Was formed from Great Valley, March 9, 1842.
Part of Alleghany Reservation was annexed in1847.
Ball hill, in the southeastern part, is 800 feet above the valley.
The soil is a clay and shaly loam upon the upland, and gravely loam in
the valleys. Lumbering is the leading pursuit. Charles Foster,
Howace Howe and Marcus Leonard located upon lots 28 and 29, in 1814.
Was formed form Little Valley, January 20, 1823. Randolph was
taken off in 1826, and Leon in 1832. The surface in the southwestern
and western parts is level and swampy, the Conewango Swamp being 30 to
50 feet below the bed of the Alleghany River, at it nearest point; the
remaining parts are hilly. The soil on the uplands is clay and gravel
and on the flats a gravelly loam. Settlement was commenced in 1816,
by Elliph Follet, near Rutledge.
Was formed form Perrysburg, February 7, 1835. Its surface is generally
a rolling and hilly upland; the highest elevation in the northern part
are about 300 feet above the railroad at Dayton Station. The soil
is a clayey and gravelly loam. The first settlement was made by Silas
Nash and Simeon Bunce, form Otsego County, in 1810.
Was formed form Otto, November 30, 1854. A part of Ellicottville
was annexed in 1867. The surface is hilly and broken; Mount Tug,
the highest summit, being 300 feet above the valleys. The soil is
a clay and gravelly loam, favorable for both grain and grass. The
first settlements were made by Joseph Bates on lot 20, and Horace Wells,
near Otto Corners, about 1816.
Was formed from Olean, April 15, 1818. “Burton” now Allegany, was taken
off in 1831, and Carrolton in 1842. Part of Alleghany Reservation
was taken off in 1847. Its surface is a mountainous and hilly upland;
the highest summit near the southwest corner, is 1300 feet above the river.
The soil upon the highlands is hard clay mixed with disintegrated slate
and shale; in the valleys a gravelly loam. Settlement was commenced
at the mouth of Great Valley Creek, by Judge James Green, in 1812.
Ws formed from Conewango, April 24th, 1832. Settlements were made
on Mud Creek, in 1819, by James Franklin and his son James for Riga, Monroe
County, and Abner Wise and his son Abner W., Thomas W. Cheney and Edward
Dudley, form Otsego Co.
Was formed from Randolph and Cold Spring, April 2, 1847; a part of Cold
Spring was annexed in 1848. The first settlement was made under the
auspices of the Friends’ mission, on the Reservation. The mission
was established in 1798, by the yearly meeting of Philadelphia Friends;
and Joel Swayne, Holliday Jackson, and Chester Simmons, form Chester County,
Pennsylvania settled upon the Reservation in the northern part of the
Click on the link below each picture to see full size. Then use your
back button to return here.