To the Greemount Cemetery List
the List of Burials at Old Dansville Village Cemetery
History of Greenmount Cemetery
Compiled by Jane Schryver from files in the Dansville Town Historian's Office; and by Bob Glover
For the history of the Old Dansville Village Cemetery go here; OldDansvilleVillageCemetery
1797 Nathaniel Porter, who had arrived in the valley with his brother William the year before, became the first to be interred in Dansville's Cemetery; he died on March 12, before he was even able to fashion his own place to live. He was buried at the Old Village Cemetery. By 1888, all markers were destroyed or moved to Greenmount Cemetery to make room for a neighborhood park, and most of the bodies remained in the unmarked cemetery.
1847 On August 4, The Dansville Cemetery Association was organized and Greenmount Cemetery was opened. It is believed that there were no more burials at the old cemetery after this date, but it is possible a few were made.
1866 The caretaker’s house was built. All improvements for the year including the house and wooden gates totaled about $2,000.
1868 The first Memorial Day service for Dansville, held on May 30, consisted of a parade leading to Greenmount Cemetery.
1888 The cemetery chapel was built and in 1889 was dedicated.
1891 The barn behind the caretaker’s house was built.
1896 The sign that hung on the chapel door is preserved in the cemetery office.
1902 The Sexton was Philip H Kinney.
1904 The "Soldier's Plot" at Greenmount Cemetery was established for the benefit of Civil War veterans; it would be the site of Memorial Day services for many years.
1910 On July 12, the Village Board acquiesced to a request from a Mrs. Hillman, who complained that the name of the street that she lived on was much too gruesome. Instead of Cemetery Street, she suggested, why not Greenmount Avenue?
1915 Memorial entrance pillars and fence were given in memory of Maxwell Sweet.
1929 The sexton was Ray Randall.
1931 Memorial fountain erected at gate in memory of Anna Connengaser Teachout.
2001 The Town of North Dansville took over responsibilty of the cemetery due to a lack of funds in the cemetery association.
2011 The Greenmount Cemetery page at the the Painted Hills Genealogy Society website was originated by Paul Giometti and Bob Glover. The volunteer task of photographing and documenting the thousands of burials at the cemetery for posting, with identification by section, was started by Ross & Bob Glover, and Deanne Knapp.
2017 Town of North Dansville approved the erection of the old Nathaniel Porter tombstone, with an updateed bronze plaque, per the request of Nathaniel's 4th great-grandson, retired Colonel Grant Porter, on the plot of Capt. Porter's, son, Matthew Porter, in Section L, located in the upper left corner of the cemetery. The dedication speech by Col. Porter was followed by a 21-gun salute by the Daniel Goho Post 87 Honor Guard.
Holy Cross Cemetery was dedicated September 30, 1894. Before that, Catholics were buried in Greenmount Cemetery. Many of St. Mary's members (German-speaking) were buried in Section C. St. Patrick's members (English-speaking) mostly were buried in Seciton W. These sections are next to each other. There are also people buried in these sections that were not Catholic. Today, Catholics are buried in both Holy Cross and Greenmount ceemteries and in any section. However, many Catholics are buried at Holy Cross.
Mark Gerber 5/23/2018
To the Greemount Cemetery List
This page is maintained by the PHGS
Last Update December 5, 2018