TOWN OF ASHFORD

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES FROM: "HISTORICAL GAZETTEER AND BIOGRAPHICAL MEMORIAL of CATTARAUGUS COUNTY, NY, ed by WILLIAM ADAMS, Published 1893
 
 

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 453

Surnames: ALDRICH, ENSWORTH, BALDWIN

Jirah S. ALDRICH, son of Rev. Adon ALDRICH, was born in Walrath, Wayne county, Nov. 20, 1823, removed to Fabius, and in 1852 came to Ashford, where he purchased of Andrew STEVENS the farm where he now resides. His father, who resided with him, died in July of that year. Mr. ALDRICH taught common and singing schools several years, served as town superintendent of schools two years, and justice of the peace eight years. He has been identified with the Congregational church since its organization. He married Cordelia H., daughter of Tracy ENSWORTH, by whom he has children as follows: Leroy, of Williams, Iowa; Cornelia, deceased; Alma (Mrs. O. A. BALDWIN) of Bradford, Pa.; and Fred, of Ashford.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Pages 453 & 454

Surnames: BIGELOW, GODDARD, SAMPSON

Job BIGELOW came from Brookline, Vt., to Ashford in 1825 and settled on the farm which Miss C. GODDARD now owns, and where he reared his ten children. His son, Charles C. BIGELOW, was born in Brookline, Vt., Dec. 18, 1807 and removed to Ashford in 1825. A few years later he began business for himself and bought the farm where his son Henry now lives. He never "sought place or position, but was often chosen to fill positions of responsibility and trust". He was an Odd Fellow and a Mason and was buried with Masonic honors. He married Roxana, daughter of Peter SAMPSON, by whom he had ten children; those now living are William W., Caroline, Henry W., Maria, Adaline and Charles D. William W. resides in Chicago, Charles D. in Buffalo and the others in Ashford.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 454

Surnames: BLOCK, KRUSE

Joseph BLOCK was born in Mechlenberg [sic], Germany, and came to America in 1854 and to Ashford in 1857. He married Dora, daughter of Frederick KRUSE; their children were Charles, John, William L., Sophia, and Mary. William L. BLOCK came to America with his parents at the age of twelve years. Oct. 5, 1861, he enlisted in Co. I, 44th N. Y. Vols., and served three years, participating in the battles of Malvern Hill (where he was wounded), Fair Oaks, and Williamsburg.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 454

Surname: CARTER

Joseph T. and Norman B. CARTER came to Ashford from Darien, Genesee county, in March, 1821, and purchased a quarter section of lot 45. They were bachelors and kept their own house. N. B. was one of the first school commissioners and was a justice of the peace in 1834, and taught one of the first schools in the town in the winter of 1822-1823. These brothers removed to Michigan in 1835. Their brother, Russell M. CARTER, who had visited Ashford in 1822, settled on a part of lot 45 in 1825 and later located on the farm where William and George SHULTIS first settled in 1818.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 454

Surnames: CHAMBERLAIN, EHMAN, HUNTLEY, WILLIS, McKAY, HICKS, BEMIS

Hiram CHAMBERLAIN, son of Piny CHAMBERLAIN, a native of Massachusetts, came from Genesee county to Ashford in 1832. He made the first settlement on the farm now owned by Christian EHMAN. His children were Cordelia, widow of Daniel HUNTLEY, of Ellicottville; Lucinda, widow of Hezekiah WILLIS, of Little Valley; Joanna (Mrs. H. V. R. McKAY), of Ellicottville; Hudson, of West Valley; and Martha (Mrs. HICKS), deceased. He filled several town offices and spent the last years of his life with his son Hudson, where he died March 28, 1882, aged eighty-two years. Hudson CHAMBERLAIN was born in Ashford, Oct. 21, 1833. He began the trade of a carpenter at the age of twenty and has since been a successful contractor and builder. He has held several town offices. He married Julia A., daughter of Edwin BEMIS, of Ashford, and they have two children, Cora E. and Edwin B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 454

Surnames: COLE, BIGELOW, BEMIS

Daniel Mansfield COLE was the oldest of four children of a crippled father, and was born in Dummerston, Vt. His first wife was Polly BIGELOW, and together they came to Cattaraugus county while it was yet a wilderness, arriving in Ashford on November 26, 1826, with five children. Mrs. COLE died September 22, 1834, and Mr. COLE married, second, December 26, 1835, Nancy BIGELOW, a sister of his first wife. She died May 23, 1838, and he married for the third time, July 18, 1843, Polly BEMIS. Mr. COLE passed through many vicissitudes of prosperity and adversity, but throughout his long life he was esteemed and honored for sterling qualities of head and heart.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 454

Surnames: CONRAD, LEEZER

Peter CONRAD, son of Jacob, a native of Germany, came to America with his father in 1847 and settled first in Hamburg, N.Y. In 1866 he came to Ashford. He married Wilhelmina LEEZER and has five children: Peter, Carrie, Lottie, Lora, and George.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Pages 454-455

Surnames: DEMON, BROOKS, SAMPSON, FOLTS, DAVIS

Abel DEMON emigrated from Ware, Mass., and settled in Ashford in 1836 on the farm now occupied by Joseph DEMON. He married Catharine BROOKS, and they had nine children, namely: Judah, Edmond, Angeline, Betsey, Lydia. Wesley, Joseph, Catharine, and Charles. Joseph DEMON, who came to Ashford with his parents, married Parmelia SAMPSON, by whom he had three children: Lydia (Mrs. A. C. FOLTS), of Ashford; Addison, of Yorkshire; and Margaret (Mrs. George W. DAVIS), of Yorkshire.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 455

Surnames: EHMAN, CARTER, HAUFFMAN, GROFF

Frederick EHMAN, a native of Germany, came to America in 1853 and soon afterward settled on the farm now owned by John CARTER in Ellicottville. He married Augusta HAUFFMANN, who bore him nine children. Christian EHMAN, their son, born Feb. 5, 1843, came to America with his parents and Aug. 30, 1861, enlisted in Co. E, 5th N. Y. Cav. (First Ira Harris Guards) and served until Dec. 31, 1863, when he was discharged. He re-enlisted and served until July 19, 1865. He was detailed as a scout under W. Boise and for a time was his orderly. He was color-bearer at Gainsboro and carried the flag presented to the regiment by the ladies of New York. In his hands it received its first and only shot. Mr. EHMAN is a farmer, and was instrumental in organizing the Northern Farmers’ Agricultural Association, being its president the first two years of its existence. He settled in West Valley in 1873. By his wife, Sophia GROFF, he has had these children: Walter C., Frank C. J., Dorothy M. R. J., and Rosetta A. K.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 455

Surnames: EMERSON, CHASE

William L. EMERSON came from Windham county, Vt., in 1840. He married in Vermont Miss Maria CHASE, and their children were William F., Edward, Hiram, Mary, Sylvia, Clarissa and Arnold.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 455

Surnames: FOLTS, CLAPSADDLE, VAN SLYKE, MUNGER, FRANK, UPSON

Joseph FOLTS came to this town in 1832 from Herkimer county. He was an axe maker by trade. He married Elizabeth CLAPSADDLE, who bore him ten children, of whom those living are William, of Mansfield; Sally, widow of John VAN SLYKE, of Sardinia; Elizabeth (Mrs. Justin MUNGER), of Little Valley; and Oliver, of Ashford.

Timothy FOLTS, son of Joseph, settled in Ashford about 1834. He was a moulder by trade, but gave his attention to farming. In 1853 he purchased the farm where his son, Allen C. FOLTS, now lives, and where he died in May, 1872. He married Mary, daughter of John FRANK, of Ashford, and of their nine children only Wealthy (Mrs. Robert FRANK) and Mary (Mrs. Solomon UPSON), of Springville, Frank and Newton, of Machias, and Allen C. are living.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 455

Surnames: FOX, BROOKS

Javan FOX removed from Fabius, N.Y., to Ashford in 1825 and purchased of his uncle, Marsena BROOKS, the farm where George O. FOX now lives. He cultivated his large farm and was a teamster between Buffalo and Ellicottville. He was employed to haul the lime for the county buildings in Ellicottville; he dealt in flour and salt and later was a merchant several years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 455

Surnames: FRANK, OYER, WEBER

Jacob FRANK was born in Frankfort, Herkimer county, in 1800. He came to Ashford in 1817, but soon returned, and came again in 1831, settling permanently on the farm now owned by Adam OYER. Mr. FRANK was a boatman on the Erie canal, and through him many emigrants were induced to settle in Ashford and vicinity. He married Margaret WEBER and had eleven children. In 1846 and 1847 he represented the town on the Board of Supervisors. The family has been a prominent and substantial one in the history of Ashford.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 455

Surnames: FULLER, HUGHEY

Almon FULLER, of Orwell, Vt., settled on Cattaraugus creek, in Erie county, in September, 1810. In 1831 he removed to Ashford and located on the farm now owned by Edverdo HUGHEY. He reared ten children, of whom only Almon, who resides in Ashford with his son Albert and Betsey are living.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 455

Surnames: GIBSON, WAITE, ALDRO, TIBBETTS, SMITH

William GIBSON came to this town from Genesee county in 1834 and bought the improvements of Lorenzo WAITE, the farm where John ALDRO lives. He worked at carpentering and farming. He married Charlotte TIBBETTS, and of their seven children, Anna, John, Juliette, Garry, Peter, and Lavilla (Mrs. E. B. SMITH) are living.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 456

Surnames: GROAT, NEFF, MABEE, DRAPER, NELLIGAN

Jasper GROAT settled in this town in 1829 where James NEFF now lives. He came from Montgomery county. His wife Maria, daughter of Uriah MABEE, bore him ten children, of whom eight are living, viz: Jerry, Uriah, John, Seth, Esley, Susan, Hurmey, and Deborah. John GROAT, a native of Ashford, served in the war of the Rebellion, and married, first, Emily DRAPER, who was the mother of two children, Frank S. and Mary. He married, second, Margaret NELLIGAN, by whom he has four children: Charles E., Jasper C., Jennie and Earl E.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 456

Surnames: HADLEY, HOLLAND, THOMAS

Cornelius HADLEY came to Ashford in 1842. Alonzo and William HADLEY, sons of Jesse HADLEY, came to this town from Brattleboro, Vt., in 1843, and purchased the farm now owned by Otis HOLLAND. Later Alonzo purchased the farm on which he now lives. Nelson H., another son of Jesse HADLEY, came from Brattleboro, Vt., to Ashford in April, 1850, and purchased the farm where his son Henry H. now lives. He died July 6, 1867. By his wife, Catharine THOMAS, he had two children, Henry H. and Willard, both of Ashford. Mr. HADLEY was a member of the Congregational church and much esteemed by his neighbors.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 456

Surnames: HANSON, HUGHEY

Cornelius HANSON came to Ashford in 1836 from Glen, Montgomery county, and settled on land now owned by George HUGHEY. Four of his six children are living: R. Hudson, Sarah A., Margaret, and Peter W.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 456

Surnames: HOLDEN, GREEN, PRATT, WOODWORTH, ROBBINS

Arnold HOLDEN, son of Edward, a descendant of George HOLDEN of Revolutionary fame, removed from North Adams to Aurora , Erie county, and in 1829 settled in the town of Ashford. He built one of the first framed buildings in town for the purpose of carrying on the business of carding wool and dressing cloth, and eventually used it for manufacturing cloth. It was one of the first establishments of the kind in the county. This he run successfully until the business declined, when Mr. HOLDEN became a farmer. He was prominent in the affairs of his town and used his influence to advance the cause of education and the general good of society. He was supervisor in 1831 and a justice of the peace a quarter of a century. He also served as justice of sessions. Mr. HOLDEN removed from Ashford about 1865 and died in Bradford, Pa., in 1869. He reared ten children, all living: Julia (Mrs. A. M. GREEN): June M. (Mrs. N. PRATT): Sarah A. (Mrs. M. WOODWORTH): John R., of Franklinville: Amos B., of Sparta, Wis.: Martha A. (Mrs. L. C. ROBBINS) and William A., of Ashford: Edwin C., of Topeka: Dennison F., of Oviatt, Mich.: and Nelson H., of White, S.D.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 456

Surnames: HUFSTADER, ALLEN, DYGERT, BLOCK, FOX, HOLLAND, HUGHEY

Michael C. HUFSTADER came to Ashford from Frankfort, N.Y. in 1822, making the journey on foot and carrying his provisions on his back. He came to live with his uncle Michael HUFSTADER, who had preceded him in 1820, but soon after "bound himself out" to Seth ALLEN, of Springville, and engaged in the manufacture of pearlash and potash. In 1831 he married Sally, daughter of Abram DYGERT, of Frankfort, and settled in Ashford on the farm now owned by John BLOCK. He was fond of hunting and fishing. He killed a great number of deer and wildcats, and once or twice each season he made a fishing trip to Lake Erie. The children of Mr. and Mrs. HUFSTADER were Willard, of Salem, Ore.; Michael, deceased: Hannah C. (Mrs. George O. FOX), of Ashford; and Mary E. (Mrs. John HOLLAND), Abram, and Sadie (Mrs. E. HUGHEY), also of Ashford.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Pages 456 - 457

Surnames: HUGHEY, McMICKLE, FOLTS, VEDDER

George HUGHEY, born of Scotch parentage in Dublin, Ireland, Dec. 14, 1803, learned the trade of paper making, and at the age of twenty-one emigrated to America, where he followed his avocation several years, and conducted a grocery and bakery in Schenectady. In 1840 he came to Ashford and purchased and cleared the farm now owned by his son George H. He served as highway commissioner, and both he and his wife were active members of the Baptist church. He was honest and charitable. He married Marry McMICKLE, who bore him eleven children: Mary A.; Eliza J.; James, of Ellicottville; John, 1st, drowned at Schenectady; John, 2d, born in Ashford, Sept. 24, 1847, married Ida FOLTS, of Mansfield, and has four children, Carl B., Claude L., Neil and Guy; Matilda; Catherine; Ellen; George H., born in Ashford, Oct. 9, 1843, owns the homestead, and for several years has been a dealer in live stock, produce, and real estate; Robert, a merchant in Ashford Hollow; and Rosanie. George H. HUGHEY served Ashford on the Board of Supervisors in 1883, 1885, and 1892, and has held other town offices. He married Adaliza, daughter of John A. VEDDER, of Ellicottville, and their children are Eugene G. and Vedder G. Edverdo HUGHEY, son of James, served as highway commissioner in 1888 and 1889.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 457

Surname: KRUSE

Herman KRUSE came to Ashford in 1858 and settled on the place where Henry KRUSE now lives. William C. KRUSE represented the town on the Board of Supervisors in 1879 and 1880.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 457

Surnames: LAMPMAN, FRANK

John LAMPMAN, from Schoharie county, settled in Ashford on the farm now owned by Elmer FRANK. He cleared the place and died aged 102 years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 457

Surnames: MULTER, WIDRIG, FRENCH, HINMAN, PICKETT, FOLTS

Peter A. MULTER came from Camillus, Onondaga county, to Ashford in 1831 and settled on the farm where his son Gilbert now lives. He spent much of his life from home repairing clocks and watches. He married Elizabeth WIDRIG, of Herkimer county, and had born to him nine children, six of whom are living: Gilbert, Jacob, Lydia A. (Mrs. Lawrence FRENCH), of Ashford, Margaret (Mrs. HINMAN), of Ellicottville, Eliza (Mrs. Eli PICKETT), of Wisconsin, and Adaline (Mrs. O. FOLTS), of Ashford. Gilbert MULTER is a farmer on the old homestead. Jacob MULTER has been engaged in the furniture and undertaker’s trade since 1859, and has served as justice of the peace about twenty-five years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 457

Surnames: MURPHY, KIMBALL, HOLLAND, RICE, WEAVER, HOLDEN, PIERCE, BUCK, KRUSE, REED

Ormel MURPHY, son of John MURPHY, and grandson of John KIMBALL, a Revolutionary soldier, was born in Royalton, Vt., in 1801, came to Ashford in 1831 from Genesee county, and made the first settlement on the farm now owned by his son John L. When Mr. MURPHY came to his home in the woods there were only the families of Nathaniel HOLLAND and William M. RICE living between him and Cattaraugus creek. He married Minerva, daughter of Thomas WEAVER, of Darien, and their children were John L.; Betsey (Mrs. George HOLDEN), of Springville; Marilda (Mrs. John S. PIERCE), of Machias; and Omer, also of Machias. John L. MURPHY was born in Darien, Oct. 28, 1830. He was taught by his mother and with only two months at a select school, up to the age of eighteen, he began teaching in the common schools and continued for ten winter terms. At the age of twenty-one, he was elected a justice of the peace, which office he held for thirty-five consecutive years. He was supervisor of Ashford in 1881 and 1882 and is often employed as petfogger in justices’ courts. He is a farmer and dealer in real estate. He married, first, Calphurnia, daughter of Jeremiah BUCK, who was an early settler of Ellicottville. Their children now living are Lucius J., of Bolivar; Orville W., a veterinary surgeon in Kansas; Albert H., of Ashford; and Lizzie (Mrs. William C. KRUSE), whose husband is president of Ridgeville College in Indiana. Mr. MURPHY married, second, Adelphia, daughter of Stephen REED, a pioneer of Ashford who now resides in Little Valley.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 458

Surnames: NEFF, BELLOWS, BARGY, CRARY

Andrew B. NEFF, son of De Nike NEFF, was born in Glen, Montgomery county, September 14, 1840, and came to Ashford to live with his uncle, Isaac BELLOWS, when twelve years old. He received his education in the common schools and in Springville Academy and taught district schools six winter terms. Mr. NEFF purchased a farm of James J. BARGY, and he added to it until he now has about 1,000 acres. He also owns three cheese factories in Ashford and one in Ellicottville, in which he manufactures full-cream cheese from the milk of 1,200 cows. Mr. NEFF has represented Ashford on the Board of Supervisors nine terms and has recently been elected for another year. He is now one of the Board of Directors of the Farmers’ Bank of Springville. He married Ann, daughter of Frederick CRARY, of Springville, and their children are Charles C., Alice A., Andrew B., and Ellen C.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 458

Surnames: OYER, SMITH, HOLDEN, TEFFT, VEDDER, MILLER

John P. OYER, who came to Ashford from Herkimer county in 1827, made the first settlement on the farm now owned by Mrs. Sally SMITH. His children were Philinda (Mrs. William A. HOLDEN), of Ashford; Mary (Mrs. Samuel TEFFT), of Springville; Betsey (Mrs. John A. VEDDER); and Sally (Mrs. William SMITH). George OYER came from Herkimer county in 1828 and settled where his son Adam now lives. His wife Mary MILLER bore him these children: Adam, Levi (deceased), David, and Simon. The latter was born in Ashford, November 5, 1831, is a shoemaker and carpenter by trade, and is now a lumberman and miller. Two of the OYER family, George and John, have represented the town of Ashford on the Board of Supervisors, the former in 1874 and the latter in 1886 and again in 1888.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 458

Surnames: PETTENGILL, KELMER

Charles B. PETTENGILL was born in Wales, Erie county, February 15, 1848. In the spring of 1862 he enlisted in the service of the Union, but was rejected on account of his youthful age. December 5, 1863, he enlisted in Co. A, 14th Wis. Inf., and served until December, 1865. He was wounded July 22, 1864, at the battle of Peach Tree Creek. While running from rebel pickets at Black River, near Vicksburg, in March, 1864, he fell down the bank of the river, fifty feet, and seriously injured his spine. After the war he engaged in the harness trade. In 1882 he settled in West Valley. He has been town clerk four years, postmaster of West Valley four years, and treasurer of the Ashford Fire Insurance Company seven years. He married Louisa, daughter of Abram KELMER, of Washington county. Their children are Allie, Mamie, Guy, and Rob Roy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 458

Surnames: PORTER, GILMORE, VAN AERNAM, RICHARDSON, BUFFINGTON, HERRICK

Aaron PORTER from Danby, Vt., settled in New Albion in 1836. He married Sarah, daughter of David GILMORE. Five children survive them: Electa J., widow of Richard VAN AERNAM, of New Albion; Chloe A. (Mrs. Lorenzo RICHARDSON) of Great Bay, Wis.; Weltha L. (Mrs. Augustus BUFFINGTON), of New Albion; Caroline (Mrs. Fillmore HERRICK), of New Albion; and Dr. Asher C., of Ashford. For a sketch of Dr. A. C. PORTER, see page 118.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 458

Surnames: PRATT, OYER, CLARK

John and Nathan PRATT, natives of Massachusetts, came to Ashford about 1825 and settled on lot 77. John made the first settlement on land now owned by Adam OYER. He died in 1869. John PRATT’s children were Benjamin, of Ashford; Amos, deceased; Noah, of Franklinville; and Patience (Mrs. John CLARK), of Yorkshire.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Pages 458 & 459

Surnames: PROCTOR, JONES

James PROCTOR, born in Quebec, Canada, came when young to Attica, N.Y., where he married Elizabeth JONES. Their children now living are William H., John, Leonard, Harvey, and Ella. William H. PROCTOR was born in Attica, June 4, 1859, came to Ashford with his parents in 1861, and in 1880 opened the first furniture and undertaker’s establishment in West Valley, which business he still successfully continues. In 1881 he was elected town clerk and in 1882 justice of the peace, which latter position he has held consecutively to the present time. He is serving a second term as deputy sheriff and is secretary of the Ashford Mutual Fire Insurance Company.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 459

Surnames: QUACKENBUSH, NEFF, PRINCE, CARTER, BARGY

Peter QUACKENBUSH came to Ashford from Montgomery county in the fall of 1819, and made the first improvement on the farm now owned by A. B. NEFF. His father, John H. QUACKENBUSH, joined him in 1821 and built the first tavern in town on his son’s farm. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and with his brother David was captured by the Indians, taken to Niagara, and while in captivity were compelled to run the gauntlet. Peter QUACKENBUSH married Hannah PRINCE, daughter of Peter PRINCE, of Montgomery county. Their children were Rebecca, who married Russell A. CARTER, and John, who was born in Montgomery county April 16, 1818. John came to Ashford with his parents and has since been a resident of the town. He is a farmer and served as a supervisor in 1870. He married Mary E., daughter of Jacob P. BARGY, and of their six children four are living: John, of Eagle, Wyoming county; Clark P., of Ellicottville; George B., of Yorkshire; and Charles, of Ashford.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 459

Surnames: SAMPSON, KELLOGG, GOODEMOTE, SHULTIS, McLEAN, BIGELOW, BENSLEY

Peter SAMPSON, a native of New Salem, Mass., was born in 1773. He married Sarah KELLOGG in 1793, and to them thirteen children were born. In 1816 he moved with his family to Concord, Erie county, and settled on the north side of Cattaraugus creek. In 1822 he traded farms with John GOODEMOTE and moved over to the south side of the creek in the town of Ashford. He was elected commissioner of highways in 1824, was supervisor from 1825 to 1830 inclusive and again in 1832 and 1833, and was afterward justice of the peace eight years. He early contracted to carry the mail from Buffalo to Olean by way of Townsend hill, Springville, and Ellicottville. This was the regular mail carried between these points. He first went on horseback, then with a wagon, and finally with a stage coach, and continued as mail-carrier and expressman until his death Dec. 8, 1836. His daughters married William SHULTIS, Royal McLEAN, Charles C. BIGELOW, and Truman BENSLEY.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 459

Surnames: SHERMAN, TABOR, WHITNEY

Ebenezer C. SHERMAN came to Ashford from New Bedford, Mass., in 1822, and made the first settlement on the farm where his grandson, W. H. SHERMAN, now lives. He assisted in cutting the road from his place to Ellicottville. Mr. SHERMAN was a cabinet maker, but he gave his whole attention to his farm. He married Constant TABOR, and their children were Charles, Mary A., Sarah, Clark, and Lydia. Charles SHERMAN came to Ashford with his parents at the age of twelve years. He was an exemplary Christian and a worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal church for more than fifty years, for forty of which he was a licensed exhorter. He removed to Springville, where he died April 2, 1883. Mr. SHERMAN married Mary, daughter of William H. WHITNEY, who came to Riceville in an early day and taught school in a log school house. Mr. and Mrs. SHERMAN had nine children: Helen, Charles W., Mary O., Fanny, Angie H., Ebenezer C., William H., Hattie L., and Lucy C.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Pages 459 & 460

Surnames: SMITH, WATKINS, GIBSON, ANDRES, PHILLIPS

Elsbree J. SMITH. - Andrew WATKINS came to Ashford from Pennsylvania in 1839. His grandson, Elsbree J. SMITH, came at the same time and learned the trade of a bricklayer and mason, which he has followed as an avocation. Feb. 2, 1862, he enlisted in Co. K, 105th N. Y. Vols., as second sergeant. He was wounded at the second Bull Run battle, was captured, and remained a prisoner of war until the next September, when he was paroled and removed to Fairfax Seminary Hospital. He was exchanged and November following was discharged. August 24, 1863, he re-enlisted in Co. C, 13th N. Y. H. A., and was first duty sergeant. He served until September 24, 1865, when he again received an honorable discharge. He married Luella, daughter of William GIBSON, and their children are Emma J. (Mrs. D. ANDRES), Sabra (Mrs. A. J. PHILLIPS), and Grant, all of East Bradford, Pa.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 460

Surnames: STARKS,

Nathan STARKS became a resident of Machias in 1850. Dec. 10, 1861, he enlisted in Co. K, 94th N. Y. Vols., was captured in front of Petersburg, was confined in Salisbury prison seven months, and was paroled and taken to Annapolis, Md., where he died April 2, 1865. John D. STARKS enlisted Sept. 17, 1861, in Co. A, 106th N. Y. Vols., and re-enlisted in February, 1864. He was wounded and captured at the battle of the Wilderness and died in Andersonville prison in September following.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 460

Surnames: STOWELL, MEACHAM, WEAST, WILCOX, SCOTT

Ebenezer STOWELL, a native of Worcester, Mass., was born in 1782, married Hannah MEACHAM, who was born in New Salem, Mass., in 1787, and emigrated with his family to Ashford in 1836, where he died in 1845. They had born to them eight children. His son, Charles E. STOWELL, married Susan, daughter of Joseph WEAST. Their children now living are Haplona (Mrs. Daniel WILCOX), of Springville; Mary (Mrs. Edwin SCOTT), of Springville; Charles E. STOWELL, Jr., of Ashford; and Luthera M., of Springville.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 460

Surname: TILLINGHAST

Arthur O. TILLINGHAST was born in Sardinia, July 10, 1850, and came to West Valley in 1878, where he has since been engaged in mercantile business. He was supervisor in 1884 and in various ways has shown much enterprise.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 460

Surnames: TURNER, KELCH

Joseph TURNER, son of Dyer, came to Ashford from Frankfort, N. Y., in 1835. He was a collier by trade. He married Ellen KELCH, and their surviving children are Harriet E., Horace M., and Jerome J., the latter a soldier for three years in Co. D, 154th N. Y. Vols., being wounded in his right shoulder. Horace M. TURNER is a resident of this town and Jerome J. of Great Valley.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Pages 460 & 461

Surnames: WAIT, WAITE, BARLOW, LINCOLN, QUACKENBUSH, LEACH, HITCHCOCK, SCOTT

Dr. William WAIT, born at White Plains, N.Y., in 1784, came from Darien, Genesee county, and made the first settlement in West Valley in 1829. With his sons he cut a road from Riceville to West Valley, and settled on the farm now owned by his grandson, Hudson WAITE. He was for a long time the only doctor in the place. He died May 20, 1873. He had four sons and two daughters: Weston, Lorenzo D., Henry, Esek B., Fanny M., wife of Parmenus P. BARLOW, and Melissa, who married Apollos LINCOLN. Lorenzo D. WAITE was born in January, 1807, and came to Ashford with his father. Like many other pioneers they had a hard struggle to live. Their homestead twice reverted to the Holland Land Company. It was finally reclaimed and paid for by Lorenzo D., who in 1849 built a saw-mill on the site of the old tannery which was the only saw-mill in the place for several years. Mr. WAITE was a Baptist. He held several town offices, and in the State militia he attained the rank of captain. He died February 12, 1877. Mr. WAITE married, first, Laney QUACKENBUSH, of Ashford, who was the mother of Hudson, Charlotte, and Sarah A. (deceased). He married, second, Nancy M., daughter of James LEACH, and their children were Lovinus B., a Union soldier who died in Lincoln hospital of fever contracted in front of Richmond; George N., of West Valley; and Ira, deceased. Hudson WAITE was born December 16, 1834, and is a farmer and formerly a dealer in horses and cattle and breeder of fine Holstein cattle. With his son he is now breeding thorough blooded Shropshire sheep, their fine flock numbering 160 head. Mr. WAITE married Lydia A., daughter of James LEACH, and their children are James S., of Salamanca, and Bert L. George N. WAITE, born January 26, 1847, was a farmer with his father until 1865, when he learned the carpenter’s trade. For several years he has been a millwright and a contractor and builder. Since 1882 he has also been a dealer in lumber. He married Adelaide HITCHCOCK, of Ashford, who died and left one child, Thirza J. He married, second, Mary J. SCOTT, of North Collins, N.Y.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 461

Surnames: WEAST, SCHULTIS, GOODEMOTE, VOSBURG, SCHOONOVER, FULLER, COLE, DILLINGHAM, BOWEN, LINDSEY, WHITNEY

Conrad WEAST came from Schenectady in 1829 and was the first settler on the farm where his grandson, George W. WEAST, now lives. Mr. WEAST married Anna, daughter of Martin SCHULTIS. Their children were Stephen C., Sally, Francis, Susannah, Clark, and Lewis O. Stephen C. WEAST, born in Schenectady, was six months of age when his parents came to Ashford. He married Sally, daughter of John GOODEMOTE, and had five children: Augusta A., Julia E., Josephine (Mrs. William VOSBURG), George W., and John L. George W. WEAST, born in Ashford, November 12, 1859, married Edna O., daughter of Daniel SCHOONOVER, of Tuscarora, N.Y. Their children are Myrtle, George L., and Anna.

Benjamin WEAST was born in Schenectady and came to Ashford with his father. He married Olive, daughter of Amos V. FULLER, and has eight children: Mary A. (Mrs. Ozro COLE), of Ashford; Catherine, widow of A. R. DILLINGHAM, of Arcade; Amos B.; Emeline (Mrs. L. F. BOWEN); Louisa (Mrs. E. LINDSEY), of Yorkshire; Franklin C., of Arcade; Sarah (Mrs. M. J. LINDSEY), of Franklinville; and Adelle (Mrs. C. WHITNEY), of Franklinville.

Amos B. WEAST was born in Ashford, and Aug. 8, 1862, enlisted in Co. D, 154th N. Y. Vols., serving to the close of the war. He was promoted corporal in May, 1864, sergeant April 1, 1865, and was honorably discharged June 11, 1865.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bio from:

Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893

History of the Town of Ashford – Chapter XIX (19)

Page 461

Surnames: WEST, DOLE, DE WITT, HALL, OYER, STICKNEY, HITCHCOCK, QUACKENBUSH, DOX, PIKE, WEMPLE

Joseph WEST, son of Jonathan, was born in Galway, Saratoga county, settled in Sempronius, Cayuga county, and a few years later removed to Darien, Genesee county. In 1839 he settled in this town on the farm now owned by Peter DOLE and eventually removed to West Valley, where he died. He married Susan, daughter of Peter DE WITT, who bore him eleven children. George N. WEST, second son of Joseph and Susan WEST, was born in Sempronius, September 25, 1820. He came to Ashford with his parents, but returned to Darien in 1842, where he married Mary A., daughter of Rufus and Jerusha HALL, in 1849. About 1844 he engaged in the sale of merchandise in Attica and in 1857 he settled permanently in Ashford. About 1854 he built the first store in West Valley. It was conducted by William C. WEST, and now forms the rear part of the building occupied by the postoffice and harness shop. In 1858 he opened a store in West Valley, where he kept the first postoffice in 1860. He used his influence in securing the line of railroad through the town of Ashford and was the agent of the railroad company in procuring the right of way. In 1877 the company located a depot at Ashford Junction, which he had urged and recommended, and he was its station agent the ensuing five years, the postoffice there being named in his honor. Mr. WEST served as supervisor of Ashford in 1867-68 and again in 1877. In November, 1869, and in 1889 he was elected to the Assembly from his district. Mrs. WEST died January 6, 1890. By her he had these children: Clara A. (Mrs. G. W. OYER), of West Valley; Leonidas D., a merchant of Dundee, N.Y.; and Ida M. (Mrs. C. D. STICKNEY), of Buffalo. Mr. WEST married Mrs. Mary C. HITCHCOCK, of Oakland, Cal., December 10, 1891.

Rev. James L. WEST, son of Joseph WEST, was born in Ashford, June 22, 1838. He began working for wages and supporting himself at thirteen years of age. He obtained a common school education and engaged in farming. He has also been a dealer in live stock for the past thirty years. In 1878 he was licensed as a clergyman of the Free Baptist Church and is now the pastor of the church at Rawson. He married Christina, daughter of John D. QUACKENBUSH; children: John E., Cora L. (Mrs. Charles G. DOX), and James C.

Lockward WEST came to Ashford in 1839. He married Mary, daughter of Joshua PIKE, of Springville, who bore him two sons, Eugene and Charles. His second wife was Emeline WEMPLE, by whom he had seven children: Simon, James, Mina, Fred, Dewitt, Susan, and Eddie.
 

Back To Cattaraugus County


If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact me at:

Painted Hills

This page is maintained by the PHGS
 Last Update January 25, 2004

© 2002 by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society
Main | Email Us | Look-Ups | Members Family Pages
Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer

Website designed by Frankie Stonemetz
2002© Painted Hills Genealogy Society
All Rights Reserved