CATTARAUGUS COUNTY, NEW YORK
and Biographical Sketches of Some of its Prominent Men and Pioneers.
L.H. Everts, 1879, Edited by Franklin Ellis
CHAPTER ON THE TOWN OF South Valley
Transcribed from pages 468-475 by Cindi Clark
Portraits/Photos in this chapter: Gideon Caskey, John Fenton,
Sally (Woodward) Fenton, Residence of John & Sally Fenton
is the extreme southwestern town in the county, and when formed
from Randolph and Cold Spring, April 2, 1847, embraced all of township
1, in the eighth and ninth ranges of the Holland Survey. The
following year, 1848, a part of township 2 was taken from Cold Spring
and annexed to South Valley. It now contains 37, 749 acres of
broken and mountainous land. Along the Allegany is a fine
valley, which lies almost wholly within the Indian Reservation. A small
valley extends along Quaker Run, on the east side of the river, and a
larger one along Saw-Mill Run, on the west side of the river.
From its location in the southern part of the town, and containing the
principal settlements, its name was bestowed upon the town.
Outside of these valleys there is a very little land susceptible of
close cultivation. On the hills the soil has a clayey nature;
on the lower lands it is a rich gravelly loam, and as productive as any
in the county.
The drainage is afforded by the Allegany River and its tributary
streams. The river enters the town near the northeast corner,
and flows through it in a southwesterly course, passing out of the town
west of the centre. It is wide, rapid, and, in low water,
shallow. Tunesassa, or Quaker Run, flowing from the southern
part of Red House northwesterly, and Wolf Run, farther south, having
thw same course, are the principal streams on the east side; and
Hotchkiss, Bone, Pierce, Saw-Mill, and State Line Runs, all having a
general southeasterly course, flow from the west side. These
streams were named from parties living on them, or from other
circumstances, Saw-Mill Run from its having an Indian saw-mill about
1801. Nearly all afford good water-power, which has been well
The Society of Friends at
Philadelphia instituted the first settlement of the town, which was
also the first settlement of the county. In 1798 they
established a mission on the Indian Reservation, in charge of Joel
Swayne, Halliday Jackson, and Henry Simmons, of Chester Co.,
Pa. They began their operations by giving the natives
practical instructions in agriculture and the arts of civilized
life. The Indians could not understand the broad charity
which actuated the Friends, and believed that if they permitted them to
build houses and make other improvements on the Reservation, the
Friends would some day claim the lands as their own. Jealous
of these interests, which had but recently been bestowed upon them, the
Indians were loth to accept the friendly offices of the missionaries,
and refused to give them that co-operation which was necessary to
insure the success of the Christianizing project. The
managers therefore determined to secure lands outside of the
Reservation on which to carry out their plans.
In 1803 they purchased a lot of land containing 692 acres, on the
stream called in the Indian Tunesassa, just outside the Reservation, on
the east side of the Allegany. Here their
representativesJoel Swayne, Jacob Taylor, John Pennock, and Jonathan
Thomasbuilt a grist-mill and a saw-mill in 1804, though they were not
completed till spring, 1805. An orchard was also set out, and
many of the trees then planted yet remain, some measuring thirty-two
inches in diameter. They belong to the Pennock
variety. This farm was the only land in town, in 1818, that
did not belong to the Holland Company, and for years after was the only
improved land. At present, it contains about 470 acres, 100
of which are under cultivation. Many of the fences are built
of sawed hemlock rails, and all the improvements present an attractive
appearance. The farm-house is large and homelike, and the
barns and other outbuildings are well appointed and
comfortable. The mills near by are still owned by the
society, but are operated by parties who lease them. The farm
and the school, elsewhere noted, are carried on by the Friends, who
appoint a manager for this purpose. Since 1873, the
superintendent has been A. P. Dewees.
In 1821 land was owned in town by Alexander Van Horn, George W. Fenton,
Joseph Russell, Reuben Owens, Matthias Bone, and Wm. Sprague.
In 1832, Roswell Fenton had 4 acres of improved land on lot 1 and
buildings valued at $170; Ira Green, 2 acres on lot 12 and buildings
worth $150; Stephen Hadley, 5 acres on lot 5; Benjamin Marsh, 4 acres
on lot 15; Smith Ott had buildings on lot 21, valued at $50; Samuel
Ross, 6 ares on lot 32; William Springer owned land on lots 14 and 15;
Merritt Hotchkiss had 3 acres improved on lot 15; and on the same lot
Ephraim Morrison had buildings valued at $30. The foregoing
were in the ninth range. On the east side of the river the
improvements were still more meagre. On lot 24 John Crooks,
from Pennsylvania, was one of the earliest settlers. He lived
there until his death a few years ago, and on the same lot was Jonas
Genung, also deceased. Their families still occupy the
In 1831, Elzi Flagg, a native of Messina, N. Y., made a camp on Wolf
Creek for the purpose of engaging in shingle-making. He had a
neighbor, Charles Smith, also engaged in this business. In
1835, Flagg purchased a tract of land on Quaker Run, containing 626
acres, on which he made a clearing and built a frame house in
1836. He added more land to his original purchase until he
owned 3000 acres. From this he sold off farms to settlers
above and below him in the valley, and there are now 103 persons living
within a mile of the homestead, which he still occupies.
Norman Brown settled on lot 10 in 1845, but in a few years sold to
Corydon Holmes, who is still a resident there.
Since 1848, David Flagg has lived on lot 3, and in 1849, Zabin Wright
settled on lot 10.
Leonard Barton came from Chautauqua County in 1838, to engage in
lumbering. He lived first on lot 4, but afterwards located on
lot 2, where he has since resided and reared a family of eight
children. One of these, Francis M., resides on the homestead;
James, the oldest son, lives at Rutledge, and a daughter is married to
Gideon Caskey, who resides on the old Fenton place, on lot 14, range
9. John Fenton settled there in 1840, and engaged actively in
the manufacture of lumber, becoming, before his death, Sept. 10, 1869,
one of the wealthiest men in the county.
John J. Stryker, a native of New Jersey, settled on lot 21,
in 1835, making there many improvements. He died about 1870,
but his son, Jasper B., now occupies the homestead; and John
M., another son, lives in the same neighborhood.
On the lot first occupied by Stephen Hadley, Warren H. Reeves settled
in 1837. Here his son, Warren L., is at present a resident.
David Moore became a settler of the town about 1835, and F. K. Moore
about 1840. The latter lived on lot 6, where his son, L. L.
Moore, now resides. Other members of the Moore family settled
early in the same locality.
Benjamin Mason was an early settler on lot 37, and David Tucker on lot
45. On State Line Run a man named Grover made the first
settlement. At Onoville, Ephraim Morrison, E. P. Haley, James
Aikin, Smith Ott, and Wm. Webber were early settlers.
Richard L. Stone, from Saratoga County, settled in 1848, and has since
resided in this locality; and Frederick Aldrich, since 1857, has been a
citizen of South Valley. In 1838, he settled in Cold Spring.
Several of the Indians living in town have been noted for their
enterprise. John Pierce was not only a good farmer, but he
early built one of the finest houses in the southwestern part of the
county. It was a large two-story frame, finished in the
finest style of the carpenters art of that period. Even now
its commanding location and stateliness, in a condition of semi-decay,
Opposite Wolf Run is an Indian hamlet, called Old Town, where are
also some old Indian houses, and other of pleasing modern
construction. These is where the Quaker missionaries made
their first settlement, in 1798.
The appended list shows who were the land-holders and actual residents
John H. Aiken
Amos B. Chapman
Warren H. Reeves
Wm. J. Reeves
John M. Strickler
Marinus Van Vlock
Napoleon R. Wilcox
John D. Woodward
The population in 1860 was 718, and in 1875, 872.
first annual meeting of the town was opened by Warren H. Reeves,
who had been designated by the act forming South Valley for this
purpose May 4, 1847. Arad Rich and John F. Fenton acted as
officers elected were as follows: Supervisor, John
Crooks; Town Clerk, Fred K. Moore; Justices, Arad Rich, John Covell,
Warren H. Reeves, Chester Barton; Assessors, Patrick Linn, Samuel
Wilder, Arad Rich; Collector, John D. Woodward; Constables, John D.
Woodward, William D. Johnson, Asher Barton; Superintendent of Schools,
Chauncey Carrier; Commissioners of Highways, John F. Fenton, John J.
Stryker, Leonard Barton; Overseers of the Poor, Warren H. Reeves,
Albert M. Thorton; Inspectors of Elections, Amos B. Chapman, James
Moon, John Covell.
1847 the following have been the
Fred K. Moore
. Stephen P.
E. D. Fenton
Clark R. White
Warren L. Reeves
. Stephen P.
S. P. Wilcox
. John F.
Stephen P. Wilcox
Warren L. Reeves
George W. Reeves
. Austin J.
A. G. Barton
W. L. Reeves
Napoleon R. Wilcox
. E. C.
. Wm. H.
Warren L. Reeves
. Warren L.
R. S. Stone
OF THE PEACE.
L. L. Moore
S. M. Bliss
William H. Aldrich
oldest road is that on the Indian Reservation, along the right bank
of the Allegany. It was built and for many years kept in
repair by appropriations from the State, and is now kept in a passable
condition by the town. Other roads were located as the
settlements demanded them. BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.
1848 twelve road districts were formed with the following
overseers: No. 1, James Aikin; 2, Samuel Phillips; 3, Patrick
McCooye; 4, Rufus C. Brainard; 5, Jones Genung; 6, Norman Brown; 7,
Merrill Barton; 8, Amos B. Chapman; 9, Joseph Hall; 10, Abel Wilcox;
11, Robert Creeks; 12, D. Covell.
1878 there were twenty-six road districts in town.
the Allegany River was forded and crossed by ferry.
The latter means is yet employed at Onoville. The ferry which
was formerly operated at the Quaker Mill settlement had been provided
by the Friends and given to the Indians to work for the tolls arising
therefrom. At this point, in 1867, was erected a fine bridge
nearly 600 feet long. Its cost was defrayed by a tax for
forty cents an acre on the lands lying east of the river. The
State also appropriated $1000, and appointed Leonard Barton as a
commissioner to erect the bridge. The approaches having been
injured by a flood, the State made an additional appropriation of $1500
in 1874 to repair it, and it is now a very substantial
structure. At low stages the river may readily be forded at a
number of points in the town. Communication with outside
points was formerly afforded by barges on the river, or the ruder forms
of rafts and canoes. Since 1860 railway communication may be
had at Steamburg, six miles distant from the centre of the town.
South Valley have always constituted the principal features of its
business, and have given occupation to nearly all its
inhabitants. Only since the forest have been denuded of their
finest trees has attention been directed to other industries.
The lumber was drawn to the river and formed into rafts, which were
floated to Pittsburgh or points still lower on the Ohio.
On the east side of the river, on the lot of land purchased by the
Friends, a grist-mill was put in operation early in 1805, to grind corn
for the Indians. On this stream, Quaker Run, they had
previously built a saw-mill. Both mills have been kept up
till the present day, and occupy the original sites. The
grain mill is at present provided with one run of stones for grinding
corn and feed. Both did work for the whites on the same terms
as other mills, and were a great convenience to the early settlers of
the southwestern part of the county. A small tannery was also
here operated soon after the mills were built, but was discontinued
Run has furnished the power for a number of mills.
On lot 12, Ira Green had a saw-mill, which was allowed to go down, but
near by John M. Stryker is now operating saw- and shingle-mills.
1830, Smith Ott put up a saw-mill on lot 21, which became the
property of the Stryker family in 1835. Their grist-mill in
this locality was built in 1857, and is the only complete mill in
town. It is supplied with three run of stones, and has a good
lot 30, Patrick Quinn put up a saw-mill in 1846; David Walsh at
present operates a mill on this site.
& Newman got in operation a saw-mill on lot 45 about
1850, which is now owned by David Tucker.
lot 46, Stephen G. Wilcox and James Aikin erected a mill in 1850,
and while raising the frame, John Townsend, the carpenter, was
accidentally killed. The power is at present unemployed.
& Murphy put up a mill on lot 28, which became the
property of A. & A. Crowley, and is now owned by James
Murphy. On the same lot Richard Orr built a mill,
which Baker & Whitney converted into a steam mill, which is now
operated by J. Brannan. Farther up, on lot 43, Fenton, Frew
& Scowden had a good steam mill which has been removed; and on
lot 51 was Wymans mill, from which the machinery has also been taken
away. In this locality shingle-mills have been operated by W.
Wyman, Willard Littlefield, and Mark Murphy.
Bone Run, on lot 1, Roswell Fenton put up a water power saw-mill,
about 1835, which was rebuilt by A. M. Thornton, and was last operated
by Wheeler & Aldrich.
the same stream, on lot 6, Fred. K. Moore put up a mill about 1845,
which was operated by the Moore family many years, but has been
next site above, on lot 14, was first improved by John Fenton about
1846, and here were operated saw- and shingle-mills of large
capacity. The Fenton family operated these mills until 1873,
since which Gideon Caskey has here carried on the lumber business,
running his lumber-mill by steam, and using the water-power to operated
a stave-factory. Both are supplied with good machinery and
have a large capacity.
lot 32, John Fenton put up a mill in 1837, which has been
abandoned. It was one of the first in the town.
lot 41, Isaac L. Smith had a steam mill, which has been removed;
and, on lot 15, on a branch of Bone Run, H. A. Phillips had a saw-mill,
which has been supplied with shingle machinery, and is operated by A.
Colburn. Another shingle-mill in this locality was operated
by the Fenton Mill Co.
Pierces Run, on lot 9, Barzilla Kent & Co., and other had
mills, which have been abandoned.
Hotchkiss Run, Hotchkiss & Foster put up a mill, on lot 24,
which Varnum Godfrey and others owned, but which has been abandoned;
also, a mill on lot 34, which had been put up by Ira Hotchkiss; and
another on lot 46, built by John D. Wheat, in 1850, has also gone to
the State line, on the Allegany, Guy C. Irvine had in operation a
mill from 1841 to 1855. It is said that Irvine built the dam
in five days and prided himself much on the accomplishment of the feat,
which, considering the work done, was truly remarkable. The
mill was supplied with a gang of fourteen saws and three shingle saws,
capacitating it to cut an immense quantity of lumber per year.
the east side of the Allegany, Elzi Flagg put up the first saw-mill
above the Quaker mill, on the same stream, in 1838. It stood
on lot 10, near Mr. Flaggs residence, and had a capacity of 5000 feet
per day. In 1845, he erected another mill below the same dam,
and operated both about twelve years.
lot 9, Leonard Barton put up a saw-mill in 1841, which was operated
many years. The site is not unimproved.
1870, a steam mill was put up above this point, and is at present
operated by J. Beemer.
1857, Elzi Flagg erected a steam mill on lot 4; and on the same lot,
Flagg had several shingle-mills. In this locality Robert Kane
is now operating a steam mill, put up in 1873. On lots 11 and
25, Charles Fuller and Abbott & Co. had steam saw-mills after
1858, which were operated a number of years, then removed.
Wolf Run, Gideon Marsh and Uriah Wellman put up a mill about 1845,
and afterwards put up a shingle-mill near the same point.
Here is at present a good steam mill operated by Bemis &
Ostrander. On the same stream were formerly operated other
saw- and shingle-mills, which were discontinued years ago.
These mills annually cut millions of feet of lumber, and gave many
localities a busy appearance.
only hamlet in the town, was the centre of the lumber trade, and a
depot for supplies for men working in camps. It was formerly
locally known as Jugville, because, it is said, every lumberman
carried from here a jug of ardent spirits when he went into the woods
in the fall. It received the present name about the time the
post-office was established, which it was proposed to call by the name
of the town. But there being another South Valley in the
State, it became necessary to select some other name. A
meeting for this purpose was held, but the citizens could not harmonize
upon a suitable term. One after another was declined,
generally with the remark Oh, no, that will not do. The wag
of the hamlet, William Webber, heard the various names in silence, and
then suggested, Well, call it Oh, no, ville, then,
and be done with it. The quaintness of the idea pleased
people, and the term was adopted with a modified
hamlet is situated half a mile from the west bank of the Allegany
River, in the southern part of the town, in what is properly the South
Valley. It contains a Catholic church, several stores,
post-offie, shops, and about 20 dwellings.
time after 1840, John Covers opened the first store at Onoville,
in a building which is yet used for mercantile purposes. In
this house have traded Warren H. and Warren L. Reeves, Frederick
Aldrich, David tucker, William Worth, and since 1877, Fred. N.
Aldrich. Near by is another business stand, where, since
1870, R. L. Stone has been in trade. On the Reservation
Daniel Zibble has a grocery store.
post-office was established about 1859, and had E. D. Fenton as the
first postmaster. The office has since been held by Wm. H.
Aldrich, Stephen Wilcox, David Tucker, and R. L. Stone. Mail
is carried from Steamburg to Warren, Pa., tri-weekly each way.
Morrison was an early innkeeper at Onoville, having a
public-house soon after 1830. James Aikin built a house for
tavern purposes in 1848, and kept it a few years. Other
landlords here have been Stephen P. Wilcox, N. R. Wilcox, Fred.
Aldrich, Joseph McCollister, Joseph Hall, Henry Morrison, and R. L.
the northern part of the town a tavern was kept, before 1830, by a
man named Bovee. In 1832, William Earle was the
keeper. Other landlords have been Daniel D. Grout, Barzilla
Kent, Warren H. Reeves, John Morrison, Marcus Johnson, and the present,
Mrs. E. Johnson.
SCHOOLS AND RELIGIOUS SOCIETIES
first school district was formed in 1829, and embraced all of the
township 1 in range 9. In 1878 there were seven districts,
each containing a school building, the aggregate value of which was
only $965. The number of children of school age was 307, and
the average attendance, 135. Eight teachers were employed to
teach 196 weeks of school, and received as wages $1334.94.
The number of books in the several libraries was 354, and their value
was reported at $125.
Indians have several good school-houses, in which instruction is
imparted by white teachers. Some of the pupils make
early attempt to gather these Indians into a school was made by
Friend Joseph Elkinton, who came from Philadelphia for this purpose in
1816. A log house was erected below the mouth of Cold Spring
Creek, but was unsupplied with seats. To construct these he
hunted up boards, and began his school under many other equally
discouraging circumstances. Many were opposed to educating
the Indian youth, but others of the Senecas favored
the project, and not only sent their children, but sometimes came
themselves and encouraged the pupils by a friendly talk.
Old Town another school was taught by the Friends about 1830, and
the years following. After this a frame school-house was
built near the present bridge, in which instruction was given several
years, when it was moved to the farm-house and mills, and the present.
FRIENDSBOARDING-SCHOOL FOR INDIAN CHILDREN
about 1848. This system of training the Indian
youth has proved more satisfactory than a day-school, as the influence
which is constantly exercised over them thends to draw them more fully
from their old customs to the manners of the whites.
school-house and boarding-hall has accommodations for 30 pupils;
and this quota is generally maintained in the proportion of 25 girls to
5 boys, whose ages range from 7 to 16 years. The school year
consists of 2 terms of 22 weeks each, during which time the pupils are
expected to remain in school, and are taught, boarded, and provided
with books at the expense of the society. No conditions of
admission are required except an early attendance and a willingness to
conform to the rules of the school. Pupils are expected to
come provided with good plain clothing, but the want of proper apparel
does not prove a barrier to admission, when there is a desire to become
is given in the school-room in the rudimentary branches,
some classes having thoroughly mastered Practical Arithmetic.
All are capable of learning to write, and many become good
penmen. The pupils go to and from the school-room in order;
and system and precision of habit is studiously inculcated.
Generally, these Indian children are teachable, although not so quick
to comprehend as the whites. They are submissive and usually
quite tractable, and appear to have a proper regard for their
benefactors. The present teacher is Miss Louisa Smith, of
Keokuk, Iowa, who has been engaged here the past eight years.
The superintendent is Aarom P. Dewees, who has been charged with the
interests of the society here since 1873; and it is largely through his
energy that the school has attained its present excellent
standard. Mrs. Aaron P. Dewees is the matron of the school,
and, with the aid of several assistants, gives instruction in cookery
and household work; and as far as practicable manual labor is combined
with school duties. Half a day each week is devoted to
instruction in plain sewing and dress-making. The boys assist
on the farm and in the garden, and lessons of industry are taught on
every hand. Every pupil must keep himself scrupulously clean,
and required to visit the bath-room regularly.
instruction is imparted in meetings held according to the
custom of the Friends, on the first and fifth days of the week; and on
the afternoon of the first day instruction is especially given in the
Scriptures. All the pupils are assembled in the evening
before retiring, and listen to the reading of the Bible or some
religious book, and the duties of each day are begun with household
worship. In short, the way of conducting a Christian home is
unfolded to them, and everything is made as commendable and attractive
as possible by the teachers, to wean these simple children from their
semi-civilized habits and customs.
effects of the training received here are apparent in the homes of
those who were attendants, there being an increased amount of neatness
and order, and an ambition to reach after the more excellent things of
life. This undoubtedly is the proper way to civilize and
evangelize the Indians of our county, -- to bend the twig as we would
have the tree incline,-- and much credit is due to the Friends who have
so unselfishly maintained their mission here three-quarters of a
century. Each pupil is supported at the expense to the
Society of nearly one hundred dollars per year.
Presbyterian mission had an extensive range among the Indians on
the Reservation, and at Old Town a fine house of worship was
erected. The pioneer missionary, the Rev. William Hall, lived
in the town many years, and did good service in the cause of
Christianity and civilization. In later years this work has
not been so actively prosecuted.
meetings have been held in various localities, and in
District No. 2 regular services are at present maintained,
the preaching being supplied by ministers who also serve the societies
at Corydon and Kinzua, Pa. There is a class of 20 members
under the leadership of Jasper B. Stryker.
preaching is also held in the school-houses on Quaker and
Wolf Runs, by the Methodist and other denominations.
MARYS CHURCH (ROMAN CATHOLIC)
the only organized body in town. Catholic meetings were
first held in the school-house, at Onoville, by Franciscan brethren
from Allegany, and were attended with so much interest that a church
was built in 1875. It is an attractive frame 25 by 40 feet,
with a front tower 65 feet high. The cost was about $1200,
and the house was formally dedicated in 1877. At this time
Father J. J. Baxter was the minister, but as present the officiating
priest is the Rev. R. R. Coyle, of the Jamestown parish.
Twenty-five families belong to the church, which also owns a neat
burial ground on lot 28. This is the only regular cemetery in
town. Other interments are made on private grounds, or in
cemeteries at Corydon and Randolph.
gentleman is the oldest son in a family of three sons and two
daughters of James and Rebecca (Chrisman) Caskey. He was born
in Worcester, Wayne Co., O., Nov. 29, 1833. His parents were
natives of Westmoreland Co., Pa. Gideon remained at home with
his parents until he was eleven years old, when he commenced working in
a saw-mill in Medina County, in his native State. This
business he has followed, more or less, ever since, being connected
with others in the proprietorship of several large timber tracts in
this county, and in the State of Pennsylvania. His means of
procuring an education were rather limited, his father being in poor
circumstances, and unable to purchase for him the needful books, in
lieu of which his father learned him his alphabet from a wooden paddle!
4, 1857, he removed to the town of South Valley, Cattaraugus Co.,
where he commenced his career with but ten shillings in his
pocket. Nothing daunted by the low state of his exchequer, he
commenced the battle of life bravely, and resolved to make himself a
home and a competence. He commenced lumbering. He
built a mill on Quaker Run, for Charles Fuller, and continued in his
service for a year, and for various other parties until 1864, when he
purchased his first lot of lumber in Pennsylvania, running in debt for
the same. This, however, proved a very successful
venture. He afterwards took a contract from messrs. Scowden,
Frew & Fenton, of Frewsburg, N. Y., for the milling of three
million feet of lumber. In 1870 he removed West, and
purchased a farm of one hundred and twenty acres, in Fairfield, Bureau
Co., Ill., where he remained one year, when, receiving an offer from M.
L. Fenton & Co., of Jamestown, N. Y., to mill their lumber in
South Valley, he returned thither; he contracted with the parties named
for the milling of twenty-four million feet of lumber. He
purchased his present residence in 1873, it being the John Fenton
homestead, and located o the original tract of four hundred and
eighty-five acres. He has on his farm at present, besides a
stave-mill, a circular board- and lath-mill, employing fourteen men.
Caskey was married, June 30, 1858, to Elizabeth D., eldest daughter
of Leonard and Evelina (Fargo) Barton, of Carroll, Chautauqua Co.,
N.Y., of which place she was a native, being born Jan. 4,
1840. Her parents emigrated to South Valley in the year
1841. Her father and mother are natives of Wyoming Co., N.Y.,
and Huntington, Vt., respectively. The family of Mr. and Mrs.
Caskey numbers six children, of whom three (two sons and a daughter)
died in early childhood, viz., Leonard M., born Feb. 15, 1859,
deceased; James Bertrand, Aug. 2, 1860, deceased; Jennie Maria, Jan.
18, 1862, deceased; Roland Ernest, born Jan. 21, 1864; Bertha Evelina,
born Nov. 29, 1870; and Berenice Mabel, Jan. 3, 1873.
Caskey is a member of the Democratic party. He was
elected supervisor of the town of South Valley in 1869, again elected
after his return from Illinois, in 1873, and re-elected each successive
year, being the present incumbent of the office.
JOHN F. FENTON
Fourth son of George W. and Elsie (Owen) Fenton,
was born in Carroll, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., Oct. 30, 1816.
His brothers were Roswell O. (deceased), George W., Jr., William H. H.,
and Hon. Reuben E. Fenton.
He passed his early life on the farm where he was
born, attending the district school, where he obtained a fair
education, which in after-years he put to good practical use.
He was married Aug. 11, 1836, to Sally M.
Woodward, by whom he had eight children: Minerva M., who
first married marcellus Phillips and after his decease, H. O. Burt;
George W., who died young; Emma, who married Melvin A. Crowley (now
deceased); Loderna (deceased), who married Alvin Scudder; Louise, who
married Charles C. Rich; George W., who married Louraine A. Dockstader;
Mary, unmarried; Erie W., who married Addie M. Crowley.
In early life, before he arrived at majority, he
commenced to purchase and ran lumber to market, investing the proceeds
in timber lands in Cattaraugus Co., N. Y., near the Allegany River,
where he soon removed, and continued to purchase lands, manufacture
lumber, and run to market, till, at the time of his death, he owned
about five thousand acres of land, for which he had been offered two
hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
He held the office of supervisor for four years;
he also held the office of assessor and of highway commissioner in his
town. In politics he was a Republican, in religion a
Protestant. In all business transactions he was upright and
obliging, and by perseverance and industry his every effort was crowned
Mr. Fenton died Sept. 10, 1869. Sally
M., his wife, died Jan. 22, 1874.
JOHN F. FENTON
(WOODWARD) FENTON, WIFE OF JOHN
OF JOHN AND SALLY FENTON of SOUTH VALLEY, NY
anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or
if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills
Genealogy Society, please contact us at:
This page is maintained by the PHGS
Last Update February 2, 2020