Biographies from Oswayo Township, Potter Co., PA

Submitted by Michael E. Henderson

Return to Potter Index
Also, check Oswayo Valley Historical Society


SAMUEL BEEBE, pension agent and notary public, Oswayo, was born in Columbus, Chenango Co., 
N. Y., May 22, 1827, a son of Stephen and Dorcas (Church) Beebe, who settled in Alfred, Allegany Co., N. Y. , in 1839, and lived and died there. >From eight years of age Samuel Beebe was reared in Allegany county, and was educated in the common schools at Spring Mills, Allegany Co., N. Y. He began life as a farmer, and for six years was proprietor of a woolen factory in Independence, N. Y. In 1867 he located at Oswayo, and carried on mercantile business for one year, since which time he has been engaged in his present business. In September, 1847, he married Dorothy, daughter of Philo and Mary (Darling) Colvin, of Independence, N. Y. They have six children: Eber J., Gaylord C., Clara A. (Mrs. William L. Campbell), Prentice W. , Joel H. and John S. Mr. Beebe was justice of the peace in Independence, N. Y., for twenty years, and filled the same position in Oswayo for fifteen years. He was appointed associate judge of Potter county to fill a vacancy, and served one year; was county auditor three years. Politically he was formerly a Whig, and has been a stanch Republican since the organization of the party. 

1190



WILLIAM DALRYMPLE, farmer, P. O. Chrystal, was born in Chenango county, N. Y., December 4, 1826, a son of Ephraim and Abigail (Bridgman) Dalrymple. He was reared in Chemung county, and settled in Oswayo township, Potter Co., Penn., in 1850, locating on a part of the farm he now occupies, most of which he has improved himself, where, with the exception of seventeen years, he has since resided. His father also settled in Oswayo in 1850, and together they embarked in the lumber business, erecting a mill in Oswayo, said to be the first steam saw-mill built in Potter county. They did an extensive business until the father's death, April 22, 1856, after which the son carried on the business until 1869, when he embarked in the lumber industry at Wellsville, N. Y., and also ran a sash and blind factory there for five years. He then engaged in the lumber business at Duke Centre, McKean Co., Penn., for seven years, and afterward at Alma, N. Y., for six years. He returned to Oswayo in 1886, where he has since attended to his farm and engaged in lumbering. April 16, 1853, he married Sarah, daughter of Sylvester and Mary (Kirtland) Weeks, of Chemung county, N. Y., and they have three children: Reuben, Arthur and Agnes (Mrs. Chas. Monroe). Mr. Dalrymple is a member of the F. & A. M. and the I. O. O. F.; politically he is a Democrat. Mr. Dalrymple is the owner of the first millstone that ground corn in Chemung county, N. Y., and uses it for a horse block. 

JAMES H. DEXTER, farmer and lumberman, P. O. Oswayo, was born in Oswayo township, Potter Co., Penn., March 3, 1858, the only son of William and Lucy M. (Parker) Dexter, natives of Chenango county, N. Y., who settled in Oswayo township in 1854, where his father for many years was a prominent lumberman, but since 1870 has been engaged in farming. James H. Was reared in Oswayo, and since attaining his majority has been prominently identified with the lumbering interests of the county, and at the same time has conducted his father's farm. He married in October, 1883, Eloise, daughter of Isaac and Mahala (Casterline) Griffin, of Allegany county, N. Y. Mr. Dexter is a prominent lumberman and citizen of Oswayo. He was, in 1887, elected one of the auditors of Potter county, for a term of three years, and has filled many of the local offices of the township. Politically he is a Republican. 


JAMES T. LOCKWOOD, lumberman and farmer, P. O. Chrystal, was born in Steuben county, N. Y., October 31,1834, a son of William and Laura (Lucas) Lockwood, natives of Vermont, who settled in Oswayo township, Potter Co., Penn., in 1849, locating on the farm now owned by the heirs of Jacob Lockwood. This farm William Lockwood (who in his lifetime was a prominent lumberman) cleared and improved, with the assistance of his sons, making it his home until his death, which occurred in December, 1880. He had ten children: Eliza (Mrs. Hugh Hahey), William L., Mary (Mrs. C. A. Pineo), John, Jacob, Betsy (Mrs. Thomas Crittenden), James T., Joseph, Nancy (Mrs. Martin Fisher) and Wealthy (Mrs. William Woodard). James T. came with his parents to Oswayo township, and on reaching manhood began his business career as a lumberman, which he has since followed, doing an extensive business. In 1871 he located on the farm he now occupies, comprising 145 acres, 115 of which he improved. In 1866 he married Sarah B., daughter of Elias and Electa (Cummings) Torry of Sharon township, Potter Co., Penn., and to them have been born six children: Mary, Minnie, Jacob J. (deceased), Florence, Lottie and Laura. Mr. Lockwood was a soldier in the Civil war, enlisting August 1, 1861, in Company G, Forty-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers. He was wounded through the hip at Atlanta, Ga.; was taken prisoner at the battle of Chancellorsville and sent to Libby prison, but was paroled after fifteen days' confinement. After serving nearly four years, he was honorably discharged July 21, 1865. Politically he is a Republican; has held the office of school director of Oswayo six years, and is now serving his second term as town auditor. 

1191



BENJAMIN F. LYMAN, farmer, P. O. Eleven Mile, was born in Castleton, Rutland Co., Vt., March 21, 1822, a son of Eleazer and Mary (Dudley) Lyman. His father settled in Oswayo township in 1855, locating on the farm now owned by his son, Algernon S. Lyman, a part of which he improved, and where he resided until his death. He was twice married, and by his first wife, Mary (Dudley), live children were born: Mary R., Lucy L., Benjamin F., and the twins, Henry H. and Esther M. By his second wife, Mary E. (Hollister), he had five children: Jennie M. (Mrs. Henry Yale), Sarah (Mrs. Walter Wells), Algernon S., Lucretia and Ashbell. Benjamin F. was reared in Vermont, settled in Oswayo in 1855, and in 1858 located on the farm he now occupies, all of which he cleared and improved. He enlisted in the Civil war in October. 1862, in Company H, Sixteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry; was taken prisoner while on picket duty at Harwood Church, Va., and after sixteen days spent in Libby prison was paroled, and was honorably discharged from the service May 29, 1865. He married Sophia, daughter of Samuel Wood, of Fair Haven, Vt., and they have had five children: Mary S. Lyman (dead), Helen (Mrs. Charles Day), Don F., Samuel F. and George H. Mr. Lyman has held nearly all the local offices of the township, was justice of the peace before the war, and is now holding the same office. Politically he is a Republican. 

GEORGE F. ROWLEE, farmer, P. O. Oswayo, was born in Southport, Chemung Co., N. Y., April 16, 1828, a son of Peter B. and Elizabeth (Briggs) Rowlee. His father was a native of Connecticut and of Scotch descent, and his mother of Cayuga county, N. Y., and of German parentage. They were residents of Chemung county, N. Y., and died there, both at the age of eighty- two and one half years. George F. was reared in his native county. In 1850 he settled in Oswayo township, where he has since resided, and in 1851 located on the farm he now occupies, which he cleared and improved himself. He was married, December 31, 1849, to Sophia L., daughter of Ephraim and Abigail (Bridgman) Dalrymple, of Chemung county, N. Y., and they have five children living: Susan A. (Mrs. D. C. Kelley), Sarah I. (Mrs. James F. Goit), Ida V. (Mrs. S. E. Crittenden), George M., and Edith M. (Mrs. Charles L. Wilbur). Mr. Rowlee for many years was engaged in lumbering. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company G, Sixty-fourth New York Volunteers. He was taken prisoner in the seven days' fight before Richmond, June 30,1862, and after twenty-one days was paroled with McClellan's sick and wounded, and was discharged September 19, 1862. He re-enlisted September 7, 1864, in Company F, Two Hundred and Tenth Pennsylvania Volunteers, served until the close of the war, and was honorably discharged. He has held the offices of supervisor, auditor and school director of Oswayo township. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, Equitable Aid Union, and of the Knights of Labor; politically he is a Democrat. 


ANSEL T. SMITH, grocer, Oswayo, was born in Cortland county, N. Y., November 30,1822, a son of Walker and Sarah (Taylor) Smith, who settled in Ulysses, Potter Co., Penn., in 1838, where they cleared and improved a farm and reared a family of ten children, eight of whom grew to maturity: Ansel T., Arnold W., Parmeno A., Joshua T., Walker O., Sarah A. (Mrs. Sherman Lane), Delana (Mrs. Horace Chandler) and Esther A. (Mrs. Buck). Ansel T. Smith was sixteen years of age when he settled with his parents in Ulysses township. He followed blacksmithing for a number of years, and for eight years was a local preacher of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He located in Oswayo in 1869, where he carried on a blacksmith shop for several years. Since 1886 be has been engaged in the grocery business. He has been twice married; his first wife was Sarah, daughter of John and Sarah Reed, of Eulalia, this county, and they had two children: Nathan L. and William W. His present wife was Savina Brown, of Ulysses. Mr. Smith is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and politically he is a Prohibitionist. 


1192

DAVID E. SMITH, stationary engineer, Oswayo, was born in Chenango county, N. Y., April 22, 1847, a son of David D. and Mary B. (Gray) Smith. His father was a native of Rutland, Vt., and his mother of Danbury, Conn. They settled in Oswayo township, Potter Co., Penn., in 1851, where his father engaged in lumbering for two years, then embarked in farming, at which he continued until his death in October, 1863. He was the father of seven children, five of whom grew to maturity, viz.; Thomas, Robert, Joanna (Mrs. James W. Chase), Frederick and David E. David D. Smith cleared a large farm in Oswayo, and during the time made more improvements, considering his means, than any man in the community. He erected, in 1856, the largest barn then in the county, and was a prominent and representative citizen. David E. Smith was reared in Oswayo from five years of age, and received a good common-school education. He has followed the occupation of stationary engineer for twenty years, and, since 1879, has been in the employ of J. J. Lapham & Co., as engineer in their Oswayo tannery. He married, in 1872, Joanna, daughter of James B. and Jane (Steele) Carmer, of Hebron, this county. They have six children: James, Elmer, Gertrude, Mary, Amasa and Jennie. Politically Mr. Smith is independent; he is a member of the Masonic fraternity. 

CHRISTOPHER J. TUBBS, furniture dealer, Oswayo, was born in Woodhull, Steuben Co., N. Y., August 29, 1831, a son of Levi and Electa B. (Colvin) Tubbs, natives of Cortland and Herkimer counties, N. Y., respectively, and pioneers of Steuben Co., N. Y. The father of Levi was a native of Vermont. The father of Electa B. Tubbs was born in Rhode Island, and her mother in Connecticut. Christopher J. Tubbs was reared in his native county, where he secured a common-school education and learned the carpenter's trade. In 1849 he located in Hector, Potter county, where he worked as a journeyman for four years. He then returned to Steuben county, N. Y., remaining there until August, 1858, when he returned to Ulysses, Potter Co., Penn., and worked on a church until April, 1859, when he went to Conneautville, Crawford Co., Penn., where he worked at his trade until the last of November. He next went to Ceres, McKean county, and worked at his trade until October 17,1861, when he enlisted in Company F, Fifty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served four years, four months and ten days, and was honorably discharged at Philadelphia February 27, 1866. He then returned to Ceres and worked at his trade one year, then removed to Annin township, McKean county, where he lived three years, thence to Port Allegany, and a year later to Roulette, Potter Co., where he spent seven years. In 1881, he located at Oswayo, where he now resides, and has conducted a furniture store since 1884. He was married, July 4, 1866, to Laura A., daughter of Thomas and Catherine W. H. (Bacon) McDonald, of Sharon, this county, and they have two children: Catherine J. and Lena A. Mr. Tubbs is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church; is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the G. A. R., and in politics he is a Republican. 


WILLIAM H. TURNER, physician, Oswayo, was born in Elmira, N. Y., October 4,1829, a son of David and Elizabeth (Atwood) Turner, and is of French and Scotch descent. His parents settled in Bingham township about 1835, where his father purchased a timber lot, erected a saw mill and engaged in lumbering for about fifteen years, when he removed to Crawford county. Penn. He died in 1849, of cholera, while on a visit to Iowa. William H. was reared in Bingham township until fifteen years of age He then located at Whitesville, N. Y., and afterward attended school at Alfred N Y., one year. In 1846 he began the study of medicine with Dr. J. G. Horton, of Whitesville, N. Y., and in August, 1849, entered Castleton Medical College, Castleton, Vt., from which he graduated in the spring of 1850. He began the practice of his profession at Ellisburg, this county, in 1852 where he remained one year, and then practiced two years in Oswayo, when he removed to Andrews Settlement in Allegheny township, where he remained until 1871, when he returned to Oswayo, where he has since been in active practice. He was married August 6, 1854, to Spiddie W., daughter of Thomas and Jane (Carson) Gilliland, of Hebron township, and they have five children Robert. Bennie, Edgar, Emma (Mrs. Frank Gee) and Lizzie. Dr. Turner is a prominent physician, has an extensive practice, and is a member of the Potter county Medical Society. In politics he is a Republican. 


1193

WALTER WELLS, general merchant, Oswayo, was born in Oswayo township, Potter Co., Penn., February 25, 1836, a son of John and Folly (Potter) Wells, natives of Petersburg,Rensselaer Co., N. Y., who settled in Oswayo township in 1832. His father was a carpenter by trade, but, after settling in Potter county, spent most of his life in farming and lumbering. He erected a saw-mill in Oswayo, and did an extensive business. His family consisted of four daughters and one son, viz.; Esther (Mrs. Stallman Green), Sardinia (Mrs. Isaac Pierce), Sally Ann (Mrs. Perry Potter), Wealthy (Mrs. Charles H. Simmons) and Walter. Walter Wells was reared in Oswayo, where most of his life has been spent. He began life as a farmer and lumberman, and for twenty-two years has been engaged in the mercantile business at Oswayo. He married, November 13,1858, Sarah M., daughter of Eleazer and Mary E. (Hollister) Lyman, of Oswayo, formerly of Vermont. They have four children:Arthur G., Ernest L., Myrtle W. and J. Walter. Mr. Wells served as sheriff of Potter county from 1875 to 1878; was postmaster of Oswayo in 1872-73, and from 1879 until the present time, still holding the office. He has held nearly all the local offices of the township. Politically he is a Republican. 



If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact me at:

Painted Hills

This page is maintained by the PHGS
 Last Update April 9, 2009

© 2002-2009 by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society
Main | Email Us | Look-Ups | Members Family Pages
Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer