From the Shinglehouse United Methodist
Submitted by Mike Henderson
The Methodist Episcopal Church in America was organized in 1784 at the Baltimore Conference.
British missionaries, Francis Asbury and Thomas Coke, were ordained its first Bishops. The church had grown rapidly, mostly along the Atlantic seaboard from Maine to South Carolina. evangelized by a large number of pioneer circuit-riding preachers who followed adventurous and hardy settlers in their conquest of the wilderness. Most of Western New York was then called Genesee Country, largely forest, although clearings and settlements were growing in numbers. Through such territory, Bishop Asbury was journeying on horseback with a traveling companion, Henry Boehm. They recognized the need for organizing a Genesee Conference and this was accomplished under Bishops Asbury and William McKendree (Methodism's first American-born Bishop) in 1810 in Lyons, N.Y. From this early history we can trace the beginnings of the Shinglehouse United Methodist Church.
Ceres was the oldest settlement in this vicinity. In the year 1833, revivals were held from Friendship, N.Y. to Hinsdale, N.Y. Mrs. Full, a Methodist, proposed having a Methodist class at Ceres. On January 4, 1832, she was successful in getting the Methodist minister from Friendship to organize a class. This meeting was held at Daniel Cari's new barn in 1834.
In the year 1837, another meeting was held in Clark Stillman's barn and more converts were added to the class. These meetings were held by a Methodist minister named Loomis Benjamin. He was appointed minister for a Bolivar, Friendship, Belvidere, and Portville. John Smith gave land on which to build a church and Rev. Benjamin drew plans for the church which was built in 1839 at Ceres. In 1866 a parsonage was built by Rev. William Webber and the circuit was separated from Bolivar at the 1866 Conference and extended to Oswayo.
The minister at Ceres preached at Honeoye and Shinglehouse from 1866 to 1879. (In 1879, William T. Lane was instrumental in forming the Alma, Honeoye, and Shinglehouse Circuit.) These towns were busy lumbering towns at that time. The early days of Methodist work in Honeoye was done by Rev. P.W. Minard. Beginning in October 1879, Rev. Minard held services in the schoolhouse in the morning, at Shinglehouse in the afternoon, and at Alma in the evening. Rev. Minard left the circuit in October, 1882. Rev. S.C. Rhineault was appointed by the conference on October 10, 1882; A.W. Merville was appointed October 1883; D.C. Nye was appointed October B, 1884-86; Rev. E.S. Wilcox was appointed October 6, 1886; and Rev. J.M. Leach was appointed October 10, 1887.
During the ministry of Rev. J.M. Leach, plans were made for the building of a church. (The Honeoye Church was completed in 1889 and dedicated on March 2, 1890.) Mr. W.T. Lane, a far-seeing businessman, put forth the idea or a parsonage being built in Shinglehouse as he felt this would be the center of church activities. In 1884, the first parsonage was a rented house on the Horse Run Road. The Shinglehouse parsonage was started on Lincoln Street on a lot donated by Mrs. Laura Newton in 1885. Mr. Lane furnished most of the lumber, sawing it at his Honeoye Mill. Before the parsonage was fully completed, a flood caused the Horse Run residents to find safer residence. The minister and his family moved into the Lincoln Street parsonage which was without windows and doors and unfinished inside.
The Methodist church society or Shinglehouse was incorporated in 1885. They worshipped in the Seventh Day Baptist Church.
The Ladies Aid Society was organized in that same year, 1885 by seven women; Emma Dodge, Laura Newton, Emma Woodard, Martha MacGregor, Emily Corevin, Ruth James, and Mary Nichols. This group was very much the guiding power in the building and growth of the church. They also helped pay on the use of the Seventh Day Baptist Church where the Methodists held their classes. On October 11, 1893, a deed was executed conveying to the Methodist Episcopal Society of Shinglehouse, the beautiful corner lot adjoining the parsonage property on Lincoln Street. Upon the following day, work was commenced which resulted in the erection of a church edifice which was brought to a successful completion on March 10, 1893. The church was dedicated free from debt through subscriptions ranging from $1. to $125. and $200. was put in the treasury. The Ladies Aid Society bought the corner lot for $300., paying the last installment just before the church was dedicated. They furnished many articles for the church.
The church building was 36'X 55' with a full basement. It was furnished in natural grain cherry with a metal ceiling, trimmed in molding and ornamental rosettes. The windows were of cathedral glass, blue and red in color and Gothic in style. Each window bore an inscription ground into the glass. Seating capacity was 300. There was a 12'X 12' tower in which hung an 800 pound bell. The cost of the structure including the lot was $3,600. The first trustees were; H.L. Pearsall, Justice Hickok, Coleman Smith, Frank Farley, P.B. Woodward, A.A. Mulkin, F.A. Nichols, Jacob Failing, and Mrs. Laura Newton. The building committee was composed or Cal C. Perry, Albert A. Mulkin, and T. H. Carryer. Dedication services were held on March 11, 1894. In the words of the Pastor, T.H. Carryer, "Thus ended a glorious day and one long to be remembered on the Honeoye Charge."
The early 1900's brought the glass and bottle plants to Shinglehouse and this brought an influx of talent to the church. In 1915 the church was remodeled. It was rededicated in a "Reopening Service" on October 31N 1915. This service was led by Rev. H.A. Crane, District Superintendent of the Olean District and Rev. Samuel W. Eaton, Pastor. Regular services were discontinued at the Honeoye Church in the year 1923 though the Sunday School and occasional services continued until 1945. As time elapsed, families moved away and during the changing time, the congregations grew smaller. Thus a house of worship that had been a part of the Honeoye community for over 50 years passed into oblivion. The remaining memberships of the Honeoye Church were transferred to Shinglehouse Methodist Church in 1948.
The Women's Missionary Society met at the home of Mrs. A. L. Cole on March 30, 1922, for the purpose of organizing a Women's Foreign Missionary Society. The following officers were elected; President: Kate Newton; Vice-President: Mrs. A. L. Cole; Treasurer: Mrs. Joe Rupert; Recording Secretary: Bess Thatcher; and Corresponding Secretary: Lucy McDowell.
The Mary Martha Class was organized on October 31, 1930, at the church. Twelve persons were present and the following officers were elected: President: Ethel McDowell; Vice-President: Gertrude Mills; Secretary: Etoile Marshall; Treasurer: Helen Chamberlin; Program Committee: Etoile Marshall, Helen Babcock, Ina McEllroy; Membership: Lulu Kier, Nina Wandover, Helen Kemp; Visiting Commissioner Ruth Wingard, Bertha Harris, Helen Chamberlin; First Teacher: Maude Rupert (Continued until death 11/27/44) Motto: "Service For Other".
Through the years, the members of the Mary Martha's class have been faithful workers and if any project needed done, they were dependable and capable. Their motto has been well exemplified. Since 1963, the Class has conducted weekly rummage sales. The money received benefits the church and missions.
In 1940 the Ladies Aid Society was incorporated in the unification of Methodist Society under the new title of the Women's Society of Christian Service (W. S. C. S.) The church was originally in the Genesee Conference but in 1962 the adjustment of conference boundaries to state lines changed the church to the Western Pennsylvania Conference. The Kane District commenced in 1962. In 1963 the Mary Martha Class raised $12,000. to help build a new education wing for the church. The new addition created an office for the Pastor, two restrooms, and seven classrooms.
The groundbreaking was held October 1962 and the opening date was September 29, 1963. The contractor was Edward Klesa of Shinglehouse with the help of members of the congregation donating their time and labor. This wing was used by the Oswayo Valley public kindergarten for several years.
The merger of two denominations, the Methodist Church and the Evangelical
United Brethren Church, to form the United Methodist Church was accomplished
by a uniting General Conference held at Dallas, Texas, in 1968. Both Conferences
(Methodist and Evangelical United Brethren) were placed in the Pittsburgh
Area. The Conference sessions of 1969, meeting separately under the presidency
of Bishop Roy C. Nichols, each adopted a common Plan of Union. This
Union was consummated in a Uniting Session help at Johnstown, Pa. on October
11, 1969 creating the Western Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist
The original Shinglehouse parsonage on Lincoln Street was torn down in August 1981. A new one story house was built in its place and was completed in June 1982. The total cost was $53,262.05. The parsonage was dedicated on September 11, 1983, free of debt.
HISTORY OF THE SHINGLEHOUSE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
STATISTICAL RECORDS OF SHINGLEHOUSE CHURCH
1916...Gleaners and the E.P.H. Class with their teachers, Mrs. Joe Rubert and Mrs. John Haines enjoyed an auto trip over the hills to Sweden Valley where they visited the famous ice mine.
May 23, 1917.. Public protest by the churches of Shinglehouse against Sunday baseball. The churches felt baseball was a violation of the Divine Law to keep holy the Sabbath. .
Mary Martha' 5 enjoying refreshments of "warm sugar" and biscuits .
June 2. 1923 & September 2, 1925...Nellie Bridge presented her pupils in Recital at the church.
Winter 1924.. Thirty-five members of the Epworth League enjoyed a sleigh ride up the valley to the home of Nellie Sizer.
March 8, 1926.. Choir presented a program "Receiving the Parson" .
October 4-7, 1927...Mrs. Allen Prince and Miss Kate Newton were delegates at Uniontown for the annual meeting of the Women's Foreign Missionary Society. In 1928 they were delegates at the Scranton Meeting.
February 22, 1928... Jonathan Chapel, widely known veteran of the Civil War, was honored on his 90th birthday at the church where he was a faithful member.
1930...The Primary Department of the Methodist Sunday School presented a home talent play at the Star Theatre.
1931...Sunday School Banquet Mary Martha Class was awarded prize for the best part of the program. The class presented a radio minstrel show led by Mrs. Howard Signor.
1931.. Epworth League players presented a three act comedy entitled "Safety First" at the Star Theatre.
March 27, 1932...Community Choir presented "The Conquering King" .
April 20, 1932.. .65 of the 71 Members of the Mary Martha Class met at the home of Mrs. Ulric Dodge of Honeoye Street .
1933.. The "Boiler Boys" of the Methodist Sunday School enjoyed a theatre party in Bolivar. Their teacher was Arthur Greene.
November 1933...Mrs. Allen Prince's Sunday School Class participated in an old-fashioned Sleigh ride which ended at the Prince home for games and refreshments.
1938.. .Mary Martha Class was entertained at a Strawberry Festival at the home of Mrs. Lawrence Stearns.
1938.. The Brotherhood Class of Shinglehouse held musical service at Ceres.
1938...Ladies Aid purchased 20 bushel of leeks for a public supper. Also on the menu was baked ham and lemon pie. (It was noted that the leek suppers were first popularized in this area by the Rose of Sharon Garden Club. The old tradition was "those who partake of one "mess" of leeks in the Spring of the year, will be free from fever until the next season".)
1939.. .Men's Brotherhood Class used Mr. Palmer's recreation room in the basement of his home for their weekly meetings.
1939...Members of the Frank Bixby's Sunday School Class enjoyed an outing at Cuba Lake. The Group enjoyed swimming and wiener roast.
May 7, 1939.. .Men's Brotherhood Class conducted a musical in Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church in Olean and on May 21st the group went to Butler Pa. to present their program .
1941.. .Rally Day for Sunday School was held with perfect attendance pins awarded to 55 members with record going to Miss Elizabeth Press, (Mrs. Liz Lawton) who completed 11 years perfect attendance.
1945.. .Rev. Don Moody took three youth to Silver Lake for the Youth Institute. They were Diane Kemp, Donna Jones, and Patricia Washburn.
1948.. .The Methodist Brotherhood entertained seventeen men from the First Baptist Church of Port Allegheny for an evening of fun and refreshments.
April 10, 1949...A Hammond Organ purchased by the church was dedicated.
1949.. Tickets for the Father/Son Banquet were completely sold out to a record crowd. Members of the 1939 Championship High School Basketball Team were the guests of honor. coach Brace reviewed the basketball activities during his nine years as coach.
July 20, 1949...Sunday School Classes led by Mrs. C.H. Chamberlain, Mrs. Earl Gibson, and Mrs. Vera Nichols took a bus trip to Cuba Lake enjoying a picnic, boating, swimming, and Roller skating.
This page is maintained by the PHGS
Last Update December 21, 2002
© 2002 by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society
Main | Email Us | Look-Ups | Members Family Pages
Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer