TOWN OF PERSIA

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES FROM: "HISTORICAL GAZETTEER AND BIOGRAPHICAL MEMORIAL of CATTARAUGUS COUNTY, NY, ed by WILLIAM ADAMS, Published 1893

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 984

Surnames: ACKLER, CRANDALL

Peter ACKLER, born on the Mohawk river, married Abigail GIBBS in Rush, N. Y. He was a farmer and in 1824 came to Persia and settled on lot 59. He subsequently settled permanently on the farm where his son Henry F. now lives. This farm was located on the old Indian trail. He had three sons and four daughters, all of whom are living. Mr. ACKLER died on the homestead in the spring of 1851. His oldest son, Willard, born in Rush, N. Y., April 8, 1823, came to Persia with his parents and has since been a resident of this town. In 1850 he married Betsey CRANDALL. In 1851 he purchased the CRANDALL homestead.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 984

Surnames: ACKLEY, SEABROOK, ALLEN, WHITE, ALVERSON, CRANDALL, WELLS, SILLIMAN, AVERILL

Ira W. ACKLEY, born in Lancaster, N. Y., in 1806, married Mary SEABROOK, a descendant of the English family who settled SEABROOK Island, South Carolina. He early settled in Hidi, and being a millwright assisted Ahaz ALLEN in building the first saw-mill there. Soon after he purchased 100 acres of woodland on lot 57 where his son John S. now lives. The place he chose for his home was near a large spring, which was evidently a resort of the Indians. The present proprietor has found numerous arrowheads, stone axes, and stone implements for skinning game, a stone rasp, and other curiosities. Mr. ACKLEY was elected to several town offices. He was deputized by Sheriff WHITE to call out the militia and went with them to the Dutch Hill war. He joined the Emigrant Aid Society of Massachusetts at the time of border ruffian troubles in Kansas and was one of the original founders of the city of Lawrence, and was also the millwright in building the first mill in that city. He died where his daughter, Mrs. ALVERSON, now lives in 1888. Mrs. ACKLEY died about 1875. Children: Orlando A.; Melissa E. (Mrs. ALVERSON); John Seabrook, who married Alzina, daughter of William CRANDALL, of Persia; Thomas B. (deceased); and Mary, widow of Luther N. WELLS.

Orlando A. ACKLEY was born in Hidi, July 7, 1831. Jan. 1, 1856, he married Elizabeth SILLIMAN, and in 1860 located on the farm where Samuel AVERILL settled. On this he has found numerous arrowheads and tomahawks, etc. Mr. ACKLEY is a prominent Democrat, and has served as highway commissioner twelve consecutive years and as overseer of the poor four years. Mrs. ACKLEY died Feb. 3, 1892. Children: Ira W., born in 1861, and Denver D., born in 1870.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Pages 984 & 985

Surnames: ALLEN, HIBBARD, BABCOCK, BARTLETT, RUSSELL, STAFFORD, STURDEVANT, WITHERELL, GRISWOLD, JOLLS, BURCH, HARTMAN, ERDLE, WHEELER

Ahaz ALLEN was born at Warwick, Mass., May 7, 1782, and died May 29, 1864. Oct. 13, 1808, at Lancaster, N. Y., he married Sibyl HIBBARD, who died July 2, 1876. Mr. ALLEN and his family were the first white settlers in the town of Persia. They located at Hidi in May, 1812. He was a typical pioneer and became prominent in local affairs. He carried on large business operations, employing more or less help, and took an, active interest in everything conducive to the growth of the young community. He had a family of twelve children, of whom Caroline was the first white child born in town, her birth occurring Sept. 15, 1813. Dan ALLEN, a brother of Ahaz, was born June 30, 1780, and died in Sept., 1853. He settled in Hidi in 1816, and in 1819 was supervisor of the town of Perrysburg.

Norman Hibbard ALLEN was born Aug. 22, 1811, near what is known as Zoar. He was the second child of Ahaz and Sibyl (HIBBARD) ALLEN. At the age of eighteen he commenced teaching school in Cattaraugus and Erie counties, which he continued winters until 1835; the last school he taught in this vicinity was in the town of Perrysburg in the winter of 1834-35 and numbered eighty pupils. In June, 1835, he removed to Michigan, where he became a carpenter and joiner, which business he continued until the spring of 1836, when he was called back to this town by the sickness and death of his sister Caroline. In May, 1837, he returned again to Michigan, where he remained until about the close of 1839, when he settled on a farm in Persia on lot 56, and has continued farming to the present time, now living on lot 8, town 6, range 8. Nov. 29, 1846, he married Roanna, daughter of J. C. and Catharine R. BABCOCK, of this town, who died March 2, 1863. Children: Millard N.; Norman B.; and Harmony R., born July 29, 1856, married Edward M. BARTLETT, a farmer of Fredonia, Chautauqua county. Norman H. ALLEN was a Whig in politics until the formation of the Republican party, with which he has since been identified. His second marriage (Oct. 25, 1864) was with Phebe, daughter of Lilly and Elizabeth (RUSSELL) STAFFORD, a native of Collins, Erie county, who was born Oct. 5, 1820; her parents were from Dartmouth, Mass. They occupy the same farm and house purchased by Mr. ALLEN in 1850.

Truman P. ALLEN, son of Ahaz, was born at Hidi, Nov. 10, 1819. April 18, 1843, he married Janette J., daughter of Abel and Fanny (STURDEVANT) WITHERELL. For one year he carried on a portion of his father's farm on shares and in the fall of 1843 moved onto a farm of fifty-six acres on lot 8 which was given to him by his father. Here he remained until 1857, in the meantime having built upon it one of the finest farm houses in the town. In 1857 he removed to Michigan and located some 1,200 or 1,500 acres of land in Oceana county and 7 1/2 acres in Grand Rapids. Feb. 1, 1858, on account of fever and ague, he returned and settled again on a farm at Point Peter. His business has always been farming and dealing in real estate. Children: The first child, born Feb, 14, 1844, died when four days old; Eliza S., born Aug. 4, 1845, married Darwin C. GRISWOLD, of Sheridan, N. Y., who died Sept. 9, 1870, and she married, second, L. W. JOLLS of Collins, Erie county; Freeman S., born Feb. 1, 1849, married, July 5, 1871, Lucy BURCH, of South Haven; Gilbert W., born June 15, 1854, married Frances HARTMAN, Dec. 7, 1876, and resides on a farm on lot 17; Alzona V., born Nov. 16, 1859, married George ERDLE, of Sheridan, N.Y.; and Arthur R., born March 17, 1863, drowned in Cattaraugus creek June 25, 1874. The mother died Nov. 18, 1870. Mr. ALLEN married, second, Jennie L. WHEELER, of Richmond, N. H., Oct. 18, 1874. Politically Mr. ALLEN was a strong abolitionist; since 1854 he has been principally identified with the Republican party. He is the oldest person now living in Gowanda who was born in what is now that village. He has ever been a strong anti-slavery and anti-liquor advocate and favors equal suffrage irrespective of color, race, or sex. He also believes that no one can rightfully own real estate; "it should be as free to all human kind as the air, the water, or the sunlight, yet each should own whatever improvements he may have caused to be put on a limited amount of land."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 985

Surnames: ALLEN, PRENTISS, MERRILL

Capt. Benjamin J. ALLEN, a native of Connecticut, came to Persia about 1830 and settled at Allen's Switch near what is now Persia postoffice, where his grandson, Bert ALLEN, now lives. In early life he took an active interest in military affairs and held the office of captain. He was justice of the peace and overseer of the poor. He was an inveterate joker and a witty storyteller, and left behind him many trite sayings. He married Sally PRENTISS, of Massachusetts, who died July 14, 1869. Children: Morgan, who died in Kansas; Alpheus, who died in childhood; Sarah E. (widow of Johnson MERRILL), who resides in the west part of Dayton; and Pearl S., born on the homestead in Feb., 1839, who with his sister resides near Wesley postoffice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 986

Surnames: ALLEN, BENNETT, SPRINGER

Millard N. ALLEN was born Sept. 23, 1847, at Point Peter, in a log house where his father, Norman H. ALLEN, first resided. He attended the district schools of his native town, the Gowanda Union School, and the Fredonia Academy one term in the last year of that institution, and also Eastman's Business College at Poughkeepsie, N. Y. He was a clerk for T. Catlin, of Newburgh, N. Y., eight months, and in 1870 became a clerk in the store of Hard & Hughes, of Dunkirk, but a few months later went into the freight office of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern railroad at Dunkirk and afterward at Brocton, remaining about three years in both offices. July 23, 1874, he married Eliza M., daughter of the late Lyman BENNETT, of this town, and located permanently in Gowanda in the drug and book business, being now in company with his brother Norman B. The business was begun by them June 1, 1873. He has one son, Arthur B., born April 8, 1881. At the re-organizing of Relief Lodge, No. 511, of Odd Fellows at Gowanda, Jan. 8, 1884, he was one of the new members and became an active worker, rising step by step till he passed the chairs, and on Aug. 18, 1892, was appointed district deputy grand master of the county of Cattaraugus, being re-appointed at the session of Aug. 24, 1893, at New York. During his first year in this position he instituted three new lodges of the order: Franklinville, No. 643, West Valley, No. 665, and Little Valley, No. 671, as against three lodges instituted during the nine years preceding. He has been a regular attendant of the Grand Lodge as a representative during the last five years.

Norman B. ALLEN, son of Norman H., was born in Persia, June 29, 1851. He was educated in the common schools and had two terms in the Union Free School in Gowanda. At the age of nineteen he entered a drug store and after about two years' experience in Gowanda and in Pennsylvania he opened in the spring of 1873 a drug store in Gowanda in company with his brother, Millard N. ALLEN, under the firm name of N. B. ALLEN & Co. About two years later the name was changed to ALLEN Brothers. Aug. 26, 1872, he married Ella A., daughter of the late Samuel C. SPRINGER, of Gowanda. They have one son, Walter S., born Nov. 20, 1875.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Pages 986 & 987

Surnames: ALVERSON, STRONG, SEABROOK, ACKLEY, BABB

Anson E. ALVERSON, son of Emory and Mary A. (STRONG) ALVERSON, was born in Gerry, N. Y., Sept. 17, 1832. His grandfather, James R. ALVERSON, a soldier in the War of 1812 and a native of Connecticut, came to Gerry from Vermont at a very early day. He held town offices and raised a large family. Emory ALVERSON, born in Brattleboro, Vt., in 1806, married Mary Ann, daughter of Gilbert STRONG, about 1830. In 1836 he removed to Gowanda and purchased a manufactory for making pails and tubs. In 1850 he exchanged this for the old Point Peter farm. In 1856 he joined his son Anson E. in Lawrence, Kan., and died in Clay county, Kan., in 1881. Mrs. ALVERSON died in 1857. Anson E. ALVERSON finished his education in the academy at Ellington, N. Y. April 26, 1852, he married Melissa, daughter of Ira W. and Mary (SEABROOK) ACKLEY, and settled on the homestead, when he went to Lawrence, Kan., and joined the Emigrant Aid Society from Massachusetts, being one of the 107 founders of that settlement. In the summer of 1859 he and his father made an overland trip to Denver, Col., with four ox-teams. Mr. ALVERSON is a natural mechanic and assisted his father-in-law as a millwright. In 1860 he returned to this county and settled in Cattaraugus village. In July, 1861, he enlisted in Co. A, 64th N. Y. Vols., and was discharged Feb. 23, 1863, for disability. He served as private, corporal, and sergeant. In Oct., 1863, he went to the oil regions of Rouseville, PA., where he was a laborer, a well-driller, and an oil producer until 1875. He then removed to Cattaraugus. In 1888 he visited Virginia, Chicago, Duluth, and Washington territory, where he remained four years. He is now a farmer just outside the corporation of Gowanda. Mr. ALVERSON served as highway commissioner of New Albion in 1883 and built the first iron bridge in that town. Children: Rollin A., born in 1853, died in Lawrence in Aug., 1855; Mary U., born in 1856, married Thomas BABB, of Cattaraugus, and resides in Chicago; Corlin E., born in 1860; George S., born in 1864; Nathan A., born in Dec., 1869; and Chanley W., born in 1875.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 987

Surnames: ARMES, RHOADES, FORAN, ALLEN, BROOKS, SHUGERT, KINGSLEY, ELLSWORTH

John ARMES, born in Canada, near Vermont, May 13, 1788, married Catherine RHOADES, and settled first in Genesee county. He removed to Napoli in 1831, where he died Nov. 26, 1867. Mrs. ARMES died March 7, 1865. Children: Justus R., who died in Wisconsin; Luther W., who married Maryette M. RHOADES, Nov. 23, 1850, settled on the homestead, and died April 11, 1891; William, who died in Pennsylvania; Emily (Mrs. John FORAN) who died in Wisconsin; Clarinda (Mrs. William ALLEN), of Minnesota; Martha; Eusebia, of Jackson, Minn.; and Nelson E., who emigrated to Minnesota, married there a Miss BROOKS, and was a soldier in the Civil war.

Victor C. ARMES, son of Eusebia (ARMES) ALLEN, was born in Napoli and was adopted by his uncle, Luther ARMES. At the age of fifteen he entered Chamberlain Institute, where he was a student about four years. He then went to Minnesota, where he engaged as a teacher. Returning a year later he taught the ensuing seven years in district and graded schools, and in Feb., 1885, he purchased the drug business of Dr. J. S. SHUGERT and subsequently the drug stock of T. N. KINGSLEY (deceased). Aug. 5, 1881, he married Cora, daughter of Marcus ELLSWORTH. Children: Max, Gertrude, Maud, and Harry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Pages 987 & 988

Surnames: BABCOCK, REINHARDT, LANGWORTHY, COOK

John C. BABCOCK, a native of Rhode Island, was born Nov. 14, 1782. He married Catherine REINHARDT, April 15, 1813, who was born Nov. 14, 1792. He was a sailor on a merchant vessel and about the time of his marriage he settled in Schoharie county, where he was superintendent of a turnpike connecting Cherry Valley with Albany. In 1824 he removed with his wife and three children to Cattaraugus county and settled in Persia. Mr. BABCOCK opened his log cabin as a tavern. He was widely known, influential and prominent, and served as overseer of the poor several years. He died on his farm March 12, 1850. Mrs. BABCOCK died May 21, 1838. Children: Louisa, Roanna, and John R., who were born in Schoharie county, and Horace, who was born on the homestead. (For sketch of Dr. Horace BABCOCK see page 167.)

Oliver C. BABCOCK was born in Brookfield, N. Y., June 8, 1807, and died Dec. 26, 1886. Nov. 10, 1827, he married Emma LANGWORTHY, who was born in Bridgewater, N. Y., Jan. 15, 1806. Mr. BABCOCK's parents were born in Rhode Island. They were very superstitious, the mother especially, and these false conceptions were early instilled into the young mind of the son. He was taught that witches prowled around nights and plied their nefarious trades in the air and in the stillness of the household. In consequence he went from one extreme to the other and throughout life retained many of the fallacies he imbibed in childhood. Nevertheless he possessed sterling traits of character and an indomitable perseverance. He kept Saturday as the sabbath in accordance with his honest convictions and during its existence was one of the foremost members of the Seventh Day Baptist church in Persia. He had fifteen children, one of whom is George C., still living in town. Another is Francis M., who was born in Brookfield, Dec. 8, 1828, and was educated in the common schools in the Seventh Day settlement. A natural mechanic he became a carpenter and millwright and followed those avocations until about 1866; afterward he was a farmer. In 1871 he settled on the farm where his son Oliver C. now lives, where he died May 31, 1882. Jan. 1, 1854, he married Avilda BABCOCK, a native of Pennsylvania, who survives him. Their only child, Oliver C., married Flora A. COOK, of Forestville, N. Y., March 16, 1879, and settled on the homestead.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 988

Surnames: BUCHAN, HERON

Robert BUCHAN was born in Ontario, Canada, Feb. 6, 1850. He served an apprenticeship at the baker's trade in Fergus, Canada, and in 1870 removed to Buffalo, where he worked for George Mugeidge & Son thirteen years. In 1889 he started a bakery at North Evans, Erie county, which he carried on until September, 1890, when he came to Gowanda and commenced the same business. Jan. 7, 1874, he married Annie L. HERON, of Maxwell, Gray county, Can. Children: Charles A., born July 9, 1876; Robert J., born June 14, 1878; Florence A., born Oct. 25, 1882; Frank W., born April 5, 1885; Lucy L. who died in 1889; and Thomas W., who died in 1890.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Pages 988 & 989

Surnames: CHAFFEE, NICHOLS, BUGBY, ELLIS, FANCHER, CRANDALL, OSBORN, SNYDER, BECKWITH, WOODIN

Amasa L. CHAFFEE, a native of Rutland, Vt., was born Nov. 28, 1797. Aug. 24, 1819, he married Lydia Wade NICHOLS, who was born May 3, 1802, and who died July 3, 1879. In 1820, after a short residence in Attica, N. Y., he came to Gowanda and in company with his brother-in-law, Alvin BUGBY, erected a wool-carding and cloth-dressing-mill, which he conducted until 1831. He was also distinguished as the first inhabitant of Gowanda who built a brick chimney in his house. He was elected justice of the peace of Perrysburg and held the position in Perrysburg and Persia most of the time until 1843. He also conducted a book-store and sold flour, which in 1837 brought $14 per barrel. In 1838 he began a general mercantile business, which he conducted to the close of his life. He was a fifer-soldier in the War of 1812 and always interested in military affairs, being captain of militia. In 1849 and again in 1853 he represented Persia on the Board of Supervisors. He was an active member of the Methodist church and in politics was first a Democrat, but joined the Republican party at its organization. Mr. CHAFFEE died Dec. 5, 1869. Children: Lydia A. (Mrs. Dr. David E. ELLIS), of Belvidere, Ill.; Amasa W. W.; James H., of Jamestown; and Charles W., Newton A., Mary H., of Gowanda.

Amasa W. W. CHAFFEE, born at Aldrich Mills, Perrysburg (now Gowanda), July 21, 1826, was educated in his father's store, and at the age of twenty-one was admitted a partner with his father under the firm name of A. L. CHAFFEE & Son. Since then he has been constantly in mercantile business in Gowanda or engaged as a commercial traveler. July 3, 1848, he married Jane M., daughter of Harlow and Freelove (FANCHER) CRANDALL, of Sandy Hill, N. Y. Children: Marvin W., born March 12, 1851, died in Nov., 1852; Clarence M., born Nov. 23, 1853, married Helen OSBORN, of Girard, Ohio, and is a member of the firm of SNYDER, CHAFFEE & Co., of Columbus, Ohio; Vernon E., born Dec. 9, 1859, died Dec. 12, 1876; and an adopted child, born Sept. 1, 1873.

Charles Warren CHAFFEE, born July 15, 1837, received his education in the common schools and in his father's store, where he was engaged from the age of eighteen years until he was about twenty-six. For five years he was the general agent of the Singer Sewing Machine Company for Cattaraugus County and a part of Erie county. In 1872 and 1873 he was the traveling agent of the company. He was next with the Howe Sewing Machine Company until they failed. In 1874 he was traveling salesman for Kingsbury, Abbott & Hulett, of New York. In 1876 he was engaged with O. P. Ramsdell & Co. and eighteen months later with Chase & Comstock, both of Buffalo. After two years he accepted an offer from E. C. Hazzard & Co., of New York, and traveled for them until 1885. He was then in the employment of Berry, Wisner, Lohman & Co. until 1890, when he was engaged as traveling agent for the Life and Reserve Life Insurance Company, of Buffalo. He has also been engaged with other concerns. June 21, 1860, he married Lydia A., daughter of Homer and Vashti (BECKWITH) WOODIN; children: Ida Elnora, born Sept. 27, 1862, died July 17, 1865; William Wallace, born Sept. 25, 1864; and Dora Woodin, born July 20, 1870.

Newton A. CHAFFEE was born Aug. 31, 1841. Aug. 2, 1862, he enlisted in the 154th N. Y. Vols. and Aug. 29th the regiment was in active service as a part of the Eleventh Army Corps. He was at the battles of Chancellorsville and Gettysburg and marched with General Sherman's army to the sea. He was quartermaster-sergeant eighteen months, after which he was detailed to corps headquarters, where he served until he was discharged June 20, 1865. He is a member of Darby Post, G. A. R., and has served as its commander. From March 20, 1868, to Sept., 1883, he was a merchant at Dayton, and was also postmaster and loan commissioner. He returned to Gowanda and formed a partnership with his brother, A. W. W. CHAFFEE, as merchant tailors, which closed in Feb., 1891. June 6, 1866, he married Luna, daughter of Homer and Vashti WOODIN. They have an only daughter, Lorena, born Aug. 19, 1867.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 989

Surnames: DARBY, SAWYER, CALKINS, ROLF, MOREHOUSE, HULETT, WHITCOMB, HERRICK, CAMPBELL, COX, BEAVER, AUSTIN

Elisha DARBY, son of Daniel and Abigail (SAWYER) DARBY, was born near Salem, Mass., March 20, 1790. He married Dolly CALKINS, of Arlington, Vt., daughter of John CALKINS, a soldier in the Revolution. Elias Haskell DARBY, uncle of Elisha DARBY, rendered distinguished service to his country, by lending money to the government and aiding in restoring American commerce. He also established an institution for the education of seamen in the U. S. navy. Daniel DARBY was a captain and led his company in the struggle for independence. Elisha DARBY, in 1828, moved with his wife and five children to this town, settling on lots 5 and 6 at the junction of the north and south branches of Cattaraugus creek. He purchased the improvements of Ephraim ROLF, who succeeded Walter MOREHOUSE, the first and original settler on the place. Mr. DARBY died June 11, 1872; Mrs. DARBY died April 1, 1870. Children: Almira (Mrs. Asahel HULETT), who died in Dayton; Harriet Jane (Mrs. Nathaniel WHITCOMB), who died in Gowanda; Olive E. (Mrs. Alfred HERRICK), who died in New Albion; Charles F.; Abi S. (Mrs. Colin CAMPBELL), of Perrysburg; and Amelia, who died aged six years. Charles F. DARBY, born Aug. 27, 1822, taught seven winters of school, and married, Aug. 26, 1849, Sarah M., daughter of Sylvester M. COX, of Otto. He settled on the homestead on DARBY flats, which he still owns. Children: Sylvester, deceased; Carlton E., who married Lizzie BEAVER; Carrie S. (Mrs. Addison AUSTIN), of Otto; and Nellie S.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Pages 989 & 990

Surnames: DORSEY, DE ORSEY

H. W. DORSEY was born in Port au Prince, Hayti, June 7, 1840, where he lived until Dec. 26, 1860, when he embarked on a coasting vessel bound for Porto Rico, arriving Jan. 13, 1861. Remaining there until the 20th of the same month he embarked on the three-masted schooner Mobile for the United States and arrived at New Orleans, La., on Feb. 14th. Mardi Gras was being celebrated. Meeting no one who spoke Spanish, and not being able to speak English, he found himself a veritable stranger in a strange land and unable to prosecute the search he had undertaken to find his father, mother, and sister, who had left Hayti in 1856, and whom he had not heard from since. His father had held an important office in the Haytian government, but with many others allowed himself to become a victim to his ambition and in 1855 found his army of insurgents defeated, his property confiscated, and a price set upon his capture and delivery to the Bayez government. He fled, taking his wife and daughter, and the son, being away at school, knew nothing of their flight until some time afterward. As soon as H. W. could make himself understood he began making inquiries for Sir Allen DE ORSEY, the name by which his father was known at home. He inserted an advertisement in the New Orleans papers, but immediately after Fort Sumter was captured and the Rebellion begun. The city was blockaded until Butler came, and the first mails brought a copy of the New York Tribune, in which he found an answer to his advertisement, wherein he learned that his father was living with his family at Montrose, Pa. He was given transportation to New York city by the steamer Merrimac and was soon reunited with the family. He soon became imbued with the spirit of war and after President Lincoln's proclamation of emancipation enlisted and served until mustered out Oct. 25, 1863. His parents having died during his term of service he had his only sister to care for and after placing her at the Davenport Institute in Elmira, N. Y., he came to Gowanda in Oct., 1869.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 990

Surnames: GAENSSLEN, FEDERSPAD, STORMS

Albert GAENSSLEN was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, March 18, 1828. In June, 1849, he came to America and was employed at his trade in Hamburg, Erie county, three years. In 1852 he began business for himself in Hidi by converting the old woolen-mill into an upper-leather tannery. He began the trade of tanner and currier in Germany at the age of fourteen. He is a member of the present firm of GAENSSLEN Brothers. Mr. GAENSSLEN is a worthy and respected citizen, is a Democrat in politics, has served as justice of the peace, and has been excise commissioner sixteen years. He is also president of the Bank of Gowanda. May 20, 1852, he married Eve FEDERSPAD and has one son living, Henry GAENSSLEN, born May 20, 1855, who, in 1879, married Frances STORMS, of Buffalo, by whom he has a daughter, Harmony A., and a son, Albert A.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 990

Surnames: HALL, OSTRANDER, TITUS

Frank D. HALL, born in Perrysburg, Sept. 8, 1855, is a son of Stephen R. and Ann J. (OSTRANDER) HALL. Stephen R. was born in Chautauqua county and his wife in Perrysburg. Frank D. attended the academy at Forestville and afterward engaged with Brown & Cole, proprietors of the Adams pump works at Gowanda, remaining with them two years, when he became a member of the firm as Brown, Cole & Co. Three years later he purchased the business and removed it to the Cattaraugus county side, where he still carries it on. He married, Nov. 28, 1877, Eva M., daughter of Silas TITUS. Children: Ethel M., born July 31, 1880; Edith A., born Nov. 21, 1881; and S. Rolland, born April 25, 1890.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Pages 990 & 991

Surnames: HARTWELL, HIGBEE, LUCE, RICH, INGERSOLL, PERKINS, SNYDER, McCOLLISTER

Calvin HARTWELL, born about 1797, married Minerva, daughter of William HIGBEE, a pioneer of New Albion (q. v.). About 1828 he came from Albion, Orleans county, to Snyder hill in New Albion with his wife and two children. He eventually sold his farm and about 1850 bought a partially improved one in Skinner hollow in Persia, where he died April 1, 1861. Mrs. HARTWELL died in Cattaraugus, Nov. 7, 1884. Mr. HARTWELL served in the War of 1812. Children: Sophronia (Mrs. Charles LUCE), who died in Adrian, Mich.; Mary D., deceased; Laura (Mrs. Merritt RICH), who died in Persia; Russell S.; Daniel, of Wisconsin; Almedia (Mrs. Richard INGERSOLL), of Leon; Almira (Mrs. Lorenzo PERKINS), who died in Orleans county; and Alvira (Mrs. Horace SNYDER), of Buffalo. Russell S. HARTWELL was born Feb. 20, 1832, was a carpenter until twenty-seven years of age, and in 1858 bought a farm in Persia, where he resided four years, when he sold and bought another in Leon, where he resided eight months. He sold again and bought in Dayton, where he was a farmer another year, and in 1866 he purchased his present home in Persia. He also resided in Cattaraugus thirteen years. He married, in Dec., 1860, Rachel M. INGERSOLL, who died Sept. 17, 1879. Dec. 27, 1882, he married Mrs. Mary McCOLLISTER, who has borne him a son and a daughter. He is a Democrat and has been highway commissioner in New Albion and overseer of the poor and highway commissioner in Persia.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 991

Surnames: HILL, MACMILLAN, STERLING, SPENCER, SISSON, SLOCUM, WALKER

Millen T. HILL was born in Geneseo, N. Y., Feb. 18, 1818. His grandfather came from Scotland and settled in Rhode Island, and afterward removed to Genesee county. An uncle of his mother; one MACMILLAN by name, bearing the title in his native country (Scotland) of Lord STERLING, was a member of the court-martial which tried and sentenced Major Andre. At the age of two years Millen T. HILL came to Cattaraugus county with his parents, who settled in what is now New Albion. Mr. HILL came to Lodi in 1827 and has been a resident of what is now the village of Gowanda ever since he learned the trade of cabinet-maker in Lodi, which business he carried on many years. Afterward for a number of years he carried on the lumber business, purchasing a saw-mill on Thatcher brook which had been built by Phineas SPENCER. In 1856 he began manufacturing cheese boxes. He married Patience, daughter of Willard and Ruth (SISSON) SLOCUM. They have one daughter, Jane, who married Jesse WALKER, who, in July, 1889, fell from a building and died three weeks later.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 991

Surnames: HOWARD, PIERCE

George W. HOWARD was born in Norfolk county, England, in 1840. In 1856 he immigrated to this country, settling first in Gowanda, where he has since made his home. In 1868 he married Mary A., daughter of J. S. PIERCE, of Persia. Her father removed to this county from Schoharie county. N. Y., and was a native of Bennington, Vt. George W. HOWARD has children: Frank, Arthur, Georgie, Blanche, Bessie, Beatrice, Myrtle, and Hazel. In Sept., 1861, he enlisted in Co. A, 64th N. Y. Vol. Inf. from Gowanda, and was afterward transferred to the regimental band. He served in Hancock's Second Army Corps until discharged at the expiration of his three years' term of service. He has been commander of Darby Post, No. 359, G. A. R.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 991

Surnames: JENKS, SUNDERLAND, WALDRON

Lemuel S. JENKS, born in Covington, N. Y., about 1815, early became a teacher of common schools, and subsequently received the appointment and served as a guard in the prison at Auburn. He became a partner with William SUNDERLAND, of Auburn, and sold dry goods and Yankee notions from his own conveyance on the road, which he continued until about the time of the completion of the Erie railroad in 1851. In 1840 he married Marietta WALDRON, of Scipio, and soon after settled in Gowanda. He was supervisor of Persia from 1857 to 1868 inclusive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 991

Surnames: JOHNSON, TOTMAN

August T. JOHNSON, born in Sweden in 1854, emigrated to America in 1872, and labored with the farmers seven years. From 1879 to 1892 he was engaged as a clerk in mercantile business. Feb. 10, 1892, he opened a grocery store in Gowanda, where he is now engaged. Feb. 14, 1882, he married Jennie, daughter of Rev. Harvey TOTMAN, of Cassadaga, N. Y. Children: Floyd H., Elden V., and Edna Johanna.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Pages 991 & 992

Surnames: KAMMERER, CHAFFEE, RICH, FEDERSPIEL, WILBER, BOESCHAT, ROLLINSON

John KAMMERER, born in Baden, Germany, July 21, 1832, spent his boyhood in attending school and assisting in his father's grist-mill and brick-yard. At the age of seventeen he went to New Brezek, France, engaging as clerk in a general store and remaining two years, until the breaking out of the French Revolution. He returned to Baden, where, in 1852, he was drafted into the German army. He had six brothers and one sister. Four of the brothers were conscripted. John KAMMERER remained in the service three months, when he came to the United States, landing in New York city in the fall of 1852. A few months later he removed to Buffalo, where he learned the trade of tinsmith. In 1856 he removed to Hamburg, Erie county, where he worked as a journeyman. In 1861 he started a tinware store and hardware trade at Langford, carrying on the business until 1868, when he removed to Gowanda and bought out the hardware business of J. H. CHAFFEE. In 1871 he sold this to C. H. RICH & Co., but bought it back again one year afterward, and since then he has carried on the business in the same store. In 1858 he married Regina FEDERSPIEL, a native of Buffalo, whose parents came to this country from Loraine, France. Children: Frank W., born in August, 1859, married Jennie, daughter of James WILBER, of Collins Center; Mary, born in 1861, married F. P. BOESCHAT, of Buffalo; and Tillie, born in 1864, married C. F. ROLLINSON. He has been for several years a member of the Board of Education.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 992

Surnames: KENNICOTT, WHIPPLE

Robert A. KENNICOTT was born in New Albion, July 5, 1863 (see page 842). He attended school in Chicago, his father having removed to that city. In 1877 the family returned to this county where he attended the Chamberlain Institute at Randolph. In 1883 he established a grocery trade at New Albion, which he carried on two years. In 1885 he removed to Gowanda and commenced the manufacture of mineral waters, which business he still continues. He married, June 20, 1883, Cora, daughter of T. M. WHIPPLE, of Little Valley. They have a son, Harry, born Jan. 2, 1885.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 992

Surnames: KEYES, NUTTING, THOMPSON, DOW, GREEN, HERMANCE, PHELPS

Alanson C. KEYES was born in Ludlow, Mass., Oct. 3, 1822. When nine years of age he removed with his parents to Ellicottville. His father located on a farm in Otto, where he remained twenty years, removing thence to Allegany. In 1847 Alanson went into the store of James NUTTING in Randolph as a clerk, remaining until 1850, when he married Harriet THOMPSON, of Granville, N. Y., and formed a partnership with A. G. DOW in the hardware trade and manufacture of tinware in Ellicottville, which partnership continued one year. From Ellicottville Mr. KEYES removed to Allegany and commenced the same business on his own account, remaining until 1883, when he removed to Fredonia. In 1885 he removed to Gowanda and purchased the foundry and machine shops known as the Gowanda Agricultural Works, which he carries on in company with his son Samuel G. Besides this son, who was born Jan. 26, 1856, his children are Zelia (Mrs. Benjamin H. GREEN); Cora G.; Alfred C., who married Hannah, daughter of James HERMANCE; and Truman D., superintendent of the Gowanda Agricultural Works. Samuel G. KEYES, married Jennie PHELPS and in 1876 he engaged in the hardware and oil well supply business at Four Mile one year. He then spent a short time at the Albany Law School, after which he engaged with the Oil Well Supply Company (Limited), of Bradford, Pa., as book-keeper, and remained eighteen months. In 1881 he became cashier of Dow, Fullager & Coleman's Bank at Bradford, where he remained until 1884. In 1885 he became correspondent for the First National Bank of Bradford and continued until 1887, when he went to Mankato, Kan., and organized the First National Bank of Mankato; he was its cashier until July 1, 1890, when he came to Gowanda.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Pages 992 & 993

Surnames: LITTLE, BEVERLY, FRYE, BOTSFORD, RANDALL, EAMES, McCUTCHEON, WHEAT, McKINNEY

Alexander LITTLE, a native of Vermont, removed to Otto from Nelson, N. Y., in 1822, the journey by horse and ox-teams occupying more than two weeks. Mr. LITTLE's family then consisted of five sons and two daughters: Margaret, Thomas, Harvey, Nelson, Milton, Lewis, and Jane. Margaret married Thomas BEVERLY and lived in Otto many years, removing to Gowanda, where both died. Thomas married Sarah FRYE, of Collins, N. Y., a farmer who died July 11, 1890; her death occurred July 12, 1878. Harvey married Urania BOTSFORD in Feb., 1836, and engaged in farming on forty acres of land in Otto, but ten years later removed to Toronto, Canada, where he learned the trade of millwright, which be carried on three years, when be returned to Otto and resumed farming. After the death of his wife in 1843 he again took up the business of a millwright on the Allegheny river, building a number of new mills and rebuilding many others. In 1849 he married Sarah M. RANDALL, a native of Madison county. By his first marriage two children were born: Catharine M., who married Ezra EAMES, who died in Nov., 1889, and Eliza J., who married E. T. McCUTCHEON and resides on the homestead in Otto. In 1869 Mr. LITTLE removed to Gowanda, where he has since lived in retirement. Nelson LITTLE was engaged in the real estate business in Buffalo, where he died about 1864. Milton and Lewis emigrated to California and both died in Monterey. Jane married Marvin WHEAT, a lawyer, of Cayuga county, who settled in St. Antonio, Texas. Since the first year of the Rebellion he has not been heard from. Mrs. WHEAT still lives in St. Antonio. Alexander LITTLE's wife was Catharine McKINNEY who died in Feb., 1873. He died in 1852.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 993

Surnames: LOCKE, WOOD, SKINNER, FARNSWORTH, WHEELER, VOSBURG, CHAFFEE, WHITE, VINTON

James LOCKE was born near Moravia, N.Y., Jan. 16, 1802. His father died when he was five years old, leaving a widow and eight children wholly dependent for support upon their own scant earnings. The early years of his life were consequently passed in a continued struggle with want. His entire attendance at school was less then six months, but he was taught to read and write by an elder brother, and when sixteen years old had acquired a fair common school education. He early developed a taste for the English classics, which he retained all his life, and few men in his locality were more conversant than he with the standard works of the language. Having served ail apprenticeship with Allan WOOD, of Sempronius, and mastered the carpenter's trade he was selected by Isaac W. SKINNER when only twenty-two years of age to go to what was then known as Skinner hollow and build a grist-mill. Having finished this in the winter of 1824-25 he was engaged for a time as a journeyman at Buffalo, and in March, 1826, proceeded to Gowanda, then Lodi, where he bought some land of Thomas FARNSWORTH and erected a small foundry. He married, the following year, Lucinda, daughter of Philip WHEELER. A few years later Mr. LOCKE erected a larger establishment upon the site of the present foundry, where he carried on business for a time in connection with the late John L. VOSBURG. Having been compelled by ill health to choose a different occupation he subsequently engaged in mercantile business with Amasa L. CHAFFEE and later with Clark WHITE. Upon the death of Mr. WHITE he retired from active business for a few years, but in 1853 erected a grist-mill and sawmill about a mile south of Gowanda upon the property since purchased by Silas VINTON. In 1859 he disposed of this and never afterward engaged actively in business affairs. Mr. LOCKE was one of the men peculiar to his day and generation. He was a strict Presbyterian in belief and long connected with that church; an earnest temperance man, obeying the law and willing to act in enforcing obedience by others; decided in his ideas, prompt and energetic in action, intolerant of wrong, of sterling integrity, just in his dealings, sound in judgment, he had the confidence of the community. He died Aug. 27, 1872.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Pages 993 & 994

Surnames: LUCE, BENSON, PAYNE, PICKETT

Lucius T. LUCE, born in Barre, N. Y., April 13, 1813, married Mary Elizabeth BENSON in Wyoming county, and in 1857 settled on the old Harrison PAYNE farm. He was a farmer in New Albion, Dayton, Persia, Little Valley, and Salamanca, and eventually gave his property to his son Obadiah, with whom he died in Dayton, Feb. 18, 1890. He was a member of the M. E. church. Mrs. LUCE survives and resides in Dayton. E. Augustus LUCE, their fourth child, was born in Washington county, March 6, 1846, and Aug. 22, 1864, enlisted in Co. A, 13th N. Y. H. A. He was in five general engagements and at the final evacuation of Petersburg. He was discharged Aug. 23, 1865. He was confined in the hospital six weeks with typhoid fever. Since his return he has been engaged in farming, market gardening, and fruit growing. Aug. 23, 1868, he married Esther A. PICKETT, of Salamanca; children: Charles H., Joseph N., and Mary Luetta.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 994

Surnames: MATTOCKS, MARSH, FOSTER

Frank L. MATTOCKS was born in Gerry, Chautauqua county, May 26, 1851, a son of Truman and Mary E. (MARSH) MATTOCKS. His father carried on the granite and marble business many years, first in Buffalo and afterward in Ellington, Chautauqua county. He removed to Cattaraugus, where Frank L. commenced the business and worked with his father from the age of fifteen until twenty-four. Oct. 12, 1874, he married Mary H., daughter of Sheldon FOSTER, of Otto, and located at Gowanda, where he established his present granite and marble monumental works. His children are Eugene, born in Dec., 1885; Bessie, born in Dec., 1887; and Edna, born in Oct., 1889. Mr. MATTOCKS has served his town as supervisor since 1892.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 994

Surnames: NASH, BRAYTON, SACKETT

Esek B. NASH was born in Herkimer county in Feb., 1800. In 1824 he settled in the southwest part of Persia on lot 59. He was a very prominent man and represented Persia on the Board of Supervisors for a long term of years, and also held other important town offices. Mr. NASH and his wife were members of the M. E. church and he was class-leader over forty years. He taught school in early life. About 1821 he married Marcella BRAYTON, of Poland, Herkimer county, and died on the homestead June 8, 1874. Mrs. NASH died June 1, 1879. Children: Ansel A., of Pine Valley; Almerin E., who died about 1863; Elvinton A., of Buffalo; and Oramon I., owner of a part of the homestead. May 13, 1862, the latter married Helen SACKETT, of Cattaraugus, and settled on the farm where they now reside; children: Grace L., Minnie E., Georgia H., and Gertrude B. Mrs. NASH was a teacher and all her daughters except the youngest have followed the same calling.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 994

Surnames: OVERFIELD, KROHNS, BABBITT, REPPARD, COOPER

Edward OVERFIELD was born in this town Dec. 16, 1864. His parents were John and Carrie (KROHNS) OVERFIELD. Mr. OVERFIELD, Sr., carried on a boot and shoe business in Gowanda many years. Edward OVERFIELD for a number of years was a commercial traveler for B. T. BABBITT. He married Carrie M. REPPARD, of Hamburg, Erie county, and in 1889 purchased the Union Hotel now conducted by John COOPER.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Pages 994 & 995

Surnames: PARKER, VAN VALKENBURGH, HOOKER, STUART, VAN OSTRAND, HUGHES, GRAVES, WELCH

Thomas J. PARKER, a native of Junius, Seneca county, was born Aug. 17, 1813. In 1823 he removed with his parents to Hamburg, Erie county, where he lived until 1830, when he came to Lodi, now Gowanda. His first business here was an apprenticeship to the tailor's trade with his brother, Francis B. PARKER. After three years he assumed the business and carried it on until 1861, when he entered the army as colonel of the 64th N. Y. Vol. Inf. The 64th Regiment was organized in 1853 with Thomas J. PARKER as colonel, and at the breaking out of the Rebellion Colonel PARKER addressed a communication to the adjutant-general of the State, tendering the services of the organization, which were duly accepted. On the 28th of August Colonel PARKER proceeded to Elmira, where he was assigned enlistment quarters by General VAN VALKENBURGH at barrack No. 3. On the 25th of November he was commissioned by Governor Edwin D. Morgan colonel of the 64th Regt. N. Y. S. Vols. with rank from Nov. 13, 1861. The regiment was ordered to the front on the l0th of Dec., 1861, and on the 13th Colonel PARKER was, by special orders, constituted provisional brigade commander of the 64th, 57th, 85th, 89th, and one Massachusetts regiment. On the 7th of Jan., 1862, the 64th was transferred to Gen. O. O. Howard's brigade of Richardson's division of Sumner Corps. A full account of the 64th Regiment will be found in Chapter XV. The Olean Advertiser of June 19, 1862, anent the battle of Fair Oaks, says:

"Colonel PARKER has shown himself to be a brave, intrepid commander, and his abilities were acknowledged on the field of battle by being assigned to the command of the First Brigade of General Richardson's division. Captain Renwick is hearty and emphatic in his praises of Colonel PARKER for coolness, courage, and military skill upon the battlefield. He says Colonel PARKER has no superiors and few equals in the division to which he is attached for all the requisites of a competent leader. The men of the 64th won for themselves at Fair Oaks the thanks of their commanding officers and covered themselves with honor. The county of Cattaraugus, through her stalwart sons in this regiment, has with her best blood written upon our nation's history her abhorrence of this wicked, devilish rebellion. The men of the 64th will do their duty. All honor to the glorious 64th! All honor to its commanding officer, Col. T. J. PARKER ! "

Sept. 2, 1841, Colonel PARKER married Lavina H., daughter of Stephen HOOKER of Perrysburg. They had six children: Ellen L., born Feb. 15, 1843, who married Mortimer W. STUART, of Gowanda; Loretta A., born Feb. 20, 1845, who married Lafayette VAN OSTRAND, of Buffalo; Clara A., born Nov. 11, 1847, died Sept. 14, 1848; Marcus W., born July 15, 1849, who married Josephine HUGHES, and resides, in Chicago; Henry A., born Oct, 10, 1856, died Dec. 3, 1861; and George W., born June 30, 1863, of Silver Creek, who married Alice GRAVES. Colonel PARKER held the office of justice of the peace for Persia from 1852 for thirty years. He was deputy county clerk from March 6, 1871, for three years under William W. WELCH, and in the Legislature of 1872-73 he was deputy clerk of the Assembly. No man now living in Cattaraugus county has been longer or more prominently identified with military affairs than has Colonel PARKER. From the interesting period of general trainings to long after the Rebellion he was active in almost every movement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 995

Surnames: PAYNE, ANGELL, SMITH, ACKLER, MILK, JENKS, HERRICK

Dorus PAYNE, son of Stephen and Sally (ANGELL) PAYNE, was born July 10, 1805. He married Catherine SMITH, June 10, 1829, and soon after came to Cattaraugus county and settled on Snyder hill in New Albion. In 1840 he sold his farm and moved to the farm now occupied by his son, Sheldon A. PAYNE, in Persia, where he died April 6, 1890. Mrs. PAYNE died Oct. 16, 1889. Children: Nancy Emeline, born Sept. 27, 1832, married Henry F. ACKLER, June 10, 1855, deceased; Clarissa M., born April 13, 1839, married Gilbert MILK, and resides in New Albion; William H. H., born Sept. 13, 1844, died July 4, 1848; Alvira D., born May 12, 1848, married, June 9, 1879, Z. T. JENKS, and resides at Allen's Switch in Persia; Electa T., born April 28, 1850, married Judson HERRICK, and resides in Binghamton; and Sheldon A., born March 3, 1835. In 1854 the latter went across the isthmus to California and was a miner until the Rebellion broke out in 1861, when he enlisted in the 6th Cal. Vols., being discharged in Dec., 1865. He was wounded by a minie-ball Aug. 7, 1864. In March, 1877, he returned and resides on the homestead.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Pages 995 & 996

Surnames: PHELPS, COON

Charles S. PHELPS, son of Dudley (see page 440), was born in Allegany, Oct. 31, 1858, was educated in the public schools and at Alfred University in Allegany county, and taught school in Broome and Cattaraugus counties three years. In 1878 he entered the drug store of Dr. A. W. Bullock at Allegany. In 1881 he engaged in the same business with Moore & Smith, of Dunkirk, where he remained five months. From there he went to Olean with J. B. Smith, druggist. Jan. 1, 1884, he became a partner with Dr. J. V. D. Coon at Olean, and a year and a half later he removed to Gowanda and purchased the drug business of Clark & Horton, which he still continues. Jan. 13, 1885, he married Carrie D., daughter of Dr. J. V. D. COON. Children: Paula M., born Feb. 25, 1886, and Helen C., born Oct. 28, 1888.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 996

Surnames: PRESS, PEARSONS

William H. PRESS was born in Nunda, N. Y., Oct. 8, 1830, where he resided with his parents until 1834, when they removed to Erie, Pa. Seven years afterward the family removed to Persia, where William H. has since resided. He was a farmer and dealer in horses until 1871, when he removed to Collins, Erie county, and settled within the corporation of Gowanda. He continued farming and dealing in horses until May, 1888, when he started the business of undertaker in the Erie county portion of the village. Nov. 6, 1 850 he married Harriet, daughter of Amos PEARSONS, of Collins; children: May, born May 1, 1852; Ida, born May 6, 1857; and an adopted son, Bartlett.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 996

Surnames: RICH, SNYDER, HUMPHREY, EASTERLY, BROWNELL, JOHNSON

Joseph RICH, born in Onondaga county about 1801, married there Phebe SNYDER, and there their first five children were born. In 1825 they came to the south part of Persia, where their primitive log-house was warmed by a Dutch fireplace. Mr. RICH died aged sixty-three; Mrs. RICH survived him about three years. Children: Susan, who died aged ten; Merritt, a farmer on the homestead; Leonard (deceased); Abbott (deceased); Mary (Mrs. HUMPHREY), who died in Iowa; Amanda (Mrs. James EASTERLY), of Cattaraugus; Betsey (Mrs. Alson BROWNELL), of Persia; Wilder and Wilber (twins); and James H. James H. RICH, born Dec. 19, 1839, was a farmer on the homestead, and July 10, 1862, married Emma E., daughter of Jesse JOHNSON, who was born Aug. 8, 1845. Mr. RICH came to an untimely death by being thrown from a loaded wagon Oct. 24, 1865.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 996

Surnames: RIDOUT, SNYDER, PULSE

Leander RIDOUT was born Oct. 25, 1836, and was raised a farmer. Feb. 8, 1863, he married Esther, daughter of Augustus SNYDER. In 1864 they settled in Persia and in 1866 he purchased the farm at Snyder's corners where he still resides. Mrs. RIDOUT died Jan. 20, 1890. June 8, 1891, he married Clara PULSE.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 996

Surnames: SCHAACK, WARNER, POTTER, CHAFFEE, TOEPP, FISH, LEONARD

Nicholas SCHAACK, a native of Luxemburg, Germany, emigrated to America when nineteen years of age and settled in Langford, N. Y., where with his brother he opened a merchant tailoring establishment in 1847. In 1850 he removed to Gowanda and was a journeyman tailor employed by Samuel WARNER until 1856. He then removed to Berlin, Wis., where he pursued his trade. About 1862 he returned to Gowanda, and was a partner of Jonathan POTTER. In 1870 Mr. POTTER retired and in 1872 Mr. SCHAACK and A. W. W. CHAFFEE consolidated their business under the firm name of CHAFFEE & SCHAACK. In 1877 his son, Joseph H. SCHAACK, purchased the interest of Mr. CHAFFEE and was with him until the death of the father Aug. 25, 1880. In 1854 Mr. SCHAACK married Eve, daughter of Adam TOEPP, of Langford, N. Y.; she died in July, 1885. Children: Joseph H., born in May, 1856, who married, Oct. 4, 1876, Ada, daughter of William A. FISH, of Gowanda, and has children Helen (born in April, 1881) and Ralph (born in 1883); Emma M., born in 1860, who married I. R. LEONARD, of Gowanda; and Albert G., born in 1867, a dry goods merchant who began business in Oct., 1886. In Oct., 1890, the latter sold his goods to his brother-in-law, I. R. LEONARD, and was a clerk in Buffalo until Aug., 1891. In October following he re-opened his present dry goods store. Joseph H. SCHAACK was supervisor of Persia in 1888.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Pages 996 & 997

Surnames: SMALLWOOD, ROBERTS, BABCOCK

William T. SMALLWOOD, a native of York, England, came with his parents to this country when four years of age and settled in northern Pennsylvania, whence he subsequently removed to Wyoming county, N. Y., where he and his wife both died. William T. SMALLWOOD came to Gowanda at an early date, and in company with Titus ROBERTS carried on an extensive tannery several years. He was afterward engaged in the boot and shoe business until his death in 1871. His wife was Florilla, daughter of Titus ROBERTS, who died in 1878. Children: Charles and Freddie (who died in infancy), Mary C., and William R. The latter was born Jan. 26, 1856, and June 27, 1878, he married Blanche, daughter of Dr. Horace BABCOCK. Mr. SMALLWOOD is of a very ingenious turn of mind and invented and manufactured an eight-day sixteen-dial clock, which he finished Sept. 1, 1886.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 997

Surnames SNYDER, KELLEY, RICH, BROWN

George SNYDER married a Miss KELLEY and with his family settled in the south part of Persia in 1825. He died in Sept., 1844. He was one of the most prominent of the early settlers. Augustus SNYDER, his son, was born May 5, 1806 came to New Albion with his father, and with his brothers Horace, Benjamin, and Harry settled on Snyder hill, which was named in their honor. He subsequently sold out and in 1846 removed to the place where his son Horace now lives, where he died Nov. 17,1872. April 4, 1832, he married Ann, daughter of Jacob RICH, who was born Feb. 3, 1814, and who died Dec. 31, 1890. Mr. SNYDER served as justice of the peace from about 1856 until his death. Children: Elliott, Esther, Homer, and Emogene. Elliott was born on Snyder hill April 30, 1833, was educated in the common schools and at Gowanda Academy, and has been a farmer and dealer in cattle and horses. He is also breeding fine horses and cattle for market. He is a Democrat and has served as assessor, highway commissioner, and justice of the peace. March 6, 1871, he married Mary, daughter of Almond BROWN, of Mansfield.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Pages 997 & 998

Surnames: STUART, WOLCOTT, ALLEN, BLACKNEY, POPPLE, DAVIS

Hon. William Henry STUART was a son of Warren and Mary Ann (WOLCOTT) STUART and was born in Chaumont, Jefferson county, May 2, 1820. In his veins ran the proudest blood Scotland ever knew and among his ancestors were a signer of the Declaration of Independence and a governor of Connecticut. His brothers and sisters were Elisha S., Roger Wolcott, and Samuel M. and Esther, Adeline, Maria, and Amelia. Mr. STUART's education was limited to the common schools, but he early developed a passion for literature which he retained throughout his life. By a wide range of reading and careful observation he stored his capacious mind and retentive memory with lore beyond the ken of the average college graduate. He went to Michigan in 1830 and remained a year, when he returned to Rochester and worked a year in a printing office. Going again to Michigan in 1834 he went to work on a farm owned by a relative, receiving forty acres of land for a year's labor. Returning east he acquired the mysteries of woolen manufacturing and eventually established himself in that business. With his brother Samuel he engaged in woolen manufacturing in Wheatland, Monroe county, where he remained a few years, when, in 1840, he and his brother removed hither and established a woolen factory in Gowanda, then Lodi. Here he married, Jan. 27, 1842, Barbara ALLEN, daughter of Ahaz ALLEN, the pioneer of Hidi. She was born Oct. 2, 1822, and died Sept. 14, 1861, having borne five children: Eber, who died Oct. 1, 1858; Maude, who died Feb. 2, 1881; Alice (Mrs. Charles BLACKNEY), of Kalamazoo, Mich.; Cora (Mrs. Constantine BLACKNEY), of Gowanda; and Glenn D., of Kalamazoo, Mich. Mr. STUART married, second, July 1, 1863, Mrs. Jane (POPPLE) DAVIS, of Collins, Erie county, who survives him. He was engaged in farming at Collins and at Hidi during the life of his first wife and moved to Gowanda village in 1863, where he resided until his death on June 30, 1893. He was always intensely and actively interested in politics. In 1865-66 he was librarian of the State Senate and in 1869 was elected member of Assembly, where he served one term. Shortly afterward he was appointed postmaster of Gowanda, which position he held five years. He was frequently a delegate to conventions and was one of the best posted men on county, State, and National politics in New York State. Originally a liberal Democrat he joined the Republicans in 1860 and was thereafter a staunch supporter of the principles of that party. He was also a Mason. Mr. STUART's mind was of a decidedly literary bent. Had he devoted himself to literature he would have taken a high rank in that profession. Many of his productions were heavily fraught with historical data, and his political articles commanded wide influence. For forty years he contributed regularly to the local newspaper, of which he had at one time full editorial charge. As a poet he wielded a graceful pen and drank often at the Pierian spring. He possessed a phenomenally retentive memory and a great love for his fellow man. He was charitable, kind hearted, and honest and commanded the respect and confidence of all with whom he came in contact.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 998

Surnames: TORRANCE, SOUTHWICK, HEALEY, SMITH

Stiles Clay TORRANCE, son of Stiles A. and Lydia C. (SOUTHWICK) TORRANCE, was born at Hidi, Nov. 22, 1843, and worked on his father's farm at Point Peter until sixteen years of age. In 1860 he went to Tinker's Creek, Ohio, and engaged in raising broom corn and the manufacture of brooms, which he carried on two years. Aug. 11, 1862, he enlisted in the 103d Ohio Vol. Inf. for three years. He was in the siege of Knoxville and with Sherman in his campaign from Chattanooga to Atlanta. After the regiment reached Atlanta the Twenty-third Corps, with which the 103d was connected, fell back to Nashville. After the battle at Nashville the Twenty-third, under command of General Schofield, was transferred to Fort Fisher and from that point fought their way up the Cape Fear river to Wilmington, whence they were transferred to Newberne. Thence they fought to Goldsborough, up the cape, and to Salisbury, where they received their discharge. After the close of the war Mr. TORRANCE was engaged in farming one year and then went to Wyoming territory and spent a year and a half in gold mining, returning to this State via California and the isthmus. Nov. 22, 1871, he married Myra S., daughter of William and Rachel (HEALEY) SMITH, of Collins, Erie county. Children: Stiles A., born Sept. 10, 1872; William M., born April 4, 1874, graduated from Gowanda Academy at the age of fourteen; Lucy, born April 14, 1876; Chester, born Dec. 7, 1877; Rachel, born Aug. 15, 1886; a child born July 27, 1890.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Pages 998 & 999

Surnames: VAN DEUSEN, WINNE, HOOKER, MACHMER, HORTON

Oliver B. VAN DEUSEN was born in Sprout Brook, N. Y., Feb. 1, 1825. His father, a native of Great Barrington, Mass., possessed a large farm, carried on the wool-carding and cloth-dressing business, and had a large saw-mill. Oliver B., when nine years of age, went to live with his brother at Pike, Wyoming county, making the. journey by wagon and afterward a number of other trips by the Erie canal before the building of the New York Central railroad. Six years afterward he returned to the homestead. He attended the district schools and the Cherry Valley Academy and taught in the schools of his neighborhood until 1851. January 2d of that year he married Barbara, daughter of David C. WINNE, of Cherry Valley, and with his wife removed to Pike and carried on a large business in the manufacture of lumber, sash, doors, blinds, and cooperage until 1866, when he rented his factory and removed to Rochester, where he engaged in the manufacture of iron planes one year. In 1867 he again returned to Pike, engaging in general merchandising and also purchased one of the first creameries in Wyoming county. He continued the mercantile business until 1877, when he engaged in farming. In 1880 he sold the store. In 1881 he removed to Gowanda, clerking one year for Harry N. HOOKER. In 1882 he engaged in the coal trade with his son, J. E. VAN DEUSEN, which they carried on together until 1887. He was also a partner in the Gowanda Fruit Evaporating Company. In 1887 he purchased the interest of Henry MACHMER, of the firm of Machmer & Yaw, merchant tailors. Children: James Eugene; Kittie Arabella (deceased); Carrie E., born Dec. 11, 1861, who married Palmer H. HORTON; and Allen W., born Nov. 24, 1866.

James Eugene VAN DEUSEN was born at East Pike, N. Y., Sept. 22, 1851. In 1866 he removed with his parents to Rochester, where he attended the public schools. Returning in 1867 to East Pike he entered his father's store as clerk, and in 1869 he went to Allegany as clerk in the office of the Erie railway. Here he remained until 1871, when he accepted the position of agent for the Buffalo, New York & Philadelphia railroad at South Wales, Erie county. Eleven months later he was given the agency at Holland on the same road and in 1873 he accepted the position of agent of the Buffalo and Southwestern railroad at North Collins, Erie county, and afterward at Lawton's. Collins, and Gowanda, where he has held the position since Oct. 24, 1874. Mr. VAN DEUSEN married Ella M., daughter of Harry N. HOOKER, of Gowanda. Children: Harry H., born July 9, 1876; George B., born Sept. 20, 1878; Ward W., born Nov. 25, 1880; and Julia E., born March 4, 1889. Mr. VAN DEUSEN has been president of the village, vice-president of the Bank of Gowanda, president of the Board of Education, a trustee of the Presbyterian church, one of the original promoters of the Gowanda Water Works Company and a member of the Gowanda Fruit Evaporating Company and the Gowanda Printing and Manufacturing Company.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Pages 999 & 1000

Surnames: VINTON, WELCH, CARR, DAWSON

Silas VINTON was born in Villenova, Chautauqua county, April 20, 1824. He was the son of John VINTON, who came into western New York in 1810 from Massachusetts and settled in Villenova in 1812, and died in 1829, leaving a widow and six children. His mother was a daughter of William WELCH, of Connecticut, who was a Baptist preacher and preached on one charge for sixty-five years, commencing at twenty-one; he died aged eighty-six. The mother did all in her power to give her children an education and Silas left home when fourteen years of age to work one year for his clothes and three months' schooling. At the age of nineteen he commenced teaching and taught six terms. At the age of twenty-four he married Louisa A. CARR, of Cherry Creek, who was the mother of Frank C. and J. Platt VINTON now of Gowanda. He resided in Rock county, Wis., from 1846 to 1850, and was superintendent of schools while there four years. He then returned to Cherry Creek, where he entered into mercantile business. He was elected superintendent of schools and served six years, was chosen supervisor of the town for five years and was chairman of the Board of Supervisors of Chautauqua county the last term, and was postmaster at Cherry Creek ten years. In 1874 he moved to Gowanda and has served Persia on the Board of Supervisors five years. He was one of the directors of the Buffalo & Southwestern railroad during its construction, and received and still holds the first pass issued by the officers of the road, he has been engaged in mercantile business over thirty years. He has been the contractor and builder of a great many of the large buildings in Chautauqua and Cattaraugus counties, having built the Chautauqua county insane asylums, poor house, and barns at a cost of nearly $60,000, the insane asylum at Machias, the Cattaraugus county jail at Little Valley, and many of the largest and best buildings at Gowanda. He married, second, in 1884, Miss Mary DAWSON, of Gowanda. Frank C. has been supervisor of Persia six years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 1000

Surnames: WELCH, SWIFT

William W. WELCH was born in Gowanda, Nov. 25. 1835. He married Frances E. SWIFT, July 5, 1860, and was clerk of Cattaraugus county one term beginning Jan. 1, 1871. He was also supervisor of Little Valley in 1875. He has served in public capacities with eminent ability. The family has been prominent in the history of northwestern Cattaraugus as well as in Gowanda, and in every position its members have been distinguished citizens.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Persia Chapter XLII (42)

Page 1000

Surnames: WOODIN, BECKWITH, PRATT, GARVEN

Martin H. WOODIN, son of Homer and Vashti (BECKWITH) WOODIN, was born in Otto, Sept. 1, 1831, and received such educational advantages as the primitive schools of his district afforded. He has always been a farmer and owns a farm in Leon, where he lived twenty years. He is a staunch Republican. Sept. 17, 1856, he married Ruth S., daughter of Hiram and Mahala PRATT, of Otto. Children: Jennie, born in 1858, married William GARVEN, and resides on the homestead in Leon; and Claribell, born in 1869.

Back To Cattaraugus County


If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact me at:

Painted Hills

This page is maintained by the PHGS
Last Update January 25, 2004

2002 by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society
Main | Email Us | Look-Ups | Members Family Pages
Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer

Website designed by Frankie Stonemetz
2002 Painted Hills Genealogy Society
All Rights Reserved