TOWN of HUMPHREY

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES FROM: "HISTORICAL GAZETTEER AND BIOGRAPHICAL MEMORIAL of CATTARAUGUS COUNTY, NY, ed by WILLIAM ADAMS, Published 1893
 
 

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 733

Surnames: BAILEY, DRAKE, STEVENS, PETRIE, CARD, TURNER

Levi D. BAILEY is the grandson of Daniel BAILEY, who was born in England, came to America, settled in New Jersey, served in the War of 1812, and died aged 110 years. His son Levi E., born in New Jersey in 1809, came to Wayne county, where he married Elizabeth DRAKE, who was a descendant in the eleventh generation from William of Orange, and settled in Exeter, Pa., where Levi D. was born in 1833. Levi E. afterward lived in Steuben county, N. Y., over forty years and died in Bradford, Pa., in 1889 and his wife in 1891. At the age of sixteen Levi D. shipped from New Bedford on a three years' whaling voyage, visiting California on his way home. In 1853 he married Celia A. STEVENS and settled in Tioga county, Pa., coming in 1857 to Carrolton, where he was a lumberman. In 1862 he enlisted in Co. A, 154th N. Y. Vols., and was in the battle of Fredericksburg, was disabled from further service from spinal disease, and was discharged in 1863. Mrs. BAILEY went with her husband and served as a volunteer nurse in camp and on the battlefield. She had a tent after the battle of Fredericksburg known as Mrs. BAILEY's tent, for which she neither asked nor received pay. Children: Armenia (Mrs. Levi PETRIE), Ida M. (Mrs. Fred CARD), George L. (married Harriet TURNER) – children: Carrie M. and Lennie), and James A. (died young).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Pages 733 & 734

Surnames: BARKER, PERSONS, JANS, VAUGHN, LEWIS, SHEPARD, SMITH, BERRY, QUIRK

Marshall BARKER is the son of Thomas and the grandson of Phineas BARKER, of French descent, who lived in Orwell, Vt., and married Amy PERSONS, of Dutch ancestry and a descendant from Anneke JANS of Trinity church property notoriety. Their son Thomas, born in Orwell in 1797, came to Humphrey in 1819. He was a shoemaker and brought a sack of boots and shoes and his kit of tools on his back, and bought land and settled in the west part of the town. He married Phebe, daughter of John VAUGHN, of Washington county. Children: Edwin (died when four years old), Cordelia, Jane, Augusta, Mary, and Marshall. The latter was born April 17, 1838, was raised a farmer, and after the common schools attended Randolph Academy and Alfred Seminary. His father died in 1855. He remained on the farm and in 1859 married Ellen E., daughter of Thomas B. and Lucinda (LEWIS) SHEPARD. Children: Ada M. (Mrs. Edwin SMITH), whose children are Lee, Glen, Coilah, and Grace; Neolah, died aged nineteen; Frank W., now telegraph operator at Four Mile station who married Anna, daughter of Milo BERRY, and has one child, Musette; and Jennieve (Mrs. Patrick QUIRK), whose children are Ellen G. and Frances G. Mr. BARKER traded the farm for his present home at Chapellsburg in 1865, in which he opened a store and was a merchant seven years and postmaster eleven years. In the meantime, being a natural worker in wood or iron, he became a millwright, wagonmaker, and blacksmith, and opened shops which he still operates. He also studied surveying, and in 1870 began its practice and still continues it. To aid a natural love for investigation he has one of the best collections of scientific works in the county. He was elected supervisor on the Republican ticket in 1875, since which he has acted with Greenback organizations. His religious views are with the Universalist faith.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 734

Surnames: BERRY, CHAPELL, LEONARD, COLE, STAFFORD, CONSETT, SWEET, DEVINE, BARKER, PIERCE

Milo BERRY is the son of Alonzo and the grandson of Jonathan BERRY, of Franklin county, who came from Vermont. Alonzo moved to Leicester, N. Y., about 1815, where Milo was born in 1830 and came with his parents to Humphrey when two years old. Alonzo was a cooper by trade and made soon after coming here 100 pine sap buckets for Russell CHAPELL, who had a large sugarbush in Sugartown. This job brought him $20 in cash. Mr. BERRY married Anis LEONARD; children: Joel, who died in White Pigeon, Mich., in 1857, Elmira, who died aged eighteen; Lemira, who married Stephen S. COLE and died in 1885; Alonzo, of Buffalo; Edwin, of Minnesota; and Milo. Milo learned his father's trade and had a shop at Humphrey Center. He married Catharine STAFFORD, of Ellicottville; children: Ursula V., Frank T., Myron (married Mary CONSETT, of Franklinville, who died in 1889, leaving two children, Frank and Earl), Addie (married Greeley SWEET, who died, and she married, second, James DEVINE), Anna (Mrs. Frank BARKER), Judson, and Ella. Milo BERRY, always a Republican, was first elected justice of the peace in 1860 and has held the office ever since, except in 1880. He has been town clerk four years, in 1881 and 1882 was justice of sessions, and was postmaster at Humphrey Center during Harrison's administration.

Frank T. BERRY, son of Milo, was born in Humphrey, July 4, 1853. When a young man he learned the trade of tool-dresser, at which he worked seven years in Bradford, Pa., going there in 1875. Jan. 1, 1882, he married Laura, daughter of Harvey A. PIERCE, of Humphrey; children: Beulah and Hazel. When twenty-one years old he held the office of constable which then paid $130 a year. He was elected supervisor in 1893.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Pages 734 & 735

Surnames: BOZARD, LEARN, NEWELL, BARBER, PIERCE, WINTERS, BUTLER

Andrew J. BOZARD is the son of Richard and the grandson of Christopher BOZARD who came with his brother John from Pennsylvania and settled in Humphrey about 1831. These two pioneer settlers were of Scotch-Irish descent and the eminence on which they located is still known as BOZARD hill. Richard married Eleanor LEARN; children: Henry M., Andrew J., Cyrus P., Barnard S. (died in Chicago), Ashbel L., Rebecca (Mrs. Harrison NEWELL), Joseph, Laura (Mrs. Eliab BARBER), and Judson O. Andrew J. was born in Humphrey in 1832 and married, in 1861, Mrs. Sarah E. PIERCE, daughter of Alphonso WINTERS, who had two children, George and Kelley, by her first husband. They have had one son, Alphonso. All three are dead, the latter two dying in 1864. Mr. BOZARD's farm of 150 acres comprises a part of the original homestead. He is a Republican and has served a term as assessor.

Truman C. BOZARD, eldest child of Cyrus P. and Julia (PIERCE) BOZARD, was born in Humphrey in 1862 and was raised a farmer. In 1889 he opened a store at Chapellsburg and was appointed postmaster May 15, 1891, serving now his fifth year. In 1890 and 1891 he was elected town clerk, and during the latter year built the store he now occupies. July 4, 1882, he married Eva L., daughter of William BUTLER, of Humphrey. Children: Rose E., Grace B., Ruley M., and Floyd C. Cyrus P., son of Richard and grandson of Christopher BOZARD, was born in Humphrey in 1835. He is a farmer, but has been a contractor and builder, merchant, and postmaster in Humphrey. In 1861 he married Julia, daughter of Lyartus PIERCE. Children: Truman C., Eddie H., and Blanche C. Mr. BOZARD has been elected on the Republican ticket five times as town clerk and is now serving his second term as justice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 735

Surnames: BUTLER, SPINK, BEEBE, WHEELER, DEVINE

Seneca H. BUTLER is the grandson of Patrick BUTLER, of Fairport, N. Y., whose son Patrick came to East Otto and married Maria SPINK; children: Franklin, who was drowned while young; Louisa (Mrs. Charles H. BEEBE), of Humphrey Center, children Emma, Madalla, and William F.; and Seneca H., who was born in East Otto in 1848, became a farmer and grain thresher, and married Rachel, daughter of David WHEELER, of Humphrey. They have one child, Jennie. Patrick BUTLER died in 1852. Besides farming Mr. BUTLER owns and runs the only cider-mill in town, has owned and run the store where James DEVINE is, and for the past two years has kept a stock of merchandise in his dwelling house at Humphrey Center.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 735

Surnames: CHAMBERLAIN, BURDICK, HINMAN

George W. CHAMBERLAIN is the son of Harrison CHAMBERLAIN, who came to Great Valley from Ohio about 1830 and was a nephew of judge Benjamin CHAMBERLAIN. Harrison was a superintendent of railroad construction on the Erie and other roads and now lives in Bradford, Pa. He married Barbara C., daughter of Abel BURDICK, a merchant and lumber dealer of Olean. They had two sons: George W. and Benjamin A. Mrs. CHAMBERLAIN died in 1886. George W. was born in Great Valley in 1851 and learned the blacksmith's trade, opening a shop in Randolph in 1871, then running shops in Salamanca and Great Valley, and since 1887 at Humphrey Center. In 1874 he married Hannah L., daughter of John B. HINMAN, of Humphrey. Children: Franklin D., Lloyd, Paris P. and Pearl H. (twins), and Goldie M. Mr. CHAMBERLAIN has a great taste for reading, an active mind, and a vivid imagination that often finds expression in poetry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 735

Surnames: CHAPMAN, SHERMAN, MEACHUM, SHERWOOD, OAKS

Henry A. CHAPMAN is the grandson of Noah and the son of Ichabod CHAPMAN, who came to Humphrey from Cayuga county about 1838. He married Rhoda SHERMAN; children: William (a soldier in the Civil war who died in 1889), Julia, Electa, Henry A., George, Clara, Mary, Charles, Townsend (who went to the war and was shot at the battle of Three Pines), Sarah, Helen, and Josephine. Mr. CHAPMAN died in 1866. Henry A. CHAPMAN was born in Cayuga county in 1831, grew up a farmer, and in 1858 married Mary P. MEACHUM, of Mansfield. Milo, the oldest of their two sons, married Lena SHERWOOD; children: Daniel and Earl. Levi married Mary OAKS; children: Harry and William. Mr. CHAPMAN bought his farm of 161 acres on Howe hill in 1858.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Pages 735 & 736

Surnames: CHILDS, SPAULDING, MILLER, MASON, GUTHRIE, FAY, WRIGHT, PIERCE

Cephas CHILDS, son of Cephas, was born in Dresden, N. Y., Jan. 31, 1824. His mother's name was Eunice SPAULDING; children: Eliza (married James MILLER), Donald, Minerva (married Joseph MILLER), Simon J., James M., and Cephas. Cephas, Sr., was killed by a falling tree when his youngest child was ten days old. Mrs. CHILDS married, second, Nathan MASON, who brought the family to Crawford, county, Pa. Cephas, Jr., married, in 1848, Mary A. GUTHRIE, who was born in Phelps, N. Y., in 1824. They settled in Humphrey, where they have since lived (except four years in Salamanca), in 1852. Children: Betsey B. (Mrs. Charles FAY), who has children Charles, Irvin B., and Edna L.; Almon G., who married Nettie WRIGHT and has one child, John C.; and Phebe J. (Mrs. Fred PIERCE), whose children are Mary C., Roy H., and Earl. These three families all live on adjoining farms. Cephas CHILDS enlisted in Jan. 1862, and served three years in the Civil war, fighting in the battles of Second Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Antietam, and Gettysburg. He has always been a farmer and a Republican.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 736

Surnames: CLARK, ARNOLD, FOSTER, WHITLOCK, EVANS

Henry S. CLARK is the son of Hiram CLARK, who was born in Chatham, Conn., in 1801, married Achsah ARNOLD in 1825, and came with his family to Great Valley in 1828. Children: Henry S., Mary (deceased), James, and Charles. Henry S. CLARK was born in Great Valley in 1830, was reared a farmer, and married Catharine FOSTER in 1858. In 1861 he enlisted in Co. A, 154th N. Y. Vols., and was in the Army of the Potomac till the close of the war. He came home with impaired health, for which he now receives a pension. Children: Hiram married Alice WHITLOCK and has children Lloyd V., Eddie B., and Lelah J.; and Virgil H. born in 1866, a farmer with his father, married Ella C. EVANS in 1888, and has one child, Burnell B. Evander EVANS, father of Mrs. CLARK, was a soldier and died in service. Henry S. CLARK has lived on his present farm of 130 acres twenty-seven years. His wife died in 1871.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 736

Surnames: COLE, SALISBURY, BERRY, REYNOLDS, McKOON

Stephen S. COLE, son of Rev. Benjamin and Rachel (SALISBURY) COLE, was born in Marlborough, Vt., in 1802. In 1822 he came from Phelps, N. Y., to Humphrey, where he had purchased eighty acres, to which he added until he owned 400 acres. He early exerted a leading influence in the town and county. He was first a Whig and then one of the organizers of the Republican party in this county in 1856, and took the stump for Fremont and afterward for Lincoln, speaking in every town in the county. He was justice of the peace about twenty years, was supervisor eleven years, and served as assemblyman in 1851. He married Miss Lemira P. BERRY, a native of Livingston county. Children: Marvin S., Rosalia (Mrs. Eugene REYNOLDS), Helen L. (Mrs. Albert I. McKOON), Delia A., and George W. Marvin S. COLE was born in Humphrey, Feb. 25, 1839, was educated in the common schools and Rushford Academy, enlisted in May, 1861, in Co. H, 37th N. Y. Vols., was promoted orderly-sergeant, and mustered out in June, 1863. He began teaching and was in the Olean schools seven years and principal of Olean Union School and Academy five years and of Limestone Union School three years. Owing to the partial failure of his sight he gave up teaching and went to railroading, being cashier at Eldred, Pa., two years. He came to Machias in August, 1883, and has remained there since as joint station agent for the Western New York & Pennsylvania railroad and the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburg railroad.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Pages 736 & 737

Surnames: De GOLIA, VADER, WEBB, GUTHRIE, CROSS, SMALLMAN

George C. De GOLIA, whose ancestor came from France during the French and Indian war, was the son of James De GOLIA, of Prattsburg, N. Y., who was born in 1801, came with his family in 1830 to McKean county, Pa:, and died in Smethport, Pa., in 1833. George C. moved the family to Bradford, Pa., now De GOLIA. In 1847 his mother married Jacob VADER. George C. worked in different places at his trade as carpenter and millwright. He was born in 1821 and in 1849 married Rebecca WEBB, who died in Smethport, Pa., in 1850. In 1853 he married Electa L. GUTHRIE and in 1858 moved to Humphrey, where he bought in 1864 the farm on which they have since lived. The eldest of their three children, Andrew J., born in 1857, married Mary, daughter of John CROSS, in 1880, and settled in Humphrey. Children: Blossom, Budd, Electa J., and John C. John A., born in 1859, lives with his parents, and George E., born in 1863, married Jennie SMALLMAN, and is a traveling freight agent for the Western New York & Pennsylvania railroad. Mr. De GOLIA was drafted in 1864 and sent a substitute. A Republican in politics he served one term as assessor and was justice of the peace from 1861 to 1865.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 737

Surnames: DEVINE, HATTON, KINNEY, FEE, BERRY

James DEVINE is the son of James and Margaret (HATTON) DEVINE, who came from Ireland to America about 1840 and settled in Humphrey in 1865. Their children were: Mary, who married Thomas KINNEY, of Humphrey, and had six children; James; and Ellen (Mrs. Eugene FEE). James was born Feb. 22, 1857, grew up on his father's farm, attended common school and the Canandaigua Academy, taught school four terms, and was reporter for a time on the Olean Herald. From 1885 to 1887 he ran as mail agent from Hornellsville to Kent, O., in the discharge of which duties he was caught in a railroad collision at West Salamanca in 1858, receiving injuries in his back that disabled him for three years, for which the company paid him $2,500. In 1889 he bought the store at Humphrey Center, where he has been a merchant for the past four years. In 1890 he married Adeline, daughter of Milo BERRY; children: Kittie and Margaret.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 737

Surnames: DICKINSON, ROWLEY, DERBY, BERRY

John W. DICKINSON, son of John W., was born in London, England, and received a college education in that city. After completing his studies he determined to seek a home in the United States and came to New York city and thence to Schenectady, where he resided a few years. He there married Elizabeth ROWLEY, of that place, and both decided to make the almost unbroken wilderness of Cattaraugus county their future home. They came to the north part of Humphrey in 1826. He bought a farm in lower Sugartown, built a log house and barn, and successfully proceeded to make for himself a comfortable home. He built the first blacksmith shop in that region. He often delivered orations on public occasions and was a fife-major in the War of 1812. He was a man of good morals and a thorough temperance advocate, which in those early times was the exception, not the rule. He was elected justice of the peace and held his courts where the wrangling of the pettifoggers was sometimes interrupted by the hooting of an owl or the screach of some wild animal. He also taught a few terms of district and singing schools. There were seven children born to them, two of whom are living: Permelia DERBY in Franklinville and Christina BERRY in Great Valley. The others were Sarah T., Charles T., Abijah A., Eliza A., and Harriet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 737

Surnames: DOLLARD, GRIFFIN, WRIGHT, BYRNE, McCUNE, FLYNN

Matthew P. DOLLARD, son of Patrick R. and Alice (GRIFFIN) DOLLARD, was born in New York city, Nov. 15, 1838, and came with his father to Humphrey in 1856. Patrick R. bought of Abram WRIGHT the farm which Matthew P. now owns. Matthew married, in 1859, Margaret P. BYRNE, who was born in Watertown, N. Y., in 1843; children living: Alice (married John McCUNE and has children John and Daniel), Margaret, John P. (married Mary FLYNN and has one child, Gertrude), Francis J., Helena, Edward, Stephen A., Philip, Many A., Arastula, and Jane A. Two boys, Matthew and Patrick, died aged twelve and eight and four other children died in infancy. Mr. DOLLARD has been an efficient town officer and is now serving his sixteenth consecutive term as assessor. He is a Democrat and a trustee of St. Pacificus church.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 737

Surnames: DYE, EMMONS, HOWE

Dr. Henry W. DYE, an eclectic physician, was born in Boston, Erie county, in 1816, read medicine with Drs. EMMONS and HOWE in Springville, and came to Franklinville in 1849 and to Humphrey in 1860. He lived on the Five Mile track and practiced in this town about two years. He went to Ashford and thence to Salamanca, where he died in 1889. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 738

Surnames: FORD, WATERS, SALISBURY, FOOTE

Frank F. FORD is the son of Loren and the grandson of Jacob FORD, who was born in Vermont in 1788, where his father, Isaiah FORD, had been an early settler. Jacob married Abigail WATERS in 1808 and came to Cattaraugus county, settling in Franklinville when there were but three other families in that town. Children: Russell, Samuel, Loren, Harriet, David, Daniel, Nathan, Charles, Sarah, Permelia, and Mary. Loren was born in 1820 and married Jerusha SALISBURY; children: Judson, of Olean; Gatus, died aged eleven; Frank F.; and Sylvester. Loren FORD, always a farmer, came to Hinsdale in 1853, where he still lives. Frank F. FORD was born in New Hudson, Allegany county, in 1851, and was raised a farmer. In 1872 he married Judith, daughter of Rufus FOOTE, of Hinsdale, and the next year bought his present farm of 195 acres in Humphrey, building the house in which he now lives in 1892. Children: Ernest, born in 1872; Clara, born in 1876, died in 1878; and Glen G. C., born in 1884. A public spirited Republican he has served his town as collector and highway commissioner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 738

Surnames: GUTHRIE, SALISBURY, DU BOIS, ARMSTRONG, BROWN, HALE, PRATT, BANNISTER, MACK, WHITNEY, SILL, DUNNING

John B. GUTHRIE, son of Almon and Betsey (SALISBURY) and grandson of Benjamin GUTHRIE, was born in Smyrna, N. Y., Sept. 10, 1821. His father was born in the same town in 1799 and moved his family to Humphrey in 1824. Children: John B., Electa L., Mary A., Fanny E., Clarissa E., Edwin, and Eliza R. He settled on Wright's creek, sold his farm to Foster B. SALISBURY, and bought, lived, and died on land now owned by his son John B., who, when twenty-two years old, bought the first part of his present homestead. In 1849 he married Catharine V., daughter of Conrad DU BOIS, of New Hudson, N. Y., whose grandfather was a French nobleman. She was born in Ulster county in 1822. Children: Elizabeth (Mrs. Albert ARMSTRONG); Almon G. (married, in 1879, Mary BROWN, of Great Valley); Electa L. (married Edson HALE in 1880), died in 1892; and Conrad J., who married, in 1878, Caroline PRATT, of Kendall Creek, Pa.; children: Cora A. and Leslie C. John B. GUTHRIE has been assessor three terms, overseer of the poor, highway commissioner, constable, and collector, and a Republican since that party was organized. His father had an ashery in early times where he made black-salts, which were called "Jackson money."

Edwin GUTHRIE, son of Almon and Betsey (SALISBURY) GUTHRIE, was born on the homestead in Humphrey, Sept. 29, 1829, and is probably the oldest native of the town who still lives here. Betsey was the daughter of John SALISBURY, of Phelps, N, Y., and her mother was a sister of General BANNISTER. After the common schools at home, and eighteen weeks at Hinsdale in 1847, Edwin attended the Union School at Vienna at a time when it was broken up by small-pox. When twenty-eight years old he married Mary S., daughter of Elisha MACK, of Bath, N. Y. In 1858 he bought a part of the farm which is still his home. Children: Eveline M. (Mrs. Spencer WHITNEY), Franklin S., Ida (deceased), Edwin (married Carrie G. SILL), Elisha W. (married Callie DUNNING), Josephine B., Allen L., and Burdette J. Mr. GUTHRIE, originally a Republican, now a Prohibitionist, has served as commissioner of highways and for two terms as justice of the peace. He built and owns GUTHRIE hall.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Pages 738 & 739

Surnames: HITCHCOCK, COON, DYE, McCUNE, FORD, McWILLIAMS

Freeman HITCHCOCK is the son of Shadrach HITCHCOCK, who came from Rhode Island and settled in Fabius, N. Y. He married Betsey E. COON; children: Hannah, Polly, Harriet, James, Shadrach, Huldah, Nancy, Elisha, George, Betsey, Horace, and Freeman. Freeman HITCHCOCK was born in 1829, in Fabius, and when young came to Humphrey and lived a year with his brother James, who came here early. About 1858 he bought his present farm on the Five Mile tract and in 1860 he married Ann M., daughter of Dr. Henry W. DYE, of Humphrey. Their first children were twins, George and Isabel. The former, now of Humphrey, married Maggie McCUNE; children: John, George, and Marian. Isabel married Sylvester FORD, of Hinsdale; children: Lena and Leona. The next child, Myrtie, married Charles McWILLIAMS, of Olean; they have one child, Henry. Marion, their next child, died when five years old. The others are Katie B., Bessie E., Merriam H., William J., and Emma R.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 739

Surnames: LEANING, NEWMARCH, STONE, MURPHY, MOORE

Richard M. LEANING is the son of Richard LEANING, who married Mary NEWMARCH and came from Lincolnshire, Eng., in 1830, and settled in Otsego county. Children: Eliza, Elizabeth, William, John, Fanny, Mary, Rachel, Richard M., Helen, Wallace, and Lucina. Richard M. was born in Otsego county in 1834 and married, in 1853, Sarah, daughter of Theodore STONE, a pioneer of Mansfield, in which town Richard was a farmer from 1862 to 1870, when he bought his farm of 246 acres in Sugartown, where he now lives. Children: Marsella (Mrs. James MURPHY), deceased; Emmagrue, died when four years old; Frank, died at the age of fifteen; Emma, died when four years old; Nellie (Mrs. Charles K. MOORE), whose children are Erton L., Earl, Ada, and Anna; and Marsellus, of Ellicottville, whose children are Frank and Sarah. Mr. LEANING, a Democrat, has served six years as assessor and in 1886 was supervisor of Humphrey. He is a member of the Free Baptist church.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 739

Surnames: LEARN, SPRAGLE, ELY, PIERCE

George P. LEARN is the son of Joseph LEARN, who came from Northampton county, Pa., about 1825, and settled in the eastern part of Humphrey. He married Mary SPRAGLE of Northampton county. Children: Miles J., of Franklinville; Caleb, of Allegany; and George P., who was born in Humphrey in 1835. When Mr. LEARN first came to town his nearest neighbors east or west were three miles distant. Wild game was so plenty that he felt sure of shooting a deer whenever the family needed venison. He died in 1857 and his wife in 1872. George P. married Julia, daughter of David ELY, of Franklinville, in 1853. They have one child, William E., who married Bertha, daughter of Eugene F. PIERCE, of Humphrey. They settled at the Center and have one child, Vera. George P. LEARN, always a Republican, has filled most of the town offices in Humphrey; he was supervisor in 1880, 1882, 1883, and 1884.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 739

Surnames: LITCHFIELD, GREENO, COOPER

Leroy LITCHFIELD is the son of Orange LITCHFIELD, who was born in Bethany, N. Y., in 1807, where he married Presina GREENO. Children: Harvey, Mary, Hiram, Leroy, Lucia, Emogene, and Rinaldo. In 1831 he removed to Randolph, where he still lives and where Leroy was born in 1838. The latter learned his father's trade of blacksmithing, which he followed till 1862, when he enlisted as first lieutenant in Co. H, 154th N. Y. Vols., and was in the battles of Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. At the latter he was taken prisoner and for seventeen months suffered the tortures of Belle Isle, Libby, Andersonville, Savannah, and Milan prisons. Of sixteen comrade prisoners of Co. H, he was the only man who lived to rejoin his regiment, with which he served till the close of the war. He married, in 1866, Carrie D., daughter of John and Mary COOPER. Mr. LITCHFIELD is now the only living representative in Humphrey of the several COOPER families once so prominent and numerous here. Since the war Mr. LITCHFIELD has followed his trade at the Center except one year, when he was a merchant and deputy postmaster. He has for the past year and a half run a daily stage and carried the mail from Humphrey Center to Great Valley Center.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Pages 739 & 740

Surname: MARSH

Danforth MARSH raised seven sons and two daughters. Five of the sons – John, Cyrus, Ezra, William, and Staley – served honorably through the Rebellion and all came home alive. Staley was shot through the body at Cedar Mountain and is an invalid.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 740

Surnames: MATTESON, WICKHAM, McWILLIAMS, WELCH, BOZARD, DAY, McCLUER, TALBOT

George B. MATTESON was born in Pompey Hollow, N. Y., in 1834, from whence his father, Francis MATTESON, born in 1795, a son of Calvin, came in 1835 to Humphrey and died in 1862. Francis married Betsey WICKHAM. Children: Leroy W., William, Mary, Sarah, Layuern, Nelson, Richard, Ordelia, and George B. The latter grew up trained to all kinds of farm work, lumbering, making shingles, and tended saw-mill in many towns in Pennsylvania. He is one of the few living men who has cradled six acres of wheat or has made from the log 2,000 shingles in a day. He married, in 1855, Eliza Ann McWILLIAMS; children: Alonzo (died young), Elmer, Amy (who married Charles WELCH, of Allegany, and has children Jennie, Lida, and Cora), John (married Iva, daughter of Ashbel BOZARD), Olive (married John DAY and has children Ella and Margueritte), and Olive (who died when eighteen years old – ten days after her marriage to Robert McCLUER). Mr. MATTESON's second marriage was to Roxania TALBOT in 1882. He has lived on his present farm nearly forty years, has been assessor, and is a buyer of farm produce.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 740

Surnames: McKAY, BALL, JOHNSON, BURROUGHS, CHASE

Oscar L. McKAY is the great-grandson of Burnett McKAY, of Genesee county, whose son Silas moved from Middlebury, N. Y., and settled in Mansfield in 1825. Silas McKAY was the father of a noted family of nine sons, the eldest of whom, Liberius, the father of Oscar L., was born in Middlebury in 1819 and lived in Mansfield sixty-three years, dying there in 1888. By his first wife, Huldah BALL, he had three children, who all died young. By his second wife, Susan JOHNSON, of Ashford, his children were Oscar L. (born in 1839), Olive M., Martha A., Hanford, Eugene, and Louisa -- all dead but the oldest and the youngest. Oscar L. enlisted in 1861 and joined the army under General McClellan; he was in the battle of Fair Oaks, was taken sick, and was discharged in 1863. He came home and married, in 1863, Martha A., daughter of Hiram BURROUGHS, of Mansfield. Children: Lucy J. (Mrs. Manley CHASE), whose children are Ethel M. and Ralph; Grant D.; Glenn E.; and Bernette E. Mr. McKAY has lived on his present farm in Humphrey for twenty years and has served three terms on the Board of Excise.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 740

Surnames: McKOON, LUTHER, WILLIAMS, YOUNG, CRARY, HOWE

Newton C. McKOON is the son of Daniel W. and the grandson of Martin McKOON, of Vermont, whose father, of Scotch ancestry, was a lineal descendant from Martin LUTHER. Martin McKOON married Rhoba, daughter of John WILLIAMS, a noted Baptist preacher of Rhode Island and a descendant of Roger WILLIAMS. The children of Martin and Rhoba McKOON were in the sixth generation from Roger WILLIAMS and in the twelfth generation from Martin LUTHER. Daniel W. McKOON was born in Columbia, N.Y, in 1811, and married Jane YOUNG, of the same place; children: Newton C., Cyrus, Mary Jane, Albert, David, Helen, and Rhoba. He was a Free Baptist minister and came to Cattaraugus county in 1857, where he preached in Little Valley, Humphrey, and various other towns, and died in Olean in 1871. Newton C. McKOON was born in Columbia, N. Y., in 1836 and came to Humphrey in 1859, settling on the farm in Sugartown that is still his home. In 1864 he married Ann, daughter of Benjamin CRARY, who came in 1847 from Tompkins county to Sugartown, where he lived forty-three years and died in 1890. His wife was Rhoda HOWE; children: Lemie H., Ann, and Albert. Newton C. was educated at Ellington Academy and taught school twenty-five terms. He was school commissioner two terms from 1872 and from 1885, was town assessor in 1869, 1870, and 1871, and in connection with the management of his farm has been a dealer in agricultural implements.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 741

Surnames: MOSMAN, SWEET, GANUNG, WAGNER

Mathias MOSMAN is the son of William MOSMAN, who was born in Germany in 1801, came to America in 1847, and settled in Erie county, where he died in 1881. Mathias came to Humphrey in 1854 and worked by the month for Rufus and Gilbert SWEET, buying of the latter fifty acres of land in 1860. In 1862 he married Mary E., daughter of James GANUNG, Their eldest child, William J., married Gertrude WAGNER and has one child, Coral. Sarah A. and Charles B. MOSMAN, the two younger children, are at home. In 1864 Mr. MOSMAN enlisted in Co. A, 188th N. Y. Vols., and joined the Fifth Army Corps. He was in the Weldon Raid, the first and second Hatcher's Run battles, and was present at Lee's surrender. He was discharged at Arlington at the close of the war. Originally a Republican he was one of ten men who organized the Prohibition party in Cattaraugus county, to which he still belongs. He bought his present farm of eighty acres in 1868 and built his new house in 1882. He was a member of the first Excise Board in Humphrey and has been a deacon of the Baptist church fifteen years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 741

Surnames: O’BRIEN, DEVEREUX, QUIRK

William S. O’BRIEN is the son of Daniel and Teresa (DEVEREUX) O’BRIEN, who came from Ireland and settled on Bozard hill in 1849. Children: Ann, Eliza, Patrick, Matthew, James, Maria, and William S. The latter, born in 1850, married, in 1878, Nora M., daughter of Daniel QUIRK, one of the early settlers of Humphrey. William and his wife lived with his father till his death in 1885, when he sold the Bozard hill homestead and bought and built on his farm near Chapellsburg. Children: Daniel P., Francis J., William Leo, Ellen T., Teresa, Vincent A., Stephen P., and Ruth M. Mr. O’BRIEN served as Democratic supervisor in 1890, 1891, and 1892, and reduced the valuation $40,000.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 741

Surnames: PIERCE, FOSMER, WOODRUFF, NORTH, BERRY, CANADA, BARNARD, SILL, CORTHELL, LINDERMAN, LEARN

Harvey A. PIERCE is the son of Lyartus PIERCE, who was born near Boston in 1795, and the grandson of Caleb PIERCE, who was born in Hancock, Mass., in 1768, came to Fabius, N. Y., and died in 1838. Lyartus married Catharine FOSMER, of Fabius, and came to Humphrey in 1835, settling on Bozard hill on lot 6. Children: Henry B., Hiram, Harrison, Angeline, Harvey W., Harlow, Adeline, and Julia. Harvey was born in Fabius in 1830, was reared a farmer, and married, in 1852, Mary, daughter of Charles C. WOODRUFF, of Humphrey; children: Fremont C. (died at the age of seventeen), Fred F., Jessie (Mrs. Samuel NORTH), Laura (Mrs. Frank BERRY), Charles S. (born May 16, 1870, now a merchant at Humphrey and town clerk), and Mary L. (who died young). Charles S. PIERCE married Emma, daughter of Myron CANADA, who died in 1872 from exposure in the army. H. A. PIERCE bought on lot 14 in 1852 and was a farmer for the next twenty years. In 1872 he opened a store at Chapellsburg and three years later built the store which he kept till 1892, when his son Charles S. became his partner, and he moved to his farm at the Center. During all these years Mr. PIERCE has been one of the most active business men in town, and has served two years as town clerk, two terms as overseer of the poor, five full terms as justice, and as postmaster under Garfield.

Eugene F. PIERCE is the son of Income S. PIERCE, who came from Fabius, N. Y., in 1836 and settled on the farm of 131 acres where his son now lives. He married, in 1822, Louisa BARNARD, of Fabius; children: William B., John O. (deceased), Mary S. (Mrs. Samuel SILL), Urial J. (deceased), Ashbel A., Caroline A. (Mrs. Clinton CORTHELL), and Gordon C. and jasper N. (both deceased). E. F. PIERCE was born in Humphrey in 1844 and married Emeline LINDERMAN in 1865. Children: Bertha G. (Mrs. W. E. LEARN), Charles A., Alonzo, Urial J., and Addie L. Mr. PIERCE's father died in 1851 and his mother in 1891. Besides farming he deals in butter, eggs, and farm produce.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 742

Surnames: REED, CRARY, CAMPBELL, SPENCER, HALE, CHICKERING

Mrs. Caroline C. REED is the daughter of Dr. Augustus CRARY (p. 125), whose grandfather, William CRARY, of Wallingford, Vt., was the son of William CRARY, of Scotch extraction, born in 1712, married Nancy CAMPBELL, and died in 1790. His son William, born in 1759, married Sarah Ann, daughter of Benjamin SPENCER, an eminent Quaker lawyer who lost 1,000 acres of land and a large amount of live stock and household goods by command of Gen. Ethan Allen during the Revolutionary war because he would not consent to go to war himself, although he sent into the army all of his sons who were old enough. William came to Dryden, N. Y., at an early day. His son Augustus was born in Vermont in 1788, became a physician, married Priscilla HALE in 1809, and came to Yorkshire in 1827 and to Ellicottville in 1831. Children: Caroline, Clark, Hale, Archibald, Jane, and Eugene, the latter and Mrs. REED being the only survivors. Caroline married Dr. Calvin CHICKERING in 1831, who came to Humphrey in 1836, where he died in 1846. In 1847 she married Dr. Virgil REED, who practiced in Humphrey until his death in 1866. Their only child, Frank Hamilton, born in 1849, died in 1876. Mrs. REED joined the Methodist Episcopal church in 1839, to which she has been devotedly attached, giving to her own society over $4,000 and to the Methodist Society in Franklinville $2,000. She was born in 1810.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 742

Surnames: RIDER, LOTHRIDGE, JEWETT, MORRIS, FOY

John A. RIDER is the son of Henry RIDER, of Massachusetts, who settled in Buffalo in 1820 and married Hattie LOTHRIDGE. Children: Elbridge G., William, Henry H., Roderick, and John A. -- all dead but the last two. Henry RIDER was a carpenter and house builder, and his son John A. also grew up a mechanic and became a ship carpenter. Buffalo, from 1835 to 1855, was celebrated for its ship yards, in which Mr. RIDER worked on many noted boats, among which were the Queen City, Niagara, Buffalo, City of Buffalo, and the Western Metropolis, all of them side-wheel steamers running to Chicago. He married, in 1840, Melissa JEWETT; children: Agnes (Mrs. Jerome MORRIS), Clara, and John A. Mr. RIDER's second marriage was to Sarah FOY in 1866. The same year he came to Humphrey and bought his present farm of 154 acres. They have one son, Egbert F., born in 1872. Mr. RIDER was a member of the Board of Health in Buffalo during the cholera season of 1858.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Pages 742 & 743

Surnames: SHERMAN, KING, CHAPELL, TASKER, MORRIS, MILLS, SHEPARD, BRYANT

William J. SHERMAN is the son of Peter Castle SHERMAN, who was born in Charlotte, Vt., and was a descendant of Roger SHERMAN, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Peter C. married Cynthia KING, of English descent, who died in 1843. He died in 1865. William J. was born in Mt. Pleasant, Pa., in 1830, and went to Honesdale, Pa., in 1847, where he learned the tinner's trade. In 1850 he entered the employ of the Erie railroad as fireman on an engine. One day when the engineer was sick he drew the first car-load of timber for the celebrated Portage bridge. In 1853 he became an engineer, and left the Erie in 1855, went west, and was employed as engineer on a portion of what is now the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy railroad in Illinois. On one of his regular trips, drawing a passenger train his engine sank in the Mississippi Bottom marsh, four miles from Burlington, injuring him so that he was disabled for a year. It was five weeks before the engine was raised from the mud. In 1861 he returned and ran a passenger engine on the Erie until 1874, when he quit railroading. Since that time he has been a farmer and a hotel keeper in Humphrey in the same hotel opened by Russell CHAPELL more than half a century ago. Mr. SHERMAN is a very intelligent representative of the few remaining and fast decreasing force of veteran Erie engineers, rich in experience of the early days of railroading. He married, in 1853, Jane TASKER, of Little Valley, who died in 1863, leaving a nephew as an adopted son, now Charles T. SHERMAN, of Evansville, Ind. William J. SHERMAN's second marriage was in 1866 to Charlotte MORRIS, who was born in Hinsdale in 1839. Children: L. Mary, Romaine A., William B., and Annette L. Mrs. SHERMAN is the only daughter of William S. and Phebe P. MORRIS. William S. MORRIS was the son of Samuel and Charlotte (MILLS) MORRIS, of Cazenovia, N. Y. Mrs. MORRIS was the stepdaughter of Jacob and Phebe SHEPARD. She was born in 1803 in Schenectady, N. Y., and was married in 1819 to Edward BRYANT, of Great Valley, where he died in 1823. Her second marriage was to William S. MORRIS in 1828, who died in Humphrey in 1868, aged seventy-one years. His wife died in 1882, aged seventy-nine years. Russell CHAPELL died in Humphrey in 1857, aged eighty-two years. His wife Phebe died in 1863, aged eighty-three years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 743

Surnames: STONE, UTTER, COE, BACON, NUDD, WILBER, KENNEDY, STIMSON, OLMSTED

Russel STONE is the son of Alexander and grandson of Alexander STONE, both of Otsego county. His father married Nancy UTTER and removed his family to Warsaw, Livingston county, where Russel was born in 1819, and in 1833 he came to Cattaraugus county and settled in Mansfield. Children: Mason, Nancy, Russel, Annis, Huldah, and Esther. Russel was a carpenter by trade, married Harriet COE, and settled in Humphrey in 1851, where he has since been a farmer. Of their children Benjamin, the eldest, entered the army and died in the service; Albert married Mary BACON in 1875 and has children Truman and Blanche; Eleanor (Mrs. Gale NUDD), of Humphrey, married, first, Milo WILBER, by whom she had one child, Gertrude; Chester married Elvira KENNEDY, who has one child, Clarence; Rose (Mrs. Martin WILBER), of Humphrey, has one child, Forrest; Ida (Mrs. George STIMSON) has children Hattie, Jennie, Mabel, and Floyd; and Homer married Alice OLMSTED, has one child, Lewis, and resides in Yorkshire. Mr. STONE has lived on his present farm of seventy acres since 1862. His wife died in 1875.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Pages 743 & 744

Surnames: SWEET, PERRY, TRAIN, BOZARD, REED, BERRY, MANNING, SOUTHWICK, SHERWOOD, BOWEN

Rufus S. SWEET was the son of Samuel SWEET, who was born in Rhode Island in 1794 and settled in Hartwick, N. Y., where he was foreman in a cotton factory and a preacher in the Christian denomination. He married Hannah PERRY; children: Gilbert C., Sylvester D., Susan S., Mary A., Rufus S., Abel P., Maria E., and James J. In 1817 he removed to Erie county, N. Y., where he died in 1863. Rufus SWEET, his father, was born in England in 1763 and died in 1820. Rufus S. SWEET, born in Otsego county in 1826, married Betsey TRAIN, of Collins, N. Y., in 1851, and in 1854 bought for $1,300 and settled on 350 acres of wild land in Humphrey, one hill of which is the highest point in Cattaraugus county. He built a log house and in 1870 his present residence. The best pine trees had been stolen for rails before he bought the land, but from what were left he made and sold over half a million shingles. His nearest neighbor was Richard BOZARD. In 1860 his brother, Gilbert C. SWEET, settled on Cooper hill. Children: Patience S. (Mrs. William REED), Henry G. (married Adeline BERRY and died in 1860), Luella (Mrs. A. H. MANNING), Samuel (married Jennie SOUTHWICK and lives on the old homestead), and R. Lincoln (married Ola SHERWOOD). Mrs. SWEET was the daughter of Elisha TRAIN, who was born in Vermont in 1792, and married Lois BOWEN, of Deerfield, Pa. Their second son, William H. TRAIN, came to Humphrey in 1876 and has taught school in every district in town. Spencer, a younger son, lost his life in the Rebellion. Originally a Republican Mr. SWEET is now a Prohibitionist and in religious faith he has always been a staunch Universalist. Gilbert C. SWEET was supervisor of Humphrey in 1870 and 1872.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 744

Surnames: THOMAS, McKOON, CHASE, CHAPMAN, BOWEN, DAVIS

Charles THOMAS was born in Ellicottville in 1828, where his father, Isaac THOMAS, from Albany, N. Y., settled in 1820, removing in 1829 to the farm now owned by Newton C. McKOON in Sugartown. He married Eunice CHASE, of Humphrey; children: Laura, George, Charles, lra, Henry, Lucena, Elizabeth, Jennette, and Shepard, of whom three are dead. Charles married, in 1856, Sarah, daughter of Ichabod CHAPMAN; children: Lillie S., Hattie E. (Mrs. Otis BOWEN, of Randolph, who has two children), Lillie (Mrs. Lewis BOWEN, who has five children), William W. (who died eight years old), and Mark T. (married Ella DAVIS and has one child, Mildred). Charles THOMAS, in religious belief a Seventh Day Adventist and in politics a Republican, has been two terms overseer of the poor and five terms highway commissioner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 744

Surnames: WHITLOCK, TROWBRIDGE, HOLLISTER, LINDERMAN

Stanley M. WHITLOCK is the son of William WHITLOCK, a soldier who was shot in the army, and the grandson of Thomas WHITLOCK, who settled in Ischua from Ithaca, N. Y., about 1830, William WHITLOCK married Eliza, daughter of Dr. James TROWBRIDGE; children: Euzetta (Mrs. Ernest HOLLISTER), Stanley M., Clara (Mrs. Lester LINDERMAN), and Henry. Stanley WHITLOCK was born in 1853, was reared on a farm, married Dora LINDERMAN in 1877, and came to Humphrey and settled on his present farm of eighty-four acres in 1879. Children: Ray, Clair, and Bessie. Mr. WHITLOCK is active in town affairs and is now filling the office of assessor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Page 744

Surnames: WHITNEY, WARNER, HOWE, HAGGERTY, MAHER

Charles E. WHITNEY is the son of Joseph M. WHITNEY, of Penn Yan, N. Y., who came to Sardinia, N. Y., and in 1843 married Arabella H. WARNER, of Ashford. After living in East Otto and Ashford Hollow they settled in Great Valley in 1853, where Mrs. WHITNEY died in 1865. She was born in Keene, N. H., a daughter of Jerry and Phebe (HOWE) WARNER, of Scotch descent. Their children were Charles E., Eliza F., Warner J., Sarah E., Julia A., Spencer L., Fred M., Frank B. and George. Charles E. was born in 1845, in Sardinia, grew up on the farm with the usual common school advantages, and at the age of seventeen enlisted in Co. I, 154th N. Y. Vols., and joined the Army of the Potomac, fighting under McClellan, Burnside, Hooker, and Meade. In the battle of Chancellorsville he was severely wounded in his left thigh, after which he was captured and remained three days on the field, constantly under fire, without food or medical attention. After two weeks' imprisonment and eight months in the hospital he returned to his regiment and at Rocky Face Ridge, Ga., in 1864, was again captured and confined in Andersonville and other rebel prisons seven months, weighing but eighty-five pounds when he came out. He did no more active duty, is still lame in his shattered thigh, and receives a small pension. He married, in 1871, Sarah E., daughter of William C. HAGGERTY, of Humphrey. They settled in Kansas, where he was postmaster and justice of the peace ten years and also filled other town offices. Poor health brought them back in 1863 to this town, where his father had settled in 1866, and where he died in 1880. Children: Clara A. (Mrs. Frank H. MAHER), Julia E., Fred H. (died in Kansas), Marian E., and Fannie A. Mr. WHITNEY has always been a Republican and is now justice of the peace.

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Humphrey – Chapter XXXII (32)

Pages 744 & 745

Surnames: WILBER, KINYON, BENNETT, RAUB, BARBER

Barber WILBER was born in Fabius, N. Y., in 1812, whither his father, Freeman WILBER, removed at an early, day from Rhode Island. Freeman was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. He married Mercy KINYON; their sons were Kinyon, Freeman, Alanson, Robert, Amasa, Nathan, and Barber, all of whom came to Humphrey about 1830 and settled on the Five Mile tract, which is still largely peopled with their descendants. Barber WILBER married Mary BENNETT in 1840; children: Caroline (Mrs. David RAUB, who has one child, Nellie), Angeline, Milo, Maria, Corydon, Louisa, Stanley, and Olivia. The latter married Alonzo BARBER and has one son, Henry. Four of these eight children -- Angeline, Maria, Corydon, and Louisa -- died in 1865, in one month, of diphtheria. Of the remainder all except Mrs. RAUB are living with their father. When clearing his farm of 100 acres, on which Mr. WILBER has lived for over half a century, he made black-salts and shingles.
 

Back To Cattaraugus County


If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact me at:

Painted Hills

This page is maintained by the PHGS
 Last Update January 25, 2004

© 2002 by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society
Main | Email Us | Look-Ups | Members Family Pages
Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer

Website designed by Frankie Stonemetz
2002© Painted Hills Genealogy Society
All Rights Reserved