TOWN OF ALLEGANY

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES FROM: "HISTORICAL GAZETTEER AND BIOGRAPHICAL MEMORIAL of CATTARAUGUS COUNTY, NY", ed by WILLIAM ADAMS, Published 1893
 

Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 430

Surname: BASCOM

Col. George BASCOM was one of the pioneer settlers of Cattaraugus county, and was prominently known in this town, where the most of his life was spent. In the days of general trainings he was closely connected with the State militia, whence he obtained his title of colonel. He died in Allegany village April 11, 1893, in his eighty-fourth year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 430

Surnames: BLAIR, GRAVES

Jason BLAIR, a native of Massachusetts, was born September 12, 1810. November 13, 1835, he married Miss GRAVES, of Lisle, N. Y. Shortly afterward he came to Allegany and settled near Olean, where he remained for two years. His next home was at the mouth of Five Mile creek. He was a lumberman and cut the pine timber off 700 acres of land which he bought at from $1.00 to $2.50 per acre. They were early settlers and most of their provisions were brought from Buffalo by teams. There were times when roads were so bad that it was hardly possible to make the trips. Then provisions were exhausted. The little that was left the neighbors would divide and help each other out until their supplies came. Mr. BLAIR survived his wife, who died September 14, 1887. He died June 3, 1893. They had seven children, two of whom died in infancy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 430

Surnames: BOCKOVEN, VAN VLACK, LAMBERTON, RENWICK, RICE, HAYES, WILLARD

Lieut. William C. BOCKOVEN was born in New Jersey, July 18, 1824. He came to Allegany in 1848, remained about a year, and went to Fishkill, N. Y., where he married Maria VAN VLACK, July 22, 1850. The same year they moved to Allegany village. By trade he was a blacksmith. He was a partner with Dennis LAMBERTON four years, when LAMBERTON died, and Mr. BOCKOVEN continued the business alone until the breaking out of the Rebellion, when he went out as lieutenant of Co. I, 64th N. Y. Vols. Capt. Robert RENWICK was wounded and Lieutenant BOCKOVEN took command of Co. I as captain. After the close of the war he followed his trade until his death, which occurred January 13, 1890. He was a member of the River Union, No. 240, E. A. U. He left a wife, two sons, and three daughters. The children were Eleanor N. (Mrs. Hyde RICE); Dewitt C.; Jessie (Mrs. William H. HAYES); Minor; and Estella (Mrs. Clare WILLARD).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 430

Surnames: BOOTH, SLOCUM, HEALD

Edward BOOTH was born in England, December 11, 1844, and in 1851 came to America with his parents, Joseph and Susan BOOTH, who reside in Humphrey. They reared twelve children, eight of whom are living. Mr. BOOTH is a farmer in Allegany. He enlisted February 2, 1862, in Co. C, 105th N. Y. Vols., and served until the close of the war. He married, March 5, 1866, Mary D. SLOCUM who was born in Herkimer county, July 5, 1844. They have one child, Charles M., born July 15, 1867, married Flora HEALD, January 16, 1887, and has two children.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 430

Surnames: BOSTWICK, MEEKER, BROOKS

Harry BOSTWICK was born in Vermont, Oct. 17, 1793, married Annie MEEKER in 1825, and came to Allegany in 1852. He was a tailor by trade. His wife died June 6, 1881; he died June 12, 1883. Their children were Charles H., who was born in Vermont, April 11, 1826, and Martha M., who was born in July, 1827, and resides in Franklinville. Charles H. BOSTWICK married Lydia L. BROOKS, of Bethel, Vt., Aug. 18, 1852, and came to Allegany when about twenty-two years of age. His wife died July 28, 1888. His death occurred very suddenly July 27, 1890. Their children were Charles H. Jr., and Annice. The latter was born June 21, 1860, and resides on the homestead where four generations have lived and where three were born, the house being one of the oldest in town.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 431

Surnames: BUCHER, SUTTER, KREIN

John B. BUCHER, a weaver by trade, with his wife, Mary Ann SUTTER, and their two daughters and one son, emigrated to America in 1851, landing in New York city on June 24th. The family came from Ober Schneisingen, Canton Argan, Switzerland, where the son, William BUCHER, was born on July 19, 1839. The daughters' names were Helen and Lenna. The mother was a member of a prominent family in Switzerland. John BUCHER first settled near Buffalo, but soon moved to Transit, N. Y., and in 1852 located near Lockport. In 1853 he purchased a few acres of wild land in Amherst, Erie county, which he sold in March, 1859, and removed to Allegany, settling on the Four Mile, where the parents died at the age of seventy-seven years. William BUCHER's education was nearly all in German, which he judiciously combined with the practical knowledge he was forced to secure. Leaving home in April, 1858, he preceded the family to this town, where he worked by the month and finally purchased forty acres of land. By an accident he lost his right arm and then began peddling, but money was scarce and this proved unprofitable. In 1862 he secured a permit to enter the 154th Regiment and followed that organization through its campaigns, supplying the soldiers with tobacco, notions, etc. He returned home in June, 1865, and with the profits accumulated in the army he was enabled to pay for his farm. July 12, 1868, Mr. BUCHER married Mary KREIN, of Buffalo, and their children are William F., John P., Joseph A., Henry F., Christian A., George, Jacob, Albert, Mary A., Katie A., Clara E., and a daughter deceased. Mr. BUCHER is the owner of the celebrated Rock City in this town, a place fully described on a preceding page. He has always been a Republican in politics, but not an office-seeker.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 431

Surnames: BURLINGAME, JONES, LYON

Ira BURLINGAME, the father of Mrs. Cordelia C. JONES, was born in Weathersfield, Vt., November 5, 1778, and before attaining his majority went to Oxford, Chenango county, where he married Elizabeth LYON. He experienced religion in 1818 and united with the Baptist church. In 1827 he removed to Cattaraugus county, where he spent the remainder of his days. Here he soon identified himself with the Baptist church and labored to promote its interests until his death, which occurred November 29, 1846. His wife died at Franklinville in 1864. Only four of their twelve children are now living: Leroy, Elizabeth, Cordelia C., and A. Haynes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 431

Surnames: CALKINS, MACK, WAY, SIMMONS

John C. CALKINS, born in Ballston, Saratoga county, October 30, 1815, came to Great Valley about 1852. After the war he removed to Allegany and engaged in farming. He married, first, Abigail MACK, June 30, 1849, and by her he had three children: Foreman R., John E., and Commerce C. January 1, 1862, he married, second, Mary E., daughter of David P. and Hannah (WAY) SIMMONS, of Great Valley, and their children are David P., Lillian H., Charles F., Mary E. (deceased), and Adna D.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 431

Surnames: CARLS, HEIT

John H. CARLS was born in Germany, October 5, 1835, and in 1844 emigrated to America with his parents who settled in Buffalo. At the age of eighteen he began life in the lumber woods of Northern Wisconsin, where he was engaged thirteen months. He was next employed by Joseph Story, of Buffalo, in his sheep-skin tannery. In 1855 he came to Allegany and settled on a farm on the Four Mile, where he still resides, and near where he owns a steam shingle-mill and cider-mill. November 20, 1860, he married Magdalene HEIT, who has borne him twelve children, viz.: Lewis J. (who died March 26, 1872), John J., Magdalene, Andrew A., George I. (who died June 30, 1870), Rosie, Henry F., Barbara A. (who died October 10, 1881), Joseph F., Francis A., Edward, and Marcus J. His father, Henry, born in 1810, died May 7, 1882.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 432

Surnames: CHAMBERLIN, PLATT, BECKER, GOODEN, PARKS, COVELL

Charles CHAMBERLIN, son of Moses and Anna (PLATT) CHAMBERLIN, was born December 11, 1818, and married Caroline BECKER, of Chautauqua county, Nov. 12, 1848. She was born March 9, 1829. Mr. CHAMBERLIN came to Allegany over forty years ago and settled on a farm about one mile north of the village. He also owned a saw-mill on Five Mile creek. Feb. 16, 1880, while superintending the manufacture of lumber at the mill, the circular saw caught a board from the carriage which it severed in an instant and one of the pieces, thrown with great velocity, struck Mr. CHAMBERLIN on the left temple, causing instant death. He was an earnest member of the Methodist Episcopal church. His widow resides on the homestead. Their children are William M., born April 22, 1850, G. Frank, born Nov. 3, 1853, married Kate GOODEN, December 1, 1880, and has three children, Lewis M., Florence B., and Willard A.; Charles E., born August 3, 1856; Frederick E., born September 12, 1859; Anna P., born April 27, 1862, married Frank PARKS, of Allegany, and has three children, Grace, Sadie, and Clara; John, born June 10, 1865; and Jennie, born October 4, 1868. William M. CHAMBERLIN is a farmer and owns the mill where his father met his death. He married Miss Roslia COVELL, March 24, 1875. She was born September 16, 1850. Their children are Mabel C., Carrie J., Lewis S., Roy P. (deceased); and Edna R.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 432

Surname: CHAPIN

The CHAPIN family has long been well known in Allegany. The first representative who came here was Jabez CHAPIN, Sr., from Massachusetts. His son Roswell settled in Buffalo in 1815 and became the first village surveyor there. Two daughters of Jabez, Mary and Faritta, joined their brother in Buffalo, but removed to Allegany soon after their father settled here. Another daughter, Lucy, suggested the name Springville for that village in Erie county. Jabez CHAPIN, Sr., had a family of three sons and four daughters, and it is said that in none of their homes was ever found a lamp or a stove. At least this is true of those who settled in Allegany. They used candles for lighting, and did their cooking and warmed their houses with fires on the hearth of the fireplace. Only one – a maiden daughter – of this generation survives. Her nephew, however, lives in town. They have all lived to extreme old age and attribute their great longevity to never employing a physician. Their lives were full of history. Their house is a veritable museum of curiosities. Mary and Faritta for many years wove carpets for the neighbors. The former was an expert in needlework, especially in making fine embroidered lace, pieces of which are still extant and valued for their superior quality.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 432

Surnames: CLARK, JONES, LOOMIS, TYRRELL

Alfred CLARK, born in Claremont, N. H., November 15, 1808, married, November 3, 1833, Elizabeth H. JONES, and came to Allegany in 1841, where he conducted a tavern for nine years. He then opened a grocery store, which he ran until June, 1859; in 1864 his son Calvin G. succeeded to this business and continued it until 1890, when he sold out on account of poor health. Alfred CLARK died August 16, 1864; his wife's death occurred August 15, 1871. Calvin G. CLARK, their only child, was born December 30, 1834, and October 28, 1862, married Harriet L. LOOMIS, who was a daughter of William LOOMIS, and who was born in Machias, January 1, 1836. Mr. LOOMIS settled in Machias when he was seventeen years old and died there September 8, 1865; his wife was Emma TYRRELL, who survived him until May 22, 1800.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Pages 432 & 433

Surnames: CLARK, PRESTON

Henry CLARK, born in Franklin, N. Y., September 3, 1830, came to this town with his parents when nine years of age. He served three years in the late war in Co. D, 154th N. Y. Vols. He is now engaged in lumbering and farming. He married Mary J. PRESTON, December 12, 1854, who was born in Hinsdale, December 2, 1836. They have six children, viz.: Staley A. (died July 29, 1861), Ida J. (died Jan. 16, 1887), Harriet A., Lewis G., Anna E., and Gracie M.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 433

Surnames: CORTHELL, FITCH, FIELD

Lewis S. CORTHELL was born in Lima, Livingston county, in 1837, and in 1840 or 1841 came with his parents, Daniel and Sally (FITCH) CORTHELL, to Allegany (then Burton). His father and mother dying when he was very young he was early in life thrown upon his own resources for support, and in 1851 he began to learn the trade of harness maker, which has been his life vocation. May 5, 1859, Mr. CORTHELL married Annette F., daughter of Rev. J. M. FIELD, of Machias; they have an adopted daughter, Gertrude S. It is not in a business capacity only that Mr. CORTHELL is known to his townsmen. In 1862 he entered Co. C, 154th N. Y. Vols., and was postmaster of Allegany from 1866 to 1869 (through Johnson's administration). He was also justice of the peace for eight years from April, 1882, until he was compelled to resign in 1890, by reason of deafness, has served as town clerk, and for twenty-three consecutive years was clerk of the School Board. Mr. CORTHELL is a member of the Presbyterian church and is at all times deeply interested in the success of the Democratic party. He is widely known and much esteemed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 433

Surnames: DONAHUE, FITZGERALD, BURNS, CRONYN

Michael DONAHUE, who was born in Ireland, September 25, 1820, came to America in the fall of 1850. After residing six years in Buffalo he came to Allegany, where he is said to have cleared a piece of land by moonlight, his days being occupied in the employ of others. He was one of the pioneer farmers of the town and as a man has always been much respected. In the fall of 1852 he married Mary FITZGERALD, who died March 26, 1883. Their children were Ellen (Mrs. William BURNS), Bridget (Mrs. John CRONYN), Thomas, Michael P. (born March 1, 1865, died February 22, 1885), John, Mary, Mattie, and Maggie.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 433

Surnames: DYE, MERRILL, MOORE, PIXLEY

Dennis DYE was born in Litchfield, N. Y., March 15, 1805. In 1830 he removed to western New York, and from then until his death lived much of the time in Cattaraugus county. In April, 1852, he settled in Allegany as a farmer and died here February 23, 1872. His wife, Minerva MERRILL, who was born in Johnstown, N. Y., September 27, 1808, died here September 27, 1887. Their son Nathan A. was born in Litchfield, August 22, 1829, came to Freedom, and thence on March 7, 1852, to this town, where he became a merchant, dying December 5, 1882. A Democrat in politics Mr. DYE was elected to many town offices and in 1871 became justice of sessions of the county. Jan. 26, 1851, he married Rosaline, daughter of Oliver MOORE, a farmer and an early settler of Freedom and subsequently (in 1869) a resident of Allegany, where he died March 2, 1877. Mr. MOORE was born in Vermont, April 6, 1804, and his wife, Judith PIXLEY Jan. 12, 1796. Mr. and Mrs. DYE had born to them these children: Charles O., born May 18, 1852, died December 29, 1887; Mason M., born May 6, 1854; Jennie R., Sept. 23, 1858; Edwina M., July 11, 1860, William H., Nov. 19, 1862; Nellie B., Sept. 3, 1868; and Nathan E., October 14, I870, died Sept. 14, 1871. Mrs. DYE died Dec. 22, 1892. Mason M. and William H. are bankers in Allegany village. Mason M. was supervisor of Allegany from 1886 to 1889 inclusive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Pages 433 & 434

Surnames: EGGLESTON, HOPPING, ATWOOD, GILLETT, SPICER, BLISS, HADSELL, BURDICK

Isaac EGGLESTON, born in Vermont, February 13, 1792, came with his brother to Onondaga county about 1808, where in 1819, he married Rebecca HOPPING. In 1820 they settled in Olean and finally removed to Allegany, locating on Five Mile creek and subsequently on Nine Mile run, where Mr. EGGLESTON died May 17, 1872. His wife died February 15, 1872. They had eight children, three of whom died in infancy; the others are Eliza A. (Mrs. Jeremiah ATWOOD), Clarissa A. (Mrs. Cornelius GILLETT). deceased, John W., Almira B. (Mrs. Horace O. SPICER), and Rev. Charles C. John W. EGGLESTON married, first, Lydia L. BLISS, Dec. 2, 1858, by whom he had three children, Cora, Charles L., and William F. He married, second, August 27, 1873, Euphonia A., daughter of Abel and Lucy (HADSELL) BURDICK.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 434

Surnames: EISERT, FICK

George EISERT was born in Buffalo on the 7th of February, 1860, and came to Allegany in 1874 and engaged in peeling bark, beginning his present business in 1880. September 2, 1884, he was married to Anna FICK, who has borne him three children: Frank J., James W., and Lena. Mr. EISERT is a respected citizen and a prominent factor in the German population of the town.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 434

Surnames: EMMONS, BORN

John C. EMMONS was born in Corning, June 13, 1856. There he received his education. He married Ella BORN, of Cuba, Sept. 15, 1880, and came to Allegany in 1883. Mr. EMMONS is an experienced and reliable pharmacist. His is the leading drug store in Allegany village.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 434

Surnames: FARQUHARSON, HALE

James Henry FARQUHARSON, son of Francis and Margaret A. FARQUHARSON, was born in East Pike, Wyoming county, March 23, 1837. He became a telegraph operator in 1854 and performed the duties of that avocation in several stations in Cattaraugus county, receiving the appointment at Allegany on May 1, 1856. His wife, Marion J. HALE, of Hinsdale, whom he married August 19, 1856, bore him six children: Francis H., Fred H., William L., Millie J., Charles B., and Van Deusen. Mr. FARQUHARSON held many offices of trust, including that of supervisor on the Greenback ticket in 1878, and was prominently connected with the business, religious, and educational interests of the town and county.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 434

Surnames: FELT, LICHTENTHAL, KARL, COLT, REHLER, CLARK

Nicholas FELT, a native of Germany, was born May 3, 1823, and came to America in 1849. His first home was in Buffalo, from whence he moved to this town about 1861 with his brother-in-law. Three years prior to this, however, he had purchased his present home. His wife was Margaret LICHTENTHAL, who was born in Germany, December 31, 1827, and whom he married September 14, 1849. Children: Mary (Mrs. Joseph KARL), Magdalena (Mrs. Louis COLT), Katie (Mrs. Albert KARL), Margaret (Mrs. Andrew REHLER), Joseph, John (who married Angie CLARK), Nicholas, and Annie. The family are all exemplary, industrious citizens and are counted among the town's representative settlers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Pages 434 & 435

Surnames: FREELAND, ROBINSON, NORWOOD, HARDY, WORTHINGTON, SOULE, LOOMIS

James FREELAND was born in Caroline, N. Y., May 11, 1810. His father, Robert FREELAND, born in the North of Ireland about 1773, came to America in 1798 and settled in Tompkins county, where he married Catharine ROBINSON in 1800. He was a farmer and mechanic. James FREELAND attended the common schools and worked on his father's farm. May 23, 1833, he married Lucinda, daughter of Jonathan NORWOOD, Esq., of Caroline, and in 1836 removed to Allegany with his wife and two children. He soon became an expert river pilot, which occupation he followed for thirty years and never had a "breakup," but always landed his rafts safely at their place of destination. He was prominent and popular, and constantly in town offices until his retirement on account of old age. He successfully filled the offices of highway commissioner, justice of the peace, assessor, and postmaster. In 1876 he was the Democratic nominee for member of Congress. The characteristics that distinguish his life are enterprise, perseverance, honesty, and integrity. Mr. and Mrs. FREELAND's children are Dolphus S., who married Fannie E. NORWOOD in October, 1868, and now resides in Maywood, Neb., where he is postmaster; Jonathan B., who married Mariette HARDY, November 2, 1859, and is a minister of the Free Methodist church; Ruvena, who married Rev. Randolph WORTHINGTON, October 30, 1873; James A., who married Lottie E. SOULE, November 27, 1870, resides in Allegany; and Mabel L., who married Rev. H. H. LOOMIS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 435

Surnames: FRIES, MESSER

John FRIES was born in Buffalo, November 24, 1846, and came to Allegany with his parents when he was eight years of age. They were farmers and settled on the farm where John now resides. John FRIES was a soldier in the Rebellion, enlisting in Co. H, 188th N. Y. Vols. June 16, 1866, he married Elizabeth MESSER; children: Maggie, Annie, Mary, Lizzie, and Josie.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 435

Surnames: GALLETS, MOHR, BLAZUR, BRAND, GEISER, GEARINGER, NUSSER, KARL

Jacob GALLETS, Sr., was born in 1815 in Germany, where he married Susan, daughter of Jacob MOHR. With an only son they came to Allegany in the spring of 1853. Jacob MOHR had contracted for 250 acres of wild land on Four Mile creek, which was worked by himself and three sons, Henry, Joseph, and Peter, and John BLAZUR and Jacob GALLETS. These pioneers cleared their tract, and in winter were jobbers in cutting logs, spending their evenings in shaving pine shingles, which their wives packed into bunches for market. Upon the division of the 250-acre tract Jacob GALLETS received thirty-seven and one-half acres as his share. He added to this from time to time and at his death, February 10, 1879, had a farm of 360 acres. His widow survives him. Their children were Henry, Marcus, Mary, Joseph A., Jacob, Jr., Henry, Anna, and Barbara. Henry died in infancy. Marcus GALLETS was born in Germany, October 4, 1852, married Lucy BRAND, of Allegany, and resides in Pennsylvania. Mary was born here May 7, 1854, married Philip GEISER, and lives in Olean. Joseph A. GALLETS, born February 14, 1857, is engaged in farming, lumbering, and oil producing. May 7, 1878, he married Fanny GEARINGER, who has borne him six children: Jacob, Jr., Mary, Clara, Rosie, Laney, and Barbara. Jacob GALLETS was born October 6, 1858, and November 8, 1883, married Mary A., daughter of George NUSSER. They have four children, viz.; Theresa, George J., Mary E., and Grace A. Henry GALLETS, born May 6, 1861, is a farmer. May 5, 1886, he married Sophia E., daughter of George NUSSER, and they have two daughters, Agatha T. and Sophia G. Anna GALLETS was born in 1863. Barbara, the eighth child of Jacob GALLETS, was born November 1, 1865, and married, April 4, 1887, Jacob KARL, who was born April 4, 1862. Their children are Katharine S. and Ernest J.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 435

Surnames: GATES, BRANDALL, HIGGINS, LOBDGER, ERWIN, PERKINS

Rossell GATES, born in Canada on March 12, 1834, went to the oil regions of Pennsylvania in 1865, at a time when "Oil Well Johnnie," sprung into prominence as a spendthrift and had a meteoric career. Mr. GATES settled at Knapp's Creek in 1883 and removed in 1890 to the BRANDALL farm. On the 4th of January, 1855, he married Alecia HIGGINS, daughter of William HIGGINS, for fifty-two years high bailiff of Toronto, Can. Children: Hannah (Mrs. John LOBDGER), Mary Ann (deceased), Jonathan (deceased), Roswell, Lydia (Mrs. Henry ERWIN), and Anna (Mrs. Frank PERKINS).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Pages 435 & 436

Surnames: GEIGER, GATEZ, LIPPERT

Jacob GEIGER, born in Germany, April 24, 1841, came to America with his mother in 1854, landing in New York city on the 12th of October. His mother, after the death of Mr. GEIGER, married Peter GATEZ, and after living in Buffalo two weeks came to Allegany, arriving here in November, 1854, and settling on a farm on the Nine Mile run. In 1861 Jacob GEIGER enlisted in Co. H, 37th N. Y. Vols., and was discharged on the 6th of September of the same year for disability. In 1864 he re-enlisted in Co. A, 188th N. Y. Vols., and served until the close of the war. He participated in many important battles and suffered much hardship. November 12, 1866, he married Rossella, daughter of Albert KARL, and their children are John (deceased), Joseph, Katie (Mrs. Andrew LIPPERT), Robert, Rosie, and Mary (deceased).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 436

Surname: GORDON

Rev. Walter GORDON is a son of John GORDON and was born in Rushford, N. Y., January 22, 1824. In 1849 he located in Olean and the following year joined the Methodist Episcopal Conference. Rev. Mr. GORDON, during the years of his ministry, was stationed in various places in western New York and achieved wide distinction as a thorough worker and eloquent preacher. He was eminently successful in building up his charges to a higher degree of activity and usefulness, and left in all many warm friends and followers. He is now engaged in farming, being the owner of a large tract of land in southern Cattaraugus.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 436

Surnames: HAASE, REHKOPF, WIEGRAFE, ANGLE, SMITH, CONNHAISER, MASNER

Frederick HAASE, son of John H. and Louisa HAASE, was born in Germany, Nov. 18, 1824. After his father's death in 1860 he came to Allegany with his family and mother and bought a farm where he still resides. Louisa HAASE was born in 1797 and died in 1875. Frederick married, first, Laney REHKOPF and second Louisa WIEGRAFE. By his first wife he had seven children, two of whom died in infancy; the others are Henry F., Frederick E., Caroline, Hanna, and August V. Henry F. HAASE was born in Germany, Oct. 19, 1845, and is a farmer. He married Catharine A., daughter of George J. and Catharine (ANGLE) SMITH, Oct. 1, 1872, and they have bad two children, George F. and Emma. August V. HAASE, born Nov. 18, 1855, is a farmer on the homestead. He married Anna, daughter of Martin and Margaret (CONNHAISER) MASNER, April 12, 1883. She was born July 24, 1863. Their children are Howard F., Frederick H., Raymond, and Mildred.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 436

Surnames: HALL, MORRIS

George A. HALL, son of Lewis S., was born in Westfield, Chautauqua county, May 2, 1841. He came to Allegany in the fall of 1860, married Hattie C. MORRIS, of Chesterfield, Va., and has had born to him seven children, of whom six are living. Mr. HALL has a sash and door factory and planing-mill in the village which was owned and operated by his father for several years up to the time of his death in 1876.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 436

Surnames: HARBEL, KIANAN, BOCKMIER, SCHIFTER, EHBORER, SCHUMANN

John HARBEL, Sr., was born in Germany, Aug. 6, 1816, and married there Katharine KIANAN. He was among the early settlers on Four Mile run. His wife died July 30, 1876. He resides with his son John, Jr. They had four children: John, Jr., Andrew, Tresea, and Maggie. John, Jr., was born May 5, 1850, married Rose, daughter of George and Mary A. (BOCKMIER) SCHIFTER, Jan. 7, 1877, and has three children: Mary, Anna T., and George. Mr. HARBEL is engaged in farming and producing oil. Andrew HARBEL was born Aug. 12, 1852, married Tresea SCHIFTER on Oct. 21, 1879, and died July 26, 1882. Tresea HARBEL, born April 10, 1857, married August EHBORER. Maggie HARBEL was born March 8, 1860, and married, May 4, 1886, Anton SCHUMANN, who was born in Germany, Feb. 13, 1859, and came to Allegany in 1885. They have two children, Katie and Agnes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 436

Surnames: HARMS, ACKLEY, BRADY, MILLER

Henry E. HARMS, a native of Germany, was born January 14, 1859, and came to Scio, Allegany county, with his parents in 1868. In 1878 he accepted a position as clerk with A. E. ACKLEY, with whom he remained four years. In 1884 he formed a co-partnership with W. E. BRADY, of Allegany, in the boot and shoe business, which continued until 1887, when Mr. HARMS built the brick block where he is now located. He married Polena daughter of John MILLER, of Allegany, and they have one child, Mintie Louise.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Pages 436 & 437

Surnames: HILLS, MIDDAUGH, SEELEY, WRIGHT, ALTENBURG, GROSSMAN

Zarah C. HILLS, born in Tompkins county in 1814, came to Portville about 1831 and to Allegany in 1868. He married Amanda MIDDAUGH, of Allegany county, in 1837. She died January 25, 1885. Mr. HILLS resides in Warren county, Pa. They had five children, of whom Elphonso, James M., Miranda, and Jennie are living. Elphonso HILLS was born July 28, 1838, and is engaged in the manufacture of bee-hives and in handling bees. He married Martha E. SEELEY, February 17, 1862, who was born in Owego, N. Y., June 30, 1841. Their children are Flora I. (Mrs. William WRIGHT), Addie B. (Mrs. Abram ALTENBURG), Minnie H. (Mrs. Charles GROSSMAN), and Floyd A.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 437

Surnames: HIRT, SMITHER, ZISTER

Andrew HIRT, father of Henry, was born in Germany in 1810. He came to Buffalo in 1835, where he married Mary A. SMITHER, and in 1855 removed to Allegany, where he cleared 100 acres of woodland, and where he still resides. His wife died August 21, 1878. Their children were Lena, Louie (deceased), Mary, Francis (deceased), Henry, and Andrew. Henry HIRT, born September 24, 1850, married, October 3, 1876, Agatha ZISTER, who was born February 9, 1856. Their children are Mary L. Clara M. (deceased), Theresa M., Vincent H. (deceased), Frank L., and Annetta A.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 437

Surnames: JONES, LYON, BURLINGAME, BURNETT

Homer H. JONES, son of Benjamin, was born in this county April 10, 1826. He came to Allegany when about twelve years of age, and in 1851 bought the farm where he now lives. He married Cordelia C., daughter of Ira and Elizabeth (LYON) BURLINGAME, May 21, 1854. She was born in Franklinville, May 21, 1832. They have one child, Willis P., born August 9, 1859, who married Eva BURNETT, November 6, 1884, by whom he also has one child, Rochester B. They reside in Buffalo.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 437

Surnames: KARST, PRESACK, KERBER, LAKE, SCHAFER

George KARST, born in Germany, November 8, 1828, came to Fredonia, Chautauqua county, in 1852 and thence to Allegany in 1866. Here he was engaged in manufacturing light and heavy carriages in partnership with Joseph PRESACK until 1880, when the firm dissolved, Mr. KARST succeeding to the business, which he still conducts. He married, first, in 1854, Magdalene KERBER, who died October 16, 1884, and he married, second, Barbara LAKE, of Buffalo, February 17, 1887. His first wife was the mother of all his children: Philip, Charles, and Anna. Philip KARST is a wagon maker and repairer and dealer in carriages. He married Katie SCHAFER, of Allegany, June 10, 1878; she was born in Germany, October 23, 1858. They have four children: George P., Lena J., Emma K., and Clarence C.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 437

Surnames: LEWIS, McNALL, KEIM

Oren J. LEWIS was born in Collins, Erie county, September 4, 1842. He came to Allegany in 1869, married Olive A., daughter of Levi McNALL, October 14, 1871, and he has had two children: Ada L. and Leroy M. Mr. LEWIS with William KEIM organized the Crescent Milling Company in 1882, and by careful management the firm has established a substantial business and an enviable reputation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Pages 437 & 438

Surnames: LINDERMAN, FARWELL, WHITLOCK, ROGERS, SEARL, SILL, SMITH, CANADY

Nicholas LINDERMAN, born in Tompkins county, November 22, 1803, settled in Ischua in 1831. He was the father of eleven children (see Hinsdale). His son, John M. LINDERMAN, born in Ischua, October 4, 1831, married Ellen E., daughter of Thaddeus J. and Elizabeth FARWELL, June 14, 1855, and came to Allegany in 1869, settling the farm where he now resides. They have had three children: Medora F. (Mrs. Stanley WHITLOCK), Flora E. (Mrs. George ROGERS), and Ray. Orson, son of Nicholas, was born March 23, 1836. He married Hannah FARWELL, by whom he has five children: Charles, Alice, Nicholas, Eola, and Ellen. They reside in Allegany. Nicholas A. LINDERMAN was born March 11, 1838, and married Lucinda SEARL. Mary LINDERMAN was born June 26, 1840, and married Jackson SILL. Lester P. LINDERMAN was born March 13, 1842, and is a farmer in Allegany. He married Frances SMITH, by whom he had one child, Gertrude E., who married Charles CANADY. Mr. LINDERMAN married, second, Clara WHITLOCK, of Hinsdale, December 12, 1876. Adeline and Emeline (twins) were born Aug. 25, 1844. Edgar LINDERMAN was born March 17, 1847, and died September 11, 1850.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 438

Surnames: MASNER, MACK, CONNHAISER

Martin MASNER, born December 11, 1823, came to America from Germany in 1847 and to this town in 1851, where he still resides. He married, first, Elizabeth MACK, by whom he had four children, of whom Henry MASNER is the only one living. His second wife, Margaret CONNHAISER, was born in Germany, November 11, 1826, and by her he had nine children: Horace, died Oct. 26, 1881; Freddie, died Nov. 19, 1889; John, of Iowa; George, of Allegany; and Margaret, Carrie, Anna, Mary, and Minnie.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 438

Surnames: McCARTY, McAULIFFE, BLAIR

William P. McCARTY was born in Utica, N. Y., January 1, 1849. In 1854 he moved to Princeton, Ill., and in February, 1870, married Miss Margaret McAULIFFE, of Allegany. They have a son and a daughter. In 1887 Mr. McCARTY was appointed postmaster of Allegany by President Cleveland and served until April, 1891. He has been engaged in the furniture and undertaking business with J. C. BLAIR since 1889. He is a member of the C. M. B. A.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 438

Surnames: McCLURE, WARNER, BURLINGAME, TAGGART, STARR, GRIFFIN, CHAPMAN

Hiram W. McCLURE was the first white male child born in Cattaraugus county. His birth occurred at McCLURE settlement in the town of Franklinville on the 30th of April, 1806 and he was the eldest of nine children born to David and Orilla (WARNER) McCLURE, of whom something is said in the history of that town. David McCLURE was born in Stafford, Conn., June 29, 1778, and died in Allegany, January 20, 1848; his wife was born in the same place December 24, 1783, and died in Franklinville, February 19, 1849. Their children, besides Hiram W., were Antoinette, born January 5, 1808, died in Kansas, August 1, 1888; Adaline, born March 15, 1810, died May 4, 1811; Sidney W., born December 30, 1811, of Wisconsin; Hannah, born October 5, 1813, died December 10, 1866; David, Jr., born March 17, 1815, a physician of Indiana; Pennel, born January 2, 1817, a physician in Ohio, where he died October 6, 1842; Dexter, born February 9, 1819, a physician in Indiana, where he died February 24, 1879; and Lemira, born June 3, 1822, of Minnesota. Hiram W. McCLURE on September 12, 1830, married Caroline BURLINGAME, who was born September 21, 1813, and who died January 6, 1887. Children: Dr. Sanford B. (see p. 114); Elizabeth L., born February 2, 1838, died 1839; Alice B., born August 5, 1840, married W. B. TAGGART; Maria E., born July 12, 1842, married Riley L. STARR, who died in Ellicottville, December 26, 1886; Esther C., born December 6, 1844, married George S. GRIFFIN; Rosebelle, born June 2, 1847; Francis C., born February 12, 1850; Agnes G., born Nov. 12, 1851, married Dr. E. A. CHAPMAN, of Jefferson county; and Kate L., born Sept. 22, 1856. Hiram W. McCLURE located where he now resides in 1847. His first ballot was cast in 1828 for Andrew Jackson for president, and since then he has voted at every regular election except one. It is doubtful if another man in western New York can claim such an unbroken record. He has ever been prominent in town affairs and has held nearly every office of trust and responsibility. In 1838 and 1839 he represented Franklinville on the Board of Supervisors and in 1851 and 1873 served in the same capacity for the town of Allegany. His son and his father were several times elected to the same office, the former from Allegany and the latter from Ischua and Franklinville. As a citizen Mr. McCLURE is greatly respected and esteemed. He has lived an active, honorable, upright life, and has always been foremost in promoting the general weal of the Communities in which he has resided.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 439

Surnames: McCOY, WICKHAM, THORNTON, ALLEN, BURDICK

Richard H. McCOY, born in Goshen, N.Y., April 30, 1811, married Mary Ann WICKHAM November 17, 1835, who was born June 4, 1811, and died November 30, 1889. Mr. McCOY came to Ellicottville at an early day, and finally removed to Allegany and located where he now resides. His children are Abigail (Mrs. David THORNTON), Elizabeth (Mrs. Seth D. ALLEN), Richard, Albert, Mary Ann (died in infancy), Alfred, and Susan. Richard McCOY enlisted in Co. I, 64th N. Y. Vols., was wounded at Fair Oaks, was confined in Libby, Salisbury, and Belle Isle prisons, and married, May 1, 1867, Sarah B. BURDICK, and has three children: Albertus A., Gertrude B., and Florence L.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 439

Surnames: McINTOSH, EVERTS, PRATT, JOHNSON, PARKER

Silvertus D. McINTOSH was born at Homer, Cortland county, May 13, 1831. He came to Humphrey with his parents, Jonathan and Annie McINTOSH, when thirteen years of age. He served in the Rebellion on the U. S. steamer Paw Paw and died Jan. 9, 1866. He married, Jan. 5, 1861, Cornelia S., daughter of Rollin and Susan (EVERTS) PRATT, who came from Vermont to Olean in 1838, where Mr. PRATT died in 1886 and his wife June 19, 1889. Mrs. McINTOSH resides on the homestead. They reared children as follows: Salina G., Addie C. (Mrs. Myron D. JOHNSON), Annis S. (Mrs. John A. PARKER), Jonathan E., Elizabeth C., Lillie F., Grace U., and Judson R.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 439

Surnames: McMAHAN, CLARY, DEVEREUX, EDGERTON, HICKEY

Thomas McMAHAN, brother of John McMAHAN, of Ellicottville, was born in County Clare, Ireland, in 1830, came to America with his younger brother, James, about 1844, and spent the remainder of his youth in Ellicottville, where he married Ann CLARY. Soon afterward he settled in Allegany and engaged in farming on the DEVEREUX farm. Later he purchased the EDGERTON homestead on the Five Mile, where he was a thrifty farmer and an extensive dealer in live stock. Mr. McMAHAN was a man of integrity, sound judgment, and of more than ordinary business ability. He died May 14, 1877. Mrs. McMAHAN survives and resides on the homestead. Their children are Mary A. (Mrs. Eugene HICKEY), of Allegany; Nora T., John C., and Thomas F., who reside with their mother; and James G., an enterprising merchant in Ellicottville, secretary of the Board of Trade, and for a time a member of the Board of Village Trustees. John C. McMAHAN, like his father, is one of the heaviest dealers in live stock in Cattaraugus county.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 439

Surnames: MILLER, RUPPERT, SCHRADER

John MILLER was born in Bavaria, Dec. 14, 1833. He came to Maryland in 1853 and in 1860 removed to Allegany, where in 1883 he built the MILLER block, which contains a hall capable of seating about 500 people. Mr. MILLER was overseer of the poor eleven years, commissioner of public highways two years, and school trustee fifteen years. He married, in Nov., 1855, Rose RUPPERT, who died Nov. 24, 1886. By her he had eight children: Eve, Joseph, Polly, John, Kate, Andrew, Charles, and Rose, all of whom are living except Eve, who died November 5, 1879. He married, second, Mary SCHRADER, of Salamanca, Sept. 10, 1889.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 439

Surnames: MOHR, MIAR

Henry MOHR was born in Germany, July 8, 1832, came to Buffalo and thence to Allegany in 1853, settling on 125 acres of land which he has cleared. June 10, 1859, he married Ann MIAR, who was born in Germany, June 26, 1834. They have eight children; Joseph, Katie, Andrew, John, George, Anna, Frank, and Martha.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 439

Surnames: MORTIMER, KEMMER, SPINDLER

John MORTIMER was born in Belgium, October 28, 1828, came to Allegany in 1854, and settled on Chipmunk creek. In 1860 he returned to Belgium on a visit and there married Mary KEMMER, March 4, 1861. In 1867 he took possession of their present home. Their children are John H., Josephine A. (Mrs. John J. SPINDLER), Henry F., and Mary A.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 440

Surnames: MULTRUS, ZINK, SMITH

Joseph H. MULTRUS was born in Dayton, December 8, 1857. September 18, 1883, he married Mrs. Libbie (ZINK) SMITH, daughter of William F. ZINK, of Allegany, by whom he has had three children, viz.: Mary, Libbie, and Joseph. Mr. MULTRUS is a prosperous farmer in the town of Allegany.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 440

Surnames: NENNO, ZINK, FURNACE

Nicholas H. NENNO was born in Buffalo, June 5, 1838, came to this town about 1857, and was a farmer and lumberman. About 1867 he bought the farm where his widow now resides. February 13, 1890, Mr. NENNO was killed by falling from the top of a tank house at the oil well on the ZINK farm, where he was at work. At the time of his death he was poormaster and president of Branch 41, C. M. B. A. January 15, 1858, he married Barbara FURNACE, of Buffalo. They reared twelve children: John, William, Mary, George, Michael, Joseph, Victor, Lena, Frank, Freddie, Charles, and Edward.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 440

Surnames: NESSEL, GRIMES, BOUGHTON, DYE

Joseph NESSEL was born in Montgomery county January 15, 1830, and about 1855 married Almari GRIMES, of Vermont. Their two children were George H. and Mary. When sixteen years of age Mr. NESSEL came to this town and contracted for 378 acres of land, which he paid for by clearing off the timber and converting it into lumber. His first habitation was a log cabin, which stood 150 rods from his present home. Four years later he erected another near by and subsequently a third on the site of his present residence. This burned down February 1, 1885. He was one of the earliest settlers on the Four Mile and has always been considered a solid, substantial citizen. His son George H. was born in March, 1857, married Harriet BOUGHTON, and has one child, Joseph B. The daughter, Mary, born in 1859, married Charles O. DYE, and died in 1884; Mr. DYE's death occurred in 1885. They left one child, Florence E.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 440

Surnames: NORWOOD, LAKE, HILLS, PHILLIPS

Thomas C. NORWOOD was born in Caroline, N. Y., Dec. 30, 1820, and came to Allegany on a visit about 1842. After remaining one year he returned to Tompkins county, but in 1860 came back and settled permanently. He has been a farmer and blacksmith. He married, in 1846, Sarah LAKE, of Tompkins county, who bore him three children: Byron, Fred H., and Nettie.

Byron NORWOOD was born Oct. 30, 1847, and for about twenty years has been express messenger between Salamanca and Chicago. He married Jennie HILLS, of Allegany, November 1, 1872, and they have had four children -- Harry, Guy, Genevieve, and Geraldine.

Fred H. NORWOOD was born Aug. 27, 1849, and is a farmer. He married Celestia PHILLIPS, Oct. 14, 1875, and has two children, Agnes G. and Emma D. 

Nettie NORWOOD, born July 28, 1852, died April 15, 1862.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 440

Surnames: PERRIGO, STEDMAN, BESSEY, RAISH, CHASE

Lyman PERRIGO, a native of Franklinville, was born Sept. 20, 1832, and married, July 4, 1853, Mary Ann, only child and daughter of Frederick and Maria M. (STEDMAN) BESSEY, who bore him two children – Fred C., born Feb. 2, 1856, married Flora, daughter of Thomas and Eliza RAISH, of Allegany Oct. 26, 1885, has two children, Raymond N. and Clarence R., and resides on the homestead; and Estella M., born May 20, 1859, married Edwin E. CHASE, Nov. 6, 1877, and had one child, Mortimer D. Frederick BESSEY was born in Vermont, Feb. 6, 1808; his wife was also born there May 15, 1813; they were married Sept. 29, 1833. They came to Allegany in 1845. He died here March 30, 1875. His widow survives him and resides with her daughter, Mary Ann PERRIGO, who was born Sept. 5, 1834.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Pages 440 & 441

Surnames: PHELPS, TORREY, KEYES, SCOFIELD

Dudley PHELPS, son of Gideon Spencer PHELPS, was born Sept. 5, 1834, in the town of Barker, Broome county. He came to Friendship, Allegany county, in 1854, where, in 1855, he married Maria TORREY, who bore him two children: Jennie E. (Mrs. S. G. KEYES) and Charles S. both of Gowanda. The family came to Allegany in 1856, where Mrs. PHELPS died Sept. 10, 1863, while her husband was in the army. On Aug. 6, 1862, Mr. PHELPS enlisted in Co. C, 154th N. Y. Vols., and served until the war closed, being promoted corporal. He married, second, Nov. 23, 1865, Julia A., daughter of Amos SCOFIELD, of Allegany. Mr. PHELPS is a general merchant, and is serving his eighteenth term as town clerk.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 441

Surnames: PHILLIPS, RANNEY, NORWOOD, PLATNER, McNALL

Abiathar PHILLIPS, Sr., was born at Ashfield, Mass., Oct. 27, 1774, and married Hannah RANNEY, Dec. 4, 1800. He came to Phelps, Ontario county, about 1820, and in 1828 removed to this town with his oldest son, Abiathar, Jr., locating on land where Fred NORWOOD now lives. In the summer of 1829 he brought his family to this home, where he and his wife resided the remainder of their lives. He died Feb. 1, 1863, and his wife July 28, 1857. They reared twelve children: Esther, Eliza, Abiathar, Jr., George, Anna, Samuel R., Jared, Harriet, William H., Charles H., Alonzo F., and John P., of whom four sons are living: Abiathar, Jr., William H., Charles H., and John P. Mr. PHILLIPS served as supervisor of the town in 1845 and 1846. John P. PHILLIPS resides in this town and is a farmer. He married Sophronia PLATNER. Jared D. PHILLIPS, son of Samuel R., was born in Allegany, Oct. 30, 1841. He married Mary J., daughter of Levi McNALL, Nov. 1, 1876. They have one child, Myrtie M.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 441

Surnames: POTTER, PRIEST, LITTLE, CURTISS

Jeremiah POTTER was born in Otsego county in 1796. He married Betsey PRIEST, and with his wife and three children came to Farmersville about 1839. There they died, she in 1851 and he in 1871. They reared three children: Eliza A., who married Walter N. LITTLE, of Farmersville, and died on the homestead in October, 1886; Augustus F., who married Elmira CURTISS, of Bradford, Pa., and resides in Wisconsin; and Chester L., who was born Aug. 6, 1834. The latter served in the late war in Co. K, 105th N. Y. Vols. He married Mahala PRIEST, Sept. 30, 1870, and came to Allegany in 1880, where they still reside.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 441

Surnames: PRESACK, DOMBROWSKY

Joseph PRESACK, born in Germany, June 18, 1838, emigrated to America in 1862. He served in the late war in Co. I, 16th N. Y. Cav., and was discharged Sept. 21, 1865. He came to Allegany in 1866 and worked at his trade of blacksmith until poor health obliged him to make a change. He is now in the insurance business. Oct. 30, 1866, he married Frances DOMBROWSKY, of Allegany, and they have had four children: Randolph, Frank, Lizzie, and Gustave.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 441

Surnames: SCHIFTER, BOCKMIER, HARBEL, FELT

George SCHIFTER was born in Germany, February 10, 1817. In 1852, the year he came to America, he married Mary A. BOCKMIER. They settled in Clearfield county, Pa., whence they moved to this town about 1857. Their first home here was on the Nine Mile run, but in 1865 they located in Allegany village, where they died – Mr. SCHIFTER on May 19, 1875, and his wife on June 30, 1884. They had nine children, viz.: Caroline, Mary, and George who died in infancy, Katie (deceased), Rose (Mrs. John HARBEL), Tresea (Mrs. Andrew HARBEL), Mary, Lena (Mrs. Joseph FELT), and Michael.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 441

Surnames: SCHULTZ, SMITH, LAMB

William F. SCHULTZ was born in Buffalo on the 5th of December, 1860. His father, Charles H. SCHULTZ, moved with his family to this town in 1861, arriving here on the 8th of November, where the son has since resided. His wife is Mary SMITH, by whom he has one son, Howard H. Mr. SCHULTZ's mother's maiden name was Christina LAMB. The family is a prominent one in the German element of the town.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Pages 441 & 442

Surnames: SCOFIELD, LINES, SELLECK, BULLOCK, PHELPS, SMITH, CLAYTON

Amos SCOFIELD was born in Hadley, Saratoga county, February 22, 1810, and came as a lumberman to the town of Allegany in 1839, settling on Five Mile run, where he died April 15, 1858. By his wife, Ruth LINES, who died here January 21, 1880, he had seven children, viz.: Harriet (deceased), who married Rev. E. J. SELLECK; Augusta Charlotte (Mrs. A. W. BULLOCK), of Allegany; Julia A. (Mrs. Dudley PHELPS), of Allegany; Ellen Lorette (Mrs. Frank S. SMITH), of Binghamton; Lovina E. (Mrs. Rev. T. E. CLAYTON), of Ocean Grove, N. J.; Amos B., of Rochester; and Willis J., of Allegany. Mr. SCOFIELD was prominent in town affairs and owned and operated several saw-mills at various times. His brothers Barzilla settled in Portville, Harvey in Hinsdale, and Shadrack in Oneida county – all in 1839.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 442

Surnames: SHELDON, LAMBERTON, OVEROCKER, BROWN, PARK

George C. SHELDON, a native of New Hartford, Conn., was born Jan. 13, 1811, and when about twenty-one years of age came to Allegany, where he died Oct. 7, 1882. He was a member of the Free Methodist church. Nov. 4, 1834, he married Julia LAMBERTON, of Allegany, by whom he had five children. Mrs. SHELDON was born September 28, 1818, and died in 1853. Mr. SHELDON married, second, Elizabeth OVEROCKER, in 1856, who survived but a few years. He married again, in June, 1866, Mrs. Rebecca H. BROWN, who still resides on the homestead with Norton T. SHELDON. The children of George C. and Julia SHELDON were George L., Mary A., Norton T., Charles C., and Margaret S. George L., born October 18, 1835, enlisted in Co. I, 64th N. Y. Vols., and served three years. He is a baker in Allegany. He married Georgianna PARK and they have four children: Charles F., Park C., a wholesale liquor dealer in Allegany, Luceba H., and Bennie D. Norton T. SHELDON resides on the homestead and owns, besides, a saw-mill near the mouth of Five Mile creek. September 26, 1866, he married Louisa A. BROWN, and their children are Estella J., Minnie L., and Clare E. Charles C. SHELDON, Jr., died Jan. 7, 1885.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 442

Surnames: SMITH, ANGLE, HAASE, WILLARD, BURGER, GOODWIN, WRIGHT

John G. SMITH was born in Germany, April 15, 1803. There he married Katharine R. ANGLE in 1838 and emigrated to America in December, 1851, settling first in Buffalo and in 1856 in Allegany, where he died March 23, 1876, and his wife February 8, 1885. They had born to them seven children, three of whom died in infancy. The others were Katharine A., Frederick, George, and John S.

Katharine A. married Henry F. HAASE, of Allegany.

Frederick SMITH was born in Germany, October 21, 1841, came to America with his parents, and commenced his business life as a clerk with Erastus WILLARD, who in 1868 admitted him to an equal partnership, which continued until 1884, when Mr. SMITH became sole owner. April 21, 1881, he married Mary L. BURGER, who was born in Olean, Aug. 19, 1856, and graduated from the State Normal School at Fredonia. They have three children: Raymond, Georgianna and Clinton.

George SMITH was born Jan. 20, 1845, and served in Co. I, 64th N. Y. Vols., being fatally wounded in the battle of Gettysburg.

John S. SMITH, born Aug. 16, 1859, is engaged in the mercantile business with his brother. He married Emma L., daughter of Isaac and Eliza J. (GOODWIN) WRIGHT, Sept. 8, 1881.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Pages 442 & 443

Surnames: SPRAKER, SOUTER, HYDE, CARR, HALL, FRANK, MIXER

The SPRAKER family in Allegany has been one of the most prominent families in the town. The record goes back to William SPRAKER, who was born in Germany, Oct. 9, 1808, and there married Christina SOUTER. They emigrated to America in 1847 and located in Erie county. Only two of their nine children are living. Mr. SPRAKER came to Allegany in May, 1854, and died in the village May 30, 1875. His son, William SPRAKER, Jr., born in Germany, December 11, 1838, came with his parents to this town in 1854 and has since been one of its foremost citizens. His education was obtained in the common schools of Erie county and clerking was his early occupation. August 21, 1861, he enlisted in Co. I, 64th N. Y. Vols., and participated in ten regular engagements, receiving a wound at Gettysburg on July 2, 1863, and being discharged May 3, 1864. Mr. SPRAKER was appointed postmaster Dec. 20, 1865, and was re-appointed in 1875, serving continuously from then until 1887. He was again appointed in 1891 and is the present incumbent of that position. He has also served as town clerk and in other capacities, and is a member and has been an officer of the local G. A. R. Post. October 29, 1867, he married Susan E. HYDE, who died Aug. 12, 1886; she bore him three children: Clarence H., Lois M. (Mrs. Miner CARR), and George V. He married, second, Mrs. Phoebe HALL, sister of his first wife, on June 28, 1887, by whom he has one child, Harold E. Henry HYDE, the father of Mr. SPRAKER's two wives, was born in Germany and came to Allegany in 1855.

Charles SPRAKER, the other surviving son of William SPRAKER, Sr., was born Oct. 20, 1842, and Feb. 18, 1868, at Olean, he married Mary FRANK. He began life as a clerk for Marsh & Van Campen in March, 1857, in which capacity he continued until just before his marriage, when he was admitted to the firm under the name of Marsh & Co. In 1876 he formed the firm of SPRAKER & MIXER, and in April, 1881, bought his partner out. February 22, 1889, a fire destroyed his mercantile establishment, but he soon rebuilt and started anew, He has two children, Frank and Anna. Mr. SPRAKER has served as town clerk and in 1885 he represented Allegany on the Board of Supervisors.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 443

Surnames: STEPHEN, FRANK, HETZ, WELCH, NOONAN, TRAVERS

William M. STEPHAN was a native of Germany, where he was born Oct. 8, 1819. He came to the United States in 1850 and after living in Buffalo four years removed to Allegany, locating on Nine Mile run. In 1864 he settled on the Four Mile, where he still resides, being one of the early settlers in that locality. Mr. STEPHAN has held several town offices and has been quite an extensive oil producer. In 1849 he married Mary FRANK, who was born Aug. 29, 1816. Their children are Charles P., born Jan. 12, 1853, married Emma, daughter of Michael and Elizabeth HETZ, Oct. 3, 1881; Clara, born Feb. 16, 1854, married Michael WELCH; George; Mary J., born Dec. 3, 1856, married Patrick NOONAN; and Frank H., born Nov. 27, 1858, married, Dec. 25, 1883, Maggie A., daughter of Frank and Margaret TRAVERS, and has had born to them these children: Jennie M., Laura P., and Francis (deceased). The children of Charles P. STEPHAN are William Henry, Frank A., Elmer H., and John M. George STEPHEN, third child of William M., was born Sept. 8, 1855, and until 1880 was engaged in lumbering. In that year he located on his present farm. Dec. 27, 1880 he married Mary NOONAN and their children are Celia, Fred, Clara (deceased), Albert, Agnes, and Eddie.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Pages 443 & 444

Surnames: STRONG, WHITE, CLIFFORD, FOX, ANDREWS, MAY, LEMON

James STRONG, son of Solomon and Mary (WHITE) STRONG, born in Vermont, May 3, 1868, married Catharine CLIFFORD, of New Hampshire, in 1799, came to. Olean in 1819, and two years later removed to Allegany, settling where the widow of his son James, Jr., now resides. The first marriage in Allegany occurred at his house, being that of his daughter Sally to William B. FOX in 1825. James STRONG died April 20, 1839, and his wife, Catharine, Aug. 16, 1852. Their children were Almeda, Solomon, Sally, Emily, Luthera, James, Jr., Catharine, Adeline, William, and Jame A., all deceased. James STRONG, Jr., married Carmale, daughter of Rhody (ANDREWS) MAY, of Hinsdale, April 25, 1857, and died in June, 1882. His widow survives him and lives on the old homestead. Their children were Eola and Lew J. Eola, born Oct. 30, 1858, married Frank LEMON and has two children, Lew S. and Fred H. Lew J., born Nov. 22, 1864, is a farmer and resides on the homestead. William MAY, father of Mrs. James STRONG, Jr., died in 1840 and his wife Rhody in 1844.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 444

Surnames: THORNTON, McCOY, FRANK

Davis THORNTON, born in Allegany county, July 2, 1828, came to this town when eighteen years of age and followed lumbering and rafting on the Allegheny river until 1889. In the spring of 1890 he built the Allegheny River House near the Indian reservation. He married, first, Abigail, daughter of Richard H. McCOY, who was the mother of his son David. Mrs. THORNTON died May 27, 1856. His second wife was Lydia A. FRANK, by whom he has three daughters, Katie, Mary, and Abbie.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 444

Surnames: WHEELER, LINDSLEY, SPALDING, HATCH, REDOUT, CURTISS, HAYNES, PETERSON, KAHN

William H. WHEELER was born in Washington county, January 1, 1824. He married Rebecca LINDSLEY, July 4, 1845, who was born October 15, 1826. Mr. WHEELER came to this county when about ten years of age, with his parents, who settled in Yorkshire. He now resides in Allegany and is a farmer. He has two brothers, Charles M. and Joseph A. WHEELER, and one sister, Mrs. Helen M. SPALDING, who reside in this town. William H. WHEELER has eleven children: Devillow, born in Yorkshire, October 4, 1846, enlisted in the late war at the age of sixteen in Co. I, 154th N. Y. Vols., and starved to death at Andersonville prison; William W., born at Yorkshire, August 26, 1848, served in the late war in Co. A, 188th N. Y. Vols., married Julia H., daughter of Marshall and Emma HATCH, April 23, 1874, who was born November 1, 1856, and has six children, Jennie R., Alice A., J. Russell, George P., William W., Jr., and Matie E.; Myron Devereux, born in Allegany, December 8, 1850 married Emeline REDOUT, and resides in South Saginaw, Mich.; George C., who died in infancy; Caroline H., born May 9, 1855, married John CURTISS, Jr.; Halsey A., born June 28, 1858, married Emelia REDOUT; Hannah L., born June 25, 1860, married Russell HAYNES; Nancy, born February 7, 1863, married Theodore PETERSON, and died in 1879; Guy I., born October 15, 1866, in Allegany; John H., born September 18, 1869, died in infancy; and Ada, born February 1, 1872, married John KAHN.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 444

Surnames: WARD, HANEY, SMITH

Dwight W. WARD, second son of Robert D. and Mary A. (HANEY) WARD, was born in Jamestown, N. Y. Robert D. was an only son and was born in Ireland, October 20, 1812, emigrating thence to America in 1828, the voyage lasting three months. Learning the cabinet maker's trade in Bath, N., Y., where he married Mary A. HANEY on September 24, 1833, he removed to Jamestown, where he ran a foundry for fourteen years, when he engaged in hotel keeping until his death in 1857. His widow with her family removed to Allegany in 1859 and resides with her daughter, Mrs. William H. SMITH. Their children were Elida S. (Mrs. W. H. SMITH), Hibbard P., Dwight W., John D. (deceased), and Mary E. (deceased). Dwight W. WARD was born February 12, 1849. Coming to this town in 1859 he subsequently purchased what was known as WARD's Hotel, now called Park Hotel, which he conducted until 1883, when he engaged in the business of developing the oil fields and producing oil, in which he has been one of the most extensive operators in town.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 444

Surnames: WILBER, PALMER

Henry WILBER was born in the town of Humphrey, and has one child, Henry S., who was born in Allegany, Jan. 21, 1884. Mr. WILBER is manager of Sheldon's Allegany cheese factory. His father, Philo C. WILBER, came from Onondaga county to this county when about nine years of age. He married Catherine PALMER.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Pages 444 & 445

Surnames: WILLARD, REYNOLDS, HUNTLEY

Erastus WILLARD, son of Sherlock and Elizabeth (REYNOLDS) WILLARD, was born in Lisle, N. Y. March 23, 1823, while his parents were moving from Fort Edward to Cattaraugus county. The family settled in Franklinville. In the fall of 1843 he came to Allegany (then Burton) and taught a district school, which closed in March, 1844. In December of this year he began his mercantile life in this town. Mr. WILLARD began a small business with small means, and constantly increased both until he finally had one of the largest and best stores in western New York. He took an active interest in local Democratic politics, and was supervisor in 1850 and from 1865 to 1867 inclusive, and served his town as justice of the peace about forty years. In 1877 he was his party's candidate for member of Assembly, but his district being overwhelmingly Republican he was defeated. He was loyal and true during the Rebellion, and although he was not drafted he nevertheless, in accordance with his convictions of duty, placed a substitute in the army. April 26, 1848, he married Harriet A., daughter of Henry HUNTLEY and a native of Herkimer, N. Y., and granddaughter of Abner HUNTLEY, who was born near Bunker Hill, Mass., in 1767. Her father was born in 1804 and she was born in Cuba, N. Y., Dec. 25, 1828. Mr. WILLARD's children were Charles, born in Allegany, March 11, 1849, died Nov. 10, 1865; Clare, born July 28, 1870, who is his father's successor in business and the proprietor of WILLARD's Stock Farm; and Hattie, born Aug. 5, 1872, died Sept. 7th following. Mr. WILLARD died Dec. 31, 1889. Mr. and Mrs. WILLARD were active members of the Methodist Episcopal church of Allegany and he was one of its liberal supporters.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 445

Surnames: WILTSE, HALL, JONES, WILBER, KENYON, VAN BRUNT

William WILTSE was a native of Marcellus, Onondaga county, and was born April 2, 1802. On the 26th of April, 1821, he married Sophia HALL, who was born in Connecticut on March 10, 1800. They came to Allegany in the spring of 1848 and the next year built a hotel, which they kept until 1859, when they engaged in farming, continuing in it until his death Oct. 7, 1865, her death occurring June 5, 1874. Their children were Cornell, Charles C., and Danford W. Cornell WILTSE, born May 16, 1824, came to this town with his parents, and married Electa JONES, of Hinsdale; they have one child, Wesley C., a Baptist preacher who married Louisa WILBER, of Allegany. Charles C. WILTSE was born December 19, 1827, and died May 28, 1866. Dec. 7, 1847, he married Abigail KENYON, who survives him and resides in this town; their daughter Orcelia is the wife of Orran VAN BRUNT. Danford W. WILTSE was born Aug. 17, 1833; he resides in Springville, N. Y. Amos JONES, the father of Mrs. Cornell WILTSE, came with his wife Eliza to Allegany in 1841 and in 1867 removed to Minnesota. They had eleven children.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 445

Surnames: WING, BLOWER, CONNHAISER, BARNES

Asa S. WING was born in Oneida county, March 7, 1837. He came to East Otto with his parents when twelve years of age. He was a soldier in the late war in Co. G, 154th N. Y. Vols., and was taken prisoner at Gettysburg and confined in Libby prison. He came to Allegany in 1865. Mr. WING married, first, Louisa BLOWER, of Oneida county; their three children died in infancy. His second wife, Catharine CONNHAISER, whom he married in June, 1862, was born in Germany, March 9, 1837. Their children were Eliza L. (Mrs. Thomas A. BARNES), Nelson, Julia, Edward, Emma, Georgie Anna, Charles E., Elizabeth C., and Samuel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 445

Surnames: WOODARD, FRANKLIN

Frederick J. WOODARD, born in Bolivar, Allegany county, July 16, 1859, learned the printer's trade at Wellsville in the office of the Allegany County Reporter, and was employed three years in the Herald office in Olean. In 1885 he came to Allegany and purchased the farm where he now lives. He married Anna FRANKLIN, of Portround, Ontario, Canada, Oct. 26, 1881, and by her has had two children: George and Artiemarie.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Pages 445 & 446

Surnames: ZINK, CRIQUIE, KENOCH, ROBINSON, MULTRUS, SMITH, LINEHART, REITZ, BRITCHEL

William F. ZINK, born in Germany, Feb. 3,1828, emigrated to Buffalo with his parents in 1831. He came to this town in 1855 and is engaged in farming. Mr. ZINK married, Feb. 3, 1851, May C. CRIQUIE, who was born in Buffalo, Oct. 9, 1829. She is said to have been the first German child born in that city. Their children were William, Jr., born Nov. 23, 1851, married Rickey KENOCH; Minnie, born Feb. 3, 1853, married John W. ROBINSON; Frank, born June 8, 1856, married Rosa MULTRUS; Libbie born April 15, 1859, married, first, April 24, 1877, Sebastian SMITH, who died Sept. 13, 1880, and second, Sept. 18, 1883, Joseph H. MULTRUS, and their children are Mary, Libbie, and Joseph, Jr., Mrs. MULTRUS's first children being Frank and Nellie SMITH; John F., born May 5, 1861, married Lizzie LINEHART; George H., born June 6, 1865, married Mary REITZ; Mary Z., born Aug. 7, I870, died Sept. 28, 1870; and Mary M., born June 29, 1872. Francis ZINK, father of William F. ZINK, was born in Germany in 1800. He there married Bridget BRITCHEL, who with him came to America in 1831, settling at Eden Corners, Erie county. He died May 29, 1855, in Allegany, at the residence of his son. His wife survived him until April 9, 1880.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bio from:
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, ed by William Adams, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany – Chapter XVIII (18)
Page 446

Surnames: ZISTER, WEAVER, HYDE

Michael ZISTER, born in Germany about 1818, came to Buffalo about 1850, and a few years later settled in Allegany. He had thirteen children, of whom seven are living. His wife was Louisa A. WEAVER, who died in 1888. Michael ZISTER died in 1867. John ZISTER, son of Michael, was born in Buffalo, Jan. 3, 1856. He came to Allegany with his parents and married Elizabeth, daughter of Sebastian HYDE, Aug. 16, 1880. They have had born to them five children, viz.: Edna C., Alice L., Clara E., Clarence, and Laura A.
 

Back To Cattaraugus County


If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact me at:

Painted Hills

This page is maintained by the PHGS
 Last Update January 25, 2004

© 2002 by The Painted Hills Genealogy Society
Main | Email Us | Look-Ups | Members Family Pages
Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer

Website designed by Frankie Stonemetz
2002© Painted Hills Genealogy Society
All Rights Reserved