History of Dayton page 1


By their own efforts they have been successful.

   THE TOWN of Dayton has sent out many noble sons who have been successful and made a mark in life. By industry, economy and perseverance, a goodly number of them have accumulated a competency. These boys were not reared in the lap of luxury. They had nothing but their own exertions and indominatable will to depend upon, and they proved their best capital. The sons of many rich men who begin life with the capital which so many poor young men covet, frequently die beggars. It would probably not be going to far to say that a large majority of such monied individuals either fail outright, or gradually eat up the capital with which they commenced their career. The reason is plain. Brought up in expensive habits, they spend entirely too much. Educated with high notions of personal importance, they will not “stoop” to hard work. Is it not astonishing, therefore, that they are all passed in the race of life by others of less capital, but more energy, thrift and industry? For these virtues, after all, are worth more than money. In fact, they make money, and after it is made it enables the possessor to keep it, which most rich men declare to be more difficult than the making. Dayton is proud of these sons for they are examples of what hard work, perseverance and economy will accomplish. 

     Eugene A. Nash was born near Nashville, ChautauquaCounty, and  March 28, 1837.His great-grandfather on his father’s side was of English descent and served as a soldier in this Revolutionary war from the State of Connecticut. His grandfather, on his father’s side settled in the town of Dayton in 1810 and served on the Board of Supervisors from that town for many years. He had a brother Aaron Nash, killed in battle in the war of 1812 at Black Rock.He had a nephew Oscar Winship, who distinguished himself as an officer of the regular army in the Mexican war.The father of Eugene Nash was born in the town of Dayton in 1811.He went to California in 1849 and died there the same year.Mr. Nash lived on a farm until he was about fourteen or fifteen years of age.He then attended a term of school at Gowanda and a term at Silver Creek.The balance of the time he worked on a farm until he was sixteen years of age, when he went to the state of Wisconsin, taught district schools two terms and worked on a farm when not otherwise employed.He then took a four years’ course in AlbionAcademy in Wisconsin and graduated, standing first in his class.After gradating he taught Latin and mathematics in that academy one year and then received an urgent offer to continue his connection with that institution. He entered the junior class of the classical course of the StateUniversity at Madison, Wis. He next entered the senior class after passing the examination at AlfredUniversity of this state, where he graduated in 1860 in the classical course and received the degree A.B.Being in debt he engaged with L.K. Thatcher in building a book store and in putting in a stock of books.They soon sold the store and stock of books at a small profit, Mr. Nash’s part of which was used in taking a course at the AlbanyLawSchool from which institution he graduated in 1861, receiving the degree of L.L.B. On his graduation he was admitted to the bar.On  August 8, 1861, he enlisted as a private in the 44th N.Y. Vols. Which was also known as the People’s Ellsworth Regiment.Before leaving the rendezvous at Albany he was promoted to the position of second lieutenant and after the battle of Hanover Court House was appointed acting adjutant of his regiment. After the seven days fight in Virginia he was promoted to the rank of captain for gallant and meritorious conduct in battle.For about one year he served as Asst. Inspector General of the Third Brigade, First Division, Fifth Corps.After the battle of the wilderness he commanded his regiment until the battle of BethesdaChurch. He passed Casey’s Board in the spring of 1864 after an extended examination, was commissioned lieutenant Colonel of the United State Colored troops and assigned to the command of the twenty-third United Stated Colored troops.This last command he was unable to assume on account of a wound received after passing the examination and before receiving the commission. He was in every battle in which his regiment was engaged, except when disabled by wounds.He was twice wounded.He served in the army for over three years.After the expiration of his term of service he was offered the colonelcy of a regiment to remain in the army, but was disabled by wound from accepting the same.After the war he received from AlfredUniversity the degree of A.M. He spent the winter of 1865 in the employ of the State, after which he went to Kansas City and resumed the study of the law.He commenced the practice of law at Cattaraugus in 1868 and continued to practice at that place until 1873 when he was elected county clerk and removed to Little Valley.While practicing at Cattaraugus, H.M. Herrick studied law with him and after his admission they formed a co-partnership which continued until Mr. Nash removed to the County seat. After the expiration of his term he formed a partnership with C.Z. Lincoln for the practice of law which continued until the later part of the year 1885.A year afterwards he formed a partnership with Burdette A. Rich and later John M. Willson was taken into the firm, the new partnership being known as Nash, Rich & Willson.Colonel Nash was a member of Assembly from the second district of Cattaraugus in 1884-1885 and the latter year was a member of the Judiciary Committee.He was a member of the Board of Supervisors for eighteen years, four from New Albion and fourteen from Little Valley. He married Agie C. Clark of Perrysburg. Colonel Nash has taken an active interest in military affairs since the war and in everything that tends to benefit the “old soldiers.”He was the chairman of the commission to build the CountyClerk’s office and is at present the attorney for the Seneca Nation of Indians. 


   Luther Allen Sr. came to the town of Dayton about the year 1818 and resided here most of the time until decease,  Feb. 20, 147. At his decease he left two sons and one daughter.He was twice married; the first time to Huldah Benedict who was the mother of two of his children and who died in 1837.He was married the second time in 1840 and by this second wife was born Luther Allen, the subject of this sketch.He was born at Gowanda,  July 20, 1846. His father died in February 1847, when the son was burn seven months old.His mother Lois (Leland) Allen died but a few years afterward. He was cared for by his sister and brother and resided with his brother, N.M. Allen and with his sister until he was about sixteen years of age, when he removed to Milwaukee and became interested in the Railroad business.Sometime before he attained his majority he became the station agent at Racine, Wis., from which place he went to Chicago in the employ of the L.S. & M.S.R.R. and was soon promoted to the position of traveling auditor of that road.After some years service with them he accepted the position of auditor of the Northern pacific which he held until the completion of that road when he resigned to accept a similar position with the Toledo, Wabash and Western. After remaining there for some years he engaged in the banking business at Cleveland, Ohio, where he was married and where he still resides. He has also been the superintendent of a railroad in Michigan and latterly has been one of the principle officers of the Globe Iron Works at Cleveland, Ohio, which company has been engaged in the construction of steamships and has built some of the largest and finest on the lakes.Mr. Allen is now engaged in the construction of a railroad ion northern Ohio. He has held many important and responsible positions among which is the Presidency of the Chamber of Commerce of Cleveland, Ohio.Eight years ago he was elected on the republican ticket as one of the electors for the state of Ohio. President McKinley being elected on the same ticket as an elector. Mr. Allen is a man of extraordinary business ability and a man of great energy and activity.He is universally respected and honored by all who are favored by his acquaintance. 


   Fenton Marion Parke, son of Andrew G. and Mary D. (Hall) Parke, was born in Leon, N.Y.,  September 21, 1866.He received his education in the public school at Wesley, and at Chamberlain Institute, Randolph, from which school he graduated in 1888. Al his time except while in Chamberlain Institute was spent on his father’s farm, until he was of age. He taught his home school from 1888 to 1889. During the latter summer he studied at Chautauqua, and taught as principal of the Village school at Leon, 1889 and in June 1890, he entered upon the study of law in the office of Messrs. Henderson & Wentworth, at Randolph, where he remained until fall, when he accepted a position as instructor of the Commercial Department at his old school, Chamberlain Institute.Here he taught and continued law studies.At the close of the year he went to Buffalo and entered the office of Judge Hammond, preparatory to a law school course.Before the fall opening of the law school, his health, which had been very poor from boyhood and during all his school career, became completely impaired; after a serious illness he was obliged to abandon his studies and seek more active business.He soon became associated in 1892, with Kingley, and helped build up one of the largest real estate, loan and fire insurance businesses in Buffalo, making a specialty of high-class business, residence and manufacturing properties.He has been very successful and has succeeded in accumulating a good property. Most young who go from the country to the city are unable to stand the glare of the electric lights, fall in with bad associates, become dissipated and soon drop out of sight. Such has not been the case with Mr. Parke, his associates have been good and he has a large acquaintance among a good class of Buffalo’s business and professional men.He is much interested in educational, philanthropic and church matters, and has done considerable along these lines in his adopted city.  PROF. GEORGE E. WALLER

   A man whose life has not only been one of usefulness and educational activity, but of genial, quiet manner and kindly deeds I Prof. G.E. Waller, a prominent and highly respected citizen of Little Valley, N.Y.He was born  November 21, 1860, in the town of Hartford, Wash.Co., N.Y.When six years of age he moved with his parents to the town of  Dayton, locating at Wesley.He was educated at Houghton Seminary, AlleganyCounty, after which he began teaching and has had experience in teaching from the district school to the high school.He taught his first term of school on Wells hill, in the town of Leon in 1880-1881, after which he spent a considerable time in attending school.Following this he taught at Wesley and Perrysburg, he was principal of DaytonUnionSchool from 1889 to 1892.In September, 1892, he went to Little Valley as principle of the school in that town. When he took charge of the school there it was a union school employing four teachers.In 1895 the school was admitted to the University of the State of New York, with the rank of senior grade; in 1897 it was raised to the rank of High School and employed seven teachers. On  April 7, 1899, he resigned his position as principal of that school to accept the appointment of School Commissioner of the newly created Third Commissioner District of Cattaraugus County.In November 1899, he was elected to the same office, which he now acceptably and creditably holds.Prof. Waller married  August 12, 1891, Lottie W. Graves, who is also a teacher of ability.They have one child Harold Graves, born  October 7, 1895.Prof. Waller has always labored faithfully and efficiently in the advancement of education. 


   Charles Hull Ewing was born  July 11, 1868, at Randolph, N.Y. He is the son of Robert Finley Ewing, the founder of the village of South Dayton, and Aurelia (Culver) Ewing. He lived in Randolph until he was eight years of age, when his father moved to South Dayton.His boyhood was spent here and his early schooling was received here and in Cleveland, Ohio.He prepared for college at Oberlin, Ohio, and graduated from YaleUniversity in the class of 1893, where he received a Phi Beta Kappa appointment for excellence in scholarship.After finishing his schooling he spent two years in manufacturing in the lumber regions of Mississippi, and since 1896 has been engaged in the real estate and loan business in Chicago, Illinois.He is an exceptionally bright young man and has been very successful. 


 Horace H. Hubbard was born at Dayton, near where the village of South Dayton now stands, in the year 1846. He is the oldest son of Philander W. and Jane (Newcomb) Hubbard and lived with his parents and worked on the farm until he was seventeen years of age attending the common schools of the town when he could be spared from farm work.He then attended AlfredUniversity at Alfred, N.Y., after which he clerked for about two years in the general store at Perrysburg, N.Y.He next went to Buffalo to accept a position as invoice and shipping clerk in the Buffalo Union Iron Works and remained with them for about two years.After leaving the Iron Works he married and removed to Almo, Michigan, where he farmed for eight years.From there he removed to Dayton and was employed in a saw mill and at the carpenter’s trade until about 1886, when he again went west and entered the service of the Northern Pacific Ry. Co., working on telegraph construction until the spring of 1888 and then as clerk of a land examination party during that summer. In the fall of 1888 he located at Cheney, Washington, and purchased a book, stationery and fruit store there which he owned for about ten years. In June, 1898 he went to Spokane, Washington, and purchased a grocery store which he conducted until the fall of that year when he was elected Auditor of Spokane County on the Republican ticket.While in Cheney he held a leading position in the affairs of that city, being a member of the city council two years and mayor one year.He also has been prominent and active in the politics of the county and state and has been a delegate to many state and local conventions.Mr. Hubbard has filled the office of Auditor satisfactorily to the people and in November 1900, was elected for a second term. He owns a nice home which he has built since going to Spokane at   2004 Sharp Avenue   where he now resides, surrounded by the comforts of life.He has numerous mining interests which are located in the Colville Reservation, Wash., in the Trout Lake Country, B.C.and in the Couer D. Alene District, Idaho. These properties are becoming very valuable.Mr. Hubbard is a member of the F.& A.M., Red Men, Junior Order of American Mechanics, Eastern Star and is also a member of the Chamber of Commerce of Spokane, Washington.Mr. Hubbard was married in Dayton,  February 8, 1868 to Miss Adell Neare, daughter of Charles Neare.They have three children, Clarence G., who is a passenger conductor on the Northern Pacific Ry., and now resides in Spokane; Edith D., wife of Marshall M. Taylor, a merchant of Wallace, Idaho, and Rollin C., who is Deputy County Auditor and resides with his parents. 


   Irving R. Leonard was born in the town of Dayton, September 3, 1853, and is the only son of Joseph N. and Maryette Leonard.His life till early manhood was spent on the farm, for which he still retains a liking.He received his education at the district school and the Forestville Academy, and for several terms was a school teacher, after which he began the study of law in the office of Allen & Thrasher at Dayton, and was admitted to the bar at Rochester in October, 1877.For the past 22 years he has practiced at Gowanda.For a time he was a partner of Hon. J.M. Congdon, district attorney; later of O.D. Sprague, clerk of the board of supervisors; is now and has been for the past 111 years partner of Hon. W.S. Thrasher, county judge, Mr. Thrasher living at Dayton and Mr. Leonard at Gowanda.He was never candidate for or held office other than that of local character. Was president of the village of Gowanda of three terms, and is now serving his third term as supervisor of the town of Persia, which includes a part of the village of Gowanda. He was married  June 21, 1882, to Emma M. Schaack of Gowanda. They have one child, John, born  November 21, 1892. 


   George E. Merrill, the present popular and efficient cashier of the Bank of Holland of Holland, N.Y., was born  December 6, 1866, at Northeast, Pa. He is a son of Edward A. and Margaret (Marshall) Merrill, and a grandson of Heman Merrill, an early settler of the town of Dayton (Pioneer Residents).When he was two years of age his father died leaving his mother with four small children and in the most stringent of circumstances.His mother taught in the schools of Northeast for five years during which time her children were living with relatives.In 1875 they moved to Dayton and established a home.Mrs. Merrill continued to teach and through her efforts her son Geo. E was kept in school atDayton as much as possible and afterwards attended the Fredonia Normal for one year. When seventeen years of age he taught a district school for one winter after which he went to work for the Erie R.R. Co. at Dayton, as baggage man. Here he remained for one year and then found employment for three years in the express office of the Erie Express Co., (afterwards the Wells Fargo Express Co.) at Bradford and Hornellsville. He then went into his uncle’s office (N.M. Allen) at Dayton with the intention of studying law, but instead worked into the banking business. When Mr. Allen decided to close up his active banking business, Mr. Merrill was offered a position in the Bank of Cattaraugus which he accepted, and filled for three years.In 1893, when the Bank of Holland was being organized, the position of Cashier was offered to him if he would accept and complete the organization which he did and he has remained there since. Mr. Merrill is a young man of great energy, careful habits, and marked business ability. He possesses many good qualities and enjoys the esteem and respect of his wife circle of acquaintances. He married in 1894, Abbie E. Lattin of Cattaraugus, and they have one daughter, born in 1898. In speaking of his career, Mr. Merrill said: “What little success in life that has come to me is due almost entirely to the efforts and influence of my mother, one of the noblest and most self-sacrificing women that ever lived.” 


   Glenn A. Alden of Jamestown is one of the representative self-made men of Western New York, a man of good judgment, of remarkable energy, and strong will, but generous and kind with all and ever ready to assist in whatever would benefit his city and his fellows.He is a son of David S. and Delana (Hubbard) Alden (See Cottage Section) and was born  December 20, 1863, at Cottage, N.Y. Mr. Alden’s education was limited. He began life by working around among the farmers and cutting wood.When seventeen years of age, he went to  Duke Center,  Pa. and began clerking for Joseph Randall, where he remained for four months. He then went to Olean and found employment in his uncle’s, J.B. Alden’s store, where he remained for one year.He then accepted a position as a traveling salesman for Park & Parker of the Fredonia Shirt Co., selling shirts, his territory being the state of Ohio. He continued at this for about six months when he was induced by the same parties to sell the rock washer machine made by them.In company C.D. Dailey of Nashville, they took a number of the machines and went to Canada. This venture was a total failure and Mr. Alden lost his all.Not disheartened, nor discouraged, he accepted a position with Damsville & Sillesky of Lockport, selling shirts.He remained with them for six years when he firm dissolved, Mr. Damsville retiring, since that time Mr. Alden has been the faithful and energetic salesman of Daniel R. Sillesky & Co., makers of custom shirts, Lockport, N.Y. He has as his territory the State of Ohio. Mr. Alden owns the old homestead at Cottage, a farm of 203 acres, on which are good buildings. He employs a number of people there the year round.He also owns 75 acres of land at Fair Plain.He has a fine residence at   201 Lake View Avenue , Jamestown , and in this beautiful and pleasant home he and his estimable wife delight to entertain and welcome their friends, whose number include many who are prominent in business and social life.Mr. Alden married  December 6, 1888, Alta J. Faulkiner, of Hamlet, N.Y. Their children are: Delana T., born  November 3, 1892 and Albert Glenn, born   November 17, 1897. Mr. Alden’s life is one worthy of study, and indicates what can be done by perseverance, courage and energy. 


   Milan J. Brown was born in the town of Villenova, October 31, 1868. There he lived the life of the ordinary farm boy for several years, when the family moved to Westfield. A year later they returned, and shortly after the Buffalo and Jamestown R.R. was built the family moved to South Dayton where the home is still occupied by the widowed mother. When about fourteen years old, Mr. Brown entered the office of the Pine Valley News as an apprentice and a year or two later, when Chas. J. Shults moved the office to Cherry Creek and consolidated it with the Monitor of that place, he went with the paper.About two years later he went south, through Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee to satisfy the desire for travel, working at his trade in different places, and on his return a few months later he went to Chicago, where he worked for two years in the office of the Prarie Farmer, the American Contractor and Druggists’ Gazette. He went back to the Cherry Creek News on his return and after a few months, went to Arcade to take the foremanship of the Leader, then edited by Frank P. Hulette. After a year and a half with the Leader he returned to Cherry Creek, but being possessed with that uneasy disposition contagious with printers, he went to Brookfield, N.Y., where he worked several months on the Courier. Returning again to Cherry Creek, he shortly after went to East Randolph where he worked several months on the Enterprise, from there to Niagara Falls, where he was foreman of the Press office, and from there he again returned to East Randolph. In August 1898 he was married to Alma C. Covert of East Randolph, and the following fall he left the office and passed the winter on the farm of his wife’s parents. In the spring of ’94 he went to Clay City, Ky. To purchase the Chronicle, but the roughness of Eastern Kentucky deterred him from the contemplated purchase, and after a brief trip in Tennessee he returned to East Randolph and in July of ’94 he went to Little Valley and founded the Spy.Altho’ stared in the face of the financial panic of that period and on the heels of two former newspaper failures in that place, yet the paper was a success from start.Having a natural aptitude for politics he was soon associated with many of the leading politicians of the county and the Spy was soon considered one of the factors in western New York politics, and his original expressions and peculiar style of writing won him much favorable newspaper comment and many press quotations.June 14, 1898, just four years to a day from the time he went to Little Valley, he was appointed postmaster of that place, which office he sill holds and which pays an annual salary of $1,700.In February, 1899, finding the work of the two offices too great, he sold the Spy to Arthur J. Salisbury and the name was changed to the Herald. Since this time he has given his personal attention to the duties of the post-office, yet in the meantime devoting considerable time I special writing for the New York Journal, Buffalo Courier and Olean Times. He is a member of Arion Lodge, F.& A.M. at Little Valley, and of Salamanca Chapter266, R.A.M.He has one son, Hart, who was born in Little Valley  January 12, 1895. 


   William S. Wickham, a son of John and Cynthia (Shults) Wickham, was born  May 21, 1859. He commenced his business career with his father, who had valuable and diversified interests at South Dayton, where he remained most of the time until about 1885, when he went to Salamanca and embarked in the lumber and wood-working business, which business he now successfully conducts.On  December 5, 1881 he married Susie D. Smith, a daughter of Marvin E. and Roba (Ames) Smith of South Dayton.Mr. Wickham is a social and a fraternal companion, being a mason in several bodies. He is a successful business man and a popular citizen of the ReservationCity. 


   The world is full of men who have achieved success with the assistance of parents, relatives and friends, but a self-made man, one thrown upon his own resources at a tender age, to whom the world can point, before his forty-second year is reached, and say, “there is a successful man,” is indeed rare.Such a man is the one whose name heads this sketch.Mr. Benton was born  October 25, 1859, at Cottage.In august, 1874 he went to Gowanda and there learned the marble and granite trade of Farnham & Taylor, remaining with them for six years.On  March 1, 1883, he moved to Cherry Creek, and embarked in the marble and granite business on a large scale. Many of the handsome monuments and tombstones of his are to be seen throughout Western New York, notably among these are the soldiers’ monuments at Cherry Creek, Portland and Randolph, which are greatly admired for their artistic beauty.Mr. Benton is a good business man, knows how to do business and how to make business friends.At Cherry Creek he was elected as one of the first trustees of the village, he has done much to help build up that town, and is one of its most progressive and substantial citizens.On  June 20, 1883 he married Nettie Tanner, daughter of Revilo N. and Jane (Wilcox) Tanner, who was born  June 12, 1864.They have two children, Erie R, born  August 19, 1884 and Merle J., born  February 21, 1895. From a small beginning he has risen, thrust aside the barriers and today is a solid man, commanding the respect of all.John Benton (father) was born  March 1, 1824, near Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England. He came to America when 22 years of age, settling at Albany, where he remained until 1854, when he came to Dayton, where he died October 28, 1893, at Cottage.He married February 24, 1847, Ann Hugett, who was born in Kent, England, March 3, 1821, coming to America when six years of age, now residing at Cottage. Their children were: Wm. M., born March 17, 1849, he married first Addie Taylor, second Mary Hoffman, and they reside at Cedar Falls, Iowa; Mary Jane, born June 4, 1851, she died July 28, 1878; Susan, born September 12, 1853, she married Lawrence Schrott, and reside at Gowanda; Frances born April 4, 1856, she married August Beebe, and they reside at Persia; Isaac S., (subject); Edward, born January 21, 1862, he married Helen Newcomb and resides at Cottage; Mark, born July 20, 1866, he married Nola Studley and they reside at Gowanda. 


   Among the prominent business men of the city of Jamestown, John B. Alden stands in the first rank.He is a son of Israel H. and Mary (Hooker) Alden, (see Cottage Section) and was born  October 16, 1852, in the town of Dayton. He was reared at Cottage, received his education at the JamestownHigh School and at the MeadvilleBusinessCollege. He began his active career by clerking for Lammers & Alden, at Petroleum Center, Pa., where he remained one year when he accepted a position with Suggart & Starr, at Titusville, Pa. He then embarked in the clothing business at St. Petersburg, Pa., conducting a branch store at Edenburg, Pa. These stores he successfully conducted for several years when he sold and went to Franklin, Pa.He remained there for about six months when he went to Olean and engaged in the clothing business on quite an extensive scale, having branch stores at Jamestown, Bradford, Pa. and Minneapolis, Minn.He went to Jamestown in 1887, and is now doing a very profitable business at   219 Main Street   of that city. He carries everything in the line of clothing, gents’ furnishing, hats, caps, trunks, etc., etc. Mr. Alden married Carrie A. Ball of Fredonia.Their children are Mary Dale, born January 26, 1877; Anna Howard, born January 26, 1879, she married December 12, 1900, A.M. Briggs, and they reside in Chicago; Lizzie Haywood, born August 7, 1886, she died July 15, 1899.Mr. Alden’s career has been one of success.Starting in life without a dollar he has gradually ascended the scale until now he possesses all the material wealth that one could reasonably desire.  MRS. IDA W. WHEELER

   Residents of South Dayton will recall the subject of the portrait printed here as Mrs. Ida Worden Wheeler.For a period of about 18 months she was a resident of that village. In that length of time Mrs. Wheeler made many warm friends who followed her later career with interest and who sincerely mourned her death, which occurred at a comparatively early period when her remarkable talents had won recognition and were in the first stages of their bloom.During their stay in South Dayton, Mrs. Wheeler often assisted her husband in his editorial work on the pine Valley News.She created and maintained a column of impersonal gossip under the caption of “Timothy Tramp.”It was a feature of the News and won for that paper and its gifted writer much commendation. After her departure from South Dayton, Mrs. Wheeler returned with her husband to Buffalo. There she began a literary career which was continued up to the time she was stricken with an illness which defied medical aid and proved fatal.Verse of a high order of excellence and prose of extreme merit flowed from her pen, and found welcome places in the leading magazines and higher classes of newspapers. For several seasons in succession Mrs. Wheeler represented the Buffalo Express at Lilly Dale. Thorough in her methods and conscientious to a marked degree, she wrote of affairs in that unique resort as she found them.Her exposures of the chicanery practiced there by some of the so-called spiritual mediums created a great sensation and brought down on her head a storm of fury from those who suffered thereby.At the risk of her life, and the sacrifice of her health, Mrs. Wheeler fought the fight until some of the most bold and conscienceless of the gang that infested the resort were compelled to flee from the grounds.At periods when not engaged in newspaper work she turned her attention to fiction and produced a number of short stories which were published in magazines. She made a specialty of interviewing well known writers, and in this was extremely successful. The most ambitious work of her pen was a volume printed in 1896 by the Arena Company of Boston, entitled, “Siegfried the Mystic.” It was primarily a novel, but embodied occult experiences.This book earned her prominence in circles interested along the lines it touched on. It also brought her many letters of commendation penned by those whose hearts it touched. Mrs. Wheeler was born in NiagaraCounty in 1857. She passed away in 1894. Her memory is held in loving regard by all whose privilege it was to know her intimately.  Frank J. Wheeler was born in Niagara County, N.Y., in July 1854.He learned the printers trade in every department at Lockport, N.Y., after which he went to Buffalo and found employment on the Courier where he remained until 1883 when he went to South Dayton and purchased the Pine Valley News, (see press at South Dayton).Returning to Buffalo he was engaged as proof reader in the Times office, which position he filled for about five years.For the past eleven years he has been state editor of that paper. This position he most creditably fills, his department being a leading feature of that paper. Mr. Wheeler is an exceptionally good writer, a newspaper man of uncommon ability, and his writings is a source of much help to country editors in the territory contiguous to Buffalo. 


   Norman S. Thrasher was born at Dayton,  August 3, 1870. His father, Hon. W.S. Thrasher came to the town of Dayton from New Hampshire in 1868, and in 1869 married Mary, daughter of Hon. Norman M. and Huldah (Merrill) Allen.His early life was spent at Dayton, where he remained and attended school until he was about seventeen years of age, when he entered the Normal School at Fredonia and attended there for a year and a half.In 1889 he was appointed to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and at once entered that institution.He remained there for about a year when he was obliged to resign on account of poor health.After remaining at home for about a year to regain his health, he went to New Haven, Conn.Where he was employed on one of the electric car lines of that city and also in the office of the Mutual Life Insurance Company of  New York. In 1892 he went to Cleveland, Ohio, and for a time was employed on one of the car lines there.Later he entered the office of the Globe Iron Works of that city and remained with them in the engineer’s office, and later in the purchasing department until the company was merged in the AmericanShipBuilding company with headquarters at Cleveland. In January, 1900, he was appointed purchasing agent of that company, having risen to that position by a series of promotions, due to his ability and foresight as a business man, and he still fills that position.In 1894 he was married to Leva M., daughter of John and Philenda (Markham) Wallace of Markham, N.Y. At the present time their home is at   21 Norton Street , Cleveland, Ohio . 


    Everand A. Hayes the subject of this sketch was born in Vermont, September 24, 1850 and is entirely a self-made man.His first work in Dayton was that of teaching school and it was successful as many now living can testify. During the time he was teaching, Mr. Hayes studied law in the office of Allen & Thrasher and was admitted to the bar as a lawyer in June 1877.In 1884 he went to Buffalo, N.Y., where he now holds rank as one of ablest advocates in that city. He has been the leading counsel for the defense in several important capital cases and is know far and near as one of the most eloquent pleaders in western New York. Mr. Hayes has not only gained a high reputation as a lawyer, but he also ranks high as a poet and novelist. Some of his stories have been read from the Atlantic to the Pacific, while his poems possess a sweet and tender harmony that touches the heart.He is genial as May and generous as Autumn and no one ever came to him in distress who left empty handed if he had means to help. Mr. Hayes is a member in high standing in the I.O.O.F., K. of P., and is at the present time the High Chief Ranger of Ancient Order of Foresters in the United States, the very highest office in the gift of that great order. 


  Dear Son-Your letter of the 10th came in the mail today.
  And so you want to marry, and you wonder what we’ll say!
  Well, Joe your mother here and I have read your letter through,
  And she seems to think that I’m the one who’d better lecture you’
  For, though in most affairs, of course, there’s nothing quite so nice
  As a mother’s letter, still it takes a man to give advice.
  Your letter says: “She’s beautiful and handsome as a queen.”
  I hope so, Joe and hope you know just what those two words mean.
  A beautiful form is one which tells of a beautiful soul within;
  A handsome face I one which wears no damning brand of sin;
  Beautiful eyes are those that with the fire of pure thought glow;
  Beautiful lips are those which speak for a truthful heart below;
  The handsomest hands are those not ashamed the Master’s work to do-
  Hands that are patient and brave and kind, gentle and strong and true;
  Beautiful feet are those which go in answer to duty’s call;
  And beautiful shoulders are those which bear their daily burdens all.
  Remember this maxim true, my boy, wherever you choose a wife:
  “The handsomest woman of earth is she who leads the handsomest life.”
  I therefore trust that the woman you wed (if you really love each other)
  May be the handsomest one in the world-excepting one-your mother.
 - F.S. Pixley

  Recollections of Men I Have Known
  By Hon. N. M. Allen

  I first made the acquaintance of Horace Greeley about the year 1854 or 1855. I had prior to that time strong prejudices against his political views and up to that time I had materially differed from him in politics.About that time there was a breaking-up of the old political parties.The Anti-Slavery Whigs, called Woolly-heads, of which Mr. Greeley was one, uniting with the Anti-Slavery Democrats, who were known as Barn Burners, and together forming the Republican party, which party Mr. Greeley was one of the foremost in organizing. To his paper the Tribune and to his own personal influence the Republican party of New York and of the country at large is indebted for its rapid growth as a political party as much as to any other one person, living or dead. When the first Republican Convention met in Cattaraugus County, I was honored with the nomination to the office of Superintendent of Poor to which I was elected by a plurality of votes, the Democratic and the American or know-nothing parties each having a candidate. I took office as superintendent January 1, 1855, and held it for two years and then resigned it to accept the office of School Commissioner.My full term would have been three years.Sometime about the first of April, 1855, I was called upon by the Overseer of the Poor of the town of Persia to come to this place and see to a family of poor people consisting of a man, a woman and three children, who were tramping through the country in the mud and could go no farther and had brought up at the house of Mr. Eaton the Overseer.In the discharge of my duty I went to see what was needed to be done for their relief and went with Mr. Eaton to his house where they were.Addressing the man, I asked him his name, to which he replied that his name was Parker Greeley.And in a half jocose manner I asked if he was any relation to Horace Greeley? He replied that he was an uncle to Horace and that he had been west and was trying to work his way back east to the state of Vermont. I gave little credence to his statement and after making arrangements for the transportation of the whole family to Machias I came home, thinking that there might possibly be some truth about the man’s statement, I addressed a personal letter to Horace Greeley at New York, describing this man and his family and telling him that the man claimed him as his nephew and saying to him that while I gave little credence to the statement I still thought best to write him so that if the family ere what they claimed to be, that he might, if he felt so disposed, aid them in their helpless condition.To this letter addressed to Mr. Greeley I received a reply as follows: 

    New York, April, . . .1855.
  N.M. Allen, Esq.,
   Supt. Of the Poor, Catt. Co., N.Y.
  DEAR SIR: - 
   Your letter of late date received.The man you write about is my uncle.He is my father’s youngest brother.He is an inveterate vagrant, drunkard and liar for whom no one can do anything. I have done very much for him in times that are past, but it was wrong to do it.It is contrary to the great law of nature that if a man won’t work he should not eat.I wish you would bind out the children to good people and draw on me at once for $50 with which to clothe them.For the old people I will do nothing.They deserve nothing. Let them work for a living as I do and they can take care of themselves.
  Horace Greeley.
   About a month afterward I was at Machias and saw Parker Greeley and his family again and told him of the letter that I had written to Horace Greeley on his account and told him that I had received a reply and then asked him if he would like to hear it read.He wanted to know at once if Horace had sent him anything.I told him that he had not and then read him the letter I had received. He appeared very angry and said he was going to visit all of the Democratic newspaper offices in the country and tell them how Horace Greeley used his relatives.I suggested that he take a copy of the letter and show it at the offices which he visited but he declined.He asked me what I was going to do with his children and I told him that I was going to bind them out to good people as soon as I could find good places for them. A night or two after he absconded with his wife and children and I heard from him some time after in an adjoining county but never after that.  I was delegate from CattaraugusCounty to the Republican State Convention held in Syracuse, in the fall of ’55, and again met Horace Greeley there. That convention was made up of men of as pure political purposes as ever assembled in the state of New York.It was made up of men of eminence who were unselfishly devoting their best efforts to build up a party whose corner stone should be Universal Liberty and Non-Extension of Slavery.No man’s opinion was sought after more or had greater weight in that convention than did that of Mr. Greeley.I met him in New York and at our State Conventions during the years of the rebellion and each utterance of his carried with it great weight in the deliberations of his party.He often held opinions with which I did not agree nor did a large portion of his party agree with his views.He was always five or ten years ahead of his party.He never advocated anything because it was expedient but always because he thought that it was right.He had a greater fund of political information than any other man that I ever knew. In the spring of 1867 he was elected as a member of the constitutional Convention which commenced its sessions on the 4th day of June, 1867.I, too, had the honor of being elected to a seat in that body and met him almost daily through the sessions which lasted nearly nine months.He was always ready to give information to seekers for it when asked by them and served as an encyclopedia for all men of all parties in search of political information.If his duties compelled him to be absent from the sessions of the convention for a day he directed the clerk, in making up his account to deduct his day’s salary for such time as he was away.The law did not require this and I do not think that any other member of the convention made such deductions for his necessary absences. Always desirous of completing the work and reaching a final adjournment, he hated long and tiresome speeches and had no patience with anyone engaged in making them.On one occasion that I recall, a member of the convention who had but little financial ability had been making a long and tiresome speech at the highest pitch his voice could reach upon the question of the State finances.When he sat down at the conclusion of his speech, Mr. Greeley left his own seat, went over to the orator’s desk and in a low tone of voice, to be heard only by a few of us near by, told the orator that he was d---d fool, and returning to his own seat sat once began to write.The orator was deeply offended as he felt that he ought to have been congratulated instead of condemned.He jumped to his feet in great anger and addressing the president of the convention, Hon. Wm. A. Wheeler afterwards the vice-president of the Unite States, stated that he rose to a question of privilege. He was at once recognized and given the opportunity to state his question of privilege, but up to that time evidently had not thought what he would say; he finally stammered out that the gentleman from Westchester had called him a d---d fool.Another member at once jumped to his feet and shouted that the member from Westchester (Mr. Greeley) would probably like to justify.The convention was convulsed with laughter but Mr. Greeley never looked up, seeming to be entirely absorbed with his writing, and the episode ended in roars of laughter.  At one time during the sessions of the convention, a petition was presented headed by the name of Mrs. Greeley, asking that the question of female sufferage might be submitted to a vote of the people and Mr. Greeley was the chairman of the committee on sufferage to whom it was referred.Distinguished advocates of female sufferage, including Miss Anthony and Mrs. Stanton, appeared before the committee at a public hearing held at the capitol and which was largely attended.One of the ladies who had made an able address on that subject asked that anyone who desired her views on any branch of it should ask her questions. A member from northern New York arose and stated that the right of female sufferage had existed theretofore by the constitution of some states or state and he desired to know when, how and why that right had been taken away. The ladies were unable to five any answer to the inquiry and Mr. Greeley was appealed to for information. In answer to the question he made the recital: That at one time in the early history of the country, when the electoral vote was likely and proved to be very closely divided between two parties, it was discovered that the constitution of one of the states was so worded that women might lawfully vote.The party who made the discovery kept it very quiet except among a few of his own partisans who were directed to see to it that where his party was in control of the polls that men of that party should take their wives to the polls and have them vote.The information was circulated extensively enough so that a few hundred women cast their votes at that election and as all the women voted one way there were enough of them to carry the electoral vote of that state and the electoral vote of that state thus determined the result of the election and the president thus elected was known thereafter as the women’s president.When this came to be understood measures were at once taken to amend the constitution of the state by confining the right of sufferage to the male citizens and until comparatively late date women have not the right to vote in any state for presidential electors.  In 1872 Mr. Greeley was nominated by the liberal Republicans who were unfriendly to Gen. Grant’s administration, as a candidate for the Presidency. His nomination was at a later date endorsed by the Democratic party at their convention and so he because the candidate of the Democratic party as well as of a faction of the Republicans, who did not admire Gen. Grant’s administration of public affairs.Mr. Greeley, during the long time that he was editor of the New York Tribune had written many harsh things of the Democratic party, some of which at least were well deserved.The Grant Republican newspapers conducted their campaign by publishing from week to week in their papers what Mr. Greeley had said about the Democratic party and as these things recalled to the minds of the Democrats by their republication caused a large percentage of the Democrats to refuse to vote for him for the Presidency and he was defeated by a large majority of the electoral vote. He was worn out by the canvas and soon after died, universally respected for his great ability, his unswerving integrity and his earnest and life long labor rendered for the poor and oppressed. The last time I saw him was during that campaign.I then met him at the house of a friend in the city of New York in company with Governor Fenton and Whitelaw Ried, who after Mr. Greeley’s nomination became the chief editor of the Tribune during that campaign. The interview then had was a lengthy and protracted one lasting for several hours. Suggestions were made that he should assume certain positions upon certain questions then at issue and to which proposition he declared vehemently that he would rather be defeated for the Presidency than to avow or take any position that would in any way conflict with the convictions of his life.His estimate of various public men who were both for and against him was quite freely given, and what they had done and what they offered to do about his candidacy were talked over quite freely, and I think it would be a matter of great interest to many people to know what he then said and the estimate he then gave of various public men.Some of them are still living and it would be unjust to the memory of Mr. Greeley and of no benefit to anyone now to repeat what he then said in a private conversation. I only know that I left at the close of the interview with the highest opinion of the unflinching, unyielding honesty and purity of his political purposes.When he died I lost a friend that I highly esteemed.The poor, the down trodden and oppressed people of this country lost their best advocate, who unselfishly gave his life’s work in their behalf and in what he deemed to be for their best interests. There are so many incidents of his life which came under my personal observation like those of which I have written that their repetition would almost make a book.I cannot repeat them nor need I. In years yet to come his true position will be known and honored and the labors and victories which he achieved for humanity will be appreciated better than they ever have been heretofore by a thoughtful and grateful people. 


   I first saw Andrew Johnson, afterwards the Vice-President and President of the United States in Washington in 1863, and then listened to a speech by him which he made at a great Union Meeting in the Hall of the House of Representatives. I did not particularly admire the tone of that speech and thought that parts of it were exceedingly coarse. Still I had learned to respect anyone who lived in the south, and who stood up manfully and courageously for the preservation of the Union.Andrew Johnson done that and for that is entitled to respect by Union loving men.At the National Convention of the Republican party in 1864, he was nominated for the Vice-Presidency on the demand of the people that some one from the south whose loyalty to the Union could not be doubted should be placed on the ticket so that the ticket should not be sectional.His election followed and the exhibition which he made at the inaugural of President Lincoln and himself was disgusting to the people who saw and heard him, as it was to the people who read of the proceedings of that inaugural day.When President Lincoln was assassinated everyone feared that Johnson’s administration would be disappointing in the extreme to the people and especially to those who had elevated him to this high position. He started his administration by the declaration that he intended to punish all traitors to the government and all who had been trying to work the overthrow of the constitution. After a little he apparently became dizzy from his high elevation and proceeded to mark out a new line of policy of his own which should represent neither of the great parties of the country and to which the people must come, and “my policy” became the constant harping of the president and of the few who had fawned upon him for the patronage he had to bestow.In order to make the people understand what his policy was he started on a tour of the country which he called swinging round the circle, in which he visited the principle cities of the north and made speeches declaring his intentions and purposes. He was accompanied on this tour by Secretary Seward of the War Department, Secretary Gideon Wells of the Navy Department, General Grant, Admiral Farragut and others, equally distinguished. At the time of the tour I was staying at Albany, engaged with my associate State Assessors, in preparing our report for the State Boar of Equalization and which was shortly to be submitted to them for their approval.On the day that President Johnson arrived at Albany I was invited by Governor Fenton to be present at a reception to be given at the capitol and at his special request I attended.Governor Fenton received the President with a short address of welcome delivered from the steps of the capitol to which the President made a short reply.The Governor then escorted the President to the executive chamber where he presented him to the state officers, myself among the number, and I there had the pleasure of taking the hands of the distinguished men I have mentioned. The reception lasted about an hour after which the President and his Suite retired to the Delevan House where they were to pass the night.As soon as the reception was ended I returned to my room a t the Stanwix and at once resumed my work upon our report as State Assessors.Soon several persons who had attended the reception came in one by one, and the conversation turned upon the President and the reception just closed and what was likely to be said at the speech which it was understood the President was to make that evening.After some discussion one gentleman present said that he could tell a complete expression that the President would use within five minutes of the time he began to speak.A second gentleman declared that that was not possible when the first offered to furnish the wine to the assembled company after the speech if he could not on condition that the second gentleman should do likewise if he was successful in giving the expression correctly.The offer was accepted and I was requested to write the expression which it was said the President would use, and wrote from dictation: “The Humble Individual Who Now Stands Before You.”Soon after we heard a band playing in the direction of the Delevan House and adjourned to hear the President’s speech.A great crowd filled the street and as our party was a little late we were obliged to stop on the outskirts of the crowd. Within two minutes by the watch from the time that the President was introduced he used the expression in alluding to himself as the humble individual, etc.The winner of the wager who stood near me was greatly pleased and laughed in a loud and boisterous manner.The laughter was catching in the crowd and soon a great number of people were laughing although they did not know why.The President became exceedingly angry and used language which was neither dignified nor proper for one holding his high position.Several members of the crowd did likewise and the meeting became boisterous and somewhat turbulent while the President did not seem to make many converts to his new policy.It is needless to say that I did not more work on my report that evening. His administration was a stormy one as the people well remember, and ended by his being hated by all parties of the North and the South.His experiences at Albany were his experiences in almost every city through which he passed but I cannot think that he was ever guilty of infidelity to his country. His violent temper, unguarded expressions and undignified conduct lost him the respect of all classes but there is much that can be said and that should be remembered to his credit. He was for maintaining the Union when surrounded as he was on every hand by those who sought its destruction.His loyalty was undoubted and while his faults were many they are now almost forgotten. 


   My earliest recollections of Abraham Lincoln were derived from the newspapers, which were filled with the discussions of a political character had between Lincoln and Stephen A. Douglas, United States Senator from Illinois. This was prior to Lincoln’s nomination for the Presidency.A senatorial election was approaching in the State of Illinois and the Republican party, organized but a few years previously made Lincoln their candidate for the United States’ Senatorship while Douglas was the candidate of the Democratic party, to succeed himself.A series of joint debates was arraigned and held between these two distinguished men at various places in the State of Illinois, which were attended by great masses of people.There has never been, to my knowledge, so concise and perfect an exposition of the views held by the two great parties of that time as was furnished by these debates.The positions assumed by Lincoln as the representative of the Republican party was opposition to the extension of Slavery into territories of the United States then free. The position of Douglas was that the question of the extension of slavery into those territories should be left to the people living in them at the time of the formation of the State governments and that till that time the slave holders should be protected in those territories in holding slaves.This political debate was a battle of giants. It resulted in the return of Douglas to the Senate but with the popular vote of the State against him. In order to secure his election he was forced to assume the position on the slavery question which divided the Democratic party of the Country and defeated Douglas’ aspirations for the Presidency, for which he was a candidate. I have read and reread that debate with ever increasing interest.It is the ablest presentation of the question of the extension of slavery that was ever made before the people of this country.In the early spring of 1860 a state convention was called in this state to send delegates to the National Convention to nominate the Republican candidate for the Presidency and I was a delegate to this State Convention. William H. Seward was the favorite of the state of New York and had its unanimous delegation in the National Convention, but it was a matter of comment among many of the delegates at that time that if Mr. Seward could not be nominated, then above all others they desired that Abraham Lincoln should receive the nomination.The National Convention nominated Lincoln as its candidate for the Presidency.Douglas was nominated by a divided party as one of the candidates and Breckenridge of Kentucky as the other representative of the Democratic party. It was a memorable contest and one never to be forgotten by anyone who lived and participated in the excitement of that time.The result of the contest is well known.War followed the inauguration of Mr. Lincoln and for four years the greatest war of modern times was waged, resulting in the utter extinction of human slavery in the states composing the GreatRepublic.  In 1863 I was a visitor, in the early winter, at the National capitol and there for the first time I met Abraham Lincoln personally.I visited at the White House in company with the Hon. R.E. Fenton, then member to Congress from this district, and afterwards Governor of this State.In the early part of 1864 I was appointed paymaster in the army by President Lincoln and went to Washington where I remained in the discharge of my duties until the following May. During the time I was in Washington I frequently saw the President leaving the White House leading his little son by the hand and going to the War Department for the evident purpose of consulting with the Secretary of War.In the month of May I resigned my position in the service which I then held, to assume another in connection with the Provost Marshal Department in this Congressional District, which place I held until the fall of 1863,  (this date seems to be wrong) when I was for the first time elected to the State Senate and on January 1st went to Albany. 
   The spring of 1863 was the darkest time of the whole war for the Union cause. While I was at Washington a great Union meeting was held at the capitol which President Lincoln and his Cabinet attended.Speeches were made by several distinguished men among whom were Com. Foote of the Navy and the Hon Andrew Johnson, afterward president of the  United States.At the conclusion of the speeches President Lincoln especially requested that J.E. Murdock, the tragedian, should read a poem called the Oath, and he done so. I here insert a copy of that poem then read: 


  Ye freemen, how long will ye stifle  The vengeance that justice inspires?  With treason how long will ye trifle  And shame the proud name of your sires?  OUT< OUT with the sword and the rifle  In defence of your homes and your fires,  The flag of the old Revolution  Swear firmly to serve, and uphold;  That no treasonous hand of pollution  Shall tarnish one star of its fold!  Swear!  And hard the deep voices replying  From graves where your fathers or lying  “Swear, oh swear.  In this moment who hesitates, barters  The rights which his forefathers won  He forfeits all claims to the charters  Transmitted from sire to son.  KNEEL, KNEEL at the graves of our martyrs  And Swear on your sword and your gun,  Lay up our great oath on an altar  As huge and as strong as Stone Henge  And then with the sword, fire and halter  Sweep down to the fields of revenge.  Swear!  And hard the deep voices replying  From the graves where your fathers are lying,  “Swear, oh swear.” 

  By the tombs of your sires and your brothers,  The host which the traitors have slain,  By the tears of your sisters and mothers,  In secret concealing their pain,  The grief which the heroine smothers  Consuming the heart and the brain, -  By the sigh of the penniless widow,  By the sob of her orphans despair,  By the sob of her orphans despair,  Where they sit in their sorrowful shadow  KNEEL, KNEEL every feeman and swear:  Swear!  And hark the deep voices replying  From graves where your ancestors are lying,  “Swear, oh swear.”  On mounds which are wet with weeping  Where a Nation has bowed to the sod,  Where the noblest of martyrs are sleeping,  Let the winds bear your vengeance abroad,  And your firm oaths be held in the keeping  Of your patriotic hearts and your God  Over Ellsworth, for whom the first tear rose,  While to Baker and Lyon you look –  By Winthrop, a star among heroes,  By the blood of our murdered McCook.  Swear!  And hard the deep voices replying  From graves where your ancestor are lying, “Swear, oh swear. 

   It was the most impressive reading to which I have ever listened and at its conclusion one could not help but feel that he had renewed his allegiance to the government and had in fact taken the oath anew.I distinctly remember a part of the speech of Andrew Johnson; a part which I did not then nor have I since admired.He was speaking in most vindictive terms of the South and what they would lose by the Rebellion.He said many of the leaders had lost their “niggers” and that he had lost his “niggers” too, but had not lost as much as they had for he was not related to his “niggers.” Other parts of his speech were coarse and seemed to me unsuited to so great an occasion.  In April, 1865, while I was still a member of the State Senate, President Lincoln was murdered.That night I had been up until nearly  midnight  for the purpose of accompanying a visiting friend to the railroad station to catch a train west.On returning to my room about  midnight  I met a newspaper friend on the corner of State and Broadway Streets in Albany, and he inquired why I was up so late and I told him and then inquired whether there was any news from the war.He told me that there was nothing except that an hour or two before a telegram had been received saying that President Lincoln had been murdered that evening in Ford’s Theater in Washington but that soon after another dispatch came contradicting the first. I went to my room thinking what would be the condition of the country in case it should prove true. I slept but little during the remainder of the night, arose early and went upon the street, where I found the newsboys already selling the newspapers announcing the assassination of the President.Soon after the streets were crowded with men, women and children, many of them weeping as though they had lost their last friend. It was determined on the meeting of the Senate that day or soon after that a committee should be appointed on the part of the Senate to receive the President’s remains as it was understood that they were to be brought to Albany on their way to the West.I was appointed as one of this committee on the part of the Senate. The committees from the Senate and Assembly crossed the ferry to East Albany to receive the remains which were in charge of General Dix and a military escort. We accompanied them across the river, through Broadway and up   State Street   to the Capitol.It was late in the evening when we arrived.The bells of the city were tolling.Minute guns were being fired and a great concourse of people were in the streets witnessing the solemn pageant.The body was taken to the Capitol and I remained there until nearly morning.Looking out of the windows you might have seen all night long thousands upon thousands of people waiting to look for the last time upon the form of the dead President. The building was opened for the people to enter at about two in the morning and without any cessation, except for a few minutes that day when the Governor and State officers visited the Capitol, two continuous streams of people were passing by to look upon the dead form of the President.At about two in the afternoon it was to be removed to the funeral car on its journey to the west. A procession was formed at the Capitol headed by a body of soldiers to open the way through the crowd of people who filled the streets.The body was placed upon a car drawn by horses beside of which our committees walked. The weeping mourning of the people as we passed through the streets was a scene I never can forget. One incident I remember, which greatly impressed me at the time.Standing as close to the car as she could get was a colored woman plainly but neatly dressed, holding up her little boy and said to him as the car passed: “Look child, look child, he died for you, he died for you, look, child, look!”For nearly four miles the procession passed through the streets of the city until the train was reached which bore his body to the west.  His life and death will neither of them be forgotten as long as the great republic lives and even longer if that may be.So far as I know and believe no wiser, better or greater man ever lived on this earth since He who taught on the shores of deep Gallilee. I am thankful to have lived when he did and shall cherish as long as I live the thought that I saw and knew the great Emancipator who was a martyr to the cause of Liberty and Freedom for all. 


 The ex-governor and ex-senator is dead. He whose courteous manner and kind words I have learned to love is dead and I shall not look upon his like again. I first made his acquaintance in 1852, when he was a candidate for Congress.He was a Democrat as I was and the District was strongly Whig, but he, by his energetic canvas, by his personal appeals, and his pleasant address, succeeded in reversing the large Whig majority and was elected by a small majority to the 33rd Congress.When I first met him we were both on our way to attend a Democratic meeting at Olean which was to be addressed by the Hon. Horatio Seymour, then a candidate for Governor, who spoke to a mass meeting.I was then introduced by Mr. Fenton to Governor Seymour and my acquaintance thus commenced with these two men was continued until their death. At the time when they met one was a candidate for Governor and the other for Congress on the same ticket and both were successful. I suppose that they may have met often after that but the next time that I saw them together was when Governor Seymour was handing over the office of Governor to Governor Fenton who succeeded him on January 1, 1865. At that time they were the candidates of their respective parties and it was at the close of a most exciting political campaign and canvass that Governor Fenton was elected. At the time of his inauguration I was a state senator and was honored with a seat in the capitol near where they stood and when I remembered our first meeting at Olean I found myself asking, “When shall we three meet again?”  From the time when I first met Governor Fenton till the time of his death we carried on a large correspondence.He honored me quite largely with his confidence and often told me his opinions of the public men both in and out of his district and often asked me to go on some mission for him.He enjoyed doing kind acts for me and much of the political preferment which I have had I owe to him and am greatly his debtor for the favors which I have received from him.While he was Governor he tendered me public places that I could not, and did not always accept, but I value the spirit in which they were offered.I sometimes asked him for favors which, for some reason, he could not grant and if at times I was inclined to feel aggrieved because they were not granted, he would frankly tell me why he could not do what I asked of him and would vindicate his own conduct to my entire satisfaction.  In 1868 General Grand was a candidate for President for the first time and Governor Fenton was a candidate for Vice-President under him. I was in the convention which nominated Grant.For five ballots Fenton stood next to the highest among the candidates.But although the great state of New York gave her best efforts for his nomination, Schuyler Colfax became the successful candidate.Governor Fenton came to the office of Governor during the war of the rebellion at a time when large demands for troops with which to give the finishing blows to the war were made upon the state and he came to the position well equipped for the work before him. As a member of Congress he did as much for his constituents in the army or out of it and for soldiers who lived outside of his immediate district as any man in the state.I often saw him in Washington, worn out with his day’s work and then visiting the hospitals to look after the sick and wounded and giving money to the men without means that they might go to their homes and securing them furloughs; sending the dead to their homes that they might be buried by their kindred, and often paying the expenses out of his own means. No soldier ever appealed to him in vain and I believe that he gave away a small fortune to the sick and suffering. I never knew what it was to be charitable till then as I witnessed what he done.  In 1869 he was elected United States Senator over Governor Morgan. This campaign was a battle of giants. Thurlow Weed, up to that time, had always been recognized as the political leader and adviser of the Republican party, and had determined that Governor Morgan should succeed himself to that position.This effort of Weed to retain his political supremacy in the state was the last great political contest of his life.Governor Fenton was successful in the contest and I have reason to believe that Mr. Weed always regretted that he did not make a more earnest opposition to the nomination of Mr. Fenton as Governor at his first nomination.As a political organizer Weed had few equals and no superiors but found his equal if not his superior in this contest where he least expected to find him. I had then and still have a great respect for the name and memory of Thurlow Weed but in that contest I was a private soldier, enlisted under Governor Fenton for the war and I fought under him till he was a victor.The inside and outside incidents of that contest would make a book of itself. In personal magnetism I never knew Governor Fenton’s superior.Men did as he wished them to do and forgot, for the time their own purposes. I recall one incident of an intelligent and excellent man, who once told me that in order to retain his own opinions in the matters wherein he disagreed with Governor Fenton, he was obliged to refrain from his visiting the governor as he was sure to believe with the governor while he was there and lost his own conviction until he was by himself again.There was much truth in what the man said.Fenton was never depressed by defeat nor exalted by victory.He was calm and unmoved when others were deeply affected by passing events. He was always master of himself. He could not be crushed by defeat. But a few days before his death, I spent most of one afternoon with him in connection with some legal business in which he had retained me as his counsel and when we had completed that business we spent about an hour in talking of events of the past in which we had both participated.It was in the room where we then sat where he was stricken and died.A telegram reached me in an eastern city telling me of his death and asking me to act as one of the pall bearers at his funeral. I obeyed that call as though it had come from him and followed his remains to the grave.I have lost many friends but never, outside of the death of some of my own family, has the death of any one affected me so much as did that of the Hon. Reuben E. Fenton. 

  The following is a list of the Taxable Inhabitants of the Town of Dayton together with their post-office address. 

Allen, Daniel B. Otto, N.Y. Brand, D.H. Dayton 
Allen, Pearl S. Wesley Bramer, Henry Bucktooth 
Allen, Hon. Norman M Dayton Buffington, Chas Dayton 
Astry, Henry South Dayton Buckentine, John South Dayton 
Ashdown, James Dayton     
Austin, Samuel Dayton Comstock, David Dayton 
Alden, Glenn A Jamestown Conners, Jerry Dayton 
Alden, David S Cottage Cook, Elisha Hamburg 
Averill, Denton Dayton Coon, Hiram Dayton 
Aldrich, CM South Dayton Coon, Bert Dayton 
Amadon, George South Dayton Coon, James Dayton 
    Coon, Jay South Dayton 
Bailey, George Wesley Coon, Aaron South Dayton 
Bacon, E.H. Wesley Coon, Abraham South Dayton 
Bixby, James E Dayton Champlin, Wm Dayton 
Barker, James South Dayton Cole, Milo Dayton 
Blaisdell, H.R. Dayton Coulson, Albert South Dayton 
Blaisdell, Daniel A Dayton Cromwell, D.M. Dayton 
Blaisdell, F.L. Dayton Casten, John Jr. South Dayton 
Bunce, Jay Dayton Crosby, Wm Cottage 
Blair, C.H. Cottage Curtis, A.F. South Dayton 
Burns, Michael Dayton Childs, M.R. South Dayton 
Bartlett, Eugene Dayton Cookingham, Geo Cottage 
Boys, Jos. W Cherry Creek Cooley, Walter Cottage 
Badgero, Francis M Dayton Casten, John Sr Dayton 
Brookman, Joseph South Dayton Comstock, Emerson Dayton 
Brand, David C Dayton Comstock, Peter Dayton 
Burmaster, Fred South Dayton Crowell, Chas. W Dayton 
Burkhalder, N.W. South Dayton     
Beach, Dermont South Dayton Dexter, Wm. A. South Dayton 
Bassinger, Peter South Dayton Dersey, Jacob South Dayton 
Barrus, O.M. Gowanda Darbee, John A. Cottage 
Bentley, John South Dayton Dennison, John South Dayton 
Beckwith, Wm. South Dayton Derringer, John C South Dayton 
Berwald, Chas South Dayton Dutton, Nelson South Dayton 
Babcock, Chas South Dayton Drogmiller, Chas South Dayton 
Blair, Emmet Jamestown Dorsey, Jos South Dayton 
Benton, Edwin Cottage Dye, Lafayette South Dayton 
Budd, J.W. South Dayton     
Beck, Phillip South Dayton English, Lewis Wesley 
Beardsley, Frank South Dayton English, Oscar Wesley 
Beach, E.F. Silver Creek English, Theo South Dayton 
Brown, Ira Cottage Easton, F.J. Wesley 
Bunce, Nelson Cottage Eggleston, Wm. E. Dayton 
Beaver, Charles South Dayton Erhart, L.A. Dayton 
Button, A.H. Dayton Essex, John South Dayton 
Becker, Clarence Dayton Earl, Merritt Wesley 
Ball, David Cottage Earl, Thos Wesley 
Eno, C.E. Cottage Hooker, S.J. Cottage 
Eddy, G.J. Cottage Hubbard, A.J. South Dayton 
Ewing, Chas. H Chicago, Ill. Hubbard, Wilson South Dayton 
English, Edgar Wesley Hubbard, Wm. Wesley 
Elk, David Dayton Hurd, Frank South Dayton 
    Hurd, Chester South Dayton 
Fuller, Elmer J. Wesley Hale, Eugene A. South Dayton 
Fuller, Henry J. Wesley Hickey, O.S. South Dayton 
Fuller, Edgar Wesley Holman, Lynn South Dayton 
Foster, Harvey Dayton Hines, Fred South Dayton 
Fancher, Alanson Wesley Hulett, A.J.  South Dayton 
Fisher, Chas Dayton Howard, Wm Wesley 
Fisher, J.G. South Dayton Hurlburt, E.C. Wesley 
Fisher, L.R. South Dayton Hubacker, John Wesley 
Fisher, C.W. South Dayton Hackett, Henry South Dayton 
Feltz, John Dayton Hall, Ellsworth Cottage 
Fitzmorris, M Dayton Hall, H.P. South Dayton 
Fancher, G.W. South Dayton     
Falk, Swan South Dayton Ingersoll, C.W. South Dayton 
Frink, Ellery South Dayton Ingersoll, John South Dayton 
Fancher, Miles Dayton Inman, H. Burt Dayton 
Grantier, Chas. Cottage Inman, L.D. Cottage 
Greiner, Phillip Jr. Dayton Isabell, Wm Dayton 
Greiner, William Dayton     
Gregg, A.T. Dayton Judd, Chauncey Wesley 
Gomd, Albert Dayton Judd, Harry Wesley 
Gomd, Elmer D. Dayton James, Marvin Dayton 
Goldthwait, Walter South Dayton Jolls, C. Dayton 
Garnet, Edward Cottage Johnson, G.N. Cottage 
Goodman, Oliver South Dayton Johnson, Floyd R. Cottage 
Gould, Royal South Dayton Johnson, Wm. South Dayton 
Goned, Clark South Dayton Jackett, Clinton South Dayton 
Grantier, Geo. B. Cottage Jolls, J. W. Cottage 
    Johnson, Chas Cottage 
Howard, Albert Wesley Kelsey J. Dayton 
Hall, Adelbert Dayton Keppel, Chas., Jr. South Dayton 
Hall, Leonard O. Dayton Kendall, Elmer South Dayton 
Hall, Robt. Salamanca Kelley, A.F. South Dayton 
Hall, C.W. Wesley Kellogg, John South Dayton 
Hall, A.M. Dayton Kester, Wm. South Dayton 
Hall, R.W. Wesley Knowlton, Wm Dayton 
Howard, LeRoy Dayton     
Howard, Chester Dayton Luce, O.E. Welsey 
Howard, Hoyt Dayton Laing, David South Dayton 
Henry, Wm Dayton Leonard, Jos. N. Cottage 
Howard, Henry Dayton Lapham, G.F. Cherry Creek 
Howard, Daniel Dayton Lafferty, Albert Cottage 
Hubbard, Merton South Dayton Lafferty, D.W. Cottage 
Hubbard, Wm. South Dayton Lake, C.H. Jamestown 
Hubbard, Miner E. Dayton LeBarron, L. South Dayton 
Hubbard, Charles South Dayton Landon, Luther Cottage 
Hammond, Wm. Dayton Lamb, B.H. South Dayton 
Hillebert, Elmer Wesley Lillie, Chas Corry, Pa. 
Hillebert, George Wesley Lewis, Geo South Dayton 
Hillebert, Warren Wesley LeBarron, Howard South Dayton 
Howard, Urbin Wesley     
Howard, Fred South Dayton McFarland, P Dayton 
Herrington, C.E. South Dayton McFarland, Frank Dayton 
Hartman, Refine South Dayton McFarland, John M Dayton 
Hire, Albert Cottage McFarland, John C Dayton 
Hagerdon, Fred South Dayton McFarland, Peter Dayton 
Hagerdon, Henry South Dayton McCourt, Jos Dayton 
Hooker, Hon. W.B. Fredonia McCarthy, Jerry Dayton 
Hooker, Newton P Hamlet Milks, Edson Dayton 
Huntington, John South Dayton Milks, Newman Dayton 
Holtz, John Wesley Milks, Frank Dayton 
Howlett, H.H. Cottage Milks, Mrs. Freeman Dayton 
Howlett, Moses Cottage Markham, P.A. Dayton 
Howlett, Arthur Cottage Myers, Fred South Dayton 
Hagerdon, Geo Dayton Moran, Martin  Dayton 
Merrill, Wm Dayton Rusch, Geo. Jr Wesley 
Merrill, Heman R Dayton Rusch, Geo. Sr. Wesley 
Merrill, Will Dayton Rogers, David Fredonia 
Merrill, Irvin C Cottage Rice, C.W. Dayton 
Markham, H.A. Dayton Rider, Chas South Dayton 
Markham, J.H. Dayton Remington, Geo Wesley 
Metzker, L.J. Dayton Remington, Frank Dayton 
Marble, L.B. Dayton Remington, Almeran South Dayton 
Matteson, David Dayton Rhodes, M.J. Dayton 
Marble, R.H. Dayton Remington, H.E. South Dayton 
Moore, W.H. South Dayton Remington, Glenn South Dayton 
McCune, Peter South Dayton Roberts, A.L. South Dayton 
McCune, John South Dayton Randall, H Cottage 
Merritt, G.W. South Dayton Randall, Duane Cottage 
Morrell, Orlando Cottage Rugg, Clark South Dayton 
Mallory, A. South Dayton Rowe, N.L. South Dayton 
    Rice, Lee South Dayton 
Nelson, Chas Dayton Racher, Geo Dayton 
Nelson, August Dayton Ranlett, L. South Dayton 
Newcomb, Wm Dayton Ranlett, Will South Dayton 
Newcomb, Meade Cottage Robinson, Howard Dayton 
Newcomb, Edwin Cottage Rhodes, Merrill Dayton 
Newcomb, George Cottage     
Newcomb, Thos South Dayton Scott, Truman Dayton 
Nyhart, John Cottage Scott, William Dayton 
Nyhart, Phillip Cottage Strickland, J.P. Dayton 
Nash, Emerson South Dayton Strickland, Truman Dayton 
    Studley, A Dayton 
Olsen, N.P. Dayton Shaw, James Dayton 
Oshier, John South Dayton Sherman, A.L. South Dayton 
Oshier, Henry South Dayton Scoville, Jasper Hamburg 
Ott, Fred South Dayton Spencer, C.C. Dayton 
Oakes, C.W. South Dayton Silleman, R South Dayton 
Oakes, John South Dayton Silleman, Otis South Dayton 
    Silleman, Fred South Dayton 
Plumb, Jos  New York City  Smith, M.E. South Dayton 
Peacock, F.J.  South Dayton Smith, H.T. South Dayton 
Parke, A.G. Wesley Sharpe, F.D. Dayton 
Parke, Esek K. Wesley Sherman, Jos South Dayton 
Parke, Porter A Wesley Seeber, A South Dayton 
Parke, LA Wesley Searl, Nelson Cottage 
Pritchard, Amos Wesley Searl, Elbridge Cottage 
Potter, Silas Dayton Searl, Nathan Cottage 
Perham, W.M. Dayton Smith, Adam Cottage 
Pease, Chauncey Dayton Smith, Adam Jr. Cottage 
Parmelee, J.M. Dayton Smith, Loren P Cottage 
Perrin, Bert Dayton Stewart, Anson Dayton 
Peck, Wm Dayton Swift, Hiram South Dayton 
Perrin, Arthur Dayton Smith, W.B. Cottage 
Peck, Albert Dayton Smith, Adelbert Cottage 
Putney, John Cottage Simpson, T.R. South Dayton 
Palmer, Chas South Dayton Shults, Chas South Dayton 
Palmer, Christ South Dayton Sprague, Emory South Dayton 
Palmer, J.L. South Dayton Stafford, F.J. South Dayton 
Phillips, I.H. South Dayton Snyder, Geo South Dayton 
Peters, Fred Cottage Spire, Andrew  South Dayton 
Peterman, S.L. South Dayton Safford, J.H. South Dayton 
Phelps, W.D. South Dayton Spaulding, Henry Dayton 
Persons, Levi South Dayton Stuart, Wm Dayton 
Phillips, E South Dayton     
Phillips, Vern South Dayton Thrasher, Hon.W.S. Dayton 
Phillips, Morris Kennedy Tarbell, L.R. Wesley 
Phillips, Hamilton South Dayton Traber, Christ Dayton 
Peek, F.S. South Dayton Thompson, H South Dayton 
Phillips, E Cottage Thompson, John South Dayton 
Peavy, W South Dayton Tefft, Wm South Dayton 
    Tarbox, Irving HemlockNY 
Rich, Frank Dayton Traber, John Dayton 
Rice, H.T. South Dayton Upton Geo. South Dayton 
Remington, G.P. Dayton Umpstead, Frank South Dayton 
Volk, J.J. Dayton Wiser, Jacob Dayton 
Volk, Adam Cottage Wallace, J.R. Dayton 
Volk, Geo. C Dayton Weigand, Fred Dayton 
Vance, Samuel Dayton Weigand, Chas South Dayton 
VanSlyke, John Cottage Weigand, Louie Dayton 
Volk, Jacob South Dayton Williams, Chas South Dayton 
Volk, Peter South Dayton Whipple, B.A. South Dayton 
Volk, Wm Cottage Wilcox, M.W. Cottage 
    Wood, D.T. South Dayton 
Wilcox, W.B. Dayton Wilson, B.C. South Dayton 
Wolfe, Fred Wesley Wilson, H.T. South Dayton 
Wolfe, Chas Wesley Wilson, H.S. South Dayton 
Wolfe, Henry Wesley Wilcox, George South Dayton 
Wolfe, William South Dayton Wilcox, Elias South Dayton 
Wolfe, Wm. Jr. South Dayton Wield, Simeon South Dayton 
Waller, Clarence Wesley Ward, James South Dayton 
Wells, A.C. Jamestown West, T.R. South Dayton 
Warm, Chas South Dayton Warner, N. South Dayton 
Waite, Albert South Dayton     
Werth, Henry South Dayton Young, A.R. Dayton 
Wood, E Dayton Young, Geo South Dayton 
Wood, Alonzo Dayton Young, Geo Jr. South Dayton 
Wood, Adell Dayton Zanger, J.P. South Dayton 
Wachter, Frank Dayton Zimmerman, W.B. South Dayton 

Back To Cattaraugus County

If you have anything of genealogical or historical interest to add to this site, or if you are interested in becoming a member of the Painted Hills Genealogy Society, please contact us at:
Painted Hills

This page is maintained by the PHGS
Last Update February 2, 2020