McKean County, Pa.
Submitted by Frankie Stonemetz
From the " History of Ceres" written by Maria King 1896
PAGES 116, 117
The Coopers -- Ira, Cyrus and Russell--- came first as Early as 1833, I think, or earlier. After a time their father, mother, and brothers Theron and Silas came, but they did not remain many years, but settled on Annin Creek, where Theron and Silas still live. In 1936, Russell built the house where Leonard White now lives. He lived there until his death in 1866. His wife died there in 1869, They left two children, a son and a daughter, who in turn married and had families, but they both died many tears ago, the son leaving three children and the daughter two.
Ira built the house near Mr. White, and now owned by him, but soon after sold out and moved to Bell's Run, where he became a successful farmer and lived many years. His widow married George Grow, and only recently died, at nearly ninety years of age. She leaves two daughters, the older living on Bell's Run and now the widow of Rev. Herrick; the younger has long lived in Oregon.
Cyrus sold out to Dedrick and bought land on King's Run, where he lived ten years or more, when he moved to the village and after bought and built near where Dr. Place lives; but he again sold out and removed to Myrtle, where his second wife died in 1882. He lived until 1888, when he died at the age of eighty-four, leaving three children, who still survive him, Evaline, Adelaide, and Oscar. Evaline has for many years been a resident of Plainfeild, NJ, the wife of J. C. Dyer. Oscar has long been a resident of South Dakota; Ruth Adelaide is the second wife of C. A. Warner, of Ceres. Mr. Coopers first wife died while he was a resident of King's Run.
Nelson Peabody and Russell Cooper kept a grocery in Cooper's house for a number of years.
Miss Julie Main accompanied her relatives here, and after teaching school awhile, became the wife of Russell Cooper, of Ceres.
Page 137 - 138
C. A. Warner came to Ceres in 1857. He established a harness
shop and worked here for two or three years, and then tried several other
places. He married Maggie Fay and returned and bought the house
where Charles Bell now lives. His wife died in 1869. Leaving him
with four small children. He gave the youngest to its mother's sister,
and hired the other three and himself boarded until 1871 when he married
Cooper. After a little he bought out E.N Andrus and moved to
that place, where he remains unto the present, having greatly improved
and enlarged the house.
Chapter title, History of Temperance work.
The three young men who worked so earnestly should be remembered. Two
of them have passed from earth; Henry Ledyard and Sobieski Cooper,
but R. R. Bell is a true temperance man as then. But for the work
of these three young men all the others had done would probably have proved
Thomas, the oldest of the brothers, moved to Oswayo in 1829,
and was one of the first two settlers of that region. He came to Ceres
and remained a few years. He was a hardworking, industrious man with a
large family, and went west in the forties and settled near Washburn, Illinois,
where he succeeded in bringing up his children well, and where he lived
to a good old age, only dying within a few years, His oldest son married
the older daughter of Ira Cooper, and died of small pox in 1870,
leaving several children who have done him honor.
Page 65 - 66
Ceres Church: Account of the sale of slips in the church, 1839
In 1835 George Grow bought his family from Almond, N.Y. They
purchased a large tract of land about a mile south of Lister Hargraves
and William Lister's homes. Here George raised a family and
lived out his life. George died in 1884, ages 92. George's
wife, Ruth Cornell, died in 1852, age 61. Three of their
children settled in the area: Hannah married Peter North,
married Nimrod Lanphere, and James married Martha Fuller.
A year after Ruth's death, George married Betsy Cooper,
She was the widow of Ira Cooper. Ira's farm adjoined George's. George
and Betsy continued to live on the Grow farm, but their son, James,
took over the operation of the farm. Here, George and Betsy lived
out their lives. Betsy died in 1893, Here too;
James and Martha
lived, having two sons and two girls. Both of their sons died young. The
older girl Hattie married Caleb Robarts. As James
had no sons living, he hired a local boy to help with the farm work. Alton
Maxson came to lives with the Grows, and eventually married
the younger daughter Jennie, They raised nine children. In 1898,
died at the age of 64. James lived until 1905, when he was 78 years
old. At this time the farm was willed to Alton and
Maxson. Jennie died in 1912 at the age of 55.
until 1937, when he was 86 years old. After Alton, his youngest
son, Keith, took over the farm.
and had five children. Eileen, Edward, Dale, Marilyn, Carolyn. The
first four lived on Bell Run. Keith had a sister, Amber,
who married John Gleason of Ceres. It was her son, Hal, who
told this author about the Grows and
died in 1981 at the age of 81. The Grow farm is one of the few that
have been in the same family for so long. For 155 years the same family
has lived on the same farm. The other families that came close to this
record are the Fullers, who have lived on the same farm since about
1841, and the Hacketts, who have lived on the same farm since 1847.
widow, Agnes, still lives on the old farm in the second or third
home built here.
In 1837, Ira Cooper bought a large tract of land and turned it into farmland. Today Ira's farm covers the homes of Dorothy Carpenter, Muriel Montgomery, and the trailor court owned by the Carpenters. Ira Cooper came to Ceres about 1832 with his brothers and a sister. He had a successful farm until his death in 1849. He was about 50 when he died. In 1850 Daniel Peabody came and took over the farm. He ran it for about twenty years. He married Martha, daughter of Ira Cooper, and Ira's oldest child. Ira and his wife Betsy also had another daughter, Frances, who married William North (son of Abiel North Jr.). William and Frances settled in Oregon. Ira and Betsy also had several sons. Daniel and Martha Cooper Peabody had a large family, but moat of them died as babies or small children. The other two married and moved out of the area. Their son Albert was a schoolteacher in the area before moving to Cameron. In 1870, the family came down with smallpox and the family fuller recovered except for Daniel who died. He was 44 years old. Mrs. Peabody sold the place and moved to Shinglehouse to live with her daughter, Ellen. After several years, Martha married Frank Herrick who was a minister in the Shinglehouse and Ceres area. Frank died in 1895, at the age of 65. Martha died in 1917, at the age of 87. Only two children survived her. Ira died in 1903 and Ellen also died before her about 1910. Of her last two children, Albert died in 1930, and Nina died in 1939. In 1870, the farm was split into smaller pieces and sold off. John Perarsall, Joseph Morse, and John Chapman bought all the land on the right side of the road. John Pearsall was living here in 1870 and shows up in the Beers map, but does not show up in the 1880 census. John probably died, as he was 75 years old in 1870. He and his wife, Ruth, had at least two daughters, Clinipa and Josephina. His property is believed to have been bought by Joseph Karr.
Back To Ceres Page Index
to McKean County
This page is maintained by the PHGS
Last Update January 27, 2000
Main | Our
Mission | Email Us | Membership
| Look-Ups | News
and Events | Members
Family Pages |
Other PHGS Links | Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer |
© 1999 - 2005 by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society