Biographies from Bingham Township, Potter Co., PA

Submitted by Barb Hyde

Return to Potter Index


ZERA O. BACON, farmer, P.O. Genesee Fork, was born in Wellsville, N.Y., March 12, 1837, a son of Ira and Naomi (Bennett) Bacon, who settled in Bingham township in 1843, on the farm now occupied by Zera O., where they died. They had eleven children, viz.: Franklin, Emily (Mrs. James Briggs), Henry, Feedus, Barbara (Mrs. Asahel Lewis), Zera O., Willard, David, Amanda (Mrs. Henry Silvus), Ira and John. Zera O. Bacon was reared in Bingham township from the age of six years, and has lived on the old homestead, most of which he cleared and improved. He married Lucinda, daughter of George and Angeline (Porter) Keech, of Madison county, N.Y., and they have five children, viz.: Jennie (Mrs. Simeon Boon) Wallace, Bessie, Lizzie and Ira. Mr. Bacon is a Republican in politics, and is a representative farmer and citizen.


ABEL BISHOP, farmer, P.O., Genesee Fork, was born in Cattaraugus county, N.Y., November 28, 1842 a son of George W. and Cyrene (Wedge) Bishop. He was reared in his native county, and in 1869 settled in Bingham township, where he has since resided. He was twice married, his first wife being Angeline, daughter of Caleb and Angeline (Wilson) Lewis, of Independence, N.Y., and grand-daughter of Abram Lewis, a pioneer of that township. They had two children, Bertha (Mrs. Dennis Hill) and Fred. Mr. Bishop's second wife was Mary, daughter of William and Lucy (Howe) Spencer, of Bingham township. Mr. Bishop is a representative farmer and citizen; in politics he is a Republican.


ASAHEL H. BRIGGS, farmer, clergyman and dealer in agricultural implements, P.O. North Bingham was born in Bingham township, Potter Co., Penn., February 19, 1840, a son of Ebenezer P. and Lydia (Matteson) Briggs, his father a native of Dutchess county, N.Y., and his mother of Madison county, N.Y. His paternal grandfather was Job Briggs, formerly of Dutchess county, N.Y., and among the pioneers of Bingham township. He was a farmer and mechanic and resided in the township until his death. Four of his sons were pioneers of Bingham township, named as follows: David S., Ebenezer P., Vose P. and Uriah S. His father Ebenezer P., settled in Bingham township in 1826, and cleared and improved the farm now owned by his sons A.H. and J.M., and Eli Hall. He drew the lumber for his first residence twenty-two miles with an ox team. His children were four in number, as follows: Martin D., James M., Emily (Mrs. L.E. McCarn) and Asahel H. A.H. Briggs was reared in his native township, and now occupies a part of the old homestead. He was ordained a minister of the Christian Church, and has been a member of the Advent Christian Conference of Northern Pennsylvania since its organization in 1871. He married, July 3, 1858, Sarah M., daughter of John and Thankful (Turner) Potter, of Independence, N.Y., and they have two children: Ione G. and Martin G. Mr. Briggs is a representative citizen of the county. Politically he is an advocate of Prohibition.


CHARLES M. BURT, farmer, P.O. North Bingham, was born in Ulysses, Potter Co., Penn., September 4, 1846, a son of Titus W. and Elizabeth (Lewis) Burt. His paternal grandfather was Anson I. Burt, a native of the Mohawk Valley, N.Y., and among the pioneers of Ulysses township, where he cleared and improved a farm on which he lived and died. His wife was Betsey Blackmer, by whom he had the following children: Sally (Mrs. William Canfleld), James, William, Laura, Betsey (Mrs. Charles Monroe), Titus and Kate (Mrs. Thomas Parker). The maternal grandfather was Seth Lewis, also a pioneer of Ulysses. Titus W. Burt was a native of Broome county, N.Y., and was reared in Ulysses from nine years of age. He cleared and improved a farm there and is now a resident of Lewisville. He served one term as member of the assembly from this district, and is a prominent citizen. His children are Charles M., Anson S., Marion (Mrs. Charles E. Hosley), Clarence E., Arthur S, Kate (Mrs. John F. Stone). Charles M. Burt was reared in Ulysses, and after attaining his majority engaged in farming for himself. In 1869 he located in Bingham township on the farm he now occupies, part of which he cleared and made all the improvements in the erection of present buildings. In June, 1867, he married Kate, daughter of Isaac and Nancy (Colvin) Jones, early settlers of Bingham township, and they have two children, Titus M. and Carl C. Mr. Burt is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Politically he is a Democrat and an advocate of Prohibition.


IRA. B. CARPENTER, farmer, P.O. Bingham Centre, was born in Dryden, Tompkins Co., N.Y., March 27, 1823, a son of Barber and Eleanor (Bronson) Carpenter, natives of Massachusetts, who settled in Bingham township in 1838, on the farm now owned and occupied by our subject, and resided in the township until their death. They had eleven children who grew to maturity: Theodorus, William, Melissa (Mrs. Peter Teeter), Selden, Mary (Mrs. Francis Drake), Bethiah (Mrs. Amos R. Lewis), Matilda (Mrs. G.W. Lewis), Arvilla (Mrs. Alonzo Mudge), Irena (Mrs. Wm. Knapp), Ira B. and Cordelia (Mrs. S.K. Niles). Ira B. Carpenter was sixteen years of age when he came to Bingham township, and he now occupies the old homestead of his father, which he assisted in clearing and improving. He was married September 8, 1845, to Mary A., daughter of David and Margaret (Gibson) Baldwin, of Hector, this county, by whom he had six children who grew to maturity: Selden, Sarah (Mrs. Dr. E.S. Mattison), Eugene, Roselle, Elma (Mrs. Chas. Allen) and Della (Mrs. Fowler Lewis). Mr. Carpenter was in the Civil war, drafted September 29, 1864, and was assigned to Company D, Fifty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was honorably discharged June 16, 1865. He has been justice of the peace of Bingham township twenty-four years, and has held other minor offices. His commissions for the office of justice have been signed by five different governors for five successive terms. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. In politics he is a Republican.


GAYLORD E. COLVIN, farmer, P.O. North Bingham, was born in Bingham township, Potter Co., Penn., January 11, 1854, a son of George W. and Adelia (Nichols) Colvin. His paternal grandparents were Joshua and Dorothea (Castler) Colvin, who settled in Bingham township in 1833, and cleared and improved a farm. They afterward removed to Cook county, Ill., where they died. His maternal grandparents were Samuel and Nabby (Chase) Nichols, pioneers of Eldred, McKean Co., Penn. George W. Colvin was reared in Bingham township from nine years of age. He cleared and improved the farm now occupied by G.E. Colvin, and for a number of years was engaged in lumbering in Sharon township, Potter county. He is now a resident of North Bingham. He held the office of commissioner of Potter county two terms, and is a respected and prominent citizen. His children were Ann (Mrs. William G. Raymond) and Gaylord E. The latter resides on and conducts the old homestead. He married, October 10, 1877, Hattie, daughter of Harmon P. and Jane (Millard) Matson, of Woodhull, Steuben Co., N.Y. Mr. Colvin is a representative young farmer of Bingham township, and in politics he is a Republican.


AUSTIN C. CRUM, farmer, P.O. West Bingham, was born in Caroline, Tompkins Co., N.Y., September 18, 1826, a son of Lyman and Bathsheba (Stevens) Crum. His father, who was a farmer, cooper and carpenter, settled in Bingham township in 1840, where he resided until his death. He had a family of nine children: Lyman R.S., Lillis (Mrs. Orrin Ennis), Sally (Mrs. Henry Wilmuth), Harriet (Mrs. G.M. Perry), Clark, Julia (Mrs. Moses Hackett), Truman, Waite and Austin C. The last named was thirteen years of age when he came with his father to Bingham township. He cleared a part of the farm he now occupies and part of another. In 1847 he married Mary, daughter of Dexter and Alma (Bronson) Barnes, of Bingham township, and to them have been born four children: Mary D. (Mrs. John E. Harvey), Clark, Cirelda (Mrs. Sylvester Sherman) and Morris D. Mr. Crum is a well-known and respected citizen. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics he is a Republican, and has held the office of school director.


JOHN DANIELS, miller, P.O. Ulysses, was born in Bingham township, Potter Co., Penn., August 8, 1842, a son of George W. and Achsah (Hawley) Daniels, who settled in that township in 1827. He was reared in his native township, where for many years, he was engaged in farming. He had been following his present business two years, and operates the oldest grist-mill in Potter county. He was a soldier in the war of the Rebellion, enlisting in Company I, One Hundred and Eighty-ninth New York Infantry, and served one year, when he was honorably discharged. He married Maria, daughter of Ephraim Utter, of Tioga county, Penn.


WILLIAM DANIELS was born in Bingham township, Potter Co., Penn., December 12, 1844, a son of George W. and Achsah (Hawley) Daniels, who settled in that township in 1827. His maternal grandfather was Solomon Hawley, a native of Connecticut, who settled in Bingham township in 1827. William Daniels was reared in his native township, and April 1, 1862, enlisted in Company F, Fifty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers. He was wounded at the battle of Chapin' s Farm; September 29, 1864, and was honorably discharged from the service April 20, 1865. After the war he engaged in farming in Bingham township, which he followed up to 1880. He then embarked in the grocery business at Lewisville with


G. H. COBB, and a year later purchased his partner' s interest, conducting the business alone for a short time, when he sold out. He then opened a clothing store in same town, the first exclusive establishment of the kind in the place, which he conducted two years. He then traveled for an Elmira commercial house for two years, and afterward again engaged in mercantile business in Lewisville for one and a half years. January 14, 1866, he married Ellen H., daughter of John and Martha (Lewis) Harris, of Lewisville, and they have two children: M. Inez and Henry H. Mr. Daniels is a well-known citizen of Potter county, and is a member of the F. & A.M. and G.A.R. In politics he is a Republican.


JEROME HARVEY, farmer, P.O. West Bingham, was born in Triangle, Broome Co., N.Y., May 11, 1825, a son of Joseph and Rhoda (Baker) Harvey, who settled in Bingham township in 1847, locating on the farm now owned and occupied by their son, Jerome, which, with his assistance, he cleared and improved. Mr. Harvey was reared in his native county, being twenty-two years of age when he accompanied his father to Potter county. He participated in the Civil war, being drafted in October, 1864, in Company D, Fifty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was honorably discharged in September, 1865. He was twice married: His first wife was Adeline Saxton, of Broome county, N.Y., and his second wife was Cynthia Greene, of the same county. Mr. Harvey is a representative farmer and citizen of Bingham township. He has held the offices of road commissioner and school director, and has also been postmaster of West Bingham. In politics he is independent.


DAVID T. HAUBER, farmer and lumberman, P.O. North Bingham, was born in West Union, Steuben Co. N.Y., November 29, 1835, a son of John and Jane Hauber. His paternal grandfather was Frederick Hauber, and his maternal grandfather was Guy Hauber, both from the Mohawk Valley, N.Y., and among the first settlers of West Union, N.Y. David T. Hauber, was reared in his native town, began life as a farmer, and resided there up to 1870, when he removed to Bingham township, locating on the Hiram Ives farm, a good share of which he cleared, and made most of the improvements, erecting all the commodious farm buildings. He resided there until 1887, when he purchased the farm he now occupies at North Bingham, the best located and one of the finest and best farms in the township, where he has since resided. Besides the two places above mentioned, he owns the James Burt farm, a part of which he also cleared, and on which he erected a large barn, 40x50 feet in dimensions. Although not an old settler, Mr. Hauber has probably done as much toward the development of Bingham township as any other citizen, and, besides attending to his farm interests, has been engaged in lumbering more or less since 1883. He married, in 1865, Eugertha, daughter of Alvin and Alvina (Horton) Chapin, of West Union, N.Y., and they have three children: Blanche, Mary and Giles. Mr. Hauber was in the Civil war, enlisting August 22, 1862; he became corporal in Company H, One Hundred and Forty-first New York Volunteer Infantry, was promoted to second sergeant, and honorably discharged June 26, 1865. He is a prominent and progressive farmer, is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Grand Army of the Republic and of the Masonic fraternity. He has been supervisor and school director of the township for nine years. Politically he is a Republican.


JOHN HENRY, farmer, P.O. Ulysses, was born in Luzerne county, Penn., December 31, 1818, a son of Christian and Barbara (Whaner) Henry, who settled in Bingham township in 1842, remained there about three years, and then removed to Livingston county, N.Y., where he died in 1846, his wife surviving him till the year 1886, when she died at the residence of her son, John Henry, in Bingham township, Potter Co., Penn. John Henry settled in Bingham township in 1842, and cleared and improved the farm he now occupies. He was married, December 8, 1844, to Susan A., daughter of Joshua and Polley (Rome) Thompson, who settled in Bingham township in 1824. By this union there were five children born: George, Andrew J., Charles, Betsey (Mrs. J.C. Hawley) and Caroline (Mrs. James E. Mulford). Mr. Henry is a prominent citizen of Bingham township, is a member of the Free Will Baptist Church;. he is a Democrat, and has held the offices of supervisor and school director.


ASAHEL B. HOWE, farmer, P.O. Spring Mills, N.Y., was born in Lansing, Tompkins Co., N.Y., May 30, 1816, a son of Isaac and Betsey (Buck) Howe, who located in Bingham township, Potter Co., Penn., in 1832, and a year later settled on the farm now occupied by Asahel B., which, with the assistance of their sons was cleared and improved, and here the parents lived until their death. Timothy Howe, paternal grandfather of subject, was a pioneer of the Mohawk Valley, N.Y., a soldier of the Revolution, and an early settler of Lansing, N.Y., where he resided until his death. His maternal grandfather, Benjamin Buck, was also a pioneer of Lansing, N.Y. A.B. Howe is a prominent and well-known citizen of Bingham township, having resided on the old homestead since 1833.


RUFUS H. HOWE, farmer and merchant, P.O. Bingham Centre, was born in Lansing, Tompkins Co., N.Y., January 7, 1823, a son of Isaac and Betsey (Buck) Howe, who settled in Bingham township, Potter Co., Penn., in 1832, on the farm now owned by Asahel B. and Laverne Howe, which, with the assistance of their sons, they cleared and improved, making it their home until death. Their children were Asahel B., Simeon P.B., Lucy (Mrs. Wm. Spencer), Rufus H., Susan (Mrs. Martin V. Briggs), William, Nelson (who died of disease contracted in the army), Jane A. and Sally A. Rufus H. Howe was reared in Bingham township from nine years of age. In the fall of 1844 he purchased the farm he now occupies, and has cleared, and improved it besides other farms, in the vicinity. He has worked at the carpenter's trade more or less since he was seventeen years of age, and has erected a great many buildings in Bingham, also in Independence, N.Y. For a number of years he operated a saw-mill and manufactured considerable lumber. He was a soldier in the Civil war, having been drafted February 21, 1865, and went out with Company E, Ninety-ninth Pennsylvania Veterans. He was at the front before Petersburg, witnessed Lee' s surrender, and was honorably discharged July 8, 1865. He was twice married; his first wife was Caroline, daughter of Herman and Betsey (Lewis) Ainsworth, of Independence, N.Y., by whom he had two children: Clinton E. and Alice C. (Mrs. John Holbert), His present wife was Luthera Bishop, of Independence, N.Y. Mr. Howe engaged in the mercantile business at Bingham Centre, before the war, which he has since continued. He is a member of the First Baptist Church of Bingham. In politics he is a Republican.


LEVI B. LEWIS, farmer, P.O. Bingham Centre, was born in Bingham township, September 4, 1836, a son of Amos R. and Bethiah (Carpenter) Lewis. who settled in Bingham township in 1834, locating on the farm now owned by David T. Hauber, a part of which they cleared and improved. In 1839 they settled at Bingham Centre and cleared and improved the farm now occupied by Levi B., where the father died in December, 1873, in the sixty-eighth year of his age. They had six children who grew to maturity, viz.: Lurinda (Mrs. Russell Grover), Alvin P., Levi B., Elonzo, Oscar and Rachel (Mrs.Jared Thompson). Levi B. Lewis was reared in his native township, and has always followed farming as an occupation. He was a soldier in the Civil war, enlisting March 31, 1864, in Company G, Fifty-third Pennsylvania Regiment; was in the battle of the Wilderness, and was wounded at Spottsylvania, May 12, 1864, where he was taken prisoner and sent to Libby prison; was paroled August 24, 1864, exchanged at Annapolis, and rejoined his regiment in November, 1864. He was honorably discharged June 16, 1865. Mr. Lewis was married May 9, 1859, to Sarah, daughter of George and Eliza (Burt) Ransow, of Bingham township, and they have three children: Frank, Fowler and Selden. Mr. Lewis has been postmaster of Bingham Centre since 1872, succeeding his father, who had held the office for twenty years. He is a member of the G.A.R. and I.O.O.F; is one of the auditors of Potter county, to which office he was elected in 1887, and has held the office of township clerk seventeen years. In politics he is a Democrat.


SAMUEL MUNROE, farmer, P.O. Ulysses, was born in Washington county, N.Y., September 16, 1815, a son of Garner and Rosanna (McAllister) Munroe, who settled in Tioga county, Penn., in 1821. Samuel Munroe was reared in Tioga county, Penn., from the age of six years. He settled in Bingham township, Potter county, in 1839, and in 1842 located on the farm he now occupies, most of which he cleared and improved, and where he has since resided. He has been married twice. His, first wife was Mariam, daughter of John and Susanna (Salisbury) Howland, of Tioga county, Penn., and his second and present wife is Susan, sister of his first. Mr. Munroe's uncle, Ashbel Munroe, settled in Bingham township in 1826, cleared and improved the Ferris farm, and died there. He had two daughters. Mr. Munroe is a prominent and successful farmer, and has served one term as commissioner of Potter county. Politically he is a Republican.


JOEL L. RAYMOND, farmer, P.O. North Bingham, was born in Hinsdale, Berkshire Co., Mass., March 2, 1816, a son of William G. and Betsey (Freeland) Raymond, who settled in Bingham township, Potter Co., Penn., in 1837, and died there. They had a family of nine children: Maria (Mrs. Lyman Blackmer), Persus J. (Mrs. Squire Rightmyer), William P., Joel L., Hannah M. (Mrs. John Robbins), Mary C. (Mrs. Ebenezer Huntington), John G., Julia A. (deceased wife of John Smith, also deceased) and Eliza (Mrs. Charles Grover).
Joel L. was reared in Berkshire, Tioga Co., N.Y., and settled in Bingham township in 1837. He cleared and improved a farm of 200 acres, besides other farms, and has resided at North Bingham since 1876. His paternal grandfather, Amos Raymond, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and a pioneer of Allegheny township, this county, where he died at the advanced age of ninety-six years. Joel L. Raymond was twice married. His first wife was Jane Searles of Tioga county, N.Y., and his second wife was Lydia M., daughter of David and Lydia (Lyman) Grover, of Bingham township, by whom he had eight children: Jane (Mrs. Norman W. Lewis), Minerva (Mrs. L.P. Lewis), Louis (Mrs. A.H. Cobb), William G., Pauline (Mrs. E.W. Reynolds), Ruth (Mrs. George Cobb), John L. and Grace (Mrs. N.J. Peck). Mr. Raymond is a member of the Baptist Church. He is a prominent and leading citizen, is a Democrat, and has served one term as treasurer of Potter county. He is descended from an old American family, his paternal grandfather having fought at White Plains, Stony Point, and assisted in the capture of Gen. Burgoyne. The parents of Joel L. Raymond were married by Rev. John Leeland, of Massachusetts.


AMASA ROBBINS, retired, P.O. Genesee Fork, was born in Marcellus, N.Y., December 2, 1807, a son of David and Mercy (Burleigh) Robbins, who settled in Independence, N.Y., in 1825. His father was a soldier in the war of 1812, and died in Bingham township; his family consisted of nine children, as follows: Marcia (Mrs. Comfort Felt), Amasa, Phebe (Mrs. Ephraim Slade), Almira (Mrs. Clark Lewis), David, John, James G., Laban and Ira. Amasa Robbins settled in Bingham township in 1834, locating on the farm now owned by M.D. Briggs, part of which .he cleared and improved. He then settled on what is known as the Parker farm, clearing forty acres there, and in 1857 located on the farm he now occupies, all of which he cleared and improved, and where he has since resided. He was married October 12, 1830, to Electa, daughter of John G. and Phebe R. (Slocum) Huyler, of Tioga county, Penn. John G. Huyler was a soldier in the Revolution. Mr. and Mrs. Robbins have had six children named as follows: Mercy C. (Mrs. Edgar Peet), Eliza J. (Mrs. Dwight Genung), Zilipha A., James B., Rachel (Mrs. Alonzo Race) and Hannah E. (Mrs. David Peet). Mr. Robbins chopped 116 acres of timber by the job, before he was married, and as much more since. He is one of the oldest citizens of the township. In. politics he is a Democrat.


ORA THOMPSON, farmer, P; O. Bingham Centre, was born in New Jersey, April 16, 1818, a son of Joshua and Polly (Romer) Thompson, who settled in Bingham township in 1824, locating on the farm now owned by Wilson Gee, which they cleared and improved, and resided in the township until their death. They had a family of eight children: Maria (Mrs. Ichabod Graham), Ora, Sally (Mrs. Sidney Abbott), Alvah, Susan A. (Mrs. John Henry), Wilbert, Clark and Milton. Ora Thompson was reared in Bingham township from the age of six years. In 1839 he settled on the farm he now occupies, all of which he cleared and improved. In 1845 he married Julia, daughter of Ezekiel and Mary (Cartwright) Lane, and to them have been born eight children: Levi J., Mary A. (Mrs. A. C. Evans), Angelia (Mrs. L. Merritt), Melissa (Mrs. Charles Henry), Byron, Lottie (Mrs. Wm. Sherman), Chandler and Grant. Mr. Thompson is one of the oldest residents of Bingham township, and is a prominent farmer. Politically he is a Republican.


LEVI J. THOMPSON, farmer, P.O. Bingham Centre, was born in Bingham township, September 19, 1845, a son of Ora and Julia (Lane) Thompson. His paternal grandfather was Joshua Thompson, who settled in Bingham in 1824, and his maternal grandfather was Ezekiel Lane. Levi was reared and educated in his native township, and after the breaking out of the Civil war enlisted, February 5, 1864, and, was assigned to Company G, Fifty-third Pennsylvania Regiment. He participated in the Wilderness campaign, and lost his right arm at the battle of Spottsylvania May 12, 1864. He was honorably discharged from the service January 5, 1865. He located on the farm he now occupies, in 1865, a good share of which he cleared and improved. He has been twice married. His first wife was Rachel, daughter of Amos R. and Bethiah (Carpenter) Lewis, of Bingham township, by whom he had the following children: Iva, Addie, Lula and Asa. His second wife is Ada, daughter of Benjamin R. and Lorinda (Lewis) Grover, of Bingham township, and they have four children: Lillie, Grace, Asahel and Clara. Mr. Thompson is a representative citizen, and has held several of the local offices of the township. In politics he is a Republican.


AARON S. WORDEN, P.O. Ulysses, was born April 19, 1847, in Bingham township, Potter county, on the farm he now owns and occupies, a son of Charles and Clarissa (Bice) Worden. His paternal grandfather, Benjamin Worden, formerly of Otsego county, N.Y., settled in Bingham township, Potter Co., Penn., in 1831, and made this his home until his death. His maternal grandfather, John A. Bice, settled in the same township in 1838. Charles Worden came to Bingham township when ten years of age, in 1831, and in 1842 settled on a farm now owned by his son, Aaron S., which he cleared and improved, living there until his death. His children were Erastus S. (who died in New York City at the close of the late war, of disease contracted in the army), Ephraim S., Aaron S., Charles V. (deceased), Emma (Mrs. Alonzo Howe) and Ella (Mrs. Charles Stillman, of Ulysses). A. S. Worden was reared in Bingham township, and has owned and occupied the old homestead since his marriage, September 22, 1869, to Mary A., daughter of John L. and Electa (Webster) Van Deboe, of Otsego county, N.Y. Mr. and Mrs. Worden have one daughter, M. Alma. Mr. Worden is a leading farmer and a breeder of Devon cattle and Percheron horses. Politically he is a Republican.


If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact me at:

Painted Hills

This page is maintained by the PHGS
 Last Update April 9, 2009

© 2002-2009 by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society
Main | Email Us | Look-Ups | Members Family Pages
Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer