In speaking of early roads, we should have mentioned
the first road ever opened in southern Chautauqua and the third in the
This road extended from what is now Shadyside on the lake to the
Conewango at Pine Grove. This road was cut between the years
1802 and 1804.
Robert MILES, father of the late Fred. MILES
of Sugar Grove, was one of the prominent men engaged in this undertaking,
termination at the lake was in an early day, known as Miles' Landing.
The MARSH settlement, in what is now known as FARMINGTON,
was of much earlier date than any other settlement in southern Chautauqua.
The object of this road was to give settlers, there and on the lower Conewango
and Allegheny, easy access to obtain the fine fish so abundant in it, and
also to obtain from Black Rock, by way of Lake Erie, the Portage road,
and Chautauqua Lake, salt, and other necessaries.
Afterwards it was used by the early settlers of Chautauqua
in driving cattle and hogs, and in drawing sleds during the winter from
the MARSH settlement and below, corn, wheat and other grains
potatoes and other vegetables for food, or for seed to be used in the spring.
This road was the great highway of the wilderness; a guide to the lost
and bewildered pioneer, if he could strike this road, he was safe.