Shinglehouse, Potter Co., Pa.
Submitted by PHGS Member Mike Henderson
|"History of the Counties of McKean, Elk, Cameron and Potter, Pennsylvania,
with Biographical Selections", J.H.Beers & Co., Chicago 1890. Page 990
"It is claimed that Thomas Butler, a deserter from the British Army, was the first to settle in the wilds of Potter, but at what date he came or departed is unknown to the writer. The first settlement of which we have any date, and which probably was the first bona fide settlement, was that of a Frenchman by the name of Jaundrie, who, "in 1806, settled on the Oswayo at a point now called Shinglehouse. He built a house on the south bank of Oswayo creek, at the mouth of the run which still bears his name. The house was sided with shingles, put on like roofing, and the butts of the same were rounded to a half circle. From that house the place (Shinglehouse) took and retained its name." [L.H. Kinney, Sharon Township.]"
|"History of the Counties of McKean, Elk, Cameron and Potter, Pennsylvania, with Biographical Selections", J.H.Beers & Co., Chicago 1890. Pages 1130-1135|
SHARON TOWNSHIP is the extreme northwestern thirty-six square miles of this county. Except a small group of Catskill hills west of Goldsmith corners or Honeoye, and a small area of that formation in the southeast corner, the township is occupied by the Chemung lands. Prof. Sherwood, in speaking of the township, says:
"The Chemung belt, occupying the center of the township, is about five miles wide--Eleven-mile run bordering it on the south, and Honeoye creek on the north. Butter creek joins the Honeoye at Goldsmith corners, within half a mile of the New York line. A mile down Heneoye creek lies the village of East Sharon. At the junction of Honeoye creek, with the Oswayo, lies the village of Shinglehouse. Sharon Center is on the Oswayo, three miles above Shinglehouse; and Millport, on the Oswayo, is two miles above Sharon Center. This unusual number of villages in the township shows the agricultural qualities of the Chemung plain. The Catskill surface is also susceptible of cultivation, so that the whole township may be considered as fit for agriculture."
The Oswayo, rising in Genesee and adjoining townships, receives Eleven-mile creek near Millport, and flows in a fairly direct course northwest into McKean county. Eleven-mile creek rises in the northeast of Oswayo township, flows along the southern border of the Chemung formation in Oswayo to its mouth. Honeoye creek rises in New York State, northeast of Goldsmith Corners, and, flowing southwest, enters the Oswayo northwest of Shinglehouse. Butter and Centre creeks, in the northeast, offer drainage to that section, while a hundred little feeders of the streams named leave no part of the township without water or drainage. The boutlders northeast of Sharon Center have been placed there by a freak of nature. Near East Sharon are the gray sandstone and the fossiliferous sandstone flags, while along the Eleven-mile and Honeoye runs may be seen Chemung and Catskill rocks. Near the State line are the white sandstone quarries, also on the Lane farm and in a few other localities. The stone crumbles into fitie white sand under the pounder, and is excellent for glass-making and building purposes. There are three peculiar depressions on the Lane farm, two of which are water reservoirs. Evidences of excavation are plenty; but nothing is known of the time or people or purpose of such holes. In the neighbourhood arrowheads and stone pipes have been unearthed. Above Shinglehouse a circular ridge is visible, resembling a fort.
O. P. Taylor, who died at Wellsville, N. Y., November 17, 1883, was the pioneer oil operator of the Allegheny field, using the first string of tools, while his neighbors laughed at him. One of the stories related of Taylor's third well at Alma, is that O. P. Taylor had occasion to take the tools to Bradford for repairs; but being without money he sought in vain for friends. On going to his house, his wife told him that she had some money, as she was compelled to sell her watch to purchase necessaries of life, and of the proceeds some remained. This balance she gave her husband, thus enabling him to complete the well and make a fortune.
Some time after the development of the first gas well in Sharon township, and about the year 1880, gas was discovered on the Graham farm. It appears Graham's two boys picked up a flat sandstone on the flats, and, although youths, they discovered the presence of gas. On their father returning in the evening, they reported their discovery, and he at once began the work of controlling the flow. Making a barrel suit the uses of a gas reservoir, he placed a piece of gas pipe in the top, and packed clay round the bottom of this barrel to confine the gas. One of the youths believing the work was complete, took his seat on the top but in a little while the barrel and boy were moved from the spot by the pressure ... In June, 1884 the first producer of the county was struck on the Prince farm, north of Shinglehouse, yielding eighteen barrels in a day This well is still flowing though abandoned long ago . . . . The Standard Oil Company leased a large quantity of land in Sharon and adjoining townships in New York State in 1888, and now have three wells complete at a point northeast of Capt. Kinney's farm, and the work of drilling more wells continues. The reservoir is just south of the line.
Sharon township in 1880, was credited with 1,055 inhabitants, of whom forty-nine resided in Millport, and thirty-five in Sharon Center. In 1888 there were 148 Republican, 80 Democratic 29 Prohibition and 33 Union Labor votes cast, representitig 1,450 inhabitants. The number of tax-payers was 424, and value of property assessed, $64,883. The seated tax-payers in 1832 were Richard Allen (blacksmith, in Clara), T. W. David and Jonathan Brown (in Clara), Sheldon Bradley, William and George R. Barber, Daniel Benson (near the Hickox mill), Lewis Baldin, G. Chappel, Milton and Moses Chappel, Avery Coon, Louis H. D'Aubigney (N. R.), Abel Eastman,Harvy Fisk, (farmer above the center), Mary Gilbert, William Lester, Elisha, Ovid and Theo. Mix (lumberers and farmers), Milton Main, Luther Molby, Sheffield Main, Erastus Mulkins (whose grandson is postmaster at Shinglehouse), A. D. Nichols, M. McCord, Bridge & Co. (saw-mill owners on the Honeoye, afterward owned by James H. Wright), Thomas Peabody, George Sherman (now living, voted for Van Buren in 1840), Sam. Stetson, Joseph Stillman, John Scott (went west), Aaron Stuirgis, William Shattuck (now residing in Hebron township), Milo Smith, Matt Standish, Joel Woodworth, Bartlet Ward, Ashbel West, Ira A. Wicks, Joseph Rew (saw- and grist-mill owner where T. J. Burdic later built a mill now standing at Sharon Center), Joel H. Rose (merchant), John Row, Ira Young, Benjamin Hall (where Capt. Kinney resides), O. G. Perry, N. Daton, Willard M. Toner, John White, James Whiting, Noah Crittenden, and Rufus Cole, assessor, one of whose grandsons is now county commissioner. The old McCord mill was purchased nearly a half century ago by Peleg Burdic, and ultimately became the property of A. A. Newton, about 1866, and is still standing. Abiel Sheldon was here in 1846. Jacob Ridgway, Joseph Rew, Nathaniel White, John M. Milizet, Salmon M. Rose, Richard Gernon, John Gordon, Joseph Brush, John Rew, Rensselaer Wright and Andrew Mann paid taxes on unseated lands in 1834.
In 1827 Joseph Fessenden moved from Madison county, N. Y., and built the first house in Millport. He had seven boys: Charles, James, Nathaniel, William, Rodney, Joel and Edmund. The family moved to the Knowlton place in 1828. In 1829 he took all of his family back to Madison county, with the exception of Joel, who went to Sartwell creek. Joel Fessenden is still living, and recalls the time when the settlers were three months at a time without bread, living mostly upon potatoes. He relates how at one time Benj. Burt took a four-ox team, and, loading his wagon with his neighbors' grists, he started for mill, and that after he had started Isaac Lyman said, with much feeling: "When Burt gets back I will have one good meal of bread." The most of the Fessenden boys came back in succeeding years, and are nearly all living at a hale old age with many descendants. Among the settlers of Sharon* in the "forties" were Capt. L. H. Kinney, A. A. Newton, A. S. Newton and Milo Davis, now in California. Nelson C. Newton came about 1848. At this time Lewis Wood, who preached for the Universalists, resided at Sharon Center; Robbins Brown was the blacksmith, and Ezra Graves the carpenter. In 1835 a vacant frame house occupied the site of Sharon Center, and in it I. W. Jones and family took shelter for a short time. Subsequent to 1832 Samuel Pearsall settled between the Center and Shinglehouse. I. W. Jones came in 1835, and in 1837 he was postmaster at a point east of Shinglehouse. Mrs. A. A. Newton, who came with her parents in 1835, does not remember the Rose store, and states that the family had to go to store at Ceres. Willard Jones came early in the "thirties" and entered on the work of building a saw-mill, where grist-mill now is. On his way home from Ceres he was killed during a wind storm. Arad Jones and I. W. Jones built the mill which was burned up forty years ago, and a second mill erected on the site which now adjoins the gristmill which was built fifteen years ago.
The first post-office, Capt. Kinney thinks, was located at Millport. Prior to 1843 the old Sharon office, near Shinglehouse, was established, John Bosworth being then master, succeeding I. W. Jones. At Millport the Oswayo Lumber Company's headquarters (of which Dr. Alma was first, and next W. B. Graves, now of Duke Centre, and Joseph Mann were superintendents) were established, the post-office was there. Shinglehouse was established as a post-office center with G. W. Mosier master, appointed during Pierce's administration. East Sharon office was established later, with Nelson Palmeter master. He held the office many years, in fact up to his removal to Shinglehouse. Orson Sherman is now master. In 1843, when Capt. Kinney came to the township, there were two school buildings -- one above Shinglehouse (Miss Maxon's) and the other at Sharon Center (presided over by Mr. Witter or J. H. Chase). Capt. Kinney was director and examiner. Simon Drake, John Bosworth, William T. Lane, Silas Babbitt and Lorenzo Reynolds were the other directors. In 1843 there was a Universalist society at Sharon Center presided over by Mr. Porter.
One of the peculiar characters of the county who ranged the forests of Potter, and dallied along its trout streams for years, was Lewis Stevens, or the "Wild Boy." which sobriquet he earned by his taste for the solitude of the wildwoods. At one time he lived alone near the headwaters of the East fork, six miles from his nearest neighbor .A small stream emptying into the East fork is still known by the name of the "Wild Boy," from its proximity to the Stevens clearing. Stevens gave up his wild life several years ago. and is now living in Sharon township. For a number of years he preached, and led the life of a traveling thinker. He is said to be an Englishman by birth.
Sharon Center, in the Oswayo Creek valley, stretches along the Shinglehouse road. In 1871 Peleg Burdic's hotel, the Rose store, Graves' carpenter shop and Dodge's yard and shop made up the village.
John M. Dean established the first store on the site of the house now occupied by L. A. Bunker. The store was burned about 1847 and rebuilt in 1848. It is still standing. Jonas Willey, now a resident, worked in this store. Peleg Burdic opened the first hotel, in June, 1861, having begun the erection of this house in 1860. Mr. Dean left before the war, and E. V. Wood carried on the business until after the war, when Allen Glynes took his place; Rose and Dodge followed Glynes; Shear and Simeon Sherwood were also merchants. Contemporary with E. V. Wood, were Newton, Stevens & Nichols, who carried on a store in connection with the saw-mill. Wallace Burdic established his business in 1882, and in 1888 built his large house opposite the hotel.
The Oswayo Lumber Association was organized in Potter county, in 1837, for the purpose of lumbering in that and MeKean counties, with the Le Roy brothers, T. H. Newbold, Wm. H. Morris and Joshua Lathrohi, members. Mr. Newbold was lost on an ocean steamer, and the company disbanded about 1845.
Peleg Burdic was appointed postmaster in 1862, succeeding Ezra Graves: J. M. Dean was the first postmaster.
A post of the G. A. R. was organized here December 4, 1880, with the following named members: L. H. Bailey, 15th N. Y. Cav.; L. H. Kinney, S. J. White, 85th N. Y.; A. A. Stevens, 184th Penn.; Dana Drake, 13th N. Y., Henry Art, W. D. Carpenter, 184th Penn.; W. R. Hallett, 28th Iowa; J. Failing, 141st N. Y.; J. H. Cole, E. A. Graves, 46th Penn.; Peleg Burdic, Jesse Burdic, Jonas Willie, 15th N. Y. Cav.; Seth Drake, 13th N. Y. Art.; J. S. Pearsall, 210th Penn.; M. S. Hitchcock, 9th N. Y. Cav.; J. O. Blauvelt, 1st Penn. Art.; and Joseph Fessenden, 149th Penn. The position of commander was held by S. J. White, for three years; L. H. Kinney, one year; A. J. Barnes, two years, and Asael Christman, two years. E. A. Graves served the post as adjutant for five years, and J. W. Dickinson, for over three years. Dana Drake has been the general quartermaster for over eight years. The membership in 1889 was sixty-five, and value of proporty $200 .
Women's Relief Corps, No.130, was organized with tbe following members: Mesdames Pratt, Nichols, Helen Drake,White, May E. (Dickenson) Barnes, Sarah Graves, Jennette Dickenson, Mary J. Burdic, E. R. J. Hitchcock, Sarah E. Waer, C. A. Lamb, A. Cole, Lina Burdic, Mary E. Cole, M. A. Crocker, M. E. Hallett, M. Livermore, A. V. Torrey, Ann Crandall, M. Christmami and Emilen C. Kimball; Misses F. E. Drake, Nellie Drake, Mary Burdic, Ella Terwilliger. Mrs. Mary E. White is president. and Mrs. Dickenson, secretary.
Millport, at the confluence of Oswayo and Eleven-mile creeks, claimed two saw-mills, R. L. Nichols and Colwell & Chase, general stores, Wm. J. Brown's and G. F. Fuller's lumber yards, Ives' blacksmith shop, Staysa's dwelling and the school house, in 187l. Here was made one of the first settlements. as related above. Today the little village has its gas line and other conveniences of modern times.
Liberty Hall Association of Millport was organized June 15, 1875, for the purpose of building a hall for religious and amusement purposes at Millport. R. L. Nichols was first president, J. L. Allen, secretary, N. W. Herring, G. T. Fuller and J. Stevens, trustees. This hall was completed at once, and is now in use.
The United Brethren Association of Millport was incorporated April 29, 1886, with L. W. Dihble, P. C. Witter, R. C. Witter, Emma E. Densmore, W. A. Bennett, J. L. Lockwood, Orrin Cook, Estella Witter, George Hatch, H. T. Weaverand J. G. Torry, subscribers; Rev. W. A. Bennett was secretary. They meet for worship in Liberty Hall.
A. J. Barnes, Sons & Co.'s general store, and the saw- and shingle-mills form the principal business of the village, while a good hotel stands on the north bank of the creek.
Shinglehouse is named from the fact of a house sided with shingles having been built there in the long ago. From references made to the location in this chapter, as well as in the history of the pioneers, the reader may learn at once of the antiquity of the village. In 1837 a school-house was erected here by the Jones and other pioneer families, and in it Misses Stillman, Clarissa Leroy, of Clara, Miranda Jones and Huldah Nichols presided as teachers. This was not the first school in the township, for in 1830 Miss Elvira Craig taught in Sharon, her school afterward being resided over by Miss Amarilla Maxon, who married Isaac Phelps.
Rev. Mr. Scott is said by Mrs. A. A. Newton to have been the first preacher who visited Sharon. He preached in the school-house near Shinglehouse. The First Seventh Day Baptist Church of Shinglehouse was incorporated in September, 1883, on petition of Edson Warner, J. J. Kenyon and B. O. Burdick. They completed a house the same year. Since that time the Seventh Day Adventists built a house.
The Methodist Church Society of Shinglehouse was incoporated in November, 1885, with L. C. Perry, Zalmon Barnes, W. T Lane, Mrs. Laura Newton and A. J. Remington, trustees. This society contributed toward the building of the Seventh Day Baptist house. The Horse Run Methodist house was completed in 1886, under the superintendence of Rev. Mr. Nye. Among the members are M. A. Nichols and George Day. The membership is large. The Lane Methodist Church was completed in 1889.
The Jones & Newton store, originally established at Shinglehouse corners by Wiley Humphrey, was sold to Benjamin Jones. On the latter's death the widow married A. S. Newton, and the business is carried on under the title of Jones & Newton. The regular business houses of the village comprise George Hickock, billiard and pool tables; C. D. Voorhees, druggist; L. C. Kinner, general store; A. A. Raymond & Co. , hardware; Jones & Newton, general store; L. A. Nichols, furniture store; George W. Dodge, general store.... A good hotel is carried on here, and a large saw-mill near the iron bridge.... The Sharon Gas Company was incorporated January 16, 1884, with V. P. Carter, Daniel Dodge, C. H. Cole and J. J. Roberts, stockholders. They drilled one well, next purchased the old Pearsall well, and supply Shinglehouse .... The Shinglehouse Gas Company located their first well, May 14, 1887, one mile from the village, near the Carr dwelling, which now supplies part of the gas, while G. W. Dodge's wells supply another part .... The Shinglehouse grist-mill was opened in the fall of 1875..... A local board of the N. S. & L. A. of Rochester was organized at Shinglehouse in December, 1889, with Levi H. Kinney, A. A. Mulkin, A. A. Raymond, C. H. Cole, C. D. Voorbees and F. N. Newton, members.
The Methodist Episcopal Church building of Honeoye was dedicated March 2, 1890. The building is 26x44, with a tower 8x8 and 50 feet in height. The total cost was $1,462.
The first post-office at Shinglehouse was established with Moser, postmaster; Ballard succeeded Moser, and after him Reckhow, was appointed. John Vorhees was appointed postmaster in 1870, and held the office until tile appointment of Mr. Mulkins. Henry Edwards was postmaster toward the close of the war, with John Vorhees deputy.
Miscellaneous. ---S. B. Fosler's store at Honeoye, J. A. Kibbe's on the Pennsylvania side of Alma, and Shay & Kinney's at Bell's run, on the line of McKean county, are other business centers. At the latter place Ransom Monger has a pool and billiard room Mr. Lane resides at Alma, four miles above Shinglehouse, in New York State, and has his store there.
The officers of the township, elected in February, 1890, are: Constable,
A. Wolcott; collector, C. A. Wolcott; treasurer, Wallace
Burdic supervisor, N. C. Newton; town clerk, Horace Pratt;
auditor, A. J. Barnes; overseer of the poor, John Henly;
school directors, O. Wells, George Drake; judge of election,
A. Raymond; inspectors of election, W. J. Brown, E. F. McDowell.
"History of Potter County, Pennsylvania," by Victor L. Beebe, 1934, page 57
M. Generet, whose shingled cabin, from which the town of Shinglehouse takes its name, stood just across the line in McKean County. The shingles with which it was covered were what used to be called "shakes, riven, but not shaved, and were pinned with wooden pins to the squared pine timber of which the house was built, nails being scarce and difficult to obtain at that time. This was in 1806. The land warrant on which the town of Shinglehouse is built was owned
by another Frenchman, Louis D'Orbigny, but he never settled there. The oldest settler on the Potter County side of the line was Captain Mix, who lived some distance up the Honeoye, and had a sawmill there. Mr. Newton does not know his given name. but it seems quite likely that Amos Mix, whom Almeron Nelson names as one of t he viewers of the road from Coudersport to Ceres in 1812, was the same man, which would place the date of his settlement somewhere from 1806 to 1812. He was already an old settler when Amos A. Newton came in 1844. At the earliest date of which Mr. Newton has any knowledge, the settlers on the Oswayo on the road to Coudersport were as follows, beginning just above Shinglehouse: O. C. Warner, Anthony Jones (sold to Amos A. Newton), Benjamin F. Nichols, Amos D. Nichols. John S. Pearsall lived near the Sunnyside bridge, just above the present site of the picnic grove. Isaac and Arad Jones, who came from the North Bingham settlement, which I shall mention later, built a mill on the present site of Shinglehouse in early times, and a man named Hopkins had a blacksmith shop there. Wiley Humphrey built the first store on the present town site, earlier stores having been located farther down stream, near the county line. Tom Nichols and Eleazar Albee were early settlers on the Honeoye. Most of the early settlers in this neighborhood were attracted by the splendid white pine timber, which could be conveniently rafted down the Oswayo and the Allegheny, and practically all of them were engaged in lumbering. Mr. Newton says that there were probably fifty mills on the Oswayo and its branches above Ceres in his youth, and that nearly all of them ran by water-power. The Nichols family, some years before their settlement on the Oswayo, were employed in building the old Holland road in the western part of McKean County, one of the first roads opened in Northwestern Pennsylvania.
Oswayo Valley Mail, Shinglehouse, PA, Potter County, June 28, 1956.
Just 50 years ago, in May 1906, the spelling of "Shingle House" was changed to one word, Shinglehouse, as it is today.
For years we have been wondering how, when and why the spelling of the name of our town was changed. However, we also had faith that some day we would run across it in our files. And we did.
In the issue of the Oswayo Valley Mail, dated May 30, 1906, the following paragraph was recorded:
"It may be that some of our citizens do not know it, but the post office department some time ago officially changed the spelling of Shingle House so that it is now only one word, Shinglehouse."
But for 100 years Shingle House was spelled in the old form as two words.
We are not as modern in our spelling as one would think.
Oswayo Valley Mail, Shinglehouse, PA, Potter County, June 28, 1956.
According to an early history of Shingle House, written by Miss Mollie Terwilliger, published in the 50th anniversary issue of The Oswayo Valley Mail, May 7, 1936, The Shingle House was built below town on the Horse Run Road, but the first settlement of any size was above town, near the present Assembly Park.
Her mother, Mrs. Fendora Terwilliger, was born here in 1843 and before her death in ___ was the oldest living person born within the present confines of the Borough of Shingle House.
Mrs. Terwilliger's uncle, Willard Jones, came to Shingle House in 1835 and built a home and saw mill a little above Assembly Park, about two miles east of the Shingle House. Lending further strength to the belief that the community started east of the original site, is the fact that a school house was built in 1837 about where the new Maple Grove Cemetery now stands.
When the Honeoye Valley was later inhabited it was only natural that the town would grow and prosper where the two valleys met in a "crossroads" and Shingle House adopted its present site half way between the two original settlements.
Miss Terwilliger's early history of Shingle House as printed 20 years ago in The Mail, is reprinted in part here:
All authorities agree that Shinglehouse takes its name (which we may note is the only Post Office of that name in the U. S. Post Office Directory) from the cabin erected in 1806 by one M. Generet, sometimes called Jaundrie, we believe erroneously.
This cabin was built of course of logs and covered top and sides with wooden "shakes" riven, not shaved, and tradition has it, rounded at the ends. This house stood, not as it is generally claimed, on the site afterward occupied by a larger building, also shingled, which stood on the south bank of the Oswayo, nearly opposite the mouth of the Horse Run Creek.
This house was used as a hotel, also as a boarding house for the lumber and river men, who made up three rafts in a pool below this building.
The business of lumbering and running the so called rafts down the Allegheny to Pittsburgh and on some times to Cincinnati deserves considerable space in the telling.
The original white pine forests of the Oswayo and Honeoye Valleys were of the best in the county, possibly of the State, and explains why the northern half of the county was more thickly settled at first than the southernmost.
Many of us can remember the old stump fences, made of white pine stumps, roots and all, which in clearing up the land offered a heap and convenient way of building fences and were practically indestructible, yielding only to fire. They offered a safe harbor for weeds, however, and most farmers hastened to get rid of them, when financially able, by burning.
To resume. The Generet house, according to testimony of "older inhabitants" stood further toward the present sire of Shinglehouse, nearly back of the Haynes' house. Jander Run takes its name therefrom.
The shingled hotel must have been standing well into the seventies, possibly later, as many now living can remember it.
The land warrant on which Shingle House was built was owned by Louis d'Orbigny and this name appears in many old deeds.
The first white settler after Generet was, according to most accounts, a man named Mix, whether Amos or not, we are not sure. He came some time between 1806 and 1812, and was located a considerable way up the Honeoye and had a mill there.
Willard Jones came early in the thirties and built a mill not on the site of the Perkins' mill, as some say, but further up the stream, above the Assembly Park, where the present bed of the creek makes a sharp turn.
Mrs. Fendora Terwilliger was born in 1843 in the house that stood adjacent to the Jones' mill and probably built at about the same time. Mrs. Terwilliger is probably the oldest person now living in Shinglehouse who was born within the borough.
Near the site of this mill, but nearer the highway as it is now located, was plainly visible within the memory of those now living a circular ridge or embankment of Indian origin, possibly a camping place, maybe a fort.
The late Amos Newton said he remembered large trees growing both within and upon the walls, indicative of its age. Many arrowheads and stone utensils have been unearthed there as in other parts of Sharon Township.
The first school house was built about 1837 by the Jones', assisted by other pioneer families. A Miss Stillman was probably the first teacher. Among other teachers were Amarilla Maxson, Clarissa Leroy, Miranda Jones and Huldah Nichols.
Probably the Jones families, the Pearsalls, the Nichols, came some time between 1832 and 1836.
Isaac Jones was the first Post Master at the Post Office situated just east of the present boro line and near the aforesaid mill and school house, but the Post Office was known as the Sharon and not Shinglehouse until in Pierce's administration, with G. W. Mosier as Post Master.
An amusing incident is told by Miss Newton. It seems in the late forties Miss Newton's mother, who was born Dollie Jones, received a proposal of marriage by mail, to which she never replied.
When the suggestion was made that the gentleman in question must have had a somewhat nerve-racking wait she replied with some spirit that "it cost 25 cents to send a letter and that time she was teaching school for 50 cents a week."
Back To Shinglehouse Index
Back To Potter County Main Page
This page is maintained by the PHGS
Last Update December 22, 2002
| Our Mission
| Email Us | Membership
| News and
Events | Members
Family Pages |
Other PHGS Links | Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer |
© 2002 by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society >