TOWN OF CARROLTON

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES FROM: "HISTORICAL GAZETTEER AND BIOGRAPHICAL MEMORIAL of CATTARAUGUS COUNTY, NY, ed by WILLIAM ADAMS, Published 1893
 
 

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 469

Surnames: ADAMS, WADE, CORKINS

John Smith ADAMS, son of William and Magdalene (WADE) ADAMS, was born in Massachusetts, April 23, 1806. His ancestors came from England to America about 1630. In 1820, as near as can be ascertained, he came to Farmersville with his parents, where he married Theda CORKINS, January 17, 1831, who was born October 18, 1811. In 1834, they emigrated to Ohio with a team and heavy wagon and settled in Lorain, on a farm adjoining his brothers, W.H.H. and Lyman. He was there a farmer and a ship-carpenter and returned to Cattaraugus County in 1883 and spent the remainder of his old age with his son, Albert Quincy ADAMS, in where he died, March 21, 1889.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 469

Surnames: ADAMS, NICHOLS, BOSWORTH

Albert Quincy ADAMS was born in Loraine, Ohio, July 14, 1844. With his father's consent he enlisted in the 55th Ohio Infantry and was mustered in September 11, 1861, being honorably discharged November 5, 1862, on account of a gunshot wound in his left leg received at the second battle of Bull Run. He returned home and was employed to drive a team for the government in Kentucky in the winter of 1863-64. In the summer of 1864 he was employed on board a government tugboat on the Potomac and James rivers. In the fall of 1864 he came to Carrolton and ran a stationary engine in the steam sawmill of Dr. J. NICHOLS for nine years. He settled on the place where he now resides in 1868, and has since been a farmer. December 5, 1866 he married Euthenia BOSWORTH and they have two sons and two daughters. Their oldest child, May B., is a successful teacher.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 469

Surnames: ANDREWS, WILMOT, IRVINE

Harper G. ANDREWS, son of Robert H. and Julia E. (WILMOT) ANDREWS, was born in Windsor, Broome county, February 3, 1845. He was educated in the common schools, at Rogers Seminary at Great Bend, Pa., and at Lowell's Business College in Binghampton. He was a farmer with his father until July 23, 1862, when, with his father's consent, he enlisted in Co. B, 137th NY Vols., and returned at the close of the war with the rank of first lieutenant. He participated in all the events of his regiment, marched to the sea with Sherman, and returned by way of Richmond to Washington. He led a charmed life and only received one gunshot wound in his right arm at the Battle of Peach Tree Creek. He was honorably discharged June 20, 1865. He was again a farmer with his father the ensuing two years. In November, 1867, he settled in Limestone as a clerk and two years later engaged in the manufacture and sale of lumber, which he followed until 1881. He then conducted a hotel up to 1890. Mr. ANDREWS is a staunch Republican, and has been elected assessor and two times supervisor. May 5, 1869, he married Mary A. IRVINE, of Carrolton. They have had three children, all of whom died in early childhood.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Pages 469 & 470

Surnames: BAILLET, WHITCOMB, LEONARD

Felix BAILLET, born November 22, 1802, married Aff. WHITCOMB, who was born April 11, 1807, and removed from Farmersville to Limestone in the fall of 1852. He built a small tannery, the first in town, and tanned leather and made boots and shoes. His brother, Francis E. BAILLET, was clerk of Cattaraugus county for nine years. Felix BAILLET was a great reader, well informed, was familiar with the bible, and loved an argument, especially with the clergymen. He had a mind and will of his own. He was supervisor of this town in 1867. He removed with his family to Tullahoma, Tennesee, in 1868, where he still resides. His father, Francis BAILLET, was born in Rocheforte, France in 1769, and died in Philadelphia in 1804.

John W. BAILLET, son of Felix, was born in Farmersville, March 12, 1837. January 31, 1864, he married Abigail, daughter of Levi LEONARD. He was a railroad conductor and train dispatcher for eighteen years. He was always affable and kind. He died in 1881. His only surviving child is a son, Frank, born July 26, 1871. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 470

Surnames: BEARDSLEY, BROMLEY, WHITAKER, HAZARD, LEONARD, IRVINE, HULL

John Odell BEARDSLEY was born in Dutchess county in 1779 and married Charity BROMLEY, of Delhi, NY. Being a lumberman and merchant with his father they used the Delaware River as a means of transportation to and from Philadelphia. Mr. BEARDSLEY removed to near Seneca Lake and in 1813 or 1814 to Chataqua County, where he was a successful lumberman until 1829, when he came to Tuna Valley and purchased several hundred acres of pine land in the township of Bradford, Pa., and engaged extensively in manufacturing lumber. In February 1831, he brought his family to his log cabin. In a few years he built a comfortable residence, the center of which was exactly on the state line. He claimed his residence in Pennsylvania. In 1836, with his sons John O. and William, he built a double mill on Foster Brook, where they were engaged in manufacturing lumber to the time of his death, April 23, 1842. John O., William and Hiram were all lumbermen. They had a tract of land along the state line in Carrolton which contained 2000 acres, from which they cut the timber. 

J. O. BEARDSLEY was the river pilot for the family from the age of fifteen years and took millions of feet of lumber to market. He became a prominent man in society and the first leader of the M.E. class organized in Carrolton in 1850. He is now a farmer in Sardinia, Erie county. Mr. BEARDSLEY married Alinda WHITAKER and his children are Malvina, born Nov. 10, 1836 of Arcade, NY; Louenza (Mrs. Richard HAZARD), of Limestone; Lucy, born May 6, 1842, wife of Joseph LEONARD, of Carrolton; Charles O., born May 10, 1844, of Duluth, Minn.; Louise J., born Oct. 27, 1846 (Mrs. M.W. Caffee), of Bradford; Millie A. , born Nov. 14, 1850 (Mrs. Guy C. IRVINE), of IRVINE's Mills; Clinton J., born Sept. 18, 1853, a farmer on the homestead; and Wilbur G., born Nov. 18, 1858. 

Hiram BEARDSLEY, youngest son of John O., Sr., was born March 25, 1825. He married Mandana HULL, succeeded his father on the homestead, and gave his mother a home until she died in August, 1876, aged ninety-two years. He built his present fine residence in 1880, north of of the State line. In 1865, Hiram and William BEARDSLEY, with a company of capitalists, took the first leases of territory and made a test by drilling the first well in this region on land where the city of Bradford has since been built. Although this well was not a success, because it was not bored deep enough, it established two facts: that oil did exist in paying quantities, and that William and Hiram BEARDSLEY were the pioneers in the discovery of petroleum in Tuna Valley. On the farm of Hiram BEARDSLEY is the first paying well in Carrolton. This was drilled in the winter of 1875-76 and is still yielding oil. William BEARDSLEY died in October, 1885. He served the town as supervisor in 1855, 1856 and 1857.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 471

Surname: BEDELL

Jacob BEDELL, a native of Branchville, NJ, was born March 1, 1840. His parents removed to Owego in 1850, where he resided until 1860, when he joined them in Prompton, PA. He then began business for himself as a jobber in lumbering. He has since been a jobber and overseer of lumbering and peeling bark, except three years and a half spent on contract work in the coal mines. In 1879 he began business as a jobber in peeling bark for Hoyt Brothers in Gouldsboro, Pa, which employed him there and in Hillsgrove, Pa. about six years. Since then he has resided in Limestone and is the overseer for Hoyt Brothers in the business in which he has long been an expert. Mr. BEDELL is efficient and trustworthy. In March 1881, he married Emma ENGLER, of Gouldsboro, Pa. they have two daughters, Maud and Frances M.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 471

Surname: BIDEN

Rev. J.D. BIDEN, born in Buffalo, September 30, 1852, spent his boyhood in Cattaraugus county and acquired his early education in the common school on Whig Street in Little Valley. After a short business career in Buffalo, he entered Niagara University in 1874 and in December 1879, received the degree of A.B. After a two years’ course in theology he received in 1881 the degree of A.M. and was ordained to the priesthood of the Roman Catholic church June 3, 1882. He then spent one year as assistant at West Seneca. August 1, 1883, he was appointed pastor of St. Patrick’s church of Limestone, where he still officiates. Since coming to Limestone, he has purchased a cemetery for the parish, enlarged and greatly improved the parsonage, has wrought many other necessary improvements, and has built a small but neat church edifice at Carrolton village. He has also started a fund to build a more commodious church at Limestone. He served a term on the Board of Education.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 471

Surnames: BISSELL, PULLEN, NICHOLS, PATON, BEEBE

Byron BISSELL , son of Aaron and Delilah (PULLEN) BISSELL, was born on the BISSELL homestead in Lyndon, November 5, 1849, and was educated in the common school and Ten Broeck Academy. He was a farmer with his father until he attained his majority and the winter ensuing taught the district school where he had himself been taught. He spent two years of the ensuing ten as druggist’s clerk with Dr. James NICHOLS in Limestone, two or three years on the home farm in Lyndon, where he held the offices of town clerk and justice of the peace, and the remainder of the period was engaged in the oil business in Pennsylvania. August 26, 1880, he succeeded Dr. NICHOLS in the firm of NICHOLS & PATON, druggists, of Limestone. Since 1883, when he purchased Mr. PATON’s interest, Mr. BISSELL has conducted the business alone. He has held the positions of deputy postmaster and trustee and president of the village. October 10, 1875, he married Ella BEEBE of Carrolton. They have five children: Jennie H., Clara M., Maud, and Leon B. and Lena (twins). 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 471

Surnames: BOSWORTH, PAGE, ADAMS, NICHOLS

Alonzo BOSWORTH was born in Marion, Wayne county, June 17, 1823, and moved with his parents to New Hudson, Allegany county when about five years old where his parents resided to the close of their lives. Alonzo BOSWORTH married, in November, 1854, in Allegany county, Amelia PAGE, who died in June, 1855 and in February, 1861, he married second, Sarah ADAMS, who was born in Deerfield, Oneida county in 1832. Her father, Israel ADAMS, was a native of New Hampshire and of English descent. Mr. BOSWORTH is a lumberman and has been employed as head sawyer and manager of the lumber firm of NICHOLS & Co. for more than twenty years. He now gives his attention to his farm.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Pages 471 & 472

Surnames: BROWN, SMITH, ARMSTRONG, SEYMOUR

Ansel J. BROWN, youngest child of Erastus BROWN, a pioneer of Mansfield, was born on the homestead January 8, 1849, was reared a farmer, and was educated in the district school. His father died when he was only eleven years old. At eighteen, he and his brother Levi bought the homestead and together cultivated it about twenty years. In the spring of 1883 Mr. BROWN opened a general store at Union Corners, near his old home, where he remained until the spring of 1887, when he purchased his present sore in Limestone. In 1875 he made an extensive tour through California. April 6, 1870, Mr. BROWN married Ellen L., daughter of Lorenzo H. SMITH, of Mansfield. Their children are Harry, who married Miss ARMSTRONG; Clara (Mrs. George SEYMOUR); and Melva. Mr. BROWN is a musician and Mrs. BROWN conducts a millinery store.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 472

Surnames: CARMODY, O’DAY, SCANLON

John CARMODY was born in county Clare, Ireland, in 1823. He resided in England three or four years, where he married Mary O’DAY, a native of Ireland, and born in 1830. They came to New York City in 1853; he was engaged on the Erie and New York Central Railroads until 1858, when he came to Limestone, where he was employed in the tannery until 1866. He then purchased a wood lot of fifty acres in the neighborhood known as New Ireland, where he resided about two years. In November, 1869, he settled on the farm where he now resides. This farm, with the aid of his industrious sons, he has converted into well-cultivated fields and a good home. In March, 1875, he leased fifty acres of his farm for oil purposes, with a royalty of one-eighth net to himself, and has an income from six producing wells. Mr. and Mrs. CARMODY have had born to them eight children, three of whom died young. Those now living are Michael, Kate M., John F., Mary, and Ellen A. Michael and John are contractors and jobbers in drilling oil and gas wells; Kate M. and Ellen A. are teachers; Mary (Mrs. M. SCANLON) resides in Bradford, Pa.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 472

Surnames: COGSWELL, LAWTON, BROOKS, TALLMAN, LAWSON

Mason W. COGSWELL, son of Samuel, was born in Warren, Pa., November 4, 1822, and about 1847 came to Carrolton, where he began manufacturing square timber and pine shingles. With four or five others he lived in a shanty kept by a mulatto. When their raft of timber arrived at Warren Mr. COGSWELL took charge of it and ran it down to Pittsburgh. He was known as one of the most capable pilots on the river. Until 1882 or ’83 he made dozens of trips a pilot and was successful with all but one. In 1853 he settled where he now resides and is engaged in farming. August 1, 1851 he married Sarah LAWTON, who bore him these children: Adelaide and Hannah, who died in childhood; Chloe A. (Mrs. W. BROOKS), born April 3, 1857, died February 10, 1877; John L., born August 23, 1859, married Sylvia TALLMAN, of Minnesota and resides on the homestead with his father; and Perry M., born February 10, 1862, also with his father. Mrs. COGSWELL died February 10, 1863. January 1, 1874 he married second, Phoebe LAWSON.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 472

Surnames: COWEN, HILL

George J. COWEN was born in Candor, Tioga county, in June 1840. His father was a shoemaker and later a grocer in Limestone, where he died in 1873. August 6, 1862, George J. enlisted in Co. C, 109th N. Y. Volunteers, and he participated in all the events of his regiment for two years, when he was sent to the hospital to recover from an amputated finger. He left before it was fairly healed and assisted in repelling the attempted assault on Washington. Soon afterward he was transferred to the 13th Veteran Reserve Corps, from which he was discharged July 13, 1865. He immediately settled in Limestone, where he was a grocery man with his father one year. Mr. COWEN has served as constable since 1885, and since 1882 he has been police constable of Limestone. August 29, 1865, he married Anna A. HILL, and their children now living are Fred C., Georgianna N., and Luney M. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Pages 472 & 473

Surname: CROWLEY

John J. CROWLEY, son of Dennis, was born in Cattaraugus, May 12, 1866, and attended the Union Free School of his native village. He began to learn telegraphy at the age of fourteen, and became an operator for the Buffalo, Rochester and & Pittsburgh railroad at the age of sixteen. One year later he was operator and clerk at Mt. Jewett, Pa., and two years afterward was made station agent of Limestone, taking charge March 1, 1886. His is a family of railroad men.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 473

Surnames: DREHMER, COMMON

Jacob G. DREHMER was born in Dansville, NY, February 2, 1844; enlisted August 1, 1862 on Co. B, 1st N. Y. Dragoons, and was honorably discharged June 10, 1865. Mr. DREHMER participated in the battle of Cold Harbor, where he received an injury in his left leg and was excused from duty in consequence for about a week, but did not leave his regiment. He was present also at the Wilderness, Winchester, Cedar Creek, Yellow Tavern, Fisher’s Hill, the siege of Suffolk, and other battles and skirmishes. Since returning from the army, he has pursued his trade as a manufacturer of boots and shoes. Mr. DREHMER married Julia L. COMMON, of Angelica, NY, and they have one son. Mr. DREHMER is a Republican. Both are members of the Methodist church, of which he is one of the trustees, having held the position the last fourteen years. He has also served as superintendent of the Sunday school.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 473

Surnames: FRANK, MULTER, WATERS

Daniel FRANK, son of Daniel, a pioneer of Ashford, married Catherine, daughter of Peter MULTER, also a pioneer of Ashford. He was a farmer and blacksmith. He came to Vandalia and built the fences from Olean to Dunkirk for the Erie railroad by contract. He also carried on his trade of blacksmith, and was the superintendent in the construction of the State road from Vandalia to Great Valley. In 1861 he enlisted in the 64th NY Inf. for three years. He stood six feet three and one-half inches in his stockings. The exposures of army life brought on inflammatory rheumatism, and after a period of treatment in the hospital he was discharged an invalid. He returned home about eleven months after he entered the service and died two years later. Mrs. FRANK died October 25, 1888. Their son, Clark FRANK, was born in Otto, March 27, 1844. August 31, 1862 , he enlisted in 111th N. Y. Inf., participated in all the engagements of the Army of the Potomac, was never in the hospital nor away from his company until he received a wound from a minieball that struck him a little above the heart, passed through his left lung and out at his back. By a strange coincidence his brother Sylvester, a soldier in the 61st Regiment, received precisely such a wound the same day and in the same battle. They were treated in the same ward of the hospital by the same surgeon, recovered at the same time, were honorably discharged June 14, 1865, and went home together. November 7, 1868, Clark FRANK married Lucina WATERS, of Limestone. He conducted a grocery in Carrolton and was a lumberman until about 1870. He was successively baggagemaster, telegraph operator, and three years station agent at Limestone. Since 1888 he has been a farmer. Mr. FRANK has officiated as justice of the peace eight years, and has held several other town offices. He has five children. James D. FRANK, son of Daniel, was born March 23, 1854. He learned telegraphy without a tutor, was assistant station agent at Carrolton, and for eight years was station agent at Great Valley. He is now the station agent and telegraph operator at Vandalia.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Pages 473 & 474

Surnames: FULLER, KENYON, McMILLEN, LEONARD, JONES

Chase FULLER, son of John and Betsey FULLER, was born in Piermont, NH, April 18, 1797, received a good business education, and married Nancy KENYON, of Holland, NY on May 5, 1822. She was born January 12, 1802 at Stanley, Connecticut. They came to Freedom in the winter of 1839-40. In February 1844, they removed to Carrolton on lot 25, where the village of Limestone has since been built. His residence, a two story log house, was located where the Bateman house now stands. Mr. FULLER was an extensive farmer and a manufacturer and dealer in pine lumber, which he rafted down the river to Cincinnati. In 1846 he opened a general mercantile establishment where the Tuna Valley store now stands. Mr. FULLER was a man of good business ability, well informed, and a leading and prominent citizen. He was elected supervisor of Carrolton in 1844 and represented the town ten years and held the same office in Humphrey four years. He officiated as magistrate over forty years and as associate judge of the county several terms. As magistrate, he was the trial justice and officiated at nearly 200 weddings. Early in life he began practice in justice’s courts and continued successfully until old age compelled him to relinquish the work. In the spring of 1857 he removed to Humphrey, where he gave his attention to his farm, the various offices which he held, and his law practice. In 1868, he removed to Virginia, where he was postmaster; but five years later returned to Carrolton, where he died January 25, 1880. Mrs. FULLER survived him until December 24, 1887. Their children were: Philetus M., born May 4, 1823, now of Smethport , Pa, a soldier in the union army five years, a magistrate eight years, associate judge five years, county commissioner six years, and has been a heavy oil producer; Lafayette T., born March 25, 1825, living near Bradford, PA; Manley C., born April 3, 1827, a magistrate in Carrolton several years, removed to Rochester, Minnesota in 1865, was elected to the legislature in 1868 and in 1870; Dolly P., born May 8, 1829, widow of Marcus McMILLEN, of Olean; Romanzo E., born May 22, 1833, married Harriet, daughter of Calvin LEONARD, September 11, 1853 and their children are Herbert C., a railroad bridge builder in Nebraska, Jerome H., a farmer and oil well driller near Limestone, and Sam R., an oil producer in Forest county, PA; Desire E., born November 3, 1835, widow of Almanzer JONES, of Allegany; and Millard F., born February 15, 1850, died at the age of fourteen years. Romanzo E. FULLER is a carpenter and builder by trade, which until recently has been his avocation. He was elected magistrate of Carrolton in 1866 and has served in that position twenty-four years. He has also held other important town offices.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 474

Surnames: GREENWOOD, ROCKWELL

Joseph GREENWOOD, son of Robert, was born in Manchester, England in 1843, emigrated to America with his parents in 1848, and settled fi rst in Massachusetts, where he resided until twelve years old. His mother died in 1855, and Joseph then had a home with his grandparents in Patterson, NJ, with whom he lived until 1859, when he became an apprentice to the trade of tinner in Orange, NJ, where he remained until 1862. He then enlisted in the 26th N. J. Vols. and was honorably discharged June 7, 1863. In March 1864, he enlisted in the US Navy and was discharged in June 1865. Mr. GREENWOOD settled on Oil creek in August, 1865, and was a tinner there until 1871, when he began dealing in hardware and oil supplies in Salem. PA. In 1876, he came to Limestone and opened a general hardware store, which he still conducts. Mr. GREENWOOD is a staunch republican, but is not an office seeker. In 1868, he married Celestia A. ROCKWELL, of Summit, PA and they have had four children, of whom Joseph P. and John W. are now living.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Pages 474 & 475

Surnames: GRIMES, DUDLEY, HORTON

William GRIMES was born in New Hampshire, February 2, 1804. In his childhood he removed to the eastern part of New York State and finally married Margaret DUDLEY. He afterward resided a few years in Vermont and came thence to Essex county, N. Y. where he was a jobber in cutting and hauling lumber. He removed to Tiffanyville, Chatauqua county, where he stocked and ran the mills of Jehiel Tiffany. In the fall of 1840 or ‘41, he settled on the Nine Mile of the Allegheny River at what is now the village of Vandalia, and for about four years conducted the lumber mills of Guy C. Irvine and Judge Chamberlain. About 1845 he purchased 900 acres of timberlands and added to them from time to time until he had a tract of 2000 acres. He began cutting and rafting square pine timber and shingles down the river to market, and continued to the close of his life, January 26, 1877. Mr. GRIMES was a man of more than medium height, broad shouldered and muscular, and possessed great powers of endurance. He was ambitious, courageous and industrious, and was known as the poor man’s friend. He was a man of the old school style, strictly honest and upright. His only son, James Henry GRIMES, was born in Vermont February 10, 1829, received a common school education, and succeeded his father in 1877, continuing the business still and manufacturing an average of 1,000,000 feet of lumber annually. Mr. GRIMES is also a farmer on a farm of 100 acres. He employs from ten to twenty-two men. September 25, 1882, he married Anna HORTON, a native of England, and they have one son, William Henry, born December 20, 1885.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 475

Surnames: HAMM, MERKT

John HAMM, a native of Darmstadt, Germany, came with his parents to New York in May, 1853. In 1864, his father removed to Allegany, where he still resides. He settled in Limestone in 1868 and opened a blacksmith shop. A year later he added a custom carriage and sleigh manufactory and gave employment to three men. This he still continues. June 21, 1874 he married Cynthia, daughter of Makerous and Mary MERKT, natives of Wurtemburg, Germany, who came to America in 1853. Children: Carl Joseph and Fred Andrew.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 475

Surnames: HYDE, SCHOONMAKER

Sanford M. HYDE was born in Tolland, Conn. in 1840. He removed to Ellenville, Ulster county in 1850 and began active business at thirteen years of age. At fifteen he was clerking in a general store. He was one of the firm of E.R. SCHOONMAKER & Co. and S.M. HYDE & Co. He conducted Tunaengwant Hotel successfully for three years and was postmaster during Cleveland’s first administration. He is now bookkeeper for the Northern Tier Hemlock Company, Limited, with headquarters at Bradford, Pa. Mr. HYDE was a sergeant in the Union army in the Civil War three months. In October 1862, he married Charlotte J., sister of Hon. E.R. SCHOONMAKER, of Limestone and their children are George, who died at the age of twenty four years; Charles L., a clerk for Stickney, Bell & Co. at Quaker, NY; Robert; and Nellie.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Pages 475 & 476

Surnames: IRVINE, COTTON, CHAMBERLAIN, LOWREY

Guy Carrolton IRVINE, brother of Andrew and uncle of B. F., was born on the West Branch of the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania, the youngest son of a family of twenty-six children. His father died when he was a boy, and young IRVINE was apprenticed to a blacksmith, whom not being a congenial spirit he soundly thrashed and ran away. In very early manhood he resided at Broken Straw, Warren county, Pa. and there began his active business life by jobbing in building roads and bridges. He had dealt in lumber and soon after his marriage with Polly COTTON he bought 2000 acres of timberland on Conewango creek on credit, built mills also on credit, manufactured lumber, built up a small village which took the name of Irvinesburg, and was very successful. About 1837, in company with Judge CHAMBERLAIN and N. A. LOWREY, he purchased a tract of 25,000 acres of land lying in and adjacent to Tuna valley in Carrolton, which was divided among the proprietors. Mr. IRVINE built the original IRVINE Mills in 1840, about half a mile below the site of the mills erected by Stephen and Jesse Morrison in 1828 and on the opposite side of the stream. He was succeeded in 1848 by his nephew, B. F. IRVINE, who had for several years been engaged in business with him. He was an abrupt, fearless, able business man, possessed great energy, and was honest and true. The town named in honor of him took his second name, Carrolton.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 476

Surnames: IRVINE, PARKER, MOSES, LEONARD, ANDREWS, BEARDSLEY

Benjamin F. IRVINE, son of Andrew, was born in Tonawanda, Pa. August 12, 1819, and received a good business education. In the winter of 1841-42 he came to IRVINE’s Mills in the employ of his uncle, Guy C. IRVINE, to haul logs. In drawing the logs to the chute at the top of the hill, where they were slid down into the pond, one of his horses slipped and fell into the chute, dragging his mate and the heavy load with him, and all went down together in a total wreck. This outfit was all Mr. IRVINE had to carry on business. In 1843 he returned and got out square timber and pine shingles, which he rafted to Louisville, continuing until March 1848, when he assumed the management of his uncle’s large lumber business. In 1855, he bought his cousin’s interest in 6000 acres of land. In 1857, the firm of B. F. IRVINE and Nelson PARKER built the sawmill on lot 29 on the site of Morrison’s mill, where they manufactured lumber which they rafted to the markets. In 1865 they sold their entire property to Job MOSES, but in 1869 Mr. IRVINE bought back the mills and 600 acres surrounding them, and enlarged the mills to a daily capacity of 50,000 feet, added a shingle mill, a planer, and a flooring mill, giving him a total capacity of 4,000,000 feet of lumber and 3,000,000 shingles annually. He continued this vast business until his death September 10, 1878. January 1, 1847 he married Rebecca, eldest daughter of Levi LEONARD. Mr. IRVINE possessed many of the characteristics of his uncle, G. C. He had great energy, more than ordinary business ability, was quick to perceive, and bold and fearless to decide and act. While he did business on strict business principles he had a quick ear for the voice of the needy and was not slow to relieve their wants. While he could drive a good bargain he was tender to those in distress and dispensed charity unseen, but with an open hand. The children of Mr. and Mrs. IRVINE were: Mary A., born May 5, 1848, wife of H. G. ANDREWS; Guy C., born March 21, 1850; Andrew L., born May 29, 1854, died November 26, 1855; Leonard C., born March 27, 1856; Jerome N., born October 27, 1857, died April 12, 1859; Benjamin F., Jr., born September 30, 1859, now agent for his mother and manager of the estate; and DeWitt C., born February 24, 1866, died February 4, 1867. June 26, 1872, Guy C. IRVINE married Millie A., youngest daughter of J. O. BEARDSLEY. Mr. IRVINE learned his father’s business as a lumberman, and with his brother, Leonard C., succeeded him at his death in 1878, under the firm name of IRVINE Brothers, who continued it until they sold the mills and fifty acres in 1882 to Plumer, Gilfillan, Steele & Co., the present proprietors. Mr. IRVINE is now a farmer. Leonard C. IRVINE is now bookkeeper for Schoonmaker & Davis.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Pages 476 & 477

Surname: JOHNSON

Allen JOHNSON was born in Monmouth county, N.J., June 6, 1832. August 29, 1861 he enlisted in the 6th N. J. Inf. and served three years. He participated in seventeen general engagements, was never absent from roll call except when on detached service, was never in the guardhouse or hospital, and was never reprimanded by any officer. He was several times struck with spent balls and had two guns shot from his hands. He was honorably discharged in September 1864. In January 1880, he came to Carrolton from Pennsylvania and here he still resides. He is now engaged in selling groceries and stationery at the village of Carrolton. He is a pronounced Democrat, and holds the positions of postmaster, justice of the peace, and overseer of the poor. Mr. JOHNSON is the father of five sons and a daughter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Pages 477 & 478

Surnames: LEONARD, CARGILL, IRVINE, LAWTON, BAILLET, BAKER, SCHOONMAKER, GOODSELL

Levi LEONARD, born in Pennsylvania, February 22, 1809, married April 15, 1828, Elizabeth CARGILL, of Corydon, Pa., a native of Maine, who was born December 25, 1810. In 1832, he came to Carrolton as a lumberman and in 1834 he brought his wife to his log cabin which he had erected near the mouth of the Tuna creek. At that time the vast unbroken forests were in their pristine glory. Mr. LEONARD was a young man of fine physical development, broad shouldered, very muscular, and stood fully six feet high. He was energetic and courageous. Lumbering was then, and for many years after, the leading industry of the county, and the river was the only highway to convey it to market. To accommodate the scores of river men and wood-choppers he built a large hotel at the mouth of the Tuna creek, on the east side of the Allegheny on the Indian reservation, and opened it to the public in 1836. This tavern was a famous resort. He also established a ferry across the river. Mr. LEONARD also dealt extensively in lumber and was famous as a river pilot. He gave his attention mainly to what is known as square timber and handmade pine shingles. His knowledge of the Allegheny was proverbial. He was credited with knowing every shallow and rock, and lumbermen claimed that "LEONARD could sail the river on a dark night with as much safety as midday." Food, clothing, etc. were brought up the stream in canoes and the last one now in the vicinity was constructed by Mr. LEONARD and is still kept by his family as a relic of "ye olden time." To keep a supply of fresh fish with which the river and streams abounded he confined them in a skiff covered with boards and sunk in the water. He was a successful hunter. The city of Buffalo was then quite inaccessible. To make the trip Mr. LEONARD shipped his team and load on his ferry boat to Great Valley, proceeded thence by highway, and returned as he went with provisions and groceries which he dealt out to his neighbors.

Mr. LEONARD was always on the most amicable terms with the Seneca Indians, whom he uniformly treated kindly and with the strictest honesty. He thus gained their undying friendship and confidence. All matters of importance were submitted to him for his advice, and they never failed to act in accordance with his suggestions. So great was his influence over them that his friends in a facetious way spoke of him as the "God of the Senecas." The Indians acknowledged him as their superior and were in awe of him. He was master of the Seneca dialect and spoke it fluently. In November, 1858, he removed to the farm about one mile north of Limestone, where he spent the remainder of his life in the pursuit of farming. He died September 10, 1879. Although he never held high office, nor wished to, he was as well and as widely known as the proudest official and as much esteemed. His children were: Rebecca, born July 12, 1830, widow of B. F. IRVINE; Sabra, born January 1, 1832, widow of Billings LAWTON and proprietor of the LAWTON House, Carrolton; Jerome B., born December 15, 1835, died January 15, 1859; Abigail, born March 22, 1837, widow of John BAILLET, now residing with her aged mother; Joseph born September 4, 1839, a jobber, lumberman, and farmer; Mary A. born November 24, 1842, widow of George BAKER, a tanner who served three years in the late war and died of disability contracted in the army; Levi, Jr., born December 20, 1844, died in early childhood; Frank A. born May 21, 1846, a traveling salesman from East Liverpool, Ohio; Robert, born April 2, 1848, drowned in the river at the homestead at the age of three and one-half years; Sarah J., born October 3, 1850, wife of Hon. E. R. SCHOONMAKER; and Bradley R., born February 28, 1853, died of an injury received while coupling cars, November 15, 1875. The children of George BAKER are Georgia (Mrs. John GOODSELL) of Olean, and Clarence, a farmer on the LEONARD homestead.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 478

Surnames: LEONARD, COGSWELL, SCHOONMAKER, FULLER, STEVENS, VIBBARD

Calvin LEONARD, brother of Levi LEONARD, Sr., was born in August, 1801. He married Jemima COGSWELL and came to Carrolton from Beaver County, Pa., in 1851, settling on the farm now owned by Hon. E.. R. SCHOONMAKER. Mr. LEONARD was a carpenter and one of the most skillful millwrights in the country. He built the Irvine mills, the first Union Free School building, the tannery erected by Dodge & Smith, and many other large structures. He was a Democrat, was well versed in the Scriptures, liberal in his religion, and believed in the ultimate salvation of the whole human race. He died January 22, 1884. Only three of his children reside in Carrolton: Samuel J., who married Velonia N., daughter of Chase FULLER, and for sixteen years has been the carpenter and millwright of the Limestone tannery; Jackson L., who married Maggie STEVENS; and Cynthia R., (Mrs. Shep L. VIBBARD).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 478

Surnames: McCAHILL, DWYER

Joseph F. McCAHILL was born in the city of New York, April 10, 1859, and January 1, 1883, married Kate DWYER. In 1884 they settled in Limestone where Mr. McCAHILL is engaged as a jobber in the Limestone tannery. He also conducts cigar factory No. 1234.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 478

Surnames: McDONNELL, BARNES

Donald J. McDONNELL, of sturdy Scotch descent and cousin of Alexander McDONNELL, Bishop of Alexandria, Can., was born in Renfrew, Ontario, Canada, January 15, 1838. November 1, 1864, he went to Buffalo as a journeyman blacksmith. From January, 1865, until 1876 he was engaged in the oil business in Pennsylvania. He then settled in Limestone, where he was an oil producer and a driller of oil wells, by contract, until 1886. He still owns his machinery and oil territory, and now has charge of the Manufacturers’ Gas Company’s business in Limestone. January 24, 1875, he married Louisa, daughter of R. B. BARNES, a native of Massachusetts. Mrs. McDONNELL was born December 15, 1839, in Wisconsin. Mr. BARNES resides with his daughter in Limestone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 478

Surnames: McKENZIE, ZELIFF

John McKENZIE was born in Rosshire, Scotland, June 12, 1836, and in 1854 settled in Forrestville, N. Y. In 1856 he came to Carrolton and April 16, 1857 married Harriet H., daughter of Peter ZELIFF, who was born June 29, 1834, being the first white child born in the town of Carrolton. Mr. McKENZIE is a farmer. He was formerly engaged in lumbering. He is a Republican and has held the office of highway commissioner three years, assessor four years, and collector one year. Four of their seven sons and their only daughter are living.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 478

Surnames: McNALLY, McNAMARA

George McNALLY, of Scotch-Irish descent, was born in County Cork, Ireland, January 9, 1845. He emigrated to America in 1862, spent a year in Massachusetts, three years in Cleveland, Ohio, was a hotel proprietor in Corry, Pa., ten years, and in 1876 came to Limestone, where he built the McNALLY House and has been its proprietor since. In 1878, he married Margaret McNAMARA, a native of County Clare, Ireland. Their children are Anna and George B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 478

Surnames: MILLER

John MILLER, a native of Prussia, came with his family to Limestone in December, 1864. He was a worthy citizen, and for ten or eleven years was an employee in the tannery. Later he was a farmer. He died in April, 1876. On his farm the first paying oil well in the valley of Tuna creek was sunk. In 1875, his only son, John Jr., was accidentally killed, aged twenty-two years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Pages 478 & 479

Surnames: MORSE, WIXON

Charles MORSE was born in Ontario County in 1832. He came from Allegheny County to Carrolton in 1859, and here married Lois C. WIXON. He then returned to Allegany County and lived three years. In 1861 he enlisted in the 54th N. Y. Vols. and while at Elmira awaiting orders to move to the front he was attacked with lung trouble and was eventually discharged. Mr. MORSE has a farm of ten acres. Of his eight children, four are now living.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 479

Surnames: NYE, MATHER, STONE

Rev. DeWitt C. NYE, son of Nelson and Abigail (MATHER) NYE, was born in Hume, Allegany county, New York on March 22, 1846. There he attended the district schools and in September, 1862, with his father’s consent, enlisted with an older brother in Co. F, 4th N.Y.H.A ., and was honorably discharged at the close of the war. After General Grant assumed command his regiment joined the Army of the Potomac at Culpepper and participated in the battles of the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Ream’s Station, and the Siege of Petersburg. April 2, 1865, the regiment charged the enemy twice before Richmond and captured 1800 prisoners, two stands of colors, and several pieces of artillery, and was the advance regiment at Lee’s surrender. Mr. NYE was present at all these engagements. At the close of the war he learned his father’s trade of shoemaker and followed it until he was thirty-six years old. He was converted at twenty-eight, licensed to exhort at thirty, and studied the English branches on his shoe bench. He received a local preacher’s license at thirty-four, began a four years course in theology, and in October 1882, received an appointment from the Genesee Conference as a supply for Farmersville, where he remained one year. In 1883 he supplied East Ashford and next Honeoye, Pa. for two years. In October, 1886, he joined the conference and was appointed to the charge of Portville. At the same time he commenced the regular conference course, which he completed on October, 1890. He remained at Portville until the fall of 1890, when he was appointed to the charge at Limestone. Mr. NYE married Isadore E. STONE, June 1, 1870. They have three children.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 479

Surname: O’BRIEN

John E. O’BRIEN, a native of Cork, Ireland, was born in November, 1840, and reared and educated in England. In March 1864, he emigrated to America and at once enlisted in the US Navy, serving a little more than two years. While sinking obstructions to the enemy across James river he was severely bruised by an explosion, from which he never fully recovered. Mr. O’BRIEN is a farmer in Carrolton and has been overseer of the poor for five years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 479

Surnames: PARKER, IRVINE, MOSES

Nelson PARKER, born February 2, 1806, began business in Carrolton as a manufacturer and dealer in pine shingles and lumber. In 1853, with A. J. IRVINE, he bought the IRVINE mills and from 1856 to 1869 B. F. IRVINE was his lumber partner. They then sold the mills and large tract of land to Job MOSES and Mr. PARKER engaged in farming. Later he was a merchant. He was killed by the cars while crossing the track at Carrolton, November 27, 1873. He was a capable business man, and was supervisor of Carrolton in 1868 and 1869. January 19, 1847, he married Catherine B., daughter of Andrew IRVINE, of Warren, Pa. Their children were Marion B. and Catherine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 479

Surnames: PATON, LEE

William PATON, Sr., born in Dumfrieshire, Scotland, December 31, 1838, received a good business education and in 1855 emigrated with his parents to the Genesee Valley. They resided in Machias and in McKean county, Pa., where his father died in 1874. Since 1862 Mr. PATON has resided in Carrolton. He is a farmer. January 1, 1868, he married Mary LEE, of Ellicottville, and in 1873 settled in the place where he now lives. Both are members of the M. E. church and interested in every good enterprise. He has served as overseer of the poor four terms and as highway commissioner one term.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 480

Surnames: PATON, DODGE, SMITH, ALDRICH, 

William PATON, Jr., was born in Annan, Dumfrieshire, Scotland, September 14, 1847. In 1864 he came to Limestone and at once commenced a clerkship with DODGE & SMITH, remaining in their employ until they sold their property. He was engaged the ensuing year with A. E. & G. W. Palen. In the year 1889, he went to Wilcox, Pa. where he was a clerk in the tannery store of Jackson, Schultz & Co., where he remained for three years. With his partner Mr. ALDRICH, he then opened a general store in that place under the name of ALDRICH & PATON, which continued three years. Mr. PATON sold his interest to Mr. ALDRICH in 1871 and removed to Louisville, KY, where he was engaged with Mr. SMITH, before mentioned, in building the manufactory of the Ohio Falls Cooperage Company. The plant covered an area of two acres. As soon as the establishment was opened the company employed an average of 125 hands. Mr. PATON remained there as a partner with Mr. SMITH the ensuing four years, when, on account of ill health, he sold his interest to his partner and returned to Limestone, where he opened a general country store, and where he is still selling goods. He also has two farms on which are five oil wells. Mr. PATON has been identified with the entire growth of Limestone, has aided in building its schools and churches, and has erected his store building, and four dwelling houses. He married Harriet, daughter of Daniel SMITH, in 1870. They are members of the M. E. church.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 480

Surnames: PATON, HAPGOOD

John PATON was born in Dumfrieshire, Scotland, April 24, 1849 and removed to Carlisle, England, in his childhood. His mother had died and in June, 1867, he came to Limestone where he accepted a position with his uncle, W. PATON, Sr. He was next an employee of Daniel Smith in Wilcox, Pa., a year. He has since been an employee and jobber and dealer in bark, wood, and lumber. Since Hoyt Brothers became proprietors of the Limestone tannery Mr. PATON has been employed as a finisher of leather. September 28, 1874, he married Georgiana HAPGOOD, also a native of England. They have an only son, Floyd, born in January, 1876. Mr. and Mrs. PATON are members of the M. E. church.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 480

Surname: PAXON,

Myron H. PAXON was born in Aurora, Erie county, in 1840. In 1863 he assisted as a carpenter in building the tannery at Salamanca, the office and outside charge of which he assumed in 1864 and continued until 1873. In the fall of that year he accepted a similar position in Jewett & Keating’s tannery at Olean. In the spring of 1874 this firm transferred Mr. PAXON to their tannery in Port Allegany, McKean county, where he also had charge of the office and outside work. He remained there until the fall of 1877, when he came to Limestone, where he has since had control of the office, outside work, and financial interest of the concern. He represented Carrolton on the Board of Supervisors in 1881.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 480

Surnames: RENNER, BELL, SMITH

Harry RENNER, born in Mense, Germany, June 6, 1826, emigrated in 1840 to Susquehanna county, Pa., where he engaged at his trade of journeyman tanner until October, 1869, when he came to Limestone and was employed in the Limestone tannery three years. In 1875 he erected the Limestone House and opened it to the public. December 24, 1857, he married Mrs. Julianna BELL, widow of Worthy BELL, and to them was born one daughter, Maud R. (Mrs. M. W. SMITH). Mr. RENNER died April 19, 1878. His widow survives him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Pages 480 & 481

Surnames: RIGDON, BRADLEY

Algernon Sidney RIGDON, son of Sidney, was born in Mentor, Ohio, July 4, 1828. The family emigrated with teams to Missouri when he was nine years of age. A year later they removed to Illinois, whence after six years’ residence, they settled in Pittsburg, Pa. A. S. came to Friendship, Allegany county in 1847, and was employed on the Erie railroad from 1859 until 1874, whence he removed from Cuba to Carrolton village and has since been the efficient agent of that station. Mr. RIGDON is a staunch Democrat, prominent in his party, a competent and popular citizen, but has constantly refused to accept town office. October 19, 1854, he married Annis BRADLEY, of Cuba. They have two sons: Walter S., station agent at Dayton, and George R., manager for the Postal Telegraph Company at Scranton, Pa.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 481

Surnames: SCHOONMAKER, PALEN, NICHOLS, BULLIS, McNEIL, SHELDON, DAVIS, KALL, STICKNEY, BELL, LEONARD

Hon. Elijah R. SCHOONMAKER, of Limestone, was born in Sullivan county, and is descended from solid Dutch stock. His father, a farmer and contractor, gave his son a common school education. At a very early age he was a clerk in a store in his native county for seven years. He next filled a like position in Ulster county for several years more. He was a traveling salesman the next three years (until 1868) for a wholesale boot and shoe house at Kingston, and then settled in Limestone, where he has since led a very busy life. When he located here he formed a partnership with A. E. and G. W. PALEN in mercantile business and was associated in trade with them for three years. The lumber firm of SCHOONMAKER & NICHOLS was then formed. About this time he also conducted a lumber business alone, and for many years was one of the owners of the "tannery store." From 1875 to 1885 he operated in oil, largely in real estate, and heavily in bark, supplied the tanneries of Great Bend, Canisteo, Hornellsville, and Limestone, and pulled bark from the trees on 10,000 acres. In addition to this he bought and handled from 5,000 to 10,000 cords of bark per year. He is now a member of the following firms: Northern Tier Hemlock Co. Ltd., of which he is general manager; BULLIS, SCHOONMAKER, and McNIEL, real estate and lumber; SCHOONMAKER & SHELDON, hardwood lumber; SCHOONMAKER & DAVIS, lumber; HALL, SCHOONMAKER & Co., lumber; and STICKNEY, BELL & Co., merchants. He is also prominent in politics and decidedly popular with the people. He was postmaster of Limestone four years, station agent ten years, seven years president of the Board of Education, and supervisor of Carrolton six consecutive years, ending with 1890, and was reelected in 1893. In 1882-83 he represented the Second Assembly District of Cattaraugus County in the State Legislature. He has served as a member of the Republican State Committee for Chatauqua, Cattaraugus, and Allegany counties, has attended several times as a delegate the Republican State congressional and senatorial conventions, and is always a delegate to the Republican county conventions. Mr. SCHOONMAKER is a man of comprehensive business ability and has a ready knowledge of men. He is a bold speculator and apparently relies on his own judgment. He is affable and gentlemanly, and a pleasant companion. He is a good talker, a good listener, and fond of a good joke. Emphatically, he is the poor man’s friend, ready to aid the needy and help them to help themselves. February 21, 1867, he married Eliza PALEN, of Sullivan county, who died August 4, 1870. She was the mother of his son Fred P., born March 11, 1870. November 2, 1871, he married Sarah J., youngest daughter of Levi LEONARD. Their children are: Eliza W., born July 25, 1872; Alice, born December 8, 1873; and Faith, born October 12, 1881.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Pages 481 & 482

Surnames: SCHRADER, MILLER

Charles E. SCHRADER, son of Edward, was born in Prussia in April, 1853. In October 1870, his parents with their family of five sons and two daughters emigrated to America. In April, 1871, they settled in Limestone, where Mr. SCHRADER at once found employment in the tannery. Charles E. SCHRADER has spent his whole life as an employee in tanneries and is capable, industrious, and trustworthy. December 8, 1881, he married Anna L. MILLER, a native of Mechlenberg, Schewrin, Prussia, and a daughter of John MILLER.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 482

Surnames: SCOTT, SMITH, DODGE, WOOD, SKINNER

Bradner SCOTT was born in Walkill, N. Y.. Losing both parents in early childhood he experienced a youth of extreme hardship. In 1859 he came to Limestone with Mr. SMITH, of the firm of DODGE & SMITH, in whose employ he had been several years, remaining with them here until August, 1864, when he enlisted in the US Navy under Commodore Farragut in the Squadron of the Mississippi, and was honorably discharged in August 1865. Returning to Limestone he continued in the employ of DODGE & SMITH until they sold their tannery, and was an employee of the Limestone tannery nearly all the time until 1887. Since then he has been a farmer. Mr. SCOTT married, first, Eliza WOOD, who was the mother of six children, five of whom are living. He married, second, Melinda SKINNER.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 482

Surnames: TULLER, PIERCE

Maurice TULLER, son of Alvah, was born in the town of North East, Pa., November 4, 1861, and was reared and educated to railroad station work. His father, the present station agent at Cattaraugus, taught him both telegraphy and depot business. At the age of sixteen he began as telegraph operator and clerk at Cattaraugus. He accepted the position of station agent of the B., R. & P. R. R. at Limestone and took charge August 4, 1890. October 10, 1882, he married Elsie PIERCE, of Cattaraugus, NY.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 482

Surnames: VIBBARD, SHANKLAND, LEONARD

Shep. L. VIBBARD was born of English parentage in Ellicottville in 1838. His father, Chester VIBBARD, came from Massachusetts at an early day. Shep. learned the printing business of the late Robert SHANKLAND, and at the first call for troops enlisted in Co. I, 37th N. Y. Vols., leaving the service as corporal two years later. Soon afterward, he settled in Limestone, where he has since been prominent in local Democrat politics. He was elected justice of the peace in 1866, 1870, 1874, 1880, 1884, 1888, and 1892, and is now serving his twentieth year as town clerk. In 1874 he served as supervisor. He is also clerk of the village of Limestone and of the Board of Education. He is a member of Henry Renner Lodge, No. 780, F. & A. M., is it’s present master, is a member of St. John’s Commandery at Olean and of Olean Chapter, of Bradford Post, No. 141 G. A. R., of the A. O. U. W., being district deputy grand master of the latter order in 1889, and of the K. O. T. M. and the E. A. U. In 1868, Mr. VIBBARD married Cynthia R., daughter of Calvin LEONARD, and they have three children.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 482

Surnames: WAMPLE, GRIMES

Marcus N. WAMPLE, born in Montgomery county, N. Y. November 1, 1824, came to Vandalia from Chatauqua county in 1850. He is a lumberman and was employed by William GRIMES, and since his death in 1877 he has been engaged by J. H. GRIMES. About 1855 he married Mary J., daughter of William GRIMES. They have one daughter, Jessie, born July 22, 1858.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Pages 482 & 483

Surnames: WATSON, HALLOCK, KIERSTED, PAXON, KNOWLES

Robert J. WATSON, son of James and Catherine (HALLOCK) WATSON, was born in South Worcester, Schoharie county, November 15, 1856. His father enlisted in the Union army, was captured, confined in Andersonville prison, and died of starvation. Robert J. WATSON, being left at the age of six years without fatherly counsel, experienced a youth of severe hardship. He began chopping wood for J. H. & A. KIERSTED, tanners of Hancock, NY, who soon gave him a clerkship in their office and store, where he remained five years, devoting the winters to attending school. He was their bookkeeper and in 1881 accepted the position of agent for the Salamanca tannery. In 1884 he came to Limestone as bookkeeper of the Limestone tannery, and in 1887 was made agent in place of Mr. PAXON for one year. Since Mr. PAXON’s return, Mr. WATSON has been his assistant. Mr. WATSON served as treasurer of the village and as member of the Board of Education several years, being president one year. In February 1891, he was elected supervisor of Carrolton and reelected in 1892. April 24, 1881, he married Irona KNOWLES, of Delaware county. They have one son, Roy R., born August 18, 1884.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 483

Surname: WHITTAKER, OWEN

William WHITTAKER, born in Darbyshire, England, May 9, 1821, emigrated with his wife and five children to Blair county, Pa., where Mrs. WHITTAKER died in 1858. In May 1860, he married Jane E. OWEN, of Colden, N. Y., and in the ensuing fall they settled in Limestone, where Mr. WHITTAKER found employment in the Limestone tannery. In April 1861, he located on a wood lot of 100 acres, cleared a part of it, and remained there until 1875 when he removed to his present home. Mr. and Mrs. WHITTAKER have had five children.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 483

Surnames: WILLIS, PHILLIPS, ZELIFF, ETHRIDGE, FISK

Chauncy WILLIS, son of Isaac, was born in Conesus, N. Y. December 18, 1818. His father settled in Machias in March, 1832, their log house having a Dutch-back fireplace and a stick chimney plastered with mud. The doors were hung on wooden hinges and fastened with wooden latches. Their currency -- black salts – was at first the only commodity that would bring money. Isaac WILLIS died in 1837. October 22, 1842, Chauncy WILLIS married Polly PHILLIPS, who was born in Freedom, October 5, 1822. They commenced housekeeping on the homestead, where he gave his mother a home until her decease. From 1862 or ’63 until 1868 he was a farmer near Little Valley Center. Since then he has been a citizen of the town of Carrolton and has owned the Peter ZELIFF homestead within the corporation of Limestone. He is a member of the village Board of Trustees. His children are: Sarah J., born July 29, 1845, married Nathaniel ETHRIDGE, January 17, 1869, and died October 3, 1872, leaving an only daughter, Cora, who was born April 8, 1870, and resides with her grandparents; Warren W., born April 9, 1846, died in Little Valley, March 22, 1866; and Daniel C., born August 24, 1849, married Loretta FISK, August 24, 1876.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 483

Surname: WIXON

Barnabas WIXON and his wife Elsea, with an infant daughter, came to Carrolton from Allegany county in June, 1838. He was a farmer and died August 1, 1889, aged seventy-nine years. His aged widow survives him.

Seth WIXON came to Carrolton as early as 1836, was a farmer, and settled in the valley about a mile north of Limestone village. He was a soldier in the War of 1812. He died in 1850, aged sixty-five years. He had nine children.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Page 483

Surnames: WYNN, TODD

James I. WYNN, born in Scottsville, Pa. October 13, 1836, began business as a sawyer in his father’s mill. In March, 1863, he came to Carrolton as superintendent of B. F. Irvine’s mills, which position he filled until Mr. Irvine died, since which time Mr. WYNN has conducted them for Irvine Bros. and for Plumer, Gilfillan, Steele, & Co. Mr. WYNN is a man of energy and good business ability. November 24, 1859, he married Rachel TODD, a native of Jamestown, N. Y., and of sturdy Scotch descent. Their children are T. Adelaide, a graduate of Geneseo Normal School, a teacher in the city schools of Bradford, Pa., and her father’s bookkeeper, and Irvine L., his father’s head sawyer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Carrolton – Chapter XIX (20)

Pages 483 & 484

Surnames: ZELIFF, DODGE, McKENZIE, BALMAN, SCOTT, DUEL, INGLER, GLASS

Peter ZELIFF was born in Northumberland county, Pa. He was a lumberman, and when a little less than twenty-one years of age he married Marvelous HODGE. In 1832 he settled in Carrolton, being the second family to locate where the village of Limestone has since been built. He cleared a small piece of ground and built a log cabin, which he covered with bark. His place was ten miles from Great Valley, the nearest white settlement, and no road the last six miles. He used Tuna creek for a highway and brought his wife and four children to his "lodge" in a canoe. He bought and paid for 200 acres. Eventually he started for the gold regions of Pike’s Peak and was last heard from near his destination. It is supposed he was murdered. Mrs. ZELIFF died in Carrolton in 1874. They had eleven children. A daughter, Harriet (Mrs. John McKENZIE), born June 29, 1834, was the first white child born in Carrolton.

George ZELIFF, oldest son of Peter, was born in Farmington, Pa, September 19, 1825, came with his parents to Carrolton in 1832, and has since resided here. He began business for himself in cutting and hewing square timber, making pine shingles, and piloting rafts down the river. Later he has given his attention to his farm. April 14, 1853, he married Betsey BALMAN, of Lawrence, Pa, and they have had four children, two of whom died in infancy; the others are William A., born February 28, 1854, married first Jennie SCOTT, and second Stella DUEL; and Ornaldo, born February 5, 1865, married Hetty INGLER.

William E. ZELIFF, son of Peter, was born on the homestead in Carrolton in 1835, and was educated in the common schools with a few terms at Chamberlain Institute. He commenced his business life by buying and selling lumber and shingles and running them to market down the river to Pittsburg, Cinncinnati , and Louisville, which occupation he has followed to the present time. He was elected clerk of his town at the age of twenty-two years and soon after became constable and collector. At about the age of twenty-five he settled just across the state line, where he has resided about twenty years, but his business, home, and property has always been in his native town. In 1885 he returned to Carrolton and in 1886 was elected commissioner of highways, having been elected each year since. Mr. ZELIFF has, from time to time, operated for oil. July 4, 1864, he married Marilla J. GLASS of Bradford, and their children are William H., a traveling salesman, and Fred. R.

 

Back To Cattaraugus County


If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact me at:

Painted Hills

This page is maintained by the PHGS
 Last Update January 25, 2004

© 2002 by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society
Main | Email Us | Look-Ups | Members Family Pages
Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer

Website designed by Frankie Stonemetz
2002© Painted Hills Genealogy Society
All Rights Reserved