Click on the buttons
below the thumbnails
to see larger pictures.
To view photos
you must have Java enabled
on your browser.
News of the coming of the Palmer Window Glass plant came in the following year and brought with it an influx of people seeking employment. The plant , which had been attracted to "Shingle House" by the abundance of glass sand and natural gas in the area, officially opened at Midnight on January 2, 1902 with the blowing of the plant's triple whistle. Many local residents braved the dark and stormy weather to be on hand to watch Mr. Warren Glymph blow the first glass in "Shingle House".
The town, which had originally consisted of only Water, Oswayo and Honeoye Streets, with Academy Street ending at the old School House (later the Odd Fellows Hall), suddenly found itself with an" up town" and "down town" as businesses and dwellings sprang up around the new glass plant and the Railroad Station. A February, 1902 edition of the OSWAYO VALLEY MAIL, reported that " there are now 10 business places in the new part of town near the railroad station. The original part of "Shingle House" was composed of 30 business places, with the distance between the two parts just a half mile. During the past year 55 dwellings and 12 new businesses were erected."
The population doubled in two years time. It was also around this time that the Olean Street Railway Company came to "Shingle House," operating an electric trolley line between the two communities. This was the only trolley line ever operated in Potter County, and had much to do with the close ties that have existed between those two communities ever since.
The major industries are gone from Shinglehouse today, and many of the residents commute to Olean and Wellsville, N.Y. for work. It has become, once again, a quiet little community where life moves by a comfortable pace: "Gods Country," Pa.
WHO WON THE FIRST BORO
CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT?
All photos were scanned by me from various sources, including
This page is maintained by the PHGS
Last Update December 21, 2002
© 2002 by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society
| Our Mission
| Email Us | Membership
| News and
Events | Members
Family Pages |
Other PHGS Links | Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer |