TOWN OF HINSDALE

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES FROM: "HISTORICAL GAZETTEER AND BIOGRAPHICAL MEMORIAL of CATTARAUGUS COUNTY, NY, ed by WILLIAM ADAMS, Published 1893
 
 

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Pages 709 & 710

Surnames: BANDFIELD, MARSH, JONES, MURRAY, BOWEN, SESSIONS, DOUD

George D. BANDFIELD, of English descent and New England stock, was born in Caneadea, N. Y., in 1811. His father died soon afterward and in 1813 his mother came to Hinsdale. At the age of fourteen he was a raftsman and at sixteen was a river pilot, which he continued until 1867. He bought a farm of 214 acres in Oil creek valley which he sold for oil purposes in 1865, and the ensuing year he purchased a farm of 128 acres on Olean creek, where he died in Feb., 1892. He was interested in military and town affairs, was captain of militia, and was familiarly known as "Captain Den." He was highway commissioner and assessor a long time and justice of the peace eight years. He was a prominent Mason and was buried with Masonic honors. About 1835 he married Orpha S. MARSH, who died in Jan., 1866. He married, second, Harriet E. JONES. Children: Orpha A. (Mrs. Charles D. MURRAY), George H., Nelson D., and Frances E. (Mrs. Calvin R. BOWEN).

George H. BANDFIELD was born May 18, 1841. He graduated from Rushford Academy and taught common schools three terms. In Aug., 1862, he enlisted in the Marine Corps and served sixteen months on board the Vanderbilt, and visited Rio Janerio, Sidney in Australia, Cape Colony, and the West India Islands. In 1864 he was transferred to the U. S. ship Brooklyn and served in the Gulf Squadron under Admiral Farragut. He was also with Admiral Porter at the siege of Fort Fisher. He engaged in the hardware and tin trade in 1866 and in 1867 was elected town clerk, holding the office six years, and represented Hinsdale as supervisor in 1873 and 1874. In 1876 he was elected justice of the peace and has since held that position. In 1866 he married Eleanor, daughter of David SESSIONS. She died March 14, 1879. Children: Ellen (Mrs. Orrin DOUD), Franc E., C. Dow, and Blanche B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 710

Surnames: BEERS, WITHEY, JOHNSON, OSMUN

John H. BEERS, son of Wakeman and Clarinda (WITHEY) BEERS, was born in Bolivar, N. Y., in 1860. He was raised on his father's farm and was educated in the common schools and in Friendship Academy. He came to Hinsdale with his parents in 1882 and settled on the farm in Pleasant valley he now owns. His father died in Bolivar in 1888, where Mrs. BEERS resides. Beginning in the fall of 1888 John H. had one year in the grocery trade and in conducting a meat market with D. E. JOHNSON. Mr. BEERS is serving his second term on the Board of Education. He is a contributor to the Methodist church and votes the Democratic ticket. In March, 1887, he married Addie E., daughter of Lovinus and Minerva OSMUN.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 710

Surnames: BENHAM, COLMAN, HORTWICK, ADAMS, PIXLEY, PARKER

Roswell BENHAM, a native of Vermont, was born Jan. 3, 1794, and died in Nov., 1871. He came from Ohio to Haskel Flats in Hinsdale about 1830 and settled near where his son Alden now lives. He reared eight children. His wife was Lucinda COLMAN, whom he married Jan. 9, 1817. His son Alden was born in Locke, N. Y., Dec. 5, 1820, married Lydia A. HORTWICK, and first settled in Ellisburgh, N. Y., where he was a farmer. In 1835 he returned to the Haskel neighborhood. About 1874 Mrs. BENHAM died. Children: Josephine (Mrs. Albert ADAMS), Eunice (Mrs. Melvin PIXLEY), Lewis, and Ezra. In Sept., 1886, Alden BENHAM married Mrs. Hannah A. PARKER.

Lucius BENHAM, son of Roswell, was born in Reading, N. Y., Nov. 4, 1831, and married Rosina PIXLEY, July 9, 1876, who was born in Farmersville, May 11, 1846. Mr. BENHAM remained with his parents until their decease. His children are Theda M., Edith O., Clayton L., and Nellie Pearl.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 710

Surnames: BURTON, MIX, REYNOLDS

Varnum BURTON was born in Ulysses, N. Y., July 11, 1808. His father, Isaiah BURTON, a native of Hopkinton, R. I., was a Revolutionary soldier. Varnum married, in Dryden, N. Y., Sylvinia MIX, and first settled there as a farmer. They came to Hinsdale, where he arrived with his wife and three children Feb. 9, 1841. Since then he has been a farmer. He has raised eight children. George W., his oldest child, was born in Dryden, N. Y., June 14, 1833 and married Phebe REYNOLDS, July 6, 1854. He is a farmer and mechanic. Children: Eliza, George, Willis, James , Ella, Fred, and Bela.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Pages 710 & 711

Surnames: BURTON, MILLER

Franklin M. BURTON, a native of Hinsdale, born May 23, 1843, enlisted in March, 1864, in Co. D, 179th N. Y. Vols., and at Elmira was detailed for service in the general hospital, where he was engaged about thirteen months, and where he was disabled in his right hand by poison. He is a pensioner. In the fall of 1865 he married Mary, daughter of John MILLER. Children: a daughter and a son.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 711

Surnames: CASEY, FOLEY, SKINNER

John T. CASEY, a native of Ireland, was born Feb. 7, 1835. In 1849 he emigrated to America with his parents, four brothers, and two sisters, and settled on a farm near Oil creek in Hinsdale. At the age of twenty-one he married Margaret FOLEY and became a section foreman on the Erie railroad. He died Oct. 25, 1889. He had a good education, was well versed in music, and was a fine violinist. He was overseer of the poor three consecutive years. Children: Josephine (Mrs. C. SKINNER), Nora E., Timothy, Mary J., Rev. John.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 711

Surnames: CHERRYMAN, JENNER, HACKETT, MINER, OLDER, ROBESON, LEONARD

Rev. Reuben CHERRYMAN, son of William and Elizabeth (JENNER) CHERRYMAN, was born in Linfield, England, Aug. 31, 1814. In 1824 his parents with their family emigrated to America in a sailing vessel, coming to Pittsford, N. Y. Reuben remained with them until 1834, when he came to Ischua (then a part of Hinsdale) and settled on a farm of 100 acres on Yankee hill. Dec. 13, 1834, he married Hannah M. HACKETT, who was born in Plymouth, N. Y., Dec. 6, 1811. He was finally licensed to preach by the Baptist church of Hinsdale, and preached in the school houses and occasionally in barns in the surrounding neighborhoods. He studied with Rev. Absalom MINER at Rushford about two years and was ordained an elder in the Cattaraugus Baptist Association at Rushford in 1841, of which he has been corresponding secretary nearly thirty years. He has been pastor of the Baptist churches at Farmersville, Richburg, East Otto, and Scott's Corners, where he settled in 1862, and where he was first licensed to preach. After a pastorate of sixteen years with this church he resigned and is now retired. Children: Harriet E. (Mrs. Myron OLDER), Emerancy A. (Mrs. J. E. ROBESON), and Ann Augusta (Mrs. P. A. LEONARD).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 711

Surnames: CONRAD, HAWLEY

John CONRAD, a native of Pennsylvania, came from Tompkins county to Dutch hill in Hinsdale about 1822 with his wife, seven sons, and four daughters. He purchased 320 acres, which he subsequently sold, and settled on Haskel flats, where he died. His second son, Daniel, born in 1804, married Mary HAWLEY and settled on 100 acres of the original 320. He had eleven children. He died in 1865 and his wife in 1884.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 711

Surnames: FARWELL, JACKSON

Abram M. FARWELL, born in Fitchburg, Mass., Nov. 28, 1780, married in Brookline, Lydia JACKSON in 1800, who was born Oct. 8, 1780. In 1814 he came as a peddler to Hinsdale and articled 400 acres of pine timber land on Ischua creek north of Scott's Corners, where he built a log cabin, and then returned to Massachusetts. In 1815 he came with his wife and eight children and his goods in two heavy wagons, and was accompanied by three millwrights. He constructed a saw-mill, and his mill-pond eventually became a reservoir for the Genesee Valley canal. Mr. FARWELL was first a Democrat and cast his first vote for Thomas Jefferson; he joined the Republican party and voted last for Lincoln. He died Jan. 12, 1868. Mrs. FARWELL survived him until Jan. 3, 1874. Only four of their ten children are living; their six daughters were all teachers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Pages 711 & 712

Surnames: FAY, SHAVER, PEAKE

Benjamin M. FAY came to Hinsdale in his childhood. The family settled in the neighborhood known as FAY hollow. Benjamin was an expert hunter, and was a farmer and a lumberman. He married Phebe A. SHAVER (deceased) and had four children. Their daughter Louisa married Spencer S. PEAKE, a farmer and milk dealer. Children: E. Earle, Lua A., Lilla E., and Mearl B.

Mr. PEAKE enlisted in Co. K, 85th N. Y. Vols. in April, 1861, served three years, and re-enlisted as a veteran in the same regiment. He was a prisoner twelve months, was wounded at the battle of Plymouth, N. C., and was promoted second lieutenant.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 712

Surnames: GILE, CLARK, BROWNSON, LELAND, DAVIS, NEWVILLE, FAY, MAY, WOOD, BURLINGAME, LEARN, RAUB, ADAMS

Martin L. GILE came to Hinsdale from Groton, N. Y., in April, 1850, with his wife and seven children, settling where he now lives. During his long life he has assisted in building five Methodist churches. He has been three times married and the father of thirteen children; ten of them are Adaline (only child by his first marriage) married S. G. CLARK; Permelia C. (Mrs. Dr. Ira BROWNSON and now Mrs. W. O. LELAND); Martha (Mrs. George W. DAVIS), deceased; Adelia C. (Mrs. M. F. NEWVILLE); Almira C. (Mrs. S. A. FAY); Merritt A.; Caroline A. (Mrs. L. R. MAY), deceased; Clara P. (Mrs. S. M. WOOD); Orthello P. (married Mary BURLINGAME); William R. (only child of his present wife).

Merritt A. GILE was born in Groton, N. Y., Dec. 3, 1848, and came to Hinsdale with his parents in 1850. He was educated in the common schools and reared a farmer. In 1864 he enlisted in the U. S. navy, serving on the ship Undine at Paducah at the mouth of the Tennessee river. Two weeks later they were attacked by Gen. Hood's army. The commanding officer and several others were killed, and the vessel was captured, but the crew escaped by wading to the opposite shore and tramping 160 miles through the woods, rejoining their squadron at Mound City at the mouth of the Ohio river. Mr. GILE was present at the evacuation of Mobile and was often under fire. Since returning home he has been a farmer adjoining his father. He is a staunch Republican and has served as assessor six consecutive years. He was one of the organizers of the Union Free School of the village and is a member of the Board of Education. He and his wife are members of the Methodist church, of which he is a trustee and the recording steward. May 3, 1867, he married Viola M., daughter of Jeremiah and Lovina (LEARN) RAUB; children: Edith L. (Mrs. Alexander ADAMS), Catherine A., Fred M., Thenia M., and Vincent H.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 712

Surnames: GOULD, SMITH, GAGE, SHERWIN

Jesse W. GOULD, born in Barton, Vt., June 25, 1797, married in Irasburgh, Vt., Sally SMITH, who was born there Aug. 12, 1794. In 1825 they came to Hinsdale, settling on Ischua creek, where he owned a saw-mill and was also a farmer. In 1839 he bought a farm in Franklinville on Ischua creek where Mrs. GOULD died April 14, 1846. He died in Potter county, Pa., Dec. 22, 1859. Only four of their ten children are living: Euphemia (Mrs. Horace GAGE), Abner, Horace, and James M. The latter was born in Hinsdale in 1832, and has a farm on Olean creek. Sept. 28, 1859, he married Sophia, daughter of Sylvester SHERWIN; children living: Lucy L., Emmett M., Leona E.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Pages 712 & 713

Surnames: HANEY, CLAREY, GOULD

Moses HANEY, son of Archibald, a Revolutionary soldier, was a native of Berks county, Pa., was born in 1802 and married Laura CLAREY, a native of Leverette, Mass., who was born in 1801. They first settled in Le Roy. In 1839 they removed to Hinsdale and settled on Oil creek. In 1840 they removed to the "Locks" near Scott's Corners. Mr. HANEY was a mason and also conducted an ashery, where he manufactured potash and pearlash. He carried the first mail from Olean to Jersey Shore, and was a week making the round trip on horseback; he made regular trips for over eleven years. He was a farmer the last twenty-five years of his life. He and Mrs. HANEY were members of the Presbyterian church of Cuba. He was an old line Whig and later a Republican. He died Feb. 5, 1882; she died Feb. 19, 1866. Children: Amelia, born in 1836, married William W. GOULD, Sept. 14, 1862; William J., born Sept. 14, 1839, enlisted in 1861 in the 85th N. Y. Vols., served through the war, was captured at Plymouth, N. C., was incarcerated in Andersonville and Florence prisons, and is now a locomotive engineer; Stanley H., born in 1845, went to Kansas in 1868 and became division superintendent of the Topeka & Santa Fe railroad, and died in California in 1887; and a son who died in infancy. Sept. 1, 1862, William M. GOULD enlisted in Co. I, 154th N., Y. Vols., leaving his bride a week after his marriage to go to the front. Being disabled by exposure he was sent to the hospital, where he died Jan. 23, 1864.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 713

Surnames: HEDDEN, JOHNSON, BROWN, WITTER, ROOD

Amos Lampson HEDDEN, son of Martin, was born in 1809. His father was an early settler and a farmer near East Lansing, N. Y. Amos L. married, in Tyrone, N. Y., Maria JOHNSON in 1832, and in the spring of 1833 he brought his bride to his home at Haskel Flats. He had purchased 100 acres of woodland in Clarkson, Allegany county. When he arrived he found that the "great tornado" had passed over his lot and swept down in a body three-quarters of his purchase. The fallen timber dried, burned, and in three or four years he had good crops of grain. In 1846 he had added lands adjoining in Hinsdale, on which he built what was known as the red house, where he spent the remainder of his life. He served as justice of the peace about five years. Both were members of the Baptist church. He died on Nov. 5, 1868, and Mrs. HEDDEN on Sept. 20, 1881. Children: Sarah J. (Mrs. James BROWN), died at Haskel Flats in April, 1879; John, born April 10, 1837, married Matilda WITTER, Dec. 21, 1858, who was born Feb. 25, 1838, and settled on the old homestead, and has four sons and four daughters: Almira (Mrs. Samuel ROOD); and William H. H. John HEDDEN's daughters and oldest son are members of the Baptist church and he has been one of the deacons ten years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 713

Surnames: HOSLEY, WALKER, SNYDER, ADAMS

Jefferson HOSLEY is a native of Massachusetts and was born April 12, 1817. He married Electa WALKER in 1840 and in 1841 came from Friendship to Haskel Flats in Hinsdale, settling on the farm where they now live. He purchased 100 acres at $3.50 per acre and has cleared 300 acres, planted orchards, and aided in building school houses and the church edifice in his neighborhood. He has served his town as assessor and highway commissioner, and in politics is a Republican. He is the senior deacon of the Baptist church of Haskel Flats. Children: Cady R.; Henry C., born Oct. 24, 1845; and A. Warner, born in 1848, died at the age of twenty-six.

Cady R. HOSLEY, son of Jefferson, was born April 23, 1842. He is an extensive farmer. Feb. 19, 1863, he married Elizabeth J. SNYDER, who was born July 18, 1845. Children: Philip Sheridan (a graduate of the Westbrook Commercial College), Luella M, (Mrs. Joel ADAMS), Edgar R., Mabel Electa.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Pages 713 & 714

Surnames: JUDD, LEWIS, DIGGENS, JONES, CLARK, HATCH, FINLEY, ARMSTRONG, McDONALD, GOULD, WOOD

The JUDD family in America descends from Thomas JUDD, who came from England to Cambridge, Mass., in 1633 or 1634. In 1636 he removed to Hartford, Conn., and about 1644 again removed to Farmington, where he was one of the eighty-four original proprietors of that township. Thomas JUDD was one of the first two deputies who represented Farmington in the general court in May, 1647. He was a deacon of the church and familiarly styled Deacon JUDD. He had six sons and three daughters. His fourth son, Benjamin JUDD, born about 1642, married Mary, daughter of Capt. William LEWIS, of Farmington. He had three sons and five daughters, and died in 1689. Jonathan, youngest son of Benjamin, baptized Sept. 22, 1688, married Hannah DIGGENS, Nov. 27, 1712, settled in East Middlebury in 1716, and died Aug. 28, 1725. Jonathan JUDD's posterity are very numerous. He had five sons and three daughters. His youngest child, Daniel JUDD, was born Oct. 10, 1724, lived in Colchester, married Lydia JONES, March 14, 1751, and died Oct. 23, 1807. He was twice married and had eight sons and two daughters.

Daniel JUDD, Jr., first son of Daniel JUDD, married Mehitable CLARK, Nov. 13, 1771, settled in Colchester, was in trade in Marlborough in 1783, and about 1800 removed to Pompey, N. Y., where he died in 1830. He had four sons and five daughters. Daniel Clark JUDD, first son of Daniel Jr., was born Oct. 18, 1772, married Debby HATCH, Sept. 9, 1796, who died June 19, 1816, and in Dec., 1816, married, second, widow Jerusha FINLEY. After his first marriage he successively resided in Williamstown, Mass., Pompey, Bergen, and Middlebury, N.Y., and died with his son David in Warsaw, N.Y., in 1850 or 1851. He had been a joiner, farmer, and surveyor and had seven sons and six daughters. Daniel JUDD, fifth son of Daniel Clark JUDD, was born in Pompey, N. Y., Sept. 27, 1807, married Hannah A. ARMSTRONG, May 3, 1843, who was born in Lansing, Cayuga county, March 29, 1818, and settled at once in the village of Hinsdale. Mr. JUDD was an energetic and enterprising business man. He was an extensive contractor in the construction of canals and railroads and also conducted a general mercantile business. He was also an inventor and patentee of several machines, among them being a valuable excavator used by him and his son. He died Oct. 1, 1877. Mrs. JUDD survives and resides on the homestead, where she settled in 1843. Children: Ellen M. (Mrs. Rev. D. F. McDONALD), deceased, Ethan Allen, and Charles. D. Ethan Allen JUDD, born Oct. 25, 1843, was a merchant's clerk in Hinsdale and in Olean for twelve years, and since then he has been either foreman or contractor on public works. Oct. 17, 1872, he married Neola P., daughter of John H. GOULD, of Hinsdale. Charles D. JUDD, born Sept. 4, 1852, married Flora, daughter of Hon. S. N. WOOD, and is assistant cashier of the First National Bank of Olean.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 714

Surnames: LEARN, MOYER, RAUB, GREEN, HEAD, BABCOCK, KENYON

Jacob LEARN, of German descent, was born in Easton, Pa., Aug. 10, 1794. He married Catharine MOYER and in March, 1824, came to Ischua and settled where Frank A. LEARN now resides. He and his brother George bought on a single contract 320 acres which they divided into two equal parts. This contract was given to the Holland Land Company, and when their successors attempted to force its collection it precipitated the famous Dutch Hill war. Jacob LEARN died Feb. 24, 1884; Mrs. LEARN died five years earlier. Children: two died in infancy; Thomas enlisted in the Union army and lost his right arm at the battle of Fair Oaks; Lovina (Mrs. Jeremy RAUB) died Dec. 27, 1891; John C. married Miss Keziah GREEN, lived on the homestead, and in Aug., 1884, removed to his present home; Peter is a dentist and farmer in South Dakota; Margaret (Mrs. Frederick HEAD); Jacob, Jr., served under Grant at the siege of Vicksburg and died on a transport of typhoid fever; Reuben is a dentist in San Francisco; Albertus married the daughter of George LEARN and died in Nov., 1890; and Morris enlisted in the Union army in 1864, and married Rosa BABCOCK and, second, Hattie KENYON. John C. LEARN enlisted in 1864 in the 188th N. Y. Vols., and was discharged in June, 1865. He was at Petersburg and before Richmond and saw General Lee surrender.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Pages 714 & 715

Surnames: LELAND, PIERCE

William O. LELAND, son of Asa, is a native of East Otto and was born May 4, 1827. He was educated in the common schools and in Hinsdale Academy, and taught the district school at Haskel Flats one term. In 1846 he began mercantile business, which he has continued with partners and alone to the present time. About 1866 with his oldest son, he organized a private bank at Springville, which in 1884 they changed to a national bank with a capital of $50,000, of which Mr. LELAND and his sons now own the controlling interest, the name being the First National Bank of Springville. The officers are W. O. LELAND, president; H. G. LELAND, vice-president; E. O. LELAND, cashier; F. D. LELAND, assistant cashier; and F. W. LELAND, teller. Mr. LELAND served as a Republican representative of Hinsdale on the Board of Supervisors in 1858, was postmaster twenty-four years and deputy postmaster four years, and has served as a delegate at the district, county, congressional, and State conventions. His children are four sons and Gertie A. (Mrs. M. E. PIERCE).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 715

Surnames: LINDERMAN, WHITLOCK, HYDE, WINTERS, FRANTZ, KENT, BROOKS

Nicholas LINDERMAN was born in Tompkins county Nov. 22, 1803. He married there, Jan. 6, 1831, Rebecca WHITLOCK, who was born May 11, 1807. He built a log cabin on Buzzard's hill in Ischua, cut a road to it, and brought hither his bride. He had a deed of 100 acres of land timbered with hardwood and valuable pine, which he converted into shingles, lumber, ashes, and black-salts, which he hauled to Buffalo. He was a man of the old school style. He died where he first settled aged eighty-three years; Mrs, LINDERMAN died March 10, 1849. June 3, 1849, Mr. LINDERMAN married Mrs. Sally C. (HYDE) WINTERS, who died in 1888. Of his eleven children five sons and three daughters are living. Ezekiel LINDERMAN, born on the homestead Jan. 9, 1833, remained with his father until 1860. April 3, 1860, he married Adaline FRANTZ and settled on his farm in the southwest part of Ischua. He now resides in Pleasant valley on Olean creek in Hinsdale. Mrs. LINDERMAN died in 1869. Feb. 18, 1872, he married Gertrude KENT. Children: Ella G. (Mrs. C. E. BROOKS), born Feb. 16, 1864, and Phebe Rose, born Dec. 1, 1878.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 715

Surnames: MARSH, FOSMER, SMITH

The MARSH family in America are of Welsh descent and first settled in Massachusetts. Nelson H. MARSH was born in Vermont. In 1825 or 1826 he came with his sisters Orpha, Rosetta, Rhoda, and Susan to Hinsdale. His sisters were all teachers. He located a farm on Olean creek, and married Emily FOSMER, who is now the wife of Edward SMITH.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 715

Surnames: MAY, ANDREWS, ALLEN

William MAY, a native of Massachusetts, married Rhoda ANDREWS in Homer, N. Y. She was born in Hartford, Conn., Feb. 11, 1788. In 1825, with six children, they settled on a farm of 139 acres on Dutch hill in Hinsdale, purchasing the interest of Jonathan ALLEN and receiving his deed from the Holland Land Company. He made black-salts and pine shingles. He died in May, 1840, and his wife in April, 1845.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Pages 715 & 716

Surnames: MILLER, UNDERWOOD, LINDERMAN, NORTON, MARSH, SMITH, WASSON

Abraham MILLER was born in Hamilton, Pa., Sept. 8, 1812. In the spring of 1827 he came to Hinsdale with his brother, Peter MILLER, who had a wife and two children, and settled on Dutch hill. The only road from Olean then was a path indicated by blazed trees. Remaining with his brother until eighteen years of age he then began business for himself as a sawyer. Sept. 28, 1842, he married Vesta A., daughter of Julius C. UNDERWOOD, a pioneer of Machias. He was a farmer on Dutch hill about three years and then went to Pennsylvania as a sawyer. Returning to Hinsdale in July, 1853, he settled in 1857 on a farm on Olean creek where E. LINDERMAN now lives. He now resides in the village. Children: Laurentine Y., Lorentus, Henry C. (died in 1875), Sarah H. (Mrs. Edgar NORTON), and Vesta (Mrs. N. H. MARSH).

Laurentine Y. MILLER was born in Hinsdale, Dec, 9,1843. He married Evaline, daughter of Thornton and Charlotte (SMITH) WASSON, and in the fall of 1863 he enlisted in the U. S. navy at Brooklyn and served on board of several war vessels. He participated in a number of engagements on the South Carolina coast, and was discharged Aug. 29, 1865, at Washington navy yard. March 19, 1866, he left for the gold fields in Montana, going by the Nicaraugua route and reaching Walla Walla on the 14th of May, 1866. On the summit of Bitter Root Mountain on June 18th he found the snow eight feet deep. He finally reached Bear Gulch on July 15th, where he was a miner until November. He then crossed the main divide of the Rocky Mountains alone, arriving at Confederate Gulch, where he was a gold miner five years. In the fall of 1871 he returned to Hinsdale and was married in the winter ensuing. March 29, 1872, he started west again and about April 4th was en route to the summit of the main range of the Rocky Mountains. He arrived at Deer Lodge City on July 10th by again crossing the Rockies, and in August he went alone 200 miles to his old mining location at Confederate Gulch. In the winter of 1874 he returned home again, and since then has made several trips through the west and northwest and spent two years more in the mines of Colorado. Mr. MILLER is an efficient worker in the Republican party. He is now serving his sixth consecutive year as supervisor of Hinsdale.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 716

The NORTON family belongs to the pioneer and prominent families of Cattaraugus County. Early in the century (1807) Ira NORTON, a native of Goshen, Litchfield County, Conn., born Oct. 6, 1783, with his wife, Lucy (PERKINS) NORTON, and one child, emigrated to Franklinville. This section was then known as the far west. Mr. NORTON located on the east part of lot 21, township 4, range 4.

A few years later (1810) he became a resident of Great Valley and settled on lot 38, township 3, range 6, which contained 136 acres. Here this noble pioneer devoted himself to the improvement of his land, not neglecting, however, the religious interests of his co-workers in the settlement. He was a true scion of the New England NORTON’s, who were thoroughly imbued with religious zeal and fervor, and conspicuous as clergymen and church leaders. The first meetings of what was afterward the Presbyterian church of Great Valley were held in Mr. NORTON's house, and here with others Deacon NORTON and his wife worshiped until a school house was built. He was a firm anti-liquor advocate, and was the first person in Great Valley to dispense with liquor at raisings, which was done at the erection of his own house.

Mr. NORTON was a man of ability and integrity, which was soon recognized by the people, and he was elected to offices of trust, among them justice of the peace and supervisor. July 26, 1820, he was qualified as associate judge of the County Court. The duties of these official trusts were discharged with dignity and satisfaction.

After a long life of usefulness Judge NORTON died in 1866, aged eighty-three years, "full of years and full of honors." For a half-century his home had been in Great Valley, and the unbroken wilderness was now transformed into fruitful fields and pleasant homes. "He loved his God and the Old Flag, and lived to see it float over the whole of the United States."

Of his fourteen children, nine attained maturity. The NORTON homestead is now occupied by his oldest surviving son Andrews L. NORTON; another son, E. D. NORTON, is a resident of Delevan in Yorkshire.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Pages 716 & 717

Hon. Nelson I. NORTON, third son of Ira and Lucy (PERKINS) NORTON, was born in Great Valley, March 31, 1820, on the NORTON homestead. His boyhood was passed on the farm, aiding in its multifarious labors, and attending to his studies when opportunity offered. He acquired more than an ordinary education, and became well versed in political and historical matters. He taught common schools two winters, but preferring mercantile life he entered the store of MORRIS & HAWLEY at Hinsdale in 1841 as clerk. In this relation he passed some years, then became the mercantile partner of Alonzo HAWLEY, and later conducted merchandising alone until 1851, when Mr. Hawley purchased the business. Mr. NORTON then retired to his farm in Hinsdale (now the home of Mrs. NORTON), where he devoted himself to its management. Here his death occurred Oct. 28, 1887, after forty years' residence in the town.

Mr. NORTON was an "old line Whig" until the formation of the Republican party, when he became an active member of that organization. His influence was early and prominently felt in the civil and political circles of his town and county. Possessing fine natural abilities, and being a ready, fluent, and gifted speaker, he was often "on the stump," where, aided by his popularity among the people, he did effective service. He was chosen justice of the peace early and was a capable, impartial, and satisfactory magistrate for twenty years. He was in positions of great responsibility during the Civil War. Serving on the Board of Supervisors in 1860, 1865, 1866, and 1867, and representing his Assembly district in 1861, he was brought face to face with the problems connected with that historic period, and did good and patriotic service. In 1872 he was chosen presidential elector and was called by the people of his congressional district to represent them in the Forty-fourth congress. To this latter highly important office he did not seek a renomination, as his personal friend, Alonzo HAWLEY, desired it and was a candidate for the place. In all these positions Mr. NORTON manifested a keen insight into men and their motives, a facility in discriminating the true from the false, and faithfully performed the high duties devolving upon him. He united with the Congregational church at Great Valley in 1820 and held to its principles and tenets through life. He made many friends and retained them by his genial personality.

Mr. NORTON married, Feb. 15, 1847, Mary E. PARKER, daughter of Elias and Dolly (FLETCHER) PARKER, of Arcade, Wyoming County. Mr. PARKER and his wife were natives of Westford, Mass. They resided in Cavendish, VT. near the Connecticut river, for some years, but came to Arcade in its early days, the journey with their own teams requiring three weeks' time. They died in Arcade -- Mr. PARKER at the age of fifty-eight and Mrs. PARKER aged eighty-four. Mary E. PARKER was born Jan. 23, 1820. Children:

Ella L. NORTON (married Oscar L. DYER), who died in 1870, leaving one child, Belle DYER, who married O. F. WITTER, of Hinsdale, is a graduate of the Olean High School, once won a scholarship in Cornell University in a competitive examination, and has been a successful teacher.

Elbert N. NORTON (killed by a horse in 1870)

Herbert A. NORTON

Leonard R. NORTON (died in infancy)

Anna M. NORTON (married Franklin HESS) - has one child, Eastman HESS, and resides in Fort Fred Steele, Wyoming

William S. NORTON

James N. NORTON

Ed. Note: This biography includes a photograph of Nelson I. NORTON

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Pages 717 & 718

Sunames: NORTON, PARKER, McMILLAN, WAIT

William S. NORTON (son of Hon. Nelson I. NORTON and Mary E. PARKER) espoused newspaper work, shortly after attaining his majority in 1880, as local writer on the Olean Democrat. He was next local news-gatherer and telegraph editor on the Olean Morning Herald and in 1884 took charge of the local department of the Olean Evening Times, remaining there until November, 1885. In June, 1886, he assumed the conduct of the local department of the Olean Evening Herald and held that position until Sept., 1887. The next winter he performed satisfactorily the arduous labors incumbent on the sole proof-reader of the Buffalo Evening and Sunday News. In 1890 he, with D. McMILLAN, established the Olean Sunday Hatchet, of which he soon became sole proprietor until March, 1891, when he discontinued its publication to accept a responsible position on the Buffalo Currier. He is now the head, in point of salary and term of service of the Courier's reportorial staff. He married Nettie C. WAIT, has three children:

Zora L., Ralph R., and Iva NORTON. He resides in Buffalo.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 718

Surnames: NORTON, BARSE, WILLOVER, WOODS, FRENCH, FOSTER, GUTHRIE, BULLARD

James N. NORTON was born in Hinsdale, October 13, 1862. He was educated at the common schools supplemented by attendance at Rochester Business University. After graduating here in 1882 he became book-keeper for BARSE & WILLOVER at Great Valley. On the death of Mr. BARSE in 1885 he became the partner of Mr. WILLOVER in the firm doing business as C. WILLOVER. In 1887, in connection with Mr. WILLOVER and G. A. WOODS, Mr. NORTON formed the firm of C. WILLOVER & Co., as lumber dealers and manufacturers of lumber, at Morrison, Pa. In 1889, Mr. WILLOVER retired and the Morrison Run Lumber Company, consisting of J. C. FRENCH, J. N. NORTON, and G. A. WOODS, was formed. This company established a general store at Morrison in connection with their lumbering, which, on Mr. NORTON's retirement from the company a few months later, was purchased by him and A. E. FOSTER. Jan. 1, 1892 Mr. NORTON purchased Mr. FOSTER's interest and now carries on three mercantile establishments in three different places -- Morrison, Dunkle, and Newtown -- in which he does an annual business of from $60,000 to $70,000. The postoffice at Morrison was established in 1888 with Mr. NORTON as postmaster. He still holds the position. Mr. NORTON married, July 19, 1888, Clara BULLARD, daughter of A. B. BULLARD and Eliza GUTHRIE of Salamanca. They have three children: James R., Ellen B., and Neva NORTON

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 718

Surnames: NORTON, FORT, MILLER

Bela NORTON, son of James, was born in Norway, N.Y., Oct. 21, 1797. He was a farmer in Herkimer county until 1839, when he married there his second wife, Mrs. Mary FORT, Jan. 24, 1839, and with his family removed to Hinsdale and settled on the farm now owned by his son, Edgar NORTON, where he died Jan. 30, 1870. Mr. NORTON was a man of fine natural abilities. He was a Democrat in politics, was prominent in town affairs, and was supervisor in 1850, 1851, 1852, and 1853. Of his ten children eight are living; all his six sons were Democrats. Edgar NORTON, second son of the second marriage, was born on the homestead, which he still owns, May 19, 1845. Nov. 29, 1871, he married Sarah H. MILLER, daughter of Abram MILLER. Children: Fred E. and Clarence H. NORTON

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 718

Surnames: OSMUN, CARY

Aaron OSMUN was born in Lansing, N.Y., July 28, 1805. He married Catherine CARY in 1821 and in 1830 they settled on Keller hill in Hinsdale, where he spent the remainder of his life. He purchased his wood lot of 100 acres at $1.25 per acre, and eventually cleared 350 acres of land. He died Jan. 15, 1889. Mrs. OSMUN died in June, 1891. One son, three daughters, twenty-seven grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren survive them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Pages: 718 & 719

Surnames: PUTNAM, WALTERS, SCOTT, LEARN

Peter PUTNAM, the first settler of the town of Hinsdale and a cousin of General PUTNAM, of Revolutionary fame, was born in 1776. In 1804 he married Mary WALTERS in Almond, Allegany county. In 1810 he went to Olean, where he made a raft and with his family aboard and his brother for a pilot started down the Allegheny, intending to sell his lumber in Cincinnati and settle there. In that city his family were all ill with fever and ague. With them he returned to Olean with a span of horses and a wagon loaded with his property. Jan. 1, 1811, he settled in the woods where George SCOTT now lives.

His nearest neighbor on the south was at Olean and on the north at Franklinville. He raised a log house with the help of the Indians, who had a camp near by. He was a great hunter, was an industrious pioneer, planted the second orchard in Cattaraugus county, and raised the first frame barn in Hinsdale. He died in Feb., 1844; Mrs. PUTNAM died Dec. 22, 1842.

John PUTNAM, oldest son of Peter, was born in the log cabin on the homestead Aug. 10, 1811, and is distinguished as the first white child born in Hinsdale. Jan. 1, 1839, he married Sarah A. LEARN, and Jan. 5, 1841, their son Joseph M. C. was born. Mrs. PUTNAM died Jan. 15, 1841. May 9, 1843, he married, second, Mary A. LEARN. At his marriage Mr. PUTNAM settled on the homestead; in 1840 he rented that and settled on a farm in Humphrey. His health failed in 1877 and they moved onto the home Mrs. PUTNAM had purchased at Scott's Corners, where they now reside. Mr. PUTNAM was justice of the peace in Humphrey sixteen consecutive years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 719

Surnames: SALISBURY, MORGAN, TODD, CUMMINGS, BROWN

Worden SALISBURY, son of Ambrose and Sylvinia (MORGAN) SALISBURY, was born in Scott, Cortland county, Dec. 12, 1830, and has always been a farmer. About 1844 he came with his parents to Haskel Flats. July 1, 1853, he married Sophia S. TODD, daughter of William G. and Azubah (CUMMINGS) TODD, and about 1860 they settled where they now reside. They are members of the Methodist church. Children: Hugh S., Nettie Belle (married W. BROWN), and Guy W. SALISBURY

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 719

Surnames: SMITH, YATES, WASSON, MILLER

Abner SMITH was born in Littleton, N.H., March 7, 1791. His father served through the Revolutionary War. About 1816 he came from Irasburgh, Vt., to the Holland purchase. In 1820 he married, in Hinsdale, Lucina YATES. He became a lumberman and piloted his own rafts and others down the Allegheny. He was also a farmer, and resided on a fine farm on Ischua creek and later purchased another farm with a hotel in Ischua village and conducted both about twenty years. Mrs. SMITH died in 1855. He soon afterward went to Iowa and died at the home of his oldest son, Abner W. SMITH, March 7, 1873. His children all removed to western states except Charlotte M. (Mrs. Thornton WASSON). Their daughter Evaline married L. Y. MILLER.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 719

Surnames: SNYDER, LEARN, BAKER, HOSLEY

Jacob SNYDER came to Haskel Flats from Lansing, N. Y., as early as 1832. He married in Tompkins county Mary LEARN, whose grandparents were killed by the Indians at the Wyoming massacre. They settled on the farm owned by Mr. BAKER. Of his eight children four are living. The youngest, Elizabeth J., is the wife of Cady R. HOSLEY. Mr. SNYDER sold his farm and retired to Cuba, N. Y., where he died in Nov., 1875.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page719

Surnames: STORRS, BRADLEY, MAIN

Barzilla B., son of Nirum and Sylvia (BRADLEY) STORRS, was born in Franklinville, March 25, 1846. He has made school teaching his vocation and has taught about twenty-seven terms. He is now a merchant, teacher, and justice of the peace. June 16, 1872, he married Ettie L. MAIN and has two children.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 719

Surnames: TODD, CUMMINGS, HOSLEY

William G. TODD, son of Daniel TODD, the first white child born in Homer, N. Y., was born in his father's native town and married there Azubah CUMMINGS, a native of Connecticut. They were among the first pioneers of Friendship. About 1843 he removed to Haskel Flats and settled on the farm where Cady HOSLEY now lives. He drew the frame of this house and materials to cover it from Friendship. He first built a small horse barn, and because he would not furnish whisky while raising it he spent two days in putting it up. He was captain of militia, served as justice of the peace, and was a member and one of the founders of the Baptist church at Haskel Flats. He died about 1854.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Pages 719 & 720

Surnames: TORREY, CURTIS, POWERS, CORBIN

Alfred C. TORREY, of sturdy New England origin, was born in East Java, Wyoming county, July 8, 1838. His father, Rev. Timothy TORREY, was a native of Bethany, Vt., was a soldier in the War of 1812, and came with his father, who was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, to Wyoming county in his boyhood. A. C. TORREY's mother's parents were natives of Connecticut. She was a daughter of Daniel CURTIS, who also settled in Wyoming county. Timothy TORREY was an itinerant Methodist preacher and traveled on a large circuit among the pioneer towns. Alfred C. TORREY came to Hinsdale with his parents about 1850. He began business for himself as a manufacturer and dealer in pine shingles. Later be was a carpenter and builder. He has also been engaged in the oil regions and for the past nine years he has been a merchant. June 25, 1859, he married Susan POWERS; children: Ella J., A. Leroy, and Theresa (Mrs. Dr. A. K. CORBIN).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 720

Surnames: WEBSTER, GIFFORD, FAY, BISHOP, CROSBY, QUIMBY, SMITH, MORIAN, OSGOOD, DAVIS, ROGERS, DENSMORE, PELTON

David WEBSTER, son of Isaac Webster, was born in 1783. He served three months in the War of 1812 and his father was a soldier and pensioner of the Revolution. David married in Dutchess county, about 1804, Hannah GIFFORD, and at once went to Fabius, N.Y., where he was a farmer until Dec., 1833, when he came to Hinsdale, settling on Olean creek, where he resided until his death in Nov., 1851. Mrs. Webster died about 1848. Of their thirteen children twelve attained mature years; four are living and only the youngest son, Hiram Webster, resides in Hinsdale. He was born in Fabius, Feb. 7, 1827, succeeded his father on the homestead, and married, first, in January, 1850, Lucinda, daughter of Lewis FAY. She died May 9, 1868, having borne one son, deceased, and a daughter, Addie L. Jan. 18, 1872, he married Mrs. Miranda (BISHOP) CROSBY. They have one daughter, Clara M. Mrs. WEBSTER has a son, Emmett H. CROSBY, by her first marriage. He has served as assessor nine consecutive yars and votes with the Prohibitionists. He is prominent in the M. E. Church, of which he, Mrs. Wester, and the oldest daughter are members. He is one of its stewards and trustees.

R. Gifford WEBSTER, a native of Pompey, N.Y., was born Feb. 7, 1810. He married Marinda QUIMBY in Fabius in 1832 and in 1834 removed to Fay Hollow in Hinsdale, where he cleared a farm of 106 acres, which was his home for more than half a century. He died Jan. 28, 1892. His widow survived him only ten weeks. Eight of their ten children are living: Henry, Marian ( Mrs. C. A. SMITH), Harriet (Mrs. MORIAN), Henrietta (Mrs. OSGOOD), Jennie C. (Mrs. DAVIS), Marcella (Mrs. ROGERS), Ann M. (Mrs. DENSMORE), and Bela. Bela WEBSTER has a farm adjoining the homestead. Sept. 11, 1872, he married Emma PELTON. Children: De Witt D., born June 4, 1874, and Cora May, born April 18, 1878.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Pages: 720-721

Surnames: WILLOVER, FROST, PHELPS, FAIR, CANFIELD, WARD

John WILLOVER was a native of New Jersey and descended from sturdy Holland ancestry. He was born in Essex county, N.J. in 1806. His father settled on lease lands, where he accumulated a little property, and emigrated thence to Tyrone, N.Y., when John was a lad of seven years. There he cleared a farm and died. John WILLOVER married, in Tyrone, Miss Esther FROST about 1829. In 1831 he settled at Haskel Flats in Hinsdale, and very soon after built a sawmill on Haskel creek, the first in the neighborhood. Later he purchased another farther down the stream built by Oliver PHELPS, and conducted both some years. The valley was covered with a fine growth of pine trees and he became an extensive manufacturer of pine lumber and shingles, which he rafted to market down the Allegheny and Ohio rivers. Besides his lumber business he cleared three good farms. He came to the wilderness without means except a yoke of oxen, which drew his family and goods from Tyrone. But he had energy, courage, perseverance, and industry. In his business life he gave employment to a host of men and was the means of helping the industrious poor to help themselves. He purchased timber land, reserved the pine timber, and sold the soil to those who wanted homes. Mr. WILLOVER was the prominent person in his neighborhood--a man of sterling integrity and high character. He was a Whig in politics and joined the ranks of the Republican party at its formation. He was the first supervisor of his party in town, in 1856, and was re-elected in 1857. He died Jan. 17, 1873. Mrs. WILLOVER died March 5, 1888. Children:

Christopher WILLOVER

Hetty A. WILLOVER (Mrs. FAIR) of Oil City, Pa. 

Hannah E. WILLOVER (Mrs. CANFIELD), of Ohio

Julia E. WILLOVER (Mrs. WARD), of Allegany, N.Y.

Luc M. WILLOVER, who died at the age of sixteen years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 721

Surnames: WILLOVER, COON, NORTON, SMITH, DURFEE, REYNOLDS

Abram WILLOVER, brother of John, was born in Tyrone, N.Y. about 1804, married there Miss Emeline COON, and came to Haskel Flats about 1832. He was a natural mechanic and could turn his hand to any job of woodwork. He was a first-class carpenter and joiner and a good millwright. In 1839 he settled on the woodland farm on which his son Abram now lives, and there had the double occupation of house building and farming. He cleared up his farm, planted an orchard, and died in 1852. Mr. WILLOVER was a genial and agreeable companion who could give and take a joke. He was a very good neighbor and quite popular with the people, and served as constable several years. Mrs. WILLOVER remained his widow and survived until July 17, 1891, aged eighty-two. Children: Julia (Mrs. James B. NORTON), of Salamanca; Halsey, a farmer in Ischua; Martin V., who enlisted in Co. K, 85th N.Y. Vols., was captured at Plymouth, N.C., was confined in Andersonville prison, and died in Florence; Annie (Mrs. William SMITH), deceased; William, a soldier in the 154th N.Y. Vols. who marched with Sherman to the sea and was discharged at the close of the war; John, a soldier in the 154th N.Y. Vols. and a prisoner three months in Belle Isle; Elizabeth, who died at the age of seventeen; Eveline (Mrs. George DURFEE), of Portville; and Abram. Abram WILLOVER has served as constable, has been engaged in the oil regions of Bradford, Pa., and married Miss Anna REYNOLDS. He purchased the homestead of the heirs, and administered to the comfort of his aged mother the last eight years of her life. Upon this old farm he still resides.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Pages 721-722

Surnames: WILLOVER, BARSE, QUIN, OSMUN, HEDDEN, FULLER

Christopher WILLOVER, oldest son of John WILLOVER, was born at Haskel Flats, April 8, 1832. He was educated in the common schools and in Grand River Institute, a branch of Oberlin College, in Austinburgh, Ohio. He began his business life as the financial manager in taking a raft of lumber down the river and at the same time worked as a raftsman. He spent the next three years as tallyman and measurer of lumber. In 1858 he began the business of buying lumber on commission, which he followed until 1865, when he became a buyer on his own account and has since been a heavy dealer and many times a bold speculator. He was the partner of the late C. V. B. BARSE, of Olean in the lumber business from 1864 until the latter's death. Mr. WILLOVER is a man of more than ordinary business ability, is an able financier, and has the energy to accomplish whatever he attempts. In his long course in business he has sustained heavy losses, but mainly because he is generous to a fault. His disinterested benevolence has led him to entangle himself in the business of his friends and has obliged him to pay their debts. In his own ventures he has planned well. His real estate embraces more than a thousand acres. He has a fertile farm at Haskel Flats, where he has a beautiful home. Hi is popular, gives his aid and influence to forward every good object, and has lately contributed the larger half towards the erection of the elegant Union church of his neighborhood.

Mr. WILLOVER was elected a justice of the peace in 1856 and served a term of four years. He represented Hinsdale on the Board of Supervisors in 1870, 1872, and 1881. Jan. 4, 1860, he married Miss Mary T. QUIN, who was born in Newport, Chemung County, Sept. 11, 1834. Children: Winnifred S. born July 27, 1861, married Dana OSMUN, a farmer of Haskel Flats; John H., born July 15, 1863, died in infancy; Frank E., born Aug. 13, 1865, married Myra HEDDEN, and is a farmer on the homestead; Lucy A., born Oct. 14, 1869, married Charles H. FULLER, a farmer on Keller Hill; and John C., born Oct. 7, 1870, a member of the firm of Phelps, Sibley & Co., of Cuba, N.Y.

Ed. Note: This biography includes a photograph of Christopher WILLOVER

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Pages 722 & 723

Surnames: WOOD, MARSH, GOULD, FORT, NORTON, LELAND, NELSON, JUDD

Emery WOOD, son of Wheelock WOOD, was born in Gainesville, N. Y., Nov. 13, 1797. He was raised on a farm and attended the primitive common school four weeks, but by improving his leisure moments he became an expert mathematician, grammarian, and historian. At the age of fifteen he enlisted as a fifer in the War of 1812 and served three months. In the summer of 1813 he again entered the "tented field" as a substitute and in July ensuing was made a prisoner at Black Rock and sent to Halifax, where he was confined until June, 1814. In Sept., 1814, he joined the American army and was captured at the battle of Fort Erie and carried to Quebec, where he remained a prisoner till the war closed. In 1817 Mr. WOOD came to Hinsdale. He was very soon engaged in the lumber trade, and acquired a large territory of pine timbered lands, including more than half of the grounds now occupied by the village. In 1825 he opened the first store in Hinsdale and was the first postmaster of the town. He conducted an exchange or barter trade. At the time he opened his store and the first postoffice he held the offices of town clerk, justice of the peace, overseer of the poor, and colonel of the 226th Regiment militia. In 1829, 1830, 1831, and 1832 he represented his town on the Board of Supervisors. Colonel WOOD's marked ability and public spirit were shown in forwarding every good enterprise, and especially in the educational interests of Hinsdale. He was a leader in founding the Hinsdale Academy, for which he donated the site, and generously patronized it in educating all his family. Sept. 16, 1819, he married Permelia, daughter of Royal and Rhoda MARSH, who was born in Vermont, Dec. 12, 1796. Colonel WOOD died Feb. 24, 1875, and Mrs. WOOD Nov. 18, 1872. Children: Frederick M., born June 19, 1820, died June 3, 1861; Hon. William H. (see page 334); Permelia M., born Feb. 12, 1824, married John H. GOULD, and died Dec. 6, 1862; Lewis, born Sept. 19, 1826, accidentally drowned Oct. 7, 1828; Emery L., born Sept. 1, 1830, drowned July 16, 1837; Hon. Staley N., born May 22, 1832; Evelyn R., born July 2, 1834; and Hon. Wales W., born April 25, 1837, now serving his second term as county judge in Illinois.

Hon. Staley N. WOOD received his education in Hinsdale Academy. He was clerk for E. M. & T. T. Wasson at the age of fourteen, and clerked also for his father and brother and for the late Judge Martin, of Olean, until 1852 or 1853, when he became a partner in general merchandise trade with his brother Frederick in Hinsdale. In the fall of 1857 he was a salesman for A. & F. Reed in New York; in 1872 he was a partner with F. & L. B. Reed, their successors. All this time except two years he was a citizen of Hinsdale. During the late war he was a war Democrat, and Governor Fenton, as a compliment for his patriotism, sent him a captain's commission. Mr. WOOD represented Hinsdale on the Board of Supervisors in 1868, 1869, 1877, 1878, 1879, and 1880. He ran for elector of General Hancock in 1868 and in 1866 for congressman of his district. In 1861, in 1875, and again a third time he was the nominee of his party for member of Assembly and at each election he greatly reduced the majority of his Republican opponent. He was also nominated for the office of treasurer of Cattaraugus county. April 19, 1883, Governor Cleveland tendered him the position of State assessor, which he resigned in March, 1892. June 2, 1853, he married Laura A., daughter of widow Mary FORT, now the widow of the late Bela NORTON. Children: Mary P. (Mrs. F. D. LELAND), George F., Ellen J. (Mrs. A. T. NELSON), Flora V. (Mrs. C. D. JUDD), and Lewis B. Frederick WOOD was supervisor of Hinsdale in 1854 and 1855.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Hinsdale – Chapter XXXI (31)

Page 723

Surnames: YATES, HULL, COATS, MITCHELL, WRIGHT, CONRAD, GOODRICH, HOGG

Emery YATES, a native of Woodstock, VT., came to Hinsdale from Gainesville, N.Y. about 1813 and settled at Scott's Corners where E. A. Hull now lives. He erected a saw-mill on Oil creek on the site of the Tousley mill. He later established a boat-yard on Oil creek a little below his saw-mill at Scott's Corners, and there built flat-boats. He was also an expert in constructing mill dams. He died at Scott's Corners.

Emery W. YATES, oldest son of Emery YATES, was born at Scott's Corners, Nov. 20, 1815. He began the trade of carpenter and joiner at the age of sixteen and followed that avocation until approaching old age. He has never had a home outside of his native town. He cast his first presidential ballot for William H. Harrison and has never missed a vote at a general election. He married Polly COATS, Dec. 14, 1836, who died Nov. 22, 1891. Of their five children two sons are living: Theodore H., a veteran of the late war, and Edgar N. Warren C. enlisted in 1861 and died in Andersonville prison.

Lorenzo YATES, son of the pioneer Emery, was born at Scott's Corners, Dec. 23, 1819. He learned the trades of carpenter, joiner, and millwright, which he followed until 1854, when he engaged with S. Augustus Mitchell, of Philadelphia, the celebrated map publisher, and was his general agent six years. He was then general agent for four years for several publishers, and since 1864 has led a retired life. Aug. 18, 1846, he married Abigail, daughter of John E. WRIGHT. She was born in Richfield, N.Y., July 6, 1823. Five of their seven children grew to maturity: Lucy (Mrs. Henry J. CONRAD), Carlton E., Julia (Mrs. M. L. GOODRICH), Allen, and Eva E. (Mrs. G. E. HOGG).
 

Back To Cattaraugus County


If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact me at:

Painted Hills

This page is maintained by the PHGS
 Last Update January 25, 2004

© 2002 by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society
Main | Email Us | Look-Ups | Members Family Pages
Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer

Website designed by Frankie Stonemetz
2002© Painted Hills Genealogy Society
All Rights Reserved