TOWN OF LYNDON

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES FROM: "HISTORICAL GAZETTEER AND BIOGRAPHICAL MEMORIAL of CATTARAUGUS COUNTY, NY, ed by WILLIAM ADAMS, Published 1893
 
 

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Page 1147

Surnames: ALLEN, HEIST, MATTHEWS, SCOTT, SWIFT, GROVER, MAXWELL, CARPENTER

John ALLEN is the son of Joseph S. ALLEN, who was born in Ireland in 1792, and who was the son of John ALLEN. Joseph S. came to America as a soldier in the British army during the War of 1812, from which he deserted near the Canada line. He first settled in Washington county, N. Y., and married Nancy HEIST in 1818; children: John; Henry H., born in 1821 was drafted and paid $300, went to Virginia, and died there; Mary H., born in 1823, married George W. MATTHEWS, of Reading, N.Y., who went to Richmond county, Wis., and had children Charles A., George W., John W.; Joseph, born in 1825; Nancy born in 1828, who married Jeptha SCOTT and had children Charles and Myra; Sarah, born in 1831, who married Matthew SWIFT; and Daniel, who married Grace GROVER and had one child, Alice. John ALLEN was born in Reading, N. Y., in the year 1819, and came with his father to Tyrone, N. Y., and thence in 1836 to Lyndon, and settled on the farm now owned by Robert MAXWELL. About 1840 John ALLEN bought the farm of 180 acres now the property of his nephew, John W. MATTHEWS, where he lived till 1893. Mr. ALLEN has never married and with a handsome competence spends his time with his relatives. John W. MATTHEWS came to Lyndon in 1891, married Eugenie CARPENTER, of Waukesha, Wis., in 1892, and settled on the John ALLEN farm. His mother died in 1889.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Page 1147

Surnames: BISSELL, PULLIN

Aaron BISSELL was born in Rutland, Vt., in 1805. He early came to Tyrone N. Y., where he resided three or four years, and where he married Delilah PULLIN. As early as 1830 he removed with his wife to Lyndon and settled on a wood lot of about 100 acres, the farm upon which his son William now resides. He was a good financier and was noted as a breeder of good cattle, horses, and sheep. In early life he was interested in military affairs and rose to the position of captain. He was supervisor several terms and magistrate for many years. He died in Dec., 1878. Mrs. BISSELL died on the homestead Oct. 28, 1883. They had ten children, of whom five are living.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Pages 1147 & 1148

Surnames: BROCKWAY, JONES, STRAIGHT, HOWARD, THRALL, SPENCER

Ezra M. BROCKWAY is the grandson of Ezra BROCKWAY, of Connecticut, who married Lydia JONES in 1817 and came to Lyndon in 1818. He bought 174 acres of land at $2,50 per acre. Children: Ezra, Horace, Laura, Martha, Rufus, Herman, and Leonard. Ezra, born in 1820, married, in 1841, Amy STRAIGHT, who was born in Smithfield, N. Y., in 1818; children: Tacy A., who married Samuel HOWARD, of Franklinville, and Ezra M., who was born in 1848. In 1869 Ezra M. married Ellen THRALL; children: Bertie, who married James SPENCER, of Lyndon; Hermon; Phronie B.; and Bulia E. Ezra BROCKWAY died in 1848. He was a member of the Free Baptist church and prominent in town affairs. Ezra M. is a farmer on the homestead, deals in live stock, has been constable five years, collector two years, and highway commissioner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Page 1148

Surnames: CAMP, TIFFANY, PETTIT, MILLER, ELWOOD, SALISBURY

Chester F. CAMP is the son of Robert CAMP, of Otsego county, N. Y., and the grandson of Benjamin CAMP, who lived to be 103 years old. Robert CAMP married Harriet TIFFANY; children: George (who went into the army and was killed at Pittsburg Landing), Mary, Eliza Ann, Chester F., Welcome, and Harriet. Robert CAMP brought his family to Centerville, N. Y., and about 1835 bought of Amos PETTIT, for $3.50 per acre, the farm Chester F. now owns. The latter married, in 1850, Cordelia A., daughter of John MILLER, of New Hudson. Their eldest child, De Los, is a traveling agent for the Buckeye Mower and Reaper Company. He married Emma ELWOOD; children: Mary, Flora, Maggie, and Cora. Flora, the youngest of their two children, married William SALISBURY, of Buffalo; children: Willie and Sadie. Mr. CAMP spends a portion of his time traveling for a fertilizer company. He is quite a collector of Indian relics, finding a good many on his own and neighboring farms.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Page 1148

Surnames: CASE, MELROSE, McSTAY

Edward N. CASE, son of Thomas and Betsey (MELROSE) CASE, of Franklinville, was born in Lyndon, Dec. 9, 1849. He was reared on the farm and attended Franklinville Academy. In 1875 he married Lizzie E., daughter of William McSTAY. They have one child, Ralph E. Mr. CASE is a large dairy farmer on the homestead of 233 acres, where he was born. He built in 1887 the finest barn in Lyndon and one of the best in Cattaraugus county.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Page 1148

Surnames: CASWELL, ROACH

Decimal W. CASWELL is the son of Anthony CASWELL, the early settler, whose father, Allen, was of German extraction. Their experiences as pioneers frequently furnished material for thrilling stories. When out hunting the nights were often so dark in the woods that they could not find their way home and would camp out. The morning light often disclosed the fact that they were less than a half-mile from home. It was a frequent experience that the straw in their beds had to be fed to the cow or oxen to get through the long cold spring. Decimal W. CASWELL was born in 1847 and has always been a farmer. In 1872 he married Orlinda ROACH; children: Archie T., Medie M., Merl A., Darwin W., Lora, Mary A., and John.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Page 1148

Surnames: CLARK, McDONALD, BURR, MARBLE, GOSS

George P. CLARK is the son of Selah CLARK, of Onondaga county, N. Y., who married Mary McDONALD and was the father of three children: Harriet M., Sophia R., and George P. (who was born in 1823). Selah CLARK came to Lyndon in 1834 and paid $151.25 for the farm of 110 acres which George P. now owns. The latter, in 1853, married Electa BURR; children: Charles, who married Martha MARBLE and died aged thirty, leaving one child, Ellie; Effigene (Mrs. Harlow GOSS); Ruth; Essel; Homer, of Farmersville; Addie; and Courtland. Mr. CLARK's father died in 1878 and his mother in 1883. He has always been a farmer and now keeps a dairy of sixteen cows.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Pages 1148 & 1149

Surnames: CLEMENT, DEAN, FULLER, BROWN, MILLER, ECKENSON, WAITE, WHITNEY

Anson CLEMENT is the son of Sewell and the grandson of Timothy CLEMENT, of Montreal, Canada. Sewell CLEMENT went to Vermont and came thence in 1843 to Pike, N. Y., where he settled and spent the remainder of his life as a farmer. He married Aseneth DEAN, from Connecticut; children: Stillman, who married Adeline FULLER, of Rutland county, Vt., settled in Franklinville, and has nine children; Sewell, of Pike, who married Relief BROWN and has seven children; Louisa (Mrs. Porter MILLER), of Pike, who died in 1887; Almira (Mrs. Thomas ECKENSON), of Pike, who died in 1888; Timothy, who married Mary WAITE, of Lyndon, and died there; Anson; Jesse, who married Mrs. Timothy CLEMENT and lives in Farmersville; and Susan, who married Washington WHITNEY, of Pike, and has three children. Anson CLEMENT was born in 1827 and has always been a farmer. He enlisted in 1861 and entered the Army of the Potomac. He was in the battles of Second Bull Run, Antietam, Gettysburg, Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg, and the Wilderness, and was discharged in 1865. He settled the next year on the farm he now owns.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Page 1149

Surnames: DAVIDSON, PHILLIPS, WHITERIGHT

George H. DAVIDSON is the son of George and Gene DAVIDSON, who were born in Scotland, came to America in 1842, and settled on the farm now the home of their son. Of their six children Jessie, John, and Alexander were born in Scotland and George H., Mary A., and Margaret J. in Lyndon. George H., born in 1843, became a soldier in 1862 and was taken prisoner at Gettysburg. Of his army experiences he says: "I was taken to Belle Isle prison, where 9,000 men were confined on four acres of ground. We got so poor as we drew nearer and nearer to death by starvation and exposure that we had to dig a little trench in the ground when we lay down at night for our hip bones to rest in. It was winter and we lay close together, spoon fashion, to keep warm. One night Loren PHILLIPS sang out ‘right-face’, which was an order to turn over, for when one turned all the rest of that squad had to turn also. One of us asked what was the matter. ‘I can't stand these lice any longer; I am willing they should have a square meal, but when they get full and bite off chunks and throw them at each other it's beyond endurance,' was the reply. His humor was hardly an exaggeration. Many a time we walked most of the night to keep from freezing. I actually lost 100 pounds of flesh -- from 190 to ninety -- and then went one day and lay down with the sick ones and smuggled myself into the hospital, whence I had the good luck to be exchanged. I was the only one out of fifty in one ward of the hospital who lived." After recuperating Mr. DAVIDSON returned to Chattanooga and was at the battle of Nashville. Since the war he has been a farmer, except a year in a foundry in Cuba and keeping a store at Rawson from 1886 to 1893. In 1870 he married Mary A. WHITERIGHT; children: John A., Genie, and Jessie. Mr. DAVIDSON was elected assessor in 1889 and is now president of the Rawson Farmers' Alliance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Page 1149

Surnames: DAY, SMART, WILLIAMS, WESTBROOK, PERSONS, SMITH, LANE

Thomas DAY, son of Robert, of Lincolnshire, England, was born in Minting, Eng. May 12, 1805. At the age of twenty-three he came to this country and settled in Pittsford, Monroe county, where he remained about seven years. In 1835 he came to Lyndon. In 1834 he married Dorothy SMART, of Dean, England. Children: Justina E.; Brice, who died in the army; Mary Jane (Mrs. Allan WILLIAMS), of Ischua; Lucy Ann (Mrs. Ira WESTBROOK), of Missouri; Elisha, of Michigan; Thomas Benjamin, of Port Allegany Pa; Carolina C. (Mrs. Charles Wesley PERSONS), of Jamestown, N. Y.; Julia A. (Mrs. Alfred SMITH), who died in 1879; and Eupheme (Mrs. Gustavus LANE) of Centerville, Allegany county. Mr. DAY died in March, 1893.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Pages 1149 & 1150

Surnames: FRARY, HIGBEE, NOLAN

Arden M. FRARY is the grandson of John FRARY who came with his family from Madison county, N. Y., in 1817, bringing all their goods on an ox-cart, and settled on 145 acres of land, on which his son Joshua was born in 1820, and which is now the property of Arden M. Joshua FRARY married, in 1846, Mary A., daughter of David HIGBEE, of Onondaga county, N. Y.; children: Lovina J., who died young, and Arden M., who was born in 1847. He attended the common schools and Rushford Academy, and finally became an expert in cheese making. He made cheese in Rawson in 1873-74, at Elgin four years, and was running a factory in Allegany in 1879, when cheese ran down to five cents a pound. Besides farming, to which he returned in 1881, he still gives his attention to marketing cheese. A Republican in politics he served as supervisor in 1881, 1882, 1883, and 1886. He married, in 1876, Bridget NOLAN; children: Irvin M., Mary, Hattie, and Ruth (who died when five years old). Joshua FRARY was active and prominent in military affairs and was captain and lieutenant-colonel. He died in 1849.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Page 1150

Surnames: GILLMAN, GILLIMAN, RANDOLPH, MORRIS, ELMER

John GILLMAN and Isabella RANDOLPH, his wife, emigrated from New Jersey to Cambridge, N. Y., where their son Charles was born Feb, 9, 1803. The family removed thence to Otisco, Onondaga county, in 1811, and May 1, 1824, started for Cattaraugus county. They arrived at Angelica a few days after Howe was executed, and after crossing the Genesee river they came to Rawson settlement and thence to the center of what is now Lyndon. A few days before Elias Hopkins and Charles Howell had arrived and claimed to be agents for the Holland Land Company. Charles GILLMAN and Henry MORRIS examined every lot in town. MORRIS selected a lot in the east part, purchased 300 acres, and GILLMAN took 200 acres adjoining him on the west, the latter paying $150 towards the deed the two agents were to procure. But this agreement Hopkins and Howell never fulfilled. About a year after the family's arrival Mrs. GILLIMAN died and her husband followed her in Feb., 1835, at Otisco, N. Y. In 1832 Charles GILLMAN began a mercantile business in Rushford, Allegany county, and Oct. 11, 1832, he married Julia ELMER, of Hume, N. Y. He removed to Rochester in 1864, to Washington, D. C., in 1869, to New York in 1876, and to Olean in 1887 where he still resides.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Page 1150

Surnames: GOSS, WOOD, NICHOLS, REESE, McCALL, CLARK, CURRIE, GOULD

Daniel GOSS is the son of Henry GOSS, who was born in Lincolnshire, England, in 1796, who married Mary WOOD, and who came to America in 1832, settling in Lyndon on the farm now owned by his son Daniel which cost him $250 for 100 acres. Children: John, Charles, Joseph, George, David, and Daniel. The latter was born at Little Linford, England, in 1827. Daniel learned the carpenter's trade. In 1849 he married Savannah NICHOLS; children: James, a miller in Franklinville, who married Sarah REESE, and has one child, Nellie; Elizabeth (Mrs. Alexander McCALL), of Franklinville; Harlow, who married Effie CLARK and has children Earl, Bessie, Ruth, and Ethel; Mary (Mrs. William CURRIE), whose children are Afton, Alexander, Frank D., Gerrald, and Mary; and Haydon, who married Jennie GOULD and lives in Franklinville. Mr. and Mrs. GOSS at the time of their marriage settled on the homestead, which now contains 185 acres. Since 1860 he has done considerable blacksmithing and wagon repairing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Pages 1150 & 1151

Surnames: HOAG, WOOD, LOCKWOOD, INGALLS, HEDDING

Elijah HOAG is the grandson of Elijah HOAG, of Vermont, who came to Lansing, N. Y., where his son Elisha was born in 1807. Elisha married Anna WOOD, of Enfield, N. Y., in 1831. The same year he came to Lyndon and settled on the farm now owned by Charles LOCKWOOD, where he lived sixty-one years and died in 1892. Children: Elijah, Phebe A., Samuel W., Israel (who married Amelia INGALLS, of Cuba, settled in Ischua in 1865, and has children Alice M. and Lizzie), and John O. Elisha HOAG held the offices of assessor and highway commissioner several terms each. His son Elijah was born in Lydon in 1831 and has always been a farmer. In 1855 he married Sarah E., daughter of David HEDDING, of Ischua, who was born in Germany. After four years' residence in Wisconsin they returned and bought their present farm on the county line, paying $20 per acre for it. They have one child, Orson A., who was born in Wisconsin in 1856. He has taught school several terms and in 1890 served as poormaster.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Page 1151

Surnames: LITTLE, STEDMAN, McCONNOCHIE, FOX, WALDO

William LITTLE is a son of Richard and a grandson of William LITTLE, of Castle Douglas, Scotland, who was a contractor and engineer, and who went to England, where he married Elizabeth STEDMAN. Children: William, Richard, Jane, James G., Mary, Elizabeth, and Isabel. Richard was born in Whitby, England, in 1795, and removed to Castle Douglas, Scotland, where he became a house joiner. He married Agnes McCONNOCHIE; children: Isabel, Elizabeth, William, John, Richard, and James. The latter died at sea during the passage of the family to America in 1833. Richard LITTLE brought his family to Lyndon in August of that year and settled on the farm his son John now owns. His brother William had come to Philadelphia about 1820 and to Lyndon some ten years later. William had also learned his father's trade and became a contractor and builder, and the two soon became widely known, doing work singly or together in Buffalo, Rochester, Olean, Rushford, Cuba, Arcade, Franklinville, and many other places. Richard LITTLE died in 1858. His son has been an active builder until within a few years. William LITTLE married, in 1869, Mrs. Eunice L. FOX, daughter of Horatio N. WALDO, of Arcade, N. Y. Children: Agnes (who died when one year old), Richard W., Rachel E., Agnes E., and James R. Richard LITTLE was supervisor of Lyndon from 1867 to 1871 inclusive. William LITTLE was originally a Republican, but is now a staunch Farmers' Alliance supporter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Page 1151

Surnames: MAXWELL, TAIT, SCOTT, JOHNSON, MITCHELL

James J. MAXWELL, son of James, was born in 1852. James married Jane TAIT, of Kirkpatrick, Dunham, Scotland, in 1841; children: John and James J. The latter married, in 1881, Mary M. SCOTT and has children Alfred, Frank S., and Ella Jane. Mr. MAXWELL was supervisor of Lyndon in 1884 and 1885, assessor one term, and census enumerator in 1890.

William MAXWELL, son of John, was born near Dumfries, Scotland, May 13, 1814. When nineteen he came to America, settling in Lyndon about 1835. Dec. 29, 1846, he married Margaret JOHNSON, of Franklinville, and had two sons: Robert, a farmer in Lyndon, and John William, a civil engineer and president and general manager of the Lima Steel Company, of Lima, Ohio. Mr. MAXWELL was commissioner of highways three terms. His son Robert has been supervisor. Robert MAXWELL married, in 1872, Isabella A. MITCHELL. Children: Margaret, John, and Anna G.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Page 1151

Surnames: McLENNAN, FRAZER, JOHNSON

Colin McLENNAN, son of Roderick, of Scotland, was born June 11, 1811. Coming to America in 1835 he lived in various places in New England and New Jersey and about 1837 came to Lyndon, where he purchased the farm he still occupies. June 15, 1849, he married Ann FRAZER, of Scotland; children: Anna (Mrs. William JOHNSON); Hon. Peter B., of Syracuse, N. Y., justice of the Supreme Court; Christina; John, a lawyer of Syracuse, N. Y.; Roderick C., a physician in Syracuse; and Donald T., a lawyer in Syracuse. This is one of the most prominent families the town ever claimed as citizens.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Pages 1151 & 1152

Surnames: McSTAY, McCREEDY, CASE, WILDRICK, MAYBEE, SCOTT, CARPENTER

William McSTAY son of John McSTAY, was born in Ireland in 1826. In 1847 he came alone to Wheatland, Monroe county, N. Y., and in 1851 married Mary McCREEDY. He came in 1854 to Lyndon. Children: Lizzie (Mrs. Edward CASE), who has one child, Ralph; Mary (Mrs. Eben WILDRICK), whose children are Ethel and Georgie; Emma (Mrs. John MAYBEE whose children are Ray and Paul; John, of Tioga, Pa.; James, of Franklinville; and Jennie. Mr. McSTAY married, second, in 1881, Mrs. Samuel SCOTT, daughter of Fred CARPENTER, of Ischua. In 1865 he was drafted and went to the front in Co. D, 96th N. Y. Vols., serving on the James river and in Tennessee.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Page 1152

Surnames: METCALF, VAN STEINBERG, PORTER, HALL, McGEORGE, WOOD

Gilbert METCALF is the son of Nelson, the grandson of Levi, and the great-grandson of Nathan METCALF, who moved from Vermont to Salisbury, N. Y. where his son Levi was born in 1792. Levi married Diana VAN STEINBERG, by whom he had one child, Nelson, born in 1814. Nelson METCALF came to Lyndon in 1836 and married in 1837, Sophronia PORTER; children: Nelson, born in 1843, married Orsevilla HALL, and has children Sophronia, Anna, Fred, and George; Gilbert; and Frank, who, in 1870, married Maggie McGEORGE, lives in Erie county, and has five children. Gilbert METCALF was born in 1848 and was reared a farmer. In 1868 he married Maria, daughter of Gilbert WOOD, of Lyndon; children: Viola, Phebe, and Luella. Besides managing his farm he has given considerable attention to the oil business. He owns six wells in Little Genesee and leases new territory. He is also an agent for wind-mills.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Page 1152

Surnames: NEWMAN, WINCHEL, JENKS, BOZWORTH, MUNGER, FORD, WARNER, BAKER

Mansel NEWMAN, son of Thomas NEWMAN, an old resident of Vermont, was born in Henrietta, Monroe county, N. Y., March 19, 1816. He came to Cuba, Allegany county, in 1824, where he remained about thirty years. He married Fanny WINCHEL, of Lyndon, who died about 1838; children: Alzina and Mary Ann, both deceased. About 1840 he married Dealy JENKS, also of Lyndon, who died in 1872; children: Sarah Jane, widow of Emory BOZWORTH, of Allegany county; James Otis, of Cuba; Mary L., who died in 1889; Thomas M., of Randolph; William L.; and George W. In 1856 he married, third, Adeline MUNGER, who lived in Cuba, and who died in 1872; children: Newell, Eunice J. (Mrs. De Lancy FORD), Emma A. (Mrs. Alonzo WARNER), and Nancy, who died in 1878. March 5, 1876, he married Anna BAKER, of Allegany county, who died in 1892. Mr. NEWMAN died in 1891.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Page 1152

Surnames: PERRY, KNICKERBOCKER, SALISBURY, DUNN

Josiah Q. PERRY, son of Ebenezer, was born in Canandaigua, N. Y., Nov. 12, 1812. In 1840 he married Emily M. KNICKERBOCKER, of Rushford, N. Y.; children: Egbert F., of Lyndon, and Addice E., of Belfast, N. Y. In 1845 Mr. PERRY brought his family hither and bought his present farm of 200 acres of Lorentis SALISBURY, of Franklinville, for $6 per acre. It had been held for a higher price by men in New York city, who expected the Erie railway would pass through Rawson. Mr. PERRY was one of the builders of the first cheese factory in Cuba in 1865 and made cheese there two or three years. This was the second in this section, the Rushford factory being the first. He was first elected supervisor of Lyndon in 1854 and, served five consecutive years, and again in 1872, and was several terms assessor and justice of the peace. His son, Egbert F. PERRY, born in 1844, remains on the farm with his father. He married, in 1875, Jennie B. DUNN, of Lyndon; children: Lelia B., Lottie M., Bessie G., Hortense, Leslie, and Josephine. Mr. PERRY has been collector and assessor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Page 1152

Surnames: PRATT, CAMP, THOMPSON

Jeremiah PRATT, Jr., son of Jeremiah, was born in Burlington, N. Y., and came with his family to Lyndon in 1843, settling on the farm where Chester CAMP now resides. He died in 1853. Children: William H., T. C., E. O., E. F., Harriet A. (Mrs. R. L. THOMPSON), and Albert A. Edward F. was killed Sept. 4, 1864, near Berryville, Va.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Pages 1152 & 1153

Surnames: ROAT, LUCE, SNYDER

Chancy W. ROAT is a son of Hiram W. ROAT who was born in Orange county, N. Y., and came to Lyndon in 1865, paying $2,000 for the 85 acre farm which Chancy W. now occupies. Hiram W. married Fannie LUCE, of Tompkins county; children: Theodore, Sarah A., Emily, Chancy W., Orlando, Orlinda, and Leetta. Chancy W. was born in 1853 in Ithaca, N. Y., and married, in 1872, Adeline SNYDER, of Lyndon. Children: Ella and Nora. Mr. ROAT has always been a farmer, residing on the homestead since 1882. He has been constable and collector in Lyndon, and is a trustee in the Abbott cheese factory. His mother died in 1892.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Page 1153

Surnames: SCOTT, McKENZIE, MORTON, NELSON, STINSON, SNYDER, MAXWELL, HOOD, HENDERSON

James SCOTT is a son of John and Mary (McKENZIE) SCOTT, of Dumfries, Scotland. Of their six children--Agnes, John, Robert, James, Margaret, and William T. -- all but John and Robert came to Lyndon. Agnes came about 1844; her husband, William MORTON, had come a year or two earlier. James came in 1847 and bought, in 1848, 100 acres of his present 200-acre farm at $6 an acre. He learned the ship carpenter's trade in England and has been a house carpenter here in addition to farming. He married Mary NELSON in 1852; children: Jennet (Mrs. Robert STINSON), of Ohio; John, who died aged twenty-three; Robert, who married Elizabeth SNYDER and has children Ruth and Mabel; Mary (Mrs. James MAXWELL), who has children Alfred, Frank, and Ella J.; and Nelson, of Wyoming, who married Lydia HOOD. In 1870 Mr. SCOTT married, second, Mary HENDERSON; children: William H., George B., and Richard L. The springs which supply the water for the village of Franklinville are on Mr. SCOTT's farm; the works were built in 1891. Mr. SCOTT has served as highway commissioner, seven years as town clerk, and is now an excise commissioner. In 1864 he enlisted and served under Admiral Porter on the Mississippi and Tennessee rivers. He belongs to Alanson Crosby Post, G. A. R., and since 1882 has been an elder in the United Presbyterian church in Lyndon. His father, John SCOTT, who came here in 1854, died in 1869.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Page 1153

Surnames: SPOFFORD, McKINNEY, McVEIGH, MORRIS, NORTHRUP, GILLMAN, GORDON, De La MARTYR

John W. SPOFFORD is a son of Thomas and a grandson of John B. SPOFFORD, of Brocket's Bridge, N. Y. Thomas married Julia McKINNEY, from Connecticut; children: James P., who married Susan McVEIGH, of Franklinville and now lives in Jersey City; and John W., born in 1837. Thomas SPOFFORD died in 1839, and his widow and her two sons came to Rushford, N. Y., the same year. In 1843 she married Henry MORRIS, of Lyndon, who had settled in 1824 on the farm now her home and the home of her son John W. Henry MORRIS, from Connecticut, married, first, Sarah NORTHRUP and second Isabella GILLMAN, by whom he had two children: Orra (Mrs. Cyrus GORDON), of Rushford, N. Y., and Lucy (Mrs. Walter De La MARTYR), deceased. Mr. MORRIS was elected in 1829 the first supervisor of Lyndon, and again in 1837, 1838, 1840, 1841, 1853, and in 1859. Near a spring on his farm the Indians had a favorite camping ground, where they gathered as late as 1835.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)

Page 1153

Surnames: STONE, PIERCE, WORTHINGTON, SMITH, NEWCOMB, DYE

Dewitt C. STONE is a son of Edmund STONE, of Madison county, N. Y., who was born in 1800 and came to Farmersville in 1821. His wife was Sally PIERCE; children: Jennett, Jonathan O., Maranda O., Dewitt C., Sarah A., and William F. Mrs. STONE died and he married, second, Rebecca WORTHINGTON; children: Priscilla, James M., Lucy, Mary, and Edmund. James M. enlisted in the army and received a bullet wound in his leg at Winchester. Edmund enlisted in the 64th Regt. and was killed at Gettysburg. Dewitt C. was born in 1830. He became a carpenter and builder, at which trade he has worked most of the time for the past thirty years. In 1853 he married Harriet R., daughter of John B. SMITH, of Herkimer county; children: Frank, who married Nancy NEWCOMB and has one child, Floyd; and Fred L., who married Cora DYE and has one child, Clayton. Edmund STONE was justice of the peace several years and in 1852 was elected supervisor of Lyndon. Dewitt C. STONE has been highway commissioner, assessor, and justice of the peace.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)
Page 1154

Surnames: THOMPSON, DEYO, FARGO, McKAIGUE, FRARY

James R. THOMPSON is a son of John and grandson of Robert THOMPSON, of Genesee county, N. Y. John married Sarah DEYO; children: James R., Nathan, Caroline, Rebecca E., Marlin D., John S., Andrew J., Sarah M., Catharine, and George W. James R. was born in 1817, came to Lyndon in 1839, and married Sally A. FARGO in 1842; children: Addison S.; John E., born in 1845, enlisted in the Civil war, and died in service; David, of Rushford; and Frank E., who died aged three years. Addison S. was born in 1843, enlisted in the army in 1861, re-enlisted in the field in Co. E., 5th N. Y. Cav., and had three horses shot from under him. He married Eunice McKAIGUE; children: Robert E., John, and Mary. He is an expert cheese maker. Always a Republican he served his Assembly district in the Legislatures of 1890 and 1891. Mrs. Sally (FARGO) THOMPSON died in 1853, and he married, second, Mrs. Sarah A. FRARY in 1856; children: Estella, Frank, Charles, Adelia, and Dennella. James R. THOMPSON was supervisor of Lyndon in 1862 and 1863.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Lyndon – Chapter L (50)
Page 1154

Surnames: THOMPSON, STEVENSON, MOREHOUSE

Milton F. THOMPSON, son of Hiram, was born April 29, 1844, in Utica N. Y. Aug. 5, 1862, he enlisted in Co. K, 117th N. Y. Vols., and was with the regiment till his discharge June 8, 1865. Jan. 6, 1866, he came to Franklinville. In 1867 he married Emma M., daughter of John and Eliza A. (MOREHOUSE) STEVENSON. In 1868 he moved to Farmersville, where he resided till 1869, when he removed to Sardinia, N. Y., where he resided eight years. He came to Lyndon in 1877.
 

Back To Cattaraugus County


If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact me at:

Painted Hills

This page is maintained by the PHGS
 Last Update January 25, 2004

© 2002 by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society
Main | Email Us | Look-Ups | Members Family Pages
Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer

Website designed by Frankie Stonemetz
2002© Painted Hills Genealogy Society
All Rights Reserved