Submitted by PHGS Member Mike Henderson
|Oswayo Valley Mail, Shinglehouse, PA, Potter County, June 28, 1956
Rev. Scott is said to be the first preacher who visited Sharon Township. He preached in the school near Shingle House.
The first Seventh-day Baptist Church was incorporated in September, 1883, on petition of Edward Warner, J. J. Kenyon and B. O. Burdick. The church building was completed the same year.
A quarterly conference of the Seventh-day Baptists was held in their church on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, January 12, 13 and 14, 1894, conducted by Rev. George P. Kenyon. He was assisted by Rev. Powell of Genesee and Rev. M. G. Stillman of Richburg, N. Y.
Regular services were held every Sabbath Day at 11:30 a. m., and Sabbath School at one o'clock in the afternoon. Rev. George P. Kenyon was the elder.
Before 1890, the Seventh-day Adventists had organized in Shingle House and had built their church.
A Methodist Episcopal Church Society of Shingle House was incorporated in November, 1885. The first trustees were: L. C. Perry, Zalmon Barnes, W. T. Lane, Mrs. Laura Newton and Dr. A. J. Remington.
During 1886 and 1887, Rev. E. S. Wilcox was pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Shingle House. He was replaced by Rev. J. M. Leach at the conference in October, 1887.
The regular services in the early years, which were held in the Seventh-day Baptist Church, were Sabbath School at 10:00 a. m. and Preaching at 11:00 a. m., with Class Meeting at 12:00 noon.
The last of October, 1893, the foundation for the new church was completed.
A Christmas tree and dinner were the first festivities to be held in the
new church. Frank Voorhees impersonated Santa Claus very well.
The first meeting of the Baptists in Shinglehouse was held on May 12, 1894, in the Seventh-day Adventist Church in response to invitations issued by E. B. Bockley. The first covenant meeting was held on July 28, 1894.
The Mission was organized on October 10, 1894, with seven members. The first baptism occurred on October 11, 1894, when Mrs. Frank Bailey was immersed. The wooden tank was built by A. F. Nichols in the old Opera House on Honeoye street.
The first church was organized on June 4, 1895, with 21 members.
Rev. F. W. Reynolds of Wellsboro was sent to the field by the Pennsylvania Mission Society on November 23, 1905, and under his leadership a decision was reached to build a house of worship.
Rev. W. H. Dallman became the first pastor of the church on February 1, 1906. The charter was procured on December 2, 1905, and ground was broken for the new church on July 11, 1906.
The church was completed on Saturday, January 18, 1908.
In building the church, the pastor, Rev. Dallman, worked longer, harder, and worried more than any other man in the church or on the building committee, during its construction.
The first set of officers of the new church was: W. H. Dallman, pastor; W. G. Sutherland, F. P. Ackerman and Ira Kinney, deacons; C. A. Wolcott, Ira Kinney, and George B. Scott, trustees.
Mrs. Thomas L. Knapp, treasurer; Mrs. Ira Kinney, financial scretary; Mrs. Ira Kinney, financial secretary; Mrs. George B. Scott, church clerk; Mrs. James Staysa, president of the Ladies Aid; John Corwin, president of the B.Y.P.U. and Ira Kinney, superintendent of the Bible School.
The stone Baptist Church at the corner of Academy and Pleasant streets was opend on January 19, 1908, with union services. A large congregation gathered for the morning service at 10:30 a. m. The afternoon service began at 3:00 o'clock.
The native bluestone church was erected at a cost of $14000 and the problem of raising the money was long and tedious, eventually being completed in October, 1919. The program and the burning of the mortgage of both the church and parsonage was held on December 28, 1919.
The church was the first public building to have electric lights and the parsonage was the second dwelling to have them.
The Baptist Church is very proud to have a missionary on the field in India. Forty years ago, in 1912, Naomi Knapp left for India.
|Sunday, July 27, 1930, marked the deication of the St. Theresa's Catholic
Church at Shinglehouse. The building, formerly used as a schoolhouse, the
town hall and Seventh-day Adventist Church, has recently been remodeled
and was formerly dedicated for church purposes last Sunday.
The Rt. Rev. David F. Hickey, V.F., L.L.D., who is in charge of St. Bernard's Church at Bradford, officiated at the solemn ceremonies. He was delegated to preside by the Rt. Rev. John Mark Gannon, D.D., D.C.L., L.L.D., Bishop of Eire. Monsignor Hickey was assisted by the Very Rev. Edward J. Rengel, V.F., L.L.D., of Olean and the Rev. Father Flanagan of Windsor Locks, Conn. Rev. Geo. Skelley, O.F.M., of St. Bonaventure College at Allegany was the master of ceremonies.
The servers were Rev. M. E. Dailey, pastor of St. Raphael's Church in Eldred, and Rev. Charles Ward of Bradford. The chanters of the psalms and litanies were Rev. Capistran Petrie, O.F.M., of Allegany and Rev. Francis Sullivan, O.F.M., of Washington, D.C. A large number of clergymen attended the services.
The sermon was preached by Rt. Rev. Monsignor Hickey who explained the meaning of dedication services. He congratulated the people who made many sacrifices to complete the work on the church and also their pastor, Rev. William Coyle who resides at the Church of the Scared Heart in Genesee and also cares for the parish of St. Mary's in Kinney, Pa., and that of St. Theresa in Shinglehouse.
Father Coyle has endeared himself to his flock by his untiring efforts in their behalf. The respect he enjoys among those of other Christian beliefs was evident last Sunday for not only were lay people present but also ministers of religion.
A sumptuous dinner was served by Mrs. Anna Kaufman, who has done
so much for the parish at Shinglehouse, and by her sisters, Mrs. Kinsella
Arnold. They were assisted by their nieces, Miss Margaret Gonter
and Miss Rena Gonter.
|From the Shinglehouse United Methodist Church 100 year anniversary program.|
The Methodist Episcopal Church in America was organized in 1784 at the Baltimore Conference.
British missionaries, Francis Asbury and Thomas Coke, were ordained its first Bishops. The
church had grown rapidly, mostly along the Atlantic seaboard from Maine to South Carolina.
evangelized by a large number of pioneer circuit-riding preachers who followed adventurous and
hardy settlers in their conquest of the wilderness.
Most of Western New York was then called Genesee Country, largely forest,
Ceres was the oldest settlement in this vicinity. In the year 1833,
revivals were held from
In the year 1837, another meeting was held in Clark Stillman's
barn and more converts were
John Smith gave land on which to build a church and Rev. Benjamin
drew plans for the church
The minister at Ceres preached at Honeoye and Shinglehouse from 1866 to 1879. (In 1879, William T. Lane was instrumental in forming the Alma, Honeoye, and Shinglehouse Circuit.) These towns were busy lumbering towns at that time.
The early days of Methodist work in Honeoye was done by Rev. P. W. Minard. Beginning in October 1879, Rev. Minard held services in the schoolhouse in the morning, at Shinglehouse in the afternoon, and at Alma in the evening. Rev. Minard left the circuit in October, 1882.
Rev. S. C. Rhineault was appointed by the conference on October 10, 1882; A. W. Merville was appointed October 1883; D. C. Nye was appointed October B, 1884-86; Rev. E. S. Wilcox was appointed October 6, 1886; and Rev. J. M. Leach was appointed October 10, 1887.
During the ministry of Rev. J. M. Leach, plans were made for
the building of a church. (The
Mr. W.T. Lane, a far-seeing businessman, put forth the idea or a parsonage being built in Shinglehouse as he felt this would be the center of church activities. In 1884, the first parsonage was a rented house on the Horse Run Road. The Shinglehouse parsonage was started on Lincoln Street on a lot donated by Mrs. Laura Newton in 1885. Mr. Lane furnished most of the lumber, sawing it at his Honeoye Mill. Before the parsonage was fully completed, a flood caused the Horse Run residents to find safer residence. The minister and his family moved into the Lincoln Street parsonage which was without windows and doors and unfinished inside.
The Methodist church society or Shinglehouse was incorporated in 1885.
They worshipped in the
The Ladies Aid Society was organized in that same year, 1885 by seven women; Emma Dodge, Laura Newton, Emma Woodard, Martha MacGregor, Emily Corevin, Ruth James, and Mary Nichols. This group was very much the guiding power in the building and growth of the church. They also helped pay on the use of the Seventh Day Baptist Church where the Methodists held their classes.
On October 11, 1893, a deed was executed conveying to the Methodist
Episcopal Society of
The Ladies Aid Society bought the corner lot for $300., paying the last
installment just before
The church building was 36'X 55' with a full basement. It was furnished
in natural grain cherry
The first trustees were; H.L. Pearsall, Justice Hickok, Coleman Smith, Frank Farley, P. B. Woodward, A. A. Mulkin, F. A. Nichols, Jacob Failing, and Mrs. Laura Newton. The building committee was composed or Cal C. Perry, Albert A. Mulkin, and T. H. Carryer.
Dedication services were held on March 11, 1894. In the words of the
Pastor, T.H. Carryer,
The early 1900's brought the glass and bottle plants to Shinglehouse
and this brought an influx
Regular services were discontinued at the Honeoye Church in the year
1923 though the Sunday School and occasional services continued until 1945.
As time elapsed, families moved away and
The Women's Missionary Society met at the home of Mrs. A.L. Cole
on March 30, 1922, for the
The Mary Martha Class was organized on October 31, 1930, at the church.
Twelve persons were
Through the years, the members of the Mary Marthas class have been faithful
workers and if any
In 1940 the Ladies Aid Society was incorporated in the unification of
Methodist Society under
The church was originally in the Genesee Conference but in 1962 the
adjustment of conference
In 1963 the Mary Martha Class raised $12,000. to help build a new education
wing for the
The merger of two denominations, the Methodist Church and the Evangelical
The original Shinglehouse parsonage on Lincoln Street was torn down
in August 1981. A new one story house was built in its place and was completed
in June 1982. The total cost was $53,262.05. The parsonage was dedicated
on September 11, 1983, free of debt.
HISTORY OF THE SHINGLEHOUSE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
1893-1895 T.H. Carryer (First Minister from Honeoye Church)
STATISTICAL RECORDS OF SHINGLEHOUSE CHURCH
YEAR FULL MEMBERSHIP
1916...Gleaners and the E.P.H. Class with their teachers, Mrs. Joe
Rubert and Mrs. John Haines
May 23, 1917.. Public protest by the churches of Shinglehouse against
Sunday baseball. The
Mary Martha' 5 enjoying refreshments of "warm sugar" and biscuits .
June 2. 1923 & September 2, 1925...Nellie presented her pupils in Recital at the church.
Winter 1924.. Thirty-five members of the Epworth League enjoyed a sleigh
ride up the valley to
March 8, 1926.. Choir presented a program "Receiving the Parson" .
October 4-7, 1927...Mrs. Allen Prince and Miss Kate Newton
were delegates at Uniontown for the annual meeting of the Women's Foreign
Missionary Society. In 1928 they were delegates at the
February 22, 1928... Jonathan Chapel, widely known veteran of
the Civil War, was honored on his
1930...The Primary Department of the Methodist Sunday School presented
a home talent play at
1931...Sunday School Banquet..Mary Martha Class was awarded prize for
the best part of the
1931.. Epworth League players presented a three act comedy entitled
"Safety First" at the Star
March 27, 1932...Community Choir presented "The Conquering King" .
April 20, 1932.. .65 of the 71 Members of the Mary Martha Class met
at the home of Mrs. Ulric Dodge of Honeoye Street .
1933.. The "Boiler Boys" of the Methodist Sunday School enjoyed a theatre
party in Bolivar.
November 1933...Mrs. Allen Prince's Sunday School Class participated
in an old-fashioned
1938.. .Mary Martha Class was entertained at a Strawberry Festival at
the home of Mrs. Lawrence
1938.. The Brotherhood Class of Shinglehouse held musical service at Ceres.
1938...Ladies Aid purchased 20 bushel of leeks for a public supper.
Also on the menu was baked
1939.. .Men's Brotherhood Class used Mr. Palmer's recreation
room in the basement of his home
1939...Members of the Frank Bixby's Sunday School Class enjoyed
an outing at Cuba Lake. The
May 7, 1939.. .Men's Brotherhood Class conducted a musical in Trinity
1941.. .Rally Day for Sunday School was held with perfect attendance
pins awarded to 55 members
1945.. .Rev. Don Moody took three youth to Silver Lake for the
Youth Institute. They were Diane
1948.. .The Methodist Brotherhood entertained seventeen men from the
First Baptist Church of
April 10, 1949...A Hammond Organ purchased by the church was dedicated.
1949.. Tickets for the Father/Son Banquet were completely sold out to
a record crowd. Members
July 20, 1949...Sunday School Classes led by Mrs. C.H. Chamberlain,
Earl Gibson, and Mrs. Vera Nichols took a bus trip to Cuba Lake
enjoying a picnic, boating, swimming, and
Back To Shinglehouse Index
Back To Potter County Main Page
This page is maintained by the PHGS
Last Update December 22, 2003
© 2002 by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society
Main | Email Us | Look-Ups | Members Family Pages
Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer