The early history of the Town of Ellicott, NY.
Personal recollections of Dr. Gilbert W. HAZELTINE,
Respectfully submitted by Dolores Pratt Davidson
The first town of Ellicott meeting in 1813, was
to be held at the home of Joseph AKIN, at Stillwater. No one
now can positively point out where Stillwater was, but this is sure;
at that time it was expected that a town would be laid out on the banks
of the Stillwater Creek, which should include the houses of Joseph AKIN
and Laban CASE. It is near enough to say that the locality of this was-to-be
Village of Stillwater was at or near the brick residence of the late Howard
RUSSELL, in Kiantone.
>From S.A. Browns lecture:
"In 1815, the Village of Jamestown, then known as the "Rapids",
was laid out in lots, 50x120 ft. etc. Joseph AKIN at this time, laid
out a Village on the Stillwater, but it never had any inhabitants."
At this first town meeting, (1813) James PRENDERGAST
was elected supervisor, Ebenezer DAVIS, town clerk, Solomon
JONES, William DELAND, and Benjamin COVILL, assessors, James HALL,
constable, and collector. It was voted to lay a road from Akinsville, to
Lawrence FRANK"S (Frewsburg) also a road from WORK'S mill, to PRENDERGAST'S
mill. A road from Stillwater to Prendergast's mills was voted down,;
of course, it would injure the prospects of Stillwater or Akinsville as
sometimes called, and would benefit the Rapids. The next year, 1814,
a road was voted from Stillwater to Heman BUSH'S (Busti) also a road from
Cyrus FISH'S to BOSTWICKS, all leading to Stillwater. The next year,
(1815) it was voted to lay out a road from "near the dwelling" of William
SEARS, (now Kiantone) across Solomon JONES' bridge across Stillwater creek,
to a bridge across the outlet of Chautauqua lake, near and below the James
Prendergast's mills. The next year, (1816) the town meeting was held at
the Rapids and the village of Stillwater was speedily and forever forgotten.
Prendergast commenced active operations at the
Rapids in 1811, but there were several settlers in the town of Ellicott,
previous to that time. WILLSON was living on the farm below Falconer, in
1806, CULBERTSON, a mile below in 1808, George W. FENTON, John ARTHUR,
and Robert RUSSELL, were on the opposite side of the outlet a mile below
WORK'S in 1809.
During the following year , Thomas SLONE was on the old
Indian clearing (The PRENDERGAST farm) on the Kiantone, Solomon JONES
and AKIN and others on the Stillwater. Nathaniel BIRD was at the
foot of the lake where Gideon SHEARMAN now lives, and William DELAND
on what has since been known as the Solomon BUTLER farm. Previous
to the settlement of the Rapids, the FREW'S, the OWEN'S, the MYRES'S,
James HALL, Ebenezer CHENEY, Ebenezer DAVIS, William SEARS, Jasper MARSH,
and others, were settlers on the Conewango and the Stillwater in that part
of Ellicott now comprised in the towns of Carroll, and Kiantone.
Back to Chautauqua
County Main Page