Submitted by PHGS member Pam Davis

Machias is situated in the northeast part of the town, near the head of Lime Lake and the head-waters of Ischua Creek, and is about 1 ½ miles northwest of the junction of the Buffalo, New York and Philadelphia, and Rochester and State Line Railroads.

    It is built upon a broad plain, is irregularly laid out, and contains 2 churches (Methodist Episcopal and Christian), 1 temperance tavern, 5 stores of general merchandise, 1 hardware store, 1 grocery-store, post-office, district school-house, 2 medical offices, 2 clergymen, 1 watch manufacturing shop, 1 harness-shop, 3 wagon-shops, 3 blacksmith-shops, 2 shoe-shops, 1 cooper-shop, millinery, dress-making, etc., etc., and about 350 inhabitants.  The county house for the care of the indigent and insane of Cattaraugus County is situated one-half mile northeast, and an extensive cheese-factory one half mile west of the village.  The original owners of its site were JOSEPH KINNE and his sons and brothersELISHAand JUDAH BROWN .   The first log house was built, in 1820, by ELISHA BROWN , who soon after converted it into a place of public entertainment.   The first frame house was built by WIGGIN M. FARRAR , in 1821.  The post-office was established about 1827.  STEPHEN HOLMES kept the first store, in 1832.

    In early days it was known as Machias Five Corners, and sometimes as Chickasaw.

    During the days of stages and teaming between Olean and Buffalo it was an important stopping-point for teamsters and travelers.  The resources of “mine host,” IRA STEVENS , as regards rooms and stabling, were very often taxed to the utmost to accommodate his patrons.

The above information was obtained from the History of Cattaraugus County, New York by L. H. EVERTS, 1879.

Back To Machias Index

Back To Cattaraugus County

If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact us at:
Painted Hills

This page is maintained by the PHGS
Last Update February 2, 2020