"The History of Cattaraugus County, NY", published 1879 by Everts,
edited by Franklin Ellis
Chapter: Town of Otto
Transcribed by Claudia Patterson February
This is the third town from the west line of the county, upon the northern
border. The towns of Mansfield and New Albion form its southern boundary,
and East Otto joins it upon the east. On the north, against Erie County,
the boundary is defined by the waters of Cattaraugus Creek, flowing westward
to Lake Erie. The south branch of the same creek enters the town near the
southeast comer, and flowing thence towards the southwest, passes across
Otto and enters New Albion, but soon returns by a sharp bend to the northward,
and flows in that general direction, upon the boundary between Otto and
Persia, to its junction with the main Cattaraugus.
These streams enclose the town as a peninsula, and by them and their
small tributaries it is watered abundantly.
At their confluence, in the extreme northwestern comer of Otto, is
a high and rugged promontory, the most elevated land in the town. For several
miles above this point the banks of both streams continue high and precipitous,
rising in some places to the height of 300 feet. These rugged bluffs along
the main creek have received the local designation of "the breakers" and
the narrow gorge through which the stream flows (contracted at one point
to a width of about 350 feet) is usually known as "the 'narrows." Farther
back from the streams these highlands subside into undulations and hills
of moderate height. Towards the northeast part of the town" the breakers"
terminate, and the banks of the Cattaraugus spread out into a rich bottom
land covering about 300 acres in Otto, extending thence into the adjoining
town, and known as " the Valley of Zoar."
The locality known as the Valley of Zoar, containing from 800 to 1000
acres of bottom lands, is situated along both sides of Cattaraugus Creek,
and in the southwest part of the town of Collins, the northeast part of
the town of
Otto, and the northwest corner of East Otto. Attracted by its excellence
and great fertility, settlers as early as 1811, following up Indian trails,
stopped on these rich alluvial lands and located.
First among these were Joseph Adams and his son B1inn, from Madison
County, who located on lot No. 20, township 6, range 7, in this town, where
Mrs. George Kelly now resides. He lived there four or five years and moved
to Cincinnati. Settlers by the names of Hyde and Austin came in about the
same time and located near them j they, too, remained a few years and moved
West. In the spring of 1812, Peter Pratt, with his wife and ten children,
from Clarence, Erie Co., settled in the Valley of Zoar, on the north side
of the creek, in the town of Collins. His sons afterward were identified
with the early settlement of East Otto. Joseph Bartlett in 1813 emigrated
from Canada with his wife and children to this town, and located on lot
24, township 6, range 7, in the valley where Alexander Ingraham now resides,
and built a log house, where he lived until between the years 1819 and
1823. He then bought a farm on the north side of the creek, where he moved,
and his children grew up to manhood and womanhood, married, and moved away.
A few years after settling here he felt impelled to preach the gospel;
and, encouraged by Christian friends, he decided to enter the ministry
of the Christian denomination. In accordance with this decision, willingness
on the part of those in authority in that church, an ordination meeting
was held at his house, three ministers of that denomination being present.
After examination he was accepted, ordained, and for many years preached
in all parts of the country round about,-at the school-house on the bluff
at Collins, at Davis Benedict's house in North Otto, and in many other
places,-receiving com for his compensation. In those days subscriptions
were made by persons agreeing to pay a certain number of bushels of corn.
No church of that denomination was ever organized in the town, but the
Rev. Joseph Bartlett had the honor of being the first standard-bearer of
religious truth in the early days of Otto. He afterwards removed to the
West, where he died at an advanced age.
Phineas Orr, a. single man, came in from New Hampshire in the spring
of 1813, located on lot 1, township G, range 8, where Mrs. Eddy now lives,
and built a log house; and in the spring following moved across the creek
and settled, afterwards marrying Hope, the daughter of Peter Pratt. They
lived there many years, and are both buried in the cemetery at East Otto.
He was a general in the State militia.
Samuel Hill, a native of New Hampshire, emigrated to Canada East, and
from there to this town, in the Valley of Zoar, coming down the creek in
a canoe with his family, consisting of his wife and three sons, Jehiel,
Asahel, Joseph, and two daughters. The number of families in the settlement
at this time, including Mr. Hills, was four. They arrived April 12, 1814,
and moved into the log house built by Mr. Orr, buying one hundred acres
where Widow Bruce now lives. .
The next year, 1815, Mr. Hill bought a farm on the north side of the
creek, in the town of CoIlins, and built a log tavern. Cattaraugus Creek
now runs over the spot where it stood, the bank where it stood having been
washed away by the current. The floor of the tavern was of black walnut,
between 'two and three feet wide, rived, and one 'side faced with a broad-axe.
Potatoes, johnny-cake, venison, and bears' meat were the principal food.
The next day after opening the tavern nine land-lookers
stopped there, and stayed all night, sleeping on the floor. For thirty
years Mr. Hill, as "mine host," offered entertainment to man and beast.
Jehiel Hill, the oldest son, was a man of noble and commanding presence,
of considerable political influence in the ranks of the Whig party in Erie
County; was captain of the State militia i promoted to colonel of the 19th
Regiment, and then to general. He was at one time postmaster. In 1824 his
name appears on the assessment-roil of Otto as owning land on lot 16, township
5, range 8. Asahel Hill also is recorded as on lot 1, township 6, range
8. He was adjutant of the 19th Regiment, and justice of the peace in 1827.
Joseph, the younger brother, now living in the north part of the town,
was fifer in one of the companies.
Stephen Williams, from Danby, Rutland Co., Vt., emigrated to Concord,
Erie Co., in 1816, with his wife and fourteen children, and settled in
Zoar, on the north side of the creek. About this time David, his eldest
son, settled on this side of the creek, in what is now East Otto, on lot
18, township 6, range 7. In 1824, the name of Stephen Williams appears
on the assessment-roll of this town and East Otto as owning land on lots
18, 10, and 20, township 6, range 7. He bought a large tract, since known
as the " Williams Tract," including the land where Adams, Hyde, and Austin,
the earliest settlers, located. He was a thrifty farmer, interested in
the raising of cattle, often wintering from fifty to one hundred head,
and was a man of considerable wealth.
Isaac, Benjamin, and Stephen Ballard, three brothels, left Vermont
on foot, in 1818, each with a knapsack on his back with provisions for
their' journey. After reaching this town in the spring, Benjamin took a
contract of chopping 5 acres of land at $5 per acre, of Asahel Nye, who
lived on lot 54, township 6, range 7, now in the town of Ashford. Stephen
hired out to John Williams, of Concord, for the haying season. Isaac remained
with Benjamin, and after Stephen finished the haying, he assisted his brothers.
The contact was finished about the 1st of September, when they went to
Collins and took another contract, which they finished about the last of
November. About the 1st of December they came into this town, when the
brothers took up about 360 acres on lot 4, township 5, range 8. They built
a shanty of logs, about 8 feet high on one side, and 6 feet on the other,
and roofed it with elm-bark, smooth side down, held down by poles withed
fast to the rafters. Isaac lived with Benjamin as a bachelor all his days,
and died in 1868. Benjamin married the daughter of Nathaniel Ballard, Oct.
5, 1824. He is still living, and resides in the village of Waverly. His
son, George W. Ballard, lives on the old homestead. Stephen lived in town
until 185O, when he moved to Erie County, and from there to Wisconsin.
Ira Waterman came from Cortland County, and located on lot 1, township
6, range 8, before 1819. He was an assessor, commissioner of schools, and
commissioner of highways in 1823. He afterwards moved to Gowanda. He was
a brother of Simeon Waterman, who lived west of Waverly in 1824, and had
there an ashery.
Ephmim Brown, also from Cortland County, was here in the fall of 1818,
before the Ballard brothers, and settled on lot 5, township 5, range 8,
with his wife and three children, built a log house, and to them was born,
in 1819, a daughter Lavina, the first white child in town. The first town-meeting
was held at his house, also the first wedding, being that of Bryant Benson
and Mrs.. Ballard, the mother of the Ballard brothers. The ceremony was
performed by Squire Abel M. Butler.
In 1816, a contract was issued by the Holland Land Company to Barnard
and Chester Cook. William Cook and Mason Hicks located in Zoar early in
1819, Cook locating on lot 21, township 6, range 7, where William Ingraham
resides, and Hicks on lot 23. John Pratt, a son of Peter Pratt, married
Lavina, daughter of William Cook, Oct. 5, 1823. In 1824, William Cook owned
land on lot 21, township 6, range 7, Esek Cook on the same lot, and Silas
Cook on lot 20, and Mason Hicks on lot 5, township 6, range 7, in East
Adam Ballard, from Otsego County, settled in the town in 1819, taking
up land on lot 5, township 5, range 8, where his Grandson, Truman Ballard,
Isaac Skinner settled on lots 28 and 29, in the winter of 1819-20,
having contracted for the land in 1816, at what was afterwards known as
Skinner Hollow, on the bottom lands at the head of the" breakers" on the
south branch of Cattaraugus Creek. D. P. Skinner was postmaster at this
place as early as 1825, and probably the first in the town. A saw-mill
was erected at this place, on the creek, about 1823.
Joseph. Allen, brother of Judge Allen, of Gowanda, came into the town
in 1819, the year after the road was opened by the Holland Land Company
from Ellicottville to Hidi. He followed an Indian trail up the creek to
lot 58, township 5, range 7, now owned by his nephew, C. B. Allen. Mrs.
Joseph Allen was the first person who died in the town.
He was supervisor in 1830, and a justice of the peace. Mrs. Sykes,
of Mansfield, is his daughter; His death occurred Dec. 12, 1867, at eighty-six
yeas of age. Mrs. Allen (2d) died July 30, 1873, at eighty-seven years.
Benjamin Austin, a soldier of the war of 1812, and a native of Hartford,
Washington Co.; in the fall of 1820 emigrated with his wife and seven boys
to this town, and located 150 acres on lot 7, township 5, range 8, coming
tl1rough Attica, and Aurora to Springville, and through the Valley of Zoar
to this place. Edward W. Austin, one of his sons, taught 8chool in a log
house on lot 14, on a farm he had taken up. Jacob Austin, a son, lives
on the old homestead.
Joseph and Wadsworth Foster, from Hartford, Washington Co., came to
Collins in the spring of 1817, and remained that season. In the spring
of the next year they came over to this town and located on lots 6 and
7, township 5, range 8, where Albert Foster now lives. They cleared off
a piece of land and put in some wheat; built a shanty of poles, making
the 1I.00r and roof of basswood bark; that of the 1I.00r being held fiat
by pins and the roof
by poles. The sun curled the bark on the roof, so that in times of
rain it afforded but little protection. They recovered the roof with elm-bark,
which made the shelter much better. In the fall, while working in the clearing,
their shanty accidentally caught fire, and the provision, clothing, and
what little furniture they had, were totally destroyed. They returned to
Collins in the winter, where Joseph taug11t school not far from where Edward
Foster now lives.
In 1819 they came to their lot, and built
a log house north of Albert Foster's present residence. Joseph married
Hester Wheeler, a sister of Mrs. Benjamin Austin, who lived near them,
Abel M. Butler performing the marriage rite. Joseph Foster was a constituent
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the north part of the town.
He was with Samuel Tuthill, the first inspector of common schools and justice
of the peace. His death occurred in December 1874, aged seventy-five years.
Wadsworth Foster settled near his brother, and is still living, and
resides with his son, Almon Foster, on lot 2, township 5, range 8.
John Beverly, with his wife and children, came from Truxton, Cortland
Co., in the year 1820, and located 150 acres on lot 23, township 5, range
8, having contracted for land of the Land Company in 1816. John, his son,
lives in Waverly; James, another son, lives on lot 16, in the north part
of the town. Austin Pratt, who had located on lot 45, township 6, range
7, married Maria, daughter of John Beverly, Elder Joseph Bartlett officiating
in the services.
In 1824, John, David, and Thomas Beverly were located on lot 24, and
John and James C. Beverly owned lands on lot 3, township 5, range 8, and
David Beverly on lot 14, township 5, range 8.
In 1816 a contract was issued by the Holland Land Company to Abel M.
Butler. Afterwards Abel M. and Harvey Butler came from Oswego County in
1820, and located on lot 22, township 5, range 8 ; locating at the same
time 100 acres on lot 23, township 5, range 8, lot, for his brother-in-law,
Hugh McKinney, who came in the next year. Abel came with his wife and child,
built a log house, and moved in. Harvey lived with him. The latter, after
preparing a home, returned to Oswego County, and was married. Abel M. Butler
was the first supervisor of the town upon its erection in 1823 (re-elected
in 1824), and the first justice of the peace of the town, a position he
held for several years. In his later years he removed to Harmony, Chautauqua
Co., and died in December 1872, at the age of eighty-one years. His son
James lives in Waverly.
Luther Town came in from Madison County to
Erie, and to this town in 1821 with his wife and children. He settled 100
acres on lot 5, township 5, range 8, where Samuel Charlesworth lives. He
was one of the first assessors of the town. His son George lives in Little
Oliver Tripp located on lots 49 and 50, where F. Bernhoff
resides, on the farm of N. Loomis.
Davis Benedict, from Penfield, Monroe Co., came in the year 1822, and
settled on part of lot 13, township 5, range 8, where Charles Stebbins
now lives. Religions services were often held at his house, conducted by
the Rev. Joseph Bartlett. The first burial-place in town was upon his farm,
and is still in use.
C. B. Parkinson, of Springvil1e, in 1821 selected a mill site
on lot 1, township 5, range 8, on the north side of the south branch of
Cattaraugus Creek, near the old bridge, and built the first saw-mill (Jacob
Van Aernem and his sons, Abram and Nathaniel, building the dam) and first
frame building in the town. It was raised Oct. 2, 1822. Benjamin and Stephen
Ballard, John and Thomas Beverly, the Hill brothers, from Zoar: Ephraim
Brown, Jacob B. Van Aernem and his sons, and Elder Bartlett were at the
raising: which was not completed till the following day.
Shedrick Herrick and Edwin Farnsworth in 1822 settled on lot 66, on
or near the place now owned by Dr. Goldsborough. Herrick soon after coming
in had a son born; who was the first male child born in town. Farnsworth
erected the first frame dwelling in town, on the farm afterwards sold to
Otis and Peter Guile, from Vermont, located land on lot 4, township
5, range 8, before 1823; and Otis also on lot 69, township 5, range 7,
in the town of East Otto.
Moses Boone, from Onondaga County, located on lot 8, township
5, range 8. Alpheus Harwood, from near Canaudaigna, on lots 22 and 30,
township 5, range 8. Henry Willets, from Scipio, located land on lot 10,
18, and 21, township 5, range 8, about the same time.
Alexander Little, with his wife and five sons, came from Madison County
in the fall of 1822, remaining over night at Hill's tavern in Zoar, arriving
in the town Oct. 2, 1822. He purchased a chance of 100 acres on lot 15,
township 5, range 8, of a man by the name of McNeal, who had located about
a year previous, having bought of the Land Company at $1.50 per acre, erected
a shanty and made a little slashing. Little was a blacksmith; he brought
his tools with him. He erected a log shop that fall and commenced work.
This was the first blacksmith shop in town. The first barrel of salt that
was brought in town Mr. Little bought in Syracuse, on their way to this
place, and paid for it $1. They also brought a little flour with them.
After getting out, they bought of' David Beverly (who lived on lot 14,
township 5, range 8, a little south of them) two bushels of wheat, for
which they paid 31, and carried it to Lawton's mill, in the town of Collins,
near Kerr's Comers, to get it ground. Thomas Little now lives in the village
of Waverly. His son is living on lot 16. Harvey Little lives at Gowanda,
and owns a farm on "Forty," as it is culled. In the fall of 1823, Edwin
Putney, a young physician, came in from Livingston County, and boarded
during the winter with Alexander Little, practicing his profession until
the following spring, when he left the town.
Alvin Plumb, familiarly called" Lord Plumb," in 1824 located on lot
9, township 5, range 8, afterwards called the Lower Village; built a log
house and a blacksmith-shop; put up a water-wheel on the creek to run a
spinning-wheel; manufactured cow-bells for the farmers throughout a large
extent of country. In 1827 he removed to Hidi.
Mary Price, a spinster from near Pittsburgh, Pa-, came in alone
in 1824, and bought 50 acres of land of Abel M. Butler; hired two acres
chopped, made a logging-bee, and had the logs rolled up for her house by
the neighbors. When the road tax was to be collected she refused to pay
it, but went out and held the scraper, and paid her road tax as the men
did. She was not in much favor, and was the butt of the community. She
lived there many years, and finally died in the poor-house at Machias.
Stephen Rogers came to the town in 1824, and bought land where Waverly
now stands; and in 1825 bought the saw-mill of C. B. Parkinson. In the
fall of 1826 he erected the first grist-mill in the town and the first
tavern, raising them at the same time, the neighbors gathering at the raising.
Among these were Thomas and Harvey Little, Darius Warner, Square Travis,
the Austins, Fosters, Greens, Butlers, and Barbers. Whisky passed freely,
and two days were occupied in completing the raising. He had a log house
where Mr. Wm. F. Elliot's bank now stands, and in 1826 Sidney Stearns taught
school there. In 1827 he' sold the hotel to David Elliot, who kept it many
years. Mr. Rogers soon after sold his property in the town and removed
James Barber settled on lot 12 in 1823, where his son, James M. Barber,
Robert McDuffie, a native of New Jersey, resided in Montgomery County,
and for a period of six years followed teaming from Albany to Buffalo.
In 1823 he came to this town, and located on lot 3, township 5, range 8,
where Hoyt Hinman owns; lived there a bachelor for about three years, married
Eliza Eldridge, and moved on the west side of the creek at Waverly; afterwards
bought a half interest in the carding and cloth-dressing mill of R. Knowlton,
which he retained a few years. His death occurred in 1871, at the age of
seventy-seven years. His son lives at Waverly.
Simeon Waterman, a brother of Ira Waterman, came here in 1823, and
bought a chance of 15 acres of Edwin Farnsworth, on the hill north of Waverly.
He built the first ashery in town, and a log house where Martin Botsford
In November, 1824, Vine Plumb, from East Otto, bought Waterman's chance,
the ashery and house, put in some goods and opened the first store in the
town. The winter was very open, and a good time for the farmers to make
ashes and black salts, and Plumb manufactured during the winter fifty barrels
of pearlash, which he sent to his brother in Gowanda, with whom he was
connected. He remained at this place about two years, and sold the place
to Sylvanus Parkinson, who bought 170 acres of Edwin Farnsworth, including
his. He then removed to Waverly, contracted land of Stephen Rogers, and
erected the first frame house in 'Waverly for a dwelling and store, where
Wolf's grocery now stands. He married Caroline Stebbins, of East Otto,
in 1826, Squire Samuel Tuthill officiating on the occasion. He was born
in Paris, Oneida Co., Jan. 4, 1798; emigrated with his brother Ralph to
Gowanda in 1823, where Ralph went into business and lived many years. In
June, 1824, Vine Plumb took a stock of goods to half a mile cast of East
Otto and opened the first store in what is now that town, and remained
until November of that year, when he removed to this town, where he still
resides. He was town clerk from 1826 to 1837.
Daniel Botsford, a native of Middletown, Conn., came to this town in
1824, and settled on lot 6, township 5, range 8, buying 150 acres. He afterwards
bought the farm of Ephraim Brown, where he located and lived many years.
He was the leader of the first Methodist class organized in the town.
Ephraim Green lived in Wayne County, and in 1823 came to this town
and located land for his sons, Nathan and James C., on lots 23 and 24,
township 5, range 8, who came in 1824. Nelson built a log house on lot
23 in the fall of 1825, and married in the spring of 1826. He afterwards
bought a farm on lot 31, and lived there many years, and moved to Michigan.
He represented the town as supervisor from 1832 to 1835 and from 1839 to
James C. Green came in at the same time with his brother, and in 1826
worked part of the lot his father selected. In 1830 he settled on 250 acres
on lot 24, township 5, range 8, and married Maria, daughter of David McMasters,
who came in from Montgomery County in 1826, and settled 168 acres on lot
4, township 6, range 8, where his son, W. G. McMasters, now resides.
David and Wm. Blaisdell, in 1823, settled on lot 57; David on the farm
where Frank Harvey now resides, in the southeast part of the town.
John Ferris, Matthew Parkinson, John Cotrael, and John C. Cross came
in town between 1824 and 1826. Ferris, from Schoharie County, settled on
lot 65, township 5, range 7, where James, his son, now lives.
John T. Ferris, his cousin, came in a year or two later, and settled
in the north part of the town, on lot 69, township 5, range 7, where Wiley
Botsford resides. He was supervisor of the town in 1829-30.
John Cotrael emigrated from Schoharie County in 1826, with a team of
horses, harness, and sleigh that the father and father-in-law of John Ferns
wished to send out to him as a present. Mr. Cotrael located on lot 65,
buying 200 acres, 100 acres of which were for John C. Cross, who settled
in 1828. The sons of Mr. Cotrael are living in Waverly, where they are
engaged in the hardware business. He is still living on the place he originally
Dexter Bartlett, a native of Vermont, came to this town, with a wife
and seven children, in November, 1825, traveling by canal from Troy to
Buffalo, from thence by team to lot 6, township 5, range 8, where he settled
upon 100 acres, building a plank house 011 the farm Wm. Bull now owns.
His son Nelson lives in Waverly.
Champlain Babcock settled on lot 2, township 6, range 8, in 1826,
where his family still reside.
Caleb Lewis, from Washington County, settled, in 1825, on lot 7, where
his log house still stands, across the street from the Methodist church.
Bela Tarbox, Russell D. Gibson, and Hosea Merrithew settled on lot
51, in 1823-24. Isaiah Tarbox, brother of Bela, came in from Oneida County,
with an axe on his shoulder, a clean shirt, ten cents in money, and an
article for 50 acres on the same lot, and slept on the" breakers" in a
hollow log when coming from Springvi1le. He built a log house where his
daughter, Mrs. Lansing Edwards, now lives. Hosea Merrithew lived near him.
They put out apple-orchards on their farms that are still standing. In
the first year his grist was carried on his back to Skinner Hollow to be
Sylvester M. Cox emigrated from Onondaga County when about eighteen
years of age, arrived in this town the 4th of March, 1825, and was employed
by Alexander Little, with whom he remained about two and a half years,
working at clearing land and blacksmithing; the first year he was in town
he assisted in building 35 buildings,-dwellings, barns, and school-houses.
Before he was of age he took a contract of John T. Ferris for clearing
45 acres. In 1828 he bought a chance of 100 acres of Thomas Beverly on
lot 1, township 6, range 8, but soon traded for a larger farm on lot 7,
township 4, range 8, in New Albion, with Vine Plumb. On the 25th of April,
1830, he married Reliance Slaght, and in the fall of that year commenced
housekeeping, and remained there five years, and moved to Waverly, where
he worked at blacksmithing for one and a half years. In the spring of 1837
he traded his house and lot and shop and some land he owned in Michigan
for a part of the farm he formerly owned in this town, and moved upon it
and remained until 1866. He was the father of four children. Mrs. Judge
A. D. Scott, of Waverly, now deceased, and Mrs. Chas. F. Derby, of Gowanda,
were his daughters. He now resides in Ellicottville.
James Borden, from Schoharie County, came to Waverly in 1826, with
his wife and two children, and settled on lot 1 in the village of Waverly.
He was a tanner by trade, and in the first season built vats in the yard
in the rear of his house. In the spring and summer of 1827 he built a tannery
across the brook from his house. It remained in possession of the family
until February 1872, and was destroyed by fire in October following. Mrs.
Borden is living at Waverly. W. H. Strickland married their daughter for
his second wife. Sons and daughters are living in the town.
Livingston and William Cross came to the village of Waverly in 1827
j the former was a carpenter and worked upon the grist-mill and tavern
of Mr. Rogers, and still resides in the village. The latter tended the
gristmill. Peter Karker Was here in 1827, and assisted in setting the machinery
in the grist-mill in June, 1827. He was one of the constituent members
of the Presbyterian Church.
Bliss Loomis emigrated from Bennington, Vermont, to this town in the
winter of 1826-27 with his wife, and passed the winter at Waverly. Mrs.
Loomis made the bolt for the mill, which was the first used in the vicinity.
In the spring of 1828 he located about two miles east of Waverly on lots
49 and 50, and built a log house on the spot where his son's barn now stands.
They had two sons, Henry C. and Nelson. Henry C. went out in the war of
the Rebellion as lieutenant in the 64th Regiment and afterwards joined
the 154th, of which regiment he became colonel. He now resides in Kansas.
Nelson, and Charles O'Brien, of Waverly, were the first two to enlist in
the town on the call for troops in 1861, the latter being the first. Nelson
is living on the old homestead.
Justus Scott came from Springville to the town of Otto, in March 1843.
He bought a part of lot No; 50, the interest of Russell D. Gibson, in 60
acres of land, held by contract, where the farm buildings now stand. 1I1r.
Gibson, in 1824, had two pieces of land on lot No. 51. Adjoining them were
four or five acres cleared, and as much more slashed. The old framed house
now used as a tenant house was inclosed and roof on, and the frame of the
old barn was up. Mr. Scott and the two older boys commenced chopping and
clearing and buying more land until he became the owner of about 500 acres
of land,-one of the finest and most productive farms in the county, and
more than half of which has been reduced from a wilderness to productive,
well-cultivated land by his untiring energy, assisted by his sons.
An incident occurred in 1838 worthy of mention. Mr. Scott had slashed
about 10 acres, intending to burn and clear it off for a crop, but was
compelled to be away from home about a week at a time when it should have
been burned. Mrs. Scott waited a day or two for his return, but finally
concluded to set the fires herself. The trees had been felled in windrows,
and she took the torch, and as she entered the slashing commenced setting
the fires, passing on and on with her torch, touching the dry leaves here
and there until there was a streak of flame around nearly the whole piece,
and she inside, apparently with no way of escape. In the excitement she
had neglected to attend to her own safety. Greatly frightened and fu11y
appreciating her danger, she reflected a moment and then ran to the place
she entered, where she found a space between the end of the windrows; where
she passed out, nearly exhausted with the heat and smoke. This is an instance
illustrating the energy and spirit that actuated the wives of the early
settlers of this county. In 1845, Mr. Scott borrowed $500 at the bank,
and purchased a dairy of 50 cows. They cost him in March of that year $12.64
each when he got them home. He hired one of the Austin’s, of Hamburg, to
teach the family how to make cheese, and that year he sold his cheese to
Ralph and Joseph Plumb, of Gowanda, for five cents a pound, and delivered
the same in Buffalo, and with the proceeds paid his bank-note, and had
more money to pay on his land than he had ever been able to pay in any
previous year. He urged the Plumbs to contract his cheese for five years
at five cents per pound, which they declined. Be never sold so cheap afterwards.
In 1848 he rented his farm with 50 cows to Noah Starr for five years, at
$500 a year, and removed with his family to Springville, to enable his
children to attend the academy. In 1853 he retired with his family to the
old farm in Otto, where he now lives.
RosewelI Knowlton, in 1829, built a custom-mill, and set up a carding-machine
on the creek about one-half mile below Waverly, where the Pearce Woolen-Mills
now stand. In the next year he sold a half-interest to Robert McDuffie.
B. W. Ingraham, of Rensselaer County, a soldier of the war of 1812,
settled where his son Simeon now lives. Alexander lives at Zoar.
David Elliott in 1827, bought of Stephen Rogers the tavern property
in Waverly, and kept tavern for many years. Selleck St. John, a son-in-law
of Mr. Elliott, was the first postmaster in Waverly, in 1830, and afterwards
justice of the peace.
W. F. Elliott, in 1831, opened a store in the village of Waverly, where
Truby's clothing-store now is, and dealt largely in black' salts, for which
cash was paid at the average rate of $2.50 per hundred, and manufactured
pearlash. The ashery was situated below R. Dewey's foundry. He is still
living in the village, and is proprietor of a private bank.
JOHN S. HARVEY MRS. THEDEY HARVEY
JOHN S. HARVEY. (DECEASED.) insert photo
One of the largest landed proprietors, and a prominent citizen, universally
esteemed and respected, resident of this town, was he of whom we write.
Mr. John S. Harvey was born in the town of Marcellus, County of Onondaga,
State of New York, in June, 1805. He immigrated to Cattaraugus County,
February 11, 1827, and first settled in that portion of Little Valley now
known as New Albion. Before leaving Onondaga County, however, he married
(in 1827) Miss Thedey Reed, who was born in 1805.
Jonathan Reed, father of Mrs. Harvey, was a native of Massachusetts,
of Puritan stock, and a descendant of Revolutionary sires illustrious in
the annals of our country's history. He was born before the struggle for
Independence (in 1774), and during the administration of our second President
(in 1798) moved westward to New York State, taking up his pioneer residence
in Onondaga County, which at that date was an unsettled wilderness. He
followed farming all his life, and died in 1829,aged 55 years.
Medad Harvey, father of our subject, became a resident of Onondaga
County, New York, about the year 1800. He purchased and settled upon a
farm in the town of Marcellus, where his son, John S., was born, passed
his youth, obtained his education, and "followed the plow" until he attained
his twenty-second year, when he married and moved west to make himself
a home in Western New York, a previously mentioned. The family of Mr. J.
E Harvey numbers three sons, -Hiram R., Alfred B and Frank J. Harvey, -all
of whom are living Hiram, in Cattaraugus village; Alfred, in the village
of Randolph, this county; and F. J., about a mile from Waverly, in the
town of Otto. John S. Harvey was the owner of six hundred and twenty-five
acres of land in Cattaraugus County.
Politically, Mr. Harvey acted with the Democratic Party, at whose hands
he received several offices of honor and trust, among others that of supervisor
of the town of New Albion. He was an active member of the Baptist denomination,
and contributed liberally to the support of that society. He died February
1, 1871, aged sixty-six years. His remains repose in the cemetery at Waverly.
His widow still survives at the age of seventy-three, quite hale an hearty
for a person of her years. The original home stead is now owned by his
second son, Alfred B. Harvey. To the memory of his parents, Frank. Harvey
* has caused their portraits to be here inserted, in connection with the
record of their lives and thus handed down to future generations.
* A fine view of F. J. Harvey’s residence, and portraits of himself
and wife, may also be seen in this work.
C. B. Allen came from Gowanda to Waverly in 1833. He opened
a store, now occupied as a dwelling, near the Wilber Hotel, and entered
into the manufacture of pearl-ash. He built an ashery in the winter of
1833-34, which is still standing on the north side of the creek. In 1840
he purchased a half-interest in the woolen-mill, and the next year the
other half. He continued manufacturing until 1851, when D. T. Gibson entered
into partnership, which was continued until December, 1867, when the mill
was destroyed by fire. He did not again engage in the business, but sold
his interest to Mr. Gibson. He represented his town as supervisor in 1837
and 1838, and is still living in Waverly.
W. H. Strickland came from Watertown in 1832, and settled 50 acres
on lot 3, township 5, range 8. He was one of the constituent members of
the Methodist Episcopal Church at Waverly. In 1843 he married Statira,
daughter of Judge Allen, of Gowanda, and sister of C. B. Allen, of Waverly.
He is still living on the farm he first settled.
Sayler Ross, a native of Rhode Island, located land on lot 32, township
5, range 8, and lots 4 and 5, township 6, range 8, in 1842, and with his
wife, six sons, and three daughters settled on lot 32. His sons settled
near Waldo, 125 acres on lot 3; Asa, on the old homestead; Co1. C. A. Ross,
near where the cheese-factory now is.
Ira Root, a soldier in the war of 1812, immigrated to this town in
1832, and settled on lot 3, township 6, range 8, where his family still
Nicholas Ballard came in town in 1838, built the first wagon-shop in
the town at Waverly, and is still living here.
The present town of Otto contained as land-owners, in 1819, Wm. Cook,
lot 21, Mason Hicks, lot 23, and Joseph Bartlett, lot 24, all in township
5, and 7th range; Ira Waterman, lot 1, and Ephraim Brown, on lot 6, township
5, and 8th range.
From the assessment-roll of 1824, the following names are taken as
land-owners at that time, and the lots on which they located:
Christian B. Parkinson 1 5
Simeon Waterman 2 5
Edward Farnsworth 2 5
Isaac Mowry 2 5
William Farnsworth 2 5
John Beverly 3 5
James C. Beverly 3 5
Robert C. McDuffie 3 5
Benjamin Ballard 4 5
Stephen Ballard 4 5
Isaac Ballard -1 5
Otis Guile 4 5
Peter Guile 4 5
Adam Billiard 5 5
Ephraim Brown 5 5
Luther Town 5 5
Hosea White 6 5
Wadsworth Foster 6 5
Joseph Foster 6 5
" " 7 5
Benjamin Austin 7 5
Asa Bates 7 5
1I10ses W. Boon 8 5
Alvin P. Plumb 9 5
Henry Willets 10 5
Daniel H. Grinds 10 5
John Camp 11 5
Job Milk 12 5
James Barber 12 5
Mina Hitchcock 12 5
. 13 5
Thomas Wilson 14 5
Edward W. Austin 14
.. 14 5
Alexander Little 15 5
Josha Boutwell 16 5
Jehial Hill 16 5
Henry Willets 18 5
Claudiius Brown 19 5
Ira Lapham, 20 5
Abel M. Butler 22 5
Alpheus Harwood 22 5
Ephraim Green 23 5
Hugh McKinney 23 5
John Beverly 23 5
John D. Beverly 24 5
Thomas Beverly 24 5
Ephraim Green 24 5
John D. Davenport 26 5
Thorndike Coming 27 5
Thomson Davenport 26 5
Cyrus Green 27 5
Ichabod Hrding 28 5
Isaac W. Skinner 28 5
" " 29 5
Alpheus Harwood 30 5
John Lapham 30 5
John Packard 31 5
"" 32 5
John Ferris, 32 5
Shedrick Herrick 66 5
Edwin Farnsworth 66 5
Benjamin Ballard 68 5
Otis Guile 69 5
W. C. McGaw 68 5
Thomas L. Butterfield 70 5
Wadsworth Foster 70 5
Joshua Eaton 49 5
. 50 5
Russel D. Gibson 51 5
" " 51 5
Hosea Merrithew 51 5
Bela Tarbox 51 5
William Blaisdell 57 5
David Peters 58 5
Joseph Allen 58 5
Phineas Spencer 61 5
Stephen Williams 20 6
William Cook 21 6
Esek Cook 21 6
Silas Cook 20 6
_ 23 6
ORGANIZATION OF TOWN.
Otto, named in honor of Jacob S. Otto, was erected from Perrysburg
by act of Jan. 29, 1823, which provided, "that from and after the 2d Monday
in February next all that part of the town of Perrysburg comprising township
No.5 in 7th and 8th ranges of Holland Land Company, and so much of the
6th township in the 7th range and 6th township in 8th range as lays on
south side of Cattaraugus Creek and east of south branch of said creek,
shall be erected into a separate town by the name of Otto, and that the
first town-meeting to be held therein shall be held at the house of Ephraim
Brown, on the second Tuesday of February next." It embraced all the present
town of Persia except that portion lying in the 6th township, 8th range.
April 12 of the same year, ''all that part of Otto lying west of the south
branch of Cattaraugus Creek, in the 5th township, 8th range," was by act,
annexed to Perrysburg. The first town-meeting was held at the time and
place specified in the act, and the organization was effected by the election
of the following officers:
Abel M. "Butler, Supervisor; Tyler M. Beach, Clerk; Ira Waterman, Luther
Town, and Asaph Silsby, Assessors j Benjamin Austin and Samuel Tuthill,
Overseers of the Poor; Jabez Hull, Willis Boutwell, Harvey Butler, and
Ira 'Waterman, Commissioners of Common School; Joseph Foster and Samuel
Tuthill, Inspectors of Common Schools; Justus Bartholomew, Davis Benedict,
and Ira Waterman: Commissioners of Highways.
At this meeting it was resolved to meet at the dwelling house of Benjamin
Ballard the first Tuesday in March. At this special meeting Joseph Allen
was chosen collector, and Ichabod Harding, John Campen, Alexander Little,
Luther Town, Willis Boutwell, Isaiah Truman, Horace 'Veils, Josiah Baker,
and Elijah Parmenter were chosen overseers of districts from No.1 to 9
respectively. It was voted that $250 be raised for highways.
The following is a list of supervisors, town clerks, and justices of
the peace to the present time:
1824-27 Abel M. Butler 1856 Charles H. Morris
1828-29 John T. Ferris 1857 Levi Goldsborough
1830 Joseph Allen 1858 Charles H. Morris
1831 Elijah Rice 1859-60 William E. Hunt
1832-35 Nelson Green 1861 David T. Gibson
1937-38 Constant B. Allen 1862-66 William E. Hunt
1939-44 Nelson Green 1867 James C. Green
1845-47 John P. Darling 1868-69 William E. Hunt
1848-50 John Laing 1870-74 Ralph Dewey
1851-52 James C. Green 1875-77 Simeon V. Pool
1853-55 William T. Elliott 1877 Asa Ross
1824-25 Tyler M. Beach 1852-54 S. B. Thompson
1826-37 Vine Plumb 1855 William E. Hunt
1838 Elijah Dresser 1856 J. B. Maltby
1839-41 John P. Darling 1857-58 Carlton H. Cotreal
1842 Elijah Dresser 1859 Ephraim C. Elliott
1843 John P. Darling 1860-67 Thomas L. Rogers
1844-48 John C. Carpenter 1868-71 Elisha Duke
1848-49 William F. Elliott 1872 Alexander A. Courter
1850 William Rumsey 1873-75 Benjamin G. Green
1851 Julius B. Maltby 1876-78 Thomas B. Soule
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
The first were elected in 1827, and were classed
as follows: Asahel Hill, for one year; John T. Ferris, for two years; Samuel
Tuthill, for three years; Abraham L. Gibbs, for four years; Joseph Allen,
Ozi M. Goodale, Joseph Foster, Asa Leland, Isaac Mason, Arnold Bently,
Joseph Allen, Joseph Foster, Daniel Pratt, Selleck St John, Sylvester Pierce,
Hugh Orr, Asa Leland, Homer, Wooden, E. A. Rice, Joseph Foster, Joseph
Allen, John Wilcox, Selleck St. John, Philander Griffiths, Conrad Vosburg,
Joseph Allen, John C. Carpenter, Selleck St. John, Samuel C. Everts, Tyler
M. Beach, Joseph Foster, Orson Cochrane, Arnold Bently, Homer J. Wooden,
Conrad Vosburg, Selleck St. John, George W. Harvey, Joseph Foster, Homer
J. Wooden, David T. Gibson, Miles M. More, Julius B. Maltby, Philip Lake,
Oliver Dake, Henry 1Iull, Orson Cochrane, Ralph Dewey, Walter H. Strickland,
James C. Green, Philip Lake, Orson Cochrane, Ralph Dewey, George Parkinson,
Albert Hemstreet, Ralph Dewey, John A. Losee, D. T. Gibson, Justin Scott,
Orson Cochrane, John T. Newman, Walter H. Strickland, Orson Cochrane, Nathan
Larabee, Darwin C. Babcock, David C. Gibson, Charles E. Pratt.
The first settlers in Otto were in the Valley of Zoar, in 1810, and
the children of these pioneers attended schools in the town of Collins,
on the north side of Cattaraugus Creek. The school-house stood on a bluff.
The first indication of a school in the town was at the first annual town-meeting,
in March, 1823, when it was voted to raise by tax double the amount of
the school fund appropriated by the State; and at a meeting of the commissioners
of schools, convened at the house of Tyler M. Beach, March 18, 1823, it
was voted to erect the following tract of land into a school district,
by the name of District No.1, comprising four tiers of Jots, from the east
side of township No.5, in the 7th range. District No.2, being foul' tiers
of Jots from the west side of the same township, was erected the same day,
Jabez Hull and Harvey Butler, commissioners. The 19th day of March, 1823,
Districts Nos. 3 and 4 were erected May 8, 1823, Nos. 5 and 6; Sept. 13,
1823, No. 7; April 18, 1825, No.8; May 13, 1825, No.9; Oct. 21, 1825, No.
10; and Nov. 11, 1826, No. 11 were erected, these comprising the districts
that are now in Otto and East Otto and part of Ashford.
The first school-house was built of Jogs in the spring of 1823, on
lot No. 14, on the farm now owned by Job Austin, and school was taught
the summer of that year by Betsey Chaffee. Harvey Little was sent by his
father on horseback to Springville to bring her from that place to teach
the school. She married afterwards - Eaton, of Springville, and her descendants
are living in that village. In the winter of 1823-24, Edward W. Austin
taught in the same place. William Farlane taught there also in the winter
of 1824-25. In the spring of 1825, a school-house was built on the farm
of Benjamin Austin, lot 7, now owned by Jacob Austin. Philura Beach was
the teacher that summer. She afterwards married Martin Perrins, of Collins.
A school-house was built the same season near Davis Benedict's.
The first school taught in Waverly was in the Jog house of Stephen
Rogers, built where the William T. Elliott's bank now stands, and Sydney
Stearns was the teacher in the winter of 1826. The present school building
in Waverly was erected in 1876, at a cost of $2200.
The present number of school districts is 8, containing 8 school buildings,
valued, with their sites, at $3725. Volumes in library number 187, valued
at $60. Nine teachers are employed, and the amount paid for teachers' wages
for year ending Sept. 30, 1878, 31673.99. The number of children of school
age was 344; the average daily attendance, 153.779; the number of weeks
taught, 2441- The amount of public money received from the State was $919.25;
amount of money received from tax, $952.32.
These statistics are from the report made to the Hon. Neil Gilmour,
superintendent of public instruction, and furnished by him.
The first Presbyterian minister that preached in this town was the Rev.
Ira Dunning. In the summer and fall of 1828, the persons who were interested
in religious matters, feeling the necessity of an organization, decided
to call a meeting for that: purpose. In accordance with such a notice,
a meeting was held at the house of Sylvanus Parkinson, Oct. 18, 1828, for
the purpose of taking into consideration the propriety of organizing a
church of' the Presbyterian order. The Rev. Wm. J. Wilcox was appointed
moderator, and the meeting opened by prayer. The following persons presented
themselves as candidates for the proposed church: Sylvanus Parkinson and
Hannah, his wife; Peter Karger and Margaret, his wife; Catharine Parkinson,
Asagail Cox, Caroline Plumb, Rebecca Bowen, Jeremiah Spalding, and Tyler
Spalding, all of whom were certified by letter as being in good and regular
standing in the Presbyterian Church. Jane Cotrael, who had never professed
religion, also offered herself as a candidate. After mucl1 free and mutual
conversation on the subject of doctrinal and experimental religion: the
above-named persons declared themselves ready and willing to receive each
other in the fellowship of the gospel, and unanimously agreed to accept
the articles of faith and covenant; after the reading of which, the church
was constituted by prayer, under the name and title of the First Presbyterian
Church of Otto. Sylvanus Parkinson and Jeremiah Spalding were unanimously
elected to the office of ruling elders and deacon. Sylvanus Parkinson was
chosen to represent the church at the next meeting of the Presbytery of
Buffalo, and in January, 1829, it was received as a member of that body.
In April, 1830, the church reported 16 members.
March 29, 1834, Jeremiah Spalding, Tyler Spalding, Elijah Crowley,
and Deborah, his wife, were dismissed, to unite with a church about to
be organized in the east part of the town. fn 1835, at a meeting of the
session, it was the opinion that the articles of faith held by them were
exceptionable, and it was unanimously agreed to adopt the articles of faith
as recommended by the Presbytery of Buffalo to the churches under their
care. In 1839 the church reported 45 members.
July 19, 1858, at a meeting called for the purpose of determining whether
the church should remain under the Presbyterian form of government or adopt
the congregational, it was decided, after full and tree conference of the
members present, to administer the government of the church for the present
under the Congregational plan, while they still continue under the watch
care of the Presbytery. Ecclesiastical Council was held with the church,
Sept. 21, 1858, for the purpose of setting apart to the gospel ministry,
by ordination, W. W. Norton. Pastors and delegates from the following churches
assembled at the house of W. W. Norton: Presbyterian Church of Ellicottville,
Rev. Chas. Jerome, Ira Norton; Congregational Church of Napoli, Rev. H.
D. Sawing, S. N. Newel; Presbyterian Church of Olean, Rev. Sylvester Cowles;
Congregational Church of Little Valley: Rev. C. Burgess, George R. Powers.
Rev. Charles Jerome was chosen Moderator, and Rev. H. D. Sawing, Scribe.
The candidate was examined, accepted, and was ordained as pastor of the
church, Rev. Charles Jerome preaching the ordination sermon.
Dec. 31, 1859, at a church-meeting, it was voted unanimously that the
church be known hereafter as the First Congregational Church of Otto.
In the spring' and summer of 1861 a church edifice was erected on the
spot it now occupies, at a cost of $3000, and was dedicated Oct. 30, 1861;
the Rev. Wm. J. Reynolds, of Chautauqua Co., preaching the dedication sermon
from Matt. v. 14; "Ye are the light of the world."
Jan. 4, 1862, it was decided to make application
to the Consociation of Western New York for admission to that body, and
at the next meeting, Jan. 14, 1862, the church was welcomed to all the
The Rev. 'Wm. D. Henry, a missionary sent out to the feeble churches
in Western New York, ministered to this church with the pastor, January
and February, 1862, and great good was accomplished. As the result of this
meeting, 53 were accepted and added to the church in March,1862.
The pastors, from 1828 to the present time, who have ministered to
the church have been as follows: Rev. Wm. J. Wilcox was stated supply for
half the time; for more than one year from April, 1833, and was standing
moderator from the time of it!" organization till 1835; Rev. Daniel T.
Condee, afterwards missionary to the Sandwich Islands, was stated supply
to this church and East Otto for one year from October, 1835. He was succeeded
by the Rev. Sylvester Cowles, who supplied the church until 1839, when
the Rev. Miles Doolittle became his successor, and ministered to the two
churches for three years, when the Rev. Aaron Van Wormer assumed the pastoral
care. Again, in 1845, the Rev. M. Doolittle returned to the care of the
church, after which were the Revs. Royal Twitchell, S. J. Orton, Josiah
Baldwin, W. W. Norton, E. C. Hall, H. M. Hickey, F. P. Tompkins, and W.
D. Williams, who is the present pastor. The church numbers at present 73
members, having a Sunday-school of 90 pupils. H. S. Cotrael, Superintendent.
Their house of worship was repaired in 1873, at a cost of about $1000;
they also have a parsonage in connection. The society is free from debt,
and in good healthy condition.
METHODIST CHURCHES OF OTTO
The first minister of this denomination, who preached in this section,
was John Griffith, and a class was organized at the house of Caleb Lewis,
composed of Caleb Lewis and wife, Daniel Botsford and wife, Adam Ballard
and wife, and Humphrey Ingram, with Daniel Botsford as first leader. This
class was at that time on the Boston circuit, then embracing the most of
Cattaraugus County, Loring Grant, presiding elder. The church was organized
in 1826, very soon after the class, and Jehial Lamb, and Joseph Foster,
and Charles H. Morris were members of the first society. The ministers
in charge at the organization were John Wiley and Wilber Hoag, and they
were the first pastors. Services were held at the houses of the members,
and sometimes in barns, until 1836, when the fi1'St church was built on
the spot where the present church of North Otto stands.
In 1832, the first quarterly-meeting was held in a barn belonging to
Luther Sprague; Rev. Micah Segur was presiding elder. A new church was
built in 1870, at a cost of $2000, and dedicated in October of that year
by the Rev. C. D. Burlingame. In the fall of 1836, a new class was formed
at Waverly from the mother church by Garrison Ballard and wife, W. H. Strickland,
and _Ms. Burroughs. The first meetings were held at the school-house on
Thomas Rogers' land, under the charge of the Rev. Ira Bronson. A church
was erected by this branch in 1845, on its present site, at a cost of $5000.
The ministers, as far as can be ascertained since the organization of the
church, are as follows: John Wiley, Wilber Hoag, Ira Bronson, Coburn, Heywood,
Cook, Davis, Kennard, Kent, Buck, Packard, H. Butlin, F. W. Conable, Blake,
O. N. Roberts, F. D. Sargent, C. D. Rowley, F. D. Goodrich, and J. E. Clayton,
who is the present pastor.
These churches are under the same charge, and number 187 members. The
Sunday-school of North Otto contains 100 scholars j William Bull, superintendent.
The one at Waverly contains 56 scholars; Ralph Dewey, superintendent. There
is also in connection and under the charge of these churches, a Sunday-school
at East Mansfield, with 100 pupils; Frank Keeler of this town is the superintendent.
The society is in good condition, and entirely free from debt.
GERMAN EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH
This church was organized the 14th day of November, 1875, at the Masonic
Hall, with 64 members. The minister in charge was the Rev. Mr. Dyer, from
Missouri. A church edifice was erected in 1875-76, and dedicated Nov. 12,
1876, the services being conducted in German by the Rev. A. Z. Groszberger,
assisted by the Rev. J. Bernrauther of Olean. On Monday, November 13, services
were conducted in English by the pastor, Rev. C. F. Boezh. The present
membership is 35, and the trustees are Lewis Miller, Frederick Beaver,
and Henry Gold.
BAPTIST CHURCH IN OTTO
The Second Baptist Church in Otto was organized in December, i831,
with 18 members, and services were held in school-houses. The Rev. A. Wells
was the first pastor in 1833, ministering half the time. The church was
received in the Association in 1833, reporting at that time 47 members.
The pastors succeeding Mr. Wells were the Revs. D. Platt, L. Wall, and
D. Platt. In 1839, they reported 57 members. No reports were made to the
Association after this year, and the society has become disorganized. No
church edifice was erected.
THE CLINTON F. PAGE LODGE, NO. 620, F. AND A. M., was constituted at
Otto, June 15, 1867, by the Grand Lodge of the State of New York, with
Ralph Dewey as Master, and Phipps Lake as Senior Warden.
The Past Masters have been Ralph Dewey, Frank Elliot, Phipps
Lake, T. B. Gibson, and John T. Newman.
The present officers are T. W. Gibson. W. M.; W. Pflueger, S. W.;
Frank Barber, J. W.; M. S. Botsford, Treas.; Ralph Dewey, Sec.
Masonic Hall building is owned by the society, the upper story of which
is devoted to their use. They number at present 70 members.
OTTO LODGE, NO. 386, I. O. OF O. F.,
was constituted by the Grand Lodge of the State of New York, Aug. 22,
1848, with G. S. Gowdy, N. G. j Pliny L.
Fox, V. G.; E. C. Eddy, Treas.; and W. H. Eddy, Sec.
Besides the charter-members, four were admitted by card and twelve
were initiated the first night of meeting. The Grand Lodge took up the
old charter, issuing a new one, under the name and title of Otto Lodge,
No. 137, Dec. 1,1850. The lodge was in good condition for several years,
but was discontinued about 1870.
OTTO GRANGE, NO. 381, PATRONS OF HUSBANDRY is in the northwest part
of the town. The meetings are} at the Dake school-house. They number 27
Waverly Burying-Ground Association is situated on hill east of the
village, adjoining the Congregational Church and contains about three acres.
It is incorporated, and officers are C. B. Allen, Pres.; W. F. Elliot,
Treas.; E. Hunt, Sec.
A burial-ground is in the north part of the town, the Methodist church,
and is known as the Benedict-Burying-Ground. It is still in use.
was first settled by C. B. Parkinson, Stephen Rogers, and others, the
first in 1822. It is situated in the center the southern part of the town,
near the boundary line in a deep valley of the south branch of Cattaraugus.
The business portion of the village is in the valley, and the residences
are mostly upon the slopes and the plateau the hill to the east. The south
branch of the Cattaraugus Creek at this place was dammed as early as 1822,
and the saw-mills and grist-mills that were erected have long passed away,
but the water privileges are still utilized. D. M. Brown has a flouring-mill,
known as the" Otto Mills” in successful operation, having three run of
stone. This mill was built in 1860, and passed to its present ownership
in 1871. A saw-mill is situated above the bridge, a connected with it a
cider-mill. Down the stream is 1 the iron-foundry and machine-shop of R.
Dewey, present building was erected in 1877, the old one been destroyed
by fire. About a quarter of a mile down the stream stand the Pearce Woolen-Mills,
750 spindles and 2 full sets of machinery, which successful operation:
The first mill erected here 1829, by Roswell Knowlton, as a custom-mill.
In 1839, machinery was added for the manufacture of woolen goods, the most
of the time under the firm of Allen & until 1867, when the buildings
were destroyed they were re-erected by D. T. Gibson, and are now by Charles
A cheese-factory, owned by persons in New York City and Herkimer County,
under the name of the American Association, is located on the creek, at
the village; manufactures the milk of 300 cows.
In March, 1867, Cox, Elliot & Co opened a private bank in the village
of Waverly. In 1869, Mr. Cox retired, and the business was conducted by
W. F. Elliott & Son, until 1874, since which time it has been entirely
by W. F. Elliot. .
Besides these the village contains 2 hotels, 2 churches, school-house,
post-office, 3 dry-goods and grocery, 2 groceries, tobacco and cigar-store,
2 drug-stores, jeweler, hardware-store, merchant-tailor, market, boot and
shoe store, harness-shop, cabinet-shop, 3 blacksmith-shops, 2 carriage
shops, photograph-gallery, millinery-store, manufacture of oils, 1 lawyer,
and 3 physicians.
Otto ranks with the best agricultural towns of the county. Among the
principal crops produced by its farmers are hay, oats, corn, potatoes,
and fruit, -especially apples. But the predominating industry is grazing,
"and the production of butter and cheese. The former is chiefly made in
families, the latter almost entirely in factories. Of these there are seven,
which receive and manufacture the milk of about 2250 cows, producing yearly
nearly 1,000,000 pounds of cheese. These factories are as follows:
Co1. C. A. Ross has three factories, north from Waverly about six miles,
near" Forty." About 1000 cows are in connection with these factories, and
about 8000 cheeses are annually made.
Myron Barker, two miles northwest from Waverly, bas a factory that
uses the milk of about 300 cows, and about 2500 cheeses are made yearly.
The Tallman is located six miles due north from Waverly; the milk from
250 cows is used, and about 2800 cheeses are made annually.
The American Association Factory is located at Waverly, and uses the
milk from 300 cows. 2500 cheeses are manufactured yearly.
Fred. H. Yerke, near Scott's Corners, has a factory that "uses
the milk from about 400 cows, from which about 3000 cheeses are made annually.
The agricultural statistics for 1835, together with the manufactures,
school districts, teachers' wages, public money, etc., are given below:
Assessed vallue of real
Assessed value of
Fulled cloth, yds.......... ..2,632
Cottons, linen, etc., yd...3,679
Number of school dist's
Public money expended. $163
Teachers' wages and
Number of scholars
Comparative statement of the agricultural statistics of 1855 and 1875,
as taken from the census, are given below:
Acre, of improved land
“ unimproved land
“meadow land, producing 2540 tons of hay
“ oats, producing 20,219 bushels
Acres of improved land
" “ Unimproved land
“ “ meadow
land, producing 4,496 tons of hay
“ “ corn
“ ‘” oats,
" “ potatoes, "
Apple.trees, producing 22,137 bushels of apples
Pounds butter made in families
" The population of the town of Otto is given for comparison, from the
census returns of the following years :
1825,601; 1830,1224; 1835,1731; 1840,2133; 1845, 1110; 1850, 2267;
1855, 1094; 1865, 1006; 1875, 1089.
Waverly, in 1855, contained 277 inhabitants; in 1865,344.
SOLDIERS OF THE REVOLUTION AND WAR OF 1812
who are buried in the town of Otto.
John Boutwell was a soldier of the Revolutionary war, and died
Sept. 12, 1847, aged eighty-five years.
Benjamin Austin, soldier of the war of 1812; died April 14, 1852,
aged eighty-seven years.
William Bull, soldier of the war of 1812: died Nov. 12, 1863,
aged eighty-two years.
Humphrey Ingraham, soldier of the war of 1812; died Sept. 13,
1870, aged seventy-two years.
John Morris, soldier of the war of 1812; died Oct. 1, 1852, aged
seventy-eight years and six months.
Joseph Satterlee, soldier of the war of 1812; died Dec. 15, 1863,
aged seventy-four years and four months.
Jonathan Boon, soldier of the war of 1812; died in 1837, aged
HON. S. V. POOL, M.D.
INSERT PHOTO S. V. POOL
This gentleman was born in Springville, Erie Co., N. Y., March 14, 1837,
his father, Elmedoras Chase Pool, being a physician of forty years' practice.
Simeon received not only a common school, but an academic education.
. After leaving the Springville Academy, he commenced the study of his
chosen profession in the spring of 1858, attending the first course of
lectures at the Buffalo Medical College, from which institution he graduated
with honors, in 1866. He subsequently (1872) attended lectures at the Jefferson
Medical College; Philadelphia. He practiced medicine in Colden, Erie Co.,
until his removal to Otto, in the fall of 1867, at which place he has continued
his profession, having made for himself a large practice, which engrosses
the most of his time and attention.
Dr. Pool has been a member of the Cattaraugus County Medical Society
since first coming into the county, and one of the medical censors for
most of the time. The duties of the censors are arduous, they having to
examine every candidate for a license to practice medicine" who shall have
complied with the requisitions of the laws of the State of New York," and
if found qualified, to give a certificate to that effect.
In 1865 he married Miss Esther Maria Allen, daughter of Constant B.
Allen, of Otto. His family consists of two children, -a son and a daughter.
Dr. Pool is a patriotic man, and very few have suffered more for his
country than be. He entered the Union army in 1862, as 1st lieutenant,
in the 154th Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry. He was promoted in
1863 to a captaincy, and served until the close of the war not only with
an honorable record, but having experienced a most eventful one. Participating
in the battles of Chancellorsville and Gettysburg, in the latter engagement
he was taken prisoner, and endured the tortures of Libby and other Southern
prison-pens for twenty months. While confined in the rebel prison at Charlotte,
N. C., he effected his escape, Feb. 17, 1865, by running the guard, in
attempting which many others had been shot. For four weeks he was a fugitive
within the enemy's lines, skulking wearily along unfrequented paths by
night, and hiding in the woods and marshes during the day; wandering over
to him unknown roads, crossing and re-crossing the Blue Ridge Mountains
several times, only to find himself as far from liberty as before, and
receiving his nourishment chiefly at the hands of friendly negroes and
sympathizing" crackers." After a walk of four hundred miles, on the 16th
of March he found himself, to his unbounded joy, in the vicinage of a Union
camp, and entered the Federal lines at French Broad River, eighty miles
above Knoxville. During his journey, before reaching the mountains, he
came to the Catawba River in the night time, to cross which he stripped
off his clothes and tied them on the back of his head, expecting to have
to swim, but the water was too shallow, and he waded across. Upon reaching
the Union army, he went immediately to Washington and reported for duty.
Politically, Dr. Pool has always been a Republican. He has served as
supervisor of Otto for three years, and in the fall of 1877 was elected
to the State Legislature, assemblyman for the Second District of this county,
by a handsome majority over Charles E. Gallagher, the Democratic candidate.
In the State Legislature he served as a member of the committee on public
health, and as chairman of the committee on Indian affairs. He was re-elected
in 1878. Although bred to the profession of medicine, he has shown marked
ability as a legislator, and were he ambitious of political honors, could
have almost any office at the gift of his fellow-townsmen, so greatly esteemed
is he in his town and vicinity. But he prefers the duties of his profession.
Dr. Pool is deservedly popular wherever known, whether in the sick-room
or in legislative halls. He possesses the necessary qualifications of the
successful physician, -knowledge, geniality of disposition, and firmness,
blended with compassionate kindness.
was born in Springville, Erie Co., N. Y., Jan. 26, 1815, and was the
oldest son and the fourth child in a family of four girls and five boys.
The second son, I. G. Cochran, was born Feb. 5, 1817, and was sent to Persia,
in Asia, by the Presbyterian Missionary Society, in 1847, and died there
in 1870; the third son is living on the old homestead at Springville; the
fourth son, A. G. Cochran, is living in Great Valley, Cattaraugus Co.;
the fifth son and youngest child was principal of the State Normal School
at Albany, N. Y., for a number of years, and is now President of the Polytechnic
Institute at Brooklyn, N. Y. Orson Cochran, being the oldest son, was kept
at home to work on the farm and wait on travelers. He was sent to a common
school, summer and winter terms, until eleven years of age, then three
months in the winter until fourteen. He subsequently attended the Springville
Academy I three terms, and taught school three winters. He commenced surveying
land and roads in the spring of 1831 and. did all of the surveying of roads
in the town of Ashford, Cattaraugus Co., for several years. In 1833 he
ran the first road up the Thatcher Brook from Gowanda to
ORSON COCHRAN PHOTO INSERT
Dayton Summit, and surveyed several farms there; it was then almost
a. wilderness. He was married to Adaline A. Angle, Dec. 15, 1836, who was
born at Glen Falls, N. Y., Nov. 22,1817; she was the daughter of William
Angle, of Amsterdam, Holland, and Margaret (Sullivan) Angle. In 1837 they
commenced keeping house three miles west of Springville; cleared up fifteen
acres of wild land, sold out in 1839, and moved into Otto in April, 1840.
He was elected justice of the peace in 1850, to fill a vacancy, and has
served seven full terms since. . He was elected town superintendent of
common schools in 1853, and served until the office was abolished.
His family consisted of six children, -Samuel D., born Nov. 4, 1838,
graduated at the State Normal School in 1860, and taught school five years
as principal of a high school in Mamaroneck, Westchester Co., N. Y.; died
Sept. 4, 1865. Catharine H., born Dec. 26, 1840; married L. R. Newman,
Feb. 5, 1862; died Oct. 26, 1865. William H., born Jan. 25, 1843; enlisted,
in September, 1861, in the Ellsworth Regiment for three years; wounded
at Fredericksburg by a ball through the foot. As soon as able, he was put
into the commissary department as clerk, and remained in the war office
until 1866. He then resigned his post and went to Grand Rapids, Wis., where
he is now the cashier of the First National Bank of that place. Joseph
Wilber, born April 8, 1845; enlisted in the army in 1863, and served until
the close of the Rebellion; studied law for a profession, and is now a
practicing attorney in Grand Rapids, Wis. Emma F., born Aug. 12,1852; married,
Jan. 22, 1873, to George C. Dewey; resides in Otto, Cattaraugus Co., N.
Y. Anna. F., born Oct. 21, 1855; married., Aug. 1, 1871, to Benjamin I.
Slingerland, and resides in Otto, Cattaraugus Co., N. Y.
Samuel Cochran, the father of the above, was born in the State of Vermont,
adjoining the State of Massachusetts, in the valley of the Connecticut
River, Jan. 21, 1785; married Catharine Gallup, Nov. 6, 1805.
Catharine Gallup was born Feb. 22, 1787, in the State of Massachusetts,
When married, they moved to Painted Post, Tioga Co., N. Y., and moved
from there, in the winter of 1809, to Springville, Erie Co., N. Y., where
he purchased a farm of one hundred and seventy-five acres. In 1824 he put
up a tavern sign, and kept a public-house from that time until his death,
JOHN NICHOLAS BURGER
was born Oct. 17, 1823, at Weitmes, State of Oberfranken, Kingdom of
Bavaria, of which place his father, Johaunes Burger, was a native, and
where he taught school for over forty years. His mother, whose maiden name
was Elizabeth Degelman, was a native of the town of Drothenreth, in Bavaria.
John N. Burger, after fulfilling the requirements of the law in regard
to service in the army, emigrated to America in the year 1852, landing
in New York City the 14th of June. He went directly to Buffalo, and from
thence to Springville, Erie Co., where for four months he labored upon
a farm. The following fall (Nov. 28, 1852) he went to Ellicottville, at
which place he resided for four years before leaving his native country
he had learned and followed for fourteen years the trade of a weaver; but
in Western New York he found no opportunities for employment in that branch
j he therefore, upon his arrival in this county, decided to learn some
trade which would be likely to be of practical benefit to him in his new
home. He served an apprenticeship to the cabinet-makers' trade, at Ellicottville,
which he followed for the ensuing twelve years. He removed to Otto in 1856,
which has since been his residence.
During the twenty-two years he has been a resident of this town, he
has been variously engaged,-for eight years as a cabinet-maker, thirteen
years as proprietor of a saloon and restaurant, and more recently as an
innkeeper. In March, 1877, he purchased the property in Waverly village,
known as the" Waverly House,"-standing on the site of the first house erected
in the town,-and of which he is the present genial and successful landlord.
Before leaving Germany he was married to his estimable wife (April
27, 1851), Catharine Zeitler, a native of Grafengeheig, Bavaria. To them
have been born five children, John, born June 4,1852, who died on the Atlantic
Ocean, June 11, and was buried at sea; Louisa, born Oct. 27,1855, died
Jan. 8, 1863; Annetta, born Nov. 26, 1857, died Jan. 17, 1863; Frank, born
Sept. 6, 1863 ; and Alexander, born Feb. 8, 1865. The two last named are
living at home with their parents.
The father and mother of Mr. Burger are both deceased, having died
in Bavaria, in the year 1844 and 1859, respectively. Of nine brothers,
sons of Johannes Burger, only three came to America,-John, the subject
of this sketch; Conrad, who emigrated in 1854, and who resides with his
brother John j and Andrew, who came in "1849, and is a furniture-dealer
in Waverly. They all reside in Otto, where Andrew and Conrad settled a
few years after their brother John located in the town.
Sayles Ross was born in the town of Gloucester, R. I.,l April 24, 1792.
At the age of seventeen he removed with his father to Broome Co., N. Y.,
his mother having died some years before. His father being a poor man and
unable to do much for his children, young Ross's educational advantages
were extremely limited,- three months' schooling was the extent of his
privileges in this direction. Broome was then a new country, and his principal
occupation was wood chopping, which he followed after coming to Cattaraugus
County in 1827, where he "articled" fifty acres of land in the northwestern
part of the town of Perrysburg.
Mr. Ross removed to the town of Otto in town
of Otto in 1843, locating on the farms now occupied by his sons, Asa and
Ambrose. He married, in 1817, Mehitabel Cutler, daughter of Francis Cutler,
of Broome Co., N. Y. She was born April 26, 1797, in Plainfield, N. H.
Their family of nine children, six sons and three daughters, was as follows;
Caroline, Reuben, Ira, Asa, Colonel Ambrose, Amanda, Waldo Green, and Charlotte
Rutilla, of who all are living, except Mrs. Amanda Green (wife of Jas.
H. Green, of Otto), who died May 16, 1867. All of the children attained
to years of manhood and womanhood, and save one (Caroline, living in Dunn
Co., Wis.) located on farms in the neighborhood of each other. Ira resides
in Erie County, and Reuben in the town of Persia, this county; all the
rest reside in Otto.
Sayles Ross departed this life Feb. 2, 1871;
his wife passed from earth in the year 1865. Both died in Otto, and were
buried on the homestead farm, in accordance with their previous expressed
wishes in that regard.
Asa and Ambrose reside on the old home farm, a view of which,
together with their portraits, is given herewith.
The first cheese-factory operated by Asa and C. A. Ross was started
in 1872, since which they have purchased two others, located on the main
road from Waverly to Zoar. They are very extensive operators in this branch
of business, and active, enterprising men.
Asa Ross was elected supervisor for the town
of Otto, in 1878, upon the, Democratic ticket. His
election in a strongly Republican town attests hid popularity with
his fellowtownsmen. Successful, well-to-do men are both of the brothers,
and hightly esteemed by all.
SYLVESTER M. COX (insert photo)
Sylvester M. Cox was born in the town of Camillus (now Elbridge), Onondaga
Co., N. Y., July 7, 1807. His parents, Edward and Abigail (Mann)
Cox, moved from Derry, Windham Co., Vt., to Onondaga County in an early
day (in 1807), there locating on a farm. In 1824, Edward Cox made a journey
to the West, prospecting, and four years later removed with his family
to Cattaraugus County. His son Sylvester, however, preceded him, settling
in the town of Otto, near Waverly, March 4,1825.
Sylvester's mother was a native of New Hampshire.
She died in 1858, at Niles, Mich., to which place the family removed in
the fall of 1845. After her death, her husband, father of our subject,
returned to Otto, where he died in April 1860, at the residence of his
son. Of their family of thirteen children, nine lived to adult age and
married, but only two now reside in this county, -Sylvester M. and Emily
Angeline, who is the wife of Pherson Ward, of Great Valley. The others
are widely scattered, residing in Illinois, Iowa, California, and other
8tatcs of the Union; and one died in Michigan, in 1876. Nearly all of the
sons were farmers.
Mr. Cox's early life was spent in farming. He helped to clear up the
land, and assisted in cutting the roads of that vicinity. There were then
no barns, and the houses were but shanties covered with basswood logs.
When he came to Otto its population was small and scattered. He well remembers
the first town-meeting he attended in the town, then a large district compared
with its present area. It was in 1825, and he does not think there were
fifty voters in the town, although at that meeting about five hundred votes
were cast. The ballots were deposited in hats in lieu of ballot boxes,
and as the inspectors of the election were not very well posted as to their
duties and the requirements of the law, they allowed each person present,
young and old, to not only vote, but to vote as often as they pleased,
one young man of seventeen insisting on a vote for each year of his age!
But those were primitive days. He had few opportunities fur procuring an
education, most of his knowledge having been acquired by self-culture since
the days of his boyhood. Besides working at farming, in the earlier portion
of his life he was engaged in blacksmithing, and for a time worked as a
moulder in a foundry; but the pursuit of agriculture has mainly engaged
the attention of his life. He owns a number of farms in this county, and
one in the town of Concord, Erie Co. For many years he resided in New Albion,
but after the death of his youngest daughter he took up his abode with
his father-in-law, Judge Scott, at Ellicottville; but he still claims a
residence in the former town, and expects to end his days there.
In 1830 he married Reliance Slaght, a native of Carlisle, Schoharie
Co., N. Y., and whose parents came to Otto in 1829. Of the issue of this
marriage, four children, only one survives, -Sarah M., who married Charles
F. Derby, and lives in the town of Persia. Cornelius died in 1860, Melissa
in 1836, and Vida, wife of Judge Allen D. Scott, in tile winter of 1877.
Mr. Cox was bereft of hi a companion in December, 1865, and subsequently
married Desire Little, who was born in Onondaga Co., N. Y., in January,
Mr. Cox has held several minor town offices both in Otto and New Albion.
In the former he was assessor before the town was divided, and held the
office for ten or more years. He also represented the latter town in the
board of supervisors. His political action has been with the Whig and Republican
parties, and his religious preferences are with the Congregational Church,
of which he is a member. He never had but. one spell of sickness in his
life, and now, in his seventy-first year, and in the enjoyment of good
health and a competency, can review a well-spent life.
JUSTUS SCOTT (insert Photo)
In the history of the town of Danby, Vt., published in the year 1869,
I find as follows:
"Justus Scott was a native of Hartford, Conn., and one of the first
settlers of Wallingford, Vt., where be resided until his death, in about
the year 1817. He was married, about the year 1782, to Edee Greely, who
was born in Waterbury, Conn., in 1765, and died in 1860, aged ninety-four
years and upwards. She was the mother of seven sons and four daughters."
Justus Scott, one of the seven sons above mentioned, now lives in the
town of Otto, in this county, on the farm to which he moved in the year
He was born in the town of 'Wallingford, VT., On the 19th day of March,
1799. Soon after his birth his family removed to Danby, Vt., where Justus
remained with them until the year 1816.
The father was poor, and the family had already become accustomed to
hard work j and each had acquired the habit of providing in a large measure
for his own wants. Facilities for an education in those days were few,
and this family were unable to avail themselves of such as then existed.
Two months, after he was twelve years old, was all that Justus had. And
when he was seventeen years old he and his elder brother-Phinetas-left
home 011 foot, with packs on their backs, to seek their fortunes in " the
far 'West." They traveled sixteen days, and arrived at Springville, in
the county of Eric, in October 1816. Chopping by the job was the first
business engaged in. They cooked their food, and kept" bachelors' hall"
in the woods. Justus soon took an article of a piece of land on the road
from Springville to Ashford, about one mile south of Springville, and in
July, 1817, married Emily Hardy. They commenced housekeeping strictly in
accordance with the plan of the pioneer settlers; the body of a fallen
tree for the rear of the house crotches for the front pillars, covered
with basswood" dug-outs," and the ground for a floor. Here the husband
and wife lived a few weeks until a commodious log house could be built.
Three children were born to them while in this place near Springville:
Justus J. Scott, May 14, 1818, who became a thrifty farmer, and now resides
at Cattaraugus Station, on the Erie Railroad, in the town of New Albion.
John H. Scott, June 12, 1820, who enlisted in the army of the late Rebellion,
and died Oct. 22, 1863, of disease of the heart.
Mary E. Scott, Feb. 15, 1824, and died Jan.
15, 1826 His family experienced the usual hardships and privation: of pioneer
life, and on the 7th day of August, 1828, the household was broken up by
the death of the wife, the father and. the two boys getting on the best
they could Mr. Scott, about this time, became the owner of a span of horses,-a
luxury for those days,-and these horses strayed into Cattaraugus County,
which was then called the Sout1 Woods. There being no roads, Mr. Scott
tracked then: to what was known as the McCluer settlement (now the village
of Franklinville), and found them near Olean Point, fifty or sixty miles
Mr. Scott was married to Selecta A. Darling, March 4, 1830, at Springville.
Mrs. Scott was the daughter 01 Rufus and Pruda Darling, who came into East
Otto in 1825, and settled near Capt. Beach's grist-mill. She u the sister
of the Hon. John P. Darling; now residing at Cattaraugus Station, and Rufus
P. Darling, late of Monroe County, deceased. Allen D. Scott, the eldest
of Mrs. Scott's children, was born at Springville, Jan. 15, 1831: now county
judge of Cattaraugus County. Selecta A., now the wife of Dr. A. L. Dudley,
of East Otto, was born in Otto, Feb. 18, 1833. Clark W., now a farmer residing
in East Otto, was born Jan. 15, 1835. Apoline P., now the wife of Luther
B. Al1ison, was born March 30, 1837. Winfield L., now United States postal
clerk on the Buffalo and Jamestown Railroad, was born Dec. 1,1842. Walter
G. Scott, now station agent at Ashford, on the Rochester and State Line
Railroad, was born Sept. 15, 1850. Lou Eda, now the wife of Chauncy W.
Strickland, was born March 10, 1855.
In March 1831, he bought the interest of Russell D. Gibson in sixty
acres of land in the east part of the town of Otto, and by the untiring
energy of himself and family cleared off and paid for the land, and purchased
more until he became the possessor of five hundred acres of well cultivated
land. Here he remained until 1848 when he removed to Springville, the better
to give his children facilities for an education, and in 1853 returned
to the farm, where he still resides.
Mr. and Mrs. Scott early joined the Methodist Episcopal Church, and
have ever lived consistent Christian Jives, respected by their neighbors,
and loved and honored by their children.