TOWN OF YORKSHIRE

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES FROM: "HISTORICAL GAZETTEER AND BIOGRAPHICAL MEMORIAL of CATTARAUGUS COUNTY, NY, ed by WILLIAM ADAMS, Published 1893
 
 

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Page 1119

Surnames: BISHOP, HAWKINS, BABBIT, HOWELL, JONES

Ira BISHOP, son of John and Dorcas (HAWKINS) BISHOP, was born in Williamsburg, Mass. In 1797 he settled in Otsego, NY, where he lived until 1831, when he moved to Yorkshire with an ox-team, bringing his wife and five children and settling on the farm now owned by his son, Amasa H. BISHOP. He took up 160 acres of land, which he cleared. He taught school and was justice of the peace for several years. He married Margaret BABBIT of Otsego. Children: Maryette, Dorcas, Palmyra, Reuben B., Miranda M., John D., Sarah A., Amasa H., and Romelia E. BISHOP. He died in 1866 and his wife in 1879.

Amasa H. BISHOP was born March 19, 1837, and has always been a farmer, being also for a brief time a teacher. He married Keturah, daughter of Levi HOWELL, of Jerseyville, Canada, and settled on the homestead. His son Levi L. BISHOP married Jennie E., daughter of Morris JONES, of Freedom.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Page 1119

Surnames: BULL, BUMP

Carpenter BULL, a native of Vermont, came to Yorkshire in 1825 and settled on the farm now owned by his son Abel BULL. He was a veterinary surgeon and traveled over a large area of the country in the practice of his profession. He married Mariah, daughter of Edward BUMP, and had fourteen children.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Page 1119

Surnames: BUMP, HARMON, STUDLEY, REYNOLDS, TAYLOR

Harley BUMP, son of Lail, was born in Vermont in 1801. In 1828 he married a daughter of Alpheus HARMON, of Yorkshire, and in 1830 settled on the farm now owned by David Quackenbush. He always remained a resident of the town and was a farmer. Children: George R., Lewis L., and Sallie S. (Mrs. Lucas STUDLEY). Mrs. BUMP died Feb. 8, 1863. Mr. BUMP died in 1872.

George R. BUMP was born March 18, 1834. Aug. 17, 1861, he enlisted in Co. H, 44th N.Y. Vols., was wounded and is a pensioner, and was mustered out in 1864. He married Lucinda E., daughter of Asahel and Mary (REYNOLDS) TAYLOR: Children: Edward L., George H., Asahel T., and Guy A. BUMP.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Page 1119

Surname: CARD

Ray CARD, a native of Rhode Island, came to Yorkshire in 1837 or 1838 and settled on the farm his son Jerry CARD now owns, where he lived and died. He had ten children.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Pages 1119 - 1121

Surnames: CHENEY, HODGES, CROOKER

Daniel W. CHENEY, a native of Ashford, Conn., was descended from good old Puritan stock, his ancestors having come from England with the early Pilgrim Fathers. He emigrated from Connecticut to Essex Co., NY, but after a brief stay he went into Vermont for a time. Thinking that he could better his condition by a return to New York he located in what is now the town of Machias in the year 1808. He resided here a short time, then removed about five miles farther north and took up land on the old "town line" road, in what is now the town of Yorkshire. Here he passed the remainder of his days, dying in 1837. He left the reputation of being an upright, industrious citizen, enjoying the esteem and confidence of all his acquaintances. His wife survived him but a few years. There were born to him eleven children, nine of whom attained manhood and womanhood. All of these are dead but one, Wells CHENEY, who still lives with an only daughter, Nancy, in Delevan, and is an intelligent old gentleman in his 86th year, full of reminiscences of the past.

John CHENEY, the second son of Daniel W., was born in 1813 in the limits of the town of Machias. In his early manhood he succeeded in accumulating a sufficient amount of money to purchase and partially pay for the farm already taken up by his father. In 1840 he married Sarah Ann HODGES, who helped him accumulate a large property. For the next few years, until 1856, he passed his time partly in New York State and partly in Pennsylvania where for a time he run a large lumber mill. Finally returning to New York he settled upon his farm, remaining there till within a few months of his death. He was public spirited, honorable , and highly esteemed. He was one of the founders of the Methodist Episcopal church in Delevan, a liberal supporter and member of it, and one of its trustees for nearly a quarter of a century. He died in 1881 at his residence in the village of Delevan. His widow still lives at the same place. Never taking any active part in politics, he was yet greatly interested in public affairs, usually voting with the Republican party. He was for several terms elected one of the assessors of the town. Besides his widow seven children survive him:

Clark A. CHENEY, a farmer in Yorkshire 

Walter W. CHENEY, an oil operator of Bradford, Pa. 

Irene E. CROOKER, living with her husband at Franklinville

Francis J. CHENEY, principal of the State Normal and Training School, Cortland, N. Y. 

George H. CHENEY, in business in Boston, Mass.

Lyman J. CHENEY, postal clerk on the W.N.Y.& P. railroad.

Francis J. CHENEY was born near Warren, Pa., in June, 1848, third son of John and Sarah Ann CHENEY. In 1856 he came with his parents to Yorkshire. Here he worked on the farm until he was twenty years old, attending the district school winter and summer as far as the farm work would permit. He early manifested a wish to go to college, and in this he was encouraged by his parents. By attending a neighboring academy at Arcade, N.Y., during the fall term, teaching a district school in the winter, and working on the farm through the spring and summer, he finally obtained a part of the necessary means and preparation for college, and entered Syracuse University in 1868, while it was yet Genessee College, graduating in 1872. After graduation he was professor of mathematics in the Northern New York Conference Seminary, Antwerp, N.Y., for two terms. In March, 1873, he was elected principal of Dryden Union School, Dryden, Tompkins county, N.Y. Here he remained seven years, resigning his position in June, 1880. He had studied law, was admitted to practice, and intended, at this time, to enter upon the profession of law, when he received a letter from a member of the Board of Education of Kingston Free Academy, Kingston, N.Y., asking him to consider the proposition of becoming its principal. The result of the correspondence was that he became principal of this school at a salary of $2,000.

In 1882 he was asked to take a professorship in Syracuse University, but the Kingston Board of Education held out such inducements to retain him as to influence him to stay. In 1888 he was elected superintendent of schools in Olean, N. Y. Again the Board of Education at Kingston so strongly desired him to remain that he declined this attractive position. In June, 1889, he received the degree of Ph.D. from Syracuse University, on examination. In 1890 he was unanimously elected inspector of high schools and academies of New York by the Regents of the University of the State of New York. This position he accepted, and entered upon his duties in September of the same year. He held this important office one year, when he was appointed principal of the State Normal and Training School, Cortland, N.Y. Having been confirmed as principal by the State superintendent of public instruction he resigned the office of inspector to accept this desirable and useful position, which he still holds, finding in it an agreeable field of activity and usefulness. In July, 1873, he married Lydia H., daughter of Buel G. SMITH, of Delevan, N.Y. Not a little of his success is due to the well directed helpfulness of his intelligent and clear headed wife. But 45 years of age, in perfect health, it would seem that many years of usefulness are still before him.

Ed. Note: This biography includes a photograph of Francis J. CHENEY

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Page 1121

Surnames: CLARK, KING, BEACH, HINMAN

Salmon CLARK, son of Salmon CLARK and a native of Vermont, settled in Yorkshire on the farm now owned by Seymour KING at an early day. Some years later he moved onto what is now a part of the Isaac BEACH estate, where he died. He had seven children. His daughter, Polly C. CLARK, married John HINMAN, a native of Vermont and a son of James. John HINMAN settled in Yorkshire in 1831 and in 1838 removed to Great Valley, where his wife died in 1852. He died in 1866. They had thirteen children.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Page 1121

Surnames: DAGGETT, SNOW

Capt. Danforth DAGGETT, son of Ebenezer DAGGETT, was born in Massachusetts, came to Yorkshire in 1830, and engaged in farming. He married Sarah SNOW. Children: Nelson, Phebe, Mary, and Franklin B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Page 1121

Surnames: GOO, HUFSTADER

Hiram GOO came to Ashford from Schuyler, N.Y., about 1821 and carried on the trades of carpenter and millwright. He married Elizabeth HUFSTADER, of Ashford, where he resided about thirty years. He finally moved to Yorkshire, where he died. His wife lives with her daughter Elvira. Children: Eliza, Mary, Ann, Corsand, J.F., Amy, Almira, Elvira, Hiram, Catharine, and Charles T.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Page 1121

Surnames: GRAHAM, THORN, JACOBS, MORSE

George GRAHAM was born in Concord, N.H., Oct. 5, 1801, a son of Asa GRAHAM, who, about 1820, came to Yorkshire with his son, but never became a settler here. George located in town and in a few years returned to Concord, N.H., where he married, Jan. 13, 1825, Lucia THORN, whom he at once brought to his home in Cattaraugus County. She died March 7, 1871, and Feb. 12, 1873, his death occurred. 

Children: 

Joseph C. GRAHAM, born Oct. 14, 1825 

Flora Taylor GRAHAM, deceased 

Sarah L. GRAHAM, born Sept. 22, 1826 

Rozilla A. GRAHAM, born June 8, 1828 

John C. GRAHAM, born Jan. 15, 1833, married Teressa JACOBS, Dec. 15, 1861 

George H. GRAHAM 

Lucia E. GRAHAM, born March 14, 1837, married Solomon HOWE, Oct. 7, 1869 

Walter A. GRAHAM, born April 30, 1839, married Altie E. NYE, Sept. 29, 1866 

Mary J. GRAHAM, born Feb. 4, 1842, died Jan. 20, 1845

Mary L. GRAHAM, born May 15, 1844 

Mr. GRAHAM was first a Whig and later a Republican, and was supervisor of Yorkshire nine terms and justice of the peace twenty-four years. He also held other town offices. George H. GRAHAM, born March 5, 1835, married Ellen M. MORSE, March 24, 1861, and is a farmer near Delevan. He was supervisor in 1881-82 and, like his father, is a representative citizen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Pages 1121 & 1122

Surnames: HALL, MOON, ASHCRAFT, EASTLAND

Lucius HALL, an early settler in this town, was born March 27, 1897. He had sixteen children, forty grandchildren, and twenty-five great-grandchildren. He enlisted in Co. G, 78th N.Y. Vols., and took three of his boys with him: Harvey C. and Wyman in Co. H, 44th N.Y. Vols., and Alfred in Co.G, 78th N.Y. Vols. He died July 27, 1887. Harvey C. HALL, son of Lucius, was born in Alexander, N.Y., Sept. 28, 1840. When he was eight years of age his father moved to Yorkshire. In Sept., 1861, he enlisted in Co. H, 44th N.Y. Vols., was shot in the left shoulder at the battle of Laurel Hill, and was mustered out in 1864. He married Jane, daughter of Chester and Clarissa (MOON) ASHCRAFT: children: Lottie M. (Mrs. Sheldon EASTLAND), and George H. HALL

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Page 1122

Surnames: HARMON, WHEELER, BISHOP, RANDALL

John HARMON, a native of Rupert, Vt., came to Yorkshire in 1823 with his father, Alpheus, who settled upon the farm now owned by Ethan HARMON. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Luther and Lucy WHEELER, and had seven children, of whom two are now living in this town: Mrs. John BISHOP and Ethan (on the homestead). The latter married Sarepta, daughter of Stephen and Angeline RANDALL, of Machias, and has one child, Howard E.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Page 1122

Surnames: HOWE, GOULD, GRAHAM

Solomon HOWE was a grandson of Moses HOWE, a Revolutionary soldier. His father, Aaron, was born in New Hampshire, and after residing elsewhere in this State he finally settled in Cattaraugus county, where he died in 1836. His wife died March 6, 1870. Solomon was born in Groton, N.Y., May 4, 1818, and came to Yorkshire with his parents in 1830. He married, in 1845, Minerva GOULD, who died June 27, 1865. Oct. 7, 1869, her married Lucia E., daughter of George GRAHAM, of this town, who bore him two children: Ormond and Minerva. Mr. HOWE was supervisor of Yorkshire in 1873 and again in 1876, and also held other town offices. He was the Democratic nominee to the Assembly in 1869, but was defeated by George N. West; in 1872 he was a candidate on the same ticket for county superintendent of the poor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Page 1122

Surnames: KING, WINSLOW, JOSLIN, ROGERS, SHERMAN, WILLIAMS, HOUSE, WALPOLE, CARNEY, STEELE, CONGER, SILLIMAN

Samuel KING came from Darien, Genessee county, to Machias in 1823, bringing his wife, Sabra A. WINSLOW, and six children with an ox-team. He articled 100 acres of land, built a log house, and set out an orchard, and three years later traded it for 137 acres in Yorkshire, where he reared his family. His wife died in 1864 and he in 1876. Children: B. Franklin, Clarissa, Stephen W., Simeon K., Solomon J., Angeline, Frederick W., Samuel S., Lydia A., Almari, and Betsy KING. Those living are Solomon J. KING in Farmersville, Clarissa (Mrs. Lyman JOSLIN) in Yorkshire, and Almari (Mrs. L. ROGERS) in Freedom.

Charles KING, son of Reuben KING was born in Alexander, N.Y., and in 1838 settled on the farm in Yorkshire now owned by his son Marvin D. KING where he died. He was a farmer and held several important town offices. He married Clara SHERMAN, by whom he had four children. His second wife was Betsey WILLIAMS, who bore him four children. His son William W. KING, now living at West Yorkshire, came to the town in 1840. He married Harriet P., daughter of Harry HOUSE, and has one child living, Mrs. Minnie M. WALPOLE.

Seymour KING, son of Alvah and Hannah (CARNEY) KING, was born in Sardinia, N.Y., Feb. 25, 1830. In 1860 he married Ann Eliza, daughter of Robert and Martha STEELE, and settled on the place where he now resides. Children: Frank S., Manley E., Ernest R., and Mertie E. (Mrs. L. CONGER). His wife died in 1872 and he married, second, Sarah SILLIMAN. He has been assessor several years and by occupation is a farmer and an apiarist.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Page 1122

Surnames: LANGMADE, DOW, DAVIS

The LANGMADE’s were among the first settlers in this town. Stephen LANGMADE settled here as early as 1810 with the DOW’s. They came from Vermont. Later his brother, Dr. William LANGMADE, came in. The doctor was in the War of 1812 and reared thirteen children, all of whom attained manhood. Solomon LANGMADE, another brother, was in the War of 1812 and lived to the age of ninety-nine years and eight months, dying in 1892. Dr. LANGMADE, was the father of A.J. LANGMADE, who served three years and six months in Co. K, 105th N.Y. Vols., and in Co. K, 94th N.Y. Vols., spending six months of the time in rebel prisons. Laura A., daughter of Daniel DAVIS, the first school teacher in Yorkshire, was the wife of Dr. LANGMADE. She was one of the pupils of the first three years of school taught in town.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Page 1123

Surnames: OLTHOF, VANDERLICK

Berena OLTHOF came from Ibergun, Holland, and located in this town in 1850. He was a shoemaker by trade, but the later years of his life were devoted mainly to farming. Six years he spent in Holland in the army. Shortly after his removal to this place he married Elizabeth VANDERLICK, also of Holland. Five children were born to them, three of whom are living – one son and two daughters. Mr. OLTHOF died in 1884. His son, Henry B. OLTHOF and widowed mother occupy the homestead two miles south of Yorkshire Center. Mr. OLTHOF was a good citizen, just and honorable in his dealings, very decided in his opinions, both political and religious, and his mind, once made up, like the laws of the Medes and Persians, was not subject to change.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Page 1123

Surnames: PERRYMAN, PHINNEY, HOLLOWAY, BIGELOW

John PERRYMAN came to Yorkshire about 1834. His son, A. PERRYMAN, came at the same time and settled on the farm now owned by A. PHINNEY. He died in South Wales, Erie county. He married Elizabeth HOLLOWAY and had seven children, of whom only one is living in town: Green PERRYMAN, who married Emeline BIGELOW. The latter enlisted in Co. K, 105th N.Y. Vols., and served three years. He was wounded at the battle near Petersburg and was in most all the engagements of the regiment. His children living are: Lovina and Adda.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Page 1123

Surnames: PIERCE, THORNTON, GOO, BASTION

Ezekiel PIERCE was born in Penfield, Monroe county, in 1809, and came to Yorkshire in 1825. In 1840 he purchased a farm one mile south of the Center, which he occupied until his death, which occurred in 1892. Mr. PIERCE was a fair type of the early settlers: a man of strict integrity, true to his friends, ever ready to reach out a helping hand to the needy, and in his death the community lost a good citizen. Mrs. PIERCE’s father, Richard THORNTON, built the first saw-mill in this town, the one now owned by GOO & BASTION in Delevan.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

(Insert by publisher between pages 1122 and 1123)

Surnames: SILLIMAN, COSTON

SAMUEL SILLIMAN was born May 2, 1793, at Arlington VT. He came to Yorkshire in 1812 and secured a piece of land of the Holland Company, and returned to Vermont. In 1814, he again came to Cattaraugus County, this time on foot, walking as far as sixty-five miles between sunrise and sunset. Oct 13, 1818, he married Sally COSTON of Sardinia, Erie Co by whom he had five sons and two daughters, all of whom now reside in Yorkshire except two sons - one who died in 1835, aged sixteen, and another who lives in Osage, Iowa. Mr. SILLIMAN, after his permanent settlement here in 1814, was a resident of this town until his death, except 3 years he spent in Ohio. He held several town offices and in 1824 was captain of the 181st Regiment of NY State Militia. He died at his home in Yorkshire on Nov 2, 1878.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Page 1123

Surnames: STONE, SILLIMAN, THOMAS, CARTER

Alpheus STONE, a native of Mendon, Mass., came to Yorkshire in 1830 and settled on the farm now owned by Fred SILLIMAN, where he lived several years. He afterward moved to Yorkshire Center and resided with his daughter, Mrs. N. T. THOMAS, and died Dec. 4, 1878. His wife, Sinda (CARTER) STONE, died July 18, 1865. He was a mason by trade and had two sons (both dead) and one daughter (Loretta, now Mrs. N. T. THOMAS). He served in the War of 1812 and drew a pension several years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Pages 1123 & 1124

Surnames: STRONG, PADDOCK

John STRONG was born of Dutch parentage in old Fort Herkimer in 1800 and came from Mohawk, N.Y., in 1850 and settled on a farm now in Yorkshire Center village limits. He was a blacksmith by trade, but devoted a part of his time to farming. He had three sons and two daughters, four of whom reside in the Center and one (a daughter) in Iowa. He died in 1869. Two of the sons, William and Darius STRONG occupy the homestead. This house is said to be the first frame building erected in the village limits. It has been added to in recent years, but the original is still in good condition. It dates back nearly seventy years. There is a story connected with the building of this dwelling which is well worth telling. It was built by a man named PADDOCK. When partly completed he ran short of funds, and being something of a sport and the owner of a fast horse he got up a scheme to "do up" the sporting men at the races soon to come off at Rochester. His wife was privy to it. They started for Rochester a day or two before the races, and at the outskirts of the town he left his wife to drive in later, while he went to the horsemen’s headquarters on foot. PADDOCK could get drunk on occasion or he could feign drunkenness so perfectly as to deceive the elect, and that is just what he did on this occasion; and steadying himself against the bar he offered to bet $100 that he could take the first horse that came along the street and beat anything they had. It did not take long to arrange such a bet as that and Paddock was on the street waiting for a horse which, as pre-arranged, soon came along. The woman was naturally very indignant for being stopped on the street by a drunken man, but the promise of a good dinner and $5 settled it and the horse was secured. Whether the Rochester sports ever found out the full extent of the joke played on them was never learned, but that sorry looking horse, hitched to an old democrat wagon, was really one of the fleetest racers in western New York, and PADDOCK returned to Yorkshire with a load of nails and glass to finish his house.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Page 1124

Surnames: THOMAS, THWING, STONE, DARTE, HINMAN, STEELE, SOVEREIGN

Thomas THOMAS, a native of Mendon, Mass., came here in 1836 and settled at West Yorkshire, where he worked at shoemaking for his son George W. THOMAS, who carried on tanning and shoemaking. He died Aug. 2, 1860. His wife, Sabria (THWING), died Nov. 26, 1835. He had six sons and a daughter.

N.T. THOMAS came to West Yorkshire in 1837 and worked for his brother G. W. THOMAS at shoemaking. He married Loretta STONE and has one child, Emeline S. (Mrs. B. F. DARTE).

George W. THOMAS, son of Thomas THOMAS, came to West Yorkshire and erected a tannery and carried on that and shoemaking forty years. He married Priscilla C., daughter of John HINMAN, and had six children. He died at Yorkshire Corners in 1892.

Joseph G. THOMAS, son of Thomas THOMAS, settled in Yorkshire in 1836. He was a farmer and Married Martha R., daughter of John and Millie STEELE. Of his four children three are living: George R., Bertha B., and Lula A. (Mrs. Baxter SOVEREIGN)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Page 1124

Surnames: TURNER, PADDOCK, AUSTIN

Caleb TURNER, son of William TURNER was born in Westfield, Mass., Dec. 22, 1808. In 1826 he came to Yorkshire and settled on the farm where he now resides. He is said to be the only one now living in town who articled the land from the Holland Land Company. He married Polly PADDOCK, by whom he has had five children, three of whom are living: Orson O., George C. and Mary O. TURNER.

He married second, Mrs. Algera AUSTIN, by whom he has seven children: William D., Edwin O., Harvey R., Waller S., Cory B., Franklin I. and Emma J. TURNER

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Page 1124

Surnames: WEEKS, HERRIOTT, LANGMADE

Obadiah WEEKS, son of Roland WEEKS, was born in New Salem, Mass., in 1794. He married Jerusha HERRIOTT, of Great Bend, Pa., and in 1822 moved to Yorkshire and settled on a farm now owned by William Burns. Here he died July 4, 1872. His wife died Nov. 21, 1869. Of their five children two are living: Mary H., of Franklinville, and Riley, of Yorkshire Center. The latter married Clarissa, daughter of Stephen S. LANGMADE, and has four children: Ina B., Netta E., Grant W., and John A.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Page 1124

Surnames: WHEELER, ARUNDEL, HARMON

Luther WHEELER, a native of Danbury, Conn., came to Yorkshire in 1823 and settled on the farm now owned by J. W. Nourse. He married Lucy ARUNDEL and had nine children, of whom only Mrs. John HARMON is living.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Page 1124

Surnames: WHITING, WHEAT, DWINELL

George H. WHITING came to this town in 1840. He was living in Yorkshire in 1860, when on the 29th of July, one of the most horrible murders ever known in western New York was committed. Ann WHEAT, whose maiden name was Ann DWINELL, was murdered by James WHEAT, her husband, and Salmon WHEAT, her father-in-law.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Yorkshire – Chapter XLVIII (48)

Pages 1124 & 1125

Surnames: WILLIAMS, SACKETT

Isaac WILLIAMS came from Vermont and took up 300 acres of land where Yorkshire Corners now stands, where he built the first frame house in town and where his son Proctor WILLIAMS kept the first hotel. He also built the first saw and grist-mill on Cattaraugus Creek in 1814. He afterward removed to Aurora, N.Y., where he worked at the cooper’s trade, and thence returned to Ashford. Albert WILLIAMS, son of Isaac, was born in Vermont, came to Yorkshire, married Melinda SACKETT, moved to Ashford about 1833, and settled where Richard WILLIAMS now lives. Children: Richard, Aurilla, Riley, Isaac, Harvey A., Eliza, and Peter WILLIAMS.
 

Back To Cattaraugus County


If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact me at:

Painted Hills

This page is maintained by the PHGS
 Last Update January 25, 2004

© 2002 by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society
Main | Email Us | Look-Ups | Members Family Pages
Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer

Website designed by Frankie Stonemetz
2002© Painted Hills Genealogy Society
All Rights Reserved