Submitted by PHGS member, Pam Davis
OF THE FIRST AND OLDEST
MR. WIGGIN M. FARRAR is the only survivor of the men who were
here prior to 1818.
HEMAN G. BUTTON, CHESTER
and NATHAN ASHCRAFT, can claim the earliest residence,
having lived here since 1817. The
first framed house in town was erected by WIGGIN M.
FARRAR, in 1821; when
nearly finished, he sold it to J. M. L. BROWN, who completed it.
It stood southeast of the corners in Machias village, on land now owned
OBADIAH BROWN built the first framed barn. It is now owned by JARED A.
McBUZZELL built the first
saw-mill, on the outlet of Lime Lake, in 1820.
The first grist-mill, a small affair with but one run of stone and no
bolting, was established by DANIEL
POTTER in 1823. When Lime Lake burst its boundaries in 1832, and went bowling
down the valley which confines the outlet, this mill was swept from its
foundations, and was replaced by the present mill. G. W. FARRAR owned the first buggy.
SANFORD kept tavern at the
Lake, 1830, and IRA STEVENS at Machias village, 1832.
JEFFERSON opened the first
store, in 1822, at the Lake. JOSEPH KINNE, JR., was the first postmaster. His
office was established at Machias village about 1827. ISAAC CARPENTER of Franklinville, carried the first
mail, on horseback. MISS AMRILLA BROWN taught the first school in the summer of 1820, in a house built by JOHN MOREAN, which was situated on the south part of lot 24.
BOWEN taught the winter following,
and his school was the first which was entitled to school funds.
first school-house was built in 1827, in district No. 1, and was situated about
one mile north of the village. It
was burned in 1830, and an insane man, HENRY
DAVIS, who had been placed there for
safe-keeping through the night, was burned with it. The Free-Will Baptists formed the first religious society,
1818, and REV. HERMAN JENKINS was the first preacher.
DRS. BARBER, KNEELAND,
SHAW were the first physicians to
reside here. NEHEMIAH LOVEWELL was the first surveyor. The
first marriage was that of ELISHA BROWN and the widow MASON, about
BENNETT and OLIVA BROWN the second and BRIGHAM BROWN, son of ELISHA and POLLY MASON, daughter of the widow, the third marriage.
*The above information was obtained from the History of Cattaraugus County, New York by L. H. EVERTS, 1879.
Back To Machias Index
If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact me at:
This page is maintained by the PHGS
| Our Mission
| Email Us | Membership
| News and
Events | Members
Family Pages |
Other PHGS Links | Chat and Meeting Room | Disclaimer |