TOWN OF MACHIAS

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES FROM: "HISTORICAL GAZETTEER AND BIOGRAPHICAL MEMORIAL of CATTARAUGUS COUNTY, NY, ed by WILLIAM ADAMS, Published 1893
 
 

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 793

Surnames: AUSTIN, SMITH, KNIGHT, BAILEY

Marvin AUSTIN, son of Edwin A. and Polly (SMITH) AUSTIN, was born April 3, 1833. His father, a native of Massachusetts, was born Oct. 8, 1806; his mother was born Nov. 11, 1812. They were married Feb. 13, 1830, and settled in Farmersville near the Machias line in 1832. In 1870 they removed to Michigan. Both are deceased, and their remains repose side by side in the cemetery at Elton in Freedom. Marvin AUSTIN has always been a farmer. He had dealt largely in cattle, sheep, and swine, and for six years from 1883 was a merchant in Machias. He served the town on the Board of Supervisors in 1875 and again in 1876 and has been postmaster. In Sept., 1854, he married Angeline KNIGHT, who was the mother of his daughter Georgieann, and who died in Sept. 1865. He married A. Eliza BAILEY on Nov. 5, 1868, and they have one daughter, Lizzie.,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 793

Surnames: BAKER, BEACH, SHERWIN

Marcus BAKER, son of Jonathan and Betsey (BEACH) BAKER, was born in Litchfield, Conn., in 1802. In 1829 he married Permelia SHERWIN in Madison county and in 1842 the made a permanent settlement in Machias on the farm where his son Edwin now resides. Mrs. BAKER died in 1870 and Mr. BAKER in 1871. Edwin BAKER, born inCortland county in 1831, succeeded his father on the homestead. He began teaching at the age of sixteen and continued to teach in winter until he was forty. He has served his town as supervisor seven consecutive years. He was town superintendent of schools and served as justice of the peace, except one term, since 1859. He served as coroner one term and has been journal clerk of the Board of Supervisors eleven consecutive years and was chairman of the board in 1872.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Pages 793 & 794

Surnames: BESSEY, JEFFERSON, GOULD, HAWKINS, PEET

Ira BESSEY was born in Rutland, Vt, about 1786. His parents came to Pembroke, Genessee county, and a few years later Ira married Judith JEFFERSON, who was born in Vermont, Aug. 11, 1793. They settled there, where their four children were born. They removed to Machias in Nov., 1831, where Mr. BESSEY died Oct. 15, 1833. Mrs. BESSEY died Feb. 22, 1869. William BESSEY, their oldest son, born Dec. 16, 1816, raised the younger children to mature years, bought the homestead, and has deeded one-half of it to his son-in-law, Lyman GOULD. Mr. BESSEY married Harriet HAWKINS, Mar. 19, 1843. She was born in Otsego county, NY., Dec. 20, 1820, and died April 29, 1892.

Children:

Philena M., born Oct. 23, 1845, died May 25, 1858 

Judith, born Dec. 1, 1847, married Lyman GOULD Jan 19, 1870.

Mr. BESSEY raised an adopted son, James Monroe BESSEY, who married Eva PEET.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 794

Surnames: BREWER, McINTYRE, PORTER, BUTTON, BECKWITH

Jared Augustus BREWER, only son of Jacob T. and Esther (McINTYRE) BREWER, was born in New Berlin, NY, Mar. 5, 1811, and came with his father to Farmersville in May, 1833, where Jacob T. died Feb. 23, 1850. In 1848 he moved to Machias, settling on the first deeded land in the town. Mr. Brewer married, in 1830, Sybil E. PORTER; children: Esther Eliza (Mrs. J.E.K. BUTTON) born Aug. 4, 1831, & died Jan. 7, 1872; Maria Jennett (Mrs. Luther A. BECKWITH), born June 24, 1833, died Oct 23, 1861. Mr. BREWER filled nearly all of the town offices and represented Machias as supervisor in 1855 and 1856.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 794

Surnames: BUSH, STROUD, MARVIN, ALLEN, WRIGHT, ORNE, BLIGHTON

Samuel BUSH, son of John and Jane (STROUD) BUSH, was born in Tompkins county, Nov. 23, 1794. He spent a few years with his grandfather STROUD, a prominent citizen of Stroudsburg, PA, and married, in Tompkins county, Sally Maria MARVIN in Nov., 1817, where he settled as a farmer. In March, 1824, he came with his family to Yorkshire (now Machias). He cleared his farm of 160 acres, sold it, and removed to another, now in the village of Machias. In a few years he owned 360 acres on the Franklinville road, where he died April 18, 1865. Mr. BUSH was a prominent citizen and his quaint expressions are still remembered. He was first a Whig and then a staunch Republican. He was buried on the same day Lincoln was laid to rest. Mrs. BUSH died on the homestead in Sept. 1867. They had twelve children and raised nine to adult age; four are living; Elvire, widow of Hon. Andrew L. ALLEN; Rhoda, widow of Franklin B. WRIGHT; N. Maria (Mrs. P.N. ORNE); Jane (Mrs. T.N. BLIGHTON); and Charles N., who died July 11, 1893.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Pages 794 & 795

Surnames: BUTTON, TEN BROECK, JOSLYN, PRESCOTT, HALL

Hon. Heman G. BUTTON was born in Concord, NY, May 1, 1816. His father Charles BUTTON, a native of Vermont, came from Concord and settled in Machias (then a part of Ischua) in April, 1817. Since then Heman G. has resided within the town, living her longer than any other citizen. His opportunities for an education being limited to the primitive common schools his early acquirements in scholarship were quite meager, but he had ambition and energy and by hard study at home he was qualified to teach a common school. His father was an invalid and unable to labor from 1820 to 1832, when he died. Heman G., at the age of nineteen commenced to teach school and continued fourteen winter terms, five of which he taught in his village. He began business a farmer, which has been the leading occupation of his life. He was first a Whig, but joined the Republican party at its organization, and was a steadfast supporter of the Union all through the Rebellion. He was active in enlisting soldiers. In 1841 he was elected inspector of common schools and served two years; he was town superintendent of schools four years, served as highway commissioner and assessor, was justice of the peace twentypfour years and justice of sessions one term; he represented Machias on the Board of Supervisors in 1854 and in 1866, and has served Cattaraugus County as superintendent of the poor fourteen years and as loan commissioner seven years, and has been notary public since 1878. He was elected a member of Assembly in 1866. The late Judge Ten Broeck, founder of Ten Broeck Free Academy in Franklinville, appointed Mr. Button one of its trustees, which position he still holds. He has also served his town as railroad commissioner, and has never been defeated at an election when a candidate for any office. Mr. Button is a man of more than ordinary ability. He is a close reasoner, a ready conversationalist, and a wel-informed man. He is public spirited, and for years has exerted great influence in political affairs. March 4, 1838, he married Jerusha JOSLYN of Machias, who died in 1856. She was the mother of all his children, Daniel W. Kingsley, Millard Fillmore, Naomi, Alvira L., Adell, and Ida. Nov. 27, 1856, he married Mrs. Sarah M. (PRESCOTT) HALL, widow of the late Flisha HALL of Machias. She was born Dec. 11, 1832, in Sanbornton, NH, where her parents were born. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 795

Surnames: BUTTON, BREWER, BESSEY

Jesse E.K. BUTTON, son of Charels BUTTON, the pioneer of Machias, was born Feb. 13, 1824. His father died when Jesse was but eight years old. He began his life teaching in the common schools, which he continued several years, finally taking up farming as an avocation. He has served Machias as superintendent of schools and as assessor and the county as superintendent of the poor. His first wife, Eliza BREWER, was the mother of all his children - two sons, two daughters. His present wife is the widow of Adam BESSEY.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 795

Surnames: BUTTON, BROWN, ADAMS, THURBER

Lyman BUTTON, oldest son of Charles, was born July 28, 1808, and came to Machias with his parents in 1817. He succeeded his father on the homestead and June 29, 1836, married Polly, daughter of Reuben BROWN, a pioneer of Freedom. He located about half a mile west of Elton, where he and his wife resided to the close of their lives. Mr. BUTTON was always a farmer. He died on March 18, 1859, and Mrs. BUTTON on Nov. 16, 1888. Children: Harvey, who succeeded his father and died Feb. 5, 1889; Reuben C. (see page 649); William H., born Nov. 14, 1841, died Nov. 24, 11845; Lyman, born Feb. 8, 1844, died Jan. 11, 1848; David M., born May 4, 1849, commenced business in Franklinville as a dealer in furniture and an undertaker, was a liveryman in Allegany, and in 1890 purchased the homestead; Caroline A., born Nov. 3, 1850, died Sept. 18, 1888; and Jonas, born Feb. 12, 1853. Sept. 22, 1874, David M. married Emily ADAMS of Franklinville, who died Dec. 4, 1875, being the mother of Andrew Lyman BUTTON. She was a lady of culture and had been a teacher in Ten Broeck Academy. March 20, 1878, he married Cora A. THURBER of Allegany; children: Winnie E., Flora Blanche, David Glenn, Ernest Leone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 795

Surnames: CARVER, GRISWOLD, LOCKE

Sylvester CARVER, son of Samuel and Bersheba (GRISWOLD) CARVER, was born in Sherburne, NY, April 17, 1796, married Lydia LOCKE, and settled in Machias, where he had made a small clearing and built a log house on a lot of 120 acres. He has a warrantee deed of his farm. He was a good financier and at one time he owned 390 acres of land. He was first a Whig and later a Republican. He served as highway commissioner, overseer of the poor, and assessor, and was prominent in the Christian church. Mrs. CARVER died March 10, 1863, and Mr. CARVER on Feb. 13, 1883. Six of their ten children attained maturity: Harriet, Sylvester J., Lydia, Chester, Roxana, and Cathalo. The latter died June 7, 1865; he was a soldier in the Union Army.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 795

Surnames: DAY, RICE, REMINGTON

Clark D. DAY, son of Hartston and Laura (RICE) DAY, was born in Ashford, May 7, 1852, was educated in the common schools and in Griffith Institute, Springville, NY, and became a teacher, which vocation he followed thirty-three terms. He has also been a farmer. A Democrat in politics he was elected school commissioner of the First District of Cattaraugus County in 1890. He also served the town of Ashford as justice of the peace eight years. Sept. 1, 1874, he married Eva P. REMINGTON, of Ashford, daughter of Bela C. REMINGTON. They have one daughter, Alice I., born March 16, 1882.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Pages 795 & 796

Surnames: EUCHNER, WRIGHT, LITTLE

John E. EUCHNER was born in Holland, Erie County, and at the age of nineteen became a partner in a grocery store. In 1874 he exchanged this in part payment for a half-interest in Lime Lake mills, of which he is now sole owner. Mr. EUCHNER is a Republican and was elected supervisor in 1892 and again in 1893. Jan. 1, 1880, he married Eva WRIGHT, who was accidentally drowned in Lime Lake in May following. In March 1883, her married Grace LITTLE. Children: Eva M., Willie, and an infant.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 796

Surnames: EVANS, EDWARDS, JAMES, BEAM, NEWMAN

David H. EVANS, son of Thomas and Elizabeth (EDWARDS) EVANS, was born in Cardiganshire, Wales, April 22, 1847, was educated in the English and in his native language, and beginning at the age of fourteen served three years at the trade of a merchant. He then received a letter of recommendation from his employer and went to Abertan, Glamorganshire, where he was a clerk two years and a half, when he was obliged to leave on account of ill health. In the spring of 1869 he came to America and located in Centerville, NY, where he labored for the farmers. He married, in Freedom, Mary JAMES, also a native of Wales, and rented a farm in that town. Six years later he formed a mercantile partnership with G.H. BEAM at Hume under the firm name of EVANS & BEAM. In March, 1887, with C.C. NEWMAN, of Sandusky, he opened a general store in Machias, and Jan. 1, 1892, purchased the interest of Mr. NEWMAN. As soon as possible he became a citizen of the United States and joined the Republican party. Children: Willie I., John H., Anna E., Christmas H., Sadie J., and Mamie B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 796

Surnames: FARRAR, DOOLITTLE, LOOMIS, KING

Wiggin M. FARRAR was born in New Hampshire Feb. 14, 1797. His father, John FARRAR, was a farmer, inn keeper, and merchant, and the son was a soldier in the War of 1812. The family came to New Berlin, NY and thence in 1817 to Rochester, whence Wiggin, in 1819, came with the family to Machias. After living on various tracts he purchased the homestead in 1828, on which he spent his life. In 1826 he married Hannah DOOLITTLE who died shortly afterward. In 1828 he married Betsey LOOMIS. His father died in 1854. Wiggin FARRAR was prominently identified with his town’s affairs and represented it on the Borad of Supervisors several terms. He was also county superintendent of the poor five years, and held nearly every town office. He was a man of decided traits of character, and during his latter years became totally deaf. His daughter married Dr. Thomas J. KING (see pg. 146).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Pages 796 & 797

Surnames: FIELD, COMFORT, KIDDER, CARTER, CLARK

Rev. J. M. FIELD, born in Gainesville, N. Y., July 2, 1816, died in Machias, Jan 31, 1892. His early education was limited to the common schools. He received his first license to preach Aug. 6, 1840 from Rev. O. F. COMFORT, presiding elder of the M. E. church. He then began a systematic course of study and economized time by studying the English language while riding on horseback to his appointments. He was a close student and eventually an able scholar. After a ministry of three years in the M. E. church he preached on a Wesleyan Methodist circuit one year and then united with the Christian church, being ordained in that denomination at a special session of the New York Wester Christian Conference on Sept. 13, 1845. He was fifty-two years in the ministry and over forty years pastor of the Christian church of Machias – a longer pastorate with one church, except that of Rev. Moses KIDDER of Woodstock, Vt, than any other minister in the Christian denomination in America. In 1856 he joined the Erie Christian Conference and for more than thirty years was the most popular preacher in that conference. He often presided at its annual meetings. He preached over 1,000 funeral sermons and married over 500 couples. He was loved by the ministry, by his church, and by the entire community. As a preacher he was scriptural, spiritual, earnest, clear, and positive. In stature he was tall, well proportioned, stood erect and presented a noble appearance in the pulpit. As a pastor he was a shining example of all Christian virtues and continually labored to do good in the homes of his parishoners and the whole community. Mr. FIELD married, first, Adelia CARTER, of Farmersville, Oct. 13, 1841. They had one child, a son, who died at the age of four months. She died July 30, 1844. He married, second, Celecta D. CLARK, of Allen, N. Y., March 5, 1845, with whom he lived nearly forty-seven years. To them were born five children, three sons and a daughter of whom reached maturity. To Mrs. Celecta D. FIELD’s ceaceless industry, excellent judgement, fervent piety, and loving devotion he owed much of his success as a preacher and pastor, and now, at the age of seventy years, the oldest member of the Machias church, she is passing the peaceful evening of her life loved and honored.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 797

Surnames: FOLLETT, BAKER, POTTER

Nathan FOLLETT, son of John, was born in Rensselaer county April 19, 1802. In 1822 he came to Cattaraugus county and was engaged as a salesman by Henry L. BAKER and sold the first goods in Yorkshire at Yorkshire Corners, using a portion of the barroom of the Williams tavern for a salesroom. In 1823 he came to Machias, where he spent the remainder of his life. Here he entered the store of Peck & Jefferson, first merchants of Machias, located at the foot of Lime Lake. In April, 1829, he married Clarissa, daughter of Daniel POTTER, who was born Dec. 8, 1805. They celebrated their golden wedding in April, 1879. They settled at the outlet of the lake, where Mr. FOLLETT built the second grist-mill on the site of the first, with a wool-carding and cloth-dressing-mill under the same roof, and managed the business about thirty years. He died Aug. 17, 1880; Mrs. FOLLETT died Dec. 28, 1882. Children: Mary, Rathbun, William, Wesley, Fletcher, Melville, and Albert.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 797

Surnames: FOLLETT, CLEARY, VINTON, VELZY, PIERCE, SMITH

William FOLLETT, born July 6, 1832, attended the common schools, and July 5, 1855, married Margaret CLEARY, of Machias, and settled on the Joslyn farm where he remained until 1857, when he accepted the position of keeper of the County Alms House and Insane Asylum and farm attached, where he remained, except two years, until April, 1891, when he resigned. He now resides in the village in the house he erected in 1880. Mrs. FOLLETT died April 25, 1864; children: Mary Grace (deceased); Dora (Mrs. Platt VINTON), of Gowanda: and Nathan. Oct. 2, 1865, he married Emily, daughter of John VELZY; children: Margaret (Mrs. O. W. PIERCE), of Olean; Edith (Mrs. Dr. Cassar SMITH), of Farmersville; and Dr. William.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 797

Surnames: FOLTS, FRANK, HOPKINS

Frank D. FOLTS, son of Timothy and Mary E. (FRANK) FOLTS, was born in Ashford in 1839. Both his grandfathers were pioneers of that town. He received his education in the common schools and in Springville Academy, and began business as a farmer and dealer in cattle. During the war he was an extensive buyer of horses for the government, and the ensuing seventeen years he dealt in marble and granite. In 1879 he built his first hotel at Machias Junction, which was burned about as soon as finished in March 1880. Ninety days later his present hotel was built on the site. Mr. FOLTS was a merchant six years, kept his hotel six years, was the postmaster of Leek postoffice seven years, and was a census enumerator in 1892, and was also a farmer and has nine tenement houses. Sept. 11, 1861, he married Naomi HOPKINS, of Ashford who at the age of twenty one had taught common schools seventeen terms. Children: Burdette E., conducting the FOLTS House, and Erton T., baggagemaster at Machias Junction.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Pages 797 & 798

Surname: JEFFERSON

Willard JEFFERSON, a native of Vermont, came to Machias at a very early date and settled on the farm where the county alms house has since been built. He was an enterprising man and became prominent in the early history of the town. He was supervisor in 1832 and 1833. He sold his farm to the county in 1833 and removed to Ohio, where he was again prominent, and died.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 798

Surnames: JOSLYN, ANDREWS, PARKER

William A. JOSLYN, son of James and Levina (ANDREWS) JOSLYN, was born in Darien, NY April 14, 1847. His father was a native of Hanover, NH and came with his parents to Darien in 1816. His mother was born in Columbia Co., NY in 1815 and went to Alexander with her parents about 1818. In Oct. 1849, William A. came with his parents to Machias and settled on the farm on lots 20 and 21. James JOSLYN was a Justice of the Peace in Darien and assessor in Machias. He died in 1877 and his wife in 1874. William A. JOSLYN succeeded his father on the homestead. He is a Democrat, and in 1882 was elected justice of the peace, which position he has held continuously to the present time. March 8, 1871, he married Emma J. PARKER of Machias; children: Essie A., A. Jackson, Viola, James Ray, and Lilia M.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 798

Surnames: LEEK, EDWARDS, FARRAR, GANN

Almerin LEEK, son of Abram, was born on Long Island, Dec. 5, 1805 and married Mary EDWARDS, also a native of Long Island who was born Dec. 8, 1805. They came to Machias in 1834 and settled on a farm three miles south of the village, whence they subsequently removed to the village. Mrs. LEEK died July 26, 1838, and Mr. LEEK married Asenath FARRAR, who is also deceased. Mr. LEEK died in 1875. He was a member, class-leader, and steward of the M. E.Church and for years superintendent of the Sunday school. In 1862, 1863, and 1864 he represented Machias on the board of Supervisors. He was the father of five children; only two are living; Lewis, born July 8, 1832, a farmer in Iowa, and Stephen E., born in Machias, Jan 13, 1835. In Jan. 1862 he enlisted in the 11th N. Y. Calvary and served to the close of the war. Returning from the war he resumed his trade of a harness maker. In 1864 he married Jane GANN of Long Island.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 798

Surnames: LEE-O-NETTO, KANISTANAUX, NATALAC

Madam LEE-O-NETTO, M.D. was born in Sherbrooke, Canada, while her parents, who were native Senecas, were there on a visit. She was raised near Salamanca and educated in Lenoxville and other schools, and took a medical course in Nelson Greene Medical College, where she was graduated about 1868. She practiced five years with Dr. BROWN, a celebrated surgeon and physician of Sherbrooke, Canada. Her father, KANISTANAUX, was also a physician. Her grandfather, NATALAC, was a chief of the Banikeen tribe. About 1872 Madam LEE-O-NETTO returned to western New York and has successfully practiced her profession. She has a home in Machias, but travels over several counties, and makes a specialty of chronic diseases of women.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 798

Surnames: LINGENFELTER, BREWER, WRIGHT, RUPLE

Baltus A. LINGENFELTER was born and raised in the Mohawk valley and married there Rachel BREWER. He was a soldier in the War of 1812 and a farmer. His seven sons and oldest daughter were born in his native valley, and about 1837 he settled on the farm where his son, James LINGENFELTER, now lives. He was over medium height, straight, broad-shouldered and muscular, had blue eyes, a ruddy complexion, and was called a fine looking man. His wife was a member of the Methodist church from the age of fourteen and he was one of its regular supporters. He died in Dec, 1882; Mrs. LINGENFELTER died April 11, 1879. They had thirteen children, of whom twelve attained maturity. Their youngest son, James was born June 29, 1833, and March 29, 1861, married Cordelia WRIGHT. He enlisted in Co. I, 154th N. Y. Vols in 1862, and was discharged May 21, 1864, by reason of physical disability. Since then he has engaged in farming and now owns the homestead. Children: Ida M. (Mrs. G. B. Ruple), Ralph, Florence M., Mabel E., Isma I.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 799

Surnames: LOCKE, PHILLIPS, HOLLISTER

Chester LOCKE, born July 25, 1804 in Wendell, Mass., came to Machias with his father, Moses LOCKE as early as 1824. His mother, Hannah LOCKE, had died in Massachusetts. Chester bought 200 acres of woodland where his daughter Elizabeth (Mrs. Dudley PHILLIPS) now lives. His father was a Revolutionary soldier and died two or three years after their settlement here. Chester LOCKE married Amelia HOLLISTER in 1825. They were members of the Christian church of Machias and Mrs. LOCKE was a member at its organization. He had seven children. He died Oct. 8, 1884 and she March 15, 1882.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Pages 799 & 800

Surnames: NAPIER, MICHAEL, BUTLER, BRODIE, BEEBE

John NAPIER was born at Halifax, Nova Scotia, Sept. 15, 1816. He descends from that noted NAPIER family which has figured conspicuously in Great Britain for several centuries. His father was James NAPIER, born in Huntly, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, and his mother, Rachel (MICHAEL) NAPIER, was born in the adjoining parish, Gartly. They emigrated to Halifax, N.S. in 1816, and after twelve years returned with their family to Scotland. In 1834 John and an elder brother, William, landed in Halifax, removed to Windsor, and a year later went to New York and soon afterward to Quincy, Mass., where John worked three years at the stone-cutter’s trade, becoming a first class journeyman. He worked on the James River canal in Virginia and went to Scotland with his brother in the fall of 1838. The next spring they returned to America, bringing their parents, whom the subsequently cared for. They resumed work on the Erie canal, and in 1840 came to Hinsdale. While there John visited Machias and took the contract to erect the stone house for Samuel BUTLER, in which he now resides. In 1844 he went to Buffalo, but soon removed to New London, Conn., and worked at Mill-Stone Point, six miles from New London. After three months’ service he was promoted foreman over the sixty journeyman stone-cutters and from that time during his business life was engaged as a superintendent or contractor. In 1846 Mr. NAPIER west to Lawrence, Mass., and was employed as foreman over the stone-cutters in building at the great dam across the Merrimac and the immense manufactories there. In 1848, he was employed on the aqueduct across the Genessee river at Portageville. From that time until 1857 he was a contractor of masonry on the Genessee Valley and Erie canals in connection with his brothers William, James, and George. In 1857 and 1858, with these brothers and their brother-in-law, Charles BRODIE, Mr. NAPIER was engaged in building the stone work on the bridge spanning the Mississippi river at St. Paul. From 1860 until 1864 he was superintendent of construciton on the immense locks on the Louisville & Portland canal at Louisville, KY. The next two years he was superintendent of masonry on the Louisville & Nashville railroad. In 1866 he with his brother erected the Ten Broeck Free Academy at Franklinville. In 1867 he obtained the contract to get the stone from the celebrated quarries at Nauvoo, IL for the US government building at Springfield, IL. In 1868 the NAPIER’s erected the county poor house in Machias. In July 1868 Mr. NAPIER became superintendent of the stone work of the State capitol at Springfield, IL, which position he held until Dec. 1876. In 1869 he was superintendent of the Grafton stone quarries on the Mississippi, forty miles above St. Louis, for the building of the St. Louis bridge and water works, and had from 250 to 300 men under his supervision. During this time also he and his brothers built the masonry, trestling, and piling for sixty miles on the Buffalo, New York & Philadelphia railroad from Machias to Emporium. In 1878 they built the Springville & Sardinia narrow gauge railroad. Mr. NAPIER, his brothers, and Charles and Robert BRODIE were at the same time engaged in bridging the Wabash and other streams on the New Albany & Salem and Toledo, Wabash & Western railroads.

Mr. NAPIER possesses indomitable energy and untiring industry. For more than forty years he was actively engaged in superintending the construction of public works and other structures, many of which, among them the Harlem high bridge and the State capitol at Springfield, IL, will remain as permanent monuments of his mechanical skill. A Republican in politics he has never had time to accept political preferment. His ambition has been in the line of stone work and the perfection of his knowledge of constructive art. April 13, 1845 he married Emeline T., daughter of Lyman BEEBE; she was born at Waterford, Conn., Dec. 16, 1827. Mrs. NAPIER died on March 28, 1885. Of their six children these survive: Margaret, born Feb. 1, 1846, married George L. NAPIER, April 13, 1875; Mary Isabella, born Sept. 19, 1848; and James Allen, born March 23. 1862.

Ed. Note: This biography includes a photograph of John NAPIER

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 800

Surnames: NEWTON, HUDSON

Henry NEWTON, son of Ethan A. NEWTON, was born in Jefferson county, Dec. 26, 1819. He married Aug. 14, 1842, Mary HUDSON, who was born in Saratoga county, Sept. 14, 1822. They first settled in Fowler, St. Lawrence county, and came to Machias from Sardinia in 1851. Mr. NEWTON was a farmer until Nov. 1861, when they enlisted in Co. K. 105th N. Y. Vols. The father died of heart disease and the son of a gun-shot wound before he completed his eighteenth year. The mother with her own hands purchased and made a home for herself, four sons, and four daughters, all of whom are living.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 800

Surnames: ORNE, COLBY

Stephen ORNE, a native of Kennebunk, Maine, was born April 27, 1787, married Mary COLBY, Jan. 9, 1817, who was born in Boscowen, N. Y., Oct. 31, 1791, and settled in a log cabin in Machias in 1821. He later removed to Homer and in 1838 they settled in Farmersville, where Mr. ORNE died Jan. 3, 1840. He was a soldier in the War of 1812. Mrs. ORNE died Oct. 6, 1860, at the home of their son, Philander M. ORNE, the only survivor of their four sons. He has been engaged in cabinet work, farming, carpentering, and is now conducting a wagon shop. He was born June 18, 1828.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 800

Surnames: PARKER, FOSTER, WEST

Asa B. PARKER, son of Silas and Abigail (FOSTER) PARKER, was born in Arcade, June 9, 1913, in the log house in which the family settled in 1810. His parents were natives of Cavendish, VT where they were married, and where their first two children were born. He was one of the most prominent men of his town; its first merchant, a justice of the peace about thirty years, supervisor, presided at numerous law suits, and officiated at many weddings. He also did quite a law business in justice’s courts and in drawing legal papers. He reared ten sons and four daughters, all of whom survived him. Asa B. PARKER at the age of twenty, began business for himself. He purchased on credit seventy acres of heavy timbered land one mile east of Arcade. He built a log cabin and Oct. 6, 1833, married Caroline E. WEST who was born in Groton, NY, May 22, 1815. In the spring of 1853, after clearing two farms in Arcade, he settled in the west part of Machias on lot 63, where he now owns a farm of 225 acres, of which he has cleared about 100. They have had seven daughters and three sons. Mr. PARKER early became prominent in the militia and at the age of twenty was promoted from lieutenant to captain. He served as sommissioner of highways and since he came to Machias he has been coroner nine years. Like his father he has practiced law in the lower courts and has been extensively employed in collecting debts. He has also dealt in horses, cattle, and wool.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Pages 800 & 801

Surnames: SMITH, KILLIAN, GEVENEY, BRISSEE

Francis SMITH, a native of Sligo, Ireland, was born in 1819. He read and wrote both the Irish and English languages, and learned both wagon making and dentistry. He came to America in 1847 or 1848, spent two or three years in Canada, and about 1950 settled in Machias, where he died May 4, 1882. Soon after he came to Machias he opened a shop in which he manufactured wagons, carriages, and sleighs, and for many years extracted teeth for the public. In 1858 he married Mary KILLIAN of Syracuse, who still resides on the homestead. Children: Mrs. Anna M. GEVENEY, a teacher who has already taught twenty four terms; Dora S., widow of Francis BRISSEE and also a prominent teacher; and Matthew F.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 801

Surnames: STONEMAN, KNIGHT

George A. STONEMAN, son of Archibald and Angeline (KNIGHT) STONEMAN, was born in Michigan City, Ind., April 13, 1844. His father died when George was two years old, and his mother then removed to the neighborhood of her relatives in Farmersville. About 1950 she settled with her son on the lot in Machias where they still reside. Mr. STONEMAN in Dec., 1861 enlisted in Co. D, 105th NY Vols, and went to the front in April, 1862. He participated in the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and Cold Harbor. He was a prisoner twenty-four hours, and then paroled, and several months later was exchanged. He was discharged as orderly-sergeant March 5, 1865. He was influential in organizing Phillips Post, No. 329, G.A.R., and has served as its commander five years. Since the war he has been a mail contractor and a produce dealer. He is a staunch Republican and has represented his town on the Board of Supervisors nine years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 801

Surnames: TILDEN, McKINSTRY

Daniel S. TILDEN, son of Samuel and Hannah (McKINSTRY) TILDEN, was born in Junius, NY Feb. 12, 1826, and is of New England origin. His paternal grandfather was Joseph TILDEN and his maternal grandfather was Paul McKINSTRY. The latter served in the Revolutionary war and died in 1845, being buried in Yorkshire near McKinstry Hollow, so named in his honor. At the age of eighteen Daniel S. TILDEN began his mercantile life by traveling on foot form house to house and selling goods. A year later he obtained a horse and cart and established a route over which he traveled six years. In 1851 he settled in Machias as a merchant.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 801

Surnames: VAUGHAN, STEBBINS

Daniel VAUGHAN came from Genessee county to Machias in 1821 or 1822 and settled in the nothern part of the town, where he took up a lot of wild land, built a log house, cleared a piece of land and set out an orchard. He had eleven children, of whom two are living: William in Farmersville and Sarah A. (Mrs. Porter STEBBINS) in Machias.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Machias – Chapter XXXV (35)

Page 801

Surnames: WRIGHT, LEWIS

Joseph B. WRIGHT, son of Gad WRIGHT, was born in Oneida county and raised in Gainesville, Wyoming County, where he married Nancy LEWIS. In 1828 he settled on lot 53 in Machas, his abode being a shanty roofed with troughts. Mr. WRIGHT remained on his farm to the close of his life. Children: Danford, Myron, Cleantha, Dennis, Mandana, Lafayette, and Pauline.
 

Back To Cattaraugus County


If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact me at:

Painted Hills

This page is maintained by the PHGS
 Last Update January 25, 2004

© 2002 by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society
Main | Email Us | Look-Ups | Members Family Pages
Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer

Website designed by Frankie Stonemetz
2002© Painted Hills Genealogy Society
All Rights Reserved