who died in 1889, in Polk county, Wis., and Louisa, also deceased.
O.R. Webb, when seven years of age began life for himself, eventually
learning the carpenter's trade, and subsequently adopted the business
of surveyor. He engaged in various enterprises, having been in the mercantile
business, and also was in the lumber business at Roulette from 1862
to 1867. In 1856 he married Eve, daughter of Jacob Wiederich. Mrs. Webb
died in 1859, leaving one child, P.L. Mr. Webb was again married, his
present wife being Mrs. Polly A. Taggart, widow of A.C. Taggart, formerly
a sheriff of the county. Mr. Webb is a Republican in politics. He has
been supervisor, justice of the peace and postmaster, and has held other
local positions of trust.
MICHAEL WEIMER, farmer, P.O. Roulette, son of George
and Eve Weimer, was born in Alsace, France, in 1824. He came with his
parents to America in 1830, locating in Roulette township, where he
was reared. After reaching manhood he located on the farm he now owns
in Roulette township, and engaged in business as a farmer, also dealing
extensively in lumber. He was married in 1849 to Rebecca, daughter of
Elder Barr, and their children are Loetta, wife of William Tauscher;
Sarah, wife of Perry Brock; George; Eve, wife of Isaac Dingman; Nettie
F., wife of Llewellyn Matteson; Ida, wife of Delno Wright; Viola, wife
of Edgar Whaley; Augusta, wife of R. Lee Burt; Gracie, wife of William
Ruby; Emily and Michael. Mrs. Weimer died April 13, 1887. Both were
members of the Free Will Baptist Church. Mr. Weimer is a member of the
Democratic party. During the war he enlisted in Company A, Ninety-ninth
Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was mustered out of the service in 1865.
R. L. WHITE, merchant, Roulette, son of David and Martha
J. White, was born in Leroy township, Bradford Co., Penn., in 1840.
About 1853 his parents removed to Sweden township, Potter Co., Penn.,
and purchased a tract of over 200 acres of land; this was cleared, and
they became prominent citizens of that township. Their family consisted
of eleven children, viz.: Franklin, who died at the age of fourteen
years; Rodney L. ; Adeline (deceased) who married Charles Wygant, of
Cherry Flats, Tioga county; Frederick D.; Delivan (deceased), a former
resident of Bradford, Penn.; Warren; William; Martha (Mrs. C. Chase);
Franklin 2d; Milton and Mary (twins, Mary died when seven years old,
and Milton is now on the old homestead). Six of this family are living.
Hon. R.L. White received his education in the common schools and the
academy of Potter county, and in 1866 married Fronia E., daughter of
H.L. Bird, of Sweden township. After his marriage he located on a farm
in Sweden township, where he lived until 1874, when he removed to Roulette,
and embarked in the mercantile business. Mr. White is a member of Eulalia
Lodge, No. 342, F. & A.M., of Coudersport Chapter, No. 263, R.A.M.,
and of Roulette Lodge, No. 322, I.O.O.F. He cast his political fortunes
with the Republican party, and was elected county commissioner, serving
one term. In 1867 he was re-elected, and served a second term. In the
fall of 1879 he was elected a member of the legislature, and served
during the winter of 1880- 81. He has always been identified with local
matters, and has filled a prominent place in the locality he has chosen
for his residence. His purse and influence are always extended in furthering
any proposition looking to the advancement of local interests, and he
is liberal in his charities and a friend to the needy. His children
are Mabel, Elmer B. and Harry D.
GEORGE WIEDERICH, farmer, P.O. Roulette, son of Jacob
and Sally Wiederich, was born at Inglesy, France, in 1821, and came
with his parents to America in 1829, locating in Roulette, then a wilderness,
there being but one house and a blacksmith shop where the thrifty borough
of Coudersport now stands. His father purchased a tract of land, which
he cleared, and he became a prosperous farmer. Their children were Sally
(Mrs. Isaac Lyman), Margaret (Mrs. Henry Reynolds), Caroline (Mrs. Charles
N. Barrett) and George. After the father' s death the mother made her
home with her son George. George Wiederich was reared in Potter county,
and remained on the homestead with his parents until his marriage, after
which he took charge of the farm, and at his father' s death succeeded
him in its ownership. He married Kate, daughter of Henry Yentzer, and
they have six children: Alice, Orlando, Lettie, Edith, Della and Volney.
In politics Mr. Wiederich is a Democrat, and has served his township
as school director.
JOHN YENTZER, farmer, P.O. Roulette, son of Henry and
Mary Yentzer, was born in France in 1827, in the province of Alsace,
now belonging to Germany, and with his parents came to America in 1834,
locating in Roulette, where he was reared and educated. In 1852 he bought
the farm he now owns, and began life as a farmer and lumberman, which
is still his business. He was married in 1859 to Hannah Baker, and they
have five children: Arthur, David, Myron, Melvina and Sophronia. Mr.
and Mrs. Yentzer are members of the Free Will Baptist Church. In politics
he is a Democrat, and has held various official positions in his township,
which he has filled to the entire satisfaction of his constituents.
L. B. YENTZER, P.O. Roulette, son of Henry and Mary Yentzer,
was born in France, near Strasburg in 1832. His parents came to America
in 1834, and located in Roulette Township, Potter Co., Penn., where
the father purchased a farm, cleared it and engaged in farming. They
reared a family of seven boys and two girls, all living but Peter, the
third born child. Their names are as follows: Horace, Daniel, Peter,
George, John, L.B., Frederick, Mrs. Katherine Weidrich and Mrs. Caroline
Tauseher. Here the parents spent their declining years, surrounded by
their children; and in the enjoyment of every material comfort. L.B.
remained with his parents until their decease. May 25, 1863, he married
Pauline Neefe, of Sweden township, and located on the old homestead
farm, which is now a. very desirable property. Their children are Gustave
H., Lena Raymer, Edward C., Florence, Burdette and Carroll. They are
members of the Lutheran Church. In politics Mr. Yentzer is a Democrat.
He has held various official positions in. the township, and is a gentleman
highly respected by all who know him.
DANIEL YENTZER, farmer, P.O. Roulette, was born in France
in 1821, and came with his parents to America in 1834. In 1849 he married
Mary A. Shafer, located in Pleasant Valley township, and engaged in
farming, remaining there about thirty-six years, when they removed to
Roulette, where Mrs. Yentzer died in November, 1884, leaving four children:
Henry B., John L., Daniel T. and Mary (now Mrs. William Ernst). In 1886
Mr. Yentzer married, for his second wife, Mrs. Angeline Peckham, daughter
of Luther Kinney, formerly of Clarksville, Allegany Co., N.Y., who also
had three children: Carrie (now Mrs. Wilson McDowell, of Pleasant Valley),
Nellie (now Mrs. John Smith, of Annin township, McKean county) and Lillie
P. Mrs. Ventzer is a member of the Baptist Church, and Mr. Yentzer of
the Lutheran Church. In politics lie is a Democrat. He is a prominent
citizen, and has held various positions of trust and honor in the township
of Pleasant Valley.
HOMER TOWNSHIP Back to Top
JAMES H. QUIMBY (deceased) was born in Steuben county,
N.Y., October 10, 1834. He lived in his native county until eighteen
years of age, when he came with his parents to Potter county, Penn.,
where they bought a tract of wild land, in Homer township, which he
improved and made his home until his death, and here his family still
reside. He was one of the first settlers of the township, and was a
successful farmer and lumberman. He died October 26, 1872. Mr. Quimby
was married, November 14, 1855, to Miss Charlotte Foster, who was born
in Susquehanna county, Penn., November 14, 1835, and was brought by
her parents to Homer township, Potter county, in 1839. Mr. and Mrs.
Quimby had a family of five children: Nora (married, and living with
her husband on a farm in Kansas), Flora (wife of Charles Head, now living
at Hot Springs, Dak.), Sylvia (wife of Frank Munroe, and living in Kansas),
Alvin and Rose. The last two reside with their mother on the old farm,
where Mrs. Quimby is taking care of Grandfather James E. Quimby, who
is now eighty-four years of age. Mrs. Quimby is a member of the Methodist
D. C. WHITE, farmer, P.O. Coudersport, is a native of
Tompkins county, N.Y., born December 7, 1820, a son of Dr. Austin White,
who moved to Potter county, Penn., in 1839, and was the first physician
in Harrison township, where he lived until his death, August 7, 1869.
He left a family of seven children: Sally, Jane, Esther, Fannie, D.C.,
Miles and Harriet. D.C. White came to Potter county with his parents
in 1839, and lived in Harrison township until February, 1882, when he
moved to Homer township, buying the farm where he now lives. He has
been prominent in public affairs, and has held the office of county
treasurer one term, and various township offices. He was married, March
1, 1840, to. Miss Susan Fie, of Jefferson county, Penn., and they have
five children: William J., of Coudersport; Mary A., wife of George Carr,
of Troopsburg, N.Y.; George; Jane and Sophronia.
If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact me at:
This page is maintained by the PHGS
Last Update April 9, 2009
© 2002-2009 by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society
Main | Email Us | Look-Ups | Members Family Pages
Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer