TOWN OF OTTO

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES FROM: "HISTORICAL GAZETTEER AND BIOGRAPHICAL MEMORIAL of CATTARAUGUS COUNTY, NY, ed by WILLIAM ADAMS, Published 1893

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 931

Surnames: ALLEN, BURKE, GIBSON, BROWN, POOL, FRENCH, McCOY

Constant B. ALLEN was born in Locke, N.Y., Sept. 2, 1805. His ancestry is traced back seven or eight generations to the early settlement of New England, where they immigrated from Wales. Both his grandfathers were active participants with the Green Mountain Boys at the time of Burgoyne's invasion, Captain Constant Barney, his maternal grandfather, being one of four rangers who multiplied themselves into as many platoons and stationing themselves on either side of the road during the night intercepted a hand of seventeen tories on their way to join Burgoyne, compelling them to surrender. His father, Hon. Dan ALLEN, was born June 30, 1780, and in young manhood left his native State (Vermont), settling in Cayuga county, N. Y., whence in 1813 he moved to the then wilderness in the north part of the town of Persia (q. v.). He was the father of thirteen children, Constant B. being the oldest and at the time of his arrival in this county seven years of age. At the age of nineteen he had obtained an education enabling him to teach school, which occupation he followed two years. Also about this time he attended two terms in academic schools. It was his purpose to follow the legal profession, but after reading law with Albert G. BURKE, Esq., of Gowanda, some months, he was, on account of failing eyesight, compelled to relinquish that design. In 1833 he came to Otto and for twenty years carried on a successful mercantile trade, engaging also quite extensively in the manufacture of pearlash. In 1841 he purchased the Otto woolen-mills and carried on the manufacture of woolen goods till 1867, part of the time in company with D. F. GIBSON. In 1867 their mill was burned and Mr. ALLEN retired from active business life, except to look after his estate, consisting of several dairy farms. In Feb., 1836, he married Miss B. C. BROWN, who died in Jan., 1844; children: Col. Dan B. ALLEN, of the 154th N. Y. Vols., and Esther (Mrs. S. V. POOL). In Nov., 1852, Mr. ALLEN married S. Ann FRENCH. Mr. ALLEN was a man of decided convictions and an ardent supporter of the anti-slavery and temperance causes. He died Oct.11, 1883.

Col. Dan B. ALLEN (see also page 370), in July and Aug., 1862, raised a company in the 154th N. Y. Vol. Inf. and was mustered into the U. S. service at Jamestown, Sept. 26th, as captain of Co. B. In Feb., 1863, he was promoted major and in June, 1863, became lieutenant-colonel. He was engaged in the battles of Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Rocky Face Ridge, Resaca, and Peach Tree Creek, and in the siege of Atlanta. He was taken sick at Atlanta and sent to the hospital, and resigned his commission on account of illness in Oct., 1864. For gallantry at Gettysburg he was brevetted colonel. Sept. 9, 1878, he married Louisa McCOY, of Ellicottville, and has resided in Otto for the last fifteen years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Pages 931 & 932

Surnames: AUST, KERN

Peter AUST was born in Eden, Erie county, Nov. 21, 1844. His father, Nicholas AUST, came from Lottringen, France, about 1833, and bought of a pretended land company in Buffalo a piece of wild land in Eden, for which he had to go to Batavia and pay for the second time. Peter's education was mostly in the German language. In 1866 he came to Otto. For sixteen years he was engaged in farming and has for ten years kept a meat market in the village. He married, in 1869, Mary, daughter of John KERN, of Eden. They have four sons and one daughter. The oldest son, William, has been town clerk.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 932

Surnames: AUSTIN, INGRAHAM, BOTSFORD

James AUSTIN was born in Washington county, N. Y., Dec. 5, 1811. In 1820 his father, Benjamin AUSTIN, started for the Holland purchase with a span of horses and wagon, his wife, seven sons, a sister of his wife, and his household goods. He arrived in Otto on Dec. 5th and located on a farm near the center of the town, which is now owned by his grandson, Levi AUSTIN. He was a soldier in the War of 1812 and died in 1852. But two of the seven sons who came to Otto in 1820 are living. James, the only one residing in town, has always lived here. Jan. 15, 1835, he married Hannah, daughter of Peter INGRAHAM. Children: Cornelia A. (Mrs. Lucien BOTSFORD), of Wisconsin; Benjamin, of New Albion; John, of Ohio; and Phineas, who enlisted in Co. K, 64th N. Y. Vols., while a lad, and at Spotsylvania, May 12, 1864, was wounded in the hip, from the effects of which he died ten days later in Army Square hospital, Washington. They have living with them a grandson, Simeon AUSTIN.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 932

Surnames: BAILEY, CORNING, POPPLE, BURROUGHS, WRIGHT

Isaac D. BAILEY was born in Persia, N. Y., Oct. 14, 1820. His father, Asa BAILEY, came to that town in 1812. The mother of Isaac D. died when he was quite young, and when ten years old he came to Otto to live with Captain CORNING and this town has ever since been his home. He married, in 1844, Rachel POPPLE, and in 1851 took up his residence in the village, being by trade a carpenter. Mr. BAILEY's house stood in the path of the great tornado of May 30, 1860. He was away. Mrs. BAILEY saw the storm approaching, and at the same time four or five of the neighbor's children going home from school rushed into the house. She got them and two of her own children into the cellar just as the cyclone struck the dwelling, lifting it from its foundations and carrying Mrs. BAILEY and her youngest child with it several rods, where the house was dashed to pieces, but Mrs. BAILEY and her child escaped with slight injuries. Mr. BAILEY's pocket-book containing, among other things, one twenty and one one-dollar gold piece was in a pocket of a coat hanging in the house. After the storm had passed some neighbors in looking over the ruins found the pocket-book on the ground with its contents intact except the gold pieces. There was a hole in the pocket-book, as smooth as though cut by a knife, where the gold had evidently escaped. In the spring of 1871, eleven years afterward, Mr. BAILEY was passing over the ground where his furniture had been scattered, when, to his astonishment, he saw the edge of his twenty-dollar piece peeping out of the ground. Mr. BAILEY rebuilt on the old foundation the house in which he still resides. Mrs. BAILEY died April 4, 1874, and Dec. 30th of the same year he married Mrs. Lucinda E. BURROUGHS. By his first wife he had one daughter, Mrs. Sarah WRIGHT, of Kenyonville, N. Y., and one son, Albert H. BAILEY, of Mt. Jewett, Pa. Mrs. BAILEY has one daughter by her first husband.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Pages 932 & 933

Surnames: BARBER, PARKINSON

James Myron BARBER was born in Palmyra, N. Y., April 10, 1823. In June of the same year his father, James BARBER, started with a yoke of oxen and wagon, his wife, two young daughters, and son James M. for the Holland purchase. He came by way of Buffalo and thence through the Cattaraugus Indian reservation, camping on the reservation by their wagon one night. In the morning the oxen had strayed away and while the husband was hunting for them the wife was nearly distracted with fear, as the Indians and squaws gathered around the wagon, examining its contents, and talking and gesticulating in their strange manner about her "little papoose." They arrived in Otto safely and settled on the farm on which James M. now lives. Mrs. BARBER, on one occasion, left her little girls in their log house, which had for a door simply a blanket, while she ran through the woods to a neighbors. On her return she saw a large bear leaving the house, but found her children unharmed. In 1848 James M. married Nancy PARKINSON, and has had three sons and two daughters, of whom two daughters and one son are deceased. Mr. BARBER has served as highway commissioner twenty-three years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 933

Surnames: BARTLETT, BENEDICT

Nelson BARTLETT, one of a family of two sons and six daughters born to Dexter BARTLETT, was born in Rutland, Vt., June 28, 1813. Dexter BARTLETT with his family left Vermont in 1825, coming to Buffalo on the first boat which came through after the canal was finished. The BARTLETT family are conspicuous in the annals of American history. Josiah BARTLETT was the second name signed to the Declaration of Independence, and from the family to which he belonged have descended the numerous race of BARTLETTs scattered throughout the Union. They hold annual family reunions, two or three having been held in the neighboring town of Collins, where quite a number of the descendants reside. On these occasions hundreds are assembled together and interesting reminiscences related. Nelson BARTLETT was but twelve years old when his father settled in Otto and he well remembers the privations the early settlers underwent. In 1838 he bought an article of twenty-five acres of land in the western part of the town, which he still owns, and which is now increased to a farm of 276 acres. That same year he married Aroline, daughter of Davis BENEDICT, another of the pioneers who came into the town in 1822. They have three sons and one daughter, all married. One son, Judson C., was in the 64th N. Y. Vols. three years. In I870 he bought a pleasant residence in Otto village. He has served his town as an officer in the past and was again elected an assessor for three years in Feb., 1893.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 933

Surnames: BOTSFORD, BARTLETT, KING, COMSTOCK, BALLARD, SHERMAN, TAFFT

Marvin S. BOTSFORD was born in Burlington, Conn., Aug. 5, 1818. His father, Daniel BOTSFORD, was born in 1782 and in 1825 moved to Otto, his family then consisting of his wife, three sons, and three daughters. He made the long journey from Connecticut with a horse and wagon, property at that time seldom seen in Otto. He inherited the vigor and hardihood of his Revolutionary sires and died aged nearly ninety-three. He was for many years a prominent member of the M. E. church in Otto. Marvin S. BOTSFORD was educated in the district schools and has always followed farming, buying seventy-five acres of land in the northwest part of the town when twenty-two years old. To this he has since added till he now has a farm of 222 acres. He married, first, Hannah BARTLETT, who died five years after. March 29, 1853, he married, second, Mrs. Phebe Irish KING. In 1868 he purchased twenty acres of land about half a mile north of Otto village and built a fine residence and out buildings, where he has since resided. By his second marriage he has a daughter, Anna, wife of Prof. John Henry COMSTOCK, of Cornell University.

Wiley S. BOTSFORD, youngest son of Daniel, was born in Otto, March 3, 1827, married, Nov. 9, 1846, Eliza M., daughter of Adam BALLARD, of Otto, and bought of his father the farm on which he was born, which has since remained in his possession, and which now contains 180 acres. In 1873 he moved from this farm to one he purchased a short distance north of Otto village, where he resided till his death. He had two daughters: Urana U. (Mrs. George J. SHERMAN) and Leonora (Mrs. Walter TAFFT). For many years Mr. BOTSFORD and his wife had the care of his father, who died in 1876 aged ninety-four. Mr. BOTSFORD died Nov. 26, 1892, and was buried on the 29th with Masonic honors, he having been for twenty-five years an honored member of that order.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 934

Surnames: BROWN, ROBERTS, BUTTERFIELD

David N. BROWN's parents came from Vermont to Attica, N. Y., about 1819, and there David N. was born May 9, 1822. While he was quite young they removed to Persia in this county, where his opportunities for obtaining an education were limited to a few terms in a district school. When fourteen he commenced learning the cabinet maker's trade, clothing himself out of his salary of $22 per year and improving his mind by study as opportunity offered. When twenty years old he became a clerk in a store with the privilege of attending a select school a term during the winters. At the age of twenty-two he entered into trade on his own account in Gowanda, where he carried on business twelve years. In the fire of 1856 his store with most of the business places in Gowanda was burned. He did not again engage in mercantile trade, but continued to reside in Gowanda till 1861, being eight years postmaster and serving the town of Persia as supervisor two years. In 1861 he moved to Collins, Erie county, and for ten years was a farmer. In 1871 Mr. BROWN became a resident of Otto, purchasing the grist-mill property in the village and selling his farm in Collins in part payment for the same. He married, first, in 1844, Caroline, daughter of Titus ROBERTS, of Gowanda, who died in 1868. He married, second, in June, 1872, Lucy A. BUTTERFIELD. He had one son and four daughters by his first marriage (all of whom are married) and by his second marriage he had two daughters. In politics Mr. BROWN has always been a Democrat, in which party his influence is felt throughout this senatorial district. He has served as supervisor of Otto three years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 934

Surnames: BROWN, FOLEY, BARBER

Dolphus S. BROWN was born in Cheshire, Mass., Sept. 15, 1830. His grandfather came from England prior to the Revolution and was a soldier in the patriot army during that struggle. In 1852 D. S. came to Chautauqua County where, on January 1, 1854, he married Mary J. FOLEY, and taking up his residence in Fredonia he was for a number of years engaged running a wagon distributing paper throughout western New York and northern Pennsylvania. In 1864 he moved to Otto and with the exception of a short residence in Cattaraugus he has resided here since. For nine or ten years he ran the stage from Otto to Cattaraugus. He has been constable fifteen years, collector twelve years, and deputy sheriff nine years. Mr. BROWN has buried four children and July 19, 1888, Mrs. BROWN's death occurred. His other children are: Glen, of Jamestown, N. Y.; Mrs. Charles BARBER, of East Otto; and Mrs. Floyd BARBER, of Otto.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 934

Surname: BULL, COOK

Perus BULL was born in Otto, April 26, 1836. William BULL, his father, came from Hartford, N. Y., in 1835 and settled on the farm on which Perus was born, where he resided till his death in 1891, aged eighty-one. He had four sons and three daughters, of whom only two survived him, viz.: Henry, the oldest, who lives in the village, and Perus, the youngest, who since his birth has lived on the homestead. June 30, 1863, Perus married Belinda, daughter of Theodore COOK one of the early settlers in Otto. The grandfather of Perus BULL was a soldier in the War of 1812 and came to Otto some time after William BULL settled here, where he died. Perus BULL has served as assessor three terms.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Pages 934 & 935

Surnames: BURGER, TRUBY, SMITH, BUTLER

Andrew BURGER, born in Bavaria, Germany, Feb. 27, 1819, learned there the trade of cabinet maker, and in 1849 emigrated to America, coming at once to Buffalo, where for a short time he worked at his trade, and where, on the 27th of Jan., 1850, he married Louisa TRUBY. Soon afterward he moved to Springville, N. Y., and subsequently lived in Ellicottville and Olean. In 1864 he came to Otto and engaged in the furniture and undertaking business, which he carried on till his death Jan. 17, 1885. He left besides his widow one daughter, Mrs. F. SMITH, of Allegany, and two sons, J. Henry and S. F. J. Henry BURGER was born April 15, 1851, in Springville, N.Y. His education was confined mainly to English branches in common schools. He has followed the occupation of his father, working with him till his death, and since then carrying on the business himself. He married, Aug. 13, 1878, Flora, adopted daughter of James BUTLER, an old resident of this town.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 935

Surnames: CAIN, CURTIS

George CAIN, born in Charleston, N. Y., July 7, 1832, was about three years old when his father, Seth CAIN, came to Cattaraugus county, settling first in New Albion and afterward in Otto, where he was engaged in farming and in the lumber business, living some of the time in Otto and a part of the time in New Albion till 1864, when he removed to the west, where he died. George married Melissa A. CURTIS, Feb. 25, 1863. A. B. CURTIS, her father, was one of the early settlers of the town. In 1866 they spent some months in the west with a view to locating a home, but finally returned to Otto, where he bought the homestead farm of Mrs. CAIN's mother and resided here till 1884, when he sold his property in Otto and moved to Hampton, Minn. They have one son, Seth, and one daughter, Eliza.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 935

Surnames: CHARLESWORTH, BALLARD, FOSTER

Samuel CHARLESWORTH, born in England, July 6, 1832, is one of a family of ten children -- six born in England and four in America. His father, Nathan CHARLESWORTH, came to this county in 1841. He was a cotton spinner by trade and after coming to America he worked some years in woolen-mills. He came to Otto in 1845 and died here in 1853. Samuel has made this town his home since he was eleven years of age. He married, May 14, 1857, Eleanor, daughter of Kelsey BALLARD, who came here in the early settlement of the town. In June, 1864, his wife and only child (a daughter of nearly five years) died within a period of one week. He married Lucinda BALLARD, a sister of his first wife, Jan. 1, 1867. They have three daughters and one son. One daughter, E. Maude, is the wife of Carlton FOSTER.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 935

Surnames: COLVIN, BABCOCK

Mark COLVIN was born in New Albion, Nov. 9, 1840. His father, Noah COLVIN, came from Vermont among the early settlers, stopping first in Otto, but soon moving to New Albion, where he lived till 1857, when he removed to Humphrey, where he died in 1873, aged seventy-four. He had five sons and four daughters. In the summer of 1864 Mark enlisted in Co. D. 9th N. Y. Vet. Cav., and was mustered in Sept. 2d and sent to remount camp, Md. Dec. 10th he was sent to Winchester and assigned to his company, moved thence to Lowitsville and from there started on the Gordonsville raid. He was with the troops who took Fort Woodstock. On returning his horse gave out and he was again sent to remount camp, where he drew an untamed horse, which he mounted, and while endeavoring to get him in line the animal reared and fell over back across his rider, the corner of the saddle hitting Mark's left hip and dislocating the cap. By some assistance he returned to Winchester that night, but the next morning he was hardly able to move; he was ordered to the hospital, but refused to go, and did guard duty about six weeks before he could mount his horse. After that he did picket duty in Virginia till his discharge June 1, 1865. July 5, 1865, he married Julia A., daughter of Darius BABCOCK, one of the early settlers in Otto. Three years later they moved to East Otto, where they remained fourteen years, when they returned to this town. They have one son, Bert B., and one daughter, Cecile R.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 936

Surnames: COTRAEL, PARKINSON, RUNNALS, BECKER, BROWN

John COTRAEL, now the oldest male resident in the town of Otto, was born in Dutchess county, June 19, 1801. By the death of both his parents he was left an orphan before his earliest recollection, and when fourteen he went to Schoharie county, where he lived twelve years. When twenty-four years old he married Jane PARKINSON and on the first of Jan., 1827, with his wife and infant son, he started for the Holland purchase with horses and sleigh, arriving in Otto, Jan. 11, 1827. He soon bought an article of 200 acres of wild land, of which he afterward sold 100 acres. Mr. COTRAEL has continued on the same farm to the present time. He has had five sons and two daughters. In 1874 his wife died and since then his daughter, Mrs. W. C. RUNNALS, has cared for him. Mr. COTRAEL has ever been a man of the strictest integrity and an ardent supporter of temperance and sobriety.

Jonathan P. COTRAEL, the oldest son of John, was born in Schoharie county, Jan. 23, 1825. When he was about two years old his father moved to Otto, settling about one mile east of the village. In 1845 he commenced working at the carpenter's trade, which he followed ten years. In 1853 he entered into partnership with H. S. COTRAEL in the mercantile trade, which he continued ten years. In 1863 he engaged in the hardware business, continuing therein till 1877, when he retired from mercantile trade and since then gave his attention to settling up his business affairs and looking after his farming interests. In March, 1855, he married Lida BECKER. Their only living child, Jennie E., is a young lady of rare attainments in music and painting. He died in 1893.

Baxter J. COTRAEL, youngest son of John, was born March 29, 1845, and in addition to the village school privileges he made a specialty of penmanship, in which art he became proficient. At the age of twenty-one he engaged as clerk in the store of J. P. & H. S. COTRAEL. When twenty-seven he entered into partnership with J. P. COTRAEL in the hardware trade and five years later bought the latter's interest. On the 18th of May, 1876, he married Carrie R., daughter of D. N. BROWN.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 936

Surnames: COX, SCOTT

Sylvester M. COX was born in Onondaga county July 7, 1807, and moved to Otto in 1825, settling near the village. He was both a farmer and a blacksmith and acquired a large property. One of his daughters married Judge Allen D. SCOTT, with whom he spent his declining years. He held several town offices and in 1876 was supervisor of New Albion, in which town he resided for a time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 936

Surnames: CROSS, GREEN

Silas B. CROSS's grandfather and father came from Schoharie county and located about one mile east of the village in 1827. At that time Levingston CROSS, the father of S. B., had not attained his majority, but had previously learned the carpenter's trade. He worked on the grist-mill that was building in the village the year they arrived. He subsequently married and located in the village and carried on a door, sash, and blind factory till his death in 1883, aged seventy-three. He was a noted drummer in the famous Otto military band and was an ardent advocate of the temperance cause for many years.

Silas B. CROSS, born March 14, 1837, received his education in the village school and commenced teaching at an early age, teaching in all thirty-eight terms. In 1872 he received a teacher's certificate from the State Department of Public Instruction. He enlisted in the 9th N. Y. Cav., Sept. 9, 1864, and received his discharge June 22, 1865, while in the hospital at Little York, Pa. June 24, 1873, he married Allie, daughter of James C. GREEN; she died April 18, 1892. He has two sons, Ralph and Neal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Pages 936 & 937

Surnames: DAKE, PARKINSON, MIRICK

Oliver DAKE, born Dec. 27, 1813, in Penfield, N. Y., is the youngest and only survivor of twelve children born to Augustus and Eunice DAKE. In 1832 he came with his father to Otto and settled on the farm on which he now lives. Mr. DAKE married Olive PARKINSON, March 8, 1840, who died March 23, 1860. Nov. 30, 1862, he married Adaline MIRICK. By his first wife he had two sons and one daughter. His oldest son, Elisha, now assists in carrying on his large dairy farm. Mr. DAKE comes from a long-lived family. He has been elected to several responsible offices.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 937

Surnames: DERBY, COX, BEAVER

Carlton E. DERBY, only son of Charles F. and Sarah DERBY and grandson of S. M. COX, was born in Persia, April 18, 1853, and traces his ancestry to the DERBYs of Vermont, where they actively participated in the struggle for American Independence. Dec. 30, 1875, he married Elizabeth, daughter of Nicholas BEAVER, of Collins, N. Y. In Feb., 1881, he purchased the homestead farm of his grandfather, S. M. COX, in Otto, consisting of 526 acres, where he has since resided. He manufactures his milk into cheese and butter, keeping from sixty to seventy cows. By the will of Mr. COX, who was one of the pioneer settlers of Otto and for many years a prominent citizen and large landowner, and whose death occurred July 20, 1889, he was appointed executor of the estate, which he still manages. He has one son.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 937

Surnames: DEWEY, De EWES, DEWES, CLARK, BUCK, BLACKNEY, LAKE, GOODRICH, SOULE

Ralph DEWEY. -- The name of DEWEY was originally De EWES. They went from French Flanders into England in the reign of Henry VIII., when the name was DEWES and Simeon DEWES was erected a baronet of Stow Hall about 1629. The first of the name to come to America was Thomas DEWEY, who came from Sandwich, Kent, England, on the ship Lion's Whelp and landed in Boston, Mass., in May, 1630. He settled in Dorchester, Mass., in 1633, and removed to Windsor, Conn., about 1638. March 22, 1638 or 1639, he married widow Frances CLARK. He held various positions, such as juror and deputy to the General Court. He died and was buried at Windsor, Conn., April 27, 1648, leaving five children. Thomas DEWEY, of the fifth or sixth generation from Thomas, was born in Tolland county, Conn., Aug. 20, 1747. His son, Elijah DEWEY, born in Tolland county, Feb. 18, 1782, married Mehitable BUCK, who was also born in Tolland county, July 2, 1789, daughter of a Revolutionary soldier. They removed to Madison county, N. Y., where their son, Ralph DEWEY, was born June 25, 1820, and came with his parents to Perrysburg in 1829. Oct. 29, 1843, he married Caroline L., daughter of Charles BLACKNEY, one of the earliest settlers in Perrysburg. In 1860 they settled in Otto village, where he owned and operated an iron foundry forty years. Mr. DEWEY is a prominent citizen of his town and a man of high character, a member of the Methodist church, and a staunch Republican. He served his town as supervisor five consecutive terms from 1870 to 1875, and will enter upon his seventh term as justice of the peace Jan. 1, 1894. Children: Eliza (Mrs. A. D. LAKE), of Gowanda; Florence (Mrs. H. L. GOODRICH), of Madison county; George C., of Dunkirk; S. Clara (Mrs. C. D. SOULE), of Otto; William C., of Concordia, Kan.; Luman R., of Chicago; C. Bertell of Jamestown; Carrie F.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 937

Surnames: EDDY, GOODRICH

William EDDY was born in Mansfield in 1836, his father, Levi B. EDDY, being one of three brothers who were among the early settlers of that town, and from whom the hamlet of Eddyville derived its name. In 1862 he married Polly A., daughter of J. H. GOODRICH, of East Otto. Mrs. EDDY is one of a family of nineteen children; the mother of all is still living. In 1869 Mr. EDDY purchased a farm in the southeast part of the town, where he has continued to reside. He has one son and one daughter, both of whom are married.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 938

Surnames: FACKLAM, DANKERT

John FACKLAM emigrated from Germany in 1858, settling in Collins, N. Y., where Henry F., the oldest of three sons, was born Jan. 14, 1859, and his brothers a few years later. The father and his family moved to Otto in 1872 and in 1878 purchased a dairy farm of 208 acres. Moving onto it in Jan., 1879, he lived but about one year after this, leaving the sons with their mother to care for the farm, which they have continued to the present time. In 1887 Henry F. commenced dealing in farm implements and fertilizers. His business increasing he removed in 1889 to the village and opened a farm implement establishment, keeping also a stock of wagons, carriages, etc., to which he has since added a general stock of hardware. In boyhood he attended both English and German schools, thus becoming proficient in each language. He married, Nov. 28, 1882, Mina, daughter of Joseph DANKERT, and has two daughters and one son.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 938

Surnames: FOSTER, BULL, MATTOCKS, CHARLESWORTH, SOULE, WEBSTER

Sheldon FOSTER, born Sept. 20, 1831, in Otto, is the second son of Joseph FOSTER, who settled here in 1818, and who for fifty-six years was an honored citizen of the town, dying at the age of seventy-five on the same farm on which he first located. Sheldon's school privileges were such as the common schools of the period afforded. He married, March 29, 1853, Betsey, daughter of William BULL of Otto. He resided in Collins, Erie county, till 1857, when he returned to Otto and settled on the farm on which he now resides. Dec. 14, 1868, Mrs. FOSTER died, leaving a daughter and a son. The daughter, Mary, is now the wife of F. L. MATTOCKS, a marble dealer in Gowanda. The son, C. J. FOSTER, is married to a daughter of Samuel CHARLESWORTH and lives on the homestead. Much of the time since Mr. FOSTER last settled in town he has held official positions, being two years town auditor, twelve years assessor, and twelve years commissioner of highways.

Albert FOSTER was born in Otto, Oct. 14, 1836. Joseph FOSTER, his father, came from Hartford, N. Y., in 1817, lived in Collins one year, and in 1818 came to Otto and articled the farm on which Albert was born, and where he continued to reside till his death in 1874, aged seventy-five. He was justice of the peace sixteen years, was one of the original members of the M. E. church in 1826, and for a number of years kept a record of the meetings with the name of the minister and the text preached from, which is now an heirloom in possession of his son, Albert FOSTER, who has always lived on the homestead. Jan. 3, 1860, Albert FOSTER married Julia F., daughter of Stephen SOULE and sister of T. B. SOULE. For several years they had the care of his aged mother, who died in 1883, aged eighty-two. Children: Clarence P., a stenographer in Buffalo; Ollie (Mrs. Austin WEBSTER); and Herbert and Lutie.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 938

Surnames: GOLD, WOLFF

Henry GOLD was born in Mecklenburg, Schwerin, Germany April 10, 1826. His father died when he was five years old and at an early age he commenced supporting himself by working as a laborer in his native country. In 1856 he married Anna MOLLER and in Germany two sons were born to them. In 1866 he emigrated to America, settling in East Otto, where he hired out as a farm laborer and followed that occupation until 1874, when he purchased a farm of 120 acres in the southeast part of Otto, where he now resides. In 1873 his first wife died and he married, second, Dora WOLFF in 1874. By his first marriage he had three sons and by his second he has had one daughter and two sons. His children are educated both in German and English. He has been twice elected justice of the peace.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Pages 938 & 939

Surnames: GREEN, McMASTERS, ROSS

James C. GREEN came to Otto in 1825. He was born May 22, 1807, in Macedon, N. Y. In 1830 he married Maria McMASTERS and settled on a farm of 250 acres in the north part of the town, where for sixty-two years he has continued to live. He has had three sons and three daughters, only two of whom are now living: James H., the oldest, and Sarah M. (Mrs. Waldo G. ROSS). His second son, Ephraim C., enlisted in Co. C, 64th N. Y. Vols., in 1861, and was killed at the battle of Antietam, Sept. 17, 1862. In Dec., 1888, his wife died. His only remaining daughter, Mrs. W. G. ROSS, now cares for him. Mr. GREEN was supervisor of Otto in 1851, 1852, 1855, and 1867.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 939

Surnames: HANSON, AYERS, LAING

Jacob E. HANSON was born in Ashford, Dec. 26, 1851. His father came into that town among the early settlers. When fourteen years old Jacob commenced work in a cheese factory and for twenty-four years he followed the occupation of cheese manufacturer. In 1887 he married Catharine AYERS, of Otto, he being at the time proprietor of a cheese factory in this town, where he has since resided. They have three sons. He was elected justice of the peace in 1892 for a full term. In March, 1802, he sold his factory interests and has since been engaged with F. C. LAING in the real estate business.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 939

Surnames: HARVEY, REED, SMITH, MALTBIE

Frank J. HARVEY, youngest of three sons of John S. and Thedey HARVEY, was born in New Albion, March 1, 1843, his parents coming to that town from Onondaga county in 1827. For many years John S. HARVEY was a prominent and highly respected citizen of the county. He was supervisor of New Albion in 1837. In 1861 he moved to Otto, where he had purchased a large farm and erected a fine residence where his son Frank J. now resides. He died Feb. 1, 1871, aged sixty-six. His wife (Thedey REED) survived him until July 15, 1889, aged eighty-four. In the division of the estate the Otto farm came into the possession of Frank J., and to him and his wife was left the care of his aged mother. In his youth he attended Chamberlain Institute two years and also received a diploma from Bryant & Stratton's Business College in Buffalo. He married, March 22, 1866, L. Josephine, daughter of James M. SMITH, of Randolph. They have four sons and three daughters living.

John A. HARVEY, only son of Alfred B. HARVEY, was born Nov. 3, 1869, in New Albion, on the homestead farm where his grandfather, John S. HARVEY, settled. He attended the village school in Otto, the Union School in Randolph, six terms in Chamberlain Institute, and one year in the Rochester Business University. When twenty years of age he entered a drug store as clerk, which occupation he followed till Nov., 1891, when he purchased the drug store of B. L. MALTBIE in Otto village, entering into partnership with Mr. MALTBIE under the firm name of J A. HARVEY & Co. Mr. HARVEY is a young man of excellent social, moral, and business qualifications.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Pages 939 & 940

Surnames: HILL, HEMSTREET

Joseph HILL was born in Nunda, N.Y., March 17, 1811. His father, Samuel HILL, was one of the very early settlers in the valley of Zoar in 1814. He came down Cattaraugus creek in a canoe. There were then but two other families in town, both living in the valley. Bears and wolves were seen in great abundance and game and fish were plenty. In one season Samuel killed sixteen bears and Joseph himself was a successful hunter. Jan 22, 1835, he married Catherine, daughter of Abram HEMSTREET, of Ashford. The same year he bought the article of fifty acres of land, a part of the farm on which he now lives. He took his wife and furniture on an ox-sled and his axe on his shoulder and starting for their future home he cut his road to his farm, where he had a log house partly built. Their present residence stands on the same ground on which their first log house was built and their small farm has been increased to about 400 acres. Children: Nathan, of Ohio, and Winfield. Jehiel HILL, brother of Joseph, was for many years prominent in military circles, rising from the office of lieutenant to that of general. Joseph is equally as prominent as a musician and noted especially as a fifer. At the head of the Otto Rifle Company he led the troops to the parade ground at the general trainings in the village of Lodi (now Gowanda).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 940

Surnames: HINMAN, BULLIS

Simeon B. HINMAN traced his ancestry back to the commonwealth in England. Sergeant Edward HINMAN was an officer in the bodyguard of Charles I. After the overthrow and execution of King Charles, about 1650, Sergeant Edward HINMAN was found in New England, where he soon became one of the prominent citizens of those times. From him the numerous HINMANs in America have descended, and many of them have filled important positions in the history of New England. The records show that Simeon B. HINMAN is one of the lineal descendants of Sergeant Edward. Born in Rutland county, Vt., Aug. 11, 1800, he married, in 1826, Keziah BULLIS, a native of Vermont, who died in Otto village April 10, 1893. (See page 839).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 940

Surnames: HUNT, VOSBURG, ANDREWS

Hon. William E. HUNT descends from Puritan stock, his father, Ward HUNT, having moved from Connecticut to Brandon, Vt., in the early part of the present century, where William E. was born Sept. 20, 1822. When ten years of age his father came to Perrysburg. Besides the common school privileges William E. attended two terms at Fredonia Academy. In 1851 he came to Otto and engaged in mercantile business, which he followed twenty-three years, and was also for many years an extensive buyer of dairy products for New York houses. In 1866 he was elected member of Assembly on the Republican ticket by a majority of 1,160. He represented his town on the Board of Supervisors nine years, was postmaster of Otto twenty-four years, and performed all his public duties with fidelity and strict integrity. Jan. 15, 1853, he married Betsey H. VOSBURG; children: two who died in infancy, and Mrs. Arthur ANDREWS, of Minneapolis, Minn. Mr. HUNT some years ago retired from active business and invested considerable of his means in real estate. He died March 23, 1889. Mrs. HUNT survives him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Pages 940 & 941

Surnames: INGRAHAM, AUSTIN, BABCOCK

Alexander INGRAHAM was born in Pittstown, N. Y., Dec. 18, 1823. His father, H. W. INGRAHAM, was a soldier in the War of 1812 and came to Otto in 1826, where he articled fifty acres of wild land, to which he subsequently added more. He had six sons and two daughters and died in 1870, aged seventy-two. Alexander, the oldest of these children, has always resided in the town. In 1855 he married Sally AUSTIN. They have one son and one daughter. Mr. INGRAHAM, a few years ago saw two young girls drowned while attempting to ford Cattaraugus creek, and afterward was more determined than ever to have a bridge over the stream which was built in 1892.

Simeon M. INGRAHAM was born in Pittstown, N. Y., July 7, 1828, and came with his father, H. W. INGRAHAM, to Otto, settling on the farm on which he now lives. He enlisted in Co K, 64th N. Y. Vol. Inf. in the fall of 1861, and at Fair Oaks was struck by three rebel bullets, one of which would probably have proved fatal had not the ball struck his wallet, which contained papers and money. After the battle he found more than forty bullet-holes in his rubber blanket, which was caused by its being rolled up. He passed through the Seven Days' Fight, was at the battles of South Mountain and Antietam, where he was again slightly wounded, and at Fredericksburg, where he was more seriously wounded, the ball passing through his cartridge box and belt and striking a rib bone. He was at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg and was shot through the left hand July 2, 1863. With this wound be was in the hospital till into November, when he again joined his regiment. He was in the battles of the Wilderness and Spotsylvania, in the latter of which he received a severe bayonet wound in one knee and was confined in the hospital till September, when he again joined his regiment in front of Petersburg and had command of his company as first sergeant till the expiration of his term of service. He married Rosina BABCOCK in Feb., 1857. They resided in Leon and New Albion till the death of his father in I870, when he bought out the heirs and removed to the homestead in Otto. Their only child, a daughter, died in infancy and May 13, 1886, his wife's death occurred.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 941

Surnames: JARK, STEBBINS

P. F. JARK was born in Holstein, Germany, Nov. 13, 1837. His father was a farm laborer and P. F. followed the same occupation until thirty years of age, when he emigrated to America and soon after commenced cheese making for F. D. STEBBINS in Mansfield. In 1877 he purchased the cheese factory and decided that in a few years he purchased the large factory in the village and Scott's Corners in Otto, where he then resided. His success in this was so other factories in Mansfield, and is now one of the largest manufacturers of cheese in this section of country. In Dec., 1871, he married and has five daughters and one son. The daughters are liberally educated, the oldest, Augusta, being an accomplished teacher of music.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 941

Surnames: LAING, RUNNALS

Fremont C. LAING, born in East Otto, July 6, 1851, is a son of Stephen LAING (see page 558), and received a thorough education in Forestville Academy, Griffith Institute, and Fredonia Normal school. He commenced teaching school at the age of seventeen, and taught eight terms. For four years prior to 1879 he was engaged in mercantile business in East Otto and in March, 1879, he moved to the village and started one of the most prosperous general stores in this section of country, which business he still continues. He has engaged quite extensively in dealing in Buffalo real estate. In politics a Democrat he was elected to office by a large majority in a Republican town and for four postmaster of Otto. On the 6th of Feb., 1873, he married Inez R., daughter of W. C. RUNNALS, of East Otto, and has one son, Cecil D., and one daughter, Vera M.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 941

Surnames: LAKE, JOHNSON

Frank P. LAKE was born in Otto village Nov. 13, 1858, and is a son of Capt. Phipps LAKE, M. D. (see page 162). The youngest of five children, he received his education in the graded school of Otto and here he has always resided. He is an expert painter and decorator. Aug. 8, 1883, he married Carrie J., daughter of Rev. A. H. JOHNSON, a clergyman of the M. E. church, then holding a pastorate in Otto. They have one son and two daughters.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Pages 941 & 942

Surnames: LOOMIS, SKEELS, STANNARD

Bliss LOOMIS, father of Henry C. and Nelson LOOMIS, came from Bennington, Vt., in 1826, stopping first in Otto village, but in 1828 locating on the farm now owned by Nelson, where he died. Nelson was born on this farm April 13, 1838, and was one of the first from this town to enlist in the Rebellion. May 13, 1861, he enlisted and June 7th was mustered into Co. I, 37th N. Y. Vol. Inf. for two years. The regiment took the same route through Baltimore as the Massachusetts regiment did April 19th, but were unmolested save by "secesh slang." He was in the first battle of Bull Run and after that did guard and police duty in and about Alexandria and Washington till the spring of 1862. He was in the siege of Yorktown, the battles of Williamsburg, Fair Oaks, and Seven Days' Fight, and between Richmond and Harrison's Landing was taken sick and sent to the hospital on David's Island, from which he was discharged in November, 1862. He has preserved a complete record of the scenes and events through which he passed from day to day from the time he enlisted till he arrived home. He married, Dec. 31, 1869, Eveline, daughter of Simeon SKEELS, of Otto, and has always resided on the homestead. He has two sons: Mark, who married 1891, Minnie D. STANNARD, and Guy. Henry C., the elder brother of Nelson LOOMIS, was first lieutenant in Co. C., 64th N. Y. Vol. Inf., lieutenant-colonel in the 154th Regt., was promoted to brigadier-general and now lives in Kansas.

Ed. Note: This biography includes a photograph of Nelson LOOMIS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 942

Surnames: LOSEE, SKEELS

John A. LOSEE, born in Watertown, N. Y., Aug. 7, 1818, attended the common schools and two terms at the Watertown Academy, and married Martha A. SKEELS in 1838. He came to Otto in 1847, purchasing a large farm in the central part of the town. Since 1865 he has resided in the village, his father living with him till his death in 1888 at the age of ninety years. Their oldest son, Sullivan B., was killed June 1, 1862, in the battle of Fair Oaks, while acting lieutenant in Co. C, 64th N. Y. Vols. His younger brother, a member of the same company with his son, died from exposure and sickness soon after the battle. They have one son and one daughter living and buried a married daughter some years ago. He has held several town offices.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 942

Surnames: MERCER, BALLARD

James C. MERCER was born in Oneida county, N. Y., Oct. 22, 1833. His father, James MERCER, emigrated from England about 1820, and came from Oneida county to East Otto when James C. was two years old. When twenty-one the son became a carpenter and joiner and followed that occupation twenty-two years. For the past sixteen years he has been engaged in raising and dealing in Percheron Norman horses and is now the owner of the famous horse Imperial, the champion long-mane horse of the world and the wonder of all beholders wherever exhibited. He has also other noted horses of the same breed. Jan. 15, 1861, he married Emerette C., daughter of Benjamin BALLARD, of Otto. In 1865 Mr. MERCER came to Otto village, where he has since resided. They have one son, William F., a graduate of Chamberlain Institute, Randolph, and of Hillsdale College in Michigan. He has been a teacher in high schools several years and is now principal of Waterford Academy, Waterford, Pa., and is also superintendent of public schools in that town.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Pages 942 & 943

Surnames: O’BRIEN, LOSEE, BROWN

Charles A. O’BRIEN, born in Canada, March 7,1843, came in 1859 to Otto, where he worked at painting about two years. May 11, 1861. he enlisted in Co. H, 37th N. Y. Vols., for two years, being the first volunteer from the town of Otto to answer the call of President Lincoln for troops. Reaching Washington about the first of June he was in the first battle of Bull Run, the siege of Yorktown, the battles of Williamsburg, Fair Oaks, and Seven Days' Fight, and on the 30th of June, 1862, was wounded and taken prisoner. He was two weeks in Libby prison and two months on Belle Island, when he was paroled, and in October was exchanged and joined his regiment. He was in the battles of Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville and was mustered out June 23, 1863. He re-enlisted Aug. 13, 1863, in Co. H, 14th N. Y. H. A., and was mustered in as fourth sergeant on Staten Island. He was acting orderly with a detachment of men in City Hall park, New York, from Dec. 4, 1863, till April, 1864, when he joined the Ninth Army Corps, being promoted color sergeant. About the 1st of May he was made sergeant-major and participated in the battles of the Wilderness, Spotsylvania Court House, North Anna River, Cold Harbor, Tolopotomoy Creek, Petersburg, the mine explosion, and Weldon Railroad, and was promoted to second lieutenant and assigned to Co. M. He served in the battles of Pegram Farm, Hacher's Run, Fort Steadman, and Fort Haskell, making in all nineteen regular battles in which he was engaged. For gallantry in the battles of Forts Steadman and Haskell he was brevetted first lieutenant in the U. S. Vols. by the president and was commissioned first lieutenant by the governor of New York. He was mustered out Sept. 26, 1865. Mr. O’BRIEN married, first, July 13, 1865, Mrs. Jennette S. LOSEE, whose first husband was killed at the battle of Fair Oaks. She died Aug. 28, 1878. He married, second, Mrs. Emma BROWN, Nov. 16, 1880. By his first marriage he had three daughters and by the second two daughters and one son. He is an acting justice of the peace.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 943

Surnames: PRATT, PURDY

Charles E. PRATT was born Oct. 10, 1838, in East Otto, his father, Darius PRATT, being one of the pioneers of that town, settling there about 1820, where he resided till his death. Jan. 1, 1860, Charles E. married Mary E., daughter of Stephen PURDY, of Otto. In Aug., 1864, he enlisted in Co. A, 9th N. Y. Cav., and about the 1st of December the regiment joined General Sheridan's army in the Shenandoah valley. He was in the Gordonsville raid and two days without food; was in the calvalry dash at Perryville, where his horse stumbled in attempting to jump a ditch and he received an injury to his hip, from which he never recovered; and received his discharge at Winchester, Va., in 1865. Settling in the north part of Otto he has since resided there. He has two sons: Ernest, who is married and has a family, and Claude, living at home. Mr. PRATT has been elected to several official positions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 943

Surnames: ROGERS, CROSS

Thomas L. ROGERS was born in New York city, June 4, 1818, and when nine years old his father died. In 1829 he came with his mother to Otto and has ever since made this town his home. For a number of years he carried on a chair manufactory. He married, Sept. 10, 1840, Mary E., daughter of John CROSS, who settled in Otto in 1827, coming here from Schoharie county, where Mary E. was born Feb. 12, 1824. They have four sons and one daughter, all of whom are married. Stephen H., the oldest, enlisted in Co. C, 64th N. Y. Vol. Inf. in Aug., 1861, and was promoted to sergeant. He was in the battles of Fair Oaks, Seven Days' Fight, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Cold Harbor, and was wounded at the first battle of Petersburg. He was mustered out at the end of his three years' service and is now living in Montana. Two of the sons are engineers on the Erie railway and the daughter lives in Salamanca. Mr. ROGERS was town clerk eight years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 943

Surnames: SHERMAN, BOTSFORD, ROOT

George J. SHERMAN, son of David, was born in Collins, N. Y., Aug. 10, 1842. In 1859 he came with his father to Otto. Jan. 1, 1863, he married Urana U., oldest daughter of W. S. BOTSFORD. She was born in Otto, April 10, 1848. They commenced housekeeping on the farm of her father, where they have ever since resided. They have two daughters and one son, the daughters being Mrs. Adrian ROOT and Mrs. Simeon BOTSFORD. The son, Wiley B., lives at home. Mr. SHERMAN's aged mother has lived with them several years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 943

Surnames: SHIPPY, BARSE

Leroy SHIPPY, born May 21, 1836, in Otto, is the second of five sons of Elisha SHIPPY, one of the early settlers of the town. All these five sons were soldiers in the Union army during the Rebellion. Augustus A., the oldest, was killed at Rocky Face Ridge, Ga., while color-sergeant and was the fifth man shot as one after the other they seized the colors of the 154th N. Y. Vols. Leroy was the first of these sons to enlist. He was mustered in Sept. 16, 1861, in Co. C, 64th N. Y. Vols., and was shot through the left arm at the battle of Fair Oaks, June 2, 1862, his file-leader dropping dead at the same instant. He was in the battles of Chancelorrsville and Gettysburg, where he was shot through the right hand July 2, 1863. He was mustered out in the fall of 1864 and returned to his home in Otto, where he has since resided. In 1869 he married Mrs. Sabrina BARSE.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Pages 943 & 944

Surnames: SMALLMAN, LAING, MANDEVILLE, FOSTER

Edward SMALLMAN was born in Queens county, Ireland, Feb. 17, 1840. His father, Richard SMALLMAN, died when Edward was four years old. At the age of sixteen the latter commenced a five years' apprenticeship at the shoemaker's trade. In 1861 he emigrated to America, landing in New York on Aug. 12th, and Aug. 12, 1862, enlisted in Co. I, 20th Conn. Vol. Inf. He was assigned to the Twelfth Army Corps in the Army of the Potomac and was in the battle of Chancellorsville, where he was wounded in the head and taken prisoner. He was in Richmond three weeks, when he was paroled and sent to parole camp near Alexandria. In Sept., 1863, he was exchanged and joined his regiment at Murfreesborough, Tenn. He participated in the battles of Resaca, Cassville, Peach Tree Creek, and siege of Atlanta, his being the first picket line which entered that city. He was at the capture of Savannah, in the battles of Averysville and Bentonsville, and was present when Johnston surrendered at Raleigh. He was mustered out at New Haven, Conn., June 27, 1865. He came to Otto in Aug., 1865, and worked twenty years at his trade, and has since then been clerk in the store of F. C. LAING, having had charge of the business since Mr. LAING moved to Buffalo. Nov. 14, 1867, he married Margarette MANDEVILLE. They have one daughter, Mrs. Mary F. FOSTER, living in the village, and one son, Frank E.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 944

Surnames: SOULE, HUNT, PIERCE, DEWEY

Thomas B. SOULE was born in Otto, Oct. 6, 1846, his father, Stephen SOULE, coming from Collins, N. Y., a few years previous. His opportunities for schooling were the common schools and one term in Chamberlain Institute. He was for a few years employed as clerk in the store of W. E. HUNT in Otto and for four years carried on the mercantile business himself. For the last twelve years he has been engaged in the manufacture of woolen goods in company with C. B. PIERCE in PIERCE's woolen-mills in Otto. He has served four years as town clerk and is now serving his sixth year as supervisor, being also the present postmaster. Oct. 9, 1872, he married S. Clara, daughter of Ralph DEWEY. They have two sons and one daughter. The oldest son, Ralph, is in the employ of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy R. R. in Chicago.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 944

Surnames: STEBBINS, HARRIS, ARMSTRONG

Anson L. STEBBINS was born in Granby, Mass., Dec. 8, 1825. His father, Aaron W. STEBBINS, moved from Massachusetts to Vermont after the birth of Anson L. and thence to Mansfield in 1832, coming the entire distance with one horse and wagon. He settled on a farm which remained in his possession till his death in 1888, aged ninety-one. Anson L. married, Oct. 24, 1849, Mary, daughter of S. W. HARRIS. In 1855 he settled in Otto on a farm just west of the village. Children: Edwin D., a blacksmith in Otto village; Ina A. (Mrs. B. J. ARMSTRONG), who resides on a farm; and Ida C. (Mrs. J. D. ARMSTRONG), of Salamanca. Mr. STEBBINS has held several offices of trust.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Pages 944 & 945

Surnames: STRICKLAND, ALLEN, SMITH, HUNT

Walter H. STRICKLAND was born in Watertown, Conn., Feb. 4, 1816. His grandfather, Samuel STRICKLAND, was an officer in the American army during the Revolutionary war, and was born in 1744 and died in 1826. His father, John STRICKLAND, was born July 25, 1783, and died Oct. 19, 1841. In 1828 he moved from Connecticut to Oneonta, N. Y., and in 1832 came to Otto, settling on fifty acres of land now included in the farm of W. H. STRICKLAND. He had five daughters and two sons. Since the death of his father Walter H. has continued in possession of the original farm and has added to it till the place now includes 350 acres. Mr. STRICKLAND had an academic education and at the age of nineteen he commenced teaching school, which he followed fifteen years, holding a life certificate, but on account of lung difficulty was obliged to relinquish teaching and give his attention to farming. In 1836 he was one of the first members of the M. E. church in the village and is now the only one of that little band living. Mr. STRICKLAND married, first, Statira, daughter of Hon. Dan ALLEN, of Gowanda, July 13, 1843. She died Dec. 16, 1852. By this marriage he had two sons and one daughter, of whom the oldest son, John, and daughter, Mrs. Laura SMITH, are still living; the other son, Dan A., died in May, 1882. In Jan., 1854, he married Mrs. Maryette B. HUNT; they have one son, Channing W., and two daughters deceased.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 945

Surnames: TOLMAN, PALMER, BUNDY

J. N. TOLMAN, born Aug. 27, 1827, in Evans, N. Y., moved in 1868 to Otto, purchasing of Edmund PALMER about 400 acres of land in the Zoar valley, where he has since resided, carrying on a large dairying business and raising extensive crops of grain. Mr. TOLMAN, with others in the valley, has worked industriously to secure the construction of a permanent bridge across Cattaraugus creek, which was built in 1892. In 1858 he married Eugenia BUNDY; they have two sons and three daughters.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 945

Surnames: TRUBY, HARRISON, ACKERMAN, LOCKRIDGE, HEPPNER

Frederick TRUBY, the oldest of three TRUBY brothers residing in the village of Otto, was born in Weidenhausen, Germany, on the 6th of May, 1835. His father died when he was ten years old and at the age of sixteen, by the death of his mother, he was left an orphan. In 1852 he decided to seek a home in America, and landing in New York in the fall of that year he came in February following to Ellicottville, where he commenced learning the cabinet maker's trade with William E. HARRISON, for whom he worked most of the time till the spring of 1863, when he went to Germany to settle the parental estate. His father had been proprietor of a shoe store and manufactory. Returning to America in the fall he came to Otto to where he has since resided, being engaged in the cabinet and carpentering business until 1866. In 1858 he received his citizenship papers and in the fall of 1864 he was drafted into the service, but put a substitute into the army. In 1866, in company with his brother John, he opened a clothing and manufacturing establishment under the firm name of F. & J. TRUBY. John was a practical tailor and the brothers have continued their business over twenty-five years, their sales extending to all parts of the surrounding country. In 1868 Mr. TRUBY was elected overseer of the poor and re-elected twelve successive terms. In 1880 he received the nomination of superintendent of the poor of Cattaraugus county on the Republican ticket and was elected. He was re-elected in 1883 and 1886, holding the office nine successive years. April 29, 1866, F. and J. TRUBY married, respectively, Christine and Minnie ACKERMAN. Frederick's children are one daughter, who died when one and a half years old; Lutie; Willard F., a graduate of Chamberlain Institute and now a student in Cornell University; and Jessie.

Ernest H. TRUBY was born in Weidenhausen, Germany, Dec. 7, 1843. His parents both died before he was eight years old and at fifteen he commenced learning the shoemaker's trade. When nineteen he emigrated to America, landing in New York, Oct. 15, 1862, and six days after commenced work at his trade for D. M. LOCKRIDGE in Otto village. In 1863 he entered into partnership with William HEPPNER in the boot and shoe business. In 1865 he purchased HEPPNER's interest and has since continued alone. In July, 1887, his store and residence were destroyed by fire, but in Feb., 1888, he had ready for occupancy a commodious brick building where his former store stood. Mr. TRUBY married, June 1, 1868, Minnie TRUBY, and they have two sons. For twelve years he has held the office of overseer of the poor, being elected several times without opposition.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Pages 945 & 946

Surnames: WAYNE, SMITH

George H. WAYNE was born in Rochester, N. Y., Aug. 11, 1845. His parents emigrated from Germany. In 1861 he attended the University of Rochester a few months, but enlisted in Co. E, 100th N. Y. Vol. Inf. and joined McClellan's army at Fortress Monroe. He was in the battles of Williamsburg, Fair Oaks, and Seven Days' Fight, and was wounded at Deep Bottom and lay in the hospital three months. After recovering he was at the taking of Folly Island, Morris Island, in the charge on Fort Wagner, and was wounded on Morris Island by the explosion of a shell. He was in Captain Payne's expedition of twelve men to spike cannon at Fort Johnson. He was mustered out in Buffalo in Dec., 1864. Mr. WAYNE came to East Otto in 1873 and for fourteen years carried on a wagon shop and blacksmithing business. In Jan., 1887, his shops with a large stock were burned. In Nov., 1887, he came to Otto village, where he has since been doing a blacksmith business. In 1873 he married Lotilda SMITH; they have two daughters.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Otto – Chapter XL (40)

Page 946

Surnames: WICKHAM, GRIFFITH

James T. WICKHAM was born in Orleans county, N. Y., April 14,1843, and when about ten years old his father, James WICKHAM, with his family came to East Otto. In 1861 James T. enlisted in Co. C, 64th N. Y. Vols. For several weeks he was nearly blind with inflammation of the eyes while in Camp Fenton. He was in the siege of Yorktown and arrived at Williamsburg just at the close of that battle. He was slightly wounded in the battle of Fair Oaks, was in the Seven Days' Fight, and was sent to the hospital at Fortress Monroe, thence to New York, and from there to his home. After about six weeks he returned to his regiment at South Mountain. After the battle of Antietam he was sent to the hospital, transferred to the Veteran Reserve Corps, and assigned to provost duty till his term of service expired. He contracted disease in the early part of his service, from which he has never recovered. Nov. 14, 1864, he married Helen S. GRIFFITH. For about twelve years he has been agent for Smith & Jones, of Utica, dealers in dairy supplies.
 

Back To Cattaraugus County


If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact me at:

Painted Hills

This page is maintained by the PHGS
 Last Update January 25, 2004

© 2002 by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society
Main | Email Us | Look-Ups | Members Family Pages
Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer

Website designed by Frankie Stonemetz
2002© Painted Hills Genealogy Society
All Rights Reserved