TOWN OF EAST OTTO

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES FROM: "HISTORICAL GAZETTEER AND BIOGRAPHICAL MEMORIAL of CATTARAUGUS COUNTY, NY, ed by WILLIAM ADAMS, Published 1893
 
 

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 552

Surnames: ANDREWS, WELLS, BONESTEEL

The name ANDREWS is the modern English form of the Latin, Andreas, which signifies a man. Some bearing the name have claimed that "it is derived from St. Andrew the Apostle." The family has been prominent in England, whose books of heraldry contain full descriptions of their "coats of arms." John ANDREWS came from England in 1640 and settled on land in Connecticut in what was anciently known as "Tunxis," afterward as "ffarmingtowne," and later as Farmington, on which land some of his direct descendants still reside. He died in 1681 and his wife Mary in 1694. Daniel, their third son, was born in 1649 and died in 1731. His son Daniel was born in 1672 and died in 1748. Joseph, son of Daniel, Jr., was born in 1711, lived in Glastonbury, Conn., and died about 1747, leaving a son Joseph, born in 1745, who was a soldier in the Revolution, as was also his brother Daniel. Joseph died in 1837. George, the fourth son of the last named (Joseph), was born in 1780, removed to Knowlesville, N. Y., in 1815, and died in 1861. Willis M., the second son of George, was born Feb. 7, 1806, in Glastonbury, Conn. In 1829 he came with Samuel WELLS, a brother of Horace WELLS, the pioneer, to East Otto, and Jan. 1, 1832, married Mariette BONESTEEL, who was born in Worcester, N. Y., Jan. 8, 1810, and who came with her father's family to East Otto in 1828. Soon after his marriage he built a house and shop at East Otto Corners, where he carried on shoemaking till the early forties, when he purchased a farm near "the corners," which he managed. till his removal in 1864 to Cattaraugus, where he died Sept. 3, 1870, his wife surviving until Nov. 36, [sic] 1891. Prior to their marriage she was a schoolteacher. Both lived useful, honorable lives, and their many sterling characteristics were inherited by their "descendants. Sketches of their children appear in the chapters of the towns with which they have been most recently identified. The ANDREWS family has ever been ready to take up arms in their country's defense. From the Revolution to the present day they have gallantly participated in every war which has threatened the nation's life, enlisting others in the strife, and leading or themselves going to victory or death. In all that interests the soldier, his widow, or his children they are first and foremost in aid and influence.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Pages 552 & 553

Surnames: ANDREWS, PRATT, CARTER, SLAWSON, RICH, COURTER

George William ANDREWS, the oldest child of Willis M. and Mariette ANDREWS, was born in East Otto, Nov. 12, 1832, and was married, April 13, 1856, to Ellen, daughter of Calvin PRATT, an early comer to this town. She was born in East Otto, Sept. 17, 1837, and died June 19, 1878. She was a brave, true woman and a devoted wife and mother. Children: Tully, born Feb. 27, 1857, died Aug. 6, 1857; Annie L., born July 6, 1858, married, Sept. 24, 1884, Oscar CARTER, a photographer at Cattaraugus, and died March 27, 1885; Walton C., born Jan. 13, 1861, married, Nov. 29, 1885, Nellie SLAWSON, was a partner with his uncle, Jerome A. ANDREWS, in the general merchandise business for several years at Cattaraugus, now with Clayton RICH in the same line at Gardeau, Pa.; and Crissy, born Dec. 25, 1869, married, Jan. 9, 1889, A. S. COURTER, a merchant at Otto. The latter has one child, Walton C., born Nov. 29, 1890. George W. ANDREWS, like his brothers and sisters, obtained the rudiments of an education in the common school. During a part of three terms he was a student in Springville Academy and engaged in teaching in the intervals of farm labor till after his marriage. In 1861 he enlisted more than a score of men for the 9th N. Y. Vol. Cav., in which regiment he served as private until discharged for disability. He then engaged in general merchandizing with his brother Jerome A. (see Salamanca) till 1869, since which time he has been alone. He was postmaster twenty-one years at East Otto, where he has always resided.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 553

Surnames: ANDREWS, KING

Edson Alfred ANDREWS, youngest son of Willis M. and Mariette ANDREWS, was born Aug. 8, 1845, at East Otto. He early began the study of law with Rice & Scott at Ellicottville. While yet a student in their office he married Ellen, daughter of Hon. Alanson KING, of Ashford, and enlisted as sergeant in the 179th N. Y. Vols. in the same month, April 11, 1864. He served gallantly in front of Petersburg, was taken prisoner at the great mine explosion July 31, 1864, and died of starvation and exposure in the rebel prison pen at Danville, Va., Jan. 11, 1865.

"He heard his country's call and gave his life, Just wed, from nuptial joys he went where grim Death grinned o'er Petersburg; – Ta'en in that strife He died – sad prison death – far, far from home, and friends, and wife."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 553

Surnames: ANDREWS, RICH, OAKES

Eva A., youngest daughter of Willis M. and Mariette ANDREWS, was born at East Otto, Oct. 28, 1857, and removed with her parents to Cattaraugus. Dec. 30, 1871, at Silver Creek, N. Y., she married Olin G. RICH, of Cattaraugus, now senior partner of the firm of RICH & OAKES, real estate dealers of Buffalo, N. Y. They have one daughter, Nellie, born at St. Petersburg, Pa., Aug. 18, 1874. As a child Eva was musical and is now a talented pianist and instructor in piano, organ, and vocal music. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 553

Surnames: ARMSTRONG, COPELAND, ANDRE, TRAVERS, AUSTIN, BENTON

Harvey K. ARMSTRONG was born in Perry, Wyoming County, Feb. 10, 1834. Jedediah ARMSTRONG, his father, was a native of Oneida County, whence he moved to Perry in 1823. In the winter of 1844 he came to East Otto. He located on the farm on which H. K. now lives, where he resided till his death in 1865, aged sixty-eight years. The mother of Harvey K. was a daughter of Amasa COPELAND, a soldier of the Revolution who belonged to the detachment that guarded Major Andre and conducted him to the scaffold. She lived with H. K. until her death in 1891, aged ninety-four years. Five others of the COPELAND family lived to be from ninety-one to ninety-seven years old. Harvey K. ARMSTRONG married, Sept. 16, 1857, Mary, daughter of Abel TRAVERS, of Chautauqua County. They have two sons and one daughter: J. D., of Salamanca; Rosa (Mrs. M. H. AUSTIN), of Buffalo; and J. Benton.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Pages 553 & 554

Surnames: BARNES, BURCHARD, MERCER, HOLMES, LARABEE, HAWKINS, DITCHER, TWITCHELL

Clark BARNES was born in Dayton, Feb. 2, 1852, and traces his ancestry back to the heroes of the Revolution. His great-grandfather fell while scaling the walls of Quebec; his grandfather, Tompkins BARNES, came from Maine to Sardinia, Erie county, about 1820; and his father, Surlanty BARNES, born there March 16, 1828, came. to East Otto in 1846, and was here married, Dec. 9, 1849, to Caroline, daughter of Joseph BURCHARD. She was born in East Otto, July 8, 1829, and both are now living on their farm in this town. Children: Lovina A., born Sept. 25, 1850, died Sept. 20, 1863, and Clark. Clark BARNES married, Jan. 19, 1876, Ann L., daughter of James MERCER, who was born in England, Jan, 14, 1807, came to America in 1826, and settled in Oneida county, removing in 1835 to East Otto, where he died Sept. 5, 1880. He married Betsey HOLMES, Sept. 23, 1830; children: Mary, born Sept. 8, 1831, married Amos LARABEE; James C., born Oct. 22, 1833; Elizabeth, born March 3l, 1839, married William HAWKINS; Ann L., born March 17, 1845, married Clark BARNES; Martha M., born Sept. 26, 1848, married Chris DITCHER; Philama, born Dec. 4, 1850, married Laban TWITCHELL; and William A., born Sept. 11, 1855. To Clark and Ann L. BARNES have been born Carl J., June 27, 1877, and Mary, May 21, 1887, now living, and Ina, Feb. 22, 1879, who died at the age of three years. Mr. BARNES is one of East Otto's thorough, reliable farmers. A Republican in politics he served his town as assessor and is now commissioner of highways, having received the largest majority ever given in town for that office in a contested election.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 554

Surnames: BEACH, NASH, HINMAN, BUSH, NORTHRUP

Oscar F. BEACH was born in Massachusetts, Sept. 23, 1818, and is a son of Henry BEACH, who came to East Otto with his family in 1825 and died here Feb. 7, 1847. Mrs. BEACH (Maria NASH) died June 14, 1872. Oscar F. BEACH purchased the homestead and made it his life-long home. He married, Oct. 8, 1846, Adaline, daughter of S. B. HINMAN. She was born in this county Oct. 8,1827. Children: Edson F., Cornelia (Mrs. A. B. BUSH), and Addie (Mrs. L. H. NORTHRUP). A Republican in politics Mr. BEACH represented the town of East Otto on the Board of Supervisors in 1874 and 1875, and in religion was an exemplary member of the Congregational church.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 554

Surnames: BEEBE, BATTELL, PRATT, MILLS

About 1640 four brothers, sons of John BEEBE, of Dorset, England, came to America and settled on Long Island. Silas BEEBE, a lineal descendant of John and the grandfather of Edwin F., was born on Long Island in 1763. James BEEBE, his son, was born March 30, 1804. He married Elizabeth, daughter of James BATTELL, a soldier of the Revolution who died at the age of eighty-nine years. Edwin F. BEEBE, son of James, was born in New Haven, Conn., Oct. 30, 1836, his father at that time being an engineer on a steamboat running from New York to New Haven. The family residence was in Newport, Herkimer County, and it was here that Edwin F. grew to manhood. In 1858 he came to East Otto and Oct. 10, 1860, married Elizabeth, daughter of Darius PRATT. Sept. 2, 1861, he enlisted in Co. B, 9th N. Y. Cav. He was first duty-sergeant and was in the siege of Yorktown, after which he was taken sick with fever and sent to the hospital at Baltimore, whence he was discharged by order of the War Department. In the fall of 1864 he re-enlisted in the same regiment and was assigned to Co. D, was detailed as drill-sergeant at Pleasant Valley remount camp, joined the regiment Dec. 1st, and was in the raids and battles during the winter of 1864-65. In the spring he was sent back to remount camp with crippled horses and was there detailed as provost-sergeant and afterward to assist Quartermaster Bean in selling horses and other supplies. He was mustered out June 1, 1865. In 1876 he was appointed keeper in Auburn prison and held that position three years and four months. He has been justice of the peace in East Otto fourteen years. Children: Luella, born June 20, 1861, died Aug. 12, 1874, and Maggie J., born Oct. 17, 1874, married James MILLS in 1888. Mr. BEEBE is one of three brothers who served their country during the Civil war. George H. BEEBE was in the 65th N. Y. Regiment and Silas T. BEEBE was captain in the 152d N. Y. Inf., serving four years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Pages 554 & 555

Surnames: BRADLEY, MORROW

Levi BRADLEY was born in Vermont, July 18, 1798, and died Dec. 4, 1877. After his marriage in 1827 he came to East Otto and settled on a farm, and for many years was a respected member of the Baptist church. His second wife was Betsey, daughter of James MORROW, of East Otto, whom he married. Aug. 9, 1853, and who survived him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 555

Surnames: BURCHARD, BARNES, MILKS, GAMPP, DARLING, WELLS

Joseph BURCHARD came from Massachusetts about 1821 and died here two or three years later. His son, Joseph BURCHARD, Jr., was born in Williamstown, Mass., in 1797, and emigrated to this town in 1828, where be died in 1867. His wife, Martha BURCHARD, was born in Massachusetts in 1793 and died in 1875. To them were born eighteen children, seven of whom lived to maturity: Edwin, Hiram, Mary and Martha (twins), Caroline, Clark, and Adaline; of these Caroline (Mrs. Surlanty BARNES) and Clark are living. Clark BURCHARD was born in East Otto, Jan. 8, 1833. On the 8th of May, 1859 he married Calista, daughter of Benjamin MILKS, an early settler of Otto. Children: Charles E., born Dec. 29, 1860, died May 1, 1863; Mara Eleanor, born April 7, 1862, married Abram GAMPP; Edith Sophia (Mrs. Edgar DARLING), born Dec. 27, 1864; Grace A., born May 7, 1869, (Mrs. Isaac GAMPP); Ida jean. born May 5, 1874, died Nov. 15, 1886; and Beatrice A. E., born Jan. 14, 1877. Mr. BURCHARD owns the farm on which Horace WELLS, the first settler in East Otto, originally located, his buildings standing in the village. he has been elected to several official positions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 555

Surnames: COLVIN, KRUSE, LINCOLN, ZEILMAN, GAMPP

John C. COLVIN was born in East Otto, April 11, 1833. He is of New England lineage; his grandfather, Ephraim COLVIN, was born in Coventry, R. I., Dec. 14, 1764, and afterward settled in Wardsboro, Vt., where Samuel COLVIN, the father of John C., was born Feb. 14, 1794. He was also the father of seven other sons and two daughters. In 1832 Samuel came from Vermont to East Otto and in 1833 settled in the west part of the town on the same farm on which he now resides. Here he spent the remainder of his days, rearing a family of seven sons and five daughters, of whom six sons and one daughter are yet living. About the same time he came, three of his brothers and his two sisters also settled in town and another brother in an adjoining town. John C. has always resided on the farm on which he was born. Jan. 1, 1867, he married Sophia, daughter of Ernest KRUSE, of Ashford. Children: Emily (Mrs. Heman LINCOLN), Nellie (Mrs. George ZEILMAN), Anna (Mrs. H. GAMPP), Cyril, Grace, and Elmer (deceased).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Pages 555 & 556

Surnames: DOW, DOUGLAS, WEBER, DUDLEY, FLECKENSTEIN

Benjamin DOW emigrated from England about 1635, soon thereafter settling in Stonington, Conn., and here Daniel DOW, his lineal descendant, was born April 22, 1771. His wife, Mrs. Susannah DOUGLAS DOW, was born in Voluntown (now Sterling), Conn., Nov. 23, 1777. The name of DOUGLAS comes down from an early period in Scotch history, when the name and degree of knighthood was conferred upon a cavalier for valor in saving the life of his king. In 1640 Dea. William DOUGLAS came to America and located in New London, Conn., and for two centuries his descendants have been in possession of lands previously owned by him. Daniel DOW and Susannah DOUGLAS were married March 28, 1799, in Voluntown, Conn., and here John DOW was born Feb. 11, 1809. His parents moved to this State in 1815 and the youthful days of Mr. DOW were passed in the counties of Dutchess, Columbia, and Otsego. April 18, 1833, he married Eliza, daughter of Michael WEBER, and the same year came to East Otto and settled on a farm. In 1855 he buried his wife and Sept. 11, 1855, married Maria A., daughter of John DUDLEY. By his first marriage he had three sons and four daughters; Daniel M., William C., James E. and Gertrude M. are living. By his second wife he had one daughter, Belle (Mrs. C. H. FLECKENSTEIN), with whom Mr. DOW now makes his home, his second wife having died Jan. 15, 1886. Mr. DOW was active in military affairs and was successively promoted from sergeant to Major. He has held a number of offices of trust and responsibility and for many years has been a deacon in the Congregational church.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 556

Surname: EVERTS

Samuel C. EVERTS came to East Otto in 1834 and for seventeen years was one of the deacons of the Presbyterian church. He was born in Massachusetts, July 5, 1805, and acquired his education at Lenox Academy. In 1851 he moved with his family to Illinois. One of his sons, Louis H., attained the rank of major in the Rebellion and afterward became a prominent publisher.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 556

Surnames: GALLOWAY, WHITE

Cyrus and Jacob GALLOWAY, brothers, came from New Jersey to this State and in 1823 located in Mansfield. Cyrus GALLOWAY came with his wife and four children, to which were subsequently added four more, making in all one daughter and seven sons. Ozias P., next to the youngest of the children, was born Oct. 6, 1829, and obtained his education in the district school. In 1847 he came with his father to East Otto, where he has since resided. His father died in 1851. On the 17th of March, 1859, he married Mary O. WHITE, adopted daughter of Jacob WHITE, of Otto. Martin V. B. GALLOWAY, a younger brother and single gentleman, resides with them. Mr. GALLOWAY has been assessor twelve years. He is engaged in the poultry business.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 556

Surnames: GAMPP, NEFF, CAPRON

Jacob GAMPP was born in Boston, Erie County, July 9, 1844. His father, George GAMPP, emigrated from Germany a short time previous to Jacob's birth, whose schooling was limited to common schools in the English language. The war of the Rebellion opened just as he came of age for military duty, and on the 9th of Aug., 1862, he enlisted in Co. F, 116th N. Y. Vol. Inf., for three years. The regiment was stationed at Baltimore until about December, and while there detachments were sent into Pennsylvania to oppose Gen. Stewart's cavalry raid. In December they were sent to Ship Island in the Gulf of Mexico and landed at New Orleans about the 1st of January, 1863. He was in the battle of Plain Store, May 21, 1863; in the siege of Port Hudson from May 27th to July 8th and under, fire forty-seven days; in the battles of Cox's Plantation, July 13, 1863; at Sabine Cross Roads, April 8, 1864; at Pleasant Hill, April 9, and Winchester, Va., Sept. 19, 1864; and at Fisher's Hill, Sept. 22, and Cedar Creek, Oct. 19, 1864. He was discharged at Washington on June 26, 1865. After the war he took up his residence in Ashford and in 1873 commenced the manufacture of cheese in company with A. B. NEFF. In 1884 they dissolved partnership and with his brothers Mr. GAMPP bought four factories in East Otto, where he has since resided. He has also bought the interests of his brothers, and now in his four factories receives the milk from nearly all the cows in the town. In the fall of 1890 he made the largest cheese on record. It took one day's milk from 3,400 cows, the milk weighing about 40,000 pounds and the cheese 4,500 pounds. The cheese was sold for sixteen cents per pound. Mr. GAMPP married, Feb. 6, 1867, Almira, daughter of Joseph CAPRON, of Ashford. Children: Henry E., Maron F., two daughters.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Pages 556 & 557

Surnames: HAMELE, SCHINGLER

John HAMELE was born at Wendlingen, Wurtemburg, Germany, June 22, 1849. His father, Freidrich, was a farmer; his mother, Katherina, died when he was but a few months old. John lived on the farm and went to school till the age of fourteen and was then apprenticed for three years to learn harness making and upholstering. Completing his apprenticeship he became a journeyman and traveled over a considerable part of Europe. Leaving Wurtemburg he passed through Baden, Alsace, Switzerland, Bavaria, and Austria to Wien, where he remained six months working at his trade. Thence he went to Hungary, but soon turned back into Styria, where he worked for eighteen months. He then passed through the principal towns to Trieste, Carinthia, and the Tyrol, crossing the Alps to Baden and the Rhine province to Frankenthal, through Bavaria and Saxony into Silesia, back to Berlin, through the smaller German States into Switzerland, to Zurich, to Interlachen, and in June, 1870, was called on to enter the army. In his journeying about Europe he visited the interesting and historic cities of Stuttgard, Carlsruhe, Strasburg, Freiburg, Basle, Bern, Lucerne, Zurich, Stein Augsberg, Munich, Linz, Wien, Gratz, Laibach, Trieste, Mannheim, Mayence, Frankfort-on-Main, Wurzburg, Chemnitz, Dresden, Gorlitz, Leipsic, Magdeburg, Gottingen, Cassel, Coblenz, Bern-Neufchatel, and many smaller towns. He served in the 22d Uhlans through the Franco-German war under Prince Freidrich (the Prussians' Unser Fritz). Upon the expiration of his term of military service he came to America, locating at Springville, N. Y. In March, 1875, he removed to East Otto, where he has since been engaged in the manufacture and sale of harness, etc. Feb. 9, 1875, he married Elizabeth SCHINGLER, who was born in Boston, N. Y., March 25, 1848. Children – Otto, born June 22, 1876; Utmer, April 16, 1878; Amelia, Dec. 16, 1883 ; and John, July 22, 1885. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 557

Surnames: HAMMOND, FOLTS, SCOTT, WILLIAMS

Joseph HAMMOND came into this town about 1823 and settled in the north part on land now known as the Fry farm. His son Samuel was then only thirteen years old; upon attaining his majority he articled from the land office land about two miles south from Cattaraugus creek, which remained in his possession till his death. He married Mary FOLTS in 1832 and commenced clearing up his farm, on which William HAMMOND was born Nov. 7, 1834, and here he enjoyed such school privileges as the early settlements afforded. After attaining the age of twenty-one years he purchased 162 acres of land adjoining his father's farm, and in Jan., 1857, married Mary E., daughter of J. J. SCOTT, of East Otto. They lived on his farm until 1890, when he moved to East Otto village and since 1892 has kept the only hotel in town. Children: a son and daughter, deceased, Sarah E. (Mrs. Elmer D. WILLIAMS), and William S.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 557

Surnames: HAWKINS, CLARK, PHILBRICK

Daniel HAWKINS was born in 1822 in St. Lawrence County. In 1839 he came to Collins, Erie County, having for two years previous lived in Canada. In 1847 he built a saw-mill in the north part of Otto, where he resided until 1861, when he bought mills in Collins and manufactured lumber, shingles, and cheese boxes until 1871, when he moved to East Otto and built the steam mill in the west part of town known as the swamp mill. In 1876 he built a stave-mill in New Albion and in 1880 he erected the steam mills in East Otto village, putting in a grist-mill in addition to the lumbering business. He has a steam mill in Otto village and also one in the north part of East Otto. Mr. HAWKINS has disposed of all his mill property except the last three mentioned, which he still continues to operate, manufacturing in them large quantities of rough and dressed lumber, shingles, and cheese boxes. In 1877 he married Mrs. Orrilla CLARK, his present wife; he has by a former wife two daughters and one son (Franklin). Mrs. HAWKINS has one son, Roswell PHILBRICK, of East Otto, by her first husband, Hon. Franklin PHILBRICK. Mr. HAWKINS is recognized as the veteran lumberman of this section of the county.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Pages 557 & 558

Surnames: LAING, PIERCE, ELLSWORTH, PRATT, EDDY

John LAING was born in Hebron Washington County, Feb. 6, 1812. His father, Adam LAING, was a captain in the War of 1812 and a farmer by occupation. John enjoyed only common school privileges. In Aug., 1841, he purchased a stock of goods and came to East Otto, where he has since continued, being probably the oldest merchant in Cattaraugus county doing business in the same locality. In the fall of 1842 he married Minerva, daughter of Sylvester PIERCE, of East Otto. They have two sons and two daughters; they buried one son and one daughter while quite young, and one son, Frank, was fatally injured in a railroad accident, dying aged thirty-four years. Those living are Hon. Solon S., of Salamanca; J. W., in company with his father; Mrs. C. B. PIERCE, of Otto; and Mrs. V. A. ELLSWORTH, of East Otto. Mr. LAING ever since his residence in East Otto has been one of the leading citizens of the town. Politically he has acted with the Democratic party, which has at all times been considerably in the minority, but notwithstanding that fact he has for eight years been elected a member of the Board of Supervisors of Cattaraugus county (three years from Otto and five years from East Otto). Hon. Solon S. LAING was supervisor from East Otto four years.

Stephen LAING was born in Hebron, Washington County, April 5, 1818. He followed farming till 1847, when he came to East Otto and soon after engaged in the mercantile business with his brother John, and for nearly twenty years the brothers carried on a successful trade. In 1866 he sold his interest to his brother and since then has been occupied chiefly in attending to his farming interests. He married, Feb. 1, 1849, Arvilla, daughter of Philip PRATT, who for many years was a prominent dealer in cattle, and who died in Jan., 1893, at the age of eighty-four years. Children: two daughters, deceased; Owen S., of East Otto; Fremont C., of Buffalo; Hon. Philip A., also of Buffalo; Stephen A.; and Dora (Mrs. Marcellus PIERCE). Mr. LAING has represented his town three terms on the Board of Supervisors and has been justice of the peace several years. For nearly fifty years the LAING's have been a power in East Otto, politically, socially, and executively. 

Owen S. LAING was born in East Otto, Jan. 20, 1850. He has been bucolic in his pursuits and stuck to the soil. Dec. 10, 1873, he married Alice R., daughter of Elisha C. EDDY (see Mansfield), who was born Dec. 8, 1851. They have a beautiful home, so situated as to afford a splendid view of the village and valley. Although quite prominent politically as well as socially he has seldom held office, because his party – Democratic – is in a minority.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Pages 557 & 558

Surnames: LARABEE; GRANT, SCOVEL, LANGMADE

Fayette C. LARABEE was born in East Otto, March 13, 1847. His grandfather, Eleazer LARABEE, came from Hamburg, Erie county, about 1823, and with him came also about the same time five sons and four daughters, four of the sons – Miner, Thomas Nathan, and Ira – being married and bringing their families. Eleazer LARABEE was born Aug. 31, 1756, and died Jan. 29, 1837; his wife, Mary (GRANT) LARABEE, was born Sept. 15, 1767, and died May 28, 1835. Sidney L. LARABEE, the youngest of the five sons and father of Fayette C., was born in Oneida county April 2, 1805; his wife, Lorinda (SCOVEL) LARABEE, was born in Orwell, Vt., Feb. 15, 1810; they were married Sept. 16,1827. Hezekiah SCOVEL, the father of Mrs. LARABEE, had settled in town in 1822. In 1840 Sidney LARABEE located on the farm where Fayette C. now lives, which has been in the possession of the family for fifty-three years. Here he resided till his death June 6, 1875. He was the father of six daughters and six sons, of whom but two sons and one daughter are now living. Fayette C. LARABEE married, Dec. 21, 1869, Abbie T., daughter of Rev. N. F. LANGMADE, a Baptist clergyman of this county. They have one son, C. Rossie, born Dec. 22, 1880. After the death of Mr. LARABEE's father his mother was cared for by him till her death Oct. 12, 1890. In the earlier history of the town the LARABEEs composed quite a proportion of the inhabitants; it is said there were at one time about thirty voters by that name, but at the present time Fayette C. and his family are the only representatives of the name left. His only remaining brother, Nathan, is a farmer in Otto and his only sister resides in the west.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 559

Surnames: LINCOLN, MARSH, COLVIN

Heman P. LINCOLN was born in Grafton, Vt., Dec. 20, 1866. His father, George T. LINCOLN, was born in the same town June 26, 1836; his mother's maiden name was Clarissa J., daughter of Dudley P. MARSH. When Heman M. was but three months old his parents came to East Otto. His father was a farmer and the son followed the same calling till 1890, when the two engaged in the grocery and provision trade at East Otto village. His father's health soon after failing, he purchased the entire business and continues it. May 18, 1892, he married Emily L., daughter of John COLVIN, of East Otto.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 559

Surnames: LINCOLN, SCOBEY

William Z. LINCOLN is a son of L. L. LINCOLN and was born in East Otto, May 28, 1838. The father came to this town at an early day and subsequently moved to Hinsdale. William Z. devoted his life to farming, but gave some attention to public affairs, representing his town on the Board of Supervisors in 1886, 1887, and 1888. He married Louisa A., daughter of Alexander SCOBEY, and both were members of the Baptist church.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 559

Surnames: MASON, IRISH, ANWERTER

Charles H. MASON was born Oct. 27, 1860, in East Otto. His great-grandfather, Benjamin MASON, and his grandfather, David Tyler MASON, came to the town about 1825. Benjamin MASON died in 1866, aged eighty-four years; David T. MASON died in 1890, aged seventy-eight years. Charles T. MASON, the father of Charles H, was born in East Otto, April 30, 1840, and resided here till 1881, when he removed to Franklinville. While living in East Otto he was for a number of years justice of the peace and was also justice of sessions. Charles H. MASON's boyhood days and school privileges were confined to his native town. He married, Sept. 8, 1881, Bertha G. B., only daughter of A. A. IRISH, of Otto. Nov. 20, 1890, she died. Mr. MASON lived three years at Franklinville, moving there in 1883; the rest of his life has been spent in East Otto, where he followed farming till 1892, when he bought the hardware store of F. W. Holmes. Dec. 6, 1892, he married Mary ANWERTER of Concord. He has one son, Roscoe Dee, by his first wife.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 559

Surnames: MATTESON, PERKINS

Girvase A. MATTESON was born in Russia, Herkimer County, Dec. 28, 1857. His father, Almirin B. MATTESON, came to East Otto in 1867. In addition to other school privileges G. A. attended Griffith Institute two years, taking the first two years a college course in mathematics, intending at that time to follow civil engineering. He commenced teaching school at the age of eighteen and taught ten terms, and has to some extent been engaged in land surveying. He married Nellie M. PERKINS, March 3, 1880; she is a daughter of John L. PERKINS and granddaughter of John PERKINS, who was for about fifty years one of the prominent and wealthy citizens of East Otto. They have two sons. In 1881 Mr. MATTESON. engaged in the insurance business. He has been town clerk four years and is now serving his second term as supervisor, being elected in 1893 by the unprecedented majority of 112. He is also postmaster of East Otto, which office he held during Harrison's administration.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Pages 559 & 560

Surnames: ORR, RUSH, KRUSE

Cyrus ORR, the father of George F., came from Cortland County in 1833 and located in the northwest part of East Otto, where he resided until his death in 1855. He left four sons and two daughters. George F., the oldest, was born Nov. 13, 1842. His early years were spent on his father's farm with common school privileges and Sept. 2, 1864, he enlisted in Co. A, 9th N. Y. Cav., was mustered in Sept. 9, and remained in remount camp, Pleasant Valley, Md., and on detached service till Dec., when he joined the regiment near Winchester and was with it in all the actions and raids in the Shenandoah valley during the winter of 1864-65. In the Gordonsville raid he received injuries by his horse falling on him. He was mustered out June 1, 1865. Sept. 19, 1866, he married Mary, daughter of George RUSH. They have one daughter, Isa (Mrs. E. F. KRUSE). For about twenty years Mr. ORR has been engaged in wagon and carriage manufacturing in East Otto village, where he resides. He is drawing a pension for disabilities received in the army. John W. ORR, a brother of George F., was a member of Co. C, 64th N. Y. Vol. Inf., and was killed at Antietam on Sept. 18, 1862.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 560

Surnames: PERKINS, MATTESON, ZEILMAN

Everett H. PERKINS was born in East Otto, Dec. 6, 1862. His grandfather, John PERKINS, was born in Vermont, July 15, 1810, and came to this town in 1833, where for many years he was prominent in all matters relating to its business, social, and moral interests. He was an earnest member of the M. E. church and gave largely of his means to sustain its educational and benevolent interests. He died Oct. 15, 1891. John L. PERKINS, the father of Everett H., was the only one of six children who lived to attain their majority; he was born Sept. 23, 1836. He was supervisor two terms (1865-66) and justice of the peace a number of years. His death occurred Nov. 5, 1868. He left a widow and four children, only two of whom are now living: Everett H. and his sister, Mrs. G. A. MATTESON. The mother died Nov. 20, 1885. Everett H. PERKINS married, Nov. 20, 1884, Mary, daughter of John ZEILMAN, of Ashford. They have two daughters. Mr. PERKINS owns the homestead farm 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 560

Surnames: PHILBRICK, HAWKINS, DEWEY

Roswell P. PHILBRICK was born in Persia, Aug. 15, 1864. His father, Hon. Franklin PHILBRICK, was a prominent citizen of that town, in which he occupied responsible official positions. In 1861 he represented the Second Assembly District of Cattaraugus county in the State Legislature, making an honorable record both for his district and himself; he was supervisor of Dayton in 1854 and 1856. In 1865 he removed to Erie county, where he died when Roswell P. was fourteen months old. The mother of Roswell P. (now Mrs. Daniel HAWKINS) gave him, in addition to the school privileges of Angola village, several terms of school in Buffalo and a three months course in Bryant & Stratton's Business College. Sept. 14, 1885, he married Alice E., daughter of T. M. DEWEY, one of the old residents of East Otto, he having previously come to this town, took up his residence in the village, and in 1888 engaged in the furniture and undertaking business. Jan. 10, 1893, his wife died. He is serving his fifth consecutive term as town clerk of East Otto.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 560

Surnames: RANKE, WOLF, LANGHAUS

Edward RANKE was born in East Otto, Oct. 23, 1864. In 1853 his father, John RANKE, emigrated from Germany; he was a native of Mechlenberg, Schwerein, and was born May 12, 1827. About one year after his arrival in America he came to East Otto, where he finally purchased a large farm in the southeast corner of the town. He married, in 1953, Dora, daughter of Henry WOLF, of this town; they have three sons and three daughters, all married but one daughter. Edward RANKE was educated both in German and English schools, and married, Oct. 22, 1888, Augusta, daughter of John LANGHAUS, of Ellicottville. They have a son and an infant daughter. Mr. RANKE has purchased the homestead, on which he keeps a large dairy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Pages 560 & 561

Surnames: RICE, PINDAR

Hon. Elijah A. RICE was one of the foremost pioneers of Cattaraugus county. Such a mighty influence did he exert on subsequent generations that his name shines with peculiar luster on the pages of history. No citizen ever gave his community a healthier energy, a wider influence, a purer patriotism. A man of good address he was an interesting speaker, a brilliant conversationalist, an active temperance advocate, and a sterling exponent of thorough education. His little locality furnished to the world more eminent men than any similar area of terra firma in the county, and it was due to his own high principles and moral worth that so much was accomplished. Lawyers, governors, physicians, soldiers, and statesmen went forth into the world from his community as shining lights of his great energy and unparalleled influence. Mr. RICE, although a farmer by occupation, devoted much of his life to land surveying, and so great was his skill in this profession that his word was considered as paramount authority. He was the ultimate arbitrator for many years in numerous cases involving boundaries and land controversies, and his decisions were never questioned. As a surveyor he was employed by the Holland Land Company and its successors and by Nicholas Devereux. 

Mr. RICE was born in Shaftsbury, Vt., Sept. 20, 1795. Orphaned at an early age he removed to Washington county, N. Y., and lived with a relative until 1809. He then started in life alone. By economy and perseverance he gained a good classical education and mastered land surveying. He volunteered in the War of 1812 and participated in the battle of Plattsburgh, and in 1818 he moved to Herkimer county. In 1819 he removed to Otsego county, where he surveyed and laid out the now celebrated village of Richfield Springs. In 1823 he came to Cattaraugus county on a visit, which he repeated in 1824 and 1825, each time on foot, and in the latter year located a farm in East Otto and erected a log house. In the spring of 1826 he brought his family hither and continued his residence in this county until his removal to Wisconsin in 1854. He subsequently moved to Minnesota. Mr. RICE was school commissioner of Cattaraugus county seven years and represented his district in the State Legislature in 1842 and again in 1846. His four sons were lawyers and attained positions of prominence and responsibility. His only daughter married Rev. William E. PINDAR of the M. E. church.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 561

Surnames: SAFFORD, GAMPP, ARMSTRONG

Pearl P. SAFFORD was born in Windham county, Conn., Aug. 25, 1837. His father, Halsey SAFFORD, came to East Otto in 1839 and located on the farm where Pearl P. now resides, and which has always remained in the family. Halsey SAFFORD was the first person to start a cheese factory in East Otto; he erected the large factory at the village about 1867 now belonging to Jacob GAMPP, and manufactured cheese several years, but subsequently sold the factory and moved back to his farm. He was supervisor (in 1868) and commissioner of highways. His death occurred in 1885; his wife died in 1890, aged seventy-three years. Children: Pearl P. and John. Pearl P. has since his majority continued to live on the homestead farm. He married, Feb. 16, 1859, Eliza C., daughter of Jedediah ARMSTRONG. Children: a daughter who died in infancy; Addison H., who resides on the homestead; Charles E., a carpenter in East Otto village; and Harry M.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Pages 561 & 562

Surnames: SCOTT, BULLIS, HAMMOND, HAWKINS

Wilber L. SCOTT's ancestry dates back to Connecticut, whence his great-grandfather, Justus SCOTT, emigrated to Wallingford, Vt., where he was one of the first settlers, and where, in 1799, Justus SCOTT, the grandfather of W. L., was born. In 1816 Justus SCOTT came to Springville, Erie County, where Justus J. SCOTT was born May 14, 1818, being the first child born there. About 1830 he came with his father to East Otto, where he became a prosperous farmer and was for a number of years a magistrate of the town. He died suddenly in Cattaraugus village in 1865. His widow, who is still living, was Catharine, daughter of Dr. Levi BULLIS, an early physician in East Otto. Children: Mary E. (Mrs. William HAMMOND), born in 1838; Marshall E., born May 10, 1842, who served three years in the 9th N, Y. Cav.; and Wilber L., born Dec. 21, 1848. Besides the privileges of the district school W. L. attended several terms at Griffith Institute at Springville, and Feb. 25, 1874, he married Eliza, daughter of John HAWKINS. Mr. SCOTT was a plumber and tinner fifteen years, living part of the time in Salamanca and six years in Cattaraugus village, and about two years ago he bought the homestead on which he was born. Children: Elbert J., born Feb. 16, 1876; Adams H., born June 6, 1877; and Frank W., born March 3, 1880.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 562

Surnames: SIKES, SCOVEL, EDMUNDS, TORRANCE, BROWN

Ladore V. and Stillman R. SIKES are sons of Hiram SIKES, who came from Washington, Mass., to East Otto in 1831. The lineage of the family is traced back to Richard SIKES, who was born in London, England, about the year 1600, and who came to America not far from 1640; from him descended in the following order Jonathan SIKES, Jonathan SIKES, Jr., Posthumas SIKES, Stephen SIKES, and Shadrach SIKES, the father of Hiram. Hiram SIKES was born Feb. 12, 1811, in Massachusetts, settled in East Otto in 1831, married Lodema SCOVEL on March 3, 1836, and resided here till his death Sept. 6, 1886. He had five sons and one daughter; but three of them are living, viz.: Ladore V., born July 8, 1849; Stillman R., born July 8, 1851; and Elton, born March 28, 1854. Ladore V. SIKES married, Jan. 7, 1875, Emily EDMUNDS, who died June 3, 1876; on the 2d day of April, 1878, he married Rhoda J. TORRANCE, his present wife. By his first marriage he has one son, Ceylon; by his second wife he has two sons, John and Lester, and one daughter, Lodema. He resides about three miles southeast of East Otto village, where he has a sawmill. Stillman R. SIKES married Frances A., daughter of T. Frank BROWN, March 3, 1875. They have one son, Ferry, and one daughter. Mr. SIKES resides in East Otto village.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 562

Surnames: SLOCUM, WICKHAM, PRATT, HARRISON

Nathan J. SLOCUM was born in Herkimer county April 13, 1834. In 1843 his father, John SLOCUM, came to East Otto and in 1844 settled on a farm in the northwest part of the town, which has remained in possession of the family to the present time. He had seven daughters and six sons, of whom six daughters and five sons are living. Mr. SLOCUM died Sept. 16, 1877; his wife survives him. In Aug. 1861, Nathan J. SLOCUM enlisted in Co. C, 64th N. Y. Vol. Inf., for three years, and on the 23d of Sept. was mustered in at Elmira. He was at the siege of Yorktown, was taken sick on the march from Williamsburg towards Richmond, and did not participate in the battle of Fair Oaks; was in the Seven Days Fight, Second Bull Run, South Mountain, and Antietam, previous to which he had been detailed to General Richardson's headquarters as cook. General Richardson being killed at Antietam he again joined the regiment and was in the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, and to Petersburg, where he was discharged Sept. 23, 1864. After the battle of Fair Oaks, while on picket duty, his left cheek was grazed by a bullet from a rebel sharpshooter. He married, Sept. 28, 1865, Emma E., daughter of James WICKHAM, of East Otto; children: Nellie R. (Mrs. Albert PRATT), of Dunkirk, and William J., who married Helen M., daughter of John HARRISON.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Pages 562 & 563

Surnames: TEFFT, DEWEY, NILES, STEELE

Alexander TEFFT, son of Oliver and Deborah (DEWEY) TEFFT, was born in Rhode Island, July 19, 1784, and came to East Otto in 1828, dying here in 1868. He was a farmer and as well a Freewill Baptist preacher; his wife was Deborah, daughter of Nathaniel and Deborah (NILES) NILES, and their children were Nathaniel Niles, Alexander, Samuel, Deborah A., Dewey, Polly, Oliver D., and Olive. The latter married Solomon STEELE and has been a preacher in the Free Methodist church for several years, ministering to congregations of that denomination in a number of towns in Cattaraugus County. Dewey TEFFT was a Free Methodist minister for twenty years and died in this town January 8, 1892. Nathaniel Niles TEFFT was born Aug. 12, 1814, and acquired considerable fame as a surveyor. He served East Otto as supervisor in 1867 and 1872. Alexander TEFFT held several offices of trust, and besides was a writer of no mean ability; his productions comprised both poetry and prose.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Pages 563

Surnames: TUTHILL, GUERNSEY, PETTY

Harvey TUTHILL traces his lineage back several generations. His great-grandfather, John TUTHILL, was born on Long Island, Sept. 8, 1742; his grandfather, Samuel TUTHILL, was born May 17, 1768; and his father, Samuel TUTHILL, Jr., was born in Windham county, Vt., May 29, 1797. He married, Oct. 17, 1822, Sarah GUERNSEY, a descendant of the ancient titled GUERNSEY families of England. Previous to his marriage Mr. TUTHILL had been to East Otto, selected a farm, and cleared a small piece of land; after his marriage he, with his wife, started for their wilderness home, where they arrived Jan. 23, 1823. About two years later he located on the farm now owned by Harvey TUTHILL, where he resided till his death. Mr. TUTHILL was for many years a prominent citizen of the town, holding several offices of trust and responsibility. He and his wife were constituent members of the Baptist church, of which he was chosen one of its first deacons in 1825. He left a family of two sons and two daughters. Col. Henry G. TUTHILL raised a company in Nunda in 1861, joined the 104th N. Y. Vol. Inf., and was a brave and efficient officer through the war. He was wounded at Antietam, and at Gettysburg was shot through the groin and still carries the ball in his body. He is an architect in Corning. Miss Anna TUTHILL is a graduate of the Art Department of Cooper Union, New York city. She taught that branch of education four years in Freehold University, New Jersey, was engaged in the same department three years in Deland University in Deland, Fla., and is now teaching in McFerrin College in Martin, Tenn. She was in Charleston, S. C., when Fort Sumter was bombarded. Harvey TUTHILL was born in East Otto, Oct. 27, 1835, on the farm on which he now lives, and where he has always made his home. He obtained his education in the district school and Sept. 4, 1881, married Jennie E. PETTY, of Burlington, Vt., daughter of Rev. McKendree PETTY, A.M., a clergyman of the M. E. church and professor of mathematics and natural history in Vermont University. Mr. TUTHILL is a leading member of the Baptist church, having been deacon nineteen years and has been sixteen years justice of the peace.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 563

Surnames: UTLEY, BROWN, BROOKS

Rodney C. UTLEY was born in Pawlet, Vt., July 22, 1823. He is the youngest son of Capt. Leonard UTLEY, who came to East Otto in 1835 with his family of four sons and three daughters and settled on a farm in the north part of the town, afterward owned by his son, Leonard S. UTLEY. He died in 1862. There are now living of the family the three daughters and Rodney C. The latter married. April 23, 1848, Malvina, daughter of James L. BROWN, who died March 14, 1867. He married, second, Electa A., daughter of Philo BROOKS, of Otto, Feb. 3, 1871. By his first marriage he had two daughters and one son; by his second wife he has three sons and one daughter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Pages 563 & 564

Surnames: WHITMEYER, KERN

Nicholas WHITMEYER was born in France, July 4, 1844, and in 1856, in company with an older brother and two sisters, he came to America and settled in Boston, Erie County. In 1859 he came to Otto, where he worked till the summer of 1861, and on the 16th of Aug. enlisted in Co. C, 64th N. Y. Vol. Inf., for three years. He was in the battle of Fair Oaks and in the Seven Days' Fight, where he was prostrated by sunstroke and sent to the hospital. After partially recovering he was detailed to guard duty and stationed on Governor Wise's farm. He joined his regiment in June 1863 and was in the battle of Gettysburg, the Wilderness, and Spotsylvania, where on May 12, 1864 he received a bayonet wound in his arm and while in the hospital was taken prisoner the next morning by the Black Horse Cavalry, but escaped during the night of the 13th and lay in hiding all the 14th, partly in the water of the North Anna river. He crossed the river just before night, but was discovered and shot at a number of times, escaped, and reached the Union lines about two o'clock next morning. He was again sent to the hospital and rejoined his regiment at Cold Harbor, was in the siege of Petersburg, and was present at the surrender of General Lee, having re-enlisted in the winter of 1863-64. He was mustered out at Elmira in July, 1865. In July 1866, he married Catharine, daughter of John KERN, of Eden, Erie County; they lived in Erie county ten years and in the town of Otto thirteen years, and since 1888 have resided in East Otto village, where he carries on a meat market. They have three daughters and three sons living and a son and a daughter deceased.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of East Otto – Chapter XXIV (24)

Page 564

Surname: WILLIAMS

Lyman WILLIAMS came from Vermont to East Otto about 1830, at which time his son, Solomon WILLIAMS, the father of Dr. Elmer D., was about two years old. He afterward located permanently in Mansfield, where he was for many years a prominent citizen and substantial farmer, and where he resided till his death. Solomon WILLIAMS passed nearly all of his active life in Mansfield and died in 1887. His son, Dr. Elmer D. WILLIAMS, is the oldest of one brother and two sisters. See Medical chapter, page 124.
 

Back To Cattaraugus County


If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact me at:

Painted Hills

This page is maintained by the PHGS
 Last Update January 25, 2004

© 2002 by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society
Main | Email Us | Look-Ups | Members Family Pages
Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer

Website designed by Frankie Stonemetz
2002© Painted Hills Genealogy Society
All Rights Reserved