TOWN OF LITTLE VALLEY

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES FROM: "HISTORICAL GAZETTEER AND BIOGRAPHICAL MEMORIAL of CATTARAUGUS COUNTY, NY, ed by WILLIAM ADAMS, Published 1893
 
 

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 770

Surnames: AYRES, PARKER, HOPKINS, SHEPARD, NEVINS, GOWING, PORTER, LAWRENCE

Alfred AYRES, born in Johnstown, N. Y., March 23, 1794, married Betsey P. PARKER, at Bloomfield N. Y., who was born there March 1, 1805. Settling first in Bloomfield they moved in 1826 to Little Valley, where he bought of Noel HOPKINS a small piece of land on which the latter had cut the first trees and built a log cabin. AYRES then gave HOPKINS employment. Mr. AYRES was a peddler of tinware and yankee notions, which he followed till about 1837. He bought furs of the Indians and also dealt in groceries several years. Eventually he sold his grocery to C. S. SHEPARD, who conducted a larger mercantile business. About 1837 he built the first saw-mill in the town north of Little Valley Center and afterward gave his attention mainly to his farm of 250 acres. Mrs. AYRES died Jan. 25, 1851. In 1853 he married Elizabeth NEVINS, of Litchfield, Ohio, and in 1858 or 1859 he sold his homestead and removed to South Amherst, Ohio, where he resided nearly four years, when he returned to Little Valley to live with his youngest daughter, Eliza Jane (Mrs. Leonard GOWING), where he died of paralysis in Nov., 1884. His son, William P. AYRES, was born on the homestead Aug. 14, 1827. In 1842 or 1843 he began to carry the mail on his father's contract from Little Valley to Lodi (now Gowanda), making the trip on horseback weekly for four years; the next two years his route was semi-weekly by way of Lodi to Ellicottville. On one occasion he was attacked by a huge panther, but his horse succeeded in escaping the beast. The next day he joined some hunters and shot him. Remaining with his father until they sold the homestead he soon afterward married Julia PORTER, of Little Valley, and settled on the farm which he recently sold. Mrs. AYRES died Dec. 23, 1882. July 25, 1884, he married Elmina P. LAWRENCE. They have one son. He died Aug 7, 1893.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 770

Surnames: BRYANT, STAUNTON, CHASE, MANLEY, VAN ELTING, SMITH, COIT

Nathaniel BRYANT was born in Norwich, Mass.. Oct. 6, 1794, and had a good common school education. In 1817 he and his brother, Freeman BRYANT, emigrated to the Holland purchase with one horse, and in Ellicottville they attempted to make a settlement about a mile south of the village, but were informed that the place was not in market. They then went to Toledo, Ohio, where fever and ague raged severely. Returning to Ellicottville Nathaniel was employed by the Holland Land Company in 1818 at $1 per day, and cut the timber from nearly the entire length of Washington street. The stumps were cut level with the ground and the street was four rods wide. In the spring of 1819 the brothers each located a farm on Bryant hill, which was named in their honor. Freeman married Fannie STAUNTON, and two or three years later settled in Great Valley, dying on a farm in Sugartown on June 1, 1826. Nathaniel married Sally, daughter of David CHASE, Sr. He cut his hay and threshed his grain by hand, and aided in supporting the Baptist church, of which he and his wife were members. In 1841 he sold this farm and purchased the homestead of his wife's deceased father, where both died -- Mrs. BRYANT on April 10, 1875, and he on May 12, 1883. Children: Edward S., Alvin C. (one of the first conductors on the Lake Shore railroad, and who died Dec. 7, 1857), Lucy E. (Mrs. William MANLEY), Marium (who married C. VAN ELTING and died in 1880, leaving two sons), Stillman N. (married Wealthy CHASE and died May 14, 1888), Harlow D., and Loverna W. (Mrs. James SMITH). Harlow D. BRYANT has been commissioner of highways, and on June 18, 1884, married Emma, daughter of Lewis COIT; children: a daughter and a son. (See also BRYANT sketch in Ellicottville.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 771

Surnames: BURRELL, CHAMPLIN

David BURRELL, son of Adonijah, was born in Otsego county in 1822 and came to New Albion with his parents about 1828. Before he was twenty-one he commenced dealing in live stock, which he shipped to Philadelphia and New York. About 1854 or 1855 he conducted the Howe House in Little Valley (the site of Rock City Hotel). His wife's health failed and he returned to New Albion and resumed his live stock business, which he continued till his death in March, 1876. He served his town several years as assessor. He married Mary Ann, daughter of William M. CHAMPLIN, a pioneer of Napoli. She died soon after they left the hotel, leaving two sons: William M. and another who died at the age of twelve years. William M. was born on the homestead and alternately had a home with his grandparents BURRELL and CHAMPLIN. He started in life a farmer. In the spring of 1885 he purchased his present property, fitted it for a hotel, and named it the BURRELL House.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 771

Surnames: CHAMPLIN, CHAMPLAIN

John B. F. CHAMPLIN was born at Napoli on July 17, 1841. His paternal ancestors were of Huguenot French origin, came to America in 1695, and settled in Lebanon, Conn, The original name was CHAMPLAIN, and Joseph CHAMPLAIN, who in 1808 discovered the lake that bears his name, was a remote kinsman. His father, John B. CHAMPLIN, married Hannah, daughter of Smith COTTRELL, of South Kingston. John B. F. resided at the parental home until the death of his mother, which occurred when he was fifteen years old. At the age of thirteen he was a successful partner with his father and an older brother dealing in cattle and sheep. At the age of sixteen he was the halfowner of a fishing vessel and engaged in cod-fishing. At the end of the season he disposed of his interest in this enterprise, returned to his native town, and resumed the trade in live stock. He passed several winters in lumber camps driving oxen, and after sixteen and a half years selling goods for one company as its traveling salesman he embarked in the manufacture and sale of cutlery. He organized the Cattaraugus Cutlery Company, of which he is president. He is sagacious and enterprising in business, and has decided talents for mechanics and civil engineering. In 1882 his son Tint became his partner in business. In 1879 he began and in 1880 completed his elegant brick opera house. This he reserved for the free use of all religious societies.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 771

Surnames: CHAPMAN, BLACKMAN, ALLISON

James CHAPMAN, born in Perth, Scotland, Nov. 16, 1829, was educated in the English schools and learned the trade of blacksmith. In July, 1853, be came to America in a sailing vessel and as a journeyman he spent a year at his trade in Peekskill, N. Y. Thence he went to Walton, Delaware county, where he was engaged until the ensuing spring, when he came to Little Valley, where he arrived March 16, 1855. June 5th he bought out his employer, John BLACKMAN, and conducted a blacksmithing business until 1877. In 1870 he purchased thirty acres on Rock City street and in 1878 became a farmer. In 1887 he cut his farm into village lots, which sold rapidly. He has been a member of the Congregational church since the summer of 1856, and has been its deacon since 1869. April 2, 1856, he married Rachel ALLISON, who was born in Scotland, Nov. 12, 1819, which country they visited in 1867.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Pages 771 & 772

Surnames: CHARLESWORTH, HIGBEE, BECKWITH

Joseph CHARLESWORTH, son of Nathan, was born near Manchester, England, Feb. 17, 1840. His father was a cotton spinner by trade, and was foreman in one of the large cotton factories in that city. In 1841 he came to America with his oldest two sons and about a year afterward sent for his wife and four remaining children. He worked at his trade in Lodi (now Gowanda) and in Buffalo three or four years, and settled in Otto. He purchased a farm on which he died in 1854. Joseph in 1861 enlisted in Co. C, 64th N. Y. Vols, and participated in all the battles in which his regiment engaged. At the battle of Gettysburg he received a shell-wound on the right side of his head, which fractured his skull, and was confined in the hospital at Philadelphia nearly six months, where he was an officer of the guard. He was appointed sergeant and was discharged with the rank of orderly-sergeant. He was early entrusted with the carrying of dispatches and reconnoitering. He was discharged Jan. 9, 1864, from Convalescent Camp, Va., upon a surgeon's certificate of disability. Mr. CHARLESWORTH has held several town offices. Jan. 20, 1864, he married Roxanna HIGBEE, of New Albion; children: Fred, Jennie B. (Mrs. Homer BECKWITH), John, and Willie M.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 772

Surnames: CHASE, GAY, BRYANT, FOSTER, STRATTON, FURMAN, PHILLIPS, WHEATON KELSEY, CLARK, DAY, MARKHAM, DAVIS

David CHASE was born in Petersham, Mass., Oct. 25, 1769. Lucy GAY, his wife, was born in Dedham, Mass., Sept. 14, 1771. They were married in Massachusetts, where all their children were born. In 1819 or 1820 they came to Little Valley Center with a heavy wagon covered with sole-leather and drawn by two yoke of oxen; they also had one horse. They settled on 125 acres of woodland --the farm on which his grandson, Harlow D. BRYANT, now resides. He erected a log house and barn, cleared the farm, erected a second set of farm buildings, and died on the place July 20, 1841. Mrs. CHASE died Oct. 241 1850. Mr. CHASE was highly esteemed and widely known. Children: Parney, who married, first, Jonathan FOSTER, the father of her son Chester and daughter Lucy (Mrs. Leander STRATTON), and, second, Asa FURMAN, the father of six children, and died March 10 1854; Alvin, who married Polly PHILLIPS, settled on a farm adjoining his father's a year or two before his father came, raised nine children, and died July 27, 1873; Lefa, who married Gains WHEATON and died Sept. 17, 1826; Sally, who married Nathaniel BRYANT and died April 10, 1875; Dr. Stillman, a practicing physician, settled first in Little Valley Center, married Alzina KELSEY, owned a good farm, removed to Rochester, Minn., where he died Sept 5, 1860, and has two sons living, Kelsey and Albert; David, Jr., who married Mary Ann CLARK, settled in Rochester, Minn., had four children, was a dealer, built a large tenement block, and died Aug. 18, 1875 ; and Cyrena, who married, first, Eli DAY, the father of her daughter Harriet (Mrs. John MARKHAM), and, second, Hiram DAVIS, who has bought and sold several farms, and whose son is a physician.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Pages 772 & 773

Surnames: CHASE, WHEELOCK, SMEAD, COX, BUCKLIN

Henry CHASE, son of Henry, a native of Massachusetts, was born about 1767 and removed with his family to Townshend, Vt. Henry, Jr., married, in Townshend, Irena WHEELOCK in 1788; children: Abner, Luther, Hiram, Melinda, Wheelock, and Converse. Between I815 and 1820 Henry CHASE and his wife and their two sons, Wheelock and Converse, removed to Little Valley. Their daughter Melinda, who had married Simeon SMEAD in Vermont, settled in Little Valley at the same time. Mr. SMEAD became prominent in the new town, was elected supervisor of Little Valley in 1823, and was reelected from time to time in all nine terms. Mr. CHASE was a close observer of all the weather signs, and always planted his crops in what he thought the right phase of the moon. He was an original member of the Freewill Baptist church. Their son, Abner CHASE, was born in Townshend, Vt., in 1789, married Mary COX, of Pawlet, Vt., and settled in Saratoga county, where he manufactured woolen cloth. In 1825 he settled in Little Valley. Besides keeping his hotel he was a farmer, an extensive lumberman, held several town offices, and was appointed by the State to superintend the building of a highway through the Indian reservation along the Allegheny river. He had served as a soldier in the War of 1812 and was a major in the State militia. He was supervisor of Little Valley in 1837. In 1852 he sold the homestead and removed to Ohio. A few years later he returned to Little Valley and had a home with his daughter, Mrs. Daniel BUCKLIN, until his death in the fall of 1863. His wife died in 1863.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 773

Surnames: CHASE, LYON, BARTON, HOTCHKISS, BARR

Wheelock CHASE, fourth son of Henry, was born Aug. 2, 1800. He married Teresa LYON in March, 1824, who was born in Wilbraham, Mass., June 10, 1800. In the spring of 1825 they settled in the woods on Bucktooth.run, where alone he built the first house. Mrs. CHASE sewed for lumbermen to buy the few pounds of nails and panes of glass used in its construction. They sold their improvements a year or two later and removed to their old neighborhood. In 1831 they made a permanent settlement half a mile south of the homestead, where he died in 1845. Prior to 1831 he cleared a field near the creek and his wife assisted in carrying 100 bushels of ashes from the burnt timber to the bank of the stream to be made into black-salts. A sudden heavy rain caused the creek to overflow during the night and in the morning they found their ashes swept away by the flood. Children: Malenda, Irene, Randilla, Harriet, Abner W., and Estelle. Malenda married J. L. BARTOO, of Mansfield, at the age of thirty-two and died childless four years later. She had taught thirty-two terms of school. Harriet married George W. HOTCHKISS, of South Valley, in 1868, and died in 1875, leaving two sons. Abner W. enlisted in the Rebellion in 1861 and died in Alexandria, April 21, 1862. Estelle, married N. L. BARR, of Brocton, in Nov., 1865, and died in Kansas, Oct. 10, 1879, leaving one child. Mrs. CHASE (the mother) died May 26, 1880, in Little Valley village, where she had lived several years, and where her daughters, Irene and Randilla, the only survivors of the family, reside.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 773

Surnames: CHASE, WHEELER, HALL, NASH, ROWLETT, BRYANT, WILLSIS, EVANS

Converse H., CHASE, youngest child of the pioneer Henry, was born in Townshend, Vt., Feb. 17, 1811. He came to Little Valley Center with his parents and married Nancy WHEELER, Dec. 21, 1837, who was a native of Massachusetts and a daughter of John WHEELER, who settled on the farm now owned by Mrs. Sarah M. HALL. They sold their farm and lived with their daughter, Mrs. Converse H. CHASE. Mr. CHASE died on Nov. 9, 1851. He served as town clerk and assessor. Children: Byron D., born Nov. 5, 1838, who with his brother Albert B. owns the homestead of 120 acres and the Clement farm of sixty acres, and who married Mrs. Mary A. (NASH) ROWLETT, March 15, 1885; Wealthy A., born May 7, 1848, who married Stillman BRYANT, Jan. 8, 1861, a farmer, and died June 15, 1879; Hiram H., born Nov. 27, 1841, enlisted in Co. B, 9th N. Y. Cav., in 1861, and died at Clupper Court House, Va., Aug. 8, 1862; Albert B., born Nov. 27, 1844, married Mary E. WILLSIS; and Mortimer D., born May 30, 1846, married Mary E. EVANS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 773

Surnames: CHASE, WHEELOCK, SMEAD

Enoch CHASE came to Little Valley from Vermont about the time that his, cousins David and Henry settled here. He died as early or before 1825. He married, his cousin, Abigail (CHASE) WHEELOCK, a sister of Henry CHASE. In 1837, with four of her sons and their families, she removed to Burlington, Iowa. Simeon SMEAD, whose wife, Melinda CHASE, had recently died, and his brother Daniel, all Vermonters, went with them. Johnson CHASE, the son who remained, died a few years ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Pages 773 & 774

Surnames: CROSBY, HOLMES, PUDDY, WHEATON, CHASE

Stephen CROSBY was born in 1788 in Dutchess county, N. Y. At Cazenovia, in 1810, he married Hannah HOLMES, who was born in 1790 at Keene, N. H. Children: Columbus, born July 10, 1814, at Cazenovia, enlisted in the Union army at Petersburg, Ill., and died in the service at Mobile, Ala.; Orril, born at Little Valley in 1817, the first white child born in the town, married Michael PUDDY, and died in Michigan; Zillah, born at little Valley, 1819, and now resides at Garnavillo, Iowa; and Ada, born at Little Valley in 1821, died in Michigan. Stephen CROSBY moved to Little Valley in 1815 and cut his road through the woods from Franklinville. As justice of the peace he officiated at the marriage of Gaius WHEATON and Lefa CHASE, which was Little Valley's first wedding. He was a devoted Christian pioneer, and for many years officiated as the only doctor, preacher, and lawyer in the settlement. When Cattaraugus county first became entitled to a representative in the Assembly in 1823 he was elected to that office and was re-elected in 1830.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 774

Surname: CULLEN

Joseph CULLEN, son of John, was born in Upton, Nottinghamshire, England, May 16, 1838. His father was a farmer and came to America in 1851, and first settled in Monroe county. In 1856 he removed to Little Valley and located on the farm where his son Joseph now resides, and where he died Jan. 17, 1876. He was a member of the Methodist Protestant church and was many years its class-leader. Joseph CULLEN, his oldest son, remained at home until 1862, when, on Sept. 3d, he enlisted in Co. B, 154th N. Y. Vols., and was discharged June 24, 1865. He participated in the battle of Chancellorsville and in several skirmishes, marched with Sherman to the sea, and had a long illness in the hospital at Patterson Park, Baltimore. He was also a prisoner six weeks. He succeeded his father on the homestead.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 774

Surnames: DARROW, KING

Adelbert E. DARROW, born in Pembroke, Genesee county, Sept. 13, 1842, was educated in the common schools with a few terms in the academies, and in June, 1862, he enlisted in Co. G, 129th N. Y. Inf., was transferred to the 8th N. Y. H. A., and was discharged June 2, 1865, with the rank of orderly-sergeant. His regiment was in General Hancock's corps. After the war he traveled in several western States and in the spring of 1867 he located in Salamanca where he engaged in manufacturing lumber. While there he held several town offices, and as highway commissioner he erected the iron bridge across the Allegheny river. Mr. DARROW is a Republican. In the winter of 1884 and again he was postmaster of the Senate of the State Legislature, and had previously held the office of deputy sheriff and under sheriff of Cattaraugus county each three years. In the fall of 1885 he received the nomination of his party for sheriff and was elected. At the close of this term he became a member of the Cattaraugus Cutlery Company and one of its directors; he has served as its secretary and is now its superintendent of construction. He also served as chairman of the Republican County Committee in 1889 and 1890. Nov. 25, 1869, he married Mary N. KING, of Salamanca, who was born in Pembroke, N. Y. They have one daughter, Trudia B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 774

Surnames: DAY, LEE, WING, HEATH, CHAMPLIN

Elias DAY, son of Erastus and Marian (LEE) DAY, was born in Orleans county in July, 1827. When a child his parents settled in New Albion. Jan. 1, 1850 he married Harriet WING who was born in New Lisbon, Otsego county, March 18, 1834. They settled in New Albion, where he died April.5, 1880. Mr. DAY was never robust in health, but was an enterprising farmer. He was a member of the M. E. church thirty-two years and led the choir about as long. He was a Republican and was tax collector three terms. Children: Albert, who married Hannah HEATH and has two children, and Emma (Mrs. Theodore CHAMPLIN), who has four children.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Pages 774 & 775

Surnames: DENSMORE, VAN HOUSEN

Capt. Samuel B. DENSMORE was born in Barre, N. Y., Dec. 29, 1833. At the age of fifteen he entered a general store as clerk, where he remained until he attained his majority. A year later he engaged in the business on his own account in Yates, Orleans county, where he was until 1862, when he enlisted on June 14th in Co. A, 129th N. Y. Inf. Aug. 25th he went to the front and participated in all the battles of General Grant's army until the close of the war. He was promoted from private to captain, and received a gun-shot wound in his left shoulder in front of Petersburg, June 22, 1864. He was captured at Reams's Station, Aug. 25, 1864, and confined in Libby, Dansville, and Salisbury prisons six months. In 1863 his regiment became the 8th N. Y. H. A., which was reduced by deaths, etc., from 900 to 120 men. He returned to mercantile pursuits in Little Valley in April, 1868, and is now engaged in the railway mail service. In 1868 he married Helen M. VAN HOUSEN, of Cortland county; they have two sons and a daughter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 775

Surnames: DREW, HOUGH

John DREW, Sr., son of Elijah DREW, was born in Vermont and married Nancy HOUGH, of Geneseo, N. Y., about 1822. He then settled in New Albion on Drew hill, where he resided five or six years, when he sold out to his brother, Noah DREW, and commenced again on Drew flats, where he erected another log cabin. Here he raised his children and here Mrs. DREW died Jan. 1, 1871. He planted a good orchard, and built a good house in 1850. He was commissioner of highways a number of years, and died April 15, 1880. Children: John, born April 14, 1824, died Jan. 3, 1830; Isaac, born Dec. 13, 1825, died Feb. 13, 1837; Abram, born Aug. 17, 1827, died Dec. 3, 1830; John, Jr., born Nov. 23, 1830; Julia Ann, born Sept. 19, 1832, died July 19, 1852; lra, born Feb. 23, 1835, residing with his only son, George E. DREW, proprietor of the Exchange Hotel in Little Valley; Henry, born July 17 1837, died Jan. 15, 1883; Silas Wilber, born Aug. 10, 1840; Oscar F., born Nov. 13, 1843; Clark, born Jan. 27, 1846; Francis Marion, born Dec. 31, 1847, a farmer in Salamanca and a soldier in the war for the Union ; Isaac Eugene, born Jan. 15, 1849, died Sept. 9, 1871; Angenette, born March 28, 1852.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 775

Surnames: FANCHER, MILLS, SHANNON

Albert T. FANCHER, son of Capt. William (see page 754) and Lydia (MILLS) FANCHER, was born in Leon, Jan. 18, 1859. He was educated in the common schools and in Chamberlain Institute, and at the age of eighteen formed a partnership with Edgar SHANNON, of Leon, under the firm name of Edgar SHANNON & Co., which continued in trade with two branch stores in the oil regions of Pennsylvania the ensuing seven years. A Republican in politics he represented his town on the Board of Supervisors three terms and in 1885 was the nominee of his party for and was elected clerk of Cattaraugus county. He resides in Little Valley, owns a farm in Leon, and deals, in real estate.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Pages 775 & 776

Surnames: FISHER, PENNEY, HALL

Judson H. FISHER was born in Napoli, March 5, 1838, and descends from sturdy New England stock. His father, William FISHER, was born in Massachusetts and came with his parents to Genesee county in his boyhood. About 1830 he came with an ox-team to Napoli and settled on a tract of too acres. He died Oct. 10, 1889. In religion he was a Baptist and an ordained clergyman. He preached regularly at a school house in "Pigeon Valley "; he officiated at numerous weddings and funerals, and was beloved and respected. He was twice married and the father of six children, all of whom reside in the Vicinity. Judson H. FISHER, his oldest son, received a common school education and remained on the homestead until August, 1862, when he enlisted in Co. H, 154th N. Y. Vols., and participated in the battle of Chancellorsville, where he fought hard and gallantly and fell pierced with a minie-ball, which broke his kneepan in three pieces. He lay in this condition fourteen days, suffering terribly from pain, hunger, thirst, heat, exposure, and the mingled insults and kindnesses of the enemy, when he was discovered by Union soldiers and sent to the hospital, where the surgeons deemed amputation of the shattered leg necessary. This he positively refused to allow, and alone, with his indomitable strength and perseverance, he set the mangled member, which ultimately healed, but never united. He is now a market gardener in Little Valley. Jan. 17, 1866, be married Sarah PENNEY, of Mt. Hope, N. Y.; children: Anna (Mrs. William F. HALL), Charles H., and Florence J.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 776

Surnames: FULLER, HOPKINS, BRISTOL, McKAY, HUNTLEY, GODDING, SPRAGUE, WHEATON

Cyrus W. FULLER was born in Pawlet, Vt., in March, 1800. When he was twelve years old his parents removed to Elba, Genesee county, where he resided until Feb., 1831. His father, John FULLER, served seven years in the Revolution and was many years a pensioner. Cyrus W. came to Little Valley with his wife and two children Tryphena and Cyrus A. in Feb., 1831, and settled on 100 acres with but three and a half acres cleared, which he purchased of Noel H. HOPKINS and the Holland Land Company. He soon afterward built a larger log house and a little later a framed addition in which he conducted the first grocery store in the village of Little Valley. Mr. FULLER often spoke in public meetings and as commissioner laid out most of the highways in town. He married Lucia BRISTOL, of Bethany, Genesee county, daughter of Elijah BRISTOL. Five of their seven children attained maturity: Tryphena (deceased), who married H. V. R. McKAY; Carrie (deceased), who married H. S. HUNTLEY; Alison L., of Humphrey; Lura (deceased); and Cyrus A., who was born Sept. 11, 1827. The latter succeeded his father on the homestead, to which he has added until he now has a farm of 450 acres. In the Rebellion he placed a substitute in the field who did service three years. Mr. FULLER married Lydia A., daughter of Levi GODDING, an early pioneer who resided in Little Valley until his death, aged seventy-two years. Children: Laura A. (Mrs. B. L. SPRAGUE), George W., and Nellie C. (Mrs. S. N. WHEATON).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Pages 776 & 777

Surnames: FULLER, VAN AERNAM, FAY, MANLEY, TWOMLEY

Brevet-Col. Henry Van Aernam FULLER,* oldest son of Benjamin and Ann (VAN AERNAM) FULLER, was born in the village of Little Valley, Feb. 16, 1841. He had two brothers and a sister. Benjamin C. was a soldier in the 37th N. Y. Vols. and a clerk in the Interior Department; Nathan A. was paying teller in the United States House of Representatives during the Forty-second, Forty-third, Forty-fourth, and Forty-fifth Congresses. His grandfather, Edmund FULLER, was the first settler in Randolph; his father was among the earliest in Little Valley. His mother, a lady of great intellectual strength, is the sister of Hon. Henry VAN AERNAM, M. D. (see page 131). Henry V. FULLER obtained his education in the common schools and at Fredonia and Randolph Academies. Had he survived the war it was his intention to have devoted himself to the legal profession. At the age of seventeen he was employed by Messrs. BRADLEY FAY & Co., lumber manufacturers, to run rafts down the Allegheny and Ohio rivers to Pittsburg, Cincinnati, and Louisville. He remained their confidential agent until the beginning of the war, when, on Aug. 7, 1861, in a letter to his friend, Hon. John MANLEY, he said:

"Deeming it to be the duty of every young man in these days of his country's peril to render her every help in his power, and that the most effectual service which can be given is to volunteer to fight her battles, I am resolved to join those already in the field and stand by them in this struggle for the constitution and laws."

Young FULLER entered the army a private in Co. F, 64th N. Y. Vols., on Sept. 10, 1861, and at Elmira he was promoted orderly-sergeant. At the election of line officers he was chosen second lieutenant and commissioned Dec. 10th. After the battle of Fair Oaks he was promoted first lieutenant July 23, 1862. He passed through the Seven Days of the Peninsula, the Pope campaign, Antietam, and Fredericksburg, and for meritorious service was promoted captain Dec. 30, 1862. Chancellorsville was fought May 1st, 2d, and 3d; this was followed, on the 1st 2d, and 3d of July, 1863, by the bloody battle of Gettysburg, where, on the second day, Captain FULLER fell. His body was recovered on the morning of July 4th, was conveyed to his home, and was buried with military honors. Under the authority of the laws of New York, 1865, the first brevet honor was bestowed by Gov. FENTON, that of brevet-colonel, in memoriam, for Capt. Henry V. FULLER. Colonel FULLER was endowed with superior mental powers. He possessed a manly physique, stood six feet high, and had a handsome face, clear gray eyes, and brown hair.

" Duice et deQorum est pro patria mori."

Dec. 24, 1860, he married Adelaide C., daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Lyman TWOMLEY, of Little Valley, a lady of culture and energy who has held the position of postmistress several years. Their son, Henry Twomley FULLER, of striking resemblance to his father, was born May 19, 1862. He is a druggist.

* This sketch of-the brave and gallant Colonel FULLER is condensed from a biography written by his friend, Hon. John MANLEY.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 777

Surnames: GREEN, THOMPSON, COURTNEY, WEBER, FERRIN

Hon. Stephen C. GREEN was born in Tompkins county Jan. 1, 1828. In 1833 his father removed his family to Jamestown, where, at the age of sixteen, Stephen was apprenticed to the printing business, which he pursued five years. In 1849 he began his mercantile career, the scene of his operations being mainly in Little Valley. Sept. 5, 1848, he married Laura Ann THOMPSON, who died June 8, 1867, and Dec. 15, 1868, he married, second, Minnie COURTNEY. Mr. GREEN has held most of the minor town offices and was supervisor of Little Valley in 1863 and 1865. In 1865 he was elected superintendent of the poor of Cattaraugus county and in 1868 was re-elected. In 1869 and again in 1870 he was elected to the State Legislature. He was the first president of the village of Little Valley. In Dec., 1887, with B. B. WEBER and A. W. FERRIN, he bought the Olean Times and continued its publication under the name of S. C. GREEN & Co. until Feb., 1891, when he retired and the firm became FERRIN & WEBER.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 777

Surnames: HALL, EDDY, SPRAGUE, BEDIENT, FULLER

Marcus HALL, son of Horace, one of the four brothers who were among the first settlers in the, corners of Napoli, Randolph, Conewango, and Cold Spring, now the village of East Randolph, was born in Napoli in 1831. He moved with his parents to the village of East Randolph when about twelve years of age, where he supplemented his common school education by several terms at East Randolph Seminary. Sept. 7, 1854, he married Almira M., daughter of Enos and Miranda EDDY, pioneers of Mansfield. Mr. HALL springs from a line of noted mechanics and has carried on farming, wagon making, and carpentering. Aug. 26, 1862, he enlisted in Co. E, 9th N. Y. Cav., and served nearly two years, participating in the battles of Gettysburg, Boonesborough, and others. His health failed in July, 1863, and he was sent to the hospital in September, came home on sick-leave for ninety days, and returned to his regiment at Christmas; he took a severe cold, was again confined in the hospital, and was discharged as permanently disabled June 11, 1864. He and Mrs. HALL have lived in the village of Little Valley the past eight years. They own a farm in Mansfield, which is the home of their daughter, Lydia M. (Mrs. John SPRAGUE). Their daughter Ida May (Mrs. Serentus W. BEDIENT) resides in the village of Little Valley. Mr. BEDIENT is a farmer and of the firm of FULLER & BEDIENT, proprietors of a meat market.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Pages 777 & 778

Surnames: HALL, MOSHER, JUDD, BRIGGS, WATKINS, GALLAGHER, SHAFER, BOUTELL, SMITH

Calvin HALL, born in Vermont in 1800 married Sarah MOSHER, who was born in Hoosick, N. Y., in 1801. They settled in Middlebury, N. Y., where their oldest two children were born. In the spring of 1832 they settled in New Albion, where he served as justice of the peace twelve years, presiding during that period at numerous law suits. He was a farmer and a mason, and died at the age of forty-four years. His wife died in 1851. Children: Phebe (Mrs. Harrison JUDD), of New Albion, who died Sept. 27, 1889; Calvin E., born Jan. 22, 1826; and Lydia, born in New Albion, married A. BRIGGS, and died in Dayton. Calvin E. HALL bought the homestead in New Albion and married, Aug. 14, 1849, Sarah M. WATKINS. They removed to Dayton, and about three years later purchased another farm in New Albion and conducted both. In 1868 they removed to a farm of 250 acres near Little Valley Center. He sold his real estate to a son and daughter, and died Dec. 24, 1890. Six children, five of whom grew to maturity: Mary (Mrs. Henry GALLAGHER) died Sept. 10, 1889; Robert D., born in 1852, married Nettie SHAFER, of Salamanca, and resides in Dayton; Adah E., born in 1856, married C. O. BOUTELL, of Salamanca; Edmund C., born in 1860, was a teacher, was principal of the Union Free School in Allegany, was a law student at the time be was taken ill, and died Sept. 10, 1867; and Drusa E., born in 1868, married Fred D. SMITH.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 778

Surnames: HEATH, HYDE, CHICHESTER, JOHNSON, ANTISDALE, DAY, WING, TOMES

Samuel C. HEATH, born in Bowe, N. H., in Feb., 1803, married Lois HYDE, a native of Vermont, and settled in Mansfield about 1828 in a log cabin roofed with elm-bark, in which town they lived about thirty years. Mr. HEATH died in Machias in 1881; Mrs. HEATH died Jan. 17, 1885. He was a shoemaker, but later in life gave his attention to his farm. Children: Calista, born May 22, 1828, widow of William CHICHESTER; John, born July 13, 1830, married Phebe JOHNSON, and is a farmer living in the village of Little Valley; and Bart, born May 31, 1832, Married Lydia L. ANTISDALE. Bart HEATH enlisted Sept. 24, 1861, in Co. F, 64th N. Y. Vols., and was discharged April 3, 1863, in consequence of a shell-wound received at the battle of Antietam on Sept. 17, 1862. His eldest daughter married Albert DAY, of Little Valley. Mary married Lyman WING, of Little Valley, and Lois married Robert TOMES, of Great Valley.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 778

Surnames: HENRY, STEBBINS, BROWN, PERSONS

William W. HENRY, son of Sylvester, was born in Collins, Erie county, April 18, 1837. At about the age of sixteen he began an apprenticeship at the printer's trade with his brother, James T. HENRY, then the editor of the Ellicottville Union. Completing his trade he was a journeyman until 1858, when he established the Gowanda Reporter, a Democratic weekly on which he and his partner, F. G. STEBBINS, did all the work. He continued this until the beginning of the Rebellion, when, in Oct., 1861, he enlisted in Co. A, 64th N. Y. Vols. He was promoted corporal and quartermaster-sergeant; in Oct., 1862, was commissioned lieutenant; and immediately after the battle of Fredericksburg was promoted to the rank of first lieutenant. He was finally compelled to resign on account of ill health and return to Gowanda, where he resided until 1871 and represented his town on the Board of Supervisors two years. He also served as town clerk, Justice of the peace, and president of the village. In Jan., 1871, he became under sheriff of Cattaraugus county, sheriff, William M. BROWN, and removed to Little Valley, where he has since resided. He was the nominee of the Democratic party for the office of sheriff in 1873 and was elected. In 1879, with C. F. PERSONS, he purchased the Olean Record, a Greenback paper, and converted it into a Democratic organ with the title of the Olean Democrat. In 1883 Mr. HENRY was appointed inspector of canals. In July, 1893, he was appointed postmaster at Little Valley.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Pages 778 & 779

Surnames: HICKEY, HOWE

John HICKEY was born in Canajoharie, N. Y., in 1794. He married Martha, daughter of Nathan HOWE, a pioneer of Great Valley, and settled first in Phelps, N. Y., where ail his children were born. In 1843 he came with his family to Little Valley, where he conducted a tavern on the site of the Rock City Hotel. He was a hotel keeper most of the time through his business life, and died at the home of his daughter in 1887. He was married three times. His first wife, the mother of all his children, died in March, 1852.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 779

Surnames: HIGBEE, MARSH, TUTTLE

Marion F. HIGBEE was born in New Albion, Feb. 18, 1850. In 1867 he commenced to learn the tinner's trade of Sidney MARSH in Little Valley and in 1871 he opened a store in the village. In 1876 he sold his business and went to Wyoming county, where he was in trade nine years. Eventually returning to Little Valley in July, 1890, he bought the store and stock of hardware and groceries of S. A. TUTTLE, and has since conducted the business.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 779

Surnames: HILSLE, GIBSON

George HILSLE, born in Alsace, France, in 1829, is descended from French ancestors, but was educated in the German schools and in German language, supplemented by two years in French. He learned the tailor's trade and at the age of seventeen came to America. In Canada and in Buffalo and in other places he followed his trade as a journeyman, and in 1853 he located permanently in Little Valley. He opened a store as a merchant tailor and a few years later added ready-made clothing. During the last year or two of the war he suspended business and bought a farm. In 1866 he again fitted up his store. In 1868 he married Adelia GIBSON, of Addison, N. Y.; they have two daughters and a son.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 779

Surname: HOLCOMB

Oliver L. HOLCOMB was born in Oneida county April 1, 1829. His father settled in Madison county, where he received a common school education. In 1847 he commenced an apprenticeship in the jeweler's trade at Utica, and in 1861 he settled permanently in Little Valley, where he opened a jewelry store, which he has since continued. He cast his first vote for John C. Fremont in 1856 at the organization of the Republican party and has voted for each of the Republican presidential candidates since. He has been deputy sheriff nine years and is now serving his third term as justice of the peace. He has been crier of the courts several years and still holds that position.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 779

Surnames: HOWE, SOUTHWICK, SPRINGER, BROOKS, ADAMS, NASH, FOX

Arthur H. HOWE was born in Gowanda, Erie county, Oct. 7, 1843. His grandfather, Jaazaniah HOWE, a native of Goshen, Mass., was a soldier in the Revolution. His father, Zimri the son of Jaazaniah. came to Lodi (now Gowanda) in 1825, and removed in 1858 to Cattaraugus in New Albion. He died March 11, 1867, and his wife, Esther, March 13, 1878. In 1859 Arthur H. HOWE began his career in the county clerk's office under E. H. SOUTHWICK, serving until 1864, when he enlisted in the 98th N. Y. S. N. G., which was stationed at Elmira guarding prisoners. He was made deputy county clerk in Jan., 1865, by S. C. SPRINGER and Jan. 1, 1868, by Enos C. BROOKS. At the expiration of this term be moved to Ellicottville and formed a mercantile partnership with A. J. ADAMS, and Jan. 1, 1874, returned to the county Clerk's office, being again made deputy by Col. E. A. NASH in July, 1875. That same year he was nominated and elected clerk of the county on the Republican ticket. Dec. 31, 1879, he married Harriet, daughter of C. J. FOX.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 779

Surnames: HOWE, HULETT, MANLEY, FOSTER, CHASE

Samuel HOWE, a native of Massachusetts and a son of Parley and Deborah (HULETT) HOWE, came with his father to Mansfield about 1830. Both were farmers. Parley HOWE died at the home of his son Samuel in Mansfield aged seventy-six years. Children: Joseph, Samuel, Lemuel, Lura, Roby, and Sybil (the only one now living). Samuel married Jane MANLEY, of Otto; children: Sybil, Aurelius, Leonard, John, Nelson, Augustus, Martin, Franklin, Levi, Alice. Franklin married Bertha FOSTER, great-granddaughter of David CHASE.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 780

Surnames: JOHNSON, WRIGHT

David JOHNSON, born in Madrid, St. Lawrence county, in 1839, received a common school education, learned the trade of harness making, and at the age of nineteen came to East Randolph, where he purchased a harness shop and prosecuted the business about ten years. In 1868 he sold out and established himself in Little Valley. He has also dealt extensively in hides, his purchases sometimes amounting to $1,000 a week. Latterly he has occasionally contributed to the press on political and other subjects. He has served two terms as trustee of the village. In Sept., 1858, a few months after he settled in East Randolph, he returned to his native county and married Sarah C. WRIGHT, of Norfolk, N. Y.; they have one surviving son, Charles E.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 780

Surnames: LEE, RATHBUN, CROSBY, TREVITT, MARSH

Lyman LEE was born in Guilford, Conn., in 1799. When seventeen or eighteen years of age he came to Rochester, and Dec. 23, 1819, married Harriet RATHBUN, who was born in Tioga county, Pa., in 1800. In March, 1821, he settled in Little Valley on a lot of 100 acres where the cheese factory now stands. He cleared a small plat, sowed and planted, and set out a nursery of apple and pear trees. In the fall of 1823 he exchanged farms with Stephen CROSBY and became the owner of 100 acres of land and the first frame building in the town, where he died in 1851. Mrs. LEE survived until July 29, 1879. Like other early settlers they experienced the hardships incident to pioneer life. The nearest mill was at Cadizville, about twenty-five miles away. Soon after he settled in Little Valley Mr. LEE broke his last axe, and to get it repaired he went on foot sixteen miles through the woods, which abounded with wolves. Mr. LEE was overseer of the poor for thirty years and superintendent of the Free Baptist Sunday school about as long. Children: a daughter who died in infancy and another at the age of thirty-eight; Susan A. (Mrs. C. S. TREVITT), of Washington, D. C.; Emma, widow of O. E. MARSH; William H., a carpenter in Corry, Pa.; Erastus N.; and Maurice L., of Olean.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 780

Surname: LEE

Erastus N. LEE, born on the homestead Dec. 2, 1834, succeeded his father on the farm, spent several seasons as a clerk in country stores, and has conducted the double occupation of farmer and merchant. He has been a staunch Republican since the organization of the party and was elected to the Board of Supervisors in 1866. He is a decided temperance man and quite an antiquarian, and his collection of Indian relics, procured in his own vicinity, number several hundred specimens.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 780

Surnames: LOCKE, FISH, GALLOWAY, FOOTE

Charles G. LOCKE was born in Little Valley in 1850. His parents were Edwin O. LOCKE and Mary M. FISH, daughter of the pioneer, Nathaniel FISH, and the first white child born in Mansfield. Edwin O. died when Charles was three years old and he was adopted by Augustus GALLOWAY, who married his aunt, Nancy FISH. Young LOCKE attended the common schools, the Ellicottville Union Free School, and received valuable instruction in mathematics from Mr. GALLOWAY. He mastered civil engineering and surveying, and has followed it as a profession. Mr. LOCKE is a vivid descriptionist and a writer of no mean ability. He also has a farm of 150 acres in Little Valley Center. He married Ella FOOTE. His only brother, Edwin A. LOCKE, is the author of several celebrated dramas and comedies.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 780

Surname: MACK

John F. MACK was born of German parents in East Otto in 1854. He commenced his business life as a cooper, and in the fall of 1879 bought a farm of 133 acres in Little Valley. He is an excellent farmer and a careful manager, and a man highly respected in the community.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Pages 780 & 781

Surnames: MANLEY, BITTUES, FENTON, SHANKLAND

Hon. John MANLEY, son of Amasa, was born in Norridgewock, Me., May 26, 1824. Like other farmer boys he spent his youth at the common schools, where he obtained a good English education, and at labor on his father's farm. In 1847 he married Elizabeth BITTUES at Augusta, Me., and in 1851 removed to Little Valley, where he engaged in farming, which avocation he continued for a number of years, and gradually became an extensive landowner. He was early and prominently identified in politics, and first cast his lot with the Whig party. At the organization of the Republican party be became one of its staunch supporters and took a leading part in its councils. He first entered public life in 1860 as the representative of Little Valley on the Board of Supervisors and was re-elected almost unanimously for six more terms. In 1861 he was appointed clerk in the Department of the Interior under Secretary Smith and served four years. In 1864 he was detailed as a special Indian agent within the State of New York. In March, 1865, he was appointed military secretary on the staff of Governor FENTON and held the position until May, 1866. In the fall of 1872 he was elected to the Assembly from the Second District of Cattaraugus county and was re-elected the ensuing fall. Mr. MANLEY gained considerable eminence as an agriculturist, and was the efficient president of the Cattaraugus County Agricultural Society seven years, being also a member of the Executive Committee of the Agricultural Society of the State of New York. He was a man of few professions. His religion as he expressed it consisted in faith in the Supreme Being and an endeavor to do right in all things. He was successful in winning the esteem of his fellowmen. During the war he was especially active in the amelioration of the condition of the soldiers in the field and in prison, visiting personally the camps and outposts; and at home he assisted materially in recruiting organizations for the front. He was pre-eminently the soldier's friend. As a speaker and writer he was fluent and comprehensive. His biographies of many of the local pioneers and eminent citizens are preserved as monuments in the history of western New York. For many years he was secretary of the County Agricultural Society and his records of the proceedings of that body are exquisite models of neatness and thoroughness. In the removal of the county seat to Little Valley he was especially active; according to the late Robert H. SHANKLAND he "stole it and tugged it over Fish hill in his carpet-bag." He was not without his faults, but his name will live in history as representing one whose good deeds were many and whose acts were acts of kindness. His widow, two daughters, and a son survive him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Pages 781 & 782

Surnames: MARKHAM, PHILLIPS, FIELD, CROSS

Lieut. William J. MARKHAM was born in Great Valley, March 25, 1826. His father, William MARKHAM, was born in Manlius, Onondaga county. He came to Cattaraugus county when twenty-two years old and married Rachel PHILLIPS, of Lyndon, theirs being the first marriage solemnized in that town. He spent a, year in Olean and then settled on a new farm in Great Valley. In 1841 he came to Little Valley, remained six or seven years on a farm, sold it, and returned to Great Valley, where he died in 1849. His son married Sophronia FIELD in Nov., 1847, and settled on the farm where he now resides. Sept. 23, 1861, he enlisted in Co. B, 9th N. Y. Cav., and Jan. 1, 1864, re-enlisted in Co. D of the same regiment, being commissioned second lieutenant and discharged July 17, 1865. He was shot through the thigh at Brandy Station, Va.; at Berryville, Va., the bones above his ankle were broken by a shell; at Port Republic he received a stunning blow from a pistol on his head which fractured his skull; and by the bursting of a shell he was made permanently deaf. He is a farmer and an ordained clergyman in the Church of the United Brethren. He is a Republican and has served as overseer of the poor eighteen years. Children: Ambrose W., of Franklinville; Charles E.; Fanny (Mrs. Frank CROSS), of Allegany; Frank M.; Edgar C.; Clark F.; and Willard J.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 782

Surname: MEROW

John H. MEROW, born in Germany in 1823, came to America in 1858, and settled on a farm in the west part of this town, which he owned at the time of his death, which occurred May 6, 1890, by being crushed by a heavy log that accidentally rolled over him while he was assisting in building a log fence. His wife survived him. They had four children.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 782

Surnames: MOSHER, EASTON, WINTERS, LITTLE, HERRICK, TOLES

Gilbert L. MOSHER, son of Benjamin and Peace (EASTON) MOSHER was born in Leon, Nov. 9, 1844. He was educated in the common schools, supplemented with a short attendance at Chamberlain Institute. He was justice of the peace in Leon and Jan. 1, 1877, he accepted the position of deputy sheriff and jailor from George L. WINTERS, sheriff, and removed to Little Valley, holding the position three years. In Nov., 1879, he was the nominee of the Republican party for the office of sheriff and was elected. At the close of his term he was appointed under sheriff by John LITTLE, Jr., and served another three years. Since then he has dealt in real estate, built several houses, and carried on his farm. He has also dealt extensively in horses and cattle. In 1890 he represented Little Valley as supervisor. He has always been a Republican and cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1864. In the fall of 1877 he married Adell L. HERRICK, of Gowanda, who died in 188 1 ; she was the mother of his only son. In the fall of 1884 he married Agnes L. TOLES, of Dansville, who is the mother of his only daughter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 782

Surnames: NILES, NOBLES, SALISBURY, GOWING, JOHNSON

Nathan S. NILES, born in Connecticut in 1810, was a blacksmith, and about 1832 came to Franklinville, where he opened a shop. In 1834 he married Huldah J. NOBLES, who was born in Whitehall, N. Y., in 1818. March 5, 1840, he settled in New Albion, erected a blacksmith shop, and carried on blacksmithing and farming. In 1861 he enlisted as the blacksmith for a company in the 9th N. Y. Cav. and died of pneumonia at Washington, D. C., Feb. 18, 1862. His widow resides on the homestead in New Albion. Children: Esther (Mrs. Hiram SALISBURY), deceased; Chauncey T.; Charles P., a soldier in the late war who died in Virginia near Manassas junction; Maryette (Mrs. Adolphus GOWING), deceased; Stephen M.; Mortimer A.; William F.; Gaylord,of Salamanca; and Clarissa E. (Mrs. Richard JOHNSON).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 782

Surnames: OLDAY, HENRY

Ernest OLDAY, a native of Germany, was born in 1842 and came to America in 1867. He settled in Little Valley in 1870, where he commenced his trade of carriage making. He cast his lot with the Republican party when he first became a citizen and was commissioned postmaster in Sept., 1889. In Jan., 1893, this office was promoted to third class and Mr. OLDAY was commissioned postmaster for four years more, but in July was succeeded by W. W. HENRY.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 782

Surnames: PARKER, SWEETLAND

Will C. PARKER, born in Machias, March 26, 1854, attended the common schools and the Fredonia Normal School, and at the age of about nineteen he commenced the tinner's trade, which he followed as clerk and journeyman about four years. In Jan., 1879, he formed a partnership in. the hardware and grocery business with J. W. SWEETLAND, which continued about two years, when he bought of his partner the hardware business which he continues.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Pages 782 & 783

Surnames: PRATT, DEVEREUX, SMITH, MARKHAM, HUNTLEY, LITTLE, DARROW

Samuel PRATT came to Little Valley from Tinmouth, Vt., in 1838, and spent nearly a year in clearing fifteen or twenty of the seventy acres his son Lyman S. had secured for him by contract from Nicholas DEVEREUX. He erected a log house and frame barn and was joined by his family in Sept., 1839. He died May 15, 1856. Lyman S. PRATT was born in Hubbardton, Vt., Dec. 17, 1813. In 1841 he married Martha SMITH, of Pittsford, came to Little Valley, built a house and opened a wagon shop in a part of it, and upon the death of his father he purchased the homestead, carrying on also his carriage making business. In 1864 he sold the homestead and removed to Randolph, where, in 1866, he purchased and opened a wagon shop and continued about five years. In the spring of 1877 he again settled in Little Valley, on Fair Oaks street. Children: Mortimer N., Jerome L., and Alice (Mrs. Stephen MARKHAM). Mortimer N. PRATT, born Jan. 28, 1845, attended the common schools and graduated at Randolph Academy and Nov. 14, 1866, married Hattie HUNTLEY. At the age of seventeen he taught his first term of common school and continued to teach thirteen consecutive winters. In Feb., 1867, he was elected justice of the peace and held the office sixteen years. He served three years as assessor and one year as justice of sessions. Jan. 1, 1883, he was appointed by Sheriff John LITTLE as his deputy. Jan. 1, 1866, he was re-appointed by Mr. LITTLE's successor, A. E. DARROW. In Nov., 1888, he was the nominee of his party and elected to the office of sheriff. He is a staunch Republican, and has been continuously in office since he was twenty-two years of age. Children: Robert H., his father's deputy; Arthur J., a plumber and tinsmith in Little Valley; and Howard. Mr. PRATT owns a farm of 180 acres, which includes the original homestead of two acres where his father first settled in 1841.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 783

Surnames: RUNDELL, BAKER

Dwight F. RUNDELL, born in Harmony, Chautauqua county, Jan. 22, 1850, received a common school education, and at the age of eighteen entered his father's drug store, where he remained until he was twenty-five. In 1875 he bought the drug store of Dr. D. P. BAKER in Little Valley. Mr. RUNDELL is one of the trustees of the village and an active citizen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 783

Surnames: RICH, SYKES

Marion J. RICH was born in New Albion, July 22, 1849. He taught a district school one winter, and Dec. 30, 1869, married Caroline B. SYKES. The next year he began mercantile business in the village of Cattaraugus and continued there until the autumn of 1876. He has been town clerk, was deputy county clerk to Jan. 1, 1877, until Jan. 1, 1880, and county clerk one term.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 783

Surnames: ROBERTS, CLARK, WILSON, HOBART, SMITH

Roswell ROBERTS was born in Bristol, Conn., April 5, 1797. He married Mercy CLARK, a school teacher, who was born in Northampton Mass., June 9, 1797. About 1824 or 1825 he came to Napoli, where he cleared a small plat, erected a log cabin, and moved his family into it. He eventually gave the homestead to his, son, Albert W. ROBERTS, and died Sept. 25, 1879. Mrs. ROBERTS died Aug. 23, 1869. Children: Adaline (Mrs. Artemas WILSON), born April 15, 1822, died in Napoli; Hannah (Mrs. HOBART), born April 20, 1826; Albert W.; and Abner L., of Derrick City, Pa., who was born Feb. 4, 1833. Albert W. ROBERTS was born on the homestead May 31, 1828. He married Melissa E. SMITH, Oct. 14, 1850, who was born in Napoli, Aug. 20, 1830. He was a farmer till 1885, when he removed to Little Valley.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 783

Surnames: SIGMAN, RUSSELL

Martin P. SIGMAN, born in Germany in 1844, emigrated to America with his parents about 1847. His father, Martin SIGMAN, became a citizen soon after he settled in New Albion. He had served his native country seven years as a soldier. His oldest son enlisted at the age of seventeen, on Oct. 14, 1861, in Co. C, 64th N. Y. Vols., and was discharged in Oct., 1864. Mr. SIGMAN was never in the hospital and was appointed corporal in 1863 and promoted orderly-sergeant. Feb. 18, 1872, he married Armenia RUSSELL and has resided in Little Valley since June, 1888.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Pages 783 & 784

Surnames: SMITH, BRICE, McAVOY, BURGER

Wilbur J. SMITH, son of William D. SMITH, was born in Leon, July 4, 1842. His father was a farmer and was born in Monroe county. He married Phebe L. BRICE and as early as 1835 settled on a farm in Leon. He first moved with his wife into a log cabin and struggled to make a home of his 100 acres, which he had paid for before he saw it at $1 per acre. He died in 1858. His oldest son, Willard D. SMITH, enlisted in the 37th N. Y. Vols. in April, 1861, and was discharged for disability in August following. He re-enlisted in October of the same year in the 100th N. Y. Vols., served as a noncommissioned officer until Feb., 1864, and re-enlisted as a veteran for three years. May 16, 1864, at the battle of Drury's Bluff, he was wounded in the ankle, was captured, was confined in Andersonville prison till Jan., 1865, and died at Florence, S. C., Jan. 30, 1865. Wilbur J. enlisted in Sept., 1861, in the 100th N. Y. Vols., being mustered into service with his regiment in Dec., 1861. Nearly all the time he was a non-commissioned officer and served as first sergeant about two years. In 1863 he was commissioned second lieutenant, but was not mustered. In Nov., 1863, he was granted a furlough of sixty days for good conduct on the battlefield and especially for bravery at the siege of Fort Wagner, July 18, 1863. Aug. 21, 1863, at a charge on rifle pits at Forts Wagner and Gregg, he received a wound in his right thigh and still carries the two small bullets he received at that time. In Sept., 1864, he was commissioned adjutant of his regiment, but was not mustered in on account of wounds which he received Oct. 27, 1864, while commanding his company on the old battlefield of Fair Oaks. He was carried from this field to the Fly Hospital, thence to Hampton Hospital, Va., and finally mustered out of service in Buffalo, N. Y., Jan. 30, 1865. He returned home and was so disabled that he performed no business for three years. He then engaged in the insurance business in company with F. B. McAVOY, of Otto. In Feb., 1869, he married Lizzie BURGER and lived in Otto until 1873, when he was appointed deputy sheriff and settled in Little Valley, where he still resides. He was deputy sheriff four years, when he again conducted an insurance business four or five years and engaged in farming and in breeding and dealing in blooded horses. Mr. SMITH has been president of the village and has held nearly all the offices of the corporation. Children: Clayton B., born in 1871; Cora N., born in 1873; and Winnifred E., born in 1876.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 784

Surnames: STRATTON, WHEELER, COOK, HILL, BROWN, FOSTER, FOY

James STRATTON, born in Athol, Mass., in 1786, married Betsey, daughter of Joshua WHEELER, and settled in Erie county in 1812, making the journey with two yoke of oxen in thirty days. In 1819 they removed to Little Valley Center and settled on the farm now owned by Samuel COOK. Mr. STRATTON died in Aug., 1874, and Mrs. STRATTON on Jan. 5, 1879. Mr. STRATTON was industrious and enterprising and held several of the town offices. Children: Leander, who settled first near his father and removed about 1874 to Tennessee; Lorenzo, who married Sophia J. HILL, was a merchant in Cincinnati, Ohio, a farmer on the homestead, domesticated a herd of elk, in 1868 bought an extensive plantation in Tennessee, removed thither, built a saw-mill and grist-mill and a fine residence, and died there in June, 1884; Luana, who married Nathan C. BROWN, a farmer in Little Valley Center, and moved in 1868 to Tennessee; Achsah, a teacher who died at the age of twenty years; Louisa, who married Chester FOSTER, a farmer, and removed to Tennessee in 1875 ; and Zebulon L., who married Martha FOY, settled and lived on the homestead eleven years, and removed to Whig street in April, 1865, where Mr. STRATTON died Aug. 16, 1889. He was a good scholar and a great reader. Children: Edward A., who has taught twenty terms of school and is now a teacher in Randolph, and Albert L., a teacher and farmer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Pages 784 & 785

Surnames: SWEETLAND, HOUGHTON, PALMER

The SWEETLAND family in America trace their ancestry to the Pilgrim fathers who came from England and settled in Massachusetts two or three years after the landing of the Mayflower. Asa SWEETLAND, Sr., a native of Vermont, was born in 1784, married Tabitha HOUGHTON, who was born Sept. 2, 1788, and came with four children to Elba, Genesee county, in 1816. In 1828 he removed to Little Valley and as early as 1831 all his children -- three sons and a daughter -- were residing near him. Mr. SWEETLAND was a prominent member of the M. E. church and served as class-leader until he resigned on account of old age. He died March 8, 1867. His son, Rev. Lewis SWEETLAND, was born in Vermont, Jan. 2, 1810. He settled in the west part of the town, his homestead being owned by his heirs. For several years he was a local preacher of the M. E. church. Later, and for many years, he was an itinerant preacher of the Methodist Protestant church and died on his charge Sept. 17, 1883. He married Lucilla PALMER; of his ten children only Emory, Sophia and Maria (twins), and Orlando are living.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 785

Surnames: SWEETLAND, FISHER, HART

Asa SWEETLAND, Jr., born in Vermont, June 6, 1812, married Matilda FISHER, March 8, 1832, Whose father, William FISHER, was a pioneer of Little Valley. They at once settled on the farm where he now lives. At that time there was one habitation of the kind in sight and another on the site of the present Rock City Hotel. Besides these three log cabins the entire territory of the village was a forest. Both he and his wife were prominent members of the M. E. church. He officiated as class-leader about twenty-five years and has been a member over sixty-six years. Mrs. SWEETLAND died Dec. 18, 1887, leaving one surviving daughter, Altheda (Mrs. Horace HART). Mrs. HART was born, raised, married, and commenced housekeeping on the homestead, and there her only child, Henry M., was born.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 785

Surnames: SWEETLAND, SHORT, PARKER

John Wesley SWEETLAND, son of Rev. LEWIS, was born April 9, 1831. He received a good English education and taught common schools in winter many years. Jan. 4, 18547 he married Malvina F. SHORT and about two years after he bought forty acres of the homestead. In Sept., 1862, he enlisted in Co. B, 154th N. Y. Vols., and at Arlington Heights was attacked with fever and sent to the hospital. On partial recovery he was retained as a helper in the hospital, and remained in this position until discharged at the close of the war. He then resumed farming. In 1876 he removed to the village and had a position in the county clerk's office. In the spring of 1879 he formed a partnership with W. C. PARKER as SWEETLAND &. PARKER in the hardware trade. A year or two later Mr. SWEETLAND bought Mr. PARKER out and continued the business alone until the spring of 1884, when his son, S. L. SWEETLAND, became his partner as J. W. SWEETLAND & Son. He died Sept. 7, 1884.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 785

Surnames: SWEETLAND, BAILEY

S. L. SWEETLAND was born in Batavia, Genesee county, Sept. 8, 1855. When two years old his parents removed to Little Valley, where he has since resided. His education was obtained in the common schools with two years in Chamberlain Institute. He learned the printer's trade in the office of the Cattaraugus Republican, where he was employed five years, and on the Bradford Era one year. His father's health failed in 1833 and Lewis went home and conducted his father's hardware and grocery store. Upon the death of his father in 1884 his mother became his partner under the firm name of S. L. SWEETLAND & Co. He was clerk of Little Valley from 1884 to 1889. Jan. 4, 1878, he married Ella R. BAILEY; children: Lee Wesley and S. L., Jr.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Pages 785 & 786

Surnames: SWEETLAND, HOLDRIDGE

Emory SWEETLAND, son of Rev. LEWIS, was born Oct. 14, 1835, married Mary J., daughter of Zina HOLDRIDGE, and settled on a farm on the Bucktooth road. He enlisted in Co. B, 154th N. Y. Vols., and served the last three years of the war, being discharged at Washington in 1865. The last year of his service he was chief steward of Second Division, Twentieth Army Hospital.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 786

Surnames: TRAVIS, BUFFINGTON, TEN EYCK, WILSON

Capt. William TRAVIS, born in Saratoga county, Dec. 27, 1796, married Sophia BUFFINGTON, of Saratoga, who was born in Kenebec county, Maine, Oct. 15, 1803. They removed to Marcellus, N. Y., and in 1826 came to New Albion, where he was a farmer and carpenter. He died Oct. 19, 1851. He was justice of the peace several terms, and was noted as a successful pettifogger in justice's court. In early life he was identified with the militia and was promoted to captain. Of their four children the oldest, John TRAVIS, was born June 10, 1825, was raised in New Albion, and Dec. 4, 1843, married Anna M., daughter of Barrant TEN EYCK a blacksmith and an early settler. In 1856 he permanently settled in the village of Little Valley, where he has since resided except about four years spent in Crawford county, Pa. While in Little Valley he has been a farmer. They had twelve children, of whom seven are living. Their oldest child, Nancy J. (Mrs. William H. WILSON), died in Alabama, June 26, 1887. The other four died in infancy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 786

Surname: VICKERY

Edgar R. VICKERY, son of Arvin R. VICKERY, was born in Lysander, N. Y., Jan. 14, 1833. His father settled on a farm in New Albion in 1852, where he remained until April, 1883, when he removed to Little Valley, where his son and daughter Elizabeth and aged widow now reside. He died April 2, 1890. Edgar R. VICKERY, on Sept. 3, 1861, enlisted in Co. I, 49th N. Y. Vols., and was mustered into service Sept. 6th. He participated in the battles of Lewinsville, Va., Oct. 13, 1861; Watt's Creek, April 1 1862; Young's Mills, April 4, 1862; siege of Yorktown from April 5 to May 4, 1862; Lee's Mills, April 5 and 16; Williamsburg, May 5, 1862; Mechanicsville, May 26, 1892; Golding's Farm, June 5, 1862; New Bridge, June 18, 1862; Seven Days' Battle commencing June 25, 1862; Garnett's Farm, June 27, and Garnett's and Golding's Farm, June 28, 1862; Savage Station, June 29, 1862; White Oak Swamp Bridge, June 30, 1862; Malvern Hill, July 1, 1862; and Harrison's Landing, July 3, 1862, where a bullet passed through his canteen and where he received a bullet-wound in his right knee. He was sent to judiciary Square Hospital in Washington, D. C., July 7, 1862, was transferred to Newton University Hospital, Baltimore, Aug. 28, and was discharged Feb. 19, 1863, upon a surgeon's certificate of disability. He returned to his home on Feb. 28th. He is now a farmer in the village of Little Valley.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 786

Surname: WATSON

James H. WATSON, born in Butler county, Pa., June 8, 1841, was raised a farmer, was educated in the common schools, and April 24, 1861, enlisted in Co. K, 8th Pa. Vols., being discharged July 29, 1861. The next morning he enlisted in Co. E, 62d Pa. Vols., and was. dated back on the muster roll July 4, 1861. He was discharged upon a surgeon's certificate of disability April 20, 1863. He again enlisted, but was rejected.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Pages 786 & 787

Surnames: WHEATON, CHASE, GIBSON, BRYANT, CARVER, BAILEY, FULLER

Gaius WHEATON was born in Worcester, Mass., in 1789 or 1790. About 1820 he came to Little Valley Center, locating on the farm owned by his son Norman, the oldest person living who was born in the limits of the present town. He married Lefa CHASE, daughter of the pioneer, David CHASE, and brought his bride to his little frame house, and both remained on the place to the close of their lives. She died in early life and was the mother of all his children. He was afterward twice married. Mr. WHEATON was the first blacksmith in town and followed his trade several years. He held town offices, was an active Free Mason, and a master of the lodge. He died in 1863. Children: Hiram, who married, first, Mary GIBSON, and second, Olive BRYANT (the mother of two daughters), was a farmer first in Allegany and last in Ellicottville, and was proprietor of a grist-mill in Allegany, where he died; Norman, born in 1823, resides on the homestead, has always been a farmer, was raised a Democrat, but has been a Republican since the organization of the party, has been supervisor, justice of the peace, and assessor, married Harriet CARVER, and has children Viola (Mrs. Frank BAILEY) and Stanley N.; and Gaius, Jr. Stanley N. WHEATON, born on the WHEATON homestead Dec. 1, 1857, received a good academic education, and at the age of sixteen commenced teaching district schools and taught eight terms. At the same time he read law and at the age of twenty-one was appointed deputy county clerk, serving in that capacity about seven years and being clerk of the courts the last four years. In 1881 he was admitted to the bar and in the fall of 1887 was elected school commissioner of the Second District of Cattaraugus county, and was re-elected to the office. In 1880 Mr. WHEATON married Nettie, daughter of Cyrus A. FULLER and granddaughter of Cyrus W. FULLER.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Little Valley Chapter XXXIV (34)

Page 787

Surnames: WHEATON, KELLY, GREEN, FULLER, BARNES, HALEY

Gaius WHEATON, Jr., was born Aug. 17, 1826, and is a farmer in Allegany. He married Sarah KELLY, of Little Valley, July 9, 1848, who was born Nov. 10, 1829, and died in Allegany, March 4, 1878. Sept. 6, 1882, he married, second, Mrs. Malinda GREEN, who was born April 2, 1844. His children by his first wife were Miranda, born June 11, 1851, married Benjamin C. FULLER (deceased), Sept. 23, 1872; Florence, born May 15, 1856, married J. E. BARNES, Jan. 16, 1878; Jessie H., born March 1, 1863, married J. H. HALEY, Oct. 6, 1882; and Allen G., born Dec. 8, 1865.
 

Back To Cattaraugus County


If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact me at:

Painted Hills

This page is maintained by the PHGS
 Last Update January 27, 2009

© 2002 by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society
Main | Email Us | Look-Ups | Members Family Pages
Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer

All Rights Reserved