History of the Town of Salamanca

   Salamanca, including the present town of Red House, was formed from Little Valley on the 19th of November, 1854,with the name of Bucktooth, and embraced all of townships 1 and 2 and about one-fourth of township 3 in the seventh range of the Holland Land company's survey. The name changed in 1862 to Salamanca in honor of Senor Salamanca, a Spanish banker and a large owner of stock in the Atlantic & Great Western railroad, who had visited the town, a short time before. The territory remained with its boundaries unchanged until the town of Red House was taken off in 1868, from the southern part, which reduced the area of Salamanca to 11,827 acres, leaving it the smallest town in the county.It is an interior township situated south of the center of the county, and is bounded on the north by Little Valley, on the east by Great Valley, on the south by Red House, and on the west by Cold Spring and Napoli. The surface is very hilly except the valley of the Allegheny river and the valleys of its tributaries. The principal stream is the Allegheny, which enters the town about midway on the east line and flows nearly west about four miles, when it turns south and flows into Red House. Its principal affluents in this town are Newton run, Little Valley creek, and Bucktooth and Saw-Mill runs. When lumbering was a leading business these streams afforded good water-power.
   Since the timber has been exhausted their mill-sites have been abandoned. The soil in the valleys is very fertile, while the hills, where not too rough for cultivation, produce-paying crops of grass, oats patatoes, and apples. Owing to the fact that most of the land in town fit for profitable tillage is embraced in the Indian reservation Salamanca was not early settled by white men. A few pioneers located on Little Valley creek. John Parr came about 1830. John Boutell was one of the earliest; and Leicester J. Worth came in 1834. James Rosenberry is credited as the first settler and is said to have come in 1815 and located on lot 9, where he made slight improvements and moved farther up the valley. In 1837 he settled in Red House, the second settler in that town, where he cleared a farm, and where he died. He was born in Butler county, Pa., November 21, 1797. James Green was an early settler, but did not remain long in the town. John L. Boardman came in 1836 and settled on the reservation where the village of West Salamanca has since been built. He was one of the party who navigated the Allegheny river from Pittsburg to Olean Point in a flat-bottom stern-wheel steamer. Mr. Boardman resided here until 1870, when he removed to Randolph, where he died in 1874.
   In this locality there were also, as early settlers in the town's history,Adam Johson, R.C. Brainard, and Absalom Smith: in the northern part of the town the Wright families and Thomas L.Newton: on Sawmill Run, George Hill: and on Bucktooth Run, George W Drake. The con-dition of the settlements can better be seen from the following list of resident land- owners in the year the town was formed.
Boutell, Charles 10 3 Lyon Elihu 10 3
Ballard, Stephen A. 34 3 Lyndsy, David 34 3
Cross, John C. 34 3 McKay, Hiram 17 3
Cross, William 47 3 Monfort, Peter S. 35 3
Curtis, Joseph 35 3 Newton, Thomas L. 66 3
Cranker, Jeremiahn 44 3 Parr, John 10 3
Crawford, W.P. 35 3 Shafer, Patrick 18 3
Clark, Hubbard 18 3 Wright Warren 25 3
Clark Henry 18 3 Wright, Josiah P. 9 3
Drake, George W. 25 3 Wheeler, George 10 3

Justices of the peace
Josiah P. Eright
Richard Wright
James Rosenberry Alphonso Ames W.H. Payne
G.W. Drake
George E. Noble H.H. Carrier
Luther Cram
Abner Miller

1856 John Boardman G.W. Drake
1857 John Boardman G.W .Drake
1858 John Boardman G.W. Drake
1859 E.P. Parks A.V. Fuller
1860 E.P. Parks A.V. Fuller
1861 David Harrower G.W.Drake
1862 Warren Wright John Nelson
1863 David Harrower John Nelson
1864 E.C.Topliff John Nelson
1865 E.C.Topliff John Nelson
1866 Hudson Ansley Hiram S. Thompson
1867 Jesse T. Fosdick Hiram S. Thompson
1868 Hudson Ansley Timothy O'Brien
1869 Hudson Ansley Timothy O'Brien
1870 Hudson Ansley Timothy O'Brien
1871 John Hill Timothy O' Brien
1872 John Hill Timothy O'Brien
1873 H.O.Wait L.H. Brainard
1874 H.O. Wait James H. Palmer
1875 H.O.Wait R. Hevenor
1876 L.H. Brainard Charles Jenks
1877 L.H. Brainard Jacob Butterfuss
1878 J.J. McDonnell Jacob Butterfuss
Town Clerks
1861 H.E.Fellows Wm. Franklin Samuel Boyer Luther Cram
1862 S. Boyer R.C.Brainard Nelson Frink .
1863 W.H. Payne A.A. Pixley A.B. Rice .
1864 Patrick Shafer . . .
1865 Willard E. Fellows David W. Kelley . .
1866 Joel P. Lines Wm.T. Clark . .
1867 S.D. Woodford Peter Frank . .
1868 A.A. Pixley . . .
1869 H. M.Seymour Samuel Duham . .
1870 Albert Hosley . . .
1871 Charles Gallagher W.B.Evans . .
   The first town-meeting was held at the house of John Boardman, on Tuesday, the 27th day of February, 1855, in pursuance of an act of the board of Supervisors of Cattaraugus County, Dividing the town of Little Valley and erecting the town of Bucktooth, passed Nov. 29, 1854

Back To Cattaraugus County Main Page

If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact us at:
Painted Hills

This page is maintained by the PHGS
Last Update February 2, 2020