TOWN OF SALAMANCA
 

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES FROM: "HISTORICAL GAZETTEER AND BIOGRAPHICAL MEMORIAL of CATTARAUGUS COUNTY, NY, ed by WILLIAM ADAMS, Published 1893
 

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Pages 1092 & 1093

Surnames: ANDREWS, LATTIN, BENSON, LAING

Jerome A. ANDREWS, the second child of Willis M. and Mariette ANDREWS., was born at East Otto, Jan. 6, 1839, and married Emma LATTIN, daughter of Linus LATTIN, of Mansfield, Sept. 23, 1868. Their children are Bret, born Feb. 5, 1871, married Fannie, daughter of A. F. BENSON, of Cattaraugus, Jan. 28, 1893; Neil, born Dec. 27, 1874, a law student in Buffalo; and Max, born July 4, 1884. Jerome A. remained on the farm till April, 1861, when he enlisted in Co. I, 37th N. Y. Vols., in which he served as private and sergeant through all the hard-fought battles during his term of enlistment, re-enlisting in 1865 as veteran and first lieutenant. Immediately subsequent to the fall of the Confederacy he engaged in the sale of general merchandise with his brother G. W. at East Otto, continuing until 1869, when be went to New Albion, where he was postmaster, and subsequently removing to Cattaraugus, where he engaged in the same business. Thence he went to Salamanca and engaged in the hardware trade with Hon. S. S. LAING, which business he still follows with his oldest son Bret as J. A. ANDREWS & Son. He is prominent in G. A. R. circles and has been several times commander of E. A. ANDREWS Post, No. 287, which was named for his brother, and has also been a delegate to State and National encampments. He is now an aid-de-camp on the staff of the department commander of the State of New York. (See also p. 552.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1093

Surnames: BEERS, OSTERBANK

James S. BEERS's father, Benjamin BEERS, and mother, Sarah OSTERBANK, were natives of Connecticut. He was born in Westchester county, N, Y., in 1816, and settled in Little Valley in 1850, whence he removed to West Salamanca in the fall of 1864, where he still resides. His leading life occupation has been that of a jeweler.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1093

Surnames: BECKWITH, SEIL

Stephen A, BECKWITH, born in Fredonia, N. Y., Aug. 5, 1837, attended the common schools, and at the age of eighteen began the trade of a carriage painter. May 17, 1861, he enlisted in Co. H, 37th N. Y. Vols., was mustered in June 7, 1861, and was discharged June 22, 1863. He was at the first battle of Bull Run, served in the Peninsula campaign, and was at Chancellorsville. In Jan., 1862, he was detailed on recruiting service and spent about three months in New York city. At Fair Oaks he had an attack of typhoid fever and was sent in a delirious condition to the hospital on David's Island. Returning to his regiment he participated in the battle of Fredericksburg and at the close of the war returned home with the rank of sergeant. He married, Oct. 19, 1864, Philopene SEIL. In the fall of 1875 he removed to Salamanca, where he is engaged in the manufacture, repair, and sale of carriages. He is a member of Sherwood Post, No. 380, and has two sons and two daughters.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1093

Surnames: BROWNELL, FURLOW

Jerome BROWNELL was born in Perrington, N. Y., Oct. 19, 1843. Aug. 8, 1862, he enlisted in Co. E, 108th N. Y. Vols., and fought his first battle at Antietam, Sept. 17, 1862. He was also at Chancellorsville and at Gettysburg, where he was struck by bullets five times and received a severe wound in his right shoulder. After recovering he went into the Second Brigade brass band as a musician in the Veteran Reserve Corps and was discharged July 25, 1865. He was then a miller in several places until 1880, when he settled in Salamanca, where he now resides, and where he is an engineer. He is now serving his second term as commander of Sherwood Post, No. 380, G. A. R. March 21, 1866, he married Patience A. FURLOW. Children: James C. and Willard J.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1093

Surnames: CRANDALL, DUNCAN, PICKETT

Homer E. CRANDALL, son of Ira C. and Sarah J. (DUNCAN) CRANDALL, was born in Mansfield in 1863. About 1873 his father, who had been a farmer in Napoli, removed to the village of Cattaraugus, where he engaged in mercantile business. Homer E. attended the public schools and Chamberlain Institute, and at the age of fourteen began teaching common schools and taught five terms. He then entered a drug store in Randolph. In 1882 he came to Salamanca, where he remained a year with Dr. C. P. Colgrove and the late Dr. Day. In 1883 he entered the New York College of Pharmacy and was graduated therefrom in 1884. For one year he was in New York in charge of the prescription department in Murray Hill pharmacy and then returned to Salamanca as a clerk in the Palace drug store. At the death of Dr. Day he became his successor. April 26, 1888, he married Nellie V. PICKETT.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Pages 1093 & 1094

Surnames: CRAWFORD, THOMPSON, MILES, McCULLOUGH, BADGER, BOARDMAN

William P. CRAWFORD, son of judge William and Nancy (REED) CRAWFORD, was born in Emlenton, Pa., March 15, 1810. His father was a prominent citizen of Venango county and held the office of judge. William P. came to Cattaraugus county in the fall of 1832, and engaged in cutting and hauling pine timber to the saw-mills. In the spring he ran a raft to Pittsburg and was thenceforward a river pilot until the railroad was completed. About 1839, with Jonathan THOMPSON, Robert MILES, and John McCULLOUGH, he built the Bucktooth mills on the south bank of the Allegheny river, about one mile below West Salamanca. Around these mills sprung up a little hamlet of about twenty families, which was the first within the town of Salamanca. He bought quite extensively of the timber of the Indians on the reservation and of the white settlers. In 1841 he married Catherine S., daughter of Luther BADGER, also a pioneer of Bucktooth Mills. In the fall of 1847 he moved his family to the homestead, where he died Feb. 25, 1891. He succeeded John BOARDMAN as postmaster about 1852 and held the position twenty-two years. He held most of the important offices of the town and in politics was first a Whig and later a Republican. He was often a delegate to political conventions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1094

Surnames: DAVENPORT, LOWNSBERRY, BARKER

Westbrook L. DAVENPORT, son of Cyrinius and Cornelia (LOWNSBERRY) DAVENPORT, was born in Wawarsing, N. Y., April 3, 1846. He began life as a driver for his father on the Delaware & Hudson canal, his father being proprietor of two canal boats. In Dec., 1863, he enlisted in Co. G, 56th N. Y. Vols., and served until the close of the war. He received a gun-shot wound in his foot at the battle of Honey Hill near Charleston, S. C. In the spring of 1871 he settled in Salamanca and became an employee of the Erie railroad, being now assistant cashier of the freight department. Mr. DAVENPORT is a staunch Republican and has been adjutant of Sherwood Post, No. 380, G. A. R. Oct. 17, 1875, he married M. Etta, daughter of H. V. B. BARKER, of Cuba, N. Y. They have two sons and a daughter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1094

Surnames: DOTY, JOHNSON, MORGAN

Charles A. DOTY was born in Geneseo, N. Y., July 25, 1860. His father, William H. DOTY, was a customs house officer in New York city, where the family resided several years. He learned the trade of harness making and in 1882 came to Salamanca, where he still resides. In May, 1885, he purchased a harness business and has since conducted a thriving trade. He married Mary L., daughter of Henry JOHNSON, of Salamanca, and has one son. His uncle, Lockwood L. DOTY, was Governor MORGAN's private secretary and the editor of the Livingston Republican.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1094

Surnames: EATON, McKEEN, MALONEY

Benjamin F. EATON, son of Ira and Priscilla (McKEEN) EATON, was born in Colden, N. Y., Dec. 22, 1843. His father was a native of New Hampshire and of English descent. His mother was also born in New Hampshire and was of Scotch ancestry. He supplemented his public school education with a term at Griffith Institute in Springville. He spent fifteen years in the west, principally in Iowa, engaged in stock-raising and farming. Returning to his native State in Feb., 1882, he spent two years in farming in Springville and in 1884 settled in Salamanca, where he is still engaged in merchandizing. In Jan., 1879, he married Anna MALONEY, of West Valley. Children: Albert R., Mabel Blanche, Franklin J., and Viva J.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Pages 1094 & 1095

Surnames: FISH, FIELDS, BURNSIDE, BRACE

William T. FISH, son of Joseph and Lucia (FIELDS) FISH, was born in Tioga county, Pa., in 1836, early learned the shoemaker's trade, and entered the store of his brother at Kill Buck as a clerk. When his brother sold to Charles BURNSIDE Mr. FISH was placed in charge of the store and all of Mr. BURNSIDE's book-keeping. Two years later he was admitted to partnership in the store under the firm name of W. T. FISH & Co. Two years afterward they built the first store in Salamanca and opened it for trade in the spring of 1865. A year later Mr. FISH purchased the interest of Mr. BURNSIDE and has since conducted business alone. In. the great fire in 1880 his store and stock were destroyed. He immediately rebuilt his present brick block. In 1880 he was influential in organizing the First National Bank of Salamanca and has since been one of its directors. He is a staunch Republican and has often served as a delegate to conventions. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and was six years a member of the Board of Education. In 1862 he married Mary J. BRACE, of Dunkirk, N. Y. Children: William J., Charles A., and Minnie C.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1095

Surnames: FITTS, BAYLEY, HALL, WHITMORE, GILLIES

James G. FITTS, son of Isaac and Nancy (BAYLEY) FITTS, natives of Southampton, Mass., was born in Dorchester, N. H., Nov. 30, 1829. His father, a pioneer farmer, removed to Dorchester in 1812 or 1813. He began business as a carpenter and was engaged near Boston about four years. In 1856 he came to Cattaraugus county and engaged in manufacturing lumber by contract for Blake, Elwell & Co., of Kill Buck, where he remained until 1869, when he settled in Salamanca (then Bucktooth). He assumed the management of the Hemlock mills under contract with HALL & WHITMORE to saw all the pine timber on a tract of 7,000 or 8,000 acres. This employed him thirteen years. During this time Mr. FITTS manufactured an aggregate of 50,000,000 feet of pine and a large quantity of hemlock lumber and gave employment to fifty or sixty men. In 1883 he became, with Alonzo M. KENT, proprietor of the. Hemlock mills. Mr. FITTS also divided a tract of seventy-five acres into village lots. His brother, Ephraim FITTS, was supervisor of Great Valley in 1885. In Feb., 1861, he married Mary C. GILLIES, of Scotch descent, who was born on the Atlantic ocean in 1843. He died April 2, 1893.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1095

Surnames: FOSDICK, HUMPHREY, DOW, WINDSOR

Hiram FOSDICK, son of Samuel and Caroline (HUMPHREY) FOSDICK, was born in Erie county, N. Y., Feb. 14, 1827, and was reared in Youngstown, Niagara county. He became a tailor and when eighteen went to Michigan, where he remained five years as a journeyman. He also learned of his father the trade of carpenter and in 1849 settled in Randolph, where he resumed his trade as a tailor, which he conducted several years. On account of impaired health he took up the business of carpenter, which he continued until 1860, when he became the book-keeper and salesman for A. G. DOW, then dealing in hardware. In Feb., 1863, he went to Memphis, Tenn., where he was citizen clerk in the post quartermaster's department. In December he returned to Randolph and had charge of Hon. A. G. DOW's banking business in his absence as member of Assembly. In the spring of 1864 Mr. DOW bought a hardware business in East Randolph and made Mr. FOSDICK his equal partner. In 1865 that business was closed up and consolidated with Warren DOWS's stock of hardware in Randolph and the combined store was conducted under the firm name of DOW & FOSDICK until 1868, when the business was sold. April 1, 1869, he again entered Mr. DOW's banking office, where he remained until Oct., 1875, when he had a position with the State Bank of Randolph, where he was employed until he resigned March 1, 1882, to accept the position of cashier of the Salamanca National Bank, which position he has since filled. In 1866 Mr. FOSDICK married Helen WINDSOR, of York, N. Y.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Pages 1095 & 1096

Surnames: GALLAGHER, ANSLEY, LAMB, VEDDER

Charles E. GALLAGHER was born of Irish parentage in Little Valley, June 15, 1849, was educated in the common schools and in Randolph Academy, studied law with Hudson ANSLEY and others, and had charge of the law office of Judge LAMB and C. P. VEDDER in Salamanca about two years, but never made application for admission to the bar. His sight became impaired and for a while he was totally blind. Partially recovering he opened a hardware and grocery store in Salamanca and is now engaged in the sale of hardware, agricultural implements, carriages, and sleighs, and as a contractor and builder.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1096

Surnames: GARDNER, COYLE

Frank H. GARDNER was born in Salamanca, Feb. 3. 1862. He is the son of C. S. GARDNER and received a good business education in Cleveland, Ohio, after which he learned the printer's trade in his native village. He married Annie COYLE, Oct. 27, 1884, and has three children.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1096

Surnames: GIBSON, FITTS, ANSLEY

C. R. GIBSON has resided in Salamanca several years. He built the opera house in 1890, on the site of the one erected by FITTS & ANSLEY, and has recently metamorphosed it into stores. He is a wholesale dealer in wines and liquors and one of the substantial men of the village.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1096

Surnames: GILLESPIE, FOWLER, KRIEGER

Noble H. GILLESPIE, a native of the North of Ireland and of Scotch descent was born May 3, 1859, emigrated to America in the spring of 1880, and settled in Chicago, where he was engaged in the meat packing establishment of FOWLER Brothers, who sent him to Salamanca in 1881 to superintend their refrigerator department. He was their agent alternately in Chicago and Salamanca until 1889, since which time he has been a permanent resident here and is now engaged in the harness business. Oct. 28, 1886, he married Emma, daughter of A. H. KRIEGER.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1096

Surnames: HALL, GAYLORD, HALLECK, PEABODY, PHILLIPS, COWLES

Rev. William HALL, son of Ephraim, was born in Dracut, Mass., Sept. 20, 1808. His father settled in Hanover, N.Y., in 1810. At the age of twenty-six he was ordained a minister of the Congregational church. Oct. 22, 1834, he married Emeline GAYLORD and the next day came with his bride to the Allegany reservation and located at Bucktooth Mills as an Indian missionary to the Seneca Nation. In May following his house was burned and one Indian boy perished in the flames. He then removed to Old Town in South Valley, where he labored as an Indian missionary, being sustained by the American Board of Foreign Missions, and had very little intercourse with white people for twenty years. Except about ten years which he spent as a home missionary in London, Mich., he labored constantly as a Christian minister with the Seneca Indians. In 1878 he was placed on the retired list, but he has continually preached to his Indian congregation. He resides in West Salamanca. His life work has been one of great hardship and self-denial. Feb. 17, 1882, his wife died; of three sons and three daughters three are living; Silas C., Mrs. Lydia S. HALLECK, and Mrs. Clarissa PEABODY. Nov. 24, 1891, Mr. HALL married Mrs. Sophia M. (PHILLIPS), widow of Sylvester COWLES, D.D., of Randolph.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1096

Surnames: HOAG, BROWN

Robert H. HOAG, son of Alexander and Margaret (BROWN) HOAG, was born in County Entran, North of Ireland, in 1842, of Scotch ancestry, and came to America with his parents, a brother, and three sisters in 1846, spending three years in the city of New York, where Alexander was engaged as a stone mason. The family settled in 1849 in Humphrey, whence, in 1876, he removed to Salamanca, where he still resides. Robert H. HOAG enlisted Oct. 2, 1861, in Co. I, 37th N. Y. Vols., participated in the battles of Williamsburg, Seven Pines, and siege of Richmond, and was discharged for disability. In 1880 he settled in Salamanca and since 1884 has been the business manager of the firm of R. H. HOAG & Co. He is a member of Sherwood Post, G. A. R.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Pages 1096 & 1097

Surnames: KEATING, CARRAN

James C. KEATING, son of John and Ellen (CARRAN) KEATING, was born in Hanover, N. Y., April 18, 1856. He learned telegraphy and was employed by the Erie Railroad Company from the age of seventeen until 1879. He conducted the Union House in Olean in 1880 and was again a telegraph operator until the fall of 1882. He then settled in Salamanca and conducted a restaurant. In 1890 he erected Hotel Keating and opened it to the public Jan. 1, 1891. He has one of the best hotels in Cattaraugus county.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1097

Surnames: KELSEY, CARVER, OLIN, FLINT

Truman KELSEY, son of Samuel and Elizabeth (CARVER) KELSEY, was born in Smyrna, N. Y., June 30, 1801. Jan. 27, 1825, he married Laura OLIN, who was born in Vermont, Feb. 25, 1807. In 1825 they settled in Great Valley one mile west of Peth, where Mrs. KELSEY died Oct. 27, 1856. Soon afterward Mr. KELSEY went to Delevan, Wis., where he died. He held most of the town offices and was many years a justice of the peace. He had six sons and seven daughters, of whom one son died in infancy.

Kathalo KELSEY, the third son of Truman, was born on the homestead in Great Valley, Dec. 25, 1830, and was educated in the common schools, in the Ellicottville Union School, and in Olean Academy, and began business as a teamster in the lumber woods. He also taught district schools in winter and with his brother Samuel bought the homestead, which for several years they conducted, having also an extensive nursery of fruit trees, shrubs, etc. From 1868 to 1873 he was a farmer in Kansas. Returning to Cattaraugus county he settled in 1875 in Salamanca, where he has since followed the professions of civil engineering and land surveying. Sept. 2, 1861, he married Agnes FLINT, of Great Valley, and has five children. They belong to the Baptist church.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1097

Surnames: LAING, ANDREWS, EDDY

Hon. Solon S. LAING, son of John (see page 557) was born in East Otto in 1847 and was educated in the common schools and in the Buffalo Commercial College. In 1876 he began business as a hardware dealer in his native town, where he carried on trade eighteen years. He is now of the firm of LAING & ANDREWS, hardware dealers in Salamanca. Mr. LAING is a prominent Democrat and represented East Otto on the Board of Supervisors in 1884, 1885, 1889, and 1890, was sixteen years a member and two years chairman of the Democratic County Committee, and several times represented his district in State conventions. He was postmaster of East Otto several years, cashier of the Bank of Cattaraugus some time, and for five years has been president of that institution. He was elected member of Assembly in 1891 and was placed on the Committee of Ways and Means, of Agriculture, and of Indian Affairs. In the spring of 1892 he removed to Salamanca, where he now resides. In the fall of 1876 he married Martha D. EDDY, of Mansfield, and has a son and a daughter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1097

Surname: McDONELL

John D. McDONELL, born in Ottawa, Canada, in the year 1826, was educated in the public schools and academies, was a clerk in his uncle's general store and lumber camps, and began business as a merchant in his native city (then Bytown), where he remained until 1856, when he came to this State. In 1859 he became a clerk for the Erie railroad and in 1866 settled in Salamanca. Since 1888 he has conducted a news, book, and stationery business. He is of staunch Highland Scotch descent and inherits many native characteristics.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Pages 1097 & 1098

Surnames: McKAY, McPHERSON

Richard J. McKAY, of Scotch descent, was born in Mansfield, April 23, 1842. His great-great-grandfather, Elkenny McKAY, emigrated to America from Edinburgh, Scotland, about 1725. His father was one of the well-known McKAY family of nine brothers. Richard J., in Aug., 1863, enlisted in the 13th N. Y. H. A., but was rejected by the examining surgeon. He began business as a butcher and dealer in meat in West Salamanca in 1863. With and without partners he dealt extensively until 1864 in horses, cattle, and sheep, which he shipped to eastern markets and later to the Pennsylvania oil regions, and produced oil near Titusville, where he had a packing and wholesale pork and beef market in 1871. In 1874 he began buying dead and crippled stock in the West Salamanca stock yards and soon made this a very profitable business. In 1876 he was made cashier of the stock yards and a year later became general manager. In 1882 he leased the yards and in 1883 Hon. John R. McPHERSON associated in business with him, and the yards were enlarged and the business reached huge proportions. Mr. McKAY was elected the first president of the village of West Salamanca in 1884 and became a director of the First National Bank of Salamanca in April, 1880, resigning the position in July, 1889. He was elected president of the Salamanca National Bank in April, 1889, and held the position at the time of his death. When Mr. McKAY became president of the bank the management of the stock yards was given to his son, John J. McKAY, who has since conducted the business. Mr. McKAY died in Aug., 1891.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1098

Surnames: MESSINGER, BACHMANN

Peter MESSINGER, born in Baden, Germany, June 5, 1831, was there a drafted soldier at the age of twenty-one and served in the German army until 1855. Without leave of absence he emigrated to America in a sailing vessel, which was six weeks crossing the Atlantic. He arrived in Kill Buck, Sept. 20, 1855, and on the 24th engaged as a laborer in the Hemlock mills. Aug. 12, 1862, he enlisted in Co. A, 154th N. Y. Vols., and was discharged June 21, 1865. He participated in the battles of Chancellorsville and of Gettysburg, where he was taken prisoner and confined in the southern prisons until March 1, 1865, when he was paroled and taken to the Union hospital, whence he was sent home on a furlough and was finally discharged at Elmira. In Sept., 1871, he entered the employ of the Atlantic & Great Western railroad, and since 1872 has been local car inspector for the Erie railroad. He is a member of Sherwood Post, No. 380, G. A. R. July 9, 1857, he married Catherine BACHMANN, of Germany; children: Carl H., born June 4, 1858; Cora M., born May 29, 1866; and Emma, born Sept. 30, 1868.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1098

Surname: MILLER

The MILLER Brothers (E. H. and H. J.), dealers in wall papers, window shades, etc., who employ constantly a corps of skilled workman in paper hanging and painting, have been located in Salamanca since 1881. Their enterprise has become one of the leading industries of the town.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1098

Surnames: NEIS, KRIEGER, COAST

Charles NEIS, born in Prussia, Germany, in 1848, received a substantial education in the public schools of his native country, and in 1867 emigrated to America and joined his sister, Mrs. KRIEGER, in Salamanca, where he still resides. He began business as a journeyman cabinet maker and soon established a trade of his own. About 1876 he engaged in dealing in real estate and became also an extensive builder on his own lands, having completed in Salamanca the new NEIS block at a cost of about $25,000. He also erected the brick block on the corner of Main and Maple streets and besides has built numerous hotels and dwelling houses in Salamanca and in Bradford, Pa. He has been trustee and treasurer of the village and was one of the founders and continuously a director of the First National Bank. In the spring of 1878 he married Emma COAST, of Olean, and has five sons and two daughters.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1098

Surnames: NICHOLS, SEELEY

John J. NICHOLS, son of John and Ann (SEELEY) NICHOLS, was born in Warsaw, N. Y., May 16, 1843, and was reared a farmer. Oct. 29, 1861, he enlisted in Co. D, 64th N. Y. Vols., and was discharged with the rank of sergeant Oct. 29, 1864. He participated in all the battles of his regiment until his discharge, and at the Wilderness was under fire every day from May 6 until July 30, 1864.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1098

Surname: NORTON

E. F. NORTON is engaged in the sale of watches, clocks, and jewelry in Salamanca, and is a man of high character and sound business principles.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1099

Surnames: O’BRIEN, SULLIVAN

John O'BRIEN, born June 22, 1859, in Limestone, attended the schools of Salamanca and his native town, followed railroading for a time, and finally settled permanently in Salamanca, where he conducts a billiard parlor. May 13, 1885, he married Ettie, daughter of M. M. SULLLIVAN.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1099

Surnames: PALMER, BARBER, JONES, WATSON, SPRAGUE

William C. PALMER, son of Amos N. and Mary (BARBER) PALMER, was born in Hopkinton, R. I., in 1833. At the age of eighteen he became a clerk in a general store and in 1871 came to East Randolph as a dealer in groceries, where he remained in trade until 1877, when he established the same business in Salamanca, where he still resides. About 1888 he formed a partnership with Thomas P. JONES under the firm name of PALMER & JONES. They also have a large store in Bradford, Pa. In 1856 he married Sarah J. WATSON, of South Kingston, R. I., and they have had three sons and five daughters; one of the daughters and all the sons are deceased; those living are Eveline (Mrs. A. P. SPRAGUE), Media (Mrs. Benjamin WATSON), Susie, and Ruby.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1099

Surnames: PALMER, WALKER, CHASE, HEVENOR, HALE, SMITH

J. Davis PALMER, born in Lindley, N. Y., May 31, 1850, came to Salamanca in the fall of 1869 and purchased the interest of Robert H. WALKER in a grocery business in which Mr. WALKER was a partner with James H. PALMER, brother of J. D. He was a merchant with his brother three or four years under the firm name of PALMER Brothers, and was a clerk in the express office under A. M. CHASE from 1874 until 1879, when he became express messenger, which position he still holds. His brother formed a partnership with HEVENOR Brothers, sold to them, and afterward was a druggist, which business he continued until his death Dec. 6, 1874. J. D. PALMER married Emma, daughter of Daniel HALE, of Olean; children: Arthur D. (who married Anna SMITH, of Newark, N. Y., and has one daughter), Ralph H., Estelle, and Alma.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1099

Surnames: PATTERSON, HOWE

Daniel H. and Otis H. PATTERSON, oldest and youngest sons of Robert and Charlotte (HOWE) PATTERSON, are natives of Great Valley. They began business as lumbermen, which has always been their avocation. They built their mills in Salamanca village, on the Allegheny river, in the fall of 1880 and began sawing lumber Jan. 6, 1881. They manufacture annually from 5,000,000 to 6,000,000 feet. Robert PATTERSON was born in Center township, Butler county, Pa., Dec. 3, 1800. Their grandfather was a native of Cumberland county, Pa., was a farmer, and died in Butler county, Pa., in 1847. Their great-grandfather emigrated from Scotland at an early day and settled in Cumberland county. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary war and was killed. Robert PATTERSON settled in Great Valley in 1827, where he was a lumberman, hotel keeper, and farmer. He cast his first presidential vote for Henry Clay and after the formation of the Republican party he labored for its success. He was a Presbyterian. Mr. and Mrs. PATTERSON are deceased,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1099

Surnames: REEVES, CHILDS

Frank A. REEVES, of West Salamanca, son of George W. (see page 501) was born Nov. 30, 1857. He was a student in Chamberlain Institute five years and commenced teaching public schools before he was seventeen years of age, teaching in all twenty-eight terms. In 1877 he was principal of the Union School of West Salamanca, was principal of the graded school of Columbus, Pa., two years, and then engaged in general merchandizing. He was burned out in Sept., 1889, and is now conducting a grocery store. In June, 1889, he was appointed postmaster of West Salamanca, which position he still holds. He has also served as trustee of the village. March 27, 1879, he married Nellie J. CHILDS, of West Salamanca.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Pages 1099 & 1100

Surnames: REYNOLDS, VEDDER

Elisha REYNOLDS was born in Savoy, Mass., Dec. 10, 1816, and in 1844 married Maria, sister of Hon. Commodore P. VEDDER. For many years he resided in Franklinville, but latterly lived in Salamanca with his son, Vedder C. REYNOLDS, where he died May 19, 1893. His wife died in Franklinville, March 4, 1884. All their six children survive them. (See page 400.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1100

Surnames: SENEAR, GREEN

Oscar B. SENEAR, son of George W., was born in Milford, N. Y., Dec. 15, 1831, removed with his parents to Ellicottville in 1833, and became a salesman in a general store. In 1857 he was admitted a partner with one of his employers, Francis GREEN, Jr., in mercantile and lumber business, in which he has alone and with others been engaged to the present time. He is a staunch Republican and in Great Valley and Salamanca has held several town offices. He was deputy sheriff from 1873 to 1876.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1100

Surnames: SPENCER, CHAMBERLAIN, TOWNSEND, METCALF, VREELAND

James O. SPENCER, son of Col. James O. and Triphena (CHAMBERLAIN) SPENCER, was born in Cuba, N. Y., April 28, 1844. His father was a pioneer of Cuba, where he built a frame house and the first good hotel. He was supervisor for fourteen or fifteen consecutive years and was colonel of the militia. His mother was a sister of Judge Benjamin CHAMBERLAIN, in whose family James O. was reared. May 16, 1861, he enlisted in Co. H, 37th N. Y. Vols., served his term of enlistment, and re-enlisted in Co. D, 179th N. Y. Vols., and served to the close of the war, being discharged July 30, 1865. He was duty-sergeant of Co. H and first sergeant of Co. D, and participated in twenty battles, escaping without a wound. Mr. SPENCER was captured in front of Petersburg in July, 1864, and was confined in prison ten months, being released on parole in June, 1865. He studied law at East Randolph with Jenkins & Goodwill several months, removed to Portageville, N. Y., where he pursued his law studies with E. TOWNSEND over a year and served as justice of the peace, and in 1879 removed to Salamanca, where he still resides. He is serving his second term as justice of the peace of Salamanca and is police justice of West Salamanca. He served as justice of sessions in 1890 and was the Democratic nominee for member of Assembly in the fall of 1890. He is president of the Board of Education of West Salamanca. July 4, 1872, he married Arvilla D. METCALF, of Randolph. Children: John J., born May 4, 1873, entered the law office of Ansley & Davis at the age of fourteen; George B. Mc., born July 12, 1876, a law student with judge VREELAND since 1880; Armenia T., born in Oct., 1881.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Pages 1100 & 1101

Surnames: SHEDD, CARR

George SHEDD, son of John D., was born in Jamestown, N. Y., Feb. 19, 1836. April 22, 1861, he enlisted in Co. F, 3d Ohio Vols., while on a visit in Hamilton, Ohio, and was discharged at the expiration of his three months' term of enlistment. Sept. 4, 1861, he enlisted as sergeant in Co. F, 69th Ohio Vols., and in the battle of Stone River at Murfreesboro, Tenn., Jan. 2, 1863, he received a severe wound from a six-pound solid shot, which carried away the upper part of his right shoulder. He was discharged for disability Sept. 13, 1863. Nov. 5, 1863, he received the commission of lieutenant-colonel of Ohio State Militia and was assigned to duty on the borders of Ohio and Kentucky, where his regiment did duty, and where he served out his term of five years, being mustered out of service near the close of the year 1867. Colonel SHEDD returned to Hamilton and served on the police force until the spring of 1870, when he removed to his native town and resumed the trade of harness making, which he had commenced before he entered the army. Two years later he removed to Randolph, where he prosecuted his trade eight years, serving two years of the time on the police force. Jan. 1, 1882, he settled in Salamanca, where he is engaged in harness manufacturing. Two brothers of Colonel SHEDD were soldiers in Co. D, 35th Ohio Vols., and both died of wounds. Sept. 13, 1862, he married Mary E. CARR, of Hamilton, Ohio. Their only son, Albert, born March 27, 1864, enlisted in the regular army in Sept. 1886, has served a term of five years in the 5th United States Regulars, and ten days after his discharge he re-enlisted for five years more. He is now stationed with his regiment in New Orleans.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1101

Surnames: STILLMAN

Fred STILLMAN, born in Dunkirk, N. Y., Oct. 20, 1854, received his education in his native village, and being the oldest of the family the support of his mother and a younger brother and sister fell upon him after his father's death. He learned the cabinet maker's trade in Dunkirk, and in Aug., 1876, he began business as a furniture dealer in Salamanca. In 1888 he sold this business and is now the only undertaker in the town. He was supervisor of Salamanca in 1887 and 1888 and is now one of the county coroners and a member of the Board of Education.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1101

Surnames: STRATTON, FOSTER, McKAY, KILBOURN, EDDY

Alonzo L. STRATTON, only son of Leander and Lucy (FOSTER) STRATTON, was born at Little Valley Center, Feb. 22, 1836, where, until he was thirty-three years of age, he was engaged in farming on the homestead which his grandfather settled about 1824. In 1869 he located on a farm on Saw-Mill run, which he still owns, residing in West Salamanca. He has been a dealer in musical instruments, a fire insurance agent, and is now a salesman in the store of J. J. McKAY. Aug. 18, 1862, he married Frances KILBOURN, a native of Hartford., Conn., who was born in 1840. Children: Ella (Mrs. Watson EDDY), Delbert, and Charles.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1101

Surnames: TOBIAS, FRENCH, CLARK, ELY

Bennett E. TOBIAS, son of Julius and Elizabeth (FRENCH) TOBIAS, was born in Grove, N. Y. His grandfather, Asa TOBIAS, was one of the first settlers in Geneva, N. Y. His father was a farmer and lumberman. Beginning at the age of fifteen he spent seven years in the oil regions of Titusville, Pa., as a well driller. In 1865 he drilled a test well for a New York company in Steamburgh. He next drilled five wells for the United States Oil Company at Pithole. In 1869 he began operating in oil in Little Colorado, Pa. In Dec. 1883, he came to Salamanca, where he still resides, and where he is serving his third year as assessor. In 1869 he married Nellie CLARK, of Allegheny city, Pa., who died in Nov., 1879, being the mother of two daughters. In 1882 Mr. TOBIAS married Mrs. ELY, of Altoona, Pa.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Pages 1101 & 1102

Surnames: VELIE, BIDWELL, WELTS, PEASE, ROGERS, NARMORE

Philip J. VELIE, born in Schenectady, N. Y., in 1804, was employed by the Green Bay Fur Company and later he settled at Cold Spring, near Bath, N. Y., where he had charge of a paper-mill. In Hammondsport he managed a warehouse and was next in Oramel, Allegany county, a lumberman. About 1858 he went to Olean, where he was a wholesale merchant. In 1863 he came to Salamanca and opened a boarding house and later kept the American House. Mr. VELIE was deputy sheriff in Steuben county and held several of the town offices in Salamanca. He died in Dec., 1884. Children: Jacob W., a graduate of the Geneva Medical College, subsequently manager of the Academy of Science in Chicago and now with his brother Arunah A. proprietor of a museum in St. Joseph, Mich.; Benjamin W., of Elgin, Ill.; Charles, of East Saginaw, Mich.; Elisha W.;. James B.; Mrs. T. BIDWELL and Mrs. J. WELTS, of Salamanca; Mrs. J. D. PEASE, of Corning, N. Y.; and Mrs. J. ROGERS, of Burlingame, Kan. Elisha W. VELIE was born near Bath, N. Y., in 1836 and commenced business in Olean as a boatman on the Genesee Valley canal in company with his brother Charles. They manufactured potash in Wethersfield, Wyoming county, where he married Susan NARMORE in 1861. In 1863 he came to Salamanca, where he still resides. Here he has been a sawyer, a carpenter, a car-builder, and the past two years assistant foreman of the railroad shops. James B. VELIE resides in Salamanca and is first assistant in the express office at the Erie depot. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1102

Surnames: VREELAND, BUTTERFIELD, PRICE

Edward B. VREELAND, a son of Simon and Jerusha (BUTTERFIELD) VREELAND and a brother of Judge Oliver S. VREELAND, is a native of Cuba, N. Y., and was born Dec. 7, 1857. He received his education in the public schools and in Friendship Academy, and moved to Salamanca in 1871. He was a teacher several years, five of which he was principal of Salamanca Union Free School, and by his influence an academic department was instituted under his administration. He studied law while teaching, and was admitted to the bar in 1880, but has never practiced. He commenced the insurance business in 1880 which he has since continued. He was active in the re-organization of the Salamanca National Bank, was one of its directors in 1881, and was elected its president in Sept., 1891, which position he still holds. He was appointed postmaster of Salamanca by President Harrison in April, 1889, and held the position until July 1, 1893. He is an active Republican, a speaker of ability, and takes the stump in presidential campaigns. In 1880, he married Almira, daughter of J. O. PRICE, of Friendship. They have three children.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1102

Surnames: WAIT, BRIGGS, KIRPATRICK

Col. Henry O. WAIT, son of Christian and Rachel (BRIGGS) WAIT, was born in Owego, N. Y., Sept. 19, 1840. His father was an extensive lumberman on the Susquehanna river and rafted his products of long shingles and staves to Harrisburg and Philadelphia. Later he was a farmer. He was a native of Half Moon, N. Y., and went to Owego with his father and family, who located an extensive tract of wild land and gave each of his five sons a farm in the neighborhood of WAIT's Settlement, a hamlet so named in their honor. Mrs. WAIT died Jan. 16, 1868. Mr. WAIT died June 15, 1883, aged eighty-two. Henry O. WAIT enlisted April 28, 1861, in Co. K, 26th N. Y. Vols., and served with distinction to the close of his term of enlistment. He immediately re-entered the U. S. service and served until he was again mustered out at the close of the war. He was promoted to colonel, was present at the first and second battles of Bull Run, Antietam, Cedar Mountain, and several others, and was with General Sherman in his march to the sea. In the fall of 1865 he came to Salamanca and was in the ticket department of the Erie and Atlantic & Great Western railroads about eighteen years. Colonel WAIT was supervisor of Salamanca in 1873, 1874, and 1875, and was elected treasurer of Cattaraugus county in the fall of 1878 and has since continuously held that position. At the organization of the First National Bank of Salamanca, May 15, 1880, he was elected vice-president and in Jan., 1881, was chosen president, which office he still holds. Mr. WAIT is a member of the G. A. R. and of all the Masonic organizations to Knight Templar, including the 32d degree. May 6, 1864, he married Belle, only child of David KIRKPATRICK, of Cuba, N. Y., a lady of great executive ability and a talented musician.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Page 1102

Surnames: WELLMAN, CRANDALL

Warren W. WELLMAN, son of Jonas, was born in Friendship, N.Y., June 28, 1833. He received an academic education and at the age of twenty commenced a mercantile career in Little Genesee. In June, 1861, he returned to Friendship and engaged in the combined business of banking and merchandizing. In Dec., 1863, he settled in Brockwayville, Pa., where he was a merchant about fifteen years. In 1880 he accepted the office of cashier of the First National Bank of Salamanca, which position he still holds. In Dec., 1860, he married M. Elvira CRANDALL, of Little Genesee, and has three daughters.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Salamanca – Chapter XLVI (46)

Pages 1102 & 1103

Surnames: WHEELER, OSGOOD, ROSENBERRY, BRAINARD, WINSHIP

John WHEELER, a native of New Salem, Mass., married Rhoda OSGOOD, in his native town, where his eight children were born. His father was a soldier in the Revolutionary war and was detailed with about 800 "picked men" and sharpshooters who captured General Burgoyne's provision train and transferred it to the American camp; he was also present when Burgoyne surrendered. In 1833 John WHEELER removed from Massachusetts to Gainesville, N. Y., and about 1835 came to Little Valley, settling in the south part of that town on the place he bought of James ROSENBERRY. His house he opened as a temperance tavern and in it the town meetings were frequently held. He later owned 280 acres. He also built a good saw-mill on Little Valley creek on the farm where his youngest son, George WHEELER, now resides. In religion he favored the Presbyterian denomination and in politics was a Whig. He was a farmer and lumberman and died June 1, 1862. Mrs. WHEELER survived until April 18, 1868. George WHEELER, their youngest child, was born in New Salem, Sept. 6, 1827, came with his parents to Cattaraugus county, and when twenty-one became a farm laborer. July 4, 1854, he married Nancy A., daughter of Rufus C. BRAINARD, and settled on a farm on lot 10 on the line between Salamanca and Little Valley. He now resides on the same lot, but just across the highway from his first purchase, and has always been a farmer. He is also a natural mechanic and the patentee of a bee hive. In politics he is a Republican and is a member of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ. Children: Clark, Viola H. (Mrs. Erastus WINSHIP), Charles S., and Ida C.
 

Back To Cattaraugus County


If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact me at:

Painted Hills

This page is maintained by the PHGS
 Last Update January 25, 2004

© 2002 by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society
Main | Email Us | Look-Ups | Members Family Pages
Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer

Website designed by Frankie Stonemetz
2002© Painted Hills Genealogy Society
All Rights Reserved